Next "available" File/Folder Name,...

Hi,

i am looking for some API that will give me the next
available file/folder name if the file/folder aleady
exists. Example: you have a file named "New Text.txt",
o the operating system suggests here "New Text(1).txt"
if you create a new file within the shell. Is there any API
that could give me the next available name for a file if
i provide a filename as input? I guess its some shell interface
or function, but i could not find anything so far,...

Thanks in advance,...

Regards

Kerem

--
 -----------------------
Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue

0
iso
1/27/2010 9:00:54 AM
dotnet.framework 137 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 27/01/2010 in message <uogn98ynKHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> Kerem
G�mr�kc� wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i am looking for some API that will give me the next
>available file/folder name if the file/folder aleady
>exists. Example: you have a file named "New Text.txt",
>o the operating system suggests here "New Text(1).txt"
>if you create a new file within the shell. Is there any API
>that could give me the next available name for a file if
>i provide a filename as input? I guess its some shell interface
>or function, but i could not find anything so far,...

I use the following for files:

internal static string GetUniqueFilePath(string filePathIN)
{
	int count = 1;
	string result = filePathIN;

	FileInfo fInfo = new FileInfo(result);
	if (fInfo.Exists)
	{
		do
		{
			result = filePathIN + "." + count.ToString("0000");
			count++;
			fInfo = new FileInfo(result);
		}
		while (fInfo.Exists);
	}
	return result;
}

It adds the number at the end so you would need to tweak it a bit to put
the number in a different place.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

On 1/27/2010 10:00 AM, Kerem G�mr�kc� wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am looking for some API that will give me the next
> available file/folder name if the file/folder aleady
> exists. Example: you have a file named "New Text.txt",
> o the operating system suggests here "New Text(1).txt"
> if you create a new file within the shell. Is there any API
> that could give me the next available name for a file if
> i provide a filename as input? I guess its some shell interface
> or function, but i could not find anything so far,...

Even if there is such a thing, what value would it give to you? Once you
had that "next available file/folder name" and just before you can
create it, your program can be preempted and someone else can calculate
this file/folder and create it, so what value will your prior call to
this imaginary function have?. Having a function that does this as an
API is subject to race conditions, so it is per se useless, unless
tightly coupled with a file/foldeer creation call. The only sure thing
is a function that tries to *create* the next possible file/folder.

You mentioned PathMakeUniqueName, I never used that, does it only
"suggest" the file name or does it create the file as well? If it
doesn't create the file name, you will have to use that in a loop until
a combination of the result of both PathMakeUniqueName and CreateFile
succeed. BTW: MSDN online says that PathMakeUniqueName is suppported on
W2K as well.

Stefan
1/27/2010 3:35:44 PM
Hi Stefan,

> Even if there is such a thing, what value would it give to you? Once you
> had that "next available file/folder name" and just before you can create
> it, your program can be preempted and someone else can calculate this
> file/folder and create it, so what value will your prior call to this
> imaginary function have?. Having a function that does this as an API is
> subject to race conditions, so it is per se useless, unless tightly
> coupled with a file/foldeer creation call. The only sure thing is a
> function that tries to *create* the next possible file/folder.

Yes, you are right on that. But it is quite sure that there will be no
race condition/deadlock, because the access to the folder is only restricted
a special process that only runs single instance, system and sessionwide
in a special account and the folder (where the subfolders/files) will be
created) has special NTFS restrictions only for the process user context.

> You mentioned PathMakeUniqueName, I never used that, does it only
> "suggest" the file name or does it create the file as well?

AFAIK (i didnt check it and will use it!) it only suggest the file name,
like
many shell and helper functions do with strings and URLs/Paths.

> doesn't create the file name, you will have to use that in a loop until a
> combination of the result of both PathMakeUniqueName and CreateFile
> succeed.

I implemented my own version that does a for-loop on the names until it gets
a "available" name, then it does its job.

> BTW: MSDN online says that PathMakeUniqueName is suppported on W2K as
> well.

I am always very cautious on functions i never used or know, so i always
check
first whether there is a (implemented) export of the function on the named
library
and this time i was right on checking it, because my up2date W2k system does
NOT have such a export in the library! Yes, MSDN says that, but in fact it
seems to
be wrong since i do have a shell32.dll (5.00.3900.7155) on my W2k and it
does
NOT export that function at least it has no named export! But MSDN says:

Minimum DLL Version shell32.dll version 5.0 or later
Custom Implementation No
Header shlobj.h
Import library shell32.lib
Minimum operating systems Windows 2000

Thats simply wrong!

And what export name is that "PathYetAnotherMakeUniqueName", available
since >=XP  *g*

Regards

K.

--
 -----------------------
Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue
Kerem G�mr�kc�
Latest Project: http://www.pro-it-education.de/software/deviceremover
Latest Open-Source Projects: http://entwicklung.junetz.de
-----------------------

0
iso
1/27/2010 4:25:05 PM
Kerem G�mr�kc� wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
>> Even if there is such a thing, what value would it give to you? Once
>> you had that "next available file/folder name" and just before you can
>> create it, your program can be preempted and someone else can
>> calculate this file/folder and create it, so what value will your
>> prior call to this imaginary function have?. Having a function that
>> does this as an API is subject to race conditions, so it is per se
>> useless, unless tightly coupled with a file/foldeer creation call. The
>> only sure thing is a function that tries to *create* the next possible
>> file/folder.
>
> Yes, you are right on that. But it is quite sure that there will be no
> race condition/deadlock, because the access to the folder is only
> restricted to
> a special process that only runs single instance, system and sessionwide
> in a special account and the folder (where the subfolders/files) will be
> created) has special NTFS restrictions only for the process user context.

Stefan's suggestion still applies.  However, where (count) do you
begin?   If its a single process/thread, you might as well use a
FindFirstFile()/FindNextFile() to get the highest count using a "New
File*.txt" specification, then +1 for the new file.  If the applet is
24x7, then you can get that high count at startup.

Off hand:

int GetNextCount()
{
    const char *pszSpec = "new file(*).txt";
    int nHigh = 0;
    WIN32_FIND_DATA fd;
    HANDLE ff = FindFirstFile(pszSpec, &fd);
    if (ff != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
       do {
          int n = atoi(fd.cFileName+9);
          if (n > nHigh) nHigh = n;
       } while(FindNextFile(ff,&fd));
       FindClose(ff);
    }
    return nHigh+1;
}

Usage:

   CString nfn;
   nfn.Format("New File(%d)",GetNextCount())

Fine tune this to your specific paths/names.  But has Stefan
highlighted, if you going to be having multiple access points,
threads, processes, etc, then doing a exclusive file open with
CreateFile() will work (after getting the highest count), then use a
loop to increment again if the file was created after the
findfirst/next search.

--
HLS
0

"Kerem G�mr�kc�" <kareem114@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> does
> NOT have such a export in the library! Yes, MSDN says that, but in fact it
> seems to
> be wrong since i do have a shell32.dll (5.00.3900.7155) on my W2k and it
> does
> NOT export that function at least it has no named export! But MSDN says:
>
> Minimum DLL Version shell32.dll version 5.0 or later
> Custom Implementation No
> Header shlobj.h
> Import library shell32.lib
> Minimum operating systems Windows 2000
>
> Thats simply wrong!
>
> And what export name is that "PathYetAnotherMakeUniqueName", available
> since >=XP  *g*
>
> Regards
>
> K.
>

> --
> -----------------------
> Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue

0
Alexander
1/28/2010 2:56:24 AM
Non, its shell32.dll, check exports. At first i was
expecting it in the helper library too,..

--
 -----------------------

"Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]
>> does
>> NOT have such a export in the library! Yes, MSDN says that, but in fact
>> it seems to
>> be wrong since i do have a shell32.dll (5.00.3900.7155) on my W2k and it
>> does
>> NOT export that function at least it has no named export! But MSDN says:
>>
>> Minimum DLL Version shell32.dll version 5.0 or later
>> Custom Implementation No
>> Header shlobj.h
>> Import library shell32.lib
>> Minimum operating systems Windows 2000
>>
>> Thats simply wrong!
>>
>> And what export name is that "PathYetAnotherMakeUniqueName", available
>> since >=XP  *g*
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> K.
>>

>> --
>> -----------------------
>> Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue

0
Windows
1/28/2010 8:38:31 AM
I remember that shell32.dll was replaced with IE update. Maybe the function
is only present after one such update.

> Non, its shell32.dll, check exports. At first i was
> expecting it in the helper library too,..
>
> --
> -----------------------
> Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue
> Kerem G�mr�kc�
> Latest Project: http://www.pro-it-education.de/software/deviceremover
> Latest Open-Source Projects: http://entwicklung.junetz.de
> -----------------------
>
> "Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> isn't that shlwapi.dll?
>>
>> "Kerem G�mr�kc�" <kareem114@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Stefan,

>>> Yes, you are right on that. But it is quite sure that there will be no
>>> race condition/deadlock, because the access to the folder is only
>>> restricted to
>>> a special process that only runs single instance, system and sessionwide
>>> in a special account and the folder (where the subfolders/files) will be
>>> created) has special NTFS restrictions only for the process user
>>> context.

>>> AFAIK (i didnt check it and will use it!) it only suggest the file name,
>>> like
>>> many shell and helper functions do with strings and URLs/Paths.

>>> I implemented my own version that does a for-loop on the names until it
>>> gets
>>> a "available" name, then it does its job.

>>> I am always very cautious on functions i never used or know, so i always
>>> check
>>> first whether there is a (implemented) export of the function on the
>>> named library
>>> and this time i was right on checking it, because my up2date W2k system
>>> does
>>> NOT have such a export in the library! Yes, MSDN says that, but in fact
>>> it seems to
>>> be wrong since i do have a shell32.dll (5.00.3900.7155) on my W2k and it
>>> does
>>> NOT export that function at least it has no named export! But MSDN says:
>>>
>>> Minimum DLL Version shell32.dll version 5.0 or later
>>> Custom Implementation No
>>> Header shlobj.h
>>> Import library shell32.lib
>>> Minimum operating systems Windows 2000
>>>
>>> Thats simply wrong!
>>>
>>> And what export name is that "PathYetAnotherMakeUniqueName", available
>>> since >=XP  *g*
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> K.
>>>

>>> --
>>> -----------------------
>>> Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue
>>> Kerem G�mr�kc�
>>> Latest Project: http://www.pro-it-education.de/software/deviceremover
>>> Latest Open-Source Projects: http://entwicklung.junetz.de
>>> -----------------------

0
Alexander
1/28/2010 3:30:15 PM
On Jan 27, 4:25=A0pm, Kerem G=FCmr=FCkc=FC <kareem...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > BTW: MSDN online says that PathMakeUniqueName is suppported on W2K as
> > well.
>
> I am always very cautious on functions i never used or know, so i always
> check
> first whether there is a (implemented) export of the function on the name=
> library
> and this time i was right on checking it, because my up2date W2k system d=
oes
> NOT have such a export in the library! Yes, MSDN says that, but in fact i=
> seems to
> be wrong since i do have a shell32.dll (5.00.3900.7155) on my W2k and it
> does
> NOT export that function at least it has no named export! But MSDN says:
>
> Minimum DLL Version shell32.dll version 5.0 or later
> Custom Implementation No
> Header shlobj.h
> Import library shell32.lib
> Minimum operating systems Windows 2000
>
> Thats simply wrong!
>
> And what export name is that "PathYetAnotherMakeUniqueName", available
> since >=3DXP =A0*g*

Ah - they're exported by ordinal not by name.
PathMakeUniqueName is ordinal #47 in shell32.dll on W2K

Regards,
Roger.
0
rogero

can't open this item
Another problem - the original problem seemed to be the Internet Security Suite I had installed. All the problems went away after I uninstalled the suite but that left me vulnerable to virus attacks. So, I installed the AVG free program and now, I'm unable (once again) to open most of my messages. I had already uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Office suite of programs but now I'm stumped. Anyone???? Nadyne Nelson <nadyne@prospectiveplanning.com> wrote: > Another problem - the original problem seemed to be the Internet > Security Suite I had installed. Al...

The folders specified are not available.
In Outlook 2003, when I right on an email and select the item to find all messages from the sender, I get the following response: "Outlook cannot perform your search. Outlook cannot display this view. The folders specified are not available." I have performed the run of outlook from the Run menu with the switch (outlook /cleanfinders ). It did not fix the problem. Does anyone have a solution? Dick ...

Making Design Gallery Objects available to other files in publishe
Hello, I created some custom objects and saved them to the Design Gallery, and they did appear under My Objects. However, I saved the file and opened up a new one and to my shock My Objects was empty. I opened the earlier file where I created and saved the objects and they were still there. Does this mean that the Design Gallery if file-specific and not saved in a Publisher Application file for use in other .pub files? Perhaps that is the default setting that can be changed later. Please help me on this matter. Thank you in advance for your support. Alcide <Alcide@discussions.micr...

Money 2005
I recently upgraded from Money 2000 to 2005 and all seemed to go OK. However, the majority of my Favourite Reports are Bar Charts. In Money 2005, the only option that is not grayed out is the View as Report radio button and I cannot get access to the View as Bar radio button. I have tried a Quick and Standard Repair and also have Advanced Reports switched on. Can anyone shed any light? OK I finally solved the problem by trial and error, plus a lot of wasted time. I choose the Income and Spending Over Time report. This allowed me to 'Change View' to a Bar Chart. From there I ...

Any cost estimating templates for contractors available?

Receipt not available.
One of our registers lost its hard drive recently and was rebuilt from scratch, in RMS-MAnager, the old register called POS 2 was deleted and the new one then named POS 2 ' Now we have noticed that when looking through a customers purchase history, if we double click the transaction number, the journal comes up with a screen that says "No Receipt to display " on some transactions. I have checked and we are certain that receipts were created and printed out. These transactions are relatively recent, and the purchase history is still there, we just can't see the recei...

An unofficial FAQ for this newsgroup is available at http://umpmfaq.info. The source FAQ was last updated Thursday, December 23, 2004. You may save yourself and those willing to spend their time helping you both time and hassle by consulting this resource before posting what may already be a FAQ. The unofficial FAQ answers 161 of the most frequently asked questions in this newsgroup. Note that only a limited number of FAQ items have been added or modified for Money 2005--those that are derive from my limited experience with the product and on very high profile items in the newsgroup. If you ar...

Exchange 2003
Howdy: We ahve recently migrated from an existing WinNT4/Exchange 5.5 Installation to a new Win2k3/Exchange 2003 mixed mode installation. All went well with the first server install but I am having problems installing the second and getting it to accept mail probably due to the reasonably complex computing environment. In short: All external mail is first handled via one of six UNIX servesr which does a look up and forwards the mail to the appropriate server in the format user@server.domain.com. This worked well enough with a single server, for the average Exchange customer the UNIX would...

The only available task I have in the Exchange Task Wizard is.....
The only available task I have in the Exchange Task Wizard is Enabling/Disabling Instant Message...all others are missing. I need the "Create Mailbox" task...is there a way to add tasks? Is there another way to add a mailbox to an existing user account? I can create new accounts and the other options appear on the task list. Thanks, Aquiles On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:05:34 -0700, "Aquiles" <Aquiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The only available task I have in the Exchange Task Wizard >is Enabling/Disabling Instant Message...all others are >missing. I ...

vacation available not calculating
I have an employee setup with set hours of vacation accrual per pay period. This accrual is setup using payroll. The accrual calculates fine. The employee is setup as a hourly employee, the problem is when I pay the employee vacation time the vacation available does not subtract the hours. The vacation time is setup correctly as vacation type based on hourly. I know it recognizes it as a vacation type, because if try to pay more vacation hours then available I do get a message that available hours are not being sufficient. I am not sure why the available balance is not reduced by the amo...

Excel Journal Not Available Anymore
I have Office 97. I use the journal option in Outlook all the time for Word, Excel and Access. They all recorded for a while, now all of a sudden Excel is no longer available. ...

Not enough storage is available to process this command.
Hi, I am getting this error message at the time of debuging means GetlastError() returns 8. I m going to create new imagelist. here is my code snippet......... HIMAGELIST hList = ImageList_Create(32,32, ILC_COLOR8 , 0, 0); int j = GetLastError(); here value of j is 8. Plz tell me what should i do. Nadan nandan.mehra@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > > I am getting this error message at the time of debuging means > GetlastError() returns 8. > I m going to create new imagelist. here is my code snippet......... > > HIMAGELIST hList = ImageList_Create...

Where is AutoText feature that was available in 2006 under View-T.
What happened to the AutoText feature in the new 2007? I cant find it even by using F1. It was previously available under View - Toolbars - AutoText. This would bring a AutoText toolbar so which had Saluatations, etc and under "Normal" it would save whatever you save by saying "New". Please help! It is a big deal for me! Use Quick Parts. In the Insert Ribbon on the Text chunk. -- Bill R MVP "AutoText Feature in 2007?" <AutoText Feature in 2007?@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78D681A8-D8C4-4535-BDEF-C28A460C6426@microsoft.com... &g...

Excel cannot complete this task with available resources (Excel 20
I am working on a spreadsheet which uses gets information from an external excel file. Initially I was using VLOOKUP, which I have since changed to INDEX(MATCH)). Either way I get the same problem, which is the error message in the subject. The External excel file is approx 17k rows long and 4 colums the data in the external file is sourced from an ODBC connection which is set to update only when the file is opened. There are approx. 30 lookups to do against this external file. I have another external file which is static and only 100 rows and 3 colums and the INDEX(MATCH()) is wor...

Validation dropdown list is not available
Hi, I have XP and 2003. Here's my problem: I vae defined to one column validation. As I select one of the cells, the dropdown list does not come available as usually. I have had once before the same, but I cannot remember how it can be resolved. I have tried to make correction with another file. Creating column with needed validation and it works perfectly. As I copy trhe column to original file - again same problem - validation dropdown list (the arrow) is not visible. I I recall correctly, there is some kind of list function that needs to be replaced, but cannot remem...

Rules wizard not available
When I try to select the Rules Wizard I get a popup that states "The command is not available. See the program documentation about how to use this extension." Where do I find the program documentation and what am I looking for? ...

"Send and Save" feature available in outlook?
Is there a way to emulate in Outlook the "send and save" feature of Lotus other than using the Options --> Browse in a new message or creating a rule? No. There is also the option to save sent items in the folder when the original is not in the sent folder. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Joi...

Order Products Entity should be available in Advanced Find
We have a client that wants to see the total quantity on order for specific products. We discovered that through Advanced Find Order Products is not an available entity to build a search. We can search on Orders and then use related Order Products but the result set in this scenario will not include line item detail necessary to meet the business requirement. If we could search on Order Products meeting the business requirement becomes a no brainer. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for th...

Make a macro created in VBE available in all workbooks
How and where do I save an Excel 2007 macro to make it available in all workbooks? You can save it in your personal.xls workbook. If you do not have one, just record a simple macro and specify that it is to be recorded in personal.xls Robert Flanagan http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel "Robert" <instructor@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:F7170955-DCDA-48EC-BD81-BA1B33FD28A7@microsoft.com... > How and where do I save an Excel 2007 macro to make it available in all > workbooks? Thanks Robert, Macro works...

Finding the next available cell
Hi Say in Sheet1, there's data from row1 to row200. Is it possible t write a code that searches Sheet1 and identify Row 201 as the nex available cell hence pasting the new data starting from there...? Cheer -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Range("A1").Copy Range("Sheet1!A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) Rgds, Andy Try something like Dim NextOpenCell As Range Set NextOpenCell = Cells(Rows.Count,"A").End(xlUp)(2,1) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "hce >"...

No Reports Available
I installed CRM with no errors and by the book. When I try to view the existing reports within CRM, there is none listed. I am logged in as the admin. Any ideas do the other users have reports? did you assign a license to the admin user? rgds leo "KMD" <davemackinnon@msn.com> wrote in message news:1ef901c372ff$fa544700$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I installed CRM with no errors and by the book. When I > try to view the existing reports within CRM, there is > none listed. I am logged in as the admin. Any ideas ...

Workflow email action not available for campaign response
I am trying to create workflow to notify an owner when a Campaign Response is created (or assigned). When trying to specify the workflow rule actions, email isn't available from the menu. ...

No Account records are available in this view when I go offline
When i'm online i see all my accounts, i do an sync, no errors. When i'm trying to get my info in accounts or other i get : No Account records are available in this view when i go offline. I have installed all the patch and my registry value is good. I use Xp sp2 and I'm a admin on the server and on my laptop and i'm also a crm user. hmm try the sync again go online again then go into the mscrm registry on the client computer with the sfo client and do this 1) remove regvalues UserReplicationId and LastSyncDate 2) Set regvalue RCOffline = 0 3) Restart Outlook and try GoO...

My new book is available
http://www.iil.com/iil_shortdescr.asp?sku=PT248 Congratulations, Bob! ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Bob Umlas" <Excel_Trickster@msn.com> wrote in message news:uS5sYwJtFHA.664@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > http://www.iil.com/iil_shortdescr.asp?sku=PT248 > > Bob Umlas wrote... >http://www.iil.com/iil_shortdescr.asp?sku=PT248 So unsollicited commerical postings are OK when it's MPVs who are sending them? I'm NOT an MPV! MVP, yes, but not MPV! Hey! I'm excited! Excuuuuse me! :-) "Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote...

Is there a 2005 Excel Calendar Available?
I went to http://office.microsoft.com/templates/category.aspx? CategoryID=CT061993171033&CTT=6&Origin=EC010963431033 and have already used the 2004 Excel template but when I clicked on 2005 there were no Excel templates. Does anyone have a place where I can get next years or is there a way to manipulate the 2004 to create 2005 month tabs? Thanks in advance. Feel free to email me at mdking001@msn.com if you have a template or would prefer not to post here. try http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT011371131033.aspx -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com &q...