How to get all the texts on all type controls in form?

I want to make the multi-languages program, want to get all texts of each
control item in a form, then read the XML file (Control Name and Text) to
write to the text of control, and have wrote some codes, but seem that it's
complicated. Can anyone tell easy method or sample? thank you.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
   Public Shared Sub AllControlOnForm(ByVal FormName As Form, ByVal xPath As
String, Optional ByVal ToolTipName As ToolTip = Nothing)
            Try
                Dim ReturnValue As String = GetXMLText(xPath, FormName.Name)
                If ReturnValue <> "" Then
                    FormName.Text = ReturnValue
                End If
                CheckChildControl(FormName, xPath, ToolTipName)
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try

        End Sub

        Private Shared Sub CheckChildControl(ByVal Control As Control, ByVal
xPath As String, ByVal ToolTipName As ToolTip)
            Try
                For Each EachControl As Control In Control.Controls
                    Try
                        If TypeOf (EachControl) Is ToolStrip Then
                        ElseIf TypeOf (EachControl) Is TreeView Then
                           TreeViewGetLanguageText
                        ElseIf TypeOf (EachControl) Is ListView Then
                        ElseIf TypeOf (EachControl) Is CheckBox Then
                        ElseIf TypeOf (EachControl) Is TabControl Then
                        CheckChildControl(EachControl, xPath, ToolTipName)
                    Catch ex As Exception
                    End Try
                Next
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try
        End Sub

 Private Shared Sub TreeViewGetLanguageText(ByVal TreeViewName As TreeView,
ByVal xPath As String)
            Try
                For Each EachNode As TreeNode In TreeViewName.Nodes
                    Try
                        Dim ReturnValue As String = ""
                        ReturnValue = GetXMLText(xPath, EachNode.Name)
                        If ReturnValue <> "" Then
                            EachNode.Text = ReturnValue
                        End If
                        CheckChildNode(EachNode, xPath)
                    Catch ex As Exception
                    End Try
                Next
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try
        End Sub

        Private Shared Sub CheckChildNode(ByVal TN As TreeNode, ByVal xPath
As String)
            Try
                For Each EachNode As TreeNode In TN.Nodes
                    Try
                        Dim ReturnValue As String = ""
                        ReturnValue = GetXMLText(xPath, EachNode.Name)
                        If ReturnValue <> "" Then
                            EachNode.Text = ReturnValue
                        End If
                        CheckChildNode(EachNode, xPath)
                    Catch ex As Exception
                    End Try
                Next
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try
        End Sub

0
yxq

On 2/4/2010 7:08 AM, yxq wrote:
> [...]
>              Try
>                  For Each EachNode As TreeNode In TreeViewName.Nodes
>                      Try
>                          Dim ReturnValue As String = ""
>                          ReturnValue = GetXMLText(xPath, EachNode.Name)
>                          If ReturnValue<>  "" Then
>                              EachNode.Text = ReturnValue
>                          End If
>                          CheckChildNode(EachNode, xPath)
>                      Catch ex As Exception
>                      End Try
>                  Next
>              Catch ex As Exception
>              End Try
>          End Sub
>
>          Private Shared Sub CheckChildNode(ByVal TN As TreeNode, ByVal xPath
> As String)
>              Try
>                  For Each EachNode As TreeNode In TN.Nodes
>                      Try
>                          Dim ReturnValue As String = ""
>                          ReturnValue = GetXMLText(xPath, EachNode.Name)

If you want to read and write the Text value of any control to and from
xml files, then you should not need to worry about what type the
specific control is.  Just reference the controls .Text property.

The TreeNode items in your form do present a problem, if you really want
to translate the text to various languages.  Most apps though, I
believe, show changing data in treeviews, such as windows explorer
showing files and folder.  It just doesn't make sense to show the
filename translated to some other language, as an example.

I would make your code generic to any control object, then for specific
objects that you know you use, and want a translation of, simply handle
them in different routines.  You are right this is complicated, but I
think it is because you are trying to handle everything from one driver
routine.

--
Mike
0

> [...]
>>          End Sub
>>

> If you want to read and write the Text value of any control to and from
> xml files, then you should not need to worry about what type the specific
> control is.  Just reference the controls .Text property.
>
> The TreeNode items in your form do present a problem, if you really want
> to translate the text to various languages.  Most apps though, I believe,
> show changing data in treeviews, such as windows explorer showing files
> and folder.  It just doesn't make sense to show the filename translated to
> some other language, as an example.
>
> I would make your code generic to any control object, then for specific
> objects that you know you use, and want a translation of, simply handle
> them in different routines.  You are right this is complicated, but I
> think it is because you are trying to handle everything from one driver

0
yxq
2/5/2010 11:53:11 PM
On 2/5/2010 6:53 PM, yxq wrote:
> Thank you for your help, could you please tell the code how to set the Text
> property for all type Control?

Put a bunch of controls on a form, then in your form's constructor, do this:

     Public Sub New()

         ' This call is required by the Windows Form Designer.
         InitializeComponent()

         ' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.
         For Each ctl As Control In Controls
             ctl.Text = "Hi there!"
         Next
     End Sub

--
Mike
0

> On 2/5/2010 6:53 PM, yxq wrote:
>> Thank you for your help, could you please tell the code how to set the
>> Text
>> property for all type Control?
>>

> Put a bunch of controls on a form, then in your form's constructor, do
> this:
>
>     Public Sub New()
>
>         ' This call is required by the Windows Form Designer.
>         InitializeComponent()
>
>         ' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.
>         For Each ctl As Control In Controls
>             ctl.Text = "Hi there!"
>         Next
>     End Sub
>

> --
> Mike

0
yxq
2/6/2010 2:58:40 PM
On 2/6/2010 9:58 AM, yxq wrote:
> No, for example ToolStripItem control, tooltips, the column text of
> ListView, tab page text of TabControl etc, their texts will not be set....
>
>> On 2/5/2010 6:53 PM, yxq wrote:
>>> Thank you for your help, could you please tell the code how to set the
>>> Text
>>> property for all type Control?
>>>

>> Put a bunch of controls on a form, then in your form's constructor, do
>> this:
>>
>>      Public Sub New()
>>
>>          ' This call is required by the Windows Form Designer.
>>          InitializeComponent()
>>
>>          ' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.
>>          For Each ctl As Control In Controls
>>              ctl.Text = "Hi there!"
>>          Next
>>      End Sub
>>

>> --
>> Mike

(Sorry if this is a repost, but it hasn't shown in about an hour)

I took your use of the work _control_ to mean objects inheriting from
System.Windows.Controls.Control.

This code in your constructor, should do what you want.  It's using
reflection, so there may likely be a better way.  The code finds any
declared field in the form which has a property called "Text", and sets
its value.

Dim t As Type = Me.GetType()
Dim fiList As FieldInfo() = t.GetFields _
   (BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.NonPublic)

For Each fi As FieldInfo In fiList
   Dim ftype As Type = fi.FieldType
   Dim ftextprop As PropertyInfo = _
     ftype.GetProperty("Text", _
     BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)

   If (ftextprop IsNot Nothing) Then
     Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
     ftextprop.SetValue(obj, "Hi there!", Nothing)
   End If
Next

--
Mike
0

> On 2/6/2010 9:58 AM, yxq wrote:
>> No, for example ToolStripItem control, tooltips, the column text of
>> ListView, tab page text of TabControl etc, their texts will not be
>> set....

>>> Put a bunch of controls on a form, then in your form's constructor, do
>>> this:
>>>
>>>      Public Sub New()
>>>
>>>          ' This call is required by the Windows Form Designer.
>>>          InitializeComponent()
>>>
>>>          ' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.
>>>          For Each ctl As Control In Controls
>>>              ctl.Text = "Hi there!"
>>>          Next
>>>      End Sub
>>>

>>> --
>>> Mike
>>

> (Sorry if this is a repost, but it hasn't shown in about an hour)
>

> I took your use of the work _control_ to mean objects inheriting from
> System.Windows.Controls.Control.
>
> This code in your constructor, should do what you want.  It's using
> reflection, so there may likely be a better way.  The code finds any
> declared field in the form which has a property called "Text", and sets
> its value.
>
> Dim t As Type = Me.GetType()
> Dim fiList As FieldInfo() = t.GetFields _
>   (BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.NonPublic)
>
> For Each fi As FieldInfo In fiList
>   Dim ftype As Type = fi.FieldType
>   Dim ftextprop As PropertyInfo = _
>     ftype.GetProperty("Text", _
>     BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)
>
>   If (ftextprop IsNot Nothing) Then
>     Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
>     ftextprop.SetValue(obj, "Hi there!", Nothing)
>   End If
> Next
>

> --
> Mike

0
yxq
2/7/2010 12:11:39 PM
Wow, you are awesome! but how to know the Control Name (How to get the obj
Name)? thank you very much.

"yxq" <gayxq@163.net> д����Ϣ����:eQfQ76%23pKHA.4336@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Thank you, but i do not understand the reflection, and i will research
> your code...
>

>> On 2/6/2010 9:58 AM, yxq wrote:
>>> No, for example ToolStripItem control, tooltips, the column text of
>>> ListView, tab page text of TabControl etc, their texts will not be
>>> set....

>> (Sorry if this is a repost, but it hasn't shown in about an hour)
>>

>> I took your use of the work _control_ to mean objects inheriting from
>> System.Windows.Controls.Control.
>>
>> This code in your constructor, should do what you want.  It's using
>> reflection, so there may likely be a better way.  The code finds any
>> declared field in the form which has a property called "Text", and sets
>> its value.
>>
>> Dim t As Type = Me.GetType()
>> Dim fiList As FieldInfo() = t.GetFields _
>>   (BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.NonPublic)
>>
>> For Each fi As FieldInfo In fiList
>>   Dim ftype As Type = fi.FieldType
>>   Dim ftextprop As PropertyInfo = _
>>     ftype.GetProperty("Text", _
>>     BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)
>>
>>   If (ftextprop IsNot Nothing) Then
>>     Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
>>     ftextprop.SetValue(obj, "Hi there!", Nothing)
>>   End If
>> Next
>>

>> --
>> Mike

0
yxq
2/7/2010 12:57:27 PM
On 2/7/2010 7:57 AM, yxq wrote:
> Wow, you are awesome! but how to know the Control Name (How to get the obj
> Name)? thank you very much.
>   Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
>   ftextprop.SetValue(obj, "Hi there!", Nothing)

This version gets the name of the item in the string variable 'txt'.

Dim t As Type = Me.GetType()
Dim fiList As FieldInfo() = t.GetFields _
   (BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.NonPublic)

For Each fi As FieldInfo In fiList
   Dim ftype As Type = fi.FieldType
   Dim ftextprop As PropertyInfo = _
     ftype.GetProperty("Text", _
     BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)

   If (ftextprop IsNot Nothing) Then
     Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
     Dim ftnameprop As PropertyInfo = _
       ftype.GetProperty("Name", _
         BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)
     Dim txt As String = "Hi there!"
     If (ftnameprop IsNot Nothing) Then
       txt = CType(ftnameprop.GetValue(obj, Nothing), String)
     End If

     ftextprop.SetValue(obj, txt, Nothing)
   End If
Next

--
Mike
0

"Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com>
??????:eLsEQ4$pKHA.5224@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> On 2/7/2010 7:57 AM, yxq wrote:
>> Wow, you are awesome! but how to know the Control Name (How to get the
>> obj
>> Name)? thank you very much.
>>   Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
>>   ftextprop.SetValue(obj, "Hi there!", Nothing)
>>

> This version gets the name of the item in the string variable 'txt'.
>
> Dim t As Type = Me.GetType()
> Dim fiList As FieldInfo() = t.GetFields _
>   (BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.NonPublic)
>
> For Each fi As FieldInfo In fiList
>   Dim ftype As Type = fi.FieldType
>   Dim ftextprop As PropertyInfo = _
>     ftype.GetProperty("Text", _
>     BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)
>
>   If (ftextprop IsNot Nothing) Then
>     Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
>     Dim ftnameprop As PropertyInfo = _
>       ftype.GetProperty("Name", _
>         BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)
>     Dim txt As String = "Hi there!"
>     If (ftnameprop IsNot Nothing) Then
>       txt = CType(ftnameprop.GetValue(obj, Nothing), String)
>     End If
>
>     ftextprop.SetValue(obj, txt, Nothing)
>   End If
> Next
>

> --
> Mike

0
yxq
2/8/2010 10:23:12 AM
Hello Mike,
Could you please tell the code that get all the control names and it's text
to two strings at the same time?
Thank you very much

> Thank you, i will research that.
>
> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com>
> ??????:eLsEQ4$pKHA.5224@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> On 2/7/2010 7:57 AM, yxq wrote:
>>> Wow, you are awesome! but how to know the Control Name (How to get the
>>> obj
>>> Name)? thank you very much.
>>>   Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
>>>   ftextprop.SetValue(obj, "Hi there!", Nothing)
>>>

>> This version gets the name of the item in the string variable 'txt'.
>>
>> Dim t As Type = Me.GetType()
>> Dim fiList As FieldInfo() = t.GetFields _
>>   (BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.NonPublic)
>>
>> For Each fi As FieldInfo In fiList
>>   Dim ftype As Type = fi.FieldType
>>   Dim ftextprop As PropertyInfo = _
>>     ftype.GetProperty("Text", _
>>     BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)
>>
>>   If (ftextprop IsNot Nothing) Then
>>     Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
>>     Dim ftnameprop As PropertyInfo = _
>>       ftype.GetProperty("Name", _
>>         BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)
>>     Dim txt As String = "Hi there!"
>>     If (ftnameprop IsNot Nothing) Then
>>       txt = CType(ftnameprop.GetValue(obj, Nothing), String)
>>     End If
>>
>>     ftextprop.SetValue(obj, txt, Nothing)
>>   End If
>> Next
>>

>> --
>> Mike

0
yxq
2/9/2010 10:11:25 AM
I understanded your code fully, thank you very much.

"yxq" <gayxq@163.com> д����Ϣ news:u7jfABXqKHA.6140@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hello Mike,
> Could you please tell the code that get all the control names and it's
> text to two strings at the same time?
> Thank you very much
>

>> Thank you, i will research that.
>>
>> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com>
>> ??????:eLsEQ4$pKHA.5224@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>

>>> This version gets the name of the item in the string variable 'txt'.
>>>
>>> Dim t As Type = Me.GetType()
>>> Dim fiList As FieldInfo() = t.GetFields _
>>>   (BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.NonPublic)
>>>
>>> For Each fi As FieldInfo In fiList
>>>   Dim ftype As Type = fi.FieldType
>>>   Dim ftextprop As PropertyInfo = _
>>>     ftype.GetProperty("Text", _
>>>     BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)
>>>
>>>   If (ftextprop IsNot Nothing) Then
>>>     Dim obj As Object = fi.GetValue(Me)
>>>     Dim ftnameprop As PropertyInfo = _
>>>       ftype.GetProperty("Name", _
>>>         BindingFlags.Instance Or BindingFlags.Public)
>>>     Dim txt As String = "Hi there!"
>>>     If (ftnameprop IsNot Nothing) Then
>>>       txt = CType(ftnameprop.GetValue(obj, Nothing), String)
>>>     End If
>>>
>>>     ftextprop.SetValue(obj, txt, Nothing)
>>>   End If
>>> Next
>>>

>>> --
>>> Mike

0
yxq

How to change Static Text property in a function?
I want to change Background(forground) Color of a Static Text control in member function. How to do that? sxy7711 wrote: > I want to change Background(forground) Color of a Static Text control in > member function. How to do that? > > See the example in the doc page for OnCtlColor. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] ...

Using Outlook Custom Forms through OWA
Hi all, Is there any way to implement this? We have an Exchange 2003 server with Sp2. Users out of office hope to use outlook custom forms through OWA. Can this be done? ...

expression with mixed types
Hello! if I have this expression long = int * uint * ushort * short; how is the implicit conversion done here for the different types in this expression. //Tony Tony Johansson wrote: > Hello! > > if I have this expression > long = int * uint * ushort * short; That's not legal C# syntax. Are you trying to refer to some arbitrary expression where the operands have the given types? > how is the implicit conversion done here for the different types in this > expression. See section 6.1, "Implicit conversions" in the C# specificati...

03Excel shldn't chg col hdrs to nos after text to col, keep alpha
2003 EXCEL: After using text-to-columns, column headers change to numbers, the same as the rows. Afterwards, it's difficult to create formulas to work with in the spread sheets, especially when you want to use absolute references. I looked through help but found no relief. The only way I could figure out how to change them back is to close the workbook, open a previous workbook that has alpha across the top, and then reopen the problem workbook. Excel adopts the first spread sheet's view and carries it over to the problem workbook. Save it then. If anyone else knows a keyb...

A Crystal Beginner

Alter position of "Duplicate Receipt" text on receipt
Hi, I'm not too familiar with XML, but I'd really like to be able to move the position of the text "Duplicate Receipt" into the main body of the receipt- below the store address- as opposed to having it as a header and footer. Can anyone help? Thanks. hi Tara, you can do so, Open the receipt.xml file and find there are 2 boolean paramter <SET name="ShowDuplicateBefore" custom="false" description="Show Duplicate At Top" type="vbBoolean"> True </SET> <SET name="ShowDuplicateAfter" custom="true&q...

Detect if MDB has autoexec or a startup form
Does anyone know of way to detect if a MDB has a autoexec or startup form in use without openned the MDB using access.exe. Many thanks in advance Function StartUp(PathToMDB As String) As String On Error GoTo EH Dim db As DAO.Database Dim strMessage As String Dim strStartForm As String If Len(Dir(PathToMDB)) > 0 Then Set db = OpenDatabase(PathToMDB) strStartForm = db.Properties("StartUpForm") If Len(strStartForm) > 0 Then strMessage = PathToMDB & " specifies " & _ strStartForm & " for startup." &...

Get paid while you get online!!

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Convert a formula into text
I downloaded a text file from a client data software. Now when I opened the txt file in excel it converted one column into formulas when it should have been txt. For example in the txt file reads "-AD", now in excel reads "=- AD". It's giving me a display "#NAME?". What I really need is just to get rid of the "=" sign. I tried diferent ways. I used txt functions like text, trim, left, right, etc. I also tried copy and paste as value. Is there any other way to do this process smoother and faster? what do you suggest I need to do? This file as ...

Outlook 2003 and Custom Form
I have many problems with Outlook 2003 and Coustom Form: frmCache.dat not UpDated Error when i open this form Ecc.ecc. There is a fix or a patch ( italian language ) for these problem. Thanks Claudio ...

inserting texts in cell based on conditions
Hi, I would very much appreciate if someone could help me solving a problem, illustrated by the following example: Column A B C 1 1 "LB" 2 1 "DK" 3 4 1 1 "LB/DK" If there's a 1 in column A, the corresponding cell in column C should get the text "LB" inserted into it. If there's a 1 in column C, the corresponding cell in column C should get the text "DK" inserted into it. If both column A and B have ones in them, the corresponding cell should get the...

Checking specific text string in excel files stored in a folder
Hi, I need to write a code that can do the following: 1) prompt user to select a particular folder 2) search for a particular text string, for e.g., ABCD in all the excel files in that folder (the number of files in the folder will vary and so does the names of the files). Is it possible to specify the string that we want to search on the fly when macro is run? 3) create a simple report that contains the filename in one column and yes / no in the second column that tell me which file names contain that keyword (it will be great if the path of the file can be recorded in the 3rd colum...

How do I get??

How to clear all checkboxes on a form?
That's it. How is it possible to create push-button functionality that resets all checkboxes to empty? Also, is it possible that pushing a button could increase a counter, or light up a first, second and third cell, that would then be reset by the button I asked for above? I thank you for your time. Arlen For Each ctl In Me.Controls If TypeName(ctl) = "CheckBox" Then ctl.Value = False End I Next ctl -- HTH Bob "Arlen" <Arlen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:700CD724-30FB-4D93-AF50-451FB658502...

Get notified when Out of Office is on

Getting Control ID in Active X control