Develop apps using VB2008 w/o admin privileges?

Hello all,

I am getting started with VS2008, I just installed it on my work PC with
Win XP SP2. I am; however, noticing that apparently I need local admin
privileges to get any project started. Is this correct? Are any of you
developing apps with VB 2008 who do not have admin privileges? I
have Power User (PU) privileges at this time. Is there any way to put
together an app using this product with only these (PU) privileges?

Since I had to install another system app I was given temp admin
privileges, so the VS 2008 install went well, but when I restarted
Windows the next day to finish the VS 2008 install my admin privileges
were gone and whatever finishing process ran mentioned this. And
of course, I was not able to install VS 2008 SP1. I am now wondering
if I will be able to do aything at all with the current privileges that I 
have.
Thanks for your input! Saga


0
Saga
2/1/2010 8:56:53 PM
dotnet.languages.vb 830 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
949 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

On 2/1/2010 3:56 PM, Saga wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am getting started with VS2008, I just installed it on my work PC with
> Win XP SP2. I am; however, noticing that apparently I need local admin
> privileges to get any project started. Is this correct? Are any of you
> developing apps with VB 2008 who do not have admin privileges? I
> have Power User (PU) privileges at this time. Is there any way to put
> together an app using this product with only these (PU) privileges?
>
> Since I had to install another system app I was given temp admin
> privileges, so the VS 2008 install went well, but when I restarted
> Windows the next day to finish the VS 2008 install my admin privileges
> were gone and whatever finishing process ran mentioned this. And
> of course, I was not able to install VS 2008 SP1. I am now wondering
> if I will be able to do aything at all with the current privileges that I
> have.
> Thanks for your input! Saga
>
>

I've found that to be true (admin rights required) with web development, 
but not windows application development.

-- 
Mike
0
Family
2/1/2010 11:59:29 PM
I am just not sure if your statement is accurate. I am frantically
deleting trash file to make room for projects, so I had not gotten
to test drive VS 2008 until today. I started the IDE, selected VB
dev. and proceeded to create a new project.

I selected Windows Forms Application, named the solution and
clicked Ok button and this this message:

Requested Registry access is not allowed

Ok, so then I tried selecting Class Library then Console Application
then Windows Service and finally Empty Project and all gave me
the same message. So now I am Googling instructions on how to
twiddle thumbs. Sigh. Thanks again for your input, Saga



"Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message 
news:%23w49Wq5oKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> On 2/1/2010 3:56 PM, Saga wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am getting started with VS2008, I just installed it on my work PC with
>> Win XP SP2. I am; however, noticing that apparently I need local admin
>> privileges to get any project started. Is this correct? Are any of you
>> developing apps with VB 2008 who do not have admin privileges? I
>> have Power User (PU) privileges at this time. Is there any way to put
>> together an app using this product with only these (PU) privileges?
>>
>> Since I had to install another system app I was given temp admin
>> privileges, so the VS 2008 install went well, but when I restarted
>> Windows the next day to finish the VS 2008 install my admin privileges
>> were gone and whatever finishing process ran mentioned this. And
>> of course, I was not able to install VS 2008 SP1. I am now wondering
>> if I will be able to do aything at all with the current privileges that I
>> have.
>> Thanks for your input! Saga
>>
>>
>
> I've found that to be true (admin rights required) with web development, 
> but not windows application development.
>
> -- 
> Mike 


0
Saga
2/2/2010 5:31:59 PM
Works here. It could be perhaps :
1) that the restart needed to be done with an admin account ?
2) that the install is best done under an admin account rather than under an 
account who has temporarily an admin access ?

A tool such as http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx 
will alllow to find out what is accessed in the registry. IMO something went 
wrong during setup (or an AV software blocks this ?)

--
Patrice



"Saga" <antiSpam@nowhere.com> a �crit dans le message de groupe de 
discussion : OfL6h2CpKHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I am just not sure if your statement is accurate. I am frantically
> deleting trash file to make room for projects, so I had not gotten
> to test drive VS 2008 until today. I started the IDE, selected VB
> dev. and proceeded to create a new project.
>
> I selected Windows Forms Application, named the solution and
> clicked Ok button and this this message:
>
> Requested Registry access is not allowed
>
> Ok, so then I tried selecting Class Library then Console Application
> then Windows Service and finally Empty Project and all gave me
> the same message. So now I am Googling instructions on how to
> twiddle thumbs. Sigh. Thanks again for your input, Saga
>
>
>
> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23w49Wq5oKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> On 2/1/2010 3:56 PM, Saga wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am getting started with VS2008, I just installed it on my work PC with
>>> Win XP SP2. I am; however, noticing that apparently I need local admin
>>> privileges to get any project started. Is this correct? Are any of you
>>> developing apps with VB 2008 who do not have admin privileges? I
>>> have Power User (PU) privileges at this time. Is there any way to put
>>> together an app using this product with only these (PU) privileges?
>>>
>>> Since I had to install another system app I was given temp admin
>>> privileges, so the VS 2008 install went well, but when I restarted
>>> Windows the next day to finish the VS 2008 install my admin privileges
>>> were gone and whatever finishing process ran mentioned this. And
>>> of course, I was not able to install VS 2008 SP1. I am now wondering
>>> if I will be able to do aything at all with the current privileges that 
>>> I
>>> have.
>>> Thanks for your input! Saga
>>>
>>>
>>
>> I've found that to be true (admin rights required) with web development, 
>> but not windows application development.
>>
>> -- 
>> Mike
>
>
> 

0
Patrice
2/3/2010 12:15:12 PM
"Patrice" <http://scribe-en.blogspot.com/> wrote in message 
news:ezAgKqMpKHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Works here. It could be perhaps :
> 1) that the restart needed to be done with an admin account ?
> 2) that the install is best done under an admin account rather than under 
> an account who has temporarily an admin access ?
>
> A tool such as 
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx will alllow 
> to find out what is accessed in the registry. IMO something went wrong 
> during setup (or an AV software blocks this ?)

Thank you for your input. I will consider each point carefully.

I had admin rights when I installed VS 2008 Pro. Since it
was late I left the PC running the porcess. The next morning
I had the "Finished sucessfully" screen. I exited that, the process
indicated that a reboot was necessary so I did that, but to my
dismay when Windows restarted the process told me I needed
admin rights. Although I finished the install process w/o admin
rights, the process did not complain or indicate any error.

If necessary I will uninstall all and reinstall having admin rights
when I retstart Windows. Again, thanks! Saga


0
Saga
2/3/2010 6:52:00 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Access Developer
Hi All, We are about to enroll on a mini project and as part of the rollout new machines are to be installed. Some user's have an application called Access Developer. I would like to know if we install Access 2003 Pro would that be sufficient for them e to continue with their Access Development? Could anyone answer or point me in the right direction. Regards. -- Flinty I assume that ACCESS Developer is the developer version of ACCESS 2002, but you'll need to confirm that. If it is, this version of ACCESS allows the owner to create runtime versions of ACCESS applications, wh...

When to use OnInitDialog()
Context: Modal dialog OnInitDialog() is a member function of the dialog and as such has access to some data (and function too, I guess) members that aren't public so there's definitely a need for the native initialization function, but several examples of OnInitDialog() I've seen do data initialization that could also be done when a modal dialog is constructed. In these cases, is there any advantage to doing the initialization in one place rather than another? TIA Norm "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> wrote in message news:%5bTa.67420$0v4.4496265...

application development
I am designing a downloadable tutorial application I am using visual studio 6.0 and i have created a client application to navigate through data pages, at the moment just the client framework exists, what is the best and quickest way to create graphic pages with text that can be viewed through an active doc container app i.e Explorer.There will be a lot of pages Does anyone agree that java is the best method for this.? Or are there any alternatives The application will be placed on the server and downloaded, files will be downloaded a batch at a time and viewed as local pages. I also need to ...

can I use dpm2010rc to back up a passive DAG database?
If so, anything I should be concerned about? Will the log files get truncated properly after backing up from a passive copy? Can I have a DPM server backing up a passive copy, and another DPM server in another site backing up the active copy? Thanks, Wes On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:19:01 -0700, wes <wes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >If so, anything I should be concerned about? Will the log files get >truncated properly after backing up from a passive copy? Can I have a DPM >server backing up a passive copy, and another DPM server in another site >back...

Running a PIF file using CreateProcess in an allocated console window
Hello, I am trying to find a way to execute a pif file within the context of my own application's console using AllocConsole. My basic need is to have the console in my context so I can use the console API's AND I must use the pif parameters for EMS, XMS, and a few other parameters. Is there a way to do this ? Is there a way around ? For example, try running "start /b XX.pif" I am getting an error message The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. and get the Close Ignore buttons. This is not related to any problems in the DOS application. If I use CREATE_...

Lost admin password of Windows 2003 Server DC
Hi, A client called me to restore access to their Windows 2003 Server acting as a DC whose Administrators' passwords have been lost. Nobody can now log into the server. I understand that resetting the local Administrator password on non-Active Directory Win 2003 machines is pretty easy. There are lots of utilities that you can download and run from a bootable CD and clear out the passwords. I also understand that the mechanism that Windows 2003 Server employs for storing usernames and passwords is different for Domain Controller machines and WORK_GROUP ones, such that runn...

Using Filters
I am new to using filters & am trying to create a worksheet that will help my salesmen create quotes for our customers. I'd like them to be able to pick different equipment options with related prices and then have all options totalled at the bottom of the spreadsheet. Pkg # Description Amount 111 Option 1 209,667 112 Option 2 224,693 123 Option 3 ...

Add-on Developers...
Does anybody know of any other add-on developers for Microsoft RMS, OTHER than RetailRealm, New West Technologies, ADI, EVT, RITE and NBE Solutions? I am trying to "crack" into some new retail markets. I have had some GOOD success. For example, for those who wish to, eGolf has an AWESOME Golf Suite that works like a charm. Talk about a beautiful addition for RMS. Talk to you all soon We focus on the needs of independent specialty retailers including bike, outdoor, sport specialty, and hardgoods verticals. Visit: http://www.digitalretailer.com/rmsaddins.htm "Tony Cormack...

Using Form view in sharepoint
Hi, I am attempting to use a form view in SharePoint designer and connect this to an Access Database, which works fine. However, when I view this in Sharepoint I am able to add a record but I am not able to edit or delete records as I get an error message (saying "An unexpected error has occurred) and the record does not change in the database. Does anyone know why this might be happening and more importantly how to resolve it? Many thanks in advance, Emma ...

multiply criteria in a range using sumifs
I hope someone can help, Please, I'm using the following formula to get payroll data from 1 table into another on a different sheet, the formula works great, however I need to add to it and am having problems with calulating over time. Table PP4_Hrs: [Employee] [RT] [Income Type] [Hours] [Job] [Banked Pay Hrs] payl 1 Over Time 1 429 hopm 0 Std. Income 1 429 janw 0 Std. Income 1 430 lowm 19 Banked Pay... 430 1 ...

Using check marks (ticks) when browsing a site
I have repeatedly experienced an issue in that when asked to accept terms and conditions by checking a box I have done as asked and pressed the button to move forward to the next page but I get a message telling me I have not accepted the terms and conditions. I use the go back button to find that sure enough the check mark has disappeared so I re-enter it and my frustrations mount as I get the same result. I am using IE8 and reset all setting s to default which made no difference and ran my virus checker (just in case) which came back negative. I am using a Microsoft Wireless La...

.NET Framework 1.1 killing CRM :o(
We're developing an ASP.NET web app to link with the CRM which uses the .NET framework V1.1 - installing this on the CRM server prevents any access to the CRM with the following stack trace - Server Error in '/' Application. ----------------------------------------------------------- --------------------- Access is denied. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.ApplicationException: Access...

UI Developer // Bay Area
Location: Bay Area Duration: 6 months Pay rate: 40-45/hr Front-end Developer Required Skills: 1. capable of estimating development tasks and meeting deadlines 2. great attention to visual detail and user interaction design 3. cross browser development, testing, and debugging for Chrome, Safari, Firefox, IE 7, IE8 4. front web page creation from detailed mockups/comps 5. AJAX 6. XHTML 7. CSS 8. Javascript 9. XML and JSON10. Java 6, JSP, JSTL/EL and Java Servlets 11. Team oriented, great communication skills Desired Front-end Developer Skills: 1. Familiar with mobile web UIs 2. Familiar with...

Difficult problem (for me !) Lookup or something that i need to use ???
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00D7_01CA7B43.621ACFB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi there, - The range (see near the end of this mail) where all the "X" are in is = called "Risks" (a,b,c,... & Step 1,... Step X are not included in ths = range). - The line with the text a,b,c,d,e,f,...above the range "Risks" have all = text in them (example d=3D "Electricity") - The cells in the left "Step 1",... refer to a sheet ...

Using Separate computers
I just bought Outlook Live and have I few questions that I can't find the answer too in Outllok Help. When I bought Outlook Live it came with Outlook 2003. I have 3 email accounts. rvis@hotmail.com, rvis@unitz.ca and rvis@pparchitect.com. Hotmail and Unitz are my home accounts and PParchitects is my work account. I use 2 separate computers, one at home and one at work. Now basically what I want is to make one big linked account. For instance, I want to have one calendar and if I add stuff at work it'll also be at home if i were to check at home. Same thing for tasks. Right now ...

How to use WHERE and HAVING together?
Hi, Im having difficulty in using the HAVING statement with more than 1 criteria and would like to know how I might find the following? I have a table (fullres2) with horse racing details over numerous columns but need to find out.. How many of the horses that have the greatest % price interest go onto win. I can find out which horse has the greatest % move with the following..... SELECT eventref, MAX(overallmove) AS ["Biggest Shortner"] FROM fullres2 GROUP BY eventref HAVING MAX(overallmove) > 0; this uses eventref (race info which is the same over the number o...

Read XML using XSD
Somebody gave me an XSD file to read a XML file. Can somebody give me an idea how to use this XSD file in C# to start reading XML files? Thanks, Ben Ben van Erp wrote: > Somebody gave me an XSD file to read a XML file. Can somebody give me an idea > how to use this XSD file in C# to start reading XML files? You can validate an XML document against an XSD schema. With .NET 2.0 use an XmlReader with the proper XmlReaderSettings. With .NET 1.x use an XmlValidatingReader. -- Martin Honnen --- MVP XML http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ There are various ways. One way is to use a datase...

User / Resource Admin Tool
Hi, Is there a simple Tool for User and Resource-administration for Exchange? - create / delete User - create / delete Resource (AutoResponse / Accept) - manage Email-Addresses I need this Tool for the SuperUser in a Small Company that he can do basic administration tasks. tnx, marcel Hi Marcel, If you are running a Windows 200X Active directory and Exchange 200X you can give most of these permissions via the Delegation of Control Wizard in Active Directory Users & Computers. Then you can customize an MMC for him so you chose the views and tools he needs to see. Here is the Mi...

how do i create a repeating student certificate using excel
i have a database of my class and i want to make a repeating student certificate using excel is their any way to do this in a simple way ?? > i have a database of my class and i want to make a repeating student > certificate using excel I'd use MS-Word's mail merge feature. For details, look in Word's built-in Help for "mail merge." Design your form in a separate sheet. In the Cell where the Name goes Use Data Validation and choose list and reference the range for the names. You can select the first name and Print off the certificate then sel...

how do i use colours with formulas in excel?
I am trying to create a spreadsheet of results using formulas and I want to have cells highlighted depending on the outcome in different colours ie pass (green) fail (red) etc format>conditional formatting> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "RINNY" <RINNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3A9B2D2-13C7-4AD6-8C43-0360E20A89F0@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a spreadsheet of results using formulas and I want to > have cells highlighted depending on the outcome in different colours ie pass > (green) fail (red) etc It w...

Use that pack from the M$ Corp.
--slottfskl Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="llgfkzswzsm"; type="multipart/alternative" --llgfkzswzsm Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="xrzqvnunvghhwukm" --xrzqvnunvghhwukm Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer from these vulnerabilities...

Using tables created in 2003 IN 2007
My office has recently upgraded to 2007. I enjoy new features such as the ability to highlight a few words within the table without the ENTIRE table's font changing; unfortunately, this only works in tables I have created since the upgrade. My old tables that were brought over from 2003 do not have this capability. Is there an add-on out there? I do not have to resort to re-typing and creating all new tables. PS. Copy and pasting into a new table does not work. Convertting the file using the office button does not work. Help? please? I think you talking about what is called...

Using multiple conditions for a formula
I'm using a formula to calculate average call length for some staff an want to "bullet proof" it a little. I originally had 4 items t calculate and used counta to verify if all 4 fields were filled i before completing the calculation. What I need to do now is accoun for 3 seperate types of calls. I've modified the formula to calculat the info properly, but I'm having troubles with the "if" statement. I order to run the calculations for the 3 different queues, 4 variable must be filled in. The first queue's data is entered into C4, D4, E4 F4 the second...

Build error when using crmibf/crmaccessservice.asmx web service
Installing CRM information Bridge installs a web service at the path "http://<crmserver>/crmibf/crmaccessservice.asmx" I can set a web reference to this in a .net project but when I try to build the project (without adding a single line of my own code) I get errors in the web service Reference.vb" file. Some of the errors are "BaseReference" not found, "CaseReference not found", etc. Any clues as to why I am getting these errors? Is there some documentation available on using the CRMIBF web service? -- Thanks ...

"Too many formats used"!!!
I have a large spreadsheet with multiple input forms which is almost complete. I am unable to progress further as Excel will not allow me to format any more cells with a "Too many formats used" message being displayed I understand that I need to reduce the amount of formatting that has been used, but my endeavours to do so simply pops up the same message. Is there a simple way to reduce the number of formats used in a spreadsheet either globally or per worksheet? Or any other solutions to this problem Any help would be greatfully appreciated. Hi for dealing with too many cell for...