Driver "update" during development cycle and WHQL certification

Two questions in one.

First of all, I'm what's known in the game arena as an "indie"
developer.  As in I'm doing this at home on my own time, mostly as a
learning exercise.  I've downloaded the W2K3 DDK, since my desktop
system is XP, therefore it makes the most sense to develop for XP.

My environment is that I have one of these: http://www.x10.com/products/x10_cm19a.htm
and the drivers available for it have no documentation at all.
Therefore it's impossible to write 3rd party software that can talk to
it.  I've taken the Linux driver source as a reference point, and have
got to the stage that I can open the device, and the two pipes on it.

The big problem I face is the development cycle time.  Every time I
rebuild the driver, it appears I have to reboot to get it recognized.
Even though I can overwrite the old one in \windows\system32\drivers,
changes don't take effect till I reboot.  Is there a faster way to do
this, some way to tell windows to stop using the old driver and start
using the new?

If and when I update this for Vista and/or W7, WHQL is going to get to
be an issue.  So that also raises two more questions.

Firstly, on a system that refuses to load a non WHQL driver, how do
you break the chicken and egg problem? Meaning how do you build and
test the driver in the first place so you have something that can be
WHQL tested?

Secondly, once you do have a driver candidate, is it even possible for
an individual working on a driver, evenings and weekends, to get
Miscrosoft to certify something, and if so, exactly how would I go
about doing this?
0
David

First you should consider moving to a supported driver development
environment, the W2k3 DDK is 4 to 5 revisions out of date, get the Windows 7
WDK which builds drivers just fine back to Windows XP.   Second is your
driver plug and play, if so you should be able to disable the driver, then
load the new one and have it loaded (or better yet using Windbg have the
debugger load the current version every time the driver starts).   If your
driver is not plug and play you will have problems moving to anything beyond
XP.   If your driver is not plug and play, consider rewriting it in KMDF to
make if PnP.

No system will refuse to load a non-WHQL driver, 64-bit systems will refuse
to load a driver with a digital signing but this is not WHQL.  Even then,
there is a boot time option to override this behavior for a given boot. so
for debugging just choose the option while you are debugging.  You will have
a problem when you decide to release the driver for 64-bit because you need
a digital signature and that requires a company, rather than go into the
details go to http://www.osronline.com and join NTDEV there was a recent
discussion titles "Question of about globalsign and verisign"

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting

"David G" <dgnuff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Two questions in one.
>
> First of all, I'm what's known in the game arena as an "indie"
> developer.  As in I'm doing this at home on my own time, mostly as a
> learning exercise.  I've downloaded the W2K3 DDK, since my desktop
> system is XP, therefore it makes the most sense to develop for XP.
>
> My environment is that I have one of these:
> http://www.x10.com/products/x10_cm19a.htm
> and the drivers available for it have no documentation at all.
> Therefore it's impossible to write 3rd party software that can talk to
> it.  I've taken the Linux driver source as a reference point, and have
> got to the stage that I can open the device, and the two pipes on it.
>
> The big problem I face is the development cycle time.  Every time I
> rebuild the driver, it appears I have to reboot to get it recognized.
> Even though I can overwrite the old one in \windows\system32\drivers,
> changes don't take effect till I reboot.  Is there a faster way to do
> this, some way to tell windows to stop using the old driver and start
> using the new?
>
> If and when I update this for Vista and/or W7, WHQL is going to get to
> be an issue.  So that also raises two more questions.
>
> Firstly, on a system that refuses to load a non WHQL driver, how do
> you break the chicken and egg problem? Meaning how do you build and
> test the driver in the first place so you have something that can be
> WHQL tested?
>
> Secondly, once you do have a driver candidate, is it even possible for
> an individual working on a driver, evenings and weekends, to get
> Miscrosoft to certify something, and if so, exactly how would I go
> about doing this?

> signature database 4625 (20091120) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4625 (20091120) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Don
11/20/2009 7:10:21 PM
David G <dgnuff@gmail.com> wrote:

>My environment is that I have one of these: http://www.x10.com/products/x10_cm19a.htm
>and the drivers available for it have no documentation at all.
>Therefore it's impossible to write 3rd party software that can talk to
>it.  I've taken the Linux driver source as a reference point, and have
>got to the stage that I can open the device, and the two pipes on it.
>
>The big problem I face is the development cycle time.  Every time I
>rebuild the driver, it appears I have to reboot to get it recognized.
>Even though I can overwrite the old one in \windows\system32\drivers,
>changes don't take effect till I reboot.  Is there a faster way to do
>this, some way to tell windows to stop using the old driver and start
>using the new?

One viable way is to unplug and replug the device.

Another way is to use the "devcon" tool from the DDK/WDK:

    devcon restart usb\vid_xxxx^&pid_xxxx*

Substitute your own VID and PID.  The ^ is there to escape the &, which has
meaning to the cmd shell.

>Secondly, once you do have a driver candidate, is it even possible for
>an individual working on a driver, evenings and weekends, to get
>Miscrosoft to certify something, and if so, exactly how would I go
>about doing this?

No, but for complicated reasons.  In order to submit for WHQL, you have to
open a Winqual account.  To open a Winqual account, you must have a
Verisign signature certificate.  Verisign will not issue certificates to
individuals -- only to corporations.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Updates are messed up
Why is 2006 downloading updated prices on bonds with incorrect values? No other version of Money ever updated prices on my bonds. I'm having to go back and delete new prices every day!! I figured out that 2006 is retrieving Avg Cost Value instead of Estimated Price from Previous Close from the Morgan Keegan Website. Who should be the one to fix this and how can I keep 2006 from retreiving Bond prices. I've found where you can pick stocks to update, but bonds aren't listed. "dwjahj" wrote: > Why is 2006 downloading updated prices on bonds with incorrect values? ...

Internal Error Applying Updates
Using PS 2007 SP2 Aug, 2009 CU (i think) Twice now my schedule has stopped acceptiong updates from resources and the Updates page shows the following error "There was an internal error applying the update" The first time I restored an earlier version from the archive and manually updates the missing updates and the updates began to work again. This time I have again restored and earlier version however it still is not updating from PWA. Any help much appreciated Darrell When did you applied the CU. I have seen similar issue with another client of mine two...

WLPG Updated today
Old WLM: 14.0.8089.0726 New WLM: 14.0.8117.0416 Old WLPG: 14.0.8081.709 New WLPG: 14.0.8117.416 I have no idea what has changed. This should help: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/05/12/minor-update-to-essentials-released-today.aspx "osu9400" <osu9400@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eqFQQig8KHA.5716@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Old WLM: 14.0.8089.0726 > New WLM: 14.0.8117.0416 > > Old WLPG: 14.0.8081.709 > New WLPG: 14.0.8117.416 > > I have no idea what has changed. > Thanks. I just ...

Delayed Update?
Hello - I have a 'dynamic' chart where the source data comes from two drop-down boxes -- the results of these drop-downs cause different results from a VLookUp formula. Currently, when a user changes the drop-down boxes, the graph changes automatically with each box. So, if the user changes both boxes, the graph updates twice -- once for the first box, then again with the second box. I'd like to set this chart to update only after the user is ready, ie pushes an 'update' button. What property needs to be turned off (or toggled?) to prevent the graph from updating until...

Display quantity updates through Inventory Wizard on Item Movement
When you make large scale quantity updates using the Inventory Wizard, these modifications do not show up on the Item Movement report, so your inventory quantities on the Item Movement report are inaccurate. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.m...

lost update
i tried to install an windows update but i was told to try again, when ive went back try to install it i cant find it, wheres it gone? happyhols wrote: > i tried to install an windows update but i was told to try again, when ive > went back try to install it i cant find it, wheres it gone? Told by whom or what to try again ? A mysterious voice or from a message on your computer that is running Windows ________ (*which* Windows edition ?) *Which update* ? The more information you supply the more likely that you *may* receive assistance: How to ask a question ht...

Update SOP Address IDs in Historical Documents
We have a need to be able to update addresses and/or address id's on historical/posted documents. For example: if we delete an address id for a current customer, we need to be able to update any documents that posted with this address id to the new address id. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then c...

Update Guide Wanted
Hi, I'm searching more guides/documentation about upgrading CRM 3 to CRM 4, my "dream" scenario is to leave the old CRM 3 installation untouched (SQL 2005 without SP and CRM Server on Virtual Machine) for rollback, also on PartnerSource I can't find some more checklist/guide. Thanks Use the Redeployment Wizard in CRM 3.0 to create a new environment to upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0. Make sure that you create a new OU in AD for the new security groups, then you dont have to 'map' the users in the redeployment wizard. -- Bullitt Fitzhugh Independent Dynamics CRM Co...

new Updates to Office 2004/2008
I have auto update set on both 2004 and 2008. This morning 2004 was updated to 11.5.7. 2008 usually updates at the same time. Is there an update for 2008 in the offing?? -- Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it" http://www.phillipmjones.net http://www.vpea.org mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com Gee, Phillip, let me check my crystal ball :-) You know full well that nobody here has any more insight on that sort of thing than you do. We take 'emas they come just like anyone else. Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac ...

Accumulating Daily Updates
I have a sheet which has a row which gets updated with summary data from a different workbook. This update occurs each time I open my workbook, which has links to the workbook with the summary data. I currently operate by opening my workbook once each day to receive the updated values. In the same sheet where I am reading the summary data from the other workbook, I want to read that summary data on a daily basis and store the data on a separate row so that I can accumulate trend data which I want to report. Currently, I am using the current formula in each row to check if it is t...

What date is my IMF updated to?
Is there a way to determine to what date the IMF is updated? On this Exchange 2003 SP2 machine with IMF V2, there are occasional updates, such as "Update for Intelligent Message Filter for Exchange Server 2003: 2006.09.14." Is there some way to see that the IMF is using this 9/14/2006 update? Thanks. This should help. http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2005/12/14/416070.aspx "Julie" <julie@somewhere.org> wrote in message news:O33sIcR5GHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to determine to what date the IMF is updated? > > On this Exchange 2...

April 2010 Cumulative Update not Updating Farm Version.
I applied the April 2010 cumulative update (981042) to our MOSS farm with SP2 installed and showing version 12.0.0.6421. When I completed the update without errors I expected to see the version number update. My version still shows the SP2 version 12.0.0.6421. Is that normal for this cumulative update? ...

Stock Updates
For several years I was able to update stock through AOL. Now all of a sudden it will not work. It just shows a screen saying it is updating but it never ends. Anyone else have this experience and a way to resolve it? I am using Money 2002 and AOL 5.0 ...

Assigning names to a spreadsheet that updates
I have this issue with my spreadsheet. I have a spreadsheet that I update via Refresh Data. Before I refresh the data I have names assigned to a ROW. When I update the data I get more data added and the names are no longer assigned to the correct Row. how do I go about keep those names assigned to the Row? Thank you, I do not think you have defined your problem sufficiently; however, please take a look at my page on use of OFFSET http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm If your problem is from inserting/deleting rows then that probably would explain and solve your problem; other...

2004 updated apps show different versions
After running the Office 2004 11.5.2 updater (OS X 10.5.5, MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo), I notice that the version numbers seen via Get Info are different for each application: Entourage 11.4.0 Excel 11.5.2 PowerPoint 11.5.1 Word 11.5.0 Are these the way they are supposed to be? For what it's worth, I also have Office 2008 installed on the same computer. After running the 12.1.3 updater, the version for all the above applications is 12.1.3. Thank you, Charles In article <NoSpam-872A6C.13062018102008@sfo.news.speakeasy.net>, Charles <NoSpam@NoSpam.tld> wrote: > After r...

Update Not Complete
I started a new file on 3.12.05. Just this past weekend, I was unable to update the file - I couldn't download new transactions or upload payments. I've repaired the file, turned off Norton then tried to update, etc. but still no luck. Is there a common solution to this problem? I'm using MS Money 2005, with XP Pro, 512MB Ram and Norton Internet Security 2005. The windows firewall is off. Thoughts? Version # 14.0.50.1105 "Confusted in TN" wrote: > I started a new file on 3.12.05. Just this past weekend, I was unable to > update the file - I couldn'...

Window to update data in Hrm_WorkContactDetails
I have searched all through the table descriptions in GP, but cannot find any information on the table Hrm_WorkContactDetails. This table holds work phone numbers and the email address for employees. It does not appear that the Employee Maintenance Card updates any data in this field. Does anyone know where in the Payroll/HR system these fields get updated? If I am not mistaken, these tables are part of the HRM Self Service suite in Business Portal. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blo...

Computer caught in UPDATES LOOP
Earlier I tried to install fee trial NERO 10 from WWW. Did not intall and I think it was a .NET issue. Tried then to install NERO 9 Lite, that failed to install. Anyway, on boot-up I notice that Automatiic Updates wants to install 3 updates KB979909; KB974417; KB982168. These initialise and install. But sometime on turn off, PC wanted to install them again as it's turning off. Anyway, last time I unstall updates the PC turned off immediately. I thought great, but, when I boot up Automatic Installer shows same 3 updtaes to install. A loop situation here. How can I s...

automatic office updates
Is there a way to configure a PC to receive Office Updates automatically like Windows Update? Thanks. Jeff Via MicrosoftUpdate as apposed to windowsupdate, and then configuring how you update. eg automatic or download and notify "J Miller" <jmiller@*nospam*pcsdps.org> wrote in message news:456db17c$0$81355$ae4e5890@news.nationwide.net... > Is there a way to configure a PC to receive Office Updates automatically > like Windows Update? > > Thanks. > > > Jeff > > Yes. Microsoft updates does this. What version of Office do you use? -- Diane...

Update SQL 2005 table
Hi, This will be my first time to update a SQL table. Please bear with me. I need to update a table in SQL 2000 from a csv file on a daily basis. For example, table 1 has the following columns: lastname, middlename, firstname, emailaddress and they all need to be updated. What would be best way to do it and run automatically? Thank you On Tue, 11 May 2010 10:39:01 -0700, coady <coady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >This will be my first time to update a SQL table. Please bear with me. >I need to update a table in SQL 2000 from a csv file on a ...

Trigger Workflow on update of existing record
I have a requirement to trigger an action (send an e-mail) when a specific field on an existing record is updated in CRM 3.0. I have been through customization and extension classes but have yet to figure out how to do this. Anyone have any ideas that have worked for this? -- Donna R. Liotta, Master CIW, i-Net+, CNSP, IT Project+ Manager, Business Applications Visit www.ahma.org/hft for info about AHMA''s Hardlines Technology Forum. Updates cannot be used to trigger workflow. However, callouts can respond to either the pre-update or post-update events. Refer to the lastest C...

Problem with Windows Update
I have a Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition X64 SP2 with all the updates up to this week. this week it started failing on the update for KB967723. The error code is 80070003. The KB search finds nothing on this. the hyperlink on the event log entry tells me to check my spelling(?). anyone had this problem too? I tried shutting down the server to clear any problems it might have had in memory, but this did not help. the server is set for automatic update so I also re-downloaded the update manually and the installation still failed. What should I try next? IF I don't rep...

Auto Update Cell location?
I have 2 worksheet which has hyperlinks that simply point to each other. I need to insert an additional row at the top at sheet1. Clicking hyperlink on sheet 1 will still correctly "jump" to the correct cells at sheet2, but not the other way round With hundreds of links, is there any way to auto update the change cell location? ...

Update doesn't provide Bank name
My bank name appears in the list of institutions supported on the Microsoft Money website. However, the 2004 Standard CD I have doesn't show this bank. On updating from Microsoft's website, the bank still doesn't appear. What could be the problem? Thanks, FK In microsoft.public.money, FK wrote: >My bank name appears in the list of institutions supported >on the Microsoft Money website. However, the 2004 Standard >CD I have doesn't show this bank. On updating from >Microsoft's website, the bank still doesn't appear. What >could be the problem? ...

Microsoft Office 2003 Updates
I am able to download but not install the following updates - Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB975958), Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3), and Update for Office 2003 (KB907417). For each failure I receive the same error code - 0x80070643. I have tried to download the Genuine Microsoft Tool to validate my Office 2003 Software but it won't download. I have tried to use logs to find the specific error but it does not work. Can anyone help me? I am no longer able to open Outlook 2003. -- Thank you. Lucy Description of the update for Office ...