using excel from dotnet

situation:
I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
Also need to write extracted data to excel.

problem:
At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
(both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)

I need to work at both locations.
can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)

can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but
not the latest) interface?

i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just
copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy the
vbproj file back and forth?

I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files when
opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the dvb
and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb files
should work fine?

any tips?
thanks
mark

0
mp

You should use XP PIAs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912

and reference them from your project - this way your application will run
just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office

Hope this helps

"mp" wrote:

> situation:
> I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
> Also need to write extracted data to excel.
>
> problem:
> At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
> (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)
>
> I need to work at both locations.
> can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)
>
> can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but
> not the latest) interface?
>
> i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just
> copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy the
> vbproj file back and forth?
>
> I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files when
> opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the dvb
> and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
> edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb files
> should work fine?
>
> any tips?
> thanks
> mark
>

> .

Thank you! I wasn't aware of those.
I see two options oxppia.exe
and
PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
description sounds similar except one says redistributable and appears to
have installation instructions.
Do you know the difference? how to decide which to use?
mark

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:67D698CB-E5BF-45F0-95BF-75BA7D12346D@microsoft.com...
> You should use XP PIAs:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912
>
> and reference them from your project - this way your application will run
> just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office
>
> Hope this helps
>
> "mp" wrote:
>
>> situation:
>> I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
>> Also need to write extracted data to excel.
>>
>> problem:
>> At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
>> (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)
>>
>> I need to work at both locations.
>> can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)
>>
>> can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but
>> not the latest) interface?
>>
>> i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and
>> just
>> copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy
>> the
>> vbproj file back and forth?
>>
>> I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files
>> when
>> opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the
>> dvb
>> and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
>> edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb
>> files
>> should work fine?
>>
>> any tips?
>> thanks
>> mark
>>

>> .

0
mp
2/9/2010 12:58:01 AM
I will try the PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
Is there a best use practice for where to install them? Windows\System32 ?
I presume if they are compiled into a net dll they don't need installed on
user machines, just the developer machine?

thanks
mark

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:67D698CB-E5BF-45F0-95BF-75BA7D12346D@microsoft.com...
> You should use XP PIAs:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912
>
> and reference them from your project - this way your application will run
> just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office
>
> Hope this helps
>
> "mp" wrote:
>
>> situation:
>> I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
>> Also need to write extracted data to excel.
>>
>> problem:
>> At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
>> (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)
>>
>> I need to work at both locations.
>> can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)
>>
>> can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but
>> not the latest) interface?
>>
>> i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and
>> just
>> copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy
>> the
>> vbproj file back and forth?
>>
>> I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files
>> when
>> opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the
>> dvb
>> and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
>> edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb
>> files
>> should work fine?
>>
>> any tips?
>> thanks
>> mark
>>

>> .

0
mp
2/9/2010 1:22:37 AM
Tried to install o2007pia.msi (double clicked)
i get the following error dialog:

Error 1316. Setup cannot read from the file (path to msi)\PiaRedist.msi.
Check your connection to the network, or Cd-rom drive. For other potential
solutions to this problem, see Setup.chm

there is no Setup.chm or PiaRedist.msi in the downloaded exe

anyone know about this one?
thnaks
mark

"mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
>I will try the PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
> Is there a best use practice for where to install them? Windows\System32 ?
> I presume if they are compiled into a net dll they don't need installed on
> user machines, just the developer machine?
>
> thanks
> mark
>
> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>> You should use XP PIAs:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912
>>
>> and reference them from your project - this way your application will run
>> just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> "mp" wrote:
>>
>>> situation:
>>> I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
>>> Also need to write extracted data to excel.
>>>
>>> problem:
>>> At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
>>> (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)
>>>
>>> I need to work at both locations.
>>> can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)
>>>
>>> can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common
>>> (but
>>> not the latest) interface?
>>>
>>> i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and
>>> just
>>> copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy
>>> the
>>> vbproj file back and forth?
>>>
>>> I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files
>>> when
>>> opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the
>>> dvb
>>> and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
>>> edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb
>>> files
>>> should work fine?
>>>
>>> any tips?
>>> thanks
>>> mark
>>>

>>> .

0
mp
2/9/2010 1:39:54 AM
ok, abandoned that one
tried the other one and it looks more hopefull
it extracted a large number of interop dlls
installation instructions in Readme.htm say to use vis studio tools| vis stu
..net command prompt
i don't have vis stu, just express
am i hosed?
is .net command prompt different from regular windows command prompt?

> Tried to install o2007pia.msi (double clicked)
> i get the following error dialog:
>
> Error 1316. Setup cannot read from the file (path to msi)\PiaRedist.msi.
> Check your connection to the network, or Cd-rom drive. For other potential
> solutions to this problem, see Setup.chm
>
> there is no Setup.chm or PiaRedist.msi in the downloaded exe
>
> anyone know about this one?
> thnaks
> mark
>
> "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
>>I will try the PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
>> Is there a best use practice for where to install them? Windows\System32
>> ?
>> I presume if they are compiled into a net dll they don't need installed
>> on user machines, just the developer machine?
>>
>> thanks
>> mark
>>
>> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> You should use XP PIAs:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912
>>>
>>> and reference them from your project - this way your application will
>>> run
>>> just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office
>>>
>>> Hope this helps

0
mp
2/9/2010 2:04:57 AM
mp,

search for gacutil file on your PC, then update the path to this utility and
run register.bat from the extracted folder

"mp" wrote:

> ok, abandoned that one
> tried the other one and it looks more hopefull
> it extracted a large number of interop dlls
> installation instructions in Readme.htm say to use vis studio tools| vis stu
> ..net command prompt
> i don't have vis stu, just express
> am i hosed?
> is .net command prompt different from regular windows command prompt?
>
> thanks
> mark
>
> "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> > Tried to install o2007pia.msi (double clicked)
> > i get the following error dialog:
> >
> > Error 1316. Setup cannot read from the file (path to msi)\PiaRedist.msi.
> > Check your connection to the network, or Cd-rom drive. For other potential
> > solutions to this problem, see Setup.chm
> >
> > there is no Setup.chm or PiaRedist.msi in the downloaded exe
> >
> > anyone know about this one?
> > thnaks
> > mark
> >
> > "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> >>I will try the PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
> >> Is there a best use practice for where to install them? Windows\System32
> >> ?
> >> I presume if they are compiled into a net dll they don't need installed
> >> on user machines, just the developer machine?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> mark
> >>
> >> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote in message

> .

I was thinking to maybe just install the excel interop (3 or 4 files) rather
than register.bat which installs all as far as i could tell from the readme.

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:394857C1-C70F-4B0E-8D93-3E6790405D7B@microsoft.com...
> mp,
>
> search for gacutil file on your PC, then update the path to this utility
> and
> run register.bat from the extracted folder
>
> "mp" wrote:
>
>> ok, abandoned that one
>> tried the other one and it looks more hopefull
>> it extracted a large number of interop dlls
>> installation instructions in Readme.htm say to use vis studio tools| vis
>> stu
>> ..net command prompt
>> i don't have vis stu, just express
>> am i hosed?
>> is .net command prompt different from regular windows command prompt?
>>
>> thanks
>> mark
>>
>> "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
>> > Tried to install o2007pia.msi (double clicked)
>> > i get the following error dialog:
>> >
>> > Error 1316. Setup cannot read from the file (path to
>> > msi)\PiaRedist.msi.
>> > Check your connection to the network, or Cd-rom drive. For other
>> > potential
>> > solutions to this problem, see Setup.chm
>> >
>> > there is no Setup.chm or PiaRedist.msi in the downloaded exe
>> >
>> > anyone know about this one?
>> > thnaks
>> > mark
>> >
>> > "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message

>> .

0
mp
2/10/2010 12:32:49 AM
hmmm, thought I replied the other day but i don't see it.
I was thinking of just installing the ones for excel, rather than all of
them, which i think the register bat is for.
need to study the install instructions some more, but it looks like you're
saying i can run gacutil just from a regular command window?

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:394857C1-C70F-4B0E-8D93-3E6790405D7B@microsoft.com...
> mp,
>
> search for gacutil file on your PC,

then update the path to this utility

do you mean change the environment Path to include that folder?
i think so

> run register.bat from the extracted folder

so then i cd to the extracted folder and since i added the gacutil path to
env i can run from this folder
i think i get it

snip

0
mp
2/11/2010 12:34:34 AM
ok, i'm not much of a dos guy so not sure what i did wrong
I went into command prompt to add the path to gacutil to the path env var.
at command prompt i entered
Path %Path% C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin
according to the help that should have appended the 'PathToGacUtil' to the
existing path
at the time it returned the whole list with it appended, but the next time i
ran Path, it wasn't there at the end of the list
???
when i cd to the extracted folder and enter
gacutil -i Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll
i get gacutil not recognized...etc
then i check Path and the folder(to gacutil) is not there anymore

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:394857C1-C70F-4B0E-8D93-3E6790405D7B@microsoft.com...
> mp,
>
> search for gacutil file on your PC, then update the path to this utility
> and
> run register.bat from the extracted folder

0
mp
2/11/2010 1:16:39 AM
mp wrote:
> ok, i'm not much of a dos guy so not sure what i did wrong
> I went into command prompt to add the path to gacutil to the path env
> var. at command prompt i entered
> Path %Path% C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin
> according to the help that should have appended the 'PathToGacUtil'
> to the existing path
> at the time it returned the whole list with it appended, but the next
> time i ran Path, it wasn't there at the end of the list

You need a semi-colon in there for the path separator and quotes around the
path because it has spaces in it:

Path %Path%;"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin"

--
Andrew

0
Andrew
2/11/2010 9:53:50 AM
"Andrew Morton" <akm@in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> mp wrote:
>> ok, i'm not much of a dos guy so not sure what i did wrong
>> I went into command prompt to add the path to gacutil to the path env
>> var. at command prompt i entered
>> Path %Path% C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin
>> according to the help that should have appended the 'PathToGacUtil'
>> to the existing path
>> at the time it returned the whole list with it appended, but the next
>> time i ran Path, it wasn't there at the end of the list
>
> You need a semi-colon in there for the path separator and quotes around
> the path because it has spaces in it:
>
> Path %Path%;"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin"
>
> --
> Andrew

Thanks, I figured out the semicolon part when i noticed my path is now
screwed up.(missing ";"   )
I'm looking for a windows way to change path so i don't have to retype whole
thing at command prompt but haven't found one (i'm afraid i'll do typo and
make it even worse)

I saw a reference to doing it through control panel but that doesn't return
the same path as the Path variable does - not even close - so dont' know
where that advice came from (on wiki i think)

0
mp

Excel slow to open a book, but fast empty
Cheers! My Excel 2002 has been working fine, but lately has got a problem: it is very, very slow when opening an xls file by clicking it. It is fast as it should when I open it empty from the start menu. If I create the simplest possible book by just typing something in one cell and saving it, opening it is still slow. Perhaps this format is easier: 0. Excel has been working as it should. 1. Fast when running from start menu, opening an empty book. 2. Slow when clicking an xls file, independent of book complexity. Excel comes up with a transparent main window, but with everything else visi...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Why does Excel lag Word in the simple stuff?
Like choosing the default file location in Office 2007? Like having to alter basic Windows parameters just to change the default type for comments? Little stuff that says a lot about the quality of Microsoft programming and interface design. For several versions Microsoft said it was impossible, personal correspondence, to have combo-boxes in Word forms without writing macros although they were coded into Access. Voila, combo-boxes achieve the impossible in Word 2007. Ya gotta love (or something opposite) those guys . . Either way you get to pay full OS prices for Vista SP3 aka Win 7. ...

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

EXCELL Protection
There needs to be better protection on locked cells. It is possible to alter the formatting of a locked cell by pasting into the cell. Example pasting an entry copied from a % format into a currancy format changes the cell to %. This also follows with coulours etc. Secondly a formula in a locked cell can be corrupted by inadvertantly removing cells that it refers to and then replacing them. Mald Hi have you protected the sheet? (Tools - Protection') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mald wrote: > There needs to be better protection on locked cells. > > It is ...

topographical data maps in excel
I have seen this done, and would like to know how to create topgraphical maps of data sets using excel. I want to take a sample of data ponts and plot the points (easy), than color the plot based upon the values of the points You seem to have been neglected by our community. Yes, it can be done, if I understand your intention correctly. The topography in your approach means, in a sense, the 3D chart. The first two of the three values defininig each point specify the x- and y-coordinates (like on a map); the third value is represented by prescribed colors or shades. You must have you...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Allow temporarily use of right click

Excel Pivot Table with Access
I have Excel Pivot Tables that link to an access database to pull only certain info. I would like users to be able to update their individual pivot table without being able to change the query to include additional information. When I disable pivot table use, the pivot table won't update on open. Thanks for any help. -- Jack ...