asp.net, windows 7, and a return of the BSOD

I spent years and years using Windows XP without *ever* seeing a BSOD. I
honestly thought these things were a thing of the past. Now I see one, or
have my machine simply lock up hard, nearly every day and it only happens
when I have just started an ASP.Net project in debug mode. The recovery tool
kicks in on reboot but it always comes up with "no known cause" as the
reason for the crash. This worries me because it suggests that MS isn't
getting any meaningful feedback on the problem, which in turn means that I
may experience this problem indefinitely.

Has anyone else been having an issue developing on Windows 7? Did I waste my
money? Should I move back to XP?

Paul

0
PJ6

PJ6 wrote:
> I spent years and years using Windows XP without *ever* seeing a BSOD. I
> honestly thought these things were a thing of the past. Now I see one, or
> have my machine simply lock up hard, nearly every day and it only happens
> when I have just started an ASP.Net project in debug mode. The recovery tool
> kicks in on reboot but it always comes up with "no known cause" as the
> reason for the crash. This worries me because it suggests that MS isn't
> getting any meaningful feedback on the problem, which in turn means that I
> may experience this problem indefinitely.
>
> Has anyone else been having an issue developing on Windows 7? Did I waste my
> money? Should I move back to XP?
>
> Paul

I am on Vista, Win 7 is its offspring. I don't have the problems you're
having in debug mode. If ASP.NET is blowing in debug mode, maybe it's an
IIS7 issue. Have you looked at the IIS7 logs.

Also, if the Win 7 page file size is too small, Vista is set to control
the page file size as needed, it can cause problems with the .NET IDE in
debug mode with lockup(s). I have not seen a BSOD behind this, but
anything is possible and those problems were happening on a XP machine
at work, until Win XP was told to automatically control the page file size.
0
Mr
6/27/2010 5:25:45 PM
"Mr. Arnold" <Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
> I am on Vista, Win 7 is its offspring. I don't have the problems you're
> having in debug mode. If ASP.NET is blowing in debug mode, maybe it's an
> IIS7 issue. Have you looked at the IIS7 logs.
>
> Also, if the Win 7 page file size is too small, Vista is set to control
> the page file size as needed, it can cause problems with the .NET IDE in
> debug mode with lockup(s). I have not seen a BSOD behind this, but
> anything is possible and those problems were happening on a XP machine at
> work, until Win XP was told to automatically control the page file size.

Page file, huh? The commit charge never gets over 2GB and I have 6. But I'll
give that a go.

Thanks,
Paul

0
PJ6
6/28/2010 1:23:59 PM
I failed to realize that I'm always debugging - the instability was related
to my graphics card driver :/

"PJ6" <noone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>I spent years and years using Windows XP without *ever* seeing a BSOD. I
>honestly thought these things were a thing of the past. Now I see one, or
>have my machine simply lock up hard, nearly every day and it only happens
>when I have just started an ASP.Net project in debug mode. The recovery
>tool kicks in on reboot but it always comes up with "no known cause" as the
>reason for the crash. This worries me because it suggests that MS isn't
>getting any meaningful feedback on the problem, which in turn means that I
>may experience this problem indefinitely.
>
> Has anyone else been having an issue developing on Windows 7? Did I waste
> my money? Should I move back to XP?
>
> Paul

0
PJ6

ASP to ASP.NET --- XMLHTTP error--XML document must have a top level element
Hi i am converting an ASP page to ASP.NET. The original ASP code works perfectly but in ASP.NET i am getting the error "XML document must have a top level element." I have checked the XML being sent and it looks exactly the same as the live (working version). The back end code has not changed at all. The client side code is as follows: Dim xmlhttp, WISERServer WISERServer = "JK-VM1/production/Pages/XML.asp" xmlhttp = CreateObject("MSXML2.XmlHttp.4.0") xmlhttp.open("GET", WISERServer, False) xmlhttp.setReques...

debugging a windows service
I'm a newbie to windows service development. I have a service that was written using Visual C++ and I'm making changes to it. What is the best way to debug this service? Is there a way to set breakpoints or do any of the usual debug operations that you can do with a normal app? Thanks, E >I'm a newbie to windows service development. I have a service that was >written using Visual C++ and I'm making changes to it. What is the best way >to debug this service? Is there a way to set breakpoints or do any of the >usual debug operations that you can do with...

.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update
Hi I am unable to install the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update - error code 0x643 (tried dozens of times). I have found a resolution on the MS site but it does not show me where to find .NET Framework version 2.0 SP2, version 3.0 SP2 or version 3.5 SP1 which I will need to reinstall after deleting the originals and running the cleanup utility. Any ideas? Search this newsgroup for "643." -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." "Mac 33" <Mac33@discussions.mic...

Return Dataset without schema
Hi I want to return a dataset from a webservice and exclude the schema. How can I do this? /Patrik Patrik, You can't control this in DataSet. You can get around it by creating a new inherited class and overriding this: protected override bool ShouldSerializeTables() { return false; } protected override bool ShouldSerializeRelations() { return false; } You might also need to override MyDataset(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) and protected override void ReadXmlSerializable(XmlReader reader) and protected override XmlSchema GetSchemaSerializable() but you sh...

GetTextExtent and Window Placement
Hello, Newsgroupians: I've yet another question that's been taxing my brain. Here's my scenario. I've two windows: a parent window and a child window. In the parent window, I'm creating a font that's at a ninety degree angle to the horizontal. In the WM_PAINT handler, with the font I created, I get the extents of a specific string. Once I have the extents of the string, I reposition the child window to be the entire height of the parent window subtract the extent of the text. Finally, I write text below the child window. The GUI representation is as follow...

How to set active window titlebar color for child windows
How can I make a CWnd child window of a CFrameWnd look like it's active (for example, on my XP box, the active window has a darker blue title bar and the background windows are light blue) ...

Sending mail from an ASP webpage
Hi all, We have just converted to Windows SBS2003 with Exchange 2003. Our intranet and a few other internal webbased systems used to rely on CDO Mail to send emails via these webpages (be they webmail type pages or alerts etc). We were running a Win2K server before hand and were able to use the Default SMTP Virtual Server to send our mail with. Now that we have upgraded, it has changed somewhat and it appears to no longer operate in the same fashion. IIS is considerably different (which i'm slowly getting the hang of) and we now use exchange as our mail server. How do we set this new m...

vb.net Datagridview RowValidating
Greetings, The code below never sets the current cell to the error location, allowing user to correct the mistake (see below), though does display the error message. This is activated when they press tab to leave the row (RowValidating) and the next row is populated with values from DefaultValuesNeeded I was wondering where my logic and code have failed me, instead of setting the focus to the cell containing the error it moves to the next row with the default values set but the error logo and text displayed? Thanks Rob 'Validation for day of weekends Select Case Dir...

Windows XP power management
When I set the power management settings to get it to hibernate or shut off the monitor or hard disk, it just never does it. The settings don't "take effect". I checked to see that the account that I was using was the administrator's account. The "enable hybernate" is selected. I would appreciate any suggestions on getting this to work. It is on my daughter's computer (with a loud fan) and I can always hear it running....... You're in the wrong place. This forum is for Microsoft Dynamics GP assistance. The Windows XP forum is http://www.microso...

SQL connection management in ASP.Net
hi, I have to create a small website in ASP.Net 2.0. I have question about working with SQL connections. What are the best practises? How and where to create and store a connection? I see a few possibilities: - create, open/close a connection on each web page - create a connection on login page and store it on Session - how to create a connection? ie. SqlConnection = new SqlConnection or System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactory factory = System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory("System.Data.SqlClient"); System.Data.Common.DbConnection conn = factory.Crea...

Programming in .ASP
the variables in the URL are populate above and are valid. when I send the email to myself or other local developers, no issue, the URL is correct, however, sometimes when sent to customers, the url will read: http://www.someurl.com/?name=Me&location=there&em%0D%0A%20ail=test@someurl.com&hash=ABCABC123 where does the %0D%0A%20 come from, what adds that to the url, which obviously makes it invalid and doesn't work for the customer. Any ideas would be great. iConf = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration") iConf.Fields.item("http...

BSOD memory.dmp deleted by Windows 7
Hello, I have my Windows 7 system configured to generate Kernel memory dump files. However, whenever a BSOD occurs, the file is missing upon the next reboot. In the event log, I see the following message: The dump file at location: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP was deleted because the disk volume had less than 25 GB free space. Is there way to disable this behaviour of Windows? There is about 20GB of free space on the Windows 7 partition, so there should be enough room for the dump file. Thanks, Rick Set the following registry value to one, creating the entry if needed: HKL...

running Money 97 on Windows XP...?
I recently purchased a new laptop running Windows XP. I have the old Microsoft Money 97 and it won't even read the CD properly. I know the CD is fine because I tried reinstalling it on an older machine which was running Windows 98 and it worked fine. Can Money 97 run on the Windows XP operating system?? Thanks, Angela. Money 97 is not listed on the XP compatible products site, so my guess is it is not compatible. http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/ Try buying a copy of Money 2004 on eBay... Tod "Angela" <ajhirst@autobahn.mb.ca> wrote in message news:%...

FREE .NET EBOOKS , DOTNET TUTORIALS, CODE SNIPPETS
Visit this site u will find good .Net ebooks, .Net source code, .net tutorials and lots more for vb.net, c#.net, asp.net and other dotnet stuff. URL: www.DotNetGuide.net I don't like the site because 1) There are 3 sets of adverts on each page 2) The page is fixed with, which is very annoying. I am reading on a wide-screen laptop but find I am limited to approximately 60 characters per line, I can't read articles like that! Pete ...

Loop through records, pop up window for data and insert
Hi All! Is it possible to loop through records and pop up a window for additional data, then insert the record? at present I have this: Dim SQLStr As String If MySelected2 <> "" Then SQLStr = "INSERT INTO ATTENDANCE (ATT_HDR_ID,STUDENT_ID,EVENT_ID,LOCATION_ID, EVENT_DAT,COMMENT,PHYSICAL_LIMITS,EVENT_FEE) SELECT " & Forms!ATTENDANCE_HDR. ATT_HDR_ID & " as ATT_HDR_ID, STUDENTS.STUDENT_ID AS STUDENT_ID," & Forms! ATTENDANCE_HDR.EVENT_ID & " as EVENT_ID," & Forms!ATTENDANCE_HDR.LOCATION_ID & " AS LOCATION_ID,'" &am...

xml DTD visual stdio .net 2k3 autocomplete
Hello, I'm using visual studio .net 2k3 to work with Xml intensive integration App. When I using XML /XSD based documents I get autocomplete feature but not when I use Xml /Dtd based. Somebody know How work around Thansk Alejandro P. ? <alejandropacheco@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:esj0OEWYEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I'm using visual studio .net 2k3 to work with Xml intensive integration > App. When I using XML /XSD based documents I get autocomplete feature but > not when I use Xml /Dtd based. Somebody know How work around > >...

ASP.Net
Hi, I have a few questions about ASP.Net, as I've been using it for a while but my knowledge of the "big picture" is patchy in some areas. Any help would be appreciated... - Where is the line between "native" language features (e.g. in JScript), and those features which are part of .Net (or whatever), common to all .Net languages? Or put another way, how are the .Net facilities "mapped" onto a particular language? (I'm sorry of this question is somewhat vague...) - In a closely-related matter, do any languages have issues accessing the full A...

Authentication between asp.net 2.0 and asp.net 1.1
I am running CRM 3.0 which is running in its own app pool for asp.net 1.1. I've added a virtual directory under the CRM website which runs under a different app pool for asp.net 2.0. This is where I put my custom web pages. Both app pools are running under the NETWORK SERVICE account. Both the CRM website and the virtual directory has windows authentication. My question is why I am prompted to enter my credential when I access the custom page through CRM the first time I access the page? Have I not already been authenticated? Hmm not sure whether this can help. Are you sure you put...

Windows XP taskbar problems
I started using Quicklaunch in my taskbar. Someone I switched views and desktop was checked. Once that happened I now get a double wide task bar and nothing I do will take it back to a single wide task bar. All the start menu items bunch up in the right corner. I have unchecked desktop. Now when I uncheck quicklaunch the bar goes to a single line, but I want quicklaunch but not the double width. Any suggestions? You posted that to the wrong newsgroup -- this one is for Outlook :-) Just out of curiosity, though, have you tried dragging the top of the taskbar down until it's y...

Windows XP Compatability with Older ATI (Legacy) Software from ATI
I am currently using an older machine a: ASUS P2B-VM slot 1 550Mhz with a built in ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (GT-C2U2) 8MB Ram Video Card running 384mb RAM. I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have been for quite a while. I have done very little upgrades, even though I know it definately needs alot. I haven't had any problems with anything until recently. 2 or 3 years ago I downloaded from the ATI website a new driver with a display console adapter for adjustments. It worked fine in Win 2000 and in XP up until three weeks ago. Now XP is trying to protect my CPU and dumping ...

VB.net
Hi, I am trying to update a field in a record of a Access Database (whose structure I can not modify). I got this error (translated from italian): "Data types do not match in the expression" = "Tipi di dati non corrispondenti nell'espressione criterio." The code is the following: (myField is a binary field as on Access 2007) 'determine new value Dim newValue() As Byte = ... (valid data) 'write new attributes Dim conn As OleDbConnection = myObj.getConnection Dim cmd As OleDbComman...

How to start an application or ASP.NET project in VS 2008
I have a problem. I'm working on "brushing up" on my MSVS 2008/ SQL Server 2008. Both these are installed on my laptop. When I start up MSVS 2008 and select "New" then "Project" I can see the Business Intelligence Projects templates, which is not what I need right now, and I can see a selection for Other Project Types templates. However, selecting the Other Project Types I see no templates at all!? Is there someplace I can download these templates? Thanks so much for your help. Steve "S_K" <steve_kershaw@yahoo.com> wrote in m...

Error 0x8007043c Windows update
running xp pro sp3, got a BAD_POOL_HEADER message... looks like driver issues when booting in safe mode.. above error is..can't do windows update in safe mode... is there any workaround for this...?? I'm hoping that a fresh update will resolve open issues... anyone have a starting point? Thank you. "djdave" <djdave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:126AB56A-3D45-489E-BB65-7BD21280CED5@microsoft.com... > running xp pro sp3, got a BAD_POOL_HEADER message... > looks like driver issues when booting in safe mode.. > above error is..ca...

Request.Form error in asp.net
We have a web page that displays dated notes kept in SQL table. The users have apparently done a copy/paste of email content into the nvarchar(max) column. Now, when we read it in edit on a web form we are getting the error below. Can anyone help us avoid this issue as the web page crashes. Thanks. An unhandled exception occurred: Message: A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (ctl00$ContentMain$fvActivityHistory$txtActivityNotes="...g, Teresa <tgering@aging.net> w..."). Stack Trace: at System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateSt...

Problems with Running CRM 3.0 WebClient in Windows 2003 Terminal S
We presently do support for a couple of clients that us Microsoft CRM 3.0 and recently, we upgraded our terminal server to Windows 2003 SP1. Certain aspects of the webclient for CRM load properly, but others such as search do not function. It simply states "An error has occured. For more information, contact your system administrator". The site is in trusted sites, everything enabled, and popups and such are turned off. It works fine on 2k and XP machines, search functions and all, but on 2k3 sp1, it refuses to work. Any suggestions. Please forgive the redundant post if i...