Virtual HID (keyboard and mouse) driver

Hello,

I wish to develop 2 drivers. One will act as a virtual keyboard and the
other as a virtual mouse.

Can I start from the vhidmini sample? (src\hid\vhidmini -- it's not
available in the lastest WDK, but it's in 6001.18002). From my understanding
this is a miniclass driver that should work with kbdclass and mouclass, the
class drivers for keyboards and mice. Basically all I would need is to
generate IRPs for the class drivers to process, right?

I never worked with HID, from my understanding HID drivers don't get IOCTLs,
that's why, if you need to comunicate with the driver, you need to do it some
other way. The vhidmini sample implements such a way. Also, never working
with HID, I don't really know what/how to generate the IRPs.

One thing I don't understand is how such a driver would work with multiple
sessions.

Thanks in advance for any resources and documentation!

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

I decided to start from the vhidmini sample but I can't install it on Windows
7 32 bit.

Y:\ws\kernel\vhidmini>devcon install vhidmini.inf
"{D49F883C-6486-400a-8C22-1A9EF48577E4}\HID_DEVICE"
Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are updated...
Updating drivers for devcon failed.

I checked the logs at:

%windir%\setupapi.log
%windir%\setupact.log
%windir%\setuperr.log
%windir%\inf\setupapi.app.log
%windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log

and I have found this in %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log

>>>  [Device Install (UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices) - “{D49F883C-6486-400a-8C22-1A9EF48577E4}\HID_DEVICE”]
>>>  Section start 2009/12/04 15:23:58.556
      cmd: devcon  install vhidmini.inf
“{D49F883C-6486-400a-8C22-1A9EF48577E4}\HID_DEVICE”
     dvi: Set selected driver complete.
     dvi: {Build Driver List} 15:23:58.618
     dvi:      Searching for hardware ID(s):
     dvi:           “{d49f883c-6486-400a-8c22-1a9ef48577e4}\hid_device”
     cpy:      Policy is set to make all digital signatures equal.
     dvi:      Processing a single INF: 'y:\ws\kernel\vhidmini\vhidmini.inf'
     inf:      Opened INF: 'y:\ws\kernel\vhidmini\vhidmini.inf' ([strings])
     dvi: {Build Driver List - exit(0x00000000)} 15:23:58.618
     dvi: {DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV} 15:23:58.618
     dvi:      No class installer for 'Human Interface Devices'
     dvi:      No CoInstallers found
     dvi:      Default installer: Enter 15:23:58.618
     dvi:           {Select Best Driver}
!    dvi:                Selecting driver failed(0xe0000228)
     dvi:           {Select Best Driver - exit(0xe0000228)}
!    dvi:      Default installer: failed!
!    dvi:      Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this
device.
     dvi: {DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV - exit(0xe0000228)} 15:23:58.634
<<<  Section end 2009/12/04 15:23:58.634
<<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

What am I missing?

Thanks,

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

"Aram Hăvărneanu" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wish to develop 2 drivers. One will act as a virtual keyboard and the
> other as a virtual mouse.
>
> Can I start from the vhidmini sample? (src\hid\vhidmini -- it's not
> available in the lastest WDK, but it's in 6001.18002). From my understanding
> this is a miniclass driver that should work with kbdclass and mouclass, the
> class drivers for keyboards and mice. Basically all I would need is to
> generate IRPs for the class drivers to process, right?
>
> I never worked with HID, from my understanding HID drivers don't get IOCTLs,
> that's why, if you need to comunicate with the driver, you need to do it some
> other way. The vhidmini sample implements such a way. Also, never working
> with HID, I don't really know what/how to generate the IRPs.
>
> One thing I don't understand is how such a driver would work with multiple
> sessions.
>
> Thanks in advance for any resources and documentation!
>
> --
> Aram Hăvărneanu
-1
I have also tried to start it with sc.exe. I have created a service with sc
create TestSrv type= kernel binPath= \path\to\vhidmini.sys and start the
service with sc start TestSrv but it fails with:

    [SC] StartService FAILED 1058:

    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because
it has n
    o enabled devices associated with it.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

"Aram Hăvărneanu" wrote:

> [...]
> > other as a virtual mouse.
> >
> > Can I start from the vhidmini sample? (src\hid\vhidmini -- it's not
> > available in the lastest WDK, but it's in 6001.18002). From my understanding
> > this is a miniclass driver that should work with kbdclass and mouclass, the
> > class drivers for keyboards and mice. Basically all I would need is to
> > generate IRPs for the class drivers to process, right?
> >
> > I never worked with HID, from my understanding HID drivers don't get IOCTLs,
> > that's why, if you need to comunicate with the driver, you need to do it some
> > other way. The vhidmini sample implements such a way. Also, never working
> > with HID, I don't really know what/how to generate the IRPs.
> >
> > One thing I don't understand is how such a driver would work with multiple
> > sessions.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any resources and documentation!

Btw, I could install the driver with the aid of the Toaster sample (as it's
documented in the sample Readme), however, for my application I'd like to
load and unload the driver at runtime, as needed, using the the Service
Control Manager APIs.

So why are devcon.exe, sc.exe, and the Service Control Manager APIs failing?

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

"Aram Hăvărneanu" wrote:

> [...]
> > > other as a virtual mouse.
> > >
> > > Can I start from the vhidmini sample? (src\hid\vhidmini -- it's not
> > > available in the lastest WDK, but it's in 6001.18002). From my understanding
> > > this is a miniclass driver that should work with kbdclass and mouclass, the
> > > class drivers for keyboards and mice. Basically all I would need is to
> > > generate IRPs for the class drivers to process, right?
> > >
> > > I never worked with HID, from my understanding HID drivers don't get IOCTLs,
> > > that's why, if you need to comunicate with the driver, you need to do it some
> > > other way. The vhidmini sample implements such a way. Also, never working
> > > with HID, I don't really know what/how to generate the IRPs.
> > >
> > > One thing I don't understand is how such a driver would work with multiple
> > > sessions.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any resources and documentation!

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 05:34:01 -0800, Aram H?v?rneanu
<AramHvrneanu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I decided to start from the vhidmini sample but I can't install it on Windows
>7 32 bit.
>
>Y:\ws\kernel\vhidmini>devcon install vhidmini.inf
>"{D49F883C-6486-400a-8C22-1A9EF48577E4}\HID_DEVICE"
>Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are updated...
>Updating drivers for devcon failed.

I had the same problem with the installation of vhidmini. Don't type
the devcon.exe ..... command directly into the command promp, but
instead create a batch file with this command inside and run it, in
this case it worked for me.
0
Max
12/4/2009 9:28:48 PM
"Max" wrote:

> I had the same problem with the installation of vhidmini. Don't type
> the devcon.exe ..... command directly into the command promp, but
> instead create a batch file with this command inside and run it, in
> this case it worked for me.
> .

Same error.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

"Max" wrote:

> I had the same problem with the installation of vhidmini. Don't type
> the devcon.exe ..... command directly into the command promp, but
> instead create a batch file with this command inside and run it, in
> this case it worked for me.
> .

Didn't work on Windows 7, but worked on Windows 2003 Server x86. How is
running devcon.exe from a bat file any different to running it directly?

Also, I still can't load the driver with the service control manager api,
and although I can test the driver on NT 5.2 installed via bat file that
calls devcon, I need to be able to load it dynamically in my application.
Also, I need Windows Vista and 7.

Thanks,

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

"Aram Hăvărneanu" wrote:

> How is
> running devcon.exe from a bat file any different to running it directly?

I think I may have an answer, I have copied the devcon line from the docs,
and in the docs it uses smart quotes. The bat file was created manually using
normal quotes. So that's why the bat file worked. If I type correct quotes in
the command line it works as well.

However I still have all the other problems (can't load the driver with the
SCM API, doesn't work on Windows 7, etc).

Thanks,

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

> Also, I still can't load the driver with the service control manager api,
> and although I can test the driver on NT 5.2 installed via bat file that
> calls devcon, I need to be able to load it dynamically in my application.
> Also, I need Windows Vista and 7.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Aram Hăvărneanu

Have you set the administrative privileges to the devcon.exe into
windows 7? About how to load the driver the source code of devcon
program are in the DDK, you can study it for understand how this
software is able to load the driver.

regards

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 04:10:01 -0800, Aram H?v?rneanu
<AramHvrneanu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Aram H?v?rneanu" wrote:
>

>> How is
>> running devcon.exe from a bat file any different to running it directly?
>>

>I think I may have an answer, I have copied the devcon line from the docs,
>and in the docs it uses smart quotes. The bat file was created manually using
>normal quotes. So that's why the bat file worked. If I type correct quotes in
>the command line it works as well.
>
>However I still have all the other problems (can't load the driver with the
>SCM API, doesn't work on Windows 7, etc).
>
>Thanks,
0
Max
12/5/2009 1:56:44 PM
"Max" wrote:

> Have you set the administrative privileges to the devcon.exe into
> windows 7?

Yes, I am running as admin and I have disabled UAC. I checked the logs, and
with that information I was able to load the driver on Windows 7. On 2003, I
was able to install the driver with the inf file and the sys file in the same
directory, however, if I tried to do the same on Windows 7, it didn't work.
Fortunately, the logs were of great help.

> About how to load the driver the source code of devcon
> program are in the DDK, you can study it for understand how this
> software is able to load the driver.

I didn't know the source code for devcon was available. I can't find it in
the current WDK. Probably I'm not looking where I need to. The SCM API is
really simple, the problem with the fact that it doesn't work is that I don't
know what to check. Are there any logs I should look into?

Thanks,

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

you can't use the SCM to load a pnp driver.

"Aram Hăvărneanu" <AramHvrneanu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Aram Hăvărneanu" wrote:
>

>> How is
>> running devcon.exe from a bat file any different to running it directly?
>>

> I think I may have an answer, I have copied the devcon line from the docs,
> and in the docs it uses smart quotes. The bat file was created manually
> using
> normal quotes. So that's why the bat file worked. If I type correct quotes
> in
> the command line it works as well.
>
> However I still have all the other problems (can't load the driver with
> the
> SCM API, doesn't work on Windows 7, etc).
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Aram Hăvărneanu
>

>> Also, I still can't load the driver with the service control manager api,
>> and although I can test the driver on NT 5.2 installed via bat file that
>> calls devcon, I need to be able to load it dynamically in my application.
>> Also, I need Windows Vista and 7.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Aram Hăvărneanu

0
Doron
12/7/2009 7:38:10 PM
> However I still have all the other problems (can't load the driver =
with the=20
> SCM API

This is by design.

--=20
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

0
Maxim

virtual destructor
Hello, I have 2 classes; Class A and Class B. Class B is derived from Class A. I placed traced statements in both Class A and Class B destructor's. I received the same results regardless if Class B was declared virtual or not. Class B's destructor was invoked first then Class A's destructor. Are these results correct? If so, what's the purpose of declaring Class B's destructor virtual? TIA, -jacques Jacques Cooper wrote: > Hello, > > I have 2 classes; Class A and Class B. Class B is derived > from Class A. I placed traced statements in both Class A and &...

Virtualization
Just curious if any of you run/have run SQL Server in a virtual environment and what your opinion is on doing so? On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:44:25 -0500, Matthew wrote: > Just curious if any of you run/have run SQL Server in a virtual > environment and what your opinion is on doing so? Had SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V. The only thing that stood in the way was Hyper-V limitation on 4 CPUs per virtual machine. Everything else was OK. You can check out this link for more info: http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/9/4/d948f981-926e-40fa-a026-5bfcf076d9b...

Mouse up event in a button
Hi, Can you help me with this onw, I need an active-x control button that fire event in mouse down click on the button and in the mouse up click, The default button control send only click event in the mouse down pressing on it but ther is no way to know when the user release the mouse click, There is a new active x control that do that?? Can i build a new button control like a class the that derived from CButton and implement the mouse up event? how can you send me an example code??? Thanks! ...

Save hardware drivers
Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my Radeon 1650 SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000 keyboard I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete (particularly the former) so I was wondering whether it's possible to save the drivers now for future install - the driver details document all the driver files & locations but not sure how to re-install - just drop them in the right folder? It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either direct install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software instal...

display driver accelaration
hello, i have written a display device driver for wince5.0. i have overridden the FillBlt, FillText and srcopyblt16 for my hardware acceleration. it is displaying everything except icons .which function should override to display icons. or iam misssing any hardware acceleration to be done. ...

report timeout in CRM 1.2 on virtual pc (notebook)
Hi, I prepared images of mscrm 1.2 for virtual pc. On two desktop machines with 1 gig of memory, everything works fine. On a -besides this very performant- notebook with same memory specs, I get timeouts in crystal report viewer (nothing is shown and after a long while, an error message shows in the "html page" where the report should be). I increased timeout value on the "microsoft crm" II server app virtual directory to ..1800 or more: No chance. Did anyone see this happen? Any hint to resolve this? It seems to me like the disk access spped, which is much slower than on...

SW RAID-1 On Storage Virtual MiniPort
Hi, I want to develop a SW RAID-1 using Storage Virtual MiniPort driver, I hope this driver can choose two disks from system by using SCSI command, then reports a RAID-1 disk to system, is this idea could be accomplished by Storage Virtual MiniPort driver? If this idea is ok, what type of certification it need to pass from Microsoft? Regards, Perer, Hi all, I need the suggestion urgently, please give me a help, thanks. Regrads, Peter, "Peter" <peter_hsu@vasstek.com.tw> �b�l�� news:u8N5usgtKHA.3360@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl �����g... > Hi,...

Open a Combo box using the keyboard
I have a combo box on an input form which I would like to open and make the selection using the keyboard rather than turning to the mouse. This is probably some built in thing but I don't see it in Help. Thank you, ern. When the combo box has focus, F4 will drop the list down. You can move up and down through the list using the up and down arrows. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "ernie" <ernie@unspam.co.uk> wrote in message news:u8sPD705HHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have a combo box on an input form ...

Virtual Accounts?
Hi all, I would love to be able to create some 'virtual accounts' but I am not sure of firstly if it can be done and secondly how to do it. Basically I put away amounts each month for certain expenses but dont want t o have a bank account for each expenditure in order to see how much is curre ntly available for that category. I would prefer just to have one account a nd lump all the items together and then using Money have it break the curren tly levels of each down for me. e.g I put aside 100 per month for car tags. Since the car tags are only due once a year, I want to be able...

Virtual PC attributes for Mac running intel.
I have subscribed to a business newspaper that only produces graphs using activeX. With my macbook running intel I cannot view the graphs or take advantage of other features. Is there a product or a feature that will allow me to emulate a PC? I am using Office 2004 Student Teacher edition. Thanks in advance for your help. Dan In article <1181949056.659823.159420@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, "Dan@roseconsulting.biz" <Dan@roseconsulting.biz> wrote: > I have subscribed to a business newspaper that only produces graphs > using activeX. With my macbook runnin...

Wireless keyboard/mice: software, EULA and plug n play?
I have recently looked at some wireless keyboards. Some that are microsoft keyboards mention there is software included. Most sales people I talked to said wireless keyboards and mice are plug n play. I pretty much only need drivers for an operating system. Some wireless keyboards and mice say they work with XP and Vista, but don't mention windows 7. Others mention windows 7. Can I use all wireless keyboards and mice? Can I get the right drivers or are there actually limitations to the hardware with each OS? Since there is software to install I am concerned about not be...

Mouse Wheel Scrolling
How do I get my mouse wheel to scroll up and down as opposed to side to side? ...

Mouse select problem
I keep running into this problem from time to time. My mouse will act as if the shift key is pressed and selects everything between the current cursor position and the click. This manifests in VBA, in fields on the Property window and in query designer. If I restart Access the problem goes away. Sticky keys are off. Access 2003, XP Pro If I remember correctly this also happened in previous versions of Access This happens when you keep the shift key pressed for too long at a time. There is a solution to undo it that I forgot. You could search for it. My solution -- get out of the ...

Considering Virtualization
Hello Newgroup, We need to upgrade our 4 year old SBS box. I am totally new to virtualization and wondering if these circumstances warrant making the jump. We've got approx 30 users, and approx 75 mailboxes. We don't run anything extra. We're nonprofit, which means that MS licensing costs are negligable, but it also means that our IT budget is tiny - I'm here approx 10 hours a week for general support, higher level needs get outsourced. I had been considering the following path: > Get a new server, without a tape drive (old server's tape drive recen...

Question about Virtual SMTP Server Logging.
I would like to enable logging on my SMTPVS. I am wondering how long these logs are kept and what performance issues this may cause..if any? Thanks Tony MCSE The performance issue would likely be negligible. However, the SMTP logs will be kept indefinitely - you'll want to delete them once in a while. -Josh "Tony" wrote: > I would like to enable logging on my SMTPVS. I am wondering how long these > logs are kept and what performance issues this may cause..if any? > > Thanks > Tony > MCSE ...

Keyboard settings are fixed in Outlook XP
Hi Folks, When I have installed the keyboard settings for the Russian (Cyrillian) keyboard next to the German or English keyboard, I have no chance to change the keyboard settings from Russian to German or English in the adress field of an email in Outlook . It is impossible to type in a email-Adress, because I can type in the field only cyrillian letters. In the text field there is no problem to change the keyboard settings, although it is primary set to Russian and standard settings for the keyboard are in German. I'm using Windows XP as well as Office XP and I don't have such probl...

How to get the Mouse Up event for a custom activeX control ?
Hi, I am using MFC and an activeX control.. I am putting my activeX control on the form.. Now, I want to have the mouse up event for this control... like if user presses mouse key anywhere on the control and leaves that key, i want to capture that event... So, is there any way to get that using MFC... ?? Please help me.. ===== Regards, Jigar Mehta If your control is in MFC, you should get the event as you normally would using the right macros. Your control should fire an event if you are trying to capture it outside the control (host). ----------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com ...

ps2 KeyBoard Port is not working
Hi, My PS2 Key Board port is not working. I have checked it all but i think it it damaged. I have usb Keyboard but My windows is not working. I want to install the windows. How I should do this. How i could install my windows using boot mode. If your BIOS is configured to recognize legacy USB devices, you may be able to boot up with the USB keyboard. Have you tried it? "Adnan" <adnankmk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:485029c0-9852-4e15-91fa-a00c18643e49@u5g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > > Hi, > > My PS2 Key Board port is not working. I have c...

virtual listview
how can i create a virtual listview to use with large data from database do i need to create 1st the listclòtrl in the dialog or i have to create evry thing in other mode http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vcsample98/html/vcsmpvlistvw.asp?frame=true -- Regards Sheng Jiang Microsoft Most Valuable Professional in Visual C++ http://www.jiangsheng.net http://blog.joycode.com/jiangsheng/ "mido1971" <mido1971@discussions.microsoft.com> д���ʼ� news:C708C64B-D503-4562-B0CF-1A162B5230EC@microsoft.com... > how can i create a virtual listview to use with large data f...

How can I go from one tab to another without using the mouse?
How can I go from one tab to another without using the mouse? Hi, CTRL and Page up/Page down -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Cari" wrote: > How can I go from one tab to another without using the mouse? CTRL + PageUp and CTRL + PageDown will cycle you through the sheets. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:52:01 -0700, Cari <Cari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I go from one tab...

VIRTUALIZATION
Has anybody implement a virtualization with RMS? -- Akim Nasir TRCEPOS ...

CFileDialog cannot be moved in the left mouse button on MDI title
Hi all, I has problem and enigma. MDI app was created by MFC AppWizard(exe). This MDI app displays help document by F1 Key. If F1 key is pushed without help document, CFileDialog to select Help document(.chm) file is displayed. The problem occurs by operation as follows. - Delete Help Document(.chm). - You keep clicking title bar. - You push F1 key. CFileDialog is displayed. You notice that CFileDialog window cannot be moved. Would someone please help with this issue? I want to know the issue and solution. -Dev Env- Windows XP(32bit), VC6.0 SP6 -- Define -- CMainFrame class defines WinHe...

Keyboard Shortcuts
Is there any lists of keyboard shortcuts, specifically a shortcut to clear transaction in my checkbook. Thanks, Tim in Portland A search for "keyboard shortcuts" in Money help yielded the following list. But the quick answer to your question is "ctrl-M" will mark a transaction as cleared in the advanced register. "ctrl-shift-M" will mark it reconciled. Keyboard shortcuts Keyboard shortcuts allow you to quickly access and use features without using a mouse. To Press Copy text CTRL+C Insert today's date in the Date field CTRL+D ...

DMF 3.0 not working under Virtual PC or Virtual Server ?
Hi everyone, does somebody know if the DMF 3.0 won't work under Virtual PC or Virtual Server? I tried to import flatfiles (txt or csv) into MSCRM via DMF and it doesn't work at all. The CDF Staging DB has all the data from the flatfiles but the Migration doesn't work. No errors in logfile.. Maybe it's because of VPC? Any ideas? Greets from Germany, Romantischik I haven't tried it so I'm not sure, but it sounds unlikely to me that it wouldn't work on a VPC or Virtual Server. I know there are some language issues with DMF, but I'm no expert on that so ...

Problem installing driver
Hi All, When i try to install my USB driver in Windows Vista an error is displayed "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it". When i open the device manager and see the device properties code 28 "The drivers for device are not installed" is shown. This only happens only when "Windows Update" service is disabled and stopped before installation. When this service is running I do not have any problems in installing the driver. Moreover, this error happens only when i use WDK ...