Tool for comparing two versions of a codebase???

Hello,

Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?

Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
the reference solution.

I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various
projects. I change some code in
various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
a new solution.

Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have
a tool report to me which
changes have occured.

Are there any good tools for this?

I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
in C.

Thanks.

0
Bert

Bert wrote:

> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?

http://winmerge.org/ ?
0
Jason
7/2/2010 2:27:38 PM
Bert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions? [...]

Maybe.  It depends on what you're actually looking for.

If you're trying to do a comparison of the source code, Visual Studio
comes with WinDiff, which can do that.  There are also other programs to
do the same, such as the WinMerge that Jason suggested.

If you're trying to do a comparison of the binaries, that's a bit
harder.  There's a program called BitDiffer that does an okay job as
long as the changes are mainly about what's been added, and the names of
namespaces, types and type members in the older DLL have remained the
same.  But it doesn't handle renaming very well.  As long as you aren't
concerned with that, it might work for you.

Pete
0
Peter
7/2/2010 3:41:34 PM
It happens that Bert formulated :
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?
>
> Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
> the reference solution.
>
> I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various projects.
> I change some code in
> various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
> a new solution.
>
> Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have a
> tool report to me which
> changes have occured.
>
> Are there any good tools for this?
>
> I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
> in C.
>
> Thanks.

Sounds like you need a good source control tool.  Most of them will let
you do version comparisons, etc, as part of the standard package.

There are many excelent, and free, source control tools out there, so
there is really no good reason not to use one.  My personal faviorite
is svn - using tortoise svn on the client....

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
7/2/2010 4:08:00 PM
Bert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?
>
> Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
> the reference solution.
>
> I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various
> projects. I change some code in
> various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
> a new solution.
>
> Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have
> a tool report to me which
> changes have occured.
>
> Are there any good tools for this?
>
> I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
> in C.
>
> Thanks.

Yep. Your brain.
0
Sjouke

Published with errors for one of two administrators
I am using 1.2 and having a problem with the deployment manager. I have two administrators, Adm1 and Adm2. Adm1 deployed CRM and installed the SQL server. We are using a copy of SBS 2003 that was upgraded from standard to premium. Adm2 has always been the domain admin, but was added to CRM after it was deployed. Both are Sales Pro licensed in CRM and have the System Administrator role. Problem: Adm1 and Adm2 can both customize the system, but only Adm1 can publish without errors. When Adm2 tries to publish, it publishes with errors, and has several loggings in event viewer, all ...

Mailbox Cleanup Tools
I would like you to try to find some tools that will allow me to apply per-mailbox and per-folder policies to our Exchange 5.5 mailboxes. For example, I'd like to be able to say: delete everything in everyone's deleted items folder older than 180 days. Also, delete everything in Joe Smith's inbox older than 90 days, but only delete things in Margre G's inbox older than 180 days. ...

Determining the version/service pack of a database
I have a backup copy of a GP database but no accompanying DYNAMICS database. How can I determine (through a SQL query) what version/ service pack the database is at? Thanks. Zack, This is not possible. The current service pack (build numbers) level for each GP database are stored in the DB_UPGRADE table in the DYNAMICS database. select * from dynamics..db_upgrade On a second thought, if you know the version of GP where the database came from and if you take a pesimistic approach and restore the database to a shell company created with RTM version of GP, you can then proceed to apply s...

Need two fonts from Microsoft
I'm trying to obtain the Arabic fonts Andalus and Arabic Transparent. Apparently, they are fonts owned and supplied by Microsoft and can be installed with a Windows XP disc. Unfortunately, the design company I work for works on Macs. I was wondering if the Windows XP fonts could be run on a Mac, and if so if there was an easy way to legally obtain these fonts. James Bacon jbacon@cloudgehshan.com Hi James: On 20/12/06 9:01 AM, in article 1166565686.231438.89950@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com, "baconjh@gmail.com" <baconjh@gmail.com> wrote: > I was wondering if the Windo...

Stacked/clustered column chart with a two vertical axes
Much has been discussed here about how to build this chart, but I haven't found anything explaining the possibility of combining it with a second y axis. I want to graph the advertising expenditure and gross rating points (what would be the return of investment on advertising) on television for three diaper brands by day part. Day parts would be represented by the different colors of which columns will consist. There are 5 of them: day, early, prime, late and over. For each brand, I want that two data columns show. The one to the right will represent the expenditure in $ and the one to the...

"This Identity cannot be opened with this version..." 04-07-10

Help
I just need an administration tool for Exchange on Server 2003. The help on the server is wrong, and the downloads have all kinds of crap for analyzing my server. All I want to do is be able to find out how much storage is allocated for each user and how to change it. Why is that so goddam impossible? On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:50:07 -0800, Old Fart <OldFart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I just need an administration tool for Exchange on Server 2003. The help on >the server is wrong, and the downloads have all kinds of crap for analyzing >my server. All I ...

Where are the tools?
I am sorry to be so stupid but I can't find the Exchange Administration Tools. I all the CD's for Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition and can't seem to find the admin tools on any CD. Can anyone point me to the right location? to install the ESM, you run setup from the CD, and select to install only the ESM... "JohnD" <JohnD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B68254B5-73EB-40D2-AF2F-43A8ECACE72E@microsoft.com... > I am sorry to be so stupid but I can't find the Exchange Administration > Tools. I all the CD's for Win...

Excel Tool Bar Gone
My "alpha" excel tool bar is gone (e.g., File, Edit, Data, Help). The object tool bars are still there, but I can't figure out how the "alpha" tool bar left or, more importantly, how to get it back. Any ideas? Right click on a toolbar, and choose Customize from the pop up menu. In the dialog that displays, ensure that "Worksheet Menu Bar" is checked. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "txhokie1" <txhokie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14EE5353-8723-...

Two Servers Simultaneous Write Access to Fibre Channel
In a normal configuration, two Windows servers cannot both have write access to a fibre channel logical volume without potentially corrupting the volume. What are the *cheapest* options - using either standard Windows software or a third party file system - that would allow two Windows servers to simultaneously have write access to a single fibre channel volume? -- W Hi W, this will only be possible with some "art" of clustered file systems. There is currently only one from Microsoft available (CSV) which is free but currently ONLY for Hyper-V usage supported. ...

Updated Calendar Tool (No Macros)
Hi Group, This yearly calendar tool allows users to choose years from 1900 to 2400. Pretty challenging task to do this using spreadsheet programming rather than macro programming. http://www.techronology.com/index.php?pageID=004002&prodID=tool001 Thanks, Alex ...

Administrative Tools
Windows XP SP3 machine. When logged in to a Windows Domain network with Power User privileges, all entries (shortcuts) in the Administrative Tools menu (Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools) do not work. Right clicking any entry and selecting Properties only shows General and Shortcut tabs. The Security tab is missing. The shortcut tab indicates the shortcut is invalid. When logged in as the local computer administrator, all Administrative Tools menu entries work properly. On other equally configured computers on the network and logged in as a network use...

How to Remove the E-mail Accounts Option from the Tools Menu in Outlook 2002
The following Knowledge base describe how to remove the account option from the tools men in OUTLOOK EXPRESS. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 242165 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;242165 I would like to do the same thing but in outlook 2002. basicaly, I want to set up pop e-mail accounts on client machines and disable any configueration changes by the user. thanks Use Windows Policies or use a custom installation of Outlook and select what options are available to end-users. Or, simply prevent the users from adding an Internet Account by disabling that opti...

Share Workbook is grayed out in the Tools menu
Why is "Share Workbook" grayed out? What do I need to do differently to use that function? I'm using MS Office Pro 2003 Is that option always greyed out? Or is just greyed out for this workbook? Start a new workbook and test it out. If it's always greyed out, you can try resetting that toolbar: Tools|Customize|toolbars tab select worksheet menu bar click Reset Did that work? Alicia wrote: > > Why is "Share Workbook" grayed out? What do I need to do differently to use > that function? I'm using MS Office Pro 2003 -- Dave Peterson I was able...

Microsoft CRM in two domains in same forest?
Hi, I'd like to ask if it is possible to install Microsoft CRM in two domains within the same forest. Each domains would have its own Domain Controllers, Web Server and SQL Servers to install Microsoft CRM. What do you think? Thanks ! Sylvain "Sylvain Belanger" <sylvain.belanger@proximi-t.com> wrote in message news:%238YS1XyaEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I'd like to ask if it is possible to install Microsoft CRM in two domains > within the same forest. Each domains would have its own Domain Controllers, > Web Server and SQL Servers to i...

split contents in one cell into two cells
i have data in a microsoft word document that is 2 long columns, seperated by a space. when i copy and paste this into Excel, it copies it into 1 column with a space between the numbers. how can i split this one column into 2 different columns? Hi egoldwyn Use Data>Text to columns in the menu bar -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "egoldwyn" <egoldwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78393FA1-FC1D-45DE-9BB9-C580884592FF@microsoft.com... >i have data in a microsoft word document that is 2 long columns, seperated by > a space. wh...

tool bars
I do not have any tool bars in Outlook 2002. I cannot receive or send mail. Can some one help me on how to get the tool bars back. Thanks Locate outcmd.dat and rename it to .old -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "sharonann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41f901c47fd4$d4d723c0$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I do not have any tool bars in Outlook 2002. I cannot > receive or send mail. Can some one help ...

How do I use exchange tools to identify who is sending virus from network
What tool can we use to help identify who is sending out virus email through our exchange server? We thought we had all computers protected, but it seems somehow they got in. We are trying to determine where the virus are originating from and not having much luck. Does anyone have any ideas on what tools could help with this? Thanks, Paul Stephenson Paul Stephenson wrote: > What tool can we use to help identify who is sending out virus email > through our exchange server? > > We thought we had all computers protected, but it seems somehow they > got in. We are trying to d...

Information about version 1.3
Hi all I am curruntly running a version 1.2 But I want to upgrade with version 1.3 and I only have one station and I dont have Maintenance Plan. Who can sell me version 1.3 ? Any certified RMS Partner can sell you the Maintenance which will then entitle you to the 1.3R. You may have to sign a change of Partner request if you do not purchase it from the Partner you originally bought RMS from. Maintenance is 18% of the software cost. Rob "Gill" <Gill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE78DFDE-6218-420B-B86F-F47E12F663A5@microsoft.com... > Hi all > ...

multiple OAB Versions in System Manager?
I have the following OAB folders in my System Manager, and I'm wondering if any of them can be deleted. OAB Version 2 OAB Version 2 OAB Version 3a Offline Address Book - /o=Chelan County Courthouse Email/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address List... Offline Address Book - CCSECURITY Exchange 2003 Penny Hello Penny, Don't delete any of them. They are used by different clients. for instance the OAB Version 2 is for older mapi clients and the OAB version 3 is a unicode format used by newer clients. Even if you deleted them they would most likely be re-created during ...

tools
I had to send an e-mail with read receipt option but now I cant remove it. I click on it but it stays. What do I do to remove so every e-mail i send doesnt ask for one? -- cc "ccbaker" <ccbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D139C4A3-B2DE-43D9-8E16-7D04AE8D597D@microsoft.com... >I had to send an e-mail with read receipt option but now I cant remove it. >I > click on it but it stays. What do I do to remove so every e-mail i send > doesnt ask for one? > -- > cc Tools>options>receipts. -- Regards Steve. ...

stress / performance testing tool for Dynamics GP 10
Is there any stress / performance testing tool available for Dynamics GP 10? ------=_NextPart_0001_16D3B820 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, Thanks for posting to Newsgroups. GP development may have special tools for creating or posting heavy GP activity, however we in support do not have access to them. As far as performance testing/troubleshooting, tools that test network latency and SQL performance are what we sometimes use for troubleshooting performance issues. These include SQL Profiler (built in with SQL) to create SQL traces and ensure there is ...

two bugs... anyone know fixes?
First; Under message rules, when trying to get Outlook2003 to filter on people from my contacts list, the list of people has some people missing. If I go into the contacts lists outside of the rules wizard, these people are there. But inside the wizard, the contacts list is missing a hadful of contacts, making it impossible to base rules on emails they send. Secondly, firing up Outlook Express as a news reader from the tool bar only worked once.... I followed the instructions to add the command to the tool bar. First click, OE loaded fine. Second click, instead of OE opening, I get a folder ...

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019) & version 1.1
Hello Everyone in this network, I need help. I am not very computer savy. I tried to update the above two through Microsoft Update but am getting an error being Failed. Can someone help me with this. My system has windows XP with SP3. I am even unable to download certain softwares due to this i think. I had remote access to work system from home but since my computer crashed last time i am having all sorts of trouble. Please help. Thanking in advance, Bhavesh. ...

changing tool tip at runtime
Hello, Is it possible to change the text of a tool tip of a toolbar button at runtime? Thanks, Vaclav Yes you can. You can use CToolBar::SetButtonText to change the tooltip of the toolbar button. AliR. "Vaclav" <no@spam.please> wrote in message news:O5IyCGExFHA.3112@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is it possible to change the text of a tool tip of a toolbar button at > runtime? > > Thanks, > Vaclav > > > Never mind, I was wrong! I thought that would do the trick. I am looking for a solution. AliR. "AliR" <AliR@onlin...