HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

I have an application with a .chm help-file.
But I have some questions about the behaviour of the help-window.

I use a modal application window and I can start the help.
The help windows appears but it is allways in foreground of my application
window.
I can set the input focus on my window, the help window becomes inactive but
I cannot  move my window over the help window.
So I have to close the help window or minimize it or move it aside of my
application window when I want to go on in my application.

The other problem is when I minimize the help window and then open a dialog
window in my application and call the help again , the help windows resize
and become visible again.
But when I try to set the focus on the help window, it becomes invisible
again.

Is this a configuration problem of the help window settings in the html help
workshop?
Is there any documentation aviable about the interaction between my
application (vb-basic net) and the html help window.
I mean not how to navigate to help topics or so, my problem is to control
the behavior of the help window.

Or must I manually control the help window using its process and window
handle.

Thanks

Manfred

Manfred:

I had the same problem and solved it by creating (but not showing) a new
Form in my application's Load method.

	Private Shared m_helpForm As Form
	m_helpForm = New Form()
	m_helpForm.CreateControl()

And I added a method to my application's main form.

Public Shared Sub RequestHelp(ByVal p_topic As String)
	Help.ShowHelp(m_helpForm, "myhelp.chm", HelpNavigator.Topic, p_topic)
End Sub

Then, whenever I need to pop up a help window I just call this method.

Making this invisible form the parent of the help window solves the
problem for me.

If there is a better solution for this behavior I would invite someone
to post it.

--

Dennis

***

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 01:56:01 -0800, Manfred Z.
<ManfredZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an application with a .chm help-file.
>But I have some questions about the behaviour of the help-window.
>
>I use a modal application window and I can start the help.
>The help windows appears but it is allways in foreground of my application
>window.
>I can set the input focus on my window, the help window becomes inactive but
>I cannot  move my window over the help window.
>So I have to close the help window or minimize it or move it aside of my
>application window when I want to go on in my application.
>
>The other problem is when I minimize the help window and then open a dialog
>window in my application and call the help again , the help windows resize
>and become visible again.
>But when I try to set the focus on the help window, it becomes invisible
>again.
>
>Is this a configuration problem of the help window settings in the html help
>workshop?
>Is there any documentation aviable about the interaction between my
>application (vb-basic net) and the html help window.
>I mean not how to navigate to help topics or so, my problem is to control
>the behavior of the help window.
>
>Or must I manually control the help window using its process and window
>handle.
0
Dennis
1/23/2010 12:09:27 PM
Just to add...

You also may need to add handlers for Me.HelpButtonClicked and
MyBase.HelpRequested.

--

Dennis

***

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 07:09:27 -0500, Dennis <nobody@nowhere.invalid>
wrote:

>Manfred:
>
>I had the same problem and solved it by creating (but not showing) a new
>Form in my application's Load method.
>
>	Private Shared m_helpForm As Form
>	m_helpForm = New Form()
>	m_helpForm.CreateControl()
>
>And I added a method to my application's main form.
>
>Public Shared Sub RequestHelp(ByVal p_topic As String)
>	Help.ShowHelp(m_helpForm, "myhelp.chm", HelpNavigator.Topic, p_topic)
>End Sub
>
>Then, whenever I need to pop up a help window I just call this method.
>
>Making this invisible form the parent of the help window solves the
>problem for me.
>
>If there is a better solution for this behavior I would invite someone
>to post it.
>
>--
>
>Dennis
>
>***
>
>On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 01:56:01 -0800, Manfred Z.
><ManfredZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have an application with a .chm help-file.
>>But I have some questions about the behaviour of the help-window.
>>
>>I use a modal application window and I can start the help.
>>The help windows appears but it is allways in foreground of my application
>>window.
>>I can set the input focus on my window, the help window becomes inactive but
>>I cannot  move my window over the help window.
>>So I have to close the help window or minimize it or move it aside of my
>>application window when I want to go on in my application.
>>
>>The other problem is when I minimize the help window and then open a dialog
>>window in my application and call the help again , the help windows resize
>>and become visible again.
>>But when I try to set the focus on the help window, it becomes invisible
>>again.
>>
>>Is this a configuration problem of the help window settings in the html help
>>workshop?
>>Is there any documentation aviable about the interaction between my
>>application (vb-basic net) and the html help window.
>>I mean not how to navigate to help topics or so, my problem is to control
>>the behavior of the help window.
>>
>>Or must I manually control the help window using its process and window
>>handle.
0
Dennis

Help tweeking Forest trust
Hi everyone, here is the scenario that I am having problems with: There are two seperate forests with domains, coffee (internal) and cola (external). I can set cola up with a one way outgoing trust so that the coffee people can access all the cola files that I grant them rights to (which is perfect) and cola doesn't seem to be able to get out into coffee (so that seems to be working great). I set it up this way as I wanted a complete security boundry between the two networks, but still with the above clause. However, I have noticed that as an option under the 'Log ...

i need help bad
can any body help me i want to reduce my profit margin by 7% on all the items all at one time for example if sell an item for a $10 let say i make $3 profit i want to cut it down to become $ 2.79 which is 7% from my profit margin any help it's really hard to do it one item at the time thank -- maher almasri -- maher almasri Maher, We would be happy to help you. If you would like to contact me we do provide support for Both QS2000 and RMS Store Operations. So give me a call and we will help you out. Daniel Westbrook NuRol Point of Sale and Barcoding www.nurol.com 404-352-3587...

mfc combo box help
i have a problem with mfc, after choosing something in the combo box the edit box should update and show the text corresponding to the combo box choice, but what happens is when i choose something from the combo box nothing happens im new to mfc and so i need a little help please, heres the code: void CQuakeLaunchDlg::OnCloseupModtorun() { CString modname; //combo box variable m_strmod = modname; if (modname == "ORIGINAL QUAKE") m_cline = "qwcl.exe"; if (modname == "ZQUAKE") m_cline = "zq-client-gl.exe"; if (modname == "TEAM FORT...

blacklist spam filtering help
my new exchange 2003 server is behind a firewall. i want to setup the automatic "connection filter" to auto- filter out e-mail from the blacklist orgs. but i can't use this because exchange is behind the firewall, and there is not authentication means for the proxy server. so my next choice is to either MANUALLY type in exclusions for the bad domains, OR - is there a way to import a blacklist into exchange 2003 server from a file from one of those blacklist orgs? or is there some other way to help prevent spam from getting into users mailboxes? If you use a transparen...

Excel data search help
I am asking for some help I have a sheet which has full details of all the calls this month to the helpdesk I have a second sheet which has full details of all the systems on contract and service pack I need to find all the calls logged by contract customers and sp and split them out for my boss The only key that I can use (from what I can see) is the serial number of the machine as it appears in both sheets and is unique I am not sure how to do this can you help? Thanks alot Depending on how your data is laid out, you might be able to use VLOOKUP for this - the sought item needs to be ...

help.
two questions. 1) how do i add to a selected consolidated field source data from another range located in another worksheet in the same workbook. 2) how do i create a number format so that dates i select (mm-yy) will appear only as the full names of the days of the week. any input will be greatly appreciated. thank you very much. ranssff ranssff 1) Simply add the reference to the formula you already have. e.g =Sum(A1:A20)+Sum(Sheet2!A1:A20) 2) Format via Format>Cells>Custom... and enter dddd -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@z...

Help: How to view Investments across accounts.
For example, I have GM in Account A and GM in Account B, how can I see combined activity for GM all in one report. Some of the reports, IIRC, allow grouping by investment. The Portfolio page also does this. "kingViggo" <kingViggo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD7B7A14-5CE0-46B7-B6E9-DD3A24CFEF53@microsoft.com... > For example, I have GM in Account A and GM in Account B, how can I see > combined activity for GM all in one report. ...

Opening Outlook 2000 Error message URGENT!!!! HELP!!!
The outlook 2000, we've here, after being reinstalled, doesn't start, it keeps giving back this error message: error in the module outllib.dll 0167:3a61f688 Please help, Most grateful Cristina Hi cristina, Maybe this fix it 1.. Quit all programs. 2.. On the Windows Taskbar, click Start, point to Find and click Files or folders. 3.. In the Named box, type extend.dat. 4.. In the Look in list, click to select your hard drive. 5.. Click to select Include subfolders and click Find Now. 6.. In the Name list, right-click the file Extend.dat, and on the context-sensitive menu,...

Help with time.
How do I sum the amount of time on a report if timein is 7:42 AM and timeout is 12:33 PM. Is there a easy way of doing this? Thanks Time is stored as a number. You can add times like you can add numbers. You can also use one of the many date/time functions like: DateDiff("S", [EarlyTimeValue], [LaterTimeValue]) The "S" gives the time in seconds. You can use "n" for minutes as well as many other intervals. In a report or group Header or Footer, you can use a control source like: =Sum(DateDiff("n", [EarlyTimeValue], [LaterTimeValue])) This wi...

VBA Help
I need to have expand button clicked using VBA when a window with a scrolling window opened. For example, on GL Detail Inquiry window, you can see the details of the journal entry in two lines. I would like to open up this window (GL Detail Inquiry) so that user can see both lines in the scrolling window (Scrolling Window for GL inquiry window) without clicking on the Expand button. Please help. Let me know if you have any questions. ...

Address Labels
The situation: I work for a small business which has a large number of Excel wookboo files, each of which holds the details of a customer. Part of these details are - obviously - the name and address listin for that customer, with the name and each line of the address bein listed in seperate cells. The problem: The owner of the business has asked that I build up an Excel databas of every 2004-2005 customer (well over a thousand), which lists th name and address of each, in such a way that it can be printed directl onto sticky labels if necessary. Needless to say, trying to do this manua...

Help with sorting..
Hi guys, first time here, hope someone can help. I had a sheet that had names entered in column A, going in order of surname, eg: John Adams Simon Allison James Baker Tessa Cunningham etc... I messed up a sort and then sorted by column A again to get it back in alphabetical order, forgetting it would sort by the first names! So now it reads: James Baker John Adams Simon Allison Tessa Cunningham. Does anyone know how i can sort it back by the second word in Column A?? -- johncu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ johncu's Profile: http://www.exce...

HR Help menu
The Help menu is not available in the Employee file screen. Also there is not at this time any french version help menu available with HR. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/de...

Conditional Formatting Help
Howdy All, I want to format CELLS B1 thru H1 to highlight light gray if A1 equals YES, or highlight green if A1 equals STARTED. I also want to be able to copy this down thru successive rows (i.e., if A2 equals YES, then B2 thru H2 highlight light gray). Thanks, Brian Select B1:Hxx. And with the activecell on Row 1: Format|conditional formatting: formula is: =$A1="YES" select a nice format (using the patterns tab) Click add formula is: =$a$1="Started" select a nice format Brian wrote: > > Howdy All, > > I want to format CELLS B1 thru H1 to highli...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...

Help with Bar-Line Chart..not aligned??
Hi All, I am trying to plot a line chart over a column chart (4 categories). The columns on the primary y-axis, while the lines on the secondary y-axis. The problem is that the line charts starting points are always at the middle of the data series but not properly aligned with the columns. I want to shift them and align them with the column charts. Here is the data. 2011 2011 2012 2012 Volume % of sector Volume % Sector Company 1 150 7% 310 11% Company 2 170 5% 320 12% Company 3 160 4% 330 13% If you plot them in columns, you will...

How to render modified XML DOM to HTML document when using CHtmlVi
Hi, I used CHtmlView component for my app. I navigated to an XML file and then retrieved the XML DOM using IDispatchEx (ref: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwebteam/html/webteam05072001.asp Straight XML). The XML DOM was appended with a new element but the change doesn't reflect in the view. How do I update the HTML Document without re-loading the file (as changes are made in the DOM and not the file). ...

blocking images in HTML emails
In Outlook 2002, how do I view an HTML email without downloading the images? I'd rather just see an "X" where the images would be. Outlook 2002 doesn't support that feature. Your only option is unplugging the internet connection... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups...

need help with a formula
This is my very first post. I am a bit nervous because I am unsure if I am creating this post correctly. Anyways, I need help on a formula that will do the following: Lets say that there are 100 Total Lunch days. As part of the 100 Total Lunch days, there are 10 Sandwich days. The Sandwich day rate is currently 10%. The new target Sandwich day rate is 4.3%. To match the new target Sandwich day rate, I need to figure out the NEW Total Lunch days and the NEW Sandwich days. Sandwich Days/Total Lunch days would be 4.3%. What formula would I use to do this? I am using excel. Thanks. Ar...

Help Receipt Printing
I need to know how to do really fast Receipt printing. I have a Point of sale application which prints a sales Receipt. The printer is a Citizen CBM1000 I created a report to print the receipt when the transaction finished but it is really slow compared to Applications like MYOB retail manager. Can any one help with this? The one trick in most of these cases is simply to install the printer driver that comes with the actual device, and then be sure that you only use the printer fonts that the device supports. This often means do not use truetype fonts at all, but only the several prin...

Help with counting
I've never used any counting function within access before and need some help. I have an inventory table with several fields listing all the equipment we have. One of these fields is called GROUP. This field states which category each item of equipment falls into. For example Pedestrian Mowers, Fine-Turf Mowers, Tractors etc. I want to have a report or form that gives me the total number for each equipment type. Eg Pedestrian Mowers = 6, Fine-Turf Mowers = 12 and Tractors = 3 Any help would be appreciated Thanks Craig Use this query --- SELECT YourTable.[Group], Count(YourTable.[G...

POS Error
We're running POS 1.3r using PCCHARGE. In the past month we have received 3 errors while processing either a sale or a return using a credit card. After scanning the card the register displays the following error message: ERROR 2147217871 TIMEOUT EXPIRED (SOURCE MICROSOFT OLE DB PROVIDER FOR SQL SERVER). It then goes on to say (SQL STATE HYT00 NATIVE ERROR 0) NO HELP FILE AVAILABLE. At this point the transaction exits. I've since discovered that the CUSTOMER's record has not been updated to reflect TOTALVISITS or TOTALSALES. Additionally, TENDERTOTALS, TENDERENTRY, and BAT...

Form Code help
Hi can someone please help with this? Trying to understand why this is not running? I have one other control on my form with the same code and it runs just fine. When I make a change on the form it will ask for a parameter and then debugs with the following highlighted. Thank you for any help you can provide. DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE [Tracking] SET [Tracking].[Contactperson] = '" & _ Forms![frm Provider Tracking].[Contactperson] & "' WHERE ([Tracking].[ID])= " & _ Forms![frmPRTrckg].[ID] Private Sub Contactperson_AfterU...

User Form Help #2
Hi, can any one help me please ? What I'm trying do to use combo box on a form I have created whic will display data in column 'A' e.g. Zip codes When the user has found the Zip code they require in Column A, an pressed the OK button the associated data in columns B, C & D will b displayed in the Text box on the form e.g. the user uses the combo box is used to select data in A12 Then press the OK Button The data in B12, C12, D12 is displayed in the text box Any assistance would be appreciated Many thanks Rob NB Excel version 200 -- robertgu 44 Married two kid ...

ENTITY Stencil ReSize HELP PLEASE
Hello all, I am in the process of making an ER Diagram. Now I realize that the entity stencil is locked. I tried unlocking it to resize it, but did not work. Anyone have a "CUSTOM" Entity Stencil that will resize using the arrows at the corner of the stencil? Or a CUSTOM Entity Stencil that looks exactly like the Master one? I have tried to create one, and realized too soon that it was an impossible task for me. THANKS ALOT Karim ------=_NextPart_0001_536FBD91 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, Though not advisable, you can still edit a stencil, w...