How to create a simple url to access an intranet

Hello Community

    A url consisting of a long computer name, a port number, the path and
then the name of the web page is used to access an intranet.

    That is alot for a user to type into an address bar and the user won't
really know what all of that text stands for.

    So the question is how can a simple url be created for a user to type
into the address bar to access the main page on an intranet?

     Thanks
      Jeff

--
JB

"JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Community
>
>    A url consisting of a long computer name, a port number, the path and
> then the name of the web page is used to access an intranet.
>
>    That is alot for a user to type into an address bar and the user won't
> really know what all of that text stands for.
>
>    So the question is how can a simple url be created for a user to type
> into the address bar to access the main page on an intranet?

Yes.

Lets say you want http://intranet to be your intranet. This requires two
things:

1. Configure IIS to respond to http://intranet. This is simply a case of
creating a new website and add a binding for "intranet", leave it at the
default port of 80 and set up whatever files are required for your intranet.

2. Configure the DNS server on your LAN to give out the IP address of your
server in response to "intranet". If you are running Windows Server then you
are probably running a DNS server on it already.

A simple test of whether you've got DNS configured right is to do:
    nslookup intranet
on the command line. If you've set DNS up right then it should come back
with the IP address of your server.

I think that should be about it.
--
 Brian Cryer
 http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

0
Brian

create a roster

Encode URL parameter value?
Hi, I need to pass parameter to a URL (on the internet). Are there any function to encode parameter like Server.URLEncode() in ASP? Thank you, Kelvin Are you talking about InternetCanonicalizeUrl()? "Kelvin" <Kelvin_gl@yahoo.com.cn> wrote in message news:ehdMDOFVEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I need to pass parameter to a URL (on the internet). Are there any function > to encode parameter like Server.URLEncode() in ASP? > > Thank you, > Kelvin > > Oh yes, it is exactly what I had spent a lot to time looking for... Thank you a lot....

ms ACCESS 97 error 2645
The error occurs at: Option Compare Database Option Explicit Function CalcRate(frm As Form) Dim Mydb As Database, Myset As Recordset, Cd As String, Intrp As String Dim IRR As Currency, IAHR As Currency, ITR As Currency, Strcriteriaint As String Set Mydb = CurrentDb Set Myset = Mydb.OpenRecordset("LangRate", DB_OPEN_DYNASET) >>>>> Cd = frm.Lang_C <<<<<<<<< The exact error is : Run-Time Error 2465 Application-defined or object-defined error See whether using Cd = frm!Lang_C is any better. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http:...

Task Create - Status

Create external database

Access Denied error while edit some of the GPOs in Windows 2003 AD
Hi We are unable to edit some of the GPOs (Default Domain Policy, etc) and getting Access Denied error. We checked the permission of SYSVOL folder and found Administrators (Domain), System and Authenticated Users have full control share permissions. Full access has been provided to Administrators, creator owner & System and read & execute permission has been provided to Authenticated users in Security tab. Can anyone help me to resolve the issue and also any doc is available to check the correct permissions with SYSVOL. Thanks in advance for help Regards Lal -...

Accesing an Access Databse from Excel
Please, how can I access an Access database through ODBC from VBA. Where an I find the documentation needed. Best regards, Alexandru TUDOSE First, you don't necessarily need to use VBA to bring data into Excel from a database, whether from Access or another DBMS. Two easy ways are to use a pivot table (Data, PivotTable and PivotChart Report, and specify External Data Source in the wizard's first step; then, follow the prompts), or Data | Import External Data | New Database Query. Some of these menu items will differ according to the version of Excel you're using. The pivot t...

simple yet nagging issue with functions and "format cells"
i'm sure this is a really simple issue...my knowledge of excel is not comprehensive, it's all self-taught and very specific (i.e. i have a great deal of knowledge on some stuff and other stuff i've never used). i have a spreadsheet with five worksheets in it, and it's not letting me type in any functions or alter the formatting of cells. essentially the sticking point is there is a column of zip codes that has lost its leading zero, and i'm trying to either concatenate it with a leading zero or change the box format to zip code. no luck on either. if i type in any formula,...

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

HELP! Need Access DB to show realtime changes in different location
Hi Guys, I was wondering about how access refreshes it's data within forms and it seems that it doesn't. If i have a form open in one location on a network and update fields on the form the changes are not shown on the form opened in another location. (I.e. if 2 users are in the same form at the same time and one adds a new record the other users form will not show this change). Is there anyway that Access can be setup to show real-time changes over multiple locations? Preferably without having to do a manual refresh by clicking a button or something. All i want to do is show change...

How to create Access macro shortcut

How to access Excel forum through Outlook Express
How does one access the Microsoft Excel forum through Outlook Express. Tools>accounts>add>news, your name, email (most use a bogus email to protect from spammers), then in step 3 under servers use msnews.microsoft.com then finish when you close it will download the different newsgroups and there you can select the excel groups you want to subscribe to. Most people that I know who have used newsgroups for a long time dislike OE since it is (albeit easy to use) rather limited as a newsreader -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Kenny Dee" <Kenny...

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

Sumproductlike in Access
Hi, excuse me for posting this question for the second time... My last topic was dead, haven't had a response in 3 weeks. I'll try to explain exactly what i'm doing. Two tables A link between those two tables through 'Contract Number' & 'Sales Doc' Creating a new query (Query1) Adding some fields ('Tech Name', 'S Emplcomm name'). Now when i run it, it creates a list of ~ 9000 fields with 'Master Contract', 'Contractnumber', 'Tech Name' & 'S Emplcomm name') I want a new field: Amount where A...