Zip Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll with my application?

Hello.

I created an application that automates Excel. It looked like that if
the dll "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll" was not with my exe, the
application crashes on other PC's. Since my application doesn't
provide a set-up program (X-copy application), I would like to zip
that file with my application. Is that permitted? I tried to research
on my own but I couldn't find the answer. I even consult the lawyer in
our company but he was not able to give me a clear answer.

By the way, that dll came with Visual Studio 2010 (located at C:
\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools
for Office\PIA\Office14).
0
Sin

Sin Jeong-hun wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I created an application that automates Excel. It looked like that if
> the dll "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll" was not with my exe, the
> application crashes on other PC's. Since my application doesn't
> provide a set-up program (X-copy application), I would like to zip
> that file with my application. Is that permitted? I tried to research
> on my own but I couldn't find the answer. I even consult the lawyer in
> our company but he was not able to give me a clear answer.
>
> By the way, that dll came with Visual Studio 2010 (located at C:
> \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools
> for Office\PIA\Office14).

There is no one here who can provide legal advice to you.  However, I
would say that in general, if a DLL does not include a license that
clearly states you _may_ redistribute it, then you probably may not.  I
doubt that the Office interop DLL is redistributable.

But, I also believe it should come with Office (or at least any version
of Office it supports).  So if you don't have the interop DLL installed,
it's either because you also don't have a support version of Office
installed, or for some reason you failed to install the interop DLL with
Office.

I'm not even sure the latter is possible; I don't recall an option in
the Office install that allows you to exclude the interop DLL.  But
either way, it seems to me that the correct solution is simply to ensure
that the correct version of Office has been installed and that the
interop DLL has been installed along with it.

Pete
0
Peter
7/2/2010 3:37:07 PM
On 02-07-2010 06:57, Sin Jeong-hun wrote:
> I created an application that automates Excel. It looked like that if
> the dll "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll" was not with my exe, the
> application crashes on other PC's. Since my application doesn't
> provide a set-up program (X-copy application), I would like to zip
> that file with my application. Is that permitted? I tried to research
> on my own but I couldn't find the answer. I even consult the lawyer in
> our company but he was not able to give me a clear answer.
>
> By the way, that dll came with Visual Studio 2010 (located at C:
> \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools
> for Office\PIA\Office14).

They are also downloadable separately.

Office 2007 version:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=59daebaa-bed4-4282-a28c-b864d8bfa513&displaylang=en

And since the title is "Redistributable Primary Interop Assemblies"
then I will assume that it is intended for redistribution. There
are probably a file somewhere in the kit that explains the exact
rules.

Unfortunately the Office 2010 version does not seem to
be available yet.

But I would expect it to become available soon.

Arne
0
ISO

MS Office 2003 wants a product key after installed for 3 years???
I have MS Office for Students and Teachers 2003. The first computer it was installed on was stolen however I re-installed it to my newer one and it has been fine for the past 3 years when I installed it to the newer PC. In Jan 2010. Word and Powerpoint won't open, the windows installer comes up and then it asks for my Product Key, which I have but it won't recognize. However Excel still opens and runs fine. Why would only some components of this package function?? And why is it asking for my product key now? I thought this software was a one-shot deal, meaning you b...

corrupted shared excel workbook
I am having a terrible time with a corrupted shared excel workbook. In my case, this shared workbook has been restored from a good backup but as soon as the users try to access the shared workbook, the file becomes corrupted. The users are accessing the file from different computers and different locations (multiple offices). I believe that there are some temp files that contain old sessions of excel as with one user when she opens the shared file, her version of excel will take a long time and she gets the message that she has locked the spreadsheet even if she has not opened...

How to modify WM_CHAR posted by function "PostMessage" before it is received by the application ?
I cannot modify the following WM_CHAR messages, such as On an application widow, there are "Edit" and "Button". When Button is pressed, the following code will be run HWND hwnd=NULL GetDlgItem(IDC_EDIT1,&hwnd) ::PostMessage(hwnd,WM_CHAR,'a',0) The result should be that write "a" on "Edit" In order to change "a" to "b" be4 "Edit" gets the message, I have writen MsgHook.dll, which has a Hook. As hGetMessageHook=SetWindowsHookEx(WH_GETMESSAGE,MsgProc,GetModuleHandle "MsgHook.DLL" ) ...

Office and the Mac
How would a network of Macintosh clients enjoy Office System servers like LCS, SPS...etc. Will there be a loss in functionality? Do they have the necessary clients to access these servers? In article <9a95a9d9.0406232344.84f7d09@posting.google.com>, janasiudu@yahoo.com (June) wrote: > How would a network of Macintosh clients enjoy Office System servers > like LCS, SPS...etc. Will there be a loss in functionality? Do they > have the necessary clients to access these servers? Hi June! From what I've read about Live Communication Server, you would have to have a Mac-comp...

Microsoft Money on MAC
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3255965710_335290 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit I�m currently using Microsoft Money on a MAC PowerBook G4 with Virtual Windows. It is very, very slow and cumbersome. Are there any alternatives to this (beyond switching back to a PC!)? --B_3255965710_335290 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> &l...

Stoping Excel from Calculating?
Can you stop excel from executing any formulas temporarily? Meaning while I update info in the workbook nothing will calculate till I say go? Thanks Tools/ Options/ Calculation/ Manual. -- David Biddulph "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:079819FF-7D05-4D70-8497-65BEFD40ECB6@microsoft.com... > Can you stop excel from executing any formulas temporarily? Meaning while > I > update info in the workbook nothing will calculate till I say go? Thanks Tool > Options > Calculation > select Manual > OK out "J...

How do I stop excel removing zeros?
Hi, I'm opening a .csv file directly from a web page that has customer data in it for producing despatch labels for orders. Some American postcodes begin with a zero, and excel removes any leading zeros resulting in an incorrect postacode. If anyone knows how to EITHER get Internet Explorer to open the .csv in notepad, or stop excel removing the leading zero it would be appreciated. Unfortunately, Excel is treating the zip code as a number and will automatically drop any leading zeros. If you're strictly using this information in Excel, then format the column using the Special ...

Can Excel convert from hex to decimal and vice versa?
Lotus has a nice easy function that looks sort of like hex>dec or something just as simple. Is there anyway I can get Excel to convert a column of numbers into hexadecimal in an adjacent column or convert back from decimal to hex? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Install the Analysis Toolpak addin and then take a look at the DEC2HEX and HEX2DEC functions. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It'...

Office 2k3 Beta tester woes. Cant import .pst back into xp
Hello, I am sure that there has to be a solution to this problem. I know that MS would not leave it's beta testers without a way to revert back to their old office. I have attempted to import my Outlook 2003 Beta .pst file into my Outlook XP and I get an error stating that it is not compatible. Please tell me that there is a way for me to retrieve all of my old emails. I saved the pst file, and I removed Office 2003 as per the terms of the beta license and saved a copy of my .pst file. I the re- installed Office XP. Thank you for your assistance in this matter. Mike If you c...

ZIP Attachment Issue
Hi there! I use Exch 2003 as part of SBS 2003. Every time my org receive an email with a zip attachment, exchange stop delivering him. On message tracking center i get: SMTP: Advanced Queue Failed to Deliver Message Sount like an AV/Filetrring, but i disable all the antivirus and also i disable sbs feature for removing attachment, anti still don't get mails with zip attachment. It is nothing related with the compozition of the zip file, because i do not receive either mails with zip files and also i do not receive emails that have a file with zip extension (i rename a doc to zip)...

Microsoft Application Error Reporting 11
trying to install version 10. I get error: "Microsoft Application Error Reporting 11"; this error comes up before any interface that would install requisite components comes up. I searched the cd and do not see any installer for this component. I searched the ms site and see no references to this component. any help is appriciated ...

Excel files #2

How do you insert a scale break on the y-axis in Excel?
Is it possible? Hi, Have a look at these examples http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/broken_y_axis/tutorial/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm Cheers Andy lakechatei wrote: > Is it possible? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Disabling Microsoft Money Background Banking Service (mnybbsvc.exe) in 2007
I found the instructions for 2008, which is a simple check box in the settings, but is there any way to disable it in earlier versions? In microsoft.public.money, Milhouse Van Houten wrote: >I found the instructions for 2008, which is a simple check box in the >settings, but is there any way to disable it in earlier versions? You could remove your LiveID. ...

Creating light text in Excel using XP
I am attempting to print a spreadsheet from Excel using Office XP professional. I have made the text light grey, but it WILL NOT print grey ONLY black. If I print from another computer using Windows 98, it prints correctly. HELP!!! Check your printer options - May be set to print black and white? -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) -----------------------------...

Microsoft Office Student 2007 activation issues
I have recently installed Windows 7 and have had to reinstall my microsoft office program. The installation went through correctly, no problems there. My problem is with activating it. I go through the activation and choose to convert to the full product right away as I have a product key for a full version. I put the product key in and accept it. I choose my options and then it goes to configuration. The configuration goes through correctly and then I get prompted to restart all microsoft office programs for the changes to go through. I do that and then it prompts me to activate...

Can 1 create a excel dahboard charts that pulls from other Excels
Hi there - Is there a way to create a sort of dashboard that would dynamically link to other sheets. I tried & for some reason the charts did not update automatically. & how (if possible) would include sheets that may be under source control such as Rational ClearCase? Thanks in advance Avner, Perhaps the example at the URL below can help: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/dashboard_with_multiple_changing_charts/ There is a downloadable file available too. ---------------------------- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Avner" wrote: > Hi the...

My Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable!!!!
Anyone and everyone, please help. Ever since I got a new hard drive (and my old became a storage drive), I've been getting a message saying "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." This happens each and every time I attempt to open Outlook. A poster here tried to help me. The last tip that I got was to create a new, mail profile under the control panel. Unfortunately, that was to no avail. I would really appreciate any and all suggestions. Moreover, I'd be really grateful if I got a defintive resolution. Rah Do you connection to an exchange server? ...

excell
ok, so i need to save this file to a comma delimited file. But I had t create columns to change some info.. How do I get it back to comm delimited? I tried save as .CSV but when I open it still has columns i it -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com When you open a csv file - ANY csv file - in XL, it will by default convert to "(have) columns in it". That's a function of how XL opens csv files, not whether the file, as saved, "has columns in it". The file saved as csv *IS* csv - no columns. Try opening it in another application (e.g., Notepad). To o...

Money 97 on Microsoft XP #2
Bob, thanks for answer. I=B4m located in Madrid, Spain. How could I buy Money 2006? Microsoft Europe adviced that is only available on USA. And in any case, after bought and downloaded M2006: It will be possible to import my files created with Money 97? regards , Joe. I can only think of Amazon.com or eBay. However it is virtually impossible to get a file created by a non-US version into a US one. There are some very tedious steps to export and import but you lose so much information it really isn't worth it. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/28.aspx and importantly the Notes at...

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002

Cannot download .zip files
I have discoverd that Microsoft Outlook 2000 & 2003, will not allow me to download .zip files. The entire email is also not returned to sender and seems to be held in queue somewhere. I can find no helpful information through WinZip. Is there anyone out there who has experienced the same, or similar, problem? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance. R.L. McGahan Ten Forward Communications 360-457-9023 Outlook, all versions, download .zip files just fine. I suspect that you have a third party program such as McAfee installed that is iintercepting the mail and not allowing ...

error msg scanpst.exe....drive:\program files\microsoft office\m
I am a new user to Outlook in Office Ultimate. E-mail will not delete...recieving scanpst.exe and drive:\program files\microsoft office\office12 which means nothing to me...help Other than the bit about e-mail will not delete the rest of your msg means nothing to me either "Realtor" <Realtor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90C01604-B32F-4E44-9419-3BA950D2E658@microsoft.com... >I am a new user to Outlook in Office Ultimate. E-mail will not > delete...recieving scanpst.exe and drive:\program files\microsoft > office\office12 which means nothing...

How to extract the number of pages in a cell (Excel 2003)
Hi, I would like to extract the total number of pages of an Excel file in a cell so that it is updated automatically. I need to mention the total number of the printed pages in my document (This document contains XX pages and may not be reproduced other than in full). Can you help me? hi, Vahid ! > I would like to extract the total number of pages of an Excel file in a cell so that it is updated automatically. > I need to mention the total number of the printed pages in my document > (This document contains XX pages and may not be reproduced other than in full). *I...

Spell Check / Language Issue with Office (Outlook) 2003
When performing a spell check on a word/spelling that's underline in red while typing, the 'Add to Dictionary' is greyed out and not allowing any words to be added. Can this be fixed? Depends on the version of Word you are using. Have you tried detect and = repair? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Ben asked: | When performing a spell check on a word/spelling that's underline in | red wh...