Printer driver development in .Net.

Guys, I'll make this quick and a quick yes or no will do. Is it possible to
develop a printer driver using .Net 2008/2010? I'd like to open a Word
document for example, and File -> Print and select my driver. It would then
launch a UI form, get some information from the user, etc. When OK is
clicked, I'd need to save the original document to disk and create a file
containing the selected UI options. Another program will later pick up those
details and will process the files further.

Ideally, I'd like to use .Net as my C++ is quite weak! So, is it possible
and if so could someone point me in the general direction?

Kind regards.

Peter

> Ideally, I'd like to use .Net as my C++ is quite weak!

Write in C, it's easier.

--=20
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

0
Maxim
6/9/2010 11:53:17 AM
Maxim,

I can appreciate your comment but the last time I came across printer driver
development was when MS were having a barroom brawl with Sun over Java and
for some reason the original DDK had to be withdrawn and was never heard of
again? Perhaps it has been rescusitated under a different name. If there's an
official download for one could you provide me with a link? I have an MSDN
subscription which expires in a few weeks so I'd like to make a start while I
still have access to things.

I'm ok with general C but it's finding a usable sample and getting access to
the right tools that'll be my immediate problem to solve. Anything you can
advise on will be appreciated.
> for some reason the original DDK had to be withdrawn and was never =
heard of=20
> again? Perhaps it has been rescusitated under a different name. If =
there's an=20

I think WDK is easily downloadable from MS Connect.

--=20
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

0
Maxim
6/9/2010 2:02:56 PM

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote:

> > for some reason the original DDK had to be withdrawn and was never heard of
> > again? Perhaps it has been rescusitated under a different name. If there's an
>
> I think WDK is easily downloadable from MS Connect.
>
> --
> Maxim S. Shatskih
> Windows DDK MVP
> maxim@storagecraft.com
> http://www.storagecraft.com
>
> .

Thanks. I did find it and install it. Not sure what to do next but hopefully
I'll find something relevant for printer drivers in their somewhere.
the DDK is now called the WDK, it is easily and readily available for
download

"PHS"  wrote in message

Maxim,

I can appreciate your comment but the last time I came across printer driver
development was when MS were having a barroom brawl with Sun over Java and
for some reason the original DDK had to be withdrawn and was never heard of
again? Perhaps it has been rescusitated under a different name. If there's
an
official download for one could you provide me with a link? I have an MSDN
subscription which expires in a few weeks so I'd like to make a start while
still have access to things.

I'm ok with general C but it's finding a usable sample and getting access to
the right tools that'll be my immediate problem to solve. Anything you can
advise on will be appreciated.

0
Doron
6/9/2010 4:59:07 PM
PHS <PHS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Guys, I'll make this quick and a quick yes or no will do. Is it possible to
>develop a printer driver using .Net 2008/2010?

..Net is not a language.  It's just a marketing term.  C# is a language.

>I'd like to open a Word
>document for example, and File -> Print and select my driver. It would then
>launch a UI form, get some information from the user, etc. When OK is
>clicked, I'd need to save the original document to disk and create a file
>containing the selected UI options. Another program will later pick up those
>details and will process the files further.
>
>Ideally, I'd like to use .Net as my C++ is quite weak! So, is it possible
>and if so could someone point me in the general direction?

A printer driver is just a DLL, so theoretically, it is possible, but it's
going to hurt.  There are certainly no header files, libraries, or samples
to get you started.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Citrix Printer Problem
When running on our Citrix server, everytime we change companies in Dynamics the printer changes from the user's default to another printer. Anyone know how to make Dynamics stay with the default printer? We are running Dynamics Ver 7.0 and Citrix Metaframe XP Ver 1.0 on a Windows Sever 2003. Thanks Hi How is the GP client installed on the Citrx server? Are all the users using the same DEX.ini file? "JEK" <JEK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BB7F031-0E3C-4BF0-91AD-1160B34EC642@microsoft.com... > When running on our Citrix server, everytime...

Payables Cheque
When printing a payables cheque (Transactions > Purchasing > Print Cheques), after selecting Process, I am prompted to print to the screen, printer or a file. Is there a way to default this always to the printer & not even be prompted for it. Thanks Yes, in Posting Setup (Administration>Posting>Posting) select the Purchasing Series and Computer Checks Origin. In the bottom section of the window, you'll see each of the reports that print when you hit Process. You can de-select the ? to prevent the system from asking for the destination, de-select the Scre...

Printer status?
Hi to everyone! I don't know if this argument is OffTopic. Anyway I would like to seriously discuss about Getting the status of a common windows printer. I think I've read most of the threads about this argument. Most of them suggest to view an example on an MSDN article ... something like Q160129 "How To Get the Status of a Printer and a Print Job"...or anyway suggest to use the PRINTER_INFO_n structures... Well, this DOES NOT WORK!. Probably I make some mistakes... but if is true that there are some structures like PRINTER_INFO_n, that have an entry for the status... is...

Domain users cannot print on networked printer in SBS 2003 R2 netw
Hi , I have an Epson CX11NF printer networked to a server running SBS 2003 R2. The printer has been added to the server and I can print from the server. When logged onto a network client as a domain admin I can print. When logged on as a domain user on a network client I cannot print (error printing). When logged on as a domain print operator on a network client I cannot print. Domain users have the correct permissions on the server Windows Temp and Spool folders. I have the same results whether the printer properties are set for spooled printing or direct to printer printing....

PDF Printer as default GP printer
I have my PDF printer set up as my default printer. When printing a SOP Invoice - it asks me where to create the file to....is there a way to setup a default file location for the creating of PDF's? Thanks Andrea, This issue cannot be done through GP since GP is only sending the printing job to the printer, you may need to look in the application settings that created this printer. For printers created by Adobe PDF follow steps below: 1. Right click the printer. 2. Go to Advanced Tab 3. Click on Printing Defaults. 4. Uncheck "Prompt for Adobe PDF filename" Regards, -- M...

Why is printer driver receiving JPG?
Hello, I'm working on a printer driver based on the Oemuni example from the DDK. The problem is that OEMBitBlt (and other functions) are receiving jpegs as the destination source (as identified by psoDest- >fjBitmap == BMF_JPEG). In my EnablePDEV, I'm setting the DEVINFO->flGraphicsCaps2 flag to 0 (even though it should already be 0). Am I understanding the documentation wrong or should psoDst not be in jpeg format? On Jan 19, 4:51=A0pm, Agromatic <sutton1...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I'm working on a printer driver based on the Oemuni ex...

WS2003/XP/2000 Driver signing
I'm trying to sign a winxp USB driver which is for USB serial emulation using usbser.sys. If I self-sign with a local certificate, it will install without the warning and looks to be fine. When I try to install the driver signed with my Class 3 code signing VeriSign certificate, it shows that the .cat file is signed properly, but the installer says it isn't signed. I'm not sure what my problem is. I'm trying to walk through the documentation to see what I could have missed. I'm wondering if it is related to having it WHQL signed, but if that were the ca...

users should administer printers not administrators
Great Plains administration of printers (Unnecessary administration is required) Named Printers is obviously a flawed idea. The administrator of the GP program should not be involved with the user period…. The basic concept is that the administrator knows every printer in the company or multiple companies in my case, the users and where all things should print… That’s a phenomenal amount of memory required to do a simple job… As an administrator it’s best to stay out of the way of all the users needs, keep with the security issues and have as little to do with Let the user assign his ow...

tips for career developments
please visit the sites you get more informations, IT informations,downloads, etc., ************************************** www.softech35.blogspot.com www.easyinternetmoney.50web.com www.goodjobforall.blogspot.com www.skinallergymedication.blogspot.com www.latestplasmatechnology.blogspot.com www.kollywoodfreedownloads.blogspot.com www.intellprocessmakeyoufast.blogspot.com www.microsoftlatestedition.blogspot.com ******************************************* T H A N K Y O U ...

Error while synchronizing with net time server
Vista Ultimate SP2 I just noticed that my machine will not synchronize with any of the Internet time servers. It's set to do so automatically, but I see an error saying "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with [server name]. This happens is I try to sync manually, and it happens with all server (i.e. time.windows.com, time.nist.gov, time-a.nist.gov, time-b.nist.gov, time-nw.nist.gov). Suggestions? Thanks. Ken Isaacson SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller www.KenIsaacson.com Ken Isaacson wrote: > Vista Ultimate SP2 > > I just noticed...

MSPOS: Number of printers available
Refresh my memory please, why are we allowed only 2 printers for each register? I have access to 7 printers on my network, why can't I print to most of them. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/News...

Moving config from development to live system
I have a CRM 3.0 in a development environment and used ABC as the company name. I would like to move the server configuration to a live install (same domain) and then create a new "empty" database utilizing the company name ABCLive. Any suggestions on how to do this and some of the challenges that I will run into? Where is the database name and location set? I believed what you can is to restore your database as ABCLive_MSCRM, ABCLive_METABASE company, during the installation for CRM 3.0. Give your company name ABCLive company, then connect to existing database. Then you should...

Question about throttling the number of webservice calls from a .NET website
Hi, I'm currently designing a website which will be showing some course results to students at the end of their course. One of the options we want to give them is the ability to download a PDF version of their "result letter" (rather than posting it out to them, so saving money). The PDF will be generated on request for those students who want it by calling a webservice residing on another server, this will probably take a few seconds to execute (the data will have to be retrieved from the database, suitably formatted and some PDF template stuff executed...

ndislwf (NDIS 6.0 Sample Filter Driver) to monitor native wifi adapter
I have built sample Filter Driver (ndislwf) from WDK and trying to install it with INF settings HKR, Ndi,FilterClass,, Custom HKR, Ndi,FilterType,0x00010001,0x00000002 HKR, Ndi\Interfaces,UpperRange,,"noupper" HKR, Ndi\Interfaces,LowerRange,,"nolower" HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, FilterMediaTypes,,"wlan" HKR, Ndi,FilterRunType, 0x00010001, 1 ; In above INF settings FilterClass is specified as "custom", bcoz it'll have the lowest position in the stack. I've also modified FilterAttach to accept bindings with only native-WiFi adapters. With above set...

Networked Printer
We have a HP 2605dtn that is shared out on a Windows 2003 server. This week people have been complaining that PDF files take a long time to print. It prints a page, then stops, then starts back up. The driver on the server is a PCL6 driver. I have had problems in the past with PCL6 drivers, so I went to HP's site, but did not find a PCL5 driver, just a PostScript driver. I downloaded that and changed the driver on the server. Now on my PC, it's saying "printer not found on server". The share name is the same. If I change it back to the PCL6 driver, my ...

Building MFC 4.2 apps in VC .NET
Hello, is there a way to build MFC 4.2 apps in VC++ .NET instead of having to buy VC++ 6.0? I have both programs, and I tried manually replacing the MFC 7 include and library directories to those of my MFC 4.2 directories, and then manually linked them, but it never works. It compiles, but I always get linker errors :((. Can anybody help? Thanks G ...

44 Firmware Drivers R4 Dsi. R4i Dsi 60871
Drivers Firmware R4i Dsi . Firmware R4 Dsi nintendo http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_firmware-drivers-nintendo-dsi-r4-i-upgrade_1214985 Firmware Drivers R4i Dsi , R4 Dsi , R4i-sdhc.com fAQ.Ev#,mL(T?oj?LX!BF)njH ...

what is printer port set-up for wireless printer
I'm having difficulty printing to hp adhoc lan See http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00035871&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=305980&rule=8674 -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "arubabob" <arubabob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DC43EB1-2F98-4A40-87AD-80034B45BF59@microsoft.com... > I'm having difficulty printing to hp adhoc lan ...

How to use MFC 4.2 with Visual Studio .Net
Hi! I have recently started using Visual Studio .Net in place of Visual Studio 6.0. My application is an Active X control written in C++ with MFC 4.2. Is there a way I can force Visual Studio to use MFC 4.2 and not MFC 7.0, since the application will be deployed mostly on systems with MFC 4.2. I know I can use "static linking" but that will make the application large and I am still adamant on using 4.2 libraries rather than 7.0 to be safe. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help. Sanjay This question has started coming up a lot. The answer is simple: revert to VS6. ...

A problem with using DataGridView (.NET Windows Forms) in CDialog
I have a very simple CDialog-based application (VC++ 8.0/2005), where a DataGridView control is included through the usage of CWinFormsControl class. I experience the following problem with this application. If I switch to a different application (Alt+Tab, for example) while a grid cell is remaining in editing mode and then go back to my application, the application hangs (stops responding). The problem can be reproduced using CWinFormsControl and CWinFormsView classes, but it is NOT reproducible when using CFrameWnd and CWinFormsView classes or when using DataGrid control instead of t...

Random Users losing network printers in GP
Hello all, We are running 2 GP application servers on a Citrix environment, and randomly users are missing their network printers when trying to print. Becasue we have such tight deadlines, our users get frustrated having to log in/log out of GP to hopefully see the printers again (somtime 4-5 times). The network printers can be seen for the user on the server, however the individiual user does not have it as an option to choose in GP. SO I have ruled out the spooler. I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions? As always thanks for a response! We had a similar printer problem and solv...

2.0
One annoying problem in 1.3 was having to print a workorder to reset the default printer after viewing a transaction from POS lane with different printer. I thought 2.0 was supposed to fix this problem? ...

print copies at printer instead of sending multi-copies to printer
Does anyone know how to send 1 copy of the page to a hp color laser and have the printer itself make the copies to save time / bandwidth. I noticed that it was sending a new copy of the page for each copy. ...

Installing framework MSChart control in Web Developer Express 2010
I recently had to upgrade from Web Developer Express 2008 to 2010 (the system crashed so I lost the original installation). When I tried to run my ASP project, which was running fine in 2008, I got multiple messages saying: "Error 96 'Chart1' is not declared. It may be inaccessible due to its protection level." Chart1 is the name of my chart instance. I have never seen this before. What does it mean, and what do I need to do about it? Of course the easier solution would be to install 2008, but I do not have the install files. Thanks! On Fri, 07 May ...

printer will not printer
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have successfully installed an HP DeskJet K60 and it shows as a valid, usable printer. When I try to print a document, it appears very briefly on the "printer screen" showing that it is printing, showing me as user and the correct document name with the correct sending time. But then it simply disappears from the screen without actually printing. Nothing is left in the queue. ????? Have you checked the HP site for an updated driver? Have you installed the 10.6.1 Update? Have you repaired disk permissi...