Zip Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll with my application?

Hello.

I created an application that automates Excel. It looked like that if
the dll "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll" was not with my exe, the
application crashes on other PC's. Since my application doesn't
provide a set-up program (X-copy application), I would like to zip
that file with my application. Is that permitted? I tried to research
on my own but I couldn't find the answer. I even consult the lawyer in
our company but he was not able to give me a clear answer.

By the way, that dll came with Visual Studio 2010 (located at C:
\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools
for Office\PIA\Office14).
0
Sin

Sin Jeong-hun wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I created an application that automates Excel. It looked like that if
> the dll "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll" was not with my exe, the
> application crashes on other PC's. Since my application doesn't
> provide a set-up program (X-copy application), I would like to zip
> that file with my application. Is that permitted? I tried to research
> on my own but I couldn't find the answer. I even consult the lawyer in
> our company but he was not able to give me a clear answer.
>
> By the way, that dll came with Visual Studio 2010 (located at C:
> \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools
> for Office\PIA\Office14).

There is no one here who can provide legal advice to you.  However, I
would say that in general, if a DLL does not include a license that
clearly states you _may_ redistribute it, then you probably may not.  I
doubt that the Office interop DLL is redistributable.

But, I also believe it should come with Office (or at least any version
of Office it supports).  So if you don't have the interop DLL installed,
it's either because you also don't have a support version of Office
installed, or for some reason you failed to install the interop DLL with
Office.

I'm not even sure the latter is possible; I don't recall an option in
the Office install that allows you to exclude the interop DLL.  But
either way, it seems to me that the correct solution is simply to ensure
that the correct version of Office has been installed and that the
interop DLL has been installed along with it.

Pete
0
Peter
7/2/2010 3:37:07 PM
On 02-07-2010 06:57, Sin Jeong-hun wrote:
> I created an application that automates Excel. It looked like that if
> the dll "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll" was not with my exe, the
> application crashes on other PC's. Since my application doesn't
> provide a set-up program (X-copy application), I would like to zip
> that file with my application. Is that permitted? I tried to research
> on my own but I couldn't find the answer. I even consult the lawyer in
> our company but he was not able to give me a clear answer.
>
> By the way, that dll came with Visual Studio 2010 (located at C:
> \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools
> for Office\PIA\Office14).

They are also downloadable separately.

Office 2007 version:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=59daebaa-bed4-4282-a28c-b864d8bfa513&displaylang=en

And since the title is "Redistributable Primary Interop Assemblies"
then I will assume that it is intended for redistribution. There
are probably a file somewhere in the kit that explains the exact
rules.

Unfortunately the Office 2010 version does not seem to
be available yet.

But I would expect it to become available soon.

Arne
0
ISO

Zip code lookup
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I want to enter a zip code in sheet 1 column D and return a county name from sheet 2 to sheet 1 column E. Help! On 3/22/10 6:24 PM, pastortom@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I want to enter a zip code in sheet 1 column D and return a county > name from sheet 2 to sheet 1 column E. Help! Assuming that you have table of county names and zip codes in sheet 2, then you simply need a hlookup formula in each cell of column E in...

how to move screen right or left in excel
in lotus 123, we use ctrl+arrow left or arrow right to move the screen left or right. how to do it in excel for the same. thanks. now in excel if i use ctrl+arrow right, it will bring me only to the end of the worksheet column which is not I want... You can grab the scroll bar at the bottom right and move to whatever column you like. "sunfai" <sunfai02(sunfai)@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uNbw1xOlDHA.684@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > in lotus 123, we use ctrl+arrow left or arrow right to move the screen left > or right. > how to do it in excel for the same. thanks...

How do I change the size of Value Axis Title box for an Excel Cha.
The title box cannot be sized. I must reduce the font to very small to prevent truncating the title. I would have thought I could drag the box to the size I wanted but I do not get the chance to do so. Instead of a Title, you can use a Text Box: Select the Chart Type the text you want in the Title Press the Enter key A text box will appear in the centre of the chart Drag it to the location you want it, and format/resize as desired. If you prefer, you can link the text box to a worksheet cell, and display its text: Select the chart Type an equal sign Click on the cell you want to link Pr...

Opening multiples instance of Excel
Hi, since a few days i have the following problem. I open an excel document, then want to open a 2nd one, it open it but in the same excel. Before the same action resulted in have 2 excel running, now all document are opened in the same excel windows.... How can this be changed to the default settings? In doc in a separate excel application... hope someones knows... thanks in advance, voodoo Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the View menu. Look at the setting for "Windows In Taskbar". -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC ww...

the disadvantages of microsoft publisher
i' am doing my coursework and i can't find anything about the advantages and disadvantages of microsoft publisher and power point i would appreciate it if someone could help me burn41 <burn41@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > i' am doing my coursework and i can't find anything about the > advantages and disadvantages of microsoft publisher and power point i > would appreciate it if someone could help me With regards to what circumstances? I mean, if you want to do an animated presentation, Microsoft Publisher has plenty of disadv...

Office 2003 and XP
I have both Office 2003 Standard and Office XP Standard on my laptop. Can I safely uninstall Office 2003 to free up more moemory ? "Puzzled" <Puzzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97F11031-C7C7-4531-97F4-38345B7EF4F1@microsoft.com... >I have both Office 2003 Standard and Office XP Standard on my laptop. Can I > safely uninstall Office 2003 to free up more moemory ? I'd rather uninstall Office XP, but you should be able to uninstall either. Note that since only one version of Outlook can be installed at any one time, you have eithe...

excel add-ins
why do my add-ins have to be reloaded each time i open excel Open Excel, then Tools, Add-Ins; from the listing find the add-in in question and fill the check-box, then OK out.. That should do it. "balik" <jeremiah.balik.com@verizonwireless.com> wrote in message news:FD3FA1BB-2172-45E0-B34D-F27F2C935E0E@microsoft.com... > why do my add-ins have to be reloaded each time i open excel If this computer belongs to your employer and you do not have administrative rights, then you should ask your IS department whether you have rights to modify the HKEY_CURRENT_USER portion ...

install Publisher 2002 with Office 2003
I have MS Office 2002 SB OEM version with Word, Excel, Outlook and Publisher. Now, on a new hard disk, I want to install Office 2003 SSL with Powerpoint but without Publisher. What's the best way to keep the old Publisher which I won't miss. Using the same home ? Installing 2003 over 2002 ? How works registration of the both versions ? Will 2003 registration cover 2003 ? -- regards Thomas Hi tdo (tdo@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have MS Office 2002 SB OEM version with Word, Excel, Outlook and || Publisher. Now, on a new hard disk, I want to in...

Disable Tagging in Office Communicator
I am an individual user on a network that uses Office Communicator. I would like to be able to use Communicator, but disable the ability for other users to tag me to alert them to my status changes. Is there a way to do this? I have searched a while and not found any way for users to do this. (If this is not the right forum to post, can you point me specifically to a better one?) You be better off posting this to the Communicator newsgroup On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.communicator -- Pe...

MS Office X and Virtual PC running on Panther (10.3)
Hi folks I am anxious to upgrade to OS X 10.3 when it ships later this month. Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, using Office X and/or Virtual PC under the pre-release versions of 10.3? Thanks for the help Larry Buss labuss@magothy.com Hi Larry, Everyone who has run any software on pre-released versions of Panther had to sign agreements with Apple and other vendors. The agreements prohibit discussion about the products or release of the kind of information you are asking about. Those who know for sure can not tell you until the 24th of the month. -Jim Gordon Mac MVP All respon...

Add-in "C:\winnt\system\mociext.dll could not be installed or loaded
Starting Outlook 2003 on a Win2K Pro machine error received.. "TheAdd-in C:\winnt\system\mociext.dll could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be reloved by using the Detect and Repair on the Help Menu" This does not fix nor does a reinstall of Office 2003 Pro. How can this be remedied. ...

Microsoft Word 12-15-09
Why wont my keyboard type in Word/ Does the message "This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked" appear somewhere? If so, than you either haven't activated your copy of Office or your trial version is over and you have to pay for it. Yves "dynamictravel" <dynamictravel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB0D7C3A-1375-4319-B6F6-37A3BEC66556@microsoft.com... > Why wont my keyboard type in Word/ ...

keyboard doesn't respond when opening an excel book
Hi all, When I double click on an excel file to open it, I cannot use the keyboard. Nothing works. But if I use the mouse to double click on a cell, I can then type in it. If I close the workbook and then File->Open the same workbook or any workbook the keyboard responds correctly. Any ideas? Chad ...

Junk Mail and Detect and Repair wont work in Office 2003
I am trying to update the Outlook Junk Mail filters, KB914454 it wont let me in Office 2003 it continually shows the shield icon saying I have an update to complete when I do it fails, tried to repair, that fails too, should I try install even tho my software or CD is Office 2003 and I have SP2 on the computer already or is there a registry fix, do I really need Junk Mail, how can I stop this update from happening, I use AVG and it works fine ...

Dates in Excel #5
In a column I need month and year. When I put in the month, it is accepted, but the year defaults to 04 regardless of what year is typed in What do I need to change. Thanks Hi Luv2resa! How are you typing in your dates? It's also relevant to ask what your Regional Settings are. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "Luv2resa@aol.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a42c01c467bd$ad259de0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > In a column I need month and year. When I put in the > month, it is accept...

Excel VBA
Hi I wrote a vba function that should return data to the excel spreadshee after querying the Oracle database. I have installed and created Microsoft ODBC connection for Oracle on my workstation. If I manually open excel workbook and navigate to Data, Get Externa Data, New Database Query, connect to the database, click on the SQ pushbutton and paste the query, click OK and hit the Return Dat pushbutton, the query return data to the spreadsheet without an issues. I recorded all the above steps in a Macro and wrote a similar vb function for extracting data for another table. I then reopened...

Check patch from the Microsoft
--mhqkfvawbpuihus Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pfhtuhkmduf"; type="multipart/alternative" --pfhtuhkmduf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="snneiwdpzixer" --snneiwdpzixer Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer from these vulnerabilities, t...

EXCEL AND STATISTICS
Are there any good websites that deal with doing descriptive statistics with Excel? Like graphing normal distributions? If you want a normal probability plot, Mike Middleton has a downloadable paper on this at http://www.usfca.edu/~middleton/data.htm see also http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ProbabilityChart.html If you want to draw the normal distribution's bell-shaped curve, see http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/ If you want to draw a histogram of actual data, there is a histogram tool in the Analysis ToolPak; see also http://w...

Suddenly Save and Save as greyed out in Excel 2003
I use a networked pc and laptop. My Save and Save As applications on the Excel 2003 toolbar have suddently become greyed out. Other users of shared spreadsheets do not have this problem. I do not have the problem with any other Office products. I can use Ctrl "S" or "Close" to get around the problem but this does not help with new workbooks where I need to select the correct location in which to save the file. Any suggestions for a quick fix? ...

microsoft Office Newsgroups?
Does anyone know whether Microsoft will continue to have newsgroups for Office 2010? My news server, news.individual.net doesn't seem to be showing any microsoft.public.office2010 of any of the programs. Are they available on a different server? Thanks. Louise Microsoft will never initiate another new NNTP newsgroup. MS has pronounced NNTP dead. Go to http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/ and download and install V40 of the Community Bridge. You will be able to use the Technet Office 2010 forums with your news client. On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:55:55 -0400, louise &l...

Plotting tabular data in an Excel graph?
I have some data in tabular form in an Excel spreadsheet - columns are the years (7 so far) and 12 rows represent the months. Is there any way I can plot the data in a linear graph, with time as the x-axis, direct from the table as it stands? If not, presumably I must go through an intermediate step to put the data all in one column or row first? Thanks, V PS I think I know the answer to this question - no! However, one of the delights of using this forum is that so often it turns out that someone, somewhere, has invented an ingenious solution for doing what one previously thought wa...

Creating an "exception" report from comparing 2 excel files
We run a report from our system every day that shows all employees and a bunch of demographic data on the employe. The number of rows varies based on the number of employees in the database. Is there a way to compare Monday's file to Tuesday's file in excel and get a list of just the rows that changed from the prior day's file? We have used a suggestion from (Martin W) "Say you have two sheets in one file Sheet1 and Sheet2. Then place this formula in A1 of Sheet3 and drag across and then down as far as needed. =IF(Sheet1!A1=Sheet2!A1,"",1)" ...

Install of Office 2007 on Win 7 does not install VBA
Hello, New install of Win7 Ultimate 64 bit from Dell. Office Pro 2007 installs, but there is no VBA folder under C:\Program Files ... \Microsoft Shared\, thus no VBE6.dll. My normal.dotm files loads. Trying to start Visual Basic from the Developer ribbon gives me a "Could not open macro storage." then Visual Basic editor loads and displays the usual list of modules in the Normal template. All attempts using Office setup to install VBA fail (it's indicated by default that it should be installed and run from the computer, partly because Access needs it by defau...

Match 2 different zip code lists
I have a large 42,000 list of US zip codes which each row (42,000 rows) has a zip code column, a counties column and states column that I want to match to a smaller 4,000 zip code list- with a zip code column & dollar amount column. Or even, use all the Illinois zip codes matched to a smaller IL zip codes list- so I can match same zip codes and corresponding county? Now, they are set up on separate workbooks or worksheets. thanks. Will123 wrote: > I have a large 42,000 list of US zip codes which each row (42,000 rows) has a > zip code column, a counties column and states ...

out of office reply outside of LAN
Is it possible to send out of office reply's to people outside of a lan? Would they recieve it. If it is possible where would i go to see the proper configuration for that? Yes it is - you need to configure your Exchange to allow out of office replies. View KBA 262352 for info regarding this. >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to send out of office reply's to people >outside of a lan? Would they recieve it. > >If it is possible where would i go to see the proper >configuration for that? >. > ...