Tool for comparing two versions of a codebase???

Hello,

Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?

Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
the reference solution.

I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various
projects. I change some code in
various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
a new solution.

Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have
a tool report to me which
changes have occured.

Are there any good tools for this?

I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
in C.

Thanks.

0
Bert

Bert wrote:

> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?

http://winmerge.org/ ?
0
Jason
7/2/2010 2:27:38 PM
Bert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions? [...]

Maybe.  It depends on what you're actually looking for.

If you're trying to do a comparison of the source code, Visual Studio
comes with WinDiff, which can do that.  There are also other programs to
do the same, such as the WinMerge that Jason suggested.

If you're trying to do a comparison of the binaries, that's a bit
harder.  There's a program called BitDiffer that does an okay job as
long as the changes are mainly about what's been added, and the names of
namespaces, types and type members in the older DLL have remained the
same.  But it doesn't handle renaming very well.  As long as you aren't
concerned with that, it might work for you.

Pete
0
Peter
7/2/2010 3:41:34 PM
It happens that Bert formulated :
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?
>
> Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
> the reference solution.
>
> I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various projects.
> I change some code in
> various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
> a new solution.
>
> Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have a
> tool report to me which
> changes have occured.
>
> Are there any good tools for this?
>
> I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
> in C.
>
> Thanks.

Sounds like you need a good source control tool.  Most of them will let
you do version comparisons, etc, as part of the standard package.

There are many excelent, and free, source control tools out there, so
there is really no good reason not to use one.  My personal faviorite
is svn - using tortoise svn on the client....

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
7/2/2010 4:08:00 PM
Bert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?
>
> Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
> the reference solution.
>
> I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various
> projects. I change some code in
> various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
> a new solution.
>
> Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have
> a tool report to me which
> changes have occured.
>
> Are there any good tools for this?
>
> I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
> in C.
>
> Thanks.

Yep. Your brain.
0
Sjouke

Reverse engineering tools
I have been asked to look at somebody else's Excel VBA code (it is in house and not pirated!). Multiple sheets and userforms abound in it! It is quite well structured but undocumented and has no comments - ugh! Are there are tools that you can recommend for reverse engineering this morass? I am thinking of tools that will generate flowcharts from the code, create calling tables (what calls what) and scope of variable and where they are used. A freeware or shareware tool is prefered. Suggestions welcomed. TIA Chris On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:20:28 -0000, "Chris Watts" &...

Linking two text boxes
I have a text box on page one of a document and I have another text box on page two of the same document. I want both boxes to contain the same text - although formatted differently. How can I type it once and have it automatically change in the second text box? Best way is to copy/paste the text and re-format. There really isn't any easy way to synchronize objects. JoAnn Paules had a way to use a text box from a newsletter template. Look for a post dated May 6, 4:20 PM by Jim. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com ...

Visio 2002 EA Tool Windows are extremely frustrating
Every time I open a tool window it opens in its default location on the screen. I use a dual-monitor setup so that I can avoid having all the tool windows of a program on the same screen as the main document. Microsoft must not want me to do this because they are working against me. What is so hard about making a simple function to read/write window positions from/to the registry or a file??? As a standard, I do this when developing even the simplest of applications. Does anyone know how to fix this or do I have to write my own freakin plugin to do it myself??? Which tool window are yo...

Outlook APPCRASH on two Vista computers at the same time. Help!!!!
On Tuesday, I replaced a router that was faulty and causing extremely slow Internet connections. The new one works fine. Today, Thur, i'm told Outlook 2007 is crashing on two machines. Both machines got an email from a particular user at the company, listed multiple times. That user had a new computer which I setup. All machines run Macafee antivirus, which is up to date and all machines have automatic windows updates. I'm wondering if an automatic update could have caused this, now that the Internet connection is much stronger and could complete larger updates. Was running like...

CRM 3.0 Dutch version
We have install 3.0 SBS and working now with this for 10 weeks. We have a lot problems with CRM 3.0: Using Build 3.053.00 We have fix a lot off all problems with help from this Discussion board. But the problems are ther many times Webclient crashes many times, we have update and patch the IE. Webklient has strange faults in the user interface, twice F F in search tabs Accounts. Slow start CRM server (SQL server) when use CRM not for more then 300 Min. User access trow Webclient an Internet. Most functions like sync E_mail, Contacts and sort off information with Outlook will work not as aspe...

help where is this tool at?????
show icon on tool so you know when new mail has arrived and you are not in outlook express where is this feature located??? Hi, Peg - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x...

Form Field won't update two different tables
I have a from field that I added to a form. All other fields in this form are linked to Table 1 (the form was created to fill Table 1) but this new field needs to update Table 2. I have the field linked correctly as I can see but it does not appear to be working any ideas as to why? First, it is not a field, it is a control. Only tables and queries have fields. Forms and Reports have controls and controls can be bound to fields in the form's recordset. This is the problem you are having. The control you are using cannot be bound to a field not in the form's recordset. It ...

Backup tool acting up
My backup tool (Outlook 2003, Windows XP Home SP3) is programmed to perform a daily backup of (a) Personal Folders (outlook backup.pst) and (b) Archives (archive backup.pst). And it has been doing so for years without a problem. However, as of late, and without any software/hardware changes in my PC, when I close down Outlook 2003 for the day the backup window comes up, but the only file "offered" for backup is "Archive." The Personal Folders file (i.e., the main one) is not backed up. Again, no changes in my PC that would justify this. Outlook doesn't h...

Two servers, same domain, delayed mail delivery from outside to 2nd server
Before I got here, someone decided they didn't want to spend the money for Exch5.5 enterprise, so now we have two standard Exch5.5 servers with one as the "front end" that accepts all external e-mails and houses about half our recipients and another server behind it that only handles the other half of our recipients. Both running Exch5.5 & WinNT. For some reason about 2 months ago, delivery from the IMS is severely delayed to the second server; sometimes a user will wait 20-40 minutes for e-mails and suddenly a ton show up in their mailbox. I don't have this problem wit...

comparing ranges
Hi , do we have a way or a macro which can compare two ranges which contain integers and find out missing items....like there are 2 ranges....rang A and range B,,,after running that macro i can find out what is i range A but misssing in range B and what is in range B but not in rang A. any ideas...i can do with vlook up but looking for an easier way than -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi for a non VBA solution see: http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi , > > do we have a way or a macro which can ...

Allow Defaults for Tools
Would like to have the ability to set the defaults for the Tools - Options window for all CRM users and/or groups of users. Settings include Default Pane, Default Tab, Records Per Page, and Time Zone. -- Thanks, Justin ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. ...

Outlook Backup tool registry settings
we are using the outlook backup tool in our enterprise and are having a problem with users ignoring the prompts for whatever reason that nobody in IT can quite understand. We are trying to figure out a way to tell remotely (via wmi) who is being prompted (and clicking Cancel) and who is actually running the backups properly. How does the backup utility know when to trigger? Is it a registry setting that records a date/counter? A settings file? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. No, it holds a reference in the pst-file itself. See http://www.msoutlook.in...

How do you do a combination chart using two bar charts.
The first bar I would want a tri-bar showing equities, fixed income, and cash. The second bar next to it would be a solid bar showing a withdrawal amount. These would be categorized by years: 2006, 2007, 2008, etc. Is this possible to accomplish? -- cdgiz Hi, Links to cluster/stacks can be found here. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy cdgiz wrote: > The first bar I would want a tri-bar showing equities, fixed income, and > cash. The second bar next to it would be a solid bar showing a withdrawal > amount. These would be categorized ...

Two y-axes and two column charts
Excel 2003 - I am trying to create a two column chart where each is plotted on it's own y axis. I can use the custom chart to do a line and a column; two lines, or a bar and a column. When I try to do two columns, they stack. The user wants them side by side. Is there a way to 'trick' the system or is he stuck with the options I've just describe? Suzan - Here's the trick: dummy series. Here's one way how: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutio...

Using redeployment tool
We are having this error when trying to use redeployment tool 11/21/2005 12:09:48 Export started 11/21/2005 12:09:59 Searching for the Organizational Unit with name Complete Solutions Limited and GUID {6641afb8-23cd-4ca9-ba37-4955e68c2430} 11/21/2005 12:09:59 Search root is : LDAP://CS 11/21/2005 12:10:05 The wizard could not find the Microsoft CRM organizational unit (OU) that is specified in the database. Make sure the OU exists in Active Directory. 11/21/2005 12:11:01 Export ended Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Kyaw ...

Comparing Data #3
Using Excel 2003 I have a list of names in Column A: Billy Susie Sally Fred I have another list of names in Column B: Billy Susie Johnny Sally Fred I want to compare the two columns of data to find names in Column B that are not in Column A. I cannot use the "match" function because one extra name in Column B (Johnny) throws off the side-by-side match of the two columns. Sally and Fred are both still in each column even though the extra name "Johnny" causes them to be offset from their match in Column A. Is there some other way of accomplishing this comparison?...

tool bar icons for insertion into instruction document
I understand I may be in the wrong group, but I am trying to prepare a rather remedial teaching document and wanted to be able to insert a tool bar icon for recognition into the document but have been unable to locate or determine where I should go to retrieve and insert these icons for visual reference on my training document. Please help. Thanks. ...

Online quotes for Money 2000 Italian (version 8.0)
Hello there. I recently purchased some new SICAV but cannot make the online quotes download to work. I have always downloaded quotes from IlSOle24Ore, which is the national web site where to get those info, but apparently the SICAV abbreviation belongs to the MSN web site and I am not able to make it work, though I can see the quote on the MSN web site. The abbreviation I inserted into money is correct. I'm using Money 2000 Italian on Windows XP. Unfortunately I cannot purchase the new Money version since it has not yet been released in Italian ;-) I was wondering if there was a...

I Need a list of tools, for Software Configuration Management tool
Please help I Need a list of tools, for Software Configuration Management tools for change control of software changes, etc. is any one have any idiea what Tool that work best for Software Configuration Management then We can use for our Dept. Please help On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 05:14:00 -0800, IVT <IVT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: We are using Microsoft Visual SourceSafe which comes with Visual Studio. It's not great but good enough we don't feel the urge to invest in PVCS or others. -Tom. >Please help I Need a list of tools, for Software Configuration Management &g...

Access to RSS Tool
Is there a tool out there that will convert an Access database into a RSS XML feed? I know I can setup a database with the correct RSS fields and then convert to XML, but it would be nice to have a tool that would do the proper conversions. -- Brandon http://www.presentationsdirect.com ...

reporting tool
i m using exchange 2003 and need some reporting tool which can give reports by sender, by receiver, total mail received etc. any idea? Faisal: There are a BUNCH of tools out there that can provide you anywhere from very basic tools all the way up to more details than your management can ever want to see. Microsoft has a comprehensive listing at http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/partners/reportgenerator.asp I cannot vouch for most of these, since I have never used them in production. NetIQ is one of the most popular (and expensive). Microsoft Operations Manager is also pretty...

Version 8.0 & PDF
I just started working with a new company. They have just updated from version 6.0 to 8.0. Everything is working ok. Before the upgrade they used the pdf option to send invoices and purchase orders. Now that option is grayed out on the print to screen display. Nothing has changed except the GP update. How can I enable the pdf option again? Thanks Are you sure you didn't upgrade Adobe to version 6.0? The button greys out on the newer Adobe version, but works fine with the older 5.0. As a workaround, you can still print to an adobe printer, it's just not as easy. -Trevor &...

Business Tools is Missing
Help I have uninstalled and reinstalled BCM 3 times as well as outlook 2003. When I install Business contacts it works great until I close outlook and re-open it. When its re-opened the business tools menu is gone and in Business Accounts it will not allow me to add contacts or anything in the history on existing contacts or if I try to create a new acocunt. In fact in the history box it shows all my e-mail. I have tried everyhting to fix it and I am desperate. Any Ideas? ...

Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System 2003
Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System 2003 Microsoft Corp. DATE......: 03-10-2003 TYPE......: Application OS........: WinALL DiSKS.....: xx/02 PROTECTiON : NONE/RETAiL RELEASE NOTES Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System provides developers the tools and technologies they need to build the next generation of solutions for the Microsoft Office System. Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System includes: Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microso...

Combining two tables and separating duplicates
Hello, I have two different mailing lists, one from company A and one from company B. To prevent company A & B from sending duplicate invitations, I would like to combine the two lists in Access using e- mail addresses as a unique identifier. How do I query to find and separate the duplicates into a separate table. The desired end result would be one final mailing list (the duplicates identified and Company A's mailing information kept) and one list with all the duplicate contacts? Thanks in advance! susanohkwon@gmail.com wrote: >I have two different mailing lists, one from comp...