Basic Question on Creating XML documents

Hello:

I am learning XML technology. I have a question on creating an XML document
that conforms to a DTD/XSD.

While there is a function that I can call to make sure that the XML document
is valid, I would like to know how I can create it.

Do I have to understand the DTD/XSD and code my module so that the XML
document is valid? Or, are there tools available to do this? What if the data
is in SQL Server but I have to create an XML rendition of the data that
conforms to a DTD/XSD?

Thanks.

venki

0
vvenk (1)

vvenk wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am learning XML technology. I have a question on creating an XML
> document that conforms to a DTD/XSD.
>
> While there is a function that I can call to make sure that the XML
> document is valid, I would like to know how I can create it.
>
> Do I have to understand the DTD/XSD and code my module so that the XML
> document is valid?

Yes.

> Or, are there tools available to do this?

Yes, any good XML editor can read a DTD or Schema and let you create
a valid initial document by hand to get started with. That will help
you understand the data structure, so then coding will be much easier.

> What if the
> data is in SQL Server but I have to create an XML rendition of the data
> that conforms to a DTD/XSD?

You need to understand the data structure of the database *and* the target
DTD/XSD first, then you will see more clearly what mapping you need.
Beware: there is rarely a perfect 1:1 mapping :-)

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

0
Peter

controlling spam with MSExchange.UceContentFilter.xml
Hi I need to know if there is a way of using a wild card word inconjunction with the MSExchange.UceContentFilter.xml. I will try to explain, recently our ISP who provide our first line spam filtering changed their methods of controlling spam and since this change we are getting alot more spam into our exchange systems. They delete obvious spam but the ones they are a little unsure about they now send it out and adjust the subject to include the word spam I now this sounds daft but just go along with it. So we are getting alot of spam with the different subjects all prefixed with {s...

Excel 2003 question
I have one user that currently has Excel 2003 and the rest of the organization has either Office XP or Office 2000. There is an Excel document that is use organization wide that was created in Office XP Excel. It utilizes Utilizes validation fields. These fields are lists that contains names, another contains status (Closed, Open, Waiting, etc...) and another contains misc info. When anyone uses this Excel document that has Office XP or Office 2000, everything works perfectly fine. When the individual with Excel 2003 uses this spreadsheet, upon opening, he receives an error imm...

outlook how to question
how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? tia why not send them to yourself <sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message news:n8imp1pvp9kf9v3k7lsnh9ci4hns0p99io@4ax.com... > how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? > > tia sstovall3@aol.com, you wrote on Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:32:27 -0600: > how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? In Outlook Express go to File | Export | Messages -- Best Regards Christian Goeller the files are on a cd, access to outlook express has now been lost. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:03:50 +0100, Christian ...

OE question
I wish to disable the feature that automatically blocks my attempts to listen or view WMV files and or files that need to be "assembled". Thank you for your time and help. T Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of = them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news = groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/=20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to kee...

what can i do if i want to include "<" or ">" in xml document.
hi everybody, i am useing some classes which in System.Xml to deal with xml document. what can i do if the document include "<" or ">"? Thanks. Escape them to "&lt;" and "&gt;" (excluding the surrounding quotes. ">" is ususally safe even unescaped in most contexts. Sometimes it becomes necessary to escape the quotes and the apostrophe characters -- accordingly -- with "&quot;" and "&apos;" Another character to escape almost always is the ampersand character itself -- this is escaped as "...

how to create a phone directory on labels
I want to make a new phone direcotry list with lablels. I only want first and last name and home phone and cell phone on the list so it will fit on labels that I can put in my flip phone book. I need step by step instructions on how to do this. Thanks. Mary Jane example John Doe 310-322-1311 418-234-1234 2003 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH062524751033.aspx 2007 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH100502901033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mary Jane" <Mary Jane@disc...

Rank Question
I need to figure out how to rank by manager ex: Processor Manager Score Rank Albert Scott 80.9 2 Brian Scott 91.5 1 Cathy Scott 79.3 3 Mable Delores 99.9 1 Elaine Delores 95.6 2 Tony Delores 73.5 3 I have 100 or so managers so I want a formula to calculate it automatically without any manual intervention. Thanks In EXCEL 2007, assuming your data is in range A 1 to D 7 inclusive. 1. Gives cells C 2 to C 7 inclusive a Range Name of, for ...

Disdplaying resulting XML Response as Raw XML on Web Page
This may be trivial. It was back when I did HTTP POST with XML Docs. Now on ASL.Net I'm using XML proxy classes and everything I've tried tries to act on the XML. I have a test ASPX page that I use to test web service. When response is returned I want to open a new window and disdplay result as XML. I don't want tags removed. I don't have any XLST. I just want to popup with raw XML tags and all. I don't mind invoking anoither ASPX page to display the XML. I'm guessing the is very easy, or should be. doug wrote: > This may be trivial. It was back when ...

ADFS basics
Hey all, I'm using (trying) to use ADFS to logon to my SAML 2.0 parter. In essence I would like to use AD as my source of truth. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with my logoff and trying to troubleshoot. One super basic question, the directory /adfs/ls which is used as my logoff URL (and logon URL) has a default document setup as default.aspx which does not exist. Question 1: How does pointing to the adfs/ls directory alert ADFS to which action I'd like to perform? It obviously works but I'm not sure how ADFS know whether to pop a logon screen or go...

re. Can't attach photos or Word documents to email
I had to replace all of my computer except the hard drive. Then I had to replace/repair Windows XP and download all updates including SP2. Since then, I can't attach Microsoft Word 2002 documents to email, nor can I attach Adobe Photoshop Elements 2002 photographs to email. Depending on which program I'm using I'll get the following error messages, Adobe Photoshop Elements error message: It is necessary to log on or establish an e-mail account within your mail program before you can attach to e-mail. Microsoft Word error message: Logon failed. You mus...

a CPropertySheet on CDialogBar question #2
hi,i develop a application based on MainFrame, i want to place a CDialogBar on the right of my windows and place a CPropertySheet on this DialogBar. i create a class,CMyDialogBar which derived from CDialogBar, and its Create function as below: BOOL CMyDialogBar::Create(CWnd* pParentWnd, UINT nIDTemplate, UINT nStyle, UINT nID) { // TODO: Add your specialized code here and/or call the base class CDialogBar::Create(pParentWnd, nIDTemplate, nStyle, nID); m_pDlg1 = new CDialogPage1;//m_pDlg1 is member variable of this class m_pDlg2 = new CDialogPage2;//m_pDlg2 is member variable of this cla...

Visual Basic Macros, relative position
Dear Experts, I am making a report, and I have a set of data, in a very looong row: MKT_VAL NET_ASSETS TOT_ASSETS 46 51 51 6233 6228 6228 Over 100 fields. I need this data to be changed to run down a column. MKT_VAL 46 6233 NET_ASSETS 51 6228 TOT_ASSETS 51 6228 I tried to make a macro to do this. It would be run after I copied and pasted the three column cells into another area. Sub ShiftNullData() ' ' ShiftNullData Macro ' Macro recorded 11/14/2006 by Rodger Lepinsky ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+q ' Range("A18").S...

A Question about Diffgram Updates

Create A Catalog
I would like to create a catalog for my business. I have always sourced it out, but now want to create my own. There are so many software programs out there. I'm afraid that they won't work for me. I want a catalog with 2 rows, up and down, with 8 items per row, per page. Will Publisher 2007 have a template for this? I've tried downloading templates to my old version, but I can't get the pictures to work properly. I was seeing if anyone has the program and there is a catalog template in there before I buy. Thank you so much in advance for any advice!! Sure, why n...

Question about CSocket::Receive()
I have a class derived from CSocket. I have a vague recollection that I only get one shot at calling Receive() in my override of OnReceive(). What I mean by that is that if there's 2k of data to be read but I only read 1k when I call Receive() then the other 1k gets lost. Or can I call Receive() more than once within OnReceive() but after I exit OnReceive() I lose any data that didn't read? I can't remember where I've read this or something along those lines and I can't see it in the documentation. It may be that I'm completely mistaken and it's just my ...

Creating Mailing labels using the Label Wizard
I have created a mailing label report using the label wizard. Everytime I try to run the label report I get an error Some data may not be displayed. There is not enough horizontal space on the page for the number of columns and column spacing you specified. Click Page Setup on the File menu, click the columns tab, and then reduce the number of columns or the size of of the columns. I have changed the spacing and the margins several times and continue to get the error message. Any recommendations? I have It sounds like your left/right margins plus your columns and s...

ListView question #3
Hi, I've searched on internet to find some tips how to detect when a ListView: - draw the headers (if it is header, and for which column) - draw the rows (which row / index) - draw items (to which column belongs the drawed item) i've read some articles about subclassing WndProc. I've checked that way but it's huge amount of time spent and result is really poor :-( i would like to know if there is not another way...a little bit easier Topics behind that are : - allow different types of items (not only text, but also progress bars, spinboxes,..) - Customize the header (imag...

Question No 1 for Testing Purpose
Question No 1 for Testing Purpose Ignore this "Test" <Test@Test.com> wrote in message news:165D35B4-07E0-4BFC-AB83-05CA2AF68DE1@microsoft.com... > Question No 1 for Testing Purpose > ...

How to Create an App
Dear NewsGroups Reader and Helpers. I need an Expert in Visual C++ or somethink like that... I don't know if the followin think is possible to make but i can see an application that to do that. I need to make an application using Visual C++ that do the following: 1- Have an UI that present an web page automaticly in some part of the main screen; the type of this web page is an Active Server Page (Sign In Web form that need username an password to entry). 2- The application will need to write automaticly the username and password an press the submit button. 3- So i need to extract ...

Basic Visual Basic
I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi as a starting point: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for > help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

CWnd creation question and CFrameWnd question
So you create a child window use CWnd::Create(). I can create a main window (windows window?) by using CFrameWnd::Create(). I'm trying to figure out how to create my own CFrameWnd from Cwnd and how they are related. Since CFrameWnd is a subclass of CWnd, shouldn't I be able to create a main window using CWnd::Create? It keeps asserting an error that I can't seem to trap (it just ends to app if I select Debug and if I step into it manually, I can hold down F11 for about a minute and it just keeps going through assembly code and such). I'm thinking because I send it NULL for...

Exmerge append question
Hi there, I'm currently looking into ways to doing efficient offsite storage using Brick Level Backups of the Exchange database. As the size of the resulting .PST files is obviously an issue (in terms of the time taken to copy them over a VPN connection), I had originally set it up so that it would append to the existing .pst files. This all seemed to be working fine. However, I had a user have a clearout of a load of old emails, and it was then that I noticed that the .pst file hadn't reduced in size - although it appends any new mails to the .PST file, it doesn't appear to dele...

MSP VBA Basic Help Needed!
I'm trying to add common text names from a Text Column in MSP-07. I'm using Rod Gill's book to learn VBA for Office and primarily MSP and have also emailed him specifically about whether or not MSP-07 is even capable of accomplishing the simple report I'm needing. Basically I have a column (Text26) with some specific verbage which will be standardized and used for several real schedules in our standard template with our company. The verbage is simply: * Early Delivery * Late Delivery * On-Time Delivery * Not Delivered The verbage is calculated as a formula...

Newbie question
Hello, I am a newbie to xml and xpath. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I need to parse an xml file (generated by a Sharepoint list file) in the format below. For example, I need to select all the nodes where the ows_Parent = '6;#miCommunities'. (Is there a LIKE operator in xpath (e.g, ows_Parent LIKE '%miCommunities'))? I'm not able to do even the simplest query on this xml file. I keep getting the error message: "Namespace, Manager or xsltContext needed. This query has a prefix, variable or user defined function." Any help y...

Email address is auto-generated each time a public folder is creat
Hello..... Every time I create a Public Folder, it is automatically mail enabled. I thought I should have the option of enabling it or not. Is there a setting on the Exchange server that will give me the option of adding an email address instead of automatically assigning one for every folder? thanks -- dgoizueta Is your Exch org in mixed mode? On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:00:02 -0700, dgoizueta <dgoizueta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello..... >Every time I create a Public Folder, it is automatically mail enabled. I >thought I should have the option of enabling it ...