Win Forms, WPF and Silverlight (?)

Hello.

Amateur hour Webbiz here. :-)

I'm in the middle of learning C# coming from VB6. Yes, it's a jump but
a guy's got to move into the 21st Century eventually. Besides, in my
past life (1980's) I was pretty familiar with C and C++ so learning
the language part has been a breeze.

However, .NET is a whole new world for me. Man, a lot has happened
since the ole API days!

While learning C# coding I'm getting familiar with my Visual Studio
2010 Pro IDE. Lots of strange files list that you have to get used to.

Meanwhile, I've got a book open for WPF and a book open for
Silverlight. I'm also learning how to use Expression Suite 3/4.

So what is my question you wonder? (maybe you don't, but it's a good
lead in than any, right?)

Yesterday I finally wrote a Windows Forms program to complete the
problem I was posting questions about the last couple days. It works
and I'm a happy camper. However I read in my WPF book that Win Forms
is a predecessor to WPF.

Using Windows Forms, did I just write code for something that is
already obsolete? Should I avoid writing Windows Forms code in favor
of WPF or Silverlight, or am I missing something?

As someone starting from scratch, would my time be better spent
learning WPF and Silverlight, one or both?

Let's say that I'm not young anymore and would rather not learn
something that is not necessary or pretty much being replaced if that
is what's happening with Windows Forms.

I hope my question isn't too dumb. I'm just trying to get the right
picture in my head to plot out my learning path.

Thanks!

Webbiz
0
Webbiz

are windows forms completely dead?
no

would you be better off learning WPF instead?
yes
especially if you're starting kinda fresh.

> As someone starting from scratch, would my time be better spent
> learning WPF and Silverlight, one or both?

Do you want to be a web developer?  Edge to Silverlight.
It not, you're not gonna be screwed either way.  But my opinion, go WPF for
now.

This is just an opinion...from someone who has gone to a few TechEd's and
local user groups.

"Webbiz" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> Amateur hour Webbiz here. :-)
>
> I'm in the middle of learning C# coming from VB6. Yes, it's a jump but
> a guy's got to move into the 21st Century eventually. Besides, in my
> past life (1980's) I was pretty familiar with C and C++ so learning
> the language part has been a breeze.
>
> However, .NET is a whole new world for me. Man, a lot has happened
> since the ole API days!
>
> While learning C# coding I'm getting familiar with my Visual Studio
> 2010 Pro IDE. Lots of strange files list that you have to get used to.
>
> Meanwhile, I've got a book open for WPF and a book open for
> Silverlight. I'm also learning how to use Expression Suite 3/4.
>
> So what is my question you wonder? (maybe you don't, but it's a good
> lead in than any, right?)
>
> Yesterday I finally wrote a Windows Forms program to complete the
> problem I was posting questions about the last couple days. It works
> and I'm a happy camper. However I read in my WPF book that Win Forms
> is a predecessor to WPF.
>
> Using Windows Forms, did I just write code for something that is
> already obsolete? Should I avoid writing Windows Forms code in favor
> of WPF or Silverlight, or am I missing something?
>
> As someone starting from scratch, would my time be better spent
> learning WPF and Silverlight, one or both?
>
> Let's say that I'm not young anymore and would rather not learn
> something that is not necessary or pretty much being replaced if that
> is what's happening with Windows Forms.
>
> I hope my question isn't too dumb. I'm just trying to get the right
> picture in my head to plot out my learning path.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Webbiz

0
sloan
5/21/2010 9:40:29 PM
Webbiz wrote:

> I hope my question isn't too dumb. I'm just trying to get the right
> picture in my head to plot out my learning path.

If you want to be a .Net architect, then learn the basics before you
jump off into WPF and Silverlight. You get yourself a good C# book
first. And then you get yourself a good ADO.NET book. You use both to
learn the basics.

..NET is more than learning what is happening at the UI.

Form there, then you learn the following:

What is Object-oriented-programming?

(OOP) is a programming paradigm that uses "objects" and their
interactions to design applications and computer programs.
The key concepts of OOP are the following:

Class
Object
Instance
Method
Message passing
Inheritance
Abstraction
Encapsulation
Polymorphism
Decoupling

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming>

No matter what development platform Java, .Net or others OOP is OOP.

http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/downloads/OOP2_from_Univ_KwaZulu-Natal.pdf

What are design patterns?

Design patterns are recurring solutions to software design
problems you find again and again in real-world application development.
Patterns are about design and interaction of objects, as well as
providing a communication
platform concerning elegant, reusable solutions to commonly encountered
programming challenges.

http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/1502691
http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/Patterns.aspx
http://www.pankaj-k.net/spubs/bookreviews/Head_First_Design_Patterns/index.html

And then you pull it altogether when you get whats in the link below to
see all the .Net technologies in action, along with the basics about
OOP(s) it will teach you how to code and use.

<http://www.dofactory.com/Framework/Framework.aspx>

The key is not learning WPF or Silverlight, which are only some aspects
of the whole .NET software development technology. The key to learning
..NET is do you understand OOP(s) and how to use OOP(s).

0
Mr
5/21/2010 11:42:20 PM
On Fri, 21 May 2010 17:40:29 -0400, "sloan" <sloan@ipass.net> wrote:

>are windows forms completely dead?
>no
>
>would you be better off learning WPF instead?
>yes
>especially if you're starting kinda fresh.
>

>> As someone starting from scratch, would my time be better spent
>> learning WPF and Silverlight, one or both?
>
>Do you want to be a web developer?  Edge to Silverlight.
>It not, you're not gonna be screwed either way.  But my opinion, go WPF for
>now.
>

>This is just an opinion...from someone who has gone to a few TechEd's and
>local user groups.

Thanks!

Appreciate your thoughts. Helpful.

:-)
Webbiz
0
Webbiz
5/22/2010 3:12:43 PM
Lots of good info and links.

Thanks Mr. Arnold.

Printed.

:-)
Webbiz

On Fri, 21 May 2010 19:42:20 -0400, "Mr. Arnold" <Arnold@Arnold.com>
wrote:

>Webbiz wrote:
>>

>> I hope my question isn't too dumb. I'm just trying to get the right
>> picture in my head to plot out my learning path.
>>

>If you want to be a .Net architect, then learn the basics before you
>jump off into WPF and Silverlight. You get yourself a good C# book
>first. And then you get yourself a good ADO.NET book. You use both to
>learn the basics.
>
>.NET is more than learning what is happening at the UI.
>
>Form there, then you learn the following:
>
>What is Object-oriented-programming?
>
>(OOP) is a programming paradigm that uses "objects" and their
>interactions to design applications and computer programs.
>The key concepts of OOP are the following:
>
>Class
>Object
>Instance
>Method
>Message passing
>Inheritance
>Abstraction
>Encapsulation
>Polymorphism
>Decoupling
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming>
>
>No matter what development platform Java, .Net or others OOP is OOP.
>
>http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/downloads/OOP2_from_Univ_KwaZulu-Natal.pdf
>
>What are design patterns?
>
>Design patterns are recurring solutions to software design
>problems you find again and again in real-world application development.
>Patterns are about design and interaction of objects, as well as
>providing a communication
>platform concerning elegant, reusable solutions to commonly encountered
>programming challenges.
>
>http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/1502691
>http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/Patterns.aspx
>http://www.pankaj-k.net/spubs/bookreviews/Head_First_Design_Patterns/index.html
>
>And then you pull it altogether when you get whats in the link below to
>see all the .Net technologies in action, along with the basics about
>OOP(s) it will teach you how to code and use.
>
><http://www.dofactory.com/Framework/Framework.aspx>
>
>The key is not learning WPF or Silverlight, which are only some aspects
>of the whole .NET software development technology. The key to learning
>.NET is do you understand OOP(s) and how to use OOP(s).

0
Webbiz

Query not populating form
I have CustomerName query that retrieves the CustomerName, Address, City, State, and Zip Code from the CustomerName table. CustomerName is a combo box. How do I get this query to put all the corresponding fields into a form automatically after selecting a CustomerName from the combo box? I thought if I created a query on a single table then made it the RecordSource of the form, assigned the Control Source of the control appropriately that the fields would fill in. Obviously, I am missing something, because I can't figure it out. Do I need a filter or something? If so, which one wo...

J-W's Data Form
Hello, Is anyone familiar with J-Walks Data Form. I've downloaded it but when data is entered into either a new record or inserted record or a record is updated unless you click previous record or something of that nature it doesn't update the new or inserted record, Also it doesn't do it on exit as would excels data Form. If it would do those things or if I could change those things in the source code easlily and quickly. I would purchase the rights to the source but If that is not possible then I'm not going to purchase the rights and I will just deal with excels ...

Code to add a carriage return to a memo field in a form
Hi I have a form, with multiple fields which then get concatenated to a single memo field on the form. The output I am after is that the information that gets added will have a blank line after it and the then the rest of the information that is already in the destination field I can do the concatenation ok, but I am unable to insert the carriage return at the end of the string. I have tried the code below and it does not work, any suggestion would be most welcome Me!Description = Me![Date] & " By: " & Me![By] & ", For: " & Me!For & ", - &...

Win 7...to..... Win XP??
Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// Rudy wrote: > Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop > w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// "w/o causing any problems" is ill-defined. It's no problem for me to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over a Windows XP system and continue using it... Is it a problem for you to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over Windows XP, install your applications and restore your data so you can us...

Custom forms in outlook
Receiving the message "The form you selected cannot be displayed contact your admin." Basically the cache needs to be cleared before the form will display. They have a hotfix for this on outlook 2003 which works (art #833856). However I'm also experiencing the issue in Outlook 2002 (art #305403). I have tried the reg hack and have the latest service packs all to no avail. We are running Windows XP with Office XP on dell machines. Anyone have any ideas? Outlook 2002 SP3 is somewhat subject to the same problem. You didn't say where the form is published. -- Su...

Find 2 highest point to form resistance line
Dear expert, Have left a post for finding 2 lowest point for form a support line. Now, would like to find 2 highest point to form a resistance line. Data is from an array for formula. In this case, should choose 91.27 and 87.96 to form resistance line. Although 89.95 is higher than 87.96, line is forward plotting. Is it possible? If the highest in last row, can show "No line". Thanks 52.35 26-Jan-10 59.87 18-Feb-10 89.95 26-Feb-10 85.41 05-Mar-10 91.27 10-Mar-10 87.96 23-Mar-10 36.69 29-Mar-10 I put your data in A1:B5 In E1 I find the maximum with =MAX(...

Form Based Auth.
Hi All, I have checked the option to use form based authentication but I don't get the web page login - still the pop up login box. I have restarted IIS. This is all internal at the moment till i get the forms working. Any ideas. Regards Joe. Do you have "require SSL" checked on the Exchange (and Public) virtual directories in IIS? Have you tried going to the https:// site manually? Forms-based auth only works with SSL. If you haven't required SSL and you go to the http page, it will still work just fine and will pop up the login box. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP ...

IF in a forms ON Load event...
Hi All... I use a popup form to copy text from textfield from an open form.. I want to use this code If Forms.[Fruitsbasket].[Fruits] = "Yellow" Then Me.[Fruittype] = "1st_Banana" End If I want to use five If's..but for some reason..it does not fire the first line of IF code...why is that? Thanks! Peter wrote: > Hi All... > > I use a popup form to copy text from textfield from an open form.. > > I want to use this code > > If Forms.[Fruitsbasket].[Fruits] = "Yellow" Then > Me.[Fruittype] = "1st_Banana...

Opening a form
Dear Sirs How can I do, if I click to open a database, that immidiately my main Form is opening. Thanks Klaus On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:07:05 -0800, Amateur wrote: > Dear Sirs > > How can I do, if I click to open a database, that immidiately my main Form > is opening. > > Thanks > Klaus Do you wish this for to always open when the database is first opened? Click on Tools + StartUp Set the Display Form/Page drop-down to the name of the form you wish to open. -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail ...

Quick create contact "form"
Is it possible to edit the Quick create form used when creating contacts from within the account primary contact picker ? Otherwise this is a suggestion to make this possible! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Co...

Update values in close opportunity form
Hi, I want to update the values in the drop down of the close opportunity form. I want to add/remove the values in the status reason field Is there any way I can do this? Thanks Eddie Not using the default crm forms. You have to build a custom aspx page calling the webservice for this. The CRM SDK has some details on this look for the SetStatusRequest -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT Web: aviva-it.nl "eddieg@uniqueworld.net" wrote: > Hi, > > I want to update the values in the drop down of the close opportunity > form. I want to add/rem...

Resetting the filter when going from one form to another
I have a "add new form" for the user to add new part numbers to the database. If the number entered in the part number field matches one already in the database, a message box pops up giving them the choice to edit the existing number. Clicking yes returns the user to the "edit form" where they can then make changes to the existing information. This all works EXCEPT I am using the Do.Cmd OpenForm with the criteria of the part number of the "edit form" being the same as the part number of the "add new form" This sets the filter on the "ed...

Legends on a Chart in a form
I have an AR DB that I have created. One of it's functions shows if something in Past Due. I used the check box format. It works quite well, until I go to put it into a pie chart. If I use the legend in access it assigns a value of 0 or 1 instead of something that a user could make sense of. The only way I can find to change the labels for the legend is to go into design view of the form and double click on the graph. This takes me into DataSheet view. From there I can change the labels for the legend. The problem is that the new labels don't stick. As soon as I close ...

Install WIN 98 after WIN XP
On my notebook i have installed WIN XPSP2 on partotion C(NTFS). Then I have created partition E on the same hard disk(D is CD drive), and format it to FAT32 situable for instalation of WIN 98. The problem for me is how to install WIN 98 to E drive, without deleting WIN XP, and with boot menu to choose which operating system want to use. I need to install WIN 98 for diagnostic software of some old devices that won´t work on WIN XP. I was thinking to solve this problem in next steps: - create an image of operating system(image of WIN XP) on NTFS file system with some backup a...

Outlook form controls
I added a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet control to an outlook form and published the form to a personal folder. The form was based on a Task template. I added a new Task folder and set it to open the new form with the Excel control. When I tried to use the form, the data entered into the Excel spreadsheet would not "bind" with the form after saving. Is there someway to save the data in the Outlook 2003 form so that each time the form is opened is will have the data from the last time that instance of the form was saved? ...

Making a Time book Form
I'm creating a time book in access to record Shift work and time off and such things. so far everything seems Ok but the Form. i need the Form to lay out as a Biweekly calender, dates across the top employees down the left side. The User puts in a Payperiod Number and the rest of the Form populates on Refresh and the user can make adjustments. I can't seem to find away to make it work. Does any one have any suggestions? Have a look at the Flex Grid Demo program at :- http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=21&SID=5debzz2c87c6957859f13b1d2zcccf...

error encountered installing office pro plus 2010 Win 7 ultimate 3
Trying to install Office Pro Plus 2010 in Win 7 unltimate 32bit downloaded from technet as the installer was starting to run got this error "Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:windows\installer\546ca7b.ipi -2147287035) ???? -- Thanks for the help Since Pro Plus is a volume license you would need to seek support from your Home IT dept, or via the phone numbers given with your 'purchase' of Pro Plus "pauldemo" <pauldemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:226448E2-498C-4D1B-A798-0D92E04D839A@microsoft.com... > Try...

Win 7 x64 and problems with ERUNT
I have, since loading Win 7 x64, not been able to use ERUNT to automatically backup the Registry at startup. It appears that if you elect for the ERUNT default configuration to save the 'backup' to %systemroot%\ERDNT the backup will fail. However, I have since learned, (Google where else?) that if you elect to save the backup to another folder it will succeed. In my case I save the backup to a USB drive (P:\ERDNT) and 'autobackup' runs as it should at startup. ...

Continuous Form OnClick
I am trying to open the form (frmAdditionalCharges) at the same record/Field "ChargeNumber" (Text) I have a Textbox [tbChargeNumber] hidden on my Continuous Form Thanks for any help ............Bob Private Sub tbAdditionCharge_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "frmAdditionalCharges" stLinkCriteria = "[ChargeNumber]=" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , stLinkCriteria End Sub Bob V wrote: > I am trying to open the form (frmAdditionalCharges) at the same > record/Field "ChargeNumbe...

Outlook Express 6.0 Win XP #2
How do I make a back-up of my messages on outlook express to burn on a CD ? Thanks ...

LINKING FORM TO REPORT
Hello again to all acces users. Here is a question, I've been trying to solve for a long time. I have this form presenting data of a training course. And have a report presenting data of the students that attended the training. The Report has the following structure. Main report: data of company promoting the training course. Subform: presenting data abaout one specific training course Subform.subform: presenting data of the students. Now, the linking data is a alfanumeric code located in the main subform that identifies the training course. How can I have a button linking a form and l...

Printing in Win NT vs Win 2000
When printing a document in NT, it is coming out differently than from 2000. It doesn't matter what printer you print to. I've tried 4 different printers so far. The option in Excel is fit to 1x1 page. Any ideas? Thank you. Kathy I'm afraid it is difficult to get prints the same from different printers and operating systems as the drivers will be different all round. Excel uses setting from the drivers. You could try and ensure that all same printers have all same version of drivers for each operating system. (Normally manufacturers release them all together for Winx) ...

Creating a Matrix of Answers in Access Form
I am working on creating a form in access for users to input the results of a program evaulation. I have a handful of evaluation topics that program attendees rate on a scale (strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree, and strongly disagree). I would like to display this in the form with the evaluation topic to the left and a series of check boxes under the above scale items. For example if a program attendee indicates the strongly agree that the program meet their needs, the end user would place a checkbox under strongly agree in the row that says, "this program meet my needs.&q...

form/subform question
I have a form with two textboxes in it. I also added a subform to it. On the beforeupdate event of each form, i set it up to prompt the user about saving the data. My question is: Is there a way to set it up so that it only prompts you once and perform the actions(save or discard data) on both the main form and subform? My other question is: Can you link textboxes to values in listboxes just as you can do with subforms and textboxes? tope12 wrote: >I have a form with two textboxes in it. I also added a subform to it. On the >beforeupdate event of each form, i set it ...

Navigate records on a form
Used to be able to hold down the Next button in the Navigation buttons and "scoot" through lots of records. How can I do that in Access 2007? Situation now is that I have to continuously click the Next button to move one record at a time. Please help. Seems to be a big OOPS on the part of Access '07 developers. -- TedMi PALI "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62B98A7F-F043-4B17-BDBF-3550CB4013C7@microsoft.com... > Used to be able to hold down the Next button in the Navigation buttons and > "scoot" through lots of...