C#.net 2008 build problem

I am asking for help on compiling a C#.net 2008 application since I have not
been able to obtain  a successful build with no errors yet.

This application that we need to support has no documentation and the
programmer(s) who wrote the application are not with the company any longer.

This C#.net 2008 solution has lots of project files in it.

You can compile this application in the following modes:
a.debug, b. debug-test, c.debug-development, d. debug-production,
e. release, and there is a class manager configuration file.

I am getting errors like:

1. Error	33	The type or namespace name 'completionImport' could 
not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)	
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\
TableAdapterManager.cs	

I can find the namespace in lots of different *.cs files. However I do not
know what to do get get the correct *.cs file. I am guessing this has to do 

2.  Warning	2	Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly 
"Q.proxy". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference 
is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.

I know that the program would compile without the proxies but I can tell
from the code that I will to use proxies like this.
Thus can you tell me how to resolve this problem.

3. Can you also tell me know to figure out how to obtain a good  build 
for this soltuion?


Us girls at work have not seen a program like this before since
our most recent experience is using Vb.net 2003. 

Thank you very much!
0
Utf
6/26/2010 2:46:20 AM
dotnet.languages.csharp 1931 articles. 0 followers. Follow

11 Replies
1217 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 5

Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> [...]
> I know that the program would compile without the proxies but I can tell
> from the code that I will to use proxies like this.
> Thus can you tell me how to resolve this problem.

The error messages a fairly clear, and since none of us have access to 
the actual solution file and/or whatever libraries you may be trying to 
use, there's no way to provide any specific instructions.

The bottom line is that, as the errors suggest, you appear to have not 
included the necessary library or libraries corresponding to the types 
you want to use, and possibly also are trying to use unqualified type 
names without having the necessary "using" directives to import the 
namespace(s) for the types.

Once you look at what libraries are actually required and the types 
you're using, you should be able to add the necessary references to the 
project and/or the necessary "using" directives to the source files.

Note that if you have simply attempted to copy a solution from 
somewhere, you may have failed to include all the necessary libraries 
it's dependent on.  It may not be possible to fix the problems until you 
track down the libraries you need and include them with your solution or 
at least somewhere they can be used.

Pete
0
Peter
6/26/2010 5:10:48 AM
Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> I am asking for help on compiling a C#.net 2008 application since I have not
> been able to obtain  a successful build with no errors yet.
> 
> This application that we need to support has no documentation and the
> programmer(s) who wrote the application are not with the company any longer.
> 
> This C#.net 2008 solution has lots of project files in it.
> 
> You can compile this application in the following modes:
> a.debug, b. debug-test, c.debug-development, d. debug-production,
> e. release, and there is a class manager configuration file.
> 
> I am getting errors like:
> 
> 1. Error	33	The type or namespace name 'completionImport' could 
> not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)	
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\
> TableAdapterManager.cs	
> 
> I can find the namespace in lots of different *.cs files. However I do not
> know what to do get get the correct *.cs file. I am guessing this has to do 
> 
> 2.  Warning	2	Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly 
> "Q.proxy". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference 
> is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
> 
> I know that the program would compile without the proxies but I can tell
> from the code that I will to use proxies like this.
> Thus can you tell me how to resolve this problem.
> 
> 3. Can you also tell me know to figure out how to obtain a good  build 
> for this soltuion?
> 
> 
> Us girls at work have not seen a program like this before since
> our most recent experience is using Vb.net 2003. 
> 
> Thank you very much!

Are you sure you have the latest code for this application?

Usually when you get the error #1,  it means that a project is missing, 
the project is there but the code is not up to date for other projects 
that are making references to the project.

Are you running out of memory, which can make the compiler not load all 
of the code during the compile?

Are you trying to compile the entire application (all the projects) or a 
subset of projects based on a solution (.sln) file? If doing a subset of 
projects and not compiling the entire solution first will lead to error #1.

Have you looked at the solution tree in the IDE, expanded the 
(References) for each project to see what is missing?

Are you doing Project Reference for each project?

0
Mr
6/26/2010 8:31:09 AM
"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

  You have kind of answered my question.

  The following are a few more items to mention:

  1. In answer to your questions, according to subversion, the open-source 
version control software my company is using, I am using the current solution.
  2. error 1- you are correct, I am  I doing a subset of  projects and not 
compiling the entire solution first. What difference does it make if I 
compile just one of the projects or the entire solution? Why would I need to 
compile the entire solution first and then compile a project by itself? For 
now, I am just trying to see if I could get anything to compile clean at 
first.
 3.  Are you doing Project Reference for each project? I do not know what 
you mean by this? Is this part of a a class manager configuration file? Can 
you tell me how to do a 'project reference' for each project?
 4. Since I checked out this code from subversion, can you tell me how I can 
find the dll that some 'project files' are looking for?

  Thank you very much!
> 





"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

> Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> > I am asking for help on compiling a C#.net 2008 application since I have not
> > been able to obtain  a successful build with no errors yet.
> > 
> > This application that we need to support has no documentation and the
> > programmer(s) who wrote the application are not with the company any longer.
> > 
> > This C#.net 2008 solution has lots of project files in it.
> > 
> > You can compile this application in the following modes:
> > a.debug, b. debug-test, c.debug-development, d. debug-production,
> > e. release, and there is a class manager configuration file.
> > 
> > I am getting errors like:
> > 
> > 1. Error	33	The type or namespace name 'completionImport' could 
> > not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)	
> > C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\
> > TableAdapterManager.cs	
> > 
> > I can find the namespace in lots of different *.cs files. However I do not
> > know what to do get get the correct *.cs file. I am guessing this has to do 
> > 
> > 2.  Warning	2	Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly 
> > "Q.proxy". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference 
> > is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
> > 
> > I know that the program would compile without the proxies but I can tell
> > from the code that I will to use proxies like this.
> > Thus can you tell me how to resolve this problem.
> > 
> > 3. Can you also tell me know to figure out how to obtain a good  build 
> > for this soltuion?
> > 
> > 
> > Us girls at work have not seen a program like this before since
> > our most recent experience is using Vb.net 2003. 
> > 
> > Thank you very much!
> 
> Are you sure you have the latest code for this application?
> 
> Usually when you get the error #1,  it means that a project is missing, 
> the project is there but the code is not up to date for other projects 
> that are making references to the project.
> 
> Are you running out of memory, which can make the compiler not load all 
> of the code during the compile?
> 
> Are you trying to compile the entire application (all the projects) or a 
> subset of projects based on a solution (.sln) file? If doing a subset of 
> projects and not compiling the entire solution first will lead to error #1.
> 
> Have you looked at the solution tree in the IDE, expanded the 
> (References) for each project to see what is missing?
> 
> Are you doing Project Reference for each project?
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/26/2010 6:11:17 PM
"Peter Duniho":

 You have kind of answered my question. 

  The .net solution I have, I obtained from a subversion 'version control'  
open-source that my small company uses. I just checked out the .net solution 
to my desktop.
  I know that I need to add some dll refernces, but I need to be able to 
figure out where the DLL are located at. By the name of the DLL files, I know 
that I have 
the various namespaces I could use and compile. Where you do think the dlls 
would be located at? Would they be in the debug/bin directory or the 
release/bin directory?

  I know that one of the there is at least one 'custom' control that have 
been included in several of the projects in the solution. Do you have any 
ideas on how I could find the custom control, build them and then add them as 
a reference to the various projects?

  Thanks!
  

"Peter Duniho" wrote:

> Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> > [...]
> > I know that the program would compile without the proxies but I can tell
> > from the code that I will to use proxies like this.
> > Thus can you tell me how to resolve this problem.
> 
> The error messages a fairly clear, and since none of us have access to 
> the actual solution file and/or whatever libraries you may be trying to 
> use, there's no way to provide any specific instructions.
> 
> The bottom line is that, as the errors suggest, you appear to have not 
> included the necessary library or libraries corresponding to the types 
> you want to use, and possibly also are trying to use unqualified type 
> names without having the necessary "using" directives to import the 
> namespace(s) for the types.
> 
> Once you look at what libraries are actually required and the types 
> you're using, you should be able to add the necessary references to the 
> project and/or the necessary "using" directives to the source files.
> 
> Note that if you have simply attempted to copy a solution from 
> somewhere, you may have failed to include all the necessary libraries 
> it's dependent on.  It may not be possible to fix the problems until you 
> track down the libraries you need and include them with your solution or 
> at least somewhere they can be used.
> 
> Pete
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/26/2010 6:11:18 PM

"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

> Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> > I am asking for help on compiling a C#.net 2008 application since I have not
> > been able to obtain  a successful build with no errors yet.
> > 
> > This application that we need to support has no documentation and the
> > programmer(s) who wrote the application are not with the company any longer.
> > 
> > This C#.net 2008 solution has lots of project files in it.
> > 
> > You can compile this application in the following modes:
> > a.debug, b. debug-test, c.debug-development, d. debug-production,
> > e. release, and there is a class manager configuration file.
> > 
> > I am getting errors like:
> > 
> > 1. Error	33	The type or namespace name 'completionImport' could 
> > not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)	
> > C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\
> > TableAdapterManager.cs	
> > 
> > I can find the namespace in lots of different *.cs files. However I do not
> > know what to do get get the correct *.cs file. I am guessing this has to do 
> > 
> > 2.  Warning	2	Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly 
> > "Q.proxy". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference 
> > is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
> > 
> > I know that the program would compile without the proxies but I can tell
> > from the code that I will to use proxies like this.
> > Thus can you tell me how to resolve this problem.
> > 
> > 3. Can you also tell me know to figure out how to obtain a good  build 
> > for this soltuion?
> > 
> > 
> > Us girls at work have not seen a program like this before since
> > our most recent experience is using Vb.net 2003. 
> > 
> > Thank you very much!
> 
> Are you sure you have the latest code for this application?
> 
> Usually when you get the error #1,  it means that a project is missing, 
> the project is there but the code is not up to date for other projects 
> that are making references to the project.
> 
> Are you running out of memory, which can make the compiler not load all 
> of the code during the compile?
> 
> Are you trying to compile the entire application (all the projects) or a 
> subset of projects based on a solution (.sln) file? If doing a subset of 
> projects and not compiling the entire solution first will lead to error #1.
> 
> Have you looked at the solution tree in the IDE, expanded the 
> (References) for each project to see what is missing?
> 
> Are you doing Project Reference for each project?
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/26/2010 6:11:34 PM
Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> "Mr. Arnold" wrote:
> 
>   You have kind of answered my question.
> 
>   The following are a few more items to mention:
> 
>   1. In answer to your questions, according to subversion, the open-source 
> version control software my company is using, I am using the current solution.

Ok
>   2. error 1- you are correct, I am  I doing a subset of  projects and not 
> compiling the entire solution first. What difference does it make if I 
> compile just one of the projects or the entire solution? Why would I need to 
> compile the entire solution first and then compile a project by itself? For 
> now, I am just trying to see if I could get anything to compile clean at 
> first.

That's because if other programmers have made changes to projects added 
or removed reference in other projects or changed code in other projects 
that your code is reliant upon in a project, then you're going to get 
the type of error messages you're seeing or your code may encounter an 
exception and blow-up.

So, it's up to you to do a (Get Latest), assuming only valid and tested 
code is being checked-in by other programmers that will not create 
compile errors or exceptions, for all the code for the solution and 
compile the entire solution first (periodically) or as needed to keep 
the solution in sync, if doing subset compiling of projects for the 
solution.

Otherwise, you are going to face the trouble you're facing when working 
with a larger solution that has many projects in it and doing subset 
project compiling -- (everything is not in sync, not up to date, not the 
greatest and latest).

>  3.  Are you doing Project Reference for each project? I do not know what 
> you mean by this? Is this part of a a class manager configuration file? Can 
> you tell me how to do a 'project reference' for each project?

That means you goto to each project in the IDE that has a reference to 
another project or (projects)  and set the reference to the referenced 
project's project file (a projectname.csproj). Otherwise, that can cause 
compile errors if a project is referencing a project (by the referenced 
project's DLL) instead of using (Project Reference by project).

>  4. Since I checked out this code from subversion, can you tell me how I can 
> find the dll that some 'project files' are looking for?
> 

If you're in the IDE and you're at a project, then expand the 
"Reference" section. If you see the "yield sign symbol" next to a 
reference line, then you know you may have problems with reference to a 
DLL the project is using.
0
Mr
6/26/2010 9:22:50 PM
Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> "Peter Duniho":
> 
>  You have kind of answered my question. 
> 
>   The .net solution I have, I obtained from a subversion 'version control'  
> open-source that my small company uses. I just checked out the .net solution 
> to my desktop.
>   I know that I need to add some dll refernces, but I need to be able to 
> figure out where the DLL are located at. By the name of the DLL files, I know 
> that I have 
> the various namespaces I could use and compile. Where you do think the dlls 
> would be located at? Would they be in the debug/bin directory or the 
> release/bin directory?

I have no idea, nor even any idea why you think I or anyone here would. 
  We don't even know what DLLs you're talking about, never mind where 
one would normally find them.  They literally could be anywhere.

>   I know that one of the there is at least one 'custom' control that have 
> been included in several of the projects in the solution. Do you have any 
> ideas on how I could find the custom control, build them and then add them as 
> a reference to the various projects?

Google?
0
Peter
6/27/2010 8:03:25 AM
"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

   You answered most of my extra questions but I still have a few more 
additional questions based upon your last response which are:

1. This pertains to obtaining the 'latest version' subversion: 
    a. What do you do to obtain the 'latest' version in subversion? Are 
there some commands you execute?
   b. The subversion that the programmer used that checked this code in left 
some time ago and this company had a different location for subversion. There 
was some kind of a problem with the original location for subversion, so a 
'new' network person at this company changed the location of the subversion I 
checked out code from. Could using a different location for subversion cause 
a problem? Should I go try to check out the code from the original location 
where the code was checked into subversion?

2. Project Reference for each project
    To add a project reference for each project, can could expand upon:
     If you're in the IDE and you're at a project, then expand the 
> "Reference" section. If you see the "yield sign symbol" next to a 
> reference line, then you know you may have problems with reference to a 
> DLL the project is using.
 Basically I would then select 'add a reference' by right clicking on the 
situation listed above.. From the tabbed items I could select, I know there 
are about four tabs like '.net', com, and two more tabbed items. Which tab 
would I select? Once I pick the correct tab, would kind of an item would I 
need to select to add the correct reference?
  
3. Is there a way to tell when a project should be referenced by the 
referenced > project's DLL) and when the project should be referenced by  
using (Project Reference by project)? If so, how can you tell this?

4. The following pertains to a dll:
  a. Where would I look to obtain a few dll's that are missing in the 
solution?
  b. If I can not find some dll's, is there a way to tell what code in the 
solution I should to use to compile (build) the dll (executable)?
  C. Can you tell me how to compile the separate dll's and how to add the 
separate dll's into the solution?

 Your help has been one of the best I have ever seen for people! Thank you 
again very much!

 So you are saying each project has its own a projectname.csproj file? (I 
was assuming that the entire solution had only one csproj file.) 

"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

> Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> > "Mr. Arnold" wrote:
> > 
> >   You have kind of answered my question.
> > 
> >   The following are a few more items to mention:
> > 
> >   1. In answer to your questions, according to subversion, the open-source 
> > version control software my company is using, I am using the current solution.
> 
> Ok
> >   2. error 1- you are correct, I am  I doing a subset of  projects and not 
> > compiling the entire solution first. What difference does it make if I 
> > compile just one of the projects or the entire solution? Why would I need to 
> > compile the entire solution first and then compile a project by itself? For 
> > now, I am just trying to see if I could get anything to compile clean at 
> > first.
> 
> That's because if other programmers have made changes to projects added 
> or removed reference in other projects or changed code in other projects 
> that your code is reliant upon in a project, then you're going to get 
> the type of error messages you're seeing or your code may encounter an 
> exception and blow-up.
> 
> So, it's up to you to do a (Get Latest), assuming only valid and tested 
> code is being checked-in by other programmers that will not create 
> compile errors or exceptions, for all the code for the solution and 
> compile the entire solution first (periodically) or as needed to keep 
> the solution in sync, if doing subset compiling of projects for the 
> solution.
> 
> Otherwise, you are going to face the trouble you're facing when working 
> with a larger solution that has many projects in it and doing subset 
> project compiling -- (everything is not in sync, not up to date, not the 
> greatest and latest).
> 
> >  3.  Are you doing Project Reference for each project? I do not know what 
> > you mean by this? Is this part of a a class manager configuration file? Can 
> > you tell me how to do a 'project reference' for each project?
> 
> That means you goto to each project in the IDE that has a reference to 
> another project or (projects)  and set the reference to the referenced 
> project's project file (a projectname.csproj). Otherwise, that can cause 
> compile errors if a project is referencing a project (by the referenced 
> project's DLL) instead of using (Project Reference by project).
> 
> >  4. Since I checked out this code from subversion, can you tell me how I can 
> > find the dll that some 'project files' are looking for?
> > 
> 
> If you're in the IDE and you're at a project, then expand the 
> "Reference" section. If you see the "yield sign symbol" next to a 
> reference line, then you know you may have problems with reference to a 
> DLL the project is using.
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/27/2010 1:27:44 PM
Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> "Mr. Arnold" wrote:
> 
>    You answered most of my extra questions but I still have a few more 
> additional questions based upon your last response which are:
> 
> 1. This pertains to obtaining the 'latest version' subversion: 
>     a. What do you do to obtain the 'latest' version in subversion? Are 
> there some commands you execute?

It has to do with going to the code repository, I am sure you have 
something, and getting the latest version of all the code out of the 
repository. It has to do with you knowing how to work with the code 
repository solution to accomplish it.

>    b. The subversion that the programmer used that checked this code in left 
> some time ago and this company had a different location for subversion. There 
> was some kind of a problem with the original location for subversion, so a 
> 'new' network person at this company changed the location of the subversion I 
> checked out code from. Could using a different location for subversion cause 
> a problem? Should I go try to check out the code from the original location 
> where the code was checked into subversion?

It comes back to this. If this is the first time you have tried to 
compile this solution, then you need to get the latest code/projects 
(all of the projects -- all of the code) out of the repository and 
compile the entire solution (all of it all of the projects) the first 
time, before you can compile a subversion.

You have to compile the entire solution the first time, because if you 
compile the subversion the first time, things will not be there that the 
subversion of projects are looking for (references to other projects) 
outside of the subversion of projects that will lead to compile errors 
for the subversion.

If you have not done this, then you have to do it. You can't go to the 
subversion initially and compile it, because those projects may be 
looking for references to other projects that are outside the subversion 
and they are not there (DLL's) compiled from other projects referenced 
are not there physically on your development machine.


> 
> 2. Project Reference for each project
>     To add a project reference for each project, can could expand upon:
>      If you're in the IDE and you're at a project, then expand the 
>> "Reference" section. If you see the "yield sign symbol" next to a 
>> reference line, then you know you may have problems with reference to a 
>> DLL the project is using.

>  Basically I would then select 'add a reference' by right clicking on the 
> situation listed above.. From the tabbed items I could select, I know there 
> are about four tabs like '.net', com, and two more tabbed items. Which tab 
> would I select? Once I pick the correct tab, would kind of an item would I 
> need to select to add the correct reference?

What path to take is based on what type of reference is needed. If its a 
  .NET Framework reference, the (.NET), if it's a 3rd party DLL, then 
you need to 'Browse' to the location of the DLL you have on the machine, 
and if it's by project reference, then you have to 'Browse' to the 
location of the project file on the machine and use it.

> 3. Is there a way to tell when a project should be referenced by the 
> referenced > project's DLL) and when the project should be referenced by  
> using (Project Reference by project)? If so, how can you tell this?

None of the projects should be using a DLL for project reference. All 
projects should be using (Project Reference). Because when you use 
'Project Reference' the complier knows to go find the DLL for other 
projects by itself without you needing to point to it yourself.

> 
> 4. The following pertains to a dll:
>   a. Where would I look to obtain a few dll's that are missing in the 
> solution?

You have to determine what the DLL(s) are .Net Framework, 3rd party or 
DLL created from compiling a project.

I would say your biggest problem may be is that you have not compiled 
the entire solution first to get project DLL(s) on the machine before 
you tried to compile a subversion of projects, because those projects 
are looking for reference to projects outside the subversion that have 
not been complied.

>   b. If I can not find some dll's, is there a way to tell what code in the 
> solution I should to use to compile (build) the dll (executable)?

Why bother? If this solution is one big solution of projects, then 
compile the entire thing not the subversion or an individual project, 
and it will work itself out.

>   C. Can you tell me how to compile the separate dll's and how to add the 
> separate dll's into the solution?

Take note on everything I have told you prior to this point.

> 
>  Your help has been one of the best I have ever seen for people! Thank you 
> again very much!
> 
>  So you are saying each project has its own a projectname.csproj file? (I 
> was assuming that the entire solution had only one csproj file.) 
> 

A solution has a main .sln file that holds all of the project for the 
entire solution, and you can tell it to compiler to use the .sln file 
and do the compile of all projects in the .sln.

You can have a .sln file that has a subversion of projects and any 
common projects (core projects) that the subversion of projects have 
reference to outside of the subversion of projects.

Maybe, you need a contractor in there for a short time to help you 
figure this out and what you need to do.

HTH and good luck to you.....
0
Mr
6/27/2010 4:54:51 PM
"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

  I want to mention the following:

  1. To compile the big solution for the first time, I need to compile the 
code outside of the 'subversion' version control software? Basically, I would 
need to get out all
references to the 'subversion' source control for the first time?
  2.  All the code is in subversion source control, so I need to get all the 
code initially
from that location.
  3. Should I look at 'subversion' source control 'help' on the internet to 
see why I lose references to projects within in the same solution?  Basically 
should I look at the 'subversion' version control online help to see the time 
of items that can be lost when a .net solution is checked in and how to solve 
the problem?

  You are probably right that I may need a contractor for a short period of 
time to help me. 

Thanks!
"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

> Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> > "Mr. Arnold" wrote:
> > 
> >    You answered most of my extra questions but I still have a few more 
> > additional questions based upon your last response which are:
> > 
> > 1. This pertains to obtaining the 'latest version' subversion: 
> >     a. What do you do to obtain the 'latest' version in subversion? Are 
> > there some commands you execute?
> 
> It has to do with going to the code repository, I am sure you have 
> something, and getting the latest version of all the code out of the 
> repository. It has to do with you knowing how to work with the code 
> repository solution to accomplish it.
> 
> >    b. The subversion that the programmer used that checked this code in left 
> > some time ago and this company had a different location for subversion. There 
> > was some kind of a problem with the original location for subversion, so a 
> > 'new' network person at this company changed the location of the subversion I 
> > checked out code from. Could using a different location for subversion cause 
> > a problem? Should I go try to check out the code from the original location 
> > where the code was checked into subversion?
> 
> It comes back to this. If this is the first time you have tried to 
> compile this solution, then you need to get the latest code/projects 
> (all of the projects -- all of the code) out of the repository and 
> compile the entire solution (all of it all of the projects) the first 
> time, before you can compile a subversion.
> 
> You have to compile the entire solution the first time, because if you 
> compile the subversion the first time, things will not be there that the 
> subversion of projects are looking for (references to other projects) 
> outside of the subversion of projects that will lead to compile errors 
> for the subversion.
> 
> If you have not done this, then you have to do it. You can't go to the 
> subversion initially and compile it, because those projects may be 
> looking for references to other projects that are outside the subversion 
> and they are not there (DLL's) compiled from other projects referenced 
> are not there physically on your development machine.
> 
> 
> > 
> > 2. Project Reference for each project
> >     To add a project reference for each project, can could expand upon:
> >      If you're in the IDE and you're at a project, then expand the 
> >> "Reference" section. If you see the "yield sign symbol" next to a 
> >> reference line, then you know you may have problems with reference to a 
> >> DLL the project is using.
> 
> >  Basically I would then select 'add a reference' by right clicking on the 
> > situation listed above.. From the tabbed items I could select, I know there 
> > are about four tabs like '.net', com, and two more tabbed items. Which tab 
> > would I select? Once I pick the correct tab, would kind of an item would I 
> > need to select to add the correct reference?
> 
> What path to take is based on what type of reference is needed. If its a 
>   .NET Framework reference, the (.NET), if it's a 3rd party DLL, then 
> you need to 'Browse' to the location of the DLL you have on the machine, 
> and if it's by project reference, then you have to 'Browse' to the 
> location of the project file on the machine and use it.
> 
> > 3. Is there a way to tell when a project should be referenced by the 
> > referenced > project's DLL) and when the project should be referenced by  
> > using (Project Reference by project)? If so, how can you tell this?
> 
> None of the projects should be using a DLL for project reference. All 
> projects should be using (Project Reference). Because when you use 
> 'Project Reference' the complier knows to go find the DLL for other 
> projects by itself without you needing to point to it yourself.
> 
> > 
> > 4. The following pertains to a dll:
> >   a. Where would I look to obtain a few dll's that are missing in the 
> > solution?
> 
> You have to determine what the DLL(s) are .Net Framework, 3rd party or 
> DLL created from compiling a project.
> 
> I would say your biggest problem may be is that you have not compiled 
> the entire solution first to get project DLL(s) on the machine before 
> you tried to compile a subversion of projects, because those projects 
> are looking for reference to projects outside the subversion that have 
> not been complied.
> 
> >   b. If I can not find some dll's, is there a way to tell what code in the 
> > solution I should to use to compile (build) the dll (executable)?
> 
> Why bother? If this solution is one big solution of projects, then 
> compile the entire thing not the subversion or an individual project, 
> and it will work itself out.
> 
> >   C. Can you tell me how to compile the separate dll's and how to add the 
> > separate dll's into the solution?
> 
> Take note on everything I have told you prior to this point.
> 
> > 
> >  Your help has been one of the best I have ever seen for people! Thank you 
> > again very much!
> > 
> >  So you are saying each project has its own a projectname.csproj file? (I 
> > was assuming that the entire solution had only one csproj file.) 
> > 
> 
> A solution has a main .sln file that holds all of the project for the 
> entire solution, and you can tell it to compiler to use the .sln file 
> and do the compile of all projects in the .sln.
> 
> You can have a .sln file that has a subversion of projects and any 
> common projects (core projects) that the subversion of projects have 
> reference to outside of the subversion of projects.
> 
> Maybe, you need a contractor in there for a short time to help you 
> figure this out and what you need to do.
> 
> HTH and good luck to you.....
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/27/2010 6:57:07 PM
Wendy Elizabeth wrote:
> "Mr. Arnold" wrote:
> 
>   I want to mention the following:
> 
>   1. To compile the big solution for the first time, I need to compile the 
> code outside of the 'subversion' version control software? Basically, I would 
> need to get out all
> references to the 'subversion' source control for the first time?

Including the subversions and compile it all at onetime.

> 
>   You are probably right that I may need a contractor for a short period of 
> time to help me. 
> 

I would suggest that you go back to your boss and tell he or she that 
you need some hands on guidance from an experienced contractor that has 
worked with a large multiple projects solution.
0
Mr
6/27/2010 7:20:18 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

AfterUpdate Problem
I need to flash an "RE-ORDER ALERT" message after inventory level falls below re-order level. The message only flashes up when I move to a next record and back after a DoCmd.Save. I need the message to flash immediate after a Save. Note. The message is a flashing label on the form. Thank you. Perhaps you could code it to actually flash before DoCmd.Save is processed. Once you're into that code string, it will be run. Or, maybe consider a Message Box. I like this idea because it forces the user to interact with the reorder message. No one can say "I didn'...

Money+ Auto Download Problem
I erroneously posted this in MoneyCentral and was nicely told this is the correct forum for the post. Forgive the cross-post. I had been a Money 2007 user but had not kept it up-to-date. I got religion and decided to install Money Plus when prompted by the pop-up that a new version was available. I deleted my old accounts, installed Money Plus, created two new accounts (checking & credit), downloaded my checking and credit account from BOA without any problem. Next time I started Money+ the software was trying to download from a third BOA account, (not the checking & credit ...

Windows CE .net
I have a new MobilePro 900c (Windows CE .net) and when I try to run my existing application it says it is missing part of the application. I look for the mfc dll and it is not there. I try copying the mfcce30.dll from the ARM folder inWindows CE Tools and it still doesn't work. Any ideas or am I missing something really obvious. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. TIA, Will Singer "Will Singer" <will@pdmb.com> wrote in message news:<OSwjoletEHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>... > I have a new MobilePro 900c (Windows CE .net) and when I try to run my >...

How to build a project in Visual C++.net developed in Visual C++ 6
Hi, I am Nageshwar. I have developed a project in VC++ 6.0 and OpenGL. I have installed VC++.net in my system. When I compile and build the same code in VC++.net environment, I am getting errors. I have used fstream.h to read and write to files. But this header file is showing errors in VC++.net. I have used iostrea.h header. This is also showing erros. I think I need to use a different version of headers. Please suggest me how to recover from these errors. Which header file I have use instead of fstream.h header? etc., Thanks for all who help me.. Awaiting an early response, Nageshwar ...

C: Drive documents and setting expansion
Whenever I, Right Click Start then click "Explore", I get an expansion of the my user ID folders. Now, I rarely us "Documents and Settings" and would like to have it expand differently. What do I need to change so that can happen?? Thanks.. Bruce A. Julseth wrote: > Whenever I, Right Click Start then click "Explore", I get an > expansion of the my user ID folders. Now, I rarely us "Documents and > Settings" and would like to have it expand differently. > > What do I need to change so that can happen?? 1. You could ...

.NET Framework 1.1
I have Vista Home Basic. In the Control Panel\Programs and Features I find: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SPI Microsoft Corporation Under Publisher there is nothing in the fist. Is it OK? Should I redownload it? Also, do I need both of them? Also, in Control Panel\Windows Update\View Update History, I see that Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 has failed, and was not tried again. Should I download it manually? Thanks, emf -- It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/bd/itaintm...

Using XSL in VB.net
All I want to do is execute a simple transformation in VB.net.... I know this has to be simple. I tried the following as suggested by a web page I found.... Dim xslt as New XslTransform() xslt.Load("Filename") xslt.Transform("InFile", "ResultFile") This appears to be very straightforward to me. However, this causes an error saying the code is obsolete... (I thought the whole Framework version concept meant backwards compatability, but I guess not.) it further says "You should pass XmlResolver to Transform() method" Can anyone tell me how / where...

windows7 excel2007 problems
I cannot open more than 1 worksheet at a time. Aero shake and snap not working with Excel. Thank you. ...

TreeControl
I'm using Visual C++ and MFC in VS 2003 on a Win2000 system Built the application with VC++ 6.0 and was working fine. Migrated to VC++ 7.1. Works fine in debug mode. The problem? The application uses a CFormView with TabControl. On the first tab I have a TreeControl (CTreeCtrl) populated from a database. In debug mode, the tree populates fine, in release mode, only the very first root-level node populates the child items - subsequent root-level nodes will not show any child items. I have other tree controls on other tabs, populated nearly identically and they work fine in both deb...

In-place Activation problem??
Hi I writing an Active Document Server which is hosted by an Active Document Container. I need to change the ID_SRVR_INPLACE menu - just before it gets merged with the container applications menu. I have to read an xml file containing the menu-items - and then build the ID_SRVR_INPLACE menu - but I'm stock. No matter what I do the changes I make is not shown?? Anybody knows how to do this?? I have tried to: CMenu myMenu; myMenu.LoadMenu( ID_SRVR_INPLACE ); //and then do some changes Regards Morten Hi Morten, Thanks for posting in this group! Based on my understanding, you wan...

Create timeline for 2500 B.C. to 100 B.C.?
Visio only allows me to create timeline for after 1900 AD. Can I use Visio to create a timeline for 2500 BC to 100 BC? Visio's Divided timeline has exactly what I need except I can not enter BC as the start and end time. And Visio always require end time to be greater than the start time. Any suggestion on how I can do this in Visio? You're not going to be able to use the timeline because the code is linked to the system clock (only goes back to 1900). You'll have to use the vanilla shapes that come with visio. Al "Little Black Sheep" <Little Bl...

Moving and Selecting Multiple Objects in Word 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am new to Word 2008 and can't seem to be able to nudge objects or select multiple objects in a document. I am trying to make small movements to a selected object by holding the option key and then using the directional arrows----doesn't work. Also cannot select multiple objects by holding shift key. Do these functions need to be &quot;turned on&quot; somewhere? Maybe my old PC mind is giving me the wrong commands. Can anyone help? In article <59bb6613.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>, ...

intermittent error calling .NET web service
I'm getting an intermittent error when calling a .NET web service from a .NET console application. Both are using v.1.1.4322 of the framework. Any ideas on what could be causing this? It can fail and then a few seconds later can work fine. The exception is: <log4net:event logger="WRDataSyncApp" timestamp="2005-01-11T03:00:49.7336956-05:00" level="ERROR" thread="5808" domain="WRDataSyncApp.exe" username="CLT01IAWEB010N0\EquityAdmin"><log4net:message>Exception: System.InvalidOperationException Message: There is...

C++ : Is it lots harder than c# and VB
Hi everyone, I learned Java whilst at university and have taught myself c# and VB.net. I think I am ok at it. I was thinking, these languages will probably be bigger in the future so I better get ready for them. But then, I also realised that COM is still quite important and so is C++. So I thought I better just try and have a look at C++ and COM. And now I'm scared. So my question is - why does C++ look so much harder than c#? For example : 1. The methods all have really stupid names that are hard to descern a function from. 2. You need to think about pointers and cleaning up ...

M$ Money 2007 Automatic Software Update Problem...
I'm using MS Money 2007. Whenever I runs it, it says "To operate correctly,click 'ok' to let Money download the software update." But I click ok, it says "A software update is already in progress.Please try again when the update is complete." I never update successfully. Can I disable that useless software update???? Getting the same message but my update runs and says it has completed then prompts again every time I start Money 2007 Home & Business. I spent some considerable time on several Microsoft support chats with no solution. -- Eric Bennett ...

Problem w/email signature on scanned docs.
When we use our printer to scan a document to email, the email that comes up to send will not automatically add the signature that is set to go with mail from that user. Does anyone know if there is a setting I'm missing somewhere? We use Outlook 2003 and an HP LaserJet 3015 printer/scanner/fax. Thank you Pearl King "Pearl King" <paking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message news:e5tHJtuiJHA.956@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > When we use our printer to scan a document to email, the email that comes > up to send will not automatically add the signature that is set to go wi...

Visual C++ to read Strings from Serial Port
Hi. I'm doing a project using Visual C++ to read data from Serial Port. My program needs to do *something* when it receives specific data. For eg, if the program receives "Alarm 1 Zone 4", it will do something. The data received will be variable in length. My questions: 1) Any recommendations for the serial Comm Class for Visual C++? 2) How can i compare the data i receive from serial to the specific messages i'm looking for, eg data types, size of data types, limitations & etc.? Thanks. Any comments are highly appreciated. Leng As far as the serial part goes, it i...

Active Sync Problem
I have reset my pocket pc and cannot sync with my PC outlook files. How do I reset the partnership for the pocket device and the PC. The Wizard will only let me connect as a guest because the partneship is not set for the reset pocket. Thank You Mike1590 <Mike1590@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have reset my pocket pc and cannot sync with my PC outlook files. > How do I reset the partnership for the pocket device and the PC. The > Wizard will only let me connect as a guest because the partneship is > not set for the reset pocket. Thank You Delete the partnership ...

Net Worth Error
In Money 2007, I get an error when I try to look at my net worth. The error reads, "An error occurred, but Money is unable to retrieve and display details about what happend. (Resource = rcreport. Error = 2109.)" I ran the Standard File Repair but received a "No broken records in the original file." result. Any suggestions? Thank you. I had a similar problem with the monthly reports. Look at my post called "Troubleshooting method" that I wrote on 9/13/06, it might give you some ideas. Regards Bill Wood "T. J. Allard" <T. J. Allard@discu...

C#.net windows application
Since I am new to c#.net 2008 but I have worked a little with visual basic.net 2005, I have the following questions I would like to ask: 1. When I am looking at a .sln file that I will be maintaining a work, I can see there are lots of static void Main() methods in a file called program.cs throughout the solution in separate folderts. Can you tell me the purpose of this kind of code? Does this instantiate an object, is this a class libary member? 2. When running the C#.net 2008 professional version windows application, how do I know which 'main' method is being called? ...

Problems sharing a file
I'm running Excel 97 SR2 and Win98SE. When I share the workbook Excel wants to save the book. OK. It then notifies me that it contains macros & VB code ... OK. I then get an illegal operation message and it closes Excel without saving. When I open the file again, sharing is not enabled. Did I miss something? Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong? Oscar ...

OnActivateView problem
I have a class derived from CView, say CViewA. I have controls in a CDialogBar. when the view CViewA is activated I enable the button on the dialogbar and when it is deactivated I disable the buttons on the dialog bar. But i donot want the buttons to enable or disable when there is switch between same type of view. This is creating refreshing problem. First the CViewA, OnActivateView is called with bActivate equal to False, then the same function is called with bActivate equals to true. I used the following code to find which view is getting active:- CMainFrame *frame = (CMainFrame *)AfxGet...

problem with OFN_EXPLORER and lpfnHook
I want to modify (without subclassing) CFileDialog so that when user changes selected type, the extension is appended at the end of the filename. to achieve this, I've created a OFNHookProc function, which works well, but, when I select OK, in CFileDialog::DoModal there is ASSERT(pThreadState->m_pAlternateWndInit == NULL); which ASSERTs every time. in fact a few line above, there is : if (m_ofn.Flags & OFN_EXPLORER) pThreadState->m_pAlternateWndInit = this; what should I do to prevent this ? here is what I have done... I do not think its too dangerous.. You can find lit...

Error 130
Hope someone can point me in the right direction. OSX 10.63, MacOffice 2008 12.2.4 When I try to connect to the following news server ( that doesn't require a user name or password ) I get the following error when attempting to download the List of Newsgroups: "Too many connections in your class - Could not receive the Newsgroup List - ERROR 130 " Any pointers much appreciated. Using Msnews servers works fine. -- Welsh Gas Remove usual to reply direct. paulatwoodsforddotcodotuk On 4/27/10 10:49 PM, in article 59bb7979.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "We...

vbAdvance general dll problem
I want to create a plugin for an external application in VB6. To do this I create a regular dll, export the necessary functions and compile the dll. So far so good. The problem comes when I developed a second plugin (also in vb6 with vbAdvance) and try to load both in the external application. The first plugin is loaded fine, but the second fails with error 998 (ERROR_NOACCESS). I traced the problem to the code that starts the required vb stuff, in MRuntimeInit: ... pGetClass = GetProcAddress(hMod, "DllGetClassObject") If pGetClass Then CopyMemory pCall, InitDelegato...