WinUSB as a filter driver?

Hi,

if I write a UMDF USB driver whats the connection between the USB Device
an the Kernelmode?

The WinUSB driver, right?

If it is so, how could I install the WinUSB for the device as a filter
driver?

The paper "how to use WinUSB to communicate with a USB Device" describes
how to install WinUSB as a function driver. In this combination are no
UMDF USB driver between WinUSB and the Application, right?

Is it possible to skip the WinUSB and connect directly to the UMDF USB
driver, or do I have to use WinUSB ever?

regards
Tobias Philipp
0
Tobias

You would need to use WinUSB along with your UMDF driver. Please see the
links in my other post for more information.

"Tobias Philipp" <fh-tphilipp@web.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> if I write a UMDF USB driver whats the connection between the USB Device
> an the Kernelmode?
>
> The WinUSB driver, right?
>
> If it is so, how could I install the WinUSB for the device as a filter
> driver?
>
> The paper "how to use WinUSB to communicate with a USB Device" describes
> how to install WinUSB as a function driver. In this combination are no
> UMDF USB driver between WinUSB and the Application, right?
>
> Is it possible to skip the WinUSB and connect directly to the UMDF USB
> driver, or do I have to use WinUSB ever?
>
> regards
> Tobias Philipp

0
Abhishek
1/25/2010 12:09:06 AM
Tobias Philipp <fh-tphilipp@web.de> wrote:

>if I write a UMDF USB driver whats the connection between the USB Device
>an the Kernelmode?
>
>The WinUSB driver, right?

Yes.

>If it is so, how could I install the WinUSB for the device as a filter
>driver?

There was really no reason to post this twice.  These connections are all
laid out in the INF file that you write.

>The paper "how to use WinUSB to communicate with a USB Device" describes
>how to install WinUSB as a function driver. In this combination are no
>UMDF USB driver between WinUSB and the Application, right?

Correct.

>Is it possible to skip the WinUSB and connect directly to the UMDF USB
>driver, or do I have to use WinUSB ever?

Not sure what you mean.  A UMDF driver is really just a simple user-mode
DLL that happens to run inside a special user-mode process.  USB requests
have to be submitted in kernel mode.  Therefore, SOMEONE has to act as a
proxy for you to cross that divide and submit URBs.  You can write your own
kernel mode driver and have your UMDF talk to it, but that would be silly.
If you were going to write a KM driver, you'd just have THAT be the primary
driver.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
Abhishek R [MSFT] schrieb:
> You would need to use WinUSB along with your UMDF driver. Please see the
> links in my other post for more information.

Hi,

could you write the links here? I can't see the other thread. In the
second part of this thread Tim Roberts ask why I post the question
twice, but I didn't.

Here in Thunderbird it's just 1 Thread "WinUSB as a filter driver?".

regards
0
Tobias
1/25/2010 4:04:09 PM
thx.

Tim Roberts schrieb:
> There was really no reason to post this twice.

Here in Thunderbird it's just 1 Thread "WinUSB as a filter driver?" or
what did you mean?

0
Tobias
1/25/2010 4:06:41 PM
As requested, I'm reproducing the information from my previous post -

"The following whitepaper has some information on writing a UMDF driver for
USB device. Note that it talks about both KMDF and UMDF. The UMDF parts
would be relevant to you.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/USB_WDF.doc

The OSR USB Fx2 sample in the WDK would also be worth looking at.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163442.aspx"

> Abhishek R [MSFT] schrieb:
>> You would need to use WinUSB along with your UMDF driver. Please see the
>> links in my other post for more information.
>

> Hi,
>
> could you write the links here? I can't see the other thread. In the
> second part of this thread Tim Roberts ask why I post the question twice,
> but I didn't.
>
> Here in Thunderbird it's just 1 Thread "WinUSB as a filter driver?".
>
> regards

0
Abhishek
1/25/2010 4:26:05 PM
Tobias Philipp <fh-tphilipp@web.de> wrote:

>thx.
>
>Tim Roberts schrieb:
>> There was really no reason to post this twice.
>
>Here in Thunderbird it's just 1 Thread "WinUSB as a filter driver?" or
>what did you mean?

Your thread entitled "beginning UMDF driver for PIC" asked the same
questions with virtually the same wording.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
0
Tim
1/27/2010 6:05:32 AM
Tim Roberts schrieb:
> Tobias Philipp <fh-tphilipp@web.de> wrote:
>
>> thx.
>>
>> Tim Roberts schrieb:
>>> There was really no reason to post this twice.
>> Here in Thunderbird it's just 1 Thread "WinUSB as a filter driver?" or
>> what did you mean?
>
> Your thread entitled "beginning UMDF driver for PIC" asked the same
> questions with virtually the same wording.

Your Re came to fast, this Thread I deleted a second later. Thats why I
can't see the answers if somebody was fast.
0
Tobias
1/30/2010 10:16:33 AM
Abhishek R [MSFT] schrieb:
> As requested, I'm reproducing the information from my previous post -
>
> "The following whitepaper has some information on writing a UMDF driver
> for a
> USB device. Note that it talks about both KMDF and UMDF. The UMDF parts
> would be relevant to you.
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/USB_WDF.doc
>

> The OSR USB Fx2 sample in the WDK would also be worth looking at.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163442.aspx"
>
> "Tobias Philipp" <fh-tphilipp@web.de> wrote in message
>> Abhishek R [MSFT] schrieb:
>>> You would need to use WinUSB along with your UMDF driver. Please see
>>> the links in my other post for more information.
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> could you write the links here? I can't see the other thread. In the
>> second part of this thread Tim Roberts ask why I post the question
>> twice, but I didn't.
>>
>> Here in Thunderbird it's just 1 Thread "WinUSB as a filter driver?".
>>
>> regards

THX for the links. The other Tread I deleted a second after creation.
But some people were very fast with there answers.

regards
0
Tobias
1/30/2010 10:20:07 AM
Tobias Philipp <fh-tphilipp@web.de> wrote:

>Tim Roberts schrieb:
>
>Your Re came to fast, this Thread I deleted a second later. Thats why I
>can't see the answers if somebody was fast.

You can't delete threads on a newsgroup.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
0
Tim
2/1/2010 2:13:01 AM
Tim Roberts schrieb:
> Tobias Philipp <fh-tphilipp@web.de> wrote:
>
>> Tim Roberts schrieb:
>>
>> Your Re came to fast, this Thread I deleted a second later. Thats why I
>> can't see the answers if somebody was fast.
>
> You can't delete threads on a newsgroup.

I can --> right button --> article retrieve.

The result: Post/Thread is gone.
0
Tobias
2/9/2010 4:42:12 PM
Tobias Philipp <fh-tphilipp@web.de> wrote:
>Tim Roberts schrieb:
>>
>> You can't delete threads on a newsgroup.
>
>I can --> right button --> article retrieve.
>
>The result: Post/Thread is gone.

Well, perhaps the news server you use honors cancellation messages.  Many
news servers do not, because the cancellation messages are easily abused.

In the long term, it's best to think about Usenet articles as being
permanent, like email.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
0
Tim

Employee Filters

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

Filter by relative criteria
Is there an easy way that I can fill out those rows that meet certain criteria? For example, I have coloumn A (Min),column B (Max)and the results are in column C, I need to filter C4 (A4<C4<B4) and C8 (A8<C8<B8).... Thanks You can use an Advanced Filter. There are some instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html Your criteria area will have a blank cell for a heading, and the following formula in the cell below (assuming the data starts in row 4): =AND(A4<C4,C4<B4) Eileen wrote: > Is there an easy way that I can fill out those rows that...

WinUSB
Hi there, Does anybody happen to know, do WinUSB drivers exist for Windows CE 6? Many thanks, Paul Be a little more-specific. You want some sort of generic interface for programs running on Windows CE devices that have host ports for talking to devices connected to those Windows CE hosts? Or you want to talk to your Windows CE device from a PC running WinUSB? Paul T. "Paul Mulvey" wrote: > Hi there, > > Does anybody happen to know, do WinUSB drivers exist for Windows CE 6? > > Many thanks, > Paul > . > On 18 June, 16:17, P...

Filtering junk email with HTML format
Is there a way to filter out junk email that has HTML format? Almost all spam is coming in HTML format now and I can't find a setting in Outlook 2002 to filter out these types of junk mail. Thanks! Tim Hailey >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to filter out junk email that has HTML >format? Almost all spam is coming in HTML format now and I >can't find a setting in Outlook 2002 to filter out these >types of junk mail. Thanks! > > >Tim Hailey >. >Tim, You would have to have a third party package, I use Trend eManager which works with Tr...

Explicit Filtering
Hi I am creating a report with more than one data set. I understand that the pre-filtering only works for one data set. I would really appreciate some help on the explicit filtering aspect. I have had a look at the 2 liner explanation on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb955092.aspx. I would really appreciate a bit more detail and help please. I am trying to create a report that shows all contacts and their types for an account therefore need to pass the account name /id as a parameter. The report needs to be run from the acount. I really look forward to some guidance. T...

Address list filter rules
I am trying to create a new address list in Exchange 2003. What I want is all employees and all employee distribution groups. After trying several combinations I added a custom attribute to each employee and to each employee distruction group and entered "Employee" as the value. I then created a new address list with the filter rule which said if the custom attribute 1 = Employee include in the list. Everything is fine except that Query based distribution groups do not show up. So I create a new address list and found that using any filter rule rejects all query based distributi...

filter
i have two data columns how can i get the common result ? "Win" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote > .. i have two data columns > how can i get the common result ? One way .. Assuming data is in cols A & B, from row2 down Put in C2: =IF(A2="","",ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,B:B,0))) Copy down till last row of data in col A (Above compares col A against col B) Put in D2: =IF(B2="","",ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,A:A,0))) Copy down till last row of data in col B (Above compares col B against col A) Put 2 labels into C1:D1, and do an autofilter on cols C &...

Filtering records
We merged 2 columns together , but after we did alot of work we realized that some cells are missing a few right charchters is there anyway to run a filter & fix or mark those records seperatley Well, there's ways to do all kinds of weird things in Excel, but we would need more details in order to offer specific help for your case. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "dk" wrote: > We merged 2 columns together , but after we did alot of work we realized that > some cells are missing a few right charchters is there anyway to run a filter > & fix or mark those r...

Winusb composite device
Hi, Possibly not a winusb specific question, but it is possible to have 1 single winusb based device driver for a composite usb device (2 interfaces)? Can this be achieved via 1 single INF file, or do I need 2 seperate (albeit very similar) ones? I've been looking at http://www.cygnal.org/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001050.html which seems 2 suggest I'll need 2, which I'd like to avoid? Also is it possible to have my composite usb device appear as a single entity within the device manager as long as you want the 2 interfaces to be isntalled in the same device class, yes ...

Email report that is filtered to one record
I have a database that has three different forms. To navigate from one form to the other and keep the same record, I have an [Event Procedure] set up. Additionally, to print the report for the one recored, I have another [Event Procedure] that filters the report to the record that is displayed. The procedure is as follows: Private Sub printallpages_Click() If Me.Dirty Then 'Save any edits. Me.Dirty = False End If If Me.NewRecord Then 'Check there is a record to print MsgBox "Select a record to print" Else str...

Dynamic filters on a report
Hi, What I am trying to acieve is an on-screen report with user-selectable filters. The app is a detention-logging system for a school. What I want to be able to do is to see a summary of all of the detentions for the school, but allow the user to filter this down to either a particular year group or even a particular tutor group. I also want them to be able to alter the date-range for the report. What I'd ideally like to do is to have a form do this, but forms don't seem to support grouping of data and I can't have a sub-form on a continuous form. I have two (current) pro...

Auto filter
I have 350 rows of data and if I have excel filter down the rows of data using Data/Filter/Autofilter. How do I get excel to add just the visible columns of data and not to include everything else not filtered. Thank You Hi Shorty, Use the worksheet SubTotal function. For example: =SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A100) See Excel help for details. --- Regards, Norman "Shorty" <Ahoy28@dodgeit.com> wrote in message news:UXXHe.1110$fJ1.718@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... >I have 350 rows of data and if I have excel filter down the rows of data >using Data/Filter/Autofilter. How...

Intelligent Message Filter Filters outgoin mail
I have Exchange 2003 SP2 installed. Whe have to send some mails out in a very spec. Form. When we send those e-mails our own exchange server filters them out with a level 7 . Is it possible to configgure message filtering so it DONT filters our outgoing mail? ...

Filter for bad email addresses
I am not a spammer but I do have a customer who has given me I a column with 1200 email addresses in it. The person that entered these emails sometimes includes or misses one of the following items. - an extra space - a missing period before the .com (or .net, etc) part of the email - no @ symbol Does anyone know of a function I could use to pull out any emails that have one of these problems? If I can do that then I can send those back to him with a note to fix. Thank you very much. You should be able to get rid of the extra space with TRIM and place the . before com net etc wit...

Filtering question
Is there a way to expand the filter option so that it shows 1 row (or more), both above and below any row that contains the value I am looking for? Data|filter|autofilter examines each cell/row on its own. Maybe you can put the key value for each group on the rows you want. Then filter by that column. richzip wrote: > > Is there a way to expand the filter option so that it shows 1 row (or more), > both above and below any row that contains the value I am looking for? -- Dave Peterson ...

Using <> in Advanced Filter criteria
I have a list of data that I want to separate based on a customer type. I want all customers with a type of "HOSPITAILITY" or "HOTEL" separated onto a new tab and then I want all customers that don't have a customer type of "HOSPITALITY" or "HOTEL" separted onto a different tab. I added a criteria range with these two values in it and the first filter works without any problems. However, I can't figure out how to tell Excel to separate the remaining records based on the customer type being <> "HOSPITALITY" or "HOTEL"...

Filtering lookup views
I understand that it is not possible to customize or filter the standard lookup view. But I have a situation where I need to filter the available options from which the user can choose. Details: I have created a Bank Account custom entity. Each Account has one or more Bank Accounts. When creating an order the user specifies which Bank Account is to be used to direct debit from. So I need to constrain the options to list only the Bank Accounts for the Account that is making the order. I cannot risk one customer being direct debited for someone elses order! If I can't do this ...

Combo filter
Hi all, Imagine this CONFIG r1 r2 r3 r4 COL 11 200 NA NA 400 22 NA NA NA NA 33 NA NA NA NA 44 500 400 500 900 This is the way my data is presented. I have a list of around 40 part and each part has this price structure attached. "Config" is col F- and "COL" 11-44 exists for each part. Total of around 300 rows. F-I an all rows is range called "PRICING" What im trying to achieve is to have a user form on opening with 2 combo boxes "CONFIG...

Creating a filter for a Yahoogroup
I want to create a filter for Yahoogroup emails that I receive. Specifically I want to be able to mark my own emails that I post to the group as "read" and to move them to the deleted items folder. I created one that filters on specific text in the recipient's email address. ie. part of my email address. Then I filtered on specific text in the subject field, which is the group that is inserted into the subject text. I then tell the filter to "delete it". There's a "delete permanently" option. I'm assuming that the first one merely moves it to the Del...

filtering spending by category pie chart
Is there a way to filter out a category in the spending by category pie chart? For example, I would like the reimbursed job expenses to not show up on the pie chart, since those expenses do not really indicate my spending habits/distribution. I found my own answer "Ken D" wrote: > Is there a way to filter out a category in the spending by category pie > chart? For example, I would like the reimbursed job expenses to not show up > on the pie chart, since those expenses do not really indicate my spending > habits/distribution. On Mar 6, 12:32 am, Ken D <Ken D...

How do I filter or sort by cell shading?
I have been sent a 2000 row report with just the pertinent rows highlighted by solid color shading (about 300 rows scattered throughout). Is there a way to filter down to just those rows that are shaded, or to at least sort to those rows? Have a look here http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "urnojfk" <urnojfk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Help with Message Filtering & BCC
I'm sorry if my orginal post wasn't clear enough, so I'll try to elaborate. A.adds cc or bcc automatic settings options I would like to set up a bcc to an email address that automatically does so when I send a message. With Outlook 07, I have to do it manually each time. Whereas with Thunderbird, you can preselect whom you want to bcc messages to. Each time you send a message it does it automatically. B. manages the message filter options something like Mozilla Thunderbird I'm having a real problem managing my message filters using Outlook. I have many folders representing ...

WinUsb timing issue
Hi, We are trying to use WinUsb to communicate with our own hardware device. However, we're experiencing strange timing issues, where regularly the driver fails to retrieve the reply from the hardware device. The same code works fine with another driver, which is just a build of the bulk USB driver sample from the DDK. One difference between the two drivers is that WinUsb requires the handle to be created with the FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED attribute, while the other driver is not. This sounds like a good reason that we would get these timing issues, because that allowes mul...

Advance filter not working #2
I have data lik Sr. no., Date, name, bill no., item, rate, bill amoun When I use advance filter with above data it works some times only I have created criteria range in A1: B7 and data are A3:B135 when I put criteria in name it works some time and after some days data done not return any information about name and other data Any help Shital Sha ...