How to stop driver loading on pci dev with wrong class code?

without (or at least in the interim prior to) re-spinning silicon.

for instance, say ven id - 0001, dev id = 0001, class code = (this is a lie)
ehci compatible
how do i modify registry so ms usb driver wont even start to load

for reasons easy to imagine i cannot wait till driver fails to load and then
disable in device manager

--
Tom Picard

dracipmot <dracipmot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>without (or at least in the interim prior to) re-spinning silicon.
>
>for instance, say ven id - 0001, dev id = 0001, class code = (this is a lie)
>ehci compatible
>how do i modify registry so ms usb driver wont even start to load
>
>for reasons easy to imagine i cannot wait till driver fails to load and then
>disable in device manager

If you pre-install your INF file, it should be matched first.  If you don't
have a driver ready, you can pre-install an INF file with a null driver.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

-Mike

"Tim Roberts" <timr@probo.com> wrote in message
> dracipmot <dracipmot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>without (or at least in the interim prior to) re-spinning silicon.
>>
>>for instance, say ven id - 0001, dev id = 0001, class code = (this is a
>>lie)
>>ehci compatible
>>how do i modify registry so ms usb driver wont even start to load
>>
>>for reasons easy to imagine i cannot wait till driver fails to load and
>>then
>>disable in device manager
>
> If you pre-install your INF file, it should be matched first.  If you
> don't
> have a driver ready, you can pre-install an INF file with a null driver.
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

0
Mike
2/25/2010 7:54:30 PM
Mike Tim thanks

what do you mean by "preloading a better ranked driver" or "pre-install your
INF file"?
Is that just  copying the inf to Windows\Inf directory?
Or maybe using devcon with the inf?

Anyway i managed to accomplish what i needed by
after os crash, remove multifucntion pci card from slot , reboot, change
"Service"="usbehci"
"Service"="Null"
at
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_0001&DEV_0001&SUBSYS_00000001&REV_00\6&6d66820&0&000000E0],
plug in card in same slot, restart
the above key must have been written prior to os crash

device manager shows a mismatch of info, but otherwise ok
I can install another driver, as long as I don't let Windows install
automatically (recommended) rather point to exact inf file
on xp, hope it is not much different on 7. . . .

--
Tom

"Mike [MSFT]" wrote:

> What's the scenario?  Are you plugging a new device into the system and
> trying to prevent PnP from installing the Inbox USB driver?  If so then
> preloading a better ranked driver is the best option.  Which operating
> system you are targeting would help as well.
>
> -Mike
>
> "Tim Roberts" <timr@probo.com> wrote in message
> > dracipmot <dracipmot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>without (or at least in the interim prior to) re-spinning silicon.
> >>
> >>for instance, say ven id - 0001, dev id = 0001, class code = (this is a
> >>lie)
> >>ehci compatible
> >>how do i modify registry so ms usb driver wont even start to load
> >>
> >>for reasons easy to imagine i cannot wait till driver fails to load and
> >>then
> >>disable in device manager
> >
> > If you pre-install your INF file, it should be matched first.  If you
> > don't
> > have a driver ready, you can pre-install an INF file with a null driver.
> > --
> > Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
> > Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

stops responding

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

Disable VBA code execution when loading a workbook
How do I control the execution of the VBA Code in a spread sheet when I first load the workbook. I would like a dialog box to ask if I want to execute the code or not whenI open the workbook? Can any one suggest a way to do that??? -- CharlesM Set your macro security to medium. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Charles" <Charles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D2A28FEC-5C65-43D6-9924-9CB256005E65@microsoft.com... > How do I control the execution of the VBA Code in a spread sheet when I first > load the workbook. > I would li...

Code not moving through messages
The code below archives my messages into a local folder. What I want to do is to have each message stamped with an 'Archived' noted so I know it has already been done and have the code skip that message. The problem I am having is that the 'Archived to" string is only inserted into the message body that I have selected when I exectute the code. If I have no messages select, none of them are altered. The messages save ok, but what am I missing that keeps the itm.Body from being updated? Sub SaveMessages() Dim OL As Application Dim NmeSpace As NameSpa...

recipient policy stopped working

is it possible to execute write to the fields in another .xsl form a macro in another .xsl? e.g. some way to load another .xsl into an .xsl macro and write to its data?
is it possible to execute write to the fields in another .xsl form a macro in another .xsl? e.g. some way to load another .xsl into an .xsl macro and write to its data? i mean xls not xsl "Daniel" <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eDjijGEeFHA.2584@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > is it possible to execute write to the fields in another .xsl form a macro > in another .xsl? e.g. some way to load another .xsl into an .xsl macro and > write to its data? > > Both workbooks are open? workbooks("book1.xls").worksheets("sheet1")...

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Signature block not automatically loading on outgoing emails
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop On every email I send, even the replies, my signature block has to be manually inserted on the email. <br> Is there a way to have the signature block automatically insert at the end of the emails? In article <59bb2e1c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>, <jmilty@officeformac.com> wrote: > On every email I send, even the replies, my signature block has to be > manually inserted on the email. <br> > Is there a way to have the signature block automatically insert at > the end ...

Unable to load files from alternate startup folder
Windows SBS 2003 Windows XP Office 2003 Dell Optiplex GX260 We are a small CPA firm running, seemingly, identical set-ups on 6 identical workstations. We load a system.xls file from a network folder (R:\Firm\system\excel\xlstart) when Excel starts through the 'At startup, open all files in:' setting in the Options|general tab. We've been loading this file successfully through multiple versions of Excel over the last 5+ years. On two of the workstations, the files in this folder have stopped loading. Additionally, we are unable to create icons to execute any of the macros in the ...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

VBA code to open cetain books
Sub GetFiles_For_Charts() Dim strMyBookEXT As String, strMyBookINT As String Dim cell As Range, MyRange As Range Dim StageStartBook As Workbook Dim IMFWs, S70Ws, IMFEXWs As Worksheets On Error GoTo ErrorHandler Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set StageStartBook = ThisWorkbook 'set this workbook as active Set IMFWs = StageStartBook.Sheets(2) 'set imf pivot data sheet:destination sheet for kpi 44 imf pivot data Set IMFEXWs = StageStartBook.Sheets(4) 'set imf ex sheet:destination sheet for kpi 15 imf ex Set S70Ws = StageStartBook....

Stopping a Campaign Temporarily
Hi, My client has executed the campaign in Jan 1st 2006 and the end date is Dec 31st 2006. But he wants to stop the campaign temporarily from 15th July 2006 and again start it from 1st Aug 2006. So what is that I need to do for this thing, i have never come across this kind of situation before. Thanks in advance. Regards, Shabbir. ...

Reply to wrong client address.
User John Public sign in name was set up at JPublic. Exchange created two smtp address: JPublic@server.local and JPublic@companyname.com. The site hosting the company domain has issued user e-mail address in the form Public.John@companyname.com. The problem occurs when someone replys to the user's message. Instead of replying to Public.John@company.com, the reply address is JPublic.com. I have made many attempt to alter the settings in Exchange, with no luck. Everything seems to return to the initial settings. What an I missing? "dcs" <dcsmn@earthlink.net> wrote: >U...

Lookup code working in RMS
Hi all, I m going to implement SO in Garments store.They are already using Look up code. Let me explain how they r. Here is the look up code example: 12122 0202 101 The first 5 digits represent item code, 2nd represent color code, 3 represent fabric code.How RMS can handle this look up code.can any1 explain me??We have Deparment & category in item maintenance form.I guess we have to make setups for COLOR & FABRIC . wat would u suggest? -- With Regards Junaid Idrees Associate Project Manager Enterprise Business Solutions 4th Floor mehdi towers,shahra-e-faisal karachi,Pakistan....

Record a class conversion
How do I record a class coversion of a security in MS$. My mutual fund converted from 2671 shares of Class B stock (@$29.91/share) to 2465 shares of Class A stock (@$32.41/share). I tried to do a stock split, but (naturally enough) it won't take a number less than 1. Maybe I should just record a sale of one and a buy of the other? Thanks Mike Collins In microsoft.public.money, Mike Collins <Mike Collins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I record a class coversion of a security in MS$. >My mutual fund converted from 2671 shares of Class B stock (@$29.91/share) &g...

Would you stop for a moment?!
Excuse me!! Would you stop for a moment?! O...man...Haven't you thought-one day- about yourself ? Who has made it? Have you seen a design which hasn't a designer ?! Have you seen a wonderful,delicate work without a worker ?! It's you and the whole universe!.. Who has made them all ?!! You know who ?.. It's "ALLAH",prise be to him. Just think for a moment. How are you going to be after death ?! Can you believe that this exact system of the universe and all of these great creation will end in in nothing...just after death! Have you thought, for a second, How to save you...

Restored emails only display html code, How to read correctly?
After a data loss the users .pst files were restored, and now any of the restored emails open but show the complete html code for the email body. Outlook 2003 will not pick this up and display it correctly using the Word editor. All new emails received after the restore are displaying properly. Opening, reading, forwarding the email just shows the complete text starting <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"> <META content="MSHTML 6.0...

Filter driver installation problem! 01-27-10
Hi, I want to load my disk lower filter driver at Windows XP installation, but it seems that the disk lower filter driver can not be loaded at Windows Text Mode setup phrase ? If only boot-start & hardware driver can be loaded at this phrase? Best Regards, Peter, Hi, I would recommend using WinUSB for forward compatibility. Asaf (Oops, wrong thread) What kind of disk is that? (IDE / USB / etc.) Asaf Hi, Since it is a disk lower filter driver, so it will see all disks including IDE and USB, is this problem about disk types? Best Regards, Pe...

Printing business cards: wrong size
I am using Publisher 2007 SP1 on Vista Ultimate x64. The printer is HP Office Jet 1140xi. I want to print business cards on Sigel LP798 2x5 cards per page. Publisher "knows" that the size of a card is 8.5 x 5.5 cm. However the printed cards have h=5.3 cm, the cards in row 5 are only partially printed living a bottom margin of 3.2 cm. This happens also when I print in PDF. When printing from other programs the bottom margin is under 1 cm. I modified the height to be 5.7 cm. Result: it prints only 2x4 cards. What am I doing wrong? Thank you very much, Are you sure of your printer...

Experts pls !!! problem in Adding items to a subclassed CListCtrl class
Hi, I am adding item to a subclassed class of CListCtrl. What is teh correct place to add items in subclassed CListCtrl Class . I did the folowing steps.Pls let me know where I am goin wrong. 1.In a MFC Doc view with Form view,dragged the CList Control in the view. 2.Created a class from the class wizard MyListtrlwith base class CListCtrl. 3.Add a message handler for OnLButtonDown for MyListtrl and added a Message Box 4.Then in resource view selected teh clistcrl and add memebr variable and this time selected MyListtrl and named it m_myListCtrl; 5.When I executed the app,I get message ...

Collection object fails within class
I'm creating a wrapper class for a collection object, mainly so I can test whether a given records exists. I'm baffled as to why I'm getting "Invalid procedure or argument" in the exists function when I try to extract the value, whether it actually exists or not. I've tried collection.item and collection(item), same result. BTW, the values are numbers that I convert to strings. Option Compare Database Option Explicit 'this class object extends the collection object to include an 'exists' boolean function Private colStatus As VBA.Collection Private S...

trouble with 32 bit print drivers on Server 2008
I am having trouble getting a couple of 32 bit print drivers loaded on server 2008. I was able to load several by adding them from a Vista client machine. I have three or four that will not install when performing the same steps. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. -- Skywalker77 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Skywalker77's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/185952.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1307006.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...