How to collapse C# XML doc comments like in VB.NET

Anybody know how I can set environment in C# so that when you will
press "-" sign in front XML doc comment (///) it will collapse like in
VB.NET, With that i mean you will see only summary text and not only
<summary> tag.

Let me show example and results in both languages.

In VB.NET:
  ''' <summary>
  ''' Add two whole numbers
  ''' </summary>
  ''' <param name="intNr1">First number</param>
  ''' <param name="intNr2">Second number</param>
  ''' <returns></returns>
  ''' <remarks></remarks>
  Function AddNumbers(ByVal intNr1 As Integer, ByVal intNr2 As
Integer) As Integer
    Return intNr1 + intNr2
  End Function

when I press "-" to collapse comment I get nicely only this row above
procedure:

Add two whole numbers
Function AddNumbers(ByVal intNr1 As Integer, ByVal intNr2 As Integer)
As Integer
  Return intNr1 + intNr2
End Function

But for same procedure in C#:

    /// <summary>
    /// Add two whole numbers
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="intNr1">First number</param>
    /// <param name="intNr2">Second number</param>
    /// <returns></returns>
    /// <remarks></remarks>
    public int AddNumbers(int intNr1, int intNr2)
    {
      return intNr1 + intNr2;
    }

 when I press "-" next to the comment I get this:

    /// <summary> ...
    public int AddNumbers(int intNr1, int intNr2)
    {
      return intNr1 + intNr2;
    }

So what is the point of collapsing of such comment in C# if you cannot
see at the top what is the most important when you collapse comment?

So my quesitons is: How to see same summary also in C# like it is in
VB.NET?
0
Billy

"Billy" <abil2y@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> So my quesitons is: How to see same summary also in C# like it is in
> VB.NET?

You can't. The C# and VB.NET editors are different; it's not just the
languages. In most situations I think the C# experience is superior, but
there are cases where VB.NET has an edge, and this is one of them.

0
Jeff
7/1/2010 2:18:57 PM
On Jul 1, 4:18=A0pm, "Jeff Johnson" <i....@enough.spam> wrote:
> "Billy" <abi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > So my quesitons is: How to see same summary also in C# like it is in
> > VB.NET?
>
> You can't. The C# and VB.NET editors are different; it's not just the
> languages. In most situations I think the C# experience is superior, but
> there are cases where VB.NET has an edge, and this is one of them.

Yes, I completly agree that C# is more intuitive and more natural, but
that flaw should be implemented by design already.
0
Billy
7/2/2010 5:37:12 AM
On 7/1/2010 5:57 AM, Billy wrote:
> Anybody know how I can set environment in C# so that when you will
> press "-" sign in front XML doc comment (///) it will collapse like in
> VB.NET, With that i mean you will see only summary text and not only
> <summary>  tag.
>
> Let me show example and results in both languages.
>
> In VB.NET:
>    '''<summary>
>    ''' Add two whole numbers
>    '''</summary>
>    '''<param name="intNr1">First number</param>
>    '''<param name="intNr2">Second number</param>
>    '''<returns></returns>
>    '''<remarks></remarks>
>    Function AddNumbers(ByVal intNr1 As Integer, ByVal intNr2 As
> Integer) As Integer
>      Return intNr1 + intNr2
>    End Function
>
> when I press "-" to collapse comment I get nicely only this row above
> procedure:
>
> Add two whole numbers
> Function AddNumbers(ByVal intNr1 As Integer, ByVal intNr2 As Integer)
> As Integer
>    Return intNr1 + intNr2
> End Function
>
> But for same procedure in C#:
>
>      ///<summary>
>      /// Add two whole numbers
>      ///</summary>
>      ///<param name="intNr1">First number</param>
>      ///<param name="intNr2">Second number</param>
>      ///<returns></returns>
>      ///<remarks></remarks>
>      public int AddNumbers(int intNr1, int intNr2)
>      {
>        return intNr1 + intNr2;
>      }
>
>   when I press "-" next to the comment I get this:
>
>      ///<summary>  ...
>      public int AddNumbers(int intNr1, int intNr2)
>      {
>        return intNr1 + intNr2;
>      }
>
> So what is the point of collapsing of such comment in C# if you cannot
> see at the top what is the most important when you collapse comment?
>
> So my quesitons is: How to see same summary also in C# like it is in
> VB.NET?

If you modify the comment format slightly, it will give you a result
closer to what you want.  That is, move the <summary> tags and content
onto a single line:

     ///<summary>Add two whole numbers</summary>
     ///<param name="intNr1">First number</param>
     ///<param name="intNr2">Second number</param>
     ///<returns></returns>
     ///<remarks></remarks>
     public int AddNumbers(int intNr1, int intNr2)
     {
       return intNr1 + intNr2;
     }

Not necessarily the "standard" way I see C# docs written, but it gives
the result you are looking for.

-Adam
0
Adam

XML and DOM through MFC?
I am new to DOM and XML. 1. Certain device commands are to be stored in a reference file. The commands exchanged between the device and the PC should be trapped. The trapping component must parse through the reference file. It is recommended that the reference file be XML. Can I access Microsoft DOM through MFC? 2. The commands that are exchanged are to be stored as HTML and RTF. How can I do it through MFC? Harish wrote: > I am new to DOM and XML. > 1. Certain device commands are to be stored in a reference file. The > commands exchanged between the device and the PC should be...

moving from c++ to visual studio c++ (winpcap) problem
Hi ! i have a problem related to winpcap, i'm curretly making a sniffer aplication for my studies. I want to accomplish this http://www.winpcap.org/docs/man/html/group__wpcap__tut3.html but in visual studio, the problem is related to the function pcap_loop(adhandle, 0, packet_handler, NULL); it has a pointer to the function packet_handler. It works fine in console, but how do i make it work in windows forms?? a have made an form with an button which pressed should do the stuff that the function main does in te program from the above linlk, but should call the function from inside the c...

Array function comments
Array functions work well, but the problem is they can slow down a workbook if there a a few complicated ones in it (even if they are in a sheet different to the one you are in). It is a pity that there is not a refresh option similar to a pivot table. In my case array functions are mostly used in some form of summary or report, and they do not need to be continually updated. One way to work around it is to put the sheet with array functions in another workbook and only open that when needed. Any comments from the newsgroup? Laurence Lombard Sounds like what you want is the ability to ha...

convert form back to 2007 word doc ???
Ok So I sent out the form for people to complete - I get the forms back but I need to collect them all and put back into ONE word doc ? I use 2007 word Thank you ...

Recommendations for Xml Editor Component that can be hosted in WinForm
Hey, I am looking for recommendations for a component that supports Xml editing that can be hosted in a .Net application. Free or Commercial. Thanks in advance! Best regards, Bill ...

expand and collapse
Does anyone have any directions or examples of how to do a drill down button on a form. I want to have a topic and when the user pushes the + sign it will open forms or command buttons related to that topic and then of course I could collapse the button as well. Any suggestions would be helpful. It would work similar to this website or a pivot table. Thanks What you describe sounds like the Windows Tree View Control. There are quite a number of references in former MVP, now Microsoft employee, Jeff Conrad's "Access Junkie" website... http://www.accessmvp.com/JCo...

How do I resize shape in powerpoint (resizing collapses the shape
I can draw a shape in PowerPoint 2007 but when I click on it to change the size, it collapses vertically. I can stretch it horizontally but can't change the vertical height. Have you applied all the hot fixes and service packs to PowerPoint 2007? There were issues with this early on, but most have been resolved with the updates. Bill Dilworth "jmmarq4" <jmmarq4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD51B77B-1C94-471B-A574-551191857A98@microsoft.com... >I can draw a shape in PowerPoint 2007 but when I click on it to change the > size, it...

CSV c/r l/f displays as box
I have a csv created from external application. When opened and saved as ..xls the c/r within each cell display and print as a box. I am guessing it differs from the excel alt return, which does not display. Is there a way to replace the erroneous char so a box is not displayed? Since you're creating the .CSV file, it might be easiest to replace the c/r with an unused character (maybe |). Then you could import your file and select all the cells and do: edit|Replace what: | with: ctrl-j replace all === If you used the alt-enter (aka Line Feed) character (char(10)) in your .CSV file,...

Looking for XML Template Reference Docs
I need to make some changes to the Receipt Templates and Statement formats. In RMS, these templates are designed in XML. Can somebody point me to a reference doc that will assist me in customizing these templates? I am most interested in seeing a list of possible variables that can be included in reports/receipts/statements. Thanks, Paul Arenson Anderson Plywood Sales Culver City, CA ...

Comparing XML Files

Un-flattening XML-data

Tooltips like VS
I'm trying to reproduce the behavior of Visual Studio where the tabs show the filename and when you hover over the tab it gives you the full path to that file. I started the MDI project as having Visual styles and colors: Visual Studio 2005. I'm developing in VS 2008 if that matters. Thanks, Drew On Feb 8, 1:06=A0pm, "Drew" <d...@dam.com> wrote: > I'm trying to reproduce the behavior of Visual Studio where the tabs show > the filename and when you hover over the tab it gives you the full path t= o > that file. I started the MDI project ...

Programmatically Expand or Collapse a sub menu
Does anyone know how to do this on a CMenu object? I'm working on a RClick feature for a CMenu. I've got to the point now where, while the menu is displayed, I can Right click on a menu item then that item will automatically be converted to a SubMenu and the little arrow on the right side appears - this all happens automatically while the menu is still displayed. Problem is that I have to move the mouse over, in order to display the new submenu. I would like for the submenu to be displayed automatically, after I've added it. Is there a hidden method on CMenu that I can't see...

XML Serialization Help
Hello, I have an existing set of C# classes that encapsulate our application data. They are in a heirachy with each subclass defining more specific types of data. I would like to serialize these data objects as XML but perserve the relationships in the XML document. For example, if my classes were: public class GenericItem { } public class MoreSpecific : GenericItem { } public class VerySpecific : MoreSpecific { } I would like the XML document to look like, <GenericItem> <MoreSpecific> <VerySpecific></VerySpecific> </MoreSpecific...

C# Adding Days to a Date
Hello, I have 2 objects: objContract.activeon and objContract.expireson. I am trying to add 364 days to objContract.activeon and assign it to the value of objContractexpireson. ---------------------------------------------------------- // Contract Start Date DateTime dt = DateTime.Now; objContract.activeon = new CrmDateTime(); int iFound = 0; string sTemp = ""; if (objAccount.paymenttermscode.Value == 1) // due on receipt - use Todays Date { objContract.activeon = objInvoice.CFDinvoicedate; } else // ...

Comments in excel 2003
Hello! I get the data from data warehouse. I than input the data in Excel. I have a list of accounts in column A. In column B, C, D... are months from January to December, and then for each month specific amounts for certain account. I have to input comments for certain specific amounts (if they are much higher or lower as to provide explanation for these exceptions). So I do this for each month- but when I get data for new month, also new accounts appear. If they would not- I could just import new data (for all months) and then copy- paste special- comments, and all comments would be in th...

"red" Triangle in Comment Indicator- make bigger??
The little red traingle on the corner of a cell that contains a comment, can it be made bigger? Thanks Mike No. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 05:03:03 -0700, MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The little red traingle on the corner of a cell that contains a comment, can >it be made bigger? >Thanks >Mike Hi! You can use the drawing tools and manually draw a larger triangle that will cover the comment indicator. It's not real easy but it can be done. Biff "MikeR-Oz" <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

LIKE statement in ADO prodices no results
I have a front/end and back/end MS Access databases that I am connecting via ADO. In the f/e I am issuing a query containing LIKE statement. The very same query works fine when issued in the b/e Access mdb. When placed in f/e VBA code, it does not work, there are no results returned, but no syntax error. I have a strong suspicion that the wildcard * may not work properly with ADO? My query is something like this: "Select field1, field2 from tbl where field2 LIKE '*blah*'" after successful DAO connection in VBA. There are no results. But there are results when the same que...

how to implement multithreading in c#
Hi! i am a professional developer and i have made an antivirus. but when i start scanning if we click on the dialog or minimize or any other work on that dialog. it goes on busy state, and after complition of scaning it will displayed in actual state. this occures because i am scnaing and the drawing of form both done in same thread. i try my best to run in different format but failed. is there any body who help me. i will be very great full of him. i think if the code of stop watch like software will help me most. send me the link where i find that code. or any other help aco...

XML File Size
Hello - thanks for your time. I've built an intranet site that uses an xml file as a data source for dynamic content. Currently the xml file is approximately 1 mb. The file will grow beyond this size as time goes on. The application works great locally, but when I run it on a production server, or hit my local machine from another pc, the application fails. The pages don't completely load, or they hang. If i work with a smaller xml file, say less than 300kb, the application performs as expected. Again i don't experience any of this behavior when working locally - http:...

Does it not compile because it thinks I'm writing C?
I'm trying to add a little COM stuff to an old project and I'm getting a number of compilation errors. The new stuff, I have put into a separate file (setpid.c & setpid.h) The code is lifted straight from MSDN examples and worked when they were in another, MFC project. These are the errors I'm getting: The line hr = CoCreateInstance(CLSID_CTaskScheduler, NULL, CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER, IID_ITaskScheduler, (void **) &pITS); gets the following errors: c:\src\pcbax\pcbaxcmd\src\setpid.c(42) : error C2115: 'function' : incompatible types c:\src\pcba...

How to prevent automatic collapsing of "inner" folders when collapsing "outer" folder in Outlook 2003?
In Outlook 2003 I created a big private folder tree where I store all my emails according to the topic. Assume I expanded all the folder so that the "inner" folders are all visible in the tree. Now I collapse the outermost folder and re-open (re-expand) it again immediately. I expected that the collapse/expand state of the "inner" folder is kept. Much to my surprise this is not the case. ALL folders are collapsed and I have to re-open them all manually again. This is very un-convenient. Is there an option to prevent this automatic collapsing of inner mail folders? Sven...

Reading XML
Can you read an XML file into a predefinded structure? "Chris Baker" <ChrisBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6C8B9F2-4548-4925-97F6-53662674DE7F@microsoft.com... > Can you read an XML file into a predefinded structure? Do you mean something like this: http://xerces.apache.org/ -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk ...

Syntax for "OR" in WHERE clause passing parameters from C# ASP.NET
Hello Community I am passing parameters SQL Server from an C# ASP.NET app. When creating the query I have need to use an “or” operator after the Where clause when comparing values. Does anyone know the syntax for this type of thing? Below is the code: public DataSet getCustomer(string Addr, int PhoneNo) { string strSQL = " select distinct a.firstname + ' ' + a.lastname as Name"; strSQL += " from table1 a Join Table2 b "; strSQL += " on a.id = b.id "; ...

Can I save e-mail from Outlook with attachments as a word doc.
I would like to back up my e-mail with attachments (either single e-mails or several thousand) to a simple word document with attachment for archival. Can this be done. I do not want to backup and restore as I don't any longer need most of the information. ...