WPF and XBAP

I red http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970060.aspx to learn WPF.

I have some questions below.

1) Can I create a new project using WPF application template instead of WPF
Browser Application    (once done, convert to XBAP)?
2) If I have to use WPF Browser Application template, can I use all winform
controls?
3) If I have to use WPF Browser Application template, can I use ASP.NET
controls?

aspfun

"aspfun via DotNetMonster.com" <u53138@uwe> wrote in

> 1) Can I create a new project using WPF application template instead
> of WPF Browser Application    (once done, convert to XBAP)?

Yes, but you will have to dink a bit, as the tooling does not help much
here. I see a future when this is more helpful as Silverlight 4.0
promises to be more WPF like. But Silverlight is not really XBAP.

I am not sure I would personally go the XBAP route, however, as it is
not really supported with all the emphasis on Silverlight. I know some
MS blogs suggest otherwise, but I have not seen the promises come to
fruition, so I would venture, barring new information, that XBAP is not
going to be heavily supported as long as the focus is on Silverlight.

> 2) If I have to use WPF Browser Application template, can I use all
> winform controls?
> 3) If I have to use WPF Browser Application template, can I use
> ASP.NET controls?

The answer to both questions is essentially no, as you are dealing with
XAML for UI and not traditional controls. I say this with a bit of a
caveat as there are ways of mixing technologies.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

|      Think outside the box!             |
Gregory
1/11/2010 4:09:40 PM
Gregory A. Beamer wrote:
>> 1) Can I create a new project using WPF application template instead
>> of WPF Browser Application    (once done, convert to XBAP)?
>
>Yes, but you will have to dink a bit, as the tooling does not help much
>here. I see a future when this is more helpful as Silverlight 4.0
>promises to be more WPF like. But Silverlight is not really XBAP.
>
>I am not sure I would personally go the XBAP route, however, as it is
>not really supported with all the emphasis on Silverlight. I know some
>MS blogs suggest otherwise, but I have not seen the promises come to
>fruition, so I would venture, barring new information, that XBAP is not
>going to be heavily supported as long as the focus is on Silverlight.
>
>> 2) If I have to use WPF Browser Application template, can I use all
>> winform controls?
>> 3) If I have to use WPF Browser Application template, can I use
>> ASP.NET controls?
>
>The answer to both questions is essentially no, as you are dealing with
>XAML for UI and not traditional controls. I say this with a bit of a
>caveat as there are ways of mixing technologies.
>
>Peace and Grace,
>
>|      Think outside the box!             |

Thank you for help.
The reason I like web program is there is no need of installation.
Our company has about 300 PCs using my application.
It is hard to update if new version need to be installed into each PC.
Does WPF have a feature to determine version from server?
That is:
1)	If it is new version and then install and run it;
2)	If version is the same as before and then just run it.

aspfun
1/12/2010 2:00:40 PM
Hello,

You may want to try :
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa969776.aspx (deploying a WPF
application)
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee658088.aspx (Presentation
Technology Matrix)

--
Patrice

0
Patrice

WPF and XBAP
I red http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970060.aspx to learn WPF. I have some questions below. 1) Can I create a new project using WPF application template instead of WPF Browser Application (once done, convert to XBAP)? 2) If I have to use WPF Browser Application template, can I use all winform controls? 3) If I have to use WPF Browser Application template, can I use ASP.NET controls? -- Message posted via DotNetMonster.com http://www.dotnetmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/asp-net/201001/1 "aspfun via DotNetMonster.com" <u53138@uwe> wrote in news:a...

WPF Textbox won't wrap
As in the subject. I create a simple textbox and set the TextWrapping="Wrap". No wouldn't one expect wrapping for the text? Goggling does not bring much help and as an aside the searching for WPF and textbox is getting much more difficult because websites now want to have as many keywords as possible so every search for "textbox wpf wrap" brings windows controls pages. Nope. Why is everything in WPF so difficult? The number of lines of code I have written to make controls act similarly to windows controls is ridiculous. Thanks LS On 2010-0...

insert WPF user control in ppt slide
Any way to insert WPF user control in ppt slide? Thanks, Vatia ...

Win Forms, WPF and Silverlight (?)
Hello. Amateur hour Webbiz here. :-) I'm in the middle of learning C# coming from VB6. Yes, it's a jump but a guy's got to move into the 21st Century eventually. Besides, in my past life (1980's) I was pretty familiar with C and C++ so learning the language part has been a breeze. However, .NET is a whole new world for me. Man, a lot has happened since the ole API days! While learning C# coding I'm getting familiar with my Visual Studio 2010 Pro IDE. Lots of strange files list that you have to get used to. Meanwhile, I've got a book open for WPF and ...

WPF DataBinding
I'm developing a fairly simple WPF solution. It's basically just a treeview on the left side, and a listview on the other. Very similar to Windows explorer in looking at the file system, but not with the file system. 8-) Anyway, here's my problem: My WPF listview has 5 columns. Each column has a name, and each column was databound using a simple custom expression. e.g.: <ListView.View> <GridView> <GridViewColumn Header="Column1" DisplayMemberBinding="{Binding A}"/> <GridViewColumn Header="Column2" Disp...

API for WPF
Hello all, I was wondering, is there an unmanaged API for using Windows Presentation Foundation (or WPF-like)? Regards. "Fernando G�mez" <fernando.a.gomez.f@gmail.com> wrote in message news:u3t2zLR4IHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hello all, > > I was wondering, is there an unmanaged API for using Windows Presentation > Foundation (or WPF-like)? > I'm not sure how WPF-like it is, but here is a tantalizing abstract from an upcoming PDC talk: http://microsoftpdc.com/Agenda/Sessions.aspx --- Windows 7: Graphics Advances Windows 7 enables you to advan...

How to mark / build C# / WPF component STA
I am hosting WPF components in unmanaged MFC. This WPF components will do some ricktext editing. Hosting / editing are working fine but closing will crash application on exit (release version only and no crash on debug). The following is the current structure: class parentA_COM : definited / implemented in unmanaged C++, STA class memberB_COM : definited in unmanaged C++, but implemented in C# (ComVisible) class winUserControl: implemented in C# to host WPF user control; class wpfUserControl: implemented in C# class MyApp // unmanaged C++ { main () { parentA_COM pPA();...

WPF
Are there any news groups specific to WPF ? "Mr. Magic" <Mufasa@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message news:uiUfLnX3KHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Are there any news groups specific to WPF ? http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en/wpf/threads/ -- Peace and Grace, Greg Twitter: @gbworld Blog: http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com ************************************************ | Think outside the box! | ************************************************ On 16-04-2010 11:31, Mr. Magic wrote: > Are there any news groups spe...

WPF
Hi Is WPF popular now , can VC and MFC write a WPF program ? If I want to study WPF , is there some good book to study ? Thank you . "Kid" <Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:28A8BC25-61A2-4B44-A833-BF9E6A543552@microsoft.com... > Is WPF popular now , can VC and MFC write a WPF program ? WPF is becoming popular, and there are very important ideas behind it (like using the 3D hardware acceleration, high-composibility of contents, etc.). However, I think that the tools need to mature, and there are issues to be fixed (like the blurry text at...

WPF Message queue
Hi all, First of all: sorry for my English. I'm trying to implement background data processing in WPF. For example by pushing button "A" i start some function "B" that works indefinite amount of time. That's why i show continuous progress bar till the end of function. I'm using Backgroundworker for this. But during this long operation button "A" keeps to be pressed. I don't like that behaviour. I'd like to enque my method "B" to be run after button's event OnClick finished. Thus button will look unpressed and my lo...

WPF xml
I'm using WPF with net 3.5 to load the ItemsSource of a combo box from an xml file. The xml is setup like this: <profiles> <profile> <profilename>First profile</profilename> ... </profile> ... other profile nodes </profiles> In the Windows.Resources node of the xaml I have: <XmlDataProvider x:Key="xmldata" Source="c:/temp/xmlData.xml" XPath="profiles/profile" /> and in the combobox I have: <ComboBox Margin="5" Name="cbProfiles" Width="240" IsE...

No really
I've searched all over the place, tried all kinds of things and I can't get a Flash file to play in WPF. Here's the code I'm using: private void WindowLoaded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) { System.Windows.Forms.Integration.WindowsFormsHost host = new System.Windows.Forms.Integration.WindowsFormsHost(); ShockwaveFlashObjects.ShockwaveFlash axShockwaveFlash1 = new ShockwaveFlashObjects.ShockwaveFlash(); host.Child = axShockwaveFlash1; this.FlashGrid.Children.Add(host); strin...

WPF-style code
Hello there, starting from this minimal XAML <Window x:Class="Acme.Graph.MainWindow" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml" Title="MainWindow" Height="350" Width="525"> <Grid> <Grid.ColumnDefinitions> <ColumnDefinition Width="60"></ColumnDefinition> <ColumnDefinition Width="*"></ColumnDefinition> </Gri...

Big problem with VS2008 & WPF
I just made a small change to a WPF project to put the usercontrols into their own assembly. I made the changes and all seemed good (for a while, a common WPF occurence). Now I have a main project and several (DAL, UserControls) assemblies. I have the reference correct since it did compile correctly once. I reopen the solution an hour later and ....... I have so many problems with assembly not found etc. I try to just compile the usercontrol assembly and .... it compiles the entire solution and it just doesn't work. I get errors from the main project attempting t...

Need to learn WPF?
I am working as asp.net programer for a few years and created many web programs. Do I need to learn WPF? What special benefits in WPFwhich asp.net do not have? -- Message posted via DotNetMonster.com http://www.dotnetmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/asp-net/201001/1 "aspfun via DotNetMonster.com" <u53138@uwe> wrote in message news:a19f17628ef0a@uwe... > I am working as asp.net programer for a few years and created many web > programs. > Do I need to learn WPF? What special benefits in WPFwhich asp.net do not > have? > > > -- > Mess...

Visual Basic and WPF
I have a solution with a visual basic 2008 project and a WPF implemented with C# and i need to call the wpf project from inside the vb project, in run mode. Is it possible? how? Do i need to call the Shell method? isn't there a better way, so i don't need to identify the place where the wpf .exe file is, since their in the same project? My thanks in advanced On 12/10/2009 3:42 PM, Ricardo Furtado wrote: > I have a solution with a visual basic 2008 project and a WPF implemented with > C# and i need to call the wpf project from inside the vb project, in run > m...

WPF and PowerPoint
Can WPF play a PowerPoint presentation natively? I want to be able to load a PPT file without having PowerPoint on the machine. This is running on a Kiosk so I need it to not require any customer interaction. TIA - Jeff. "Mr. Magic" <Mufasa@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message news:updxDoX3KHA.1016@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Can WPF play a PowerPoint presentation natively? I want to be able to load > a PPT file without having PowerPoint on the machine. This is running on a > Kiosk so I need it to not require any customer interaction. No. There are no ...

wpf GridSplitter
I am trying to understand the GridSplitter. If I have the following Grid, it resizes exactly the same whether I have the GridSplitter or not and regardless of what the ResizeBehavior is. I thought the "*" and "auto" determined the resizing behavior? <Grid TextBlock.FontSize="48"> <Grid.RowDefinitions> <RowDefinition/> <RowDefinition Height="250"/> </Grid.RowDefinitions> <Grid.ColumnDefinitions> <ColumnDefinition Width="2*"/>...

Doew WPF application need to install in each pc?
Our company have about 20 branches and 500 clienta in different locations. Most of our appications are ASP.NET and are hosted in a web server. If I use WPF to create a new application, does it need to install in each pc? -- Message posted via DotNetMonster.com http://www.dotnetmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/asp-net/201001/1 aspfun via DotNetMonster.com wrote: > Our company have about 20 branches and 500 clienta in different locations. > Most of our appications are ASP.NET and are hosted in a web server. > If I use WPF to create a new application, does it need to install in...

WPF Resource Dictionary
Hi, In VS 2008 Right Clicking the project name in Solution Explorer/Add shows "Resource Dictionary...", in VS 2010 RC I can't find anywhere to add a Resource Dictionary. I am trying to add a custom font resource to my WPF project in a way that would allow me to use the font in future projects. What is the best way to do that in VS 2010? Thanks, invegat <invegat@ns.com> wrote in message news:kql4r5t0a6km9h4vpedevs3cli3dlt3dj6@4ax.com... > Hi, In VS 2008 Right Clicking the project name in Solution > Explorer/Add shows "Resource Dict...

WPF
How do you flash flash in WPF program? TIA - Jeff. On 16-04-2010 11:31, Mr. Magic wrote: > How do you flash flash in WPF program? Embed a Flash engine. It does not sound as a practical road forward. Arne "Mr. Magic" <Mufasa@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message news:uY97cnX3KHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > How do you flash flash in WPF program? > > TIA - Jeff. You don't. or at least you don't directly. You could put a web browser control in your window and open a web page that has flash in it. We have our flash files send out me...

Wpf
I have a couple instances where I am using a set of data to define a window for testing purposes but I can't seem to find any place that really explains it. <Path Fill="#80D0E0FF" Stroke="Red" StrokeThickness="3" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center" Data="M79,3L65,82 17,91 50,138 96,157 104,192 175,154 190,167 218,78 156,76 157,9 111,39z"/> In the Data attribute, I am trying to figure out what that means with the M's, Ls and z's. I have seen this shown ...

WPF
hi, do you know, where I can find free Gantt Chart WPF libraries? I can only find trial versions. regards daniel kazik wrote: > hi, > > do you know, where I can find free Gantt Chart WPF libraries? I can only > find trial versions. What features are you looking for? It seems to me that, to implement a basic Gantt chart, it should not take you very long just to write it yourself, if you find the available third-party libraries outside your budget. Keeping in mind, of course, the need to balance the cost of your own time against the cost of the library...

WPF equivalent of TextOut()
What is the Windows Presentation Foundation equivalent of the original Win32 API function TextOut()? BOOL TextOut( HDC hdc, // handle to device context int nXStart, // x-coordinate of starting position int nYStart, // y-coordinate of starting position LPCTSTR lpString, // pointer to string int cbString // number of characters in string ); WPF is a different paradigm... not like GDI. You would typically have a "Label"/"Content" element and you woudl assign the "Text" property with the text you want. -S...

Wpf tooltip exist Direct3d memleak in native code in xp and vista os
<1>use the D3D control panel, enable the debug DLL and maximum validation,for D3D control panel ,you need to install the directx sdk. <2>Start up the debug monitor (<MSVC install directory>\Common7\Tools \Bin\winnt\Dbmon.Exe). <3>If you use the tooltip in native code,then run the program,show the tooltip,then exit the program, the Dbmon.exe will report serious direct3d9 memleak in xp and vista os.but If I use the wpf tooltip in c#,it is no problem. I do not know why? The following is my code fragment of mfc project void CFntClrDialogDlg::OnClick() { if((ToolTip...