Setup Project DirectoryInfo UNC permission issues

Good afternoon,

I have a Setup Project within a Visual Studio 2008 Solution, and within the
same Solution a DLL Assembly containing an Installer class.

The Setup Project incorporates the Primary Output of the DLL and uses the
Installer class for an "AfterInstall" Custom Action.

Here is a code snippet from the AfterInstall event of the DLL Installer
class:

' This is the target Path

Dim tarPath As String = Me.Context.Parameters.Item("TARDIR").ToString

tarPath = System.IO.Path.Combine(tarPath, "Data\Gbr.001")

' Get Source path

Dim sorPath As String = Me.Context.Parameters.Item("SORDIR").ToString

If Right(sorPath, 1) <> "\" Then sorPath += "\"

Dim sorExist As Boolean = False

Dim fls() As System.IO.FileInfo = Nothing

Try

'Dim x As String = Threading.Thread.CurrentPrincipal.Identity.Name.ToString

Dim dInfo As System.IO.DirectoryInfo = New System.IO.DirectoryInfo(sorPath)

fls = dInfo.GetFiles()

sorExist = True

Catch ex As Exception

sorExist = False

End Try

The dInfo DirectoryInfo class is constructed using a UNC path as the
argument, in this case of the format \\Servername\Share\Folder.  The UNC
path points to a remote server on the same LAN as my development PC.

I debug the project by right-clicking on the Setup project and choosing to
Install. When the MSI Setup Installer requests that I choose a debugger, I
choose my VS2008 IDE and I can hit a breakpoint immediately after dInfo has
been instantiated.

At this point, the situation is always the same: dInfo reports that "Access
is Denied" to the UNC path.

The UNC path is definitely good in the sense that I can browse to it; and
moreover, permissions have been configured such that EVERYONE has Full
Control of the Share, and Everyone has full control of the underlying NTFS
folders.

So taken at face value the issue would appear possibly to be that the
process does not have sufficient permission to access Network Resources from
the local PC? I have noticed that the Windows Installer Service runs under
the Local System Account, which presumably cannot access network resources.
Will I need to revise my strategy to avoid trying to access network
resources from an MSI Installer?

As a temporary workaround, I have tried modifying the Log On properties of
the Windows Service to utilise a Domain Admin account.  The service will
start okay using this logon. However, when I try to run the Install from the
IDE (i.e. start the debugging process) I get an error message that says,

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you
are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I would be grateful for any thoughts as to how I can progress; really at the
proverbial Road Block with this one

Best regards

0
Robert
12/3/2009 1:14:38 PM
dotnet.framework 137 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Intriguingly, I have resolved this problem by:-

(1) Building the full solution;
(2) Not launching the debug session from the IDE, but instead, browsing to
the Build directory, right-clicking on Setup.exe, choosing "Run As...",
specifying my own User Account, and unchecking the box that reads: "Protect
my computer ...activity."

Why exactly launching the MSI from the IDE would cause it to run within a
different security context is a question that, for me, remains, but can wait
for another day.

thanks

"Robert Ellis" <robe_2k5.n0sp8m@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
> from the local PC? I have noticed that the Windows Installer Service runs
> under the Local System Account, which presumably cannot access network
> resources. Will I need to revise my strategy to avoid trying to access
> network resources from an MSI Installer?
>

> As a temporary workaround, I have tried modifying the Log On properties of
> the Windows Service to utilise a Domain Admin account.  The service will
> start okay using this logon. However, when I try to run the Install from
> the IDE (i.e. start the debugging process) I get an error message that
> says,
>
> "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if
> you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
> correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."
>

> I would be grateful for any thoughts as to how I can progress; really at

0
Robert
12/3/2009 4:36:01 PM
If you launch the raw MSI as an administrator, VS-generated custom actions
run with the SYSTEM account. So yes, you typically won't have network access
privileges. This is connected to UAC. What OS is this?
--
Phil Wilson
The Definitive Guide to Windows Installer

> [...]
>> from the local PC? I have noticed that the Windows Installer Service runs
>> under the Local System Account, which presumably cannot access network
>> resources. Will I need to revise my strategy to avoid trying to access
>> network resources from an MSI Installer?
>>

>> As a temporary workaround, I have tried modifying the Log On properties
>> of the Windows Service to utilise a Domain Admin account.  The service
>> will start okay using this logon. However, when I try to run the Install
>> from the IDE (i.e. start the debugging process) I get an error message
>> that says,
>>
>> "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if
>> you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
>> correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."
>>

>> I would be grateful for any thoughts as to how I can progress; really at

0
Wilson
12/3/2009 6:47:22 PM
The O/S is Windows XP Professional SP3

"Wilson, Phil" <philw@wonderware.nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> from the local PC? I have noticed that the Windows Installer Service
>>> runs under the Local System Account, which presumably cannot access
>>> network resources. Will I need to revise my strategy to avoid trying to
>>> access network resources from an MSI Installer?
>>>

>>> As a temporary workaround, I have tried modifying the Log On properties
>>> of the Windows Service to utilise a Domain Admin account.  The service
>>> will start okay using this logon. However, when I try to run the Install
>>> from the IDE (i.e. start the debugging process) I get an error message
>>> that says,
>>>
>>> "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if
>>> you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
>>> correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."
>>>

>>> I would be grateful for any thoughts as to how I can progress; really at

0
Robert

The best Exchange setup in a small hosting setup
I need to set up at small hosting setup where the users can access their email through RPC-HTTPS and webmail. But what do I need? One ISA server? One front-end server? One back-end server? Some clustering or is it overkill? Best Regards Martin - You can do it with as little as a single Exchange server and a firewall. - In a single server environment, FE/BE topology doesn't really buy you much... - Clustering can be an overkill or not, depending on what your goals are. If high-availability is a valued goal, you could look at clustering (and the investments that go with a clustered ...

Page Setup
Hi, I have a problem with Excel XP in that when I preview a page which is in Landscape, it automatically displays as portrait. When I resize it, it goes back to landscape but then back to portarit again ! Any ideas ? Many thanks. Colin. If you change printer drivers, does it happen? If no, then I'd download a newer/fresh printer driver for that troublesome printer. Any chance you have some helpful macro jumping in to fix the page setup for you? If you open the workbook with macros disabled, does it still happen? Colin wrote: > > Hi, > > I have a problem with Excel X...

excel page setup
Hello, I have a spreadsheet and I am using cells a:k50, but when I go to see the end of my spreadsheet it tells me I have used cells a:ak 295. I have 35 sheets like this and is is making the file bigger than it has to be. I have tried deleting, clear, page preview setup but nothing seems to clear and make my page a1: k53. Any suggestions. Thank You Select the row following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow to select all rows beyond your data and Edit>Delete. Select the column following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow (US) to select all columns beyond your data...

Public Folder Issues
I am still in a mixed mode environment with Ex5.5 and Ek23. I used pfmigrate to replicate public folders from 5.5 to 2003 last week. Everything was fine until this morning. None of the users whose mail file is located on 2003 can see one of the public folders even though it does show in ESM. Users still on the 5.5 server see the folder just fine. The permissions on the folder is the same on both servers. Looking for ideas on what to look for given that the folder does appear in ESM but not for the Outlook clients pointing to 2003. All of the other public folders display properly....

Account setup is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using money '02. I have been getting this message for TWO WEEKS now. I set up three accounts with no problem, then this message over and over every day. I have tried starting a new account and I still get the same message. Surely MS's server has not been down this whole time, so I guess the problem is on my end. Please Help! In microsoft.public.money, lostmymirth wrote: >I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using >money '02. I have been getting this message for T...

User login failed on the customized VBA project after GP 10 upgrad
After GP 10 upgrade, I am getting the login failed error for all useers who tried on working on my customized Dynamics VBA project. Error # -2147217843: Login failed for user 'sa'. Procedure: frmDateEntry - cmdProcess_Click Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Thanks for help. Kevin Kevin, You might need to re look at your connection in VBA -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Kevin Zhou" wrote: > After GP 10 upgrade, I am getting the login failed error for all useers who > tried on working on my customized Dynamic...

Printing or formatting issue? #2
Dear all, Please bear with me on this one, I have posted something similar in th past and thought this issue had been resolved but hasn't!! In Finance we have staff who work on individual worksheets, these ar then sent to one person who collates them into one workbook; this is the sent to our Finance MD and PA. The person who sends the workbook can print all sheets out fine on his HP5000n (A4 and A3), however the Finance P (HP4050) and the MD (HPxxx) cannot, they complain that the formatting is al "off". I can confirm that all these users and those who originally create the wor...

[ANN] The Entourage Help Blog: "Updated Exchange setup script supports Entourage 2008"
I've posted version 2.0 of my EntourageExchangeSetup AppleScript on The Entourage Help Page that includes support for Microsoft Entourage 2008's Kerberos feature as well as some minor additions and bug fixes. This AppleScript is intended to be modified by an administrator to assist his Entourage users with the setups of their Exchange server accounts. It has been tested specifically with Entourage 2004 11.2.6, 11.3.3, 11.3.7 and Entourage 12.00, 12.0.1 and 12.1.0 but should work with any version of Entourage 2004 SP2 (11.2.0) and higher. Every company's network is different...

SETUP
HOW DO I SET IT UP. Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-setting-up-an-account-from-start-to-finish -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "home" <phillipsjamest@att.net> wrote in message news:u1ikLZSALHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > HOW DO I SET IT UP. "home" <phillipsjamest@att.net> wrote in message news:u1ikLZSALHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > HOW DO I SET IT UP. Start here and look for mail settings. ht...

Insufficient Permissions Promoting Email In CRM 3.0
I have one CRM user who no longer has the ability to promote an email. The user receives the following message: "An error occurred promoting this item to Microsoft CRM. The Microsoft CRM server could not be contacted or the user has insufficient permissions to perform this action. Do you want to send the email? If you click yes the email will be sent out, but no corresponding activity will be created in Microsoft CRM". We are current in our rollups, but that does not seem to have made any difference. This user had been able to promote items up until recently and the...

Anonymous Access setup
I have a request to turn on anonymous access (MOSS 2007). We only have one Site collection and it’s an Intranet that uses Authentication Type; Windows and Integrated Windows Authentication. It seems straight forward first Enable IIS Anonymous Authentication, second Enable anonymous access for the Web Application needed, turn on anonymous access for list or site. Question: If I turn on anonymous access without enabling it on any sites or lists will my users notice anything different? I assume they will not notice anything. Next question; if I enable anonymous authentication on...

Payroll Posting Account Setup Window
We have customized the Payroll Posting Account Setup Window for a product of ours. We have received several complaints about the Payroll Posting account window changing the Account number if part of a record in the scrolling window has been modified. We turned off the customization so we were working with the core window and not the customized window and we were able to duplicate the error. The new account is being saved in the table, which is causing a tremendous problems. Here are the steps to recreate this issue. 1. modifiy any record -for instance the code field of any record an...

Download issue
I have download the Microsoft Purchase Order template for Word. It has an extesion of .cab. Word does not read it. I get garbage. Anyone know why the issue? Thanks ...

GP 9.0 Performance Issues
We have had a particular user report some performance issues in Great Plains 9.0. I'm not very familiar with Great Plains at all, so I thought I'd see if anyone here could help me out. The user's main concern is that upon launching Great Plains, it takes anywhere from one to two minutes just to display the login dialog. This slowness only happens with GP, and only when this particular user is logged in to the term server. Server resources remain steady, CPU and memory usage appear fine throughout. The actual account that we log into GP with doesn't seem to matter, only that t...

Timesheet approval strange behaviour-Project Server 2007
Dear all, We are using Project Server 2007 Timesheet Module for a Functional Organization. Organization has various Teams. For every Team there is a Team Leader. Team Leaders report to Functional Managers and all Functional Managers report to a Director. All Team Members, Team Leaders and Managers register their Actual Time using Timesheet module. We are using "Fixed Approval" as follows: Team Member A has the Team Leader A of his/her Team as Timesheet Manager. Team Leader A has the Functional Manager A as Timesheet Manager. Functional Manager A Timesheet Appro...

Profile Setup
When I enter the server name and mailbox name when setting up an Outlook 2003 profile, how does it lookup the name? It seems I can put any name in the server area as long as I have a valid mailbox name. I used a made up server name and it still resolved the mailbox. Thanks, Outlook 2003 uses the Global Catalog servers in an AD environment. (Exchange 200x refers Outlook 2000/2003 to the GCs.) Outside of that, I didn't think what you just did was possible since a new profile (o/s and outlook) shouldn't have a reference to a GC until checking in with Exchange. Guess Outlook ...

formula issues
I could not get the formula =INDEX(A1:C1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("probe",A1:C1)),0) to work. In my program will have one or two words per cell in the look up area example A1 = Ford Probe B1 = Ford Escort C1 VW Bug D1 = Geo. What I would like to happen is A4 to = whats in B4 so if i hade Probe in B4 Then A4 = Ford Probe, Or if B4 = VW then A4 = Vw Bug or if B4 = Geo then A4 = Geo. Sorry, I'm missing something.... why not just have in A4 cell '=B4' ??? >-----Original Message----- >I could not get the formula =INDEX(A1:C1,MATCH (TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("pr...

Money 2003
I thought I had resolved this issue previously, but it appears not. I had Money 2005 Small Business installed on a laptop that died. It had been upgraded, full install, from a Money 2003 Deluxe & Business version. I parked my data files on a mapped drive on another computer . . .previously I had XP professional on my laptop. Now I'm running XP Home. Upon reinstalling the software I get prompted for a password. When I enter what I know to be correct (because I'd written said password down), the file does not open. Neither trying the password nor checking the "I do not ...

Smartlist Purchasing Group Decimal Issue/Design?
Hello, We have found that any "Originiating" amount searched via the Purchasing Group Smartlist (v10.0) comes back as a whole number, there are no decimal places. Therefore we are seeing the dollar amounts but not the cents. This has created issues with some of our standard reporting. Is there some sort of setting that I am missing that would pull the complete amount? Any information is greatly apprecaited. -- Jessie Looks like a bug in SmartList Jessie. Behavior is the same in GP2010. Do you have SmartList Builder? You might want to replicate the SmartL...

setup.exe /removeorg
Hi, I uninstalled exchange 2003 using the add/remove programs. Then a reboot and a few hours to replicate. Then ran setup.exe /removeorg. I noticed that there was still objects leftover from exchange 2003 in AD, such as: Exchange Groups,Exchange settings in sites and services, distribution groups and disabled users. What exactly does the removeorg remove other that exchange 2003 organization? How do I clean the rest of the mess up? thx jason Hi Jason, You may want to view the following KB: 830185 The REMOVEORG option in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/?id=830185 ...

Report setup 01-12-08
I have a db that the client wants me to prepare a report of transactions, from the transaction table, in the following format: (TT = transaction types) (Each lot may have none or many transactions of each type) TT1 TT2 TT3 TT4 lota 0 10 8 2 lotb 5 0 0 1 lotc 1 5 0 0 "" etc. I am able to create a report that has the lots listed sequentially, then the details of the lot transactions, but not in the above format. Any ideas? Damon Create a new report using the wizard. When it asks you for grouping options, se...

Money 2007 online issues?
I recently installed money 2007. I previously owned the 2004 version. I am trying to set up my online banking accounts thru USAA. When I go to do this, and try to chose my bank, in red text, it says "list is temporarily unavailable". When I try and just do updates, it will not let me. Also, when I try to sign in, it says that my windows live accoutn can not be verified, please go online and try again. So i'm getting the impression that money 2007 is somehow not connected to the internet. I have verizon FIOS so I know I am connected. Also, i noticed that everytime I try to ...

how to resovle MS project 2007 - CICONotCheckedOut
how to resovle MS project 2007 - CICONotCheckedOut - Failed But Not Blocking Correlation - Project Checkin issueQuestion: I have googled around for this perticular one no one has fix for this, i tried removing my project professional sp2 on client and applying sp1 with april CU but still same issue, i deleted the proejct recreated same... also i have full configured in house mail server, when i assign a resource and commit him for job he dont get email notification nor does that show in hi my tasks on PWA. what can i do to resovle the issue. for screen shot click here - http...

Page Setup
Is it possible to have portrait and landscape pages within the same Visio file? Every time I change the layout for one page it changes them all. I am runing Visio 2000 under NT4. Thanks, Andy Yes. IIR UML diagrams don't like doing this but otherwise it's easy. When you insert a new page the Page Setup dialog will come up. Select the Page Size tab, custom size option button, then select page orientation. "Andy Saltiel" <Andy.Saltiel@atosorigin.com> wrote in message news:09b301c35ceb$7c95d510$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to have portrait and landscape...

Hide Global.xls (personal.xls) in project explorer
How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want my normal project there. Helge You can't hide it, but you could give it a password: Select your project Tools|VBAProject|Protection tab Give it a memorable password At least the project won't be too intrusive. nankerp wrote: > > How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want > my normal project there. > > Helge -- Dave Peterson ...