Space for recovery point (DPM 2007), file related

OK, I have found the different worksheet and different tools, web site, and
KB to calculate the sizing of DPM volumes, but I am hitting a "head
scratching" confusing something.
Let me give a scenario and please correct me when needed ;)

I have an SQL server, that I use SQL Maintenance to create BAK file, once a
day, and keeping 7 days of backup. The backup folder with all the DB are
60gig (Yes I can use DPM to backup the DB directly, but I still want to have
the SQL BAK done).
So to me, this is a simply "FILE backup", with a Replica volume of always
60gb, and new file created daily.

I set up DPM to get these files once a day (a few hours after the SQL
maintenance as runned), and figured that the recovery points would only take
the "new" files, but I am finding myself constlantly having to raise the
amount of space allocated.

So it looks like my understanding is "flawed" somewhere, since I thought
that the "recovery point volume" would have only delta's (in my case,
basically I imagined it would be only the newest bak files).
Again, going with my understanding, I calculate that I have about 8gb of
"new file" every day, and the same amout being deleted (SQL create a new file
and deleted the oldest one), and wanting to keep 14 days in the DPM, I
figured that I should set the DPM Recovery point around 115gb.

Have I correctly "assumed" or am I missing something somewhere to correctly
calculate the recovery point volume?

Thanks in advance for any help/pointer

        Yes this is expected, though you are overwriting an existing SQL
backup(on 8th day you might be over writing/deleting 1day backup) file on
the protected server that file contents will be completely different from
its original file. But on the DPM side you want the backups to be available
for 14 days, so when you are deleting/overwriting the 1st day backup on 8th
day, DPM needs to keep a copy of 1st day backup because you want to have
backups 14 days backups on DPM. So it will be almost twice that of the space
required on DPM to keep the 14 days backup. You may argue that to store 8th
day backup DPM should take disk space required to store the difference
between 1st and 8th day backups. But SQL don't do any optimizations align
the 8th day backup with 1st day backup. Hence the backup ends up using disk
space as much as a required for fresh backup space. But if you protect SQL
with DPM directly you just need 1 full day backup + 14 days of
incremental(Here each incremental needs disk space approximately equal to
the difference between two backups on SQL database). Hope this helps you
understand the SQL backups and DPM backups.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"Serge Ayotte" <SergeAyotte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK, I have found the different worksheet and different tools, web site,
> and
> KB to calculate the sizing of DPM volumes, but I am hitting a "head
> scratching" confusing something.
> Let me give a scenario and please correct me when needed ;)
>
> I have an SQL server, that I use SQL Maintenance to create BAK file, once
> day, and keeping 7 days of backup. The backup folder with all the DB are
> 60gig (Yes I can use DPM to backup the DB directly, but I still want to
> have
> the SQL BAK done).
> So to me, this is a simply "FILE backup", with a Replica volume of always
> 60gb, and new file created daily.
>
> I set up DPM to get these files once a day (a few hours after the SQL
> maintenance as runned), and figured that the recovery points would only
> take
> the "new" files, but I am finding myself constlantly having to raise the
> amount of space allocated.
>
> So it looks like my understanding is "flawed" somewhere, since I thought
> that the "recovery point volume" would have only delta's (in my case,
> basically I imagined it would be only the newest bak files).
> Again, going with my understanding, I calculate that I have about 8gb of
> "new file" every day, and the same amout being deleted (SQL create a new
> file
> and deleted the oldest one), and wanting to keep 14 days in the DPM, I
> figured that I should set the DPM Recovery point around 115gb.
>
> Have I correctly "assumed" or am I missing something somewhere to
> correctly
> calculate the recovery point volume?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/pointer

0
Praveen

Switch off date autotext in Outlook 2007
When I type a date in Outlook 2007 a date autotext option appears – how do I switch this feature off in Outlook 2007? ...

Sync with outlook 2007
I have the T-mobile Wing Pocket PC. I work at a university and could sync with my computer to get my campus email by Microsoft Exchange Server. It worked perfect. Now the school has upgraded to 2007 and now I can not sync. Phone will not sync with computer. WHY? What can I do. I can hook the phone to the computer and it reads each other but will not sync Outlook 2007. Says it can not find server but I got the server info from our IT department. HELP? "gwhite" <gwhite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3D3552D-94DC-45B8-8407-5DCEC48C11D2@microsoft...

How to show all room resources Outlook 2007
I currently have an Exchange 2003 Environment with Outlook 2007 clients. We have several accounts setup as resources and the auto accept agent enabled and accounts are configured as resources. We have about a dozen configured. In Outlook 2007, when I select CALENDAR, and then, PLAN A MEETING, I want all users to be able to see all the room resources once they open up the PLAN A MEETING window. Currently you would have to schedule a meeting, then at the bottom select the RESOURCES button to add the resource to the PLAN A MEETING window. I want all users to be able to see ALL the r...

Outlook 2007 will only receive my yahoo mail, not send.
I just installed Office 2007 Ultimate. I have a Yahoo! account so I when I setup Outlook I put in my Yahoo! info. It immediately imported all my mail from my Yahoo! inbox. BUT it won't send any of my mail. It keeps trying I guess, but even though I am pressing the "send/receive" button, it doesn't send. What do I need to do to send mail from Outlook which is via Yahoo!? ...

Possible to insert PDFs in Publisher 2007 (or earlier)-pages?
Hello, I was wondering if it's possible in Publisher, to insert highres PDFs? For example, when layouting pages for a magazine, I want to insert a 1/4 page advertisement-PDF. This is possible in InDesign, but I can't find how to do this in Publisher, neither 2003 nor 2007. Best regards Nadine Schmidberger Nadine Schmidberger wrote: > I was wondering if it's possible in Publisher, to insert highres PDFs? For > example, when layouting pages for a magazine, I want to insert a 1/4 page > advertisement-PDF. This is possible in InDesign, but I can't find how to do...

Excel 2007 Sheet with rows more than 15000
While working with excel sheets having rows more than 15000 lines, sometimes I observe that the processing is slowed down if data more than 15000 lines is selected. However the work is takes very less time if number of rows selected are less than say 12000. I have 2GB RAM, Can someone help me on this issue? I'm not sure what type of help you're looking for. Excel 2007 is what it is, and you either need to select more than 15,000 rows or you don't. Other than purchasing and installing more RAM on the computer or buying a newer, faster computer with tons of RAM I'm not s...

Paragraph spacing is off
I copied an article from online and pasted into word. The article was single spaced, with a double space between paragraphs. In word, I attempted to change it to double spacing, but there is a triple space between paragraphs. I've tried to get rid of the triple space between paragraphs, but I can't. I want it all to be double spaced, within paragraphs and between paragraphs. How can I get this to happen? Help please! On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:49:01 -0800, gfswolf <gfswolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I copied an article from online and pasted into word....

Moving, converting and shrinking DPM volumes
Hello all, I could use a little help with a couple of questions about DPM volumes. Here is a little background on our current setup. We are running DPM 2010 RC on Windows 2008. We are protecting 1 file server. We have 2 custom DPM volumes 1 recovery (7TB) and 1 replica (12TB) each on their own disk array. 1.) I know that you can use MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM to move volumes but is there a way to move just a replica or recovery point volume and not a pair at the same time? The guide to that script suggests it needs to move both volumes. Right now I have 2 custom volumes one...

Spaces
Hi all, I've a field in my form called SR where users should copy a serial number and paste it in this field,I'm worried because some users copy space at the end or at the beginning of this serial,is there a way to make sure that users input this serial without spaces? Ini the AfterUpdate event of the text box, put code to remove all of the spaces: Private Sub SR_AfterUpdate() Me.SR = Trim(Replace(Me.SR, " ", "")) End Sub Alternatively, you could put code into the BeforeUpdate event to make them retype it if they haven't done it correctly: Priva...

Extra White Space Between Cells #3
I have several lines of text in two merged cells one above the other and it appears to be spaced correctly, but when I print (or even print preview) there is an extra line space in the document. When I adjust it to print correctly it doesn't all appear on the screen. What am I doing wrong? I need both view and print. Thanks for any help. ...

Exchange DST 2007 Update Step-by-step Instructions!
Okay all here is a step-by-step procedure I used to install the Daylight Savings Time family of patches from Microsoft including KB931866, KB930879, Outlook Daylight Savings Time Tool, and KB926666. Forgive me if I leave anything out, I tried to hit all of the major points. I had six Exchange servers to update: (3) Front-ends, and (3) Back-ends. 1. Install KB931836 on all Windows 2003 Exchange Servers. The Exchange server will have to have Exchange SP2 installed. 2. I created a new user in AD and gave him Exchange View Only Privileges. Then using ADSIEdit I granted the user ...

How can I reduce the white space in the footnote section?
Word 2007 When I make footnotes a section is automatically created above the footer and with a short left-aligned horizontal line separating it from the main text body of the page. There is a large white space between the first footnote and the horizontal line above it. How can I reduce this white space? Thanks for any help you can give. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm for information on formatting the footnote separator, which appears to have acquired some Spacing After or perhaps an empty paragraph following. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft ...

DPM 2010RC jobs "hangs" after network failure
Well, when network failure occurs some of DPM jobs somehow "hangs" i.e. size of transfered data remains unchanged for hours and hours or some jobs shows as running but doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas how to make DPM behave nicely? Pls take the dumps of dpmra.exe both on the PS and DPM Servers and post them to seshagiri dot kv at microsoft.com. The dumps need to be taken in the hung state itself so that we can debug the issue. If the zips of the dumps end up huge to be transferred over an e-mail, let me know. Thanks, Seshagiri [MSFT]. This posting is provided &qu...

How to start using the 3D visioner in Visio 2007
When I click on the 3D Visioner on the top tool bar nothing happen?? When I bought my copy it was for WinXp and v2003. Mine doesn't work on v2007 either. al "Warriorbird" <Warriorbird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA0241DD-8209-4E66-9324-B5154AFD2736@microsoft.com... > When I click on the 3D Visioner on the top tool bar nothing happen?? ...

open a 2002 file format with Access 2000
My database was created from Access 2000 and then was converted in Access 2002 format. My german colleague has only the Access 2000 software, so she obtained the following message "this database shows an unknown format, it has probably been created with a later version of access, you should update your access version". The problem is that, even after the use of the Access tool "converting into the previous version", she gets the message "could not create the database window, please update to a new version of internet explorer". I don't see what IE has ...

Outlook 2007 on Vista Shuts down when opening mail.
I have Office Enterprise 2007 on Vista Business running both a pop account and an exchange account. I only use exchange (SBS 2003) to share a public calendar and contact list (no email) with 3 other users. When I open Outlook and it is receiving messages (I have the reading pane open) it will sometimes just shut down with no warning. When I reopen Outlook the reading pane is closed. If I reopen the reading pane it works fine for a while and then it happens again. I run AVG Antivirus without the Outlook add in. I just run the pop account filter. I run the Office 2007 Junk filter. -...

.tmp files #2
Many users are facing a particular challenge in Office Excel When saving files a .tmp file is also saved in the same folder. These files then have to be manually deleted causing the 'bin' to be full of .tmp files Turning off the anti-virus appears to stop this problem There must be a better answer and solution. Terry, This might be a better question asked toward the AV maker. Maybe they have a discussion board at their site or a FAQ that you could browse. But if the problem goes away when you turn off the AV, then I don't think it's excel's fault. On the other hand, ...

Extra White Space down Side of page
i have a standard A4 word doc with a page border - the border and information within are fine however recently when i opn document there is an exra inch of page on the right hand side its just white space. the border stays in and doesnt move out, the white space just appears after about 5 seconds when you open the document. it looks like i need to move all info and borders outwards to make it even but everything wont go out the far and the rulers at the top arent recognising the extra space either. When printing the extra space remains. i have looked at page broders, margins ...

DPM 2010 RC Hardware VSS writer
I have a Dell AX4-5 fibre channel SAN with two Dell poweredge R905 servers running server core r2 with hyerv installed. I have the dell hardware vss writer installed on the two servers are there any other steps i need to complete to get dpm 2010 to use the hardware provider? Thanks Gary No further steps needed to configure. DPM will use the hardware VSS provider if it is installed and supports hardware snapshots. -- Thanks Shyama Hembram This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Gary" <Gary@discussions.micr...

File problem in Outlook Express.
My outbox message do not go to the sent file but stay in the outbox with a message noting the the mail could not be sent. Yet even the messages are marked that they did not go out, they in fact are sent properly and still are stuck in the outbox and do not get to the set messages box. What do I have to do to correct this problem. Looking forward to some help Sincerely Isaac Thaler Create a new Outbox, and Sent Items folder. Do the following for the Outbox, and Sent Items after you move any messages you wish to save to a local folder you create. Tools | Options | Maint...

Outlook 2007 message Recovery
URGENT HELP NEEDED Looking for a tool that can extract messages from outlook 2007 files, have tried repair but failed Is this the origonal data file, that was working? Does this mean you cannot open the data file (pst)? Repair, was this scanpst.exe? "Ben Ramsay" <benramsay@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:DAF7DABC-E48E-4926-B099-2C1B0CFFA1C3@microsoft.com... > URGENT HELP NEEDED > > Looking for a tool that can extract messages from outlook 2007 files, have > tried > repair but failed > No, it is a recovered file, yes i can't open it becaus...

Update when opening in 2007
When I open a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 I get a prompt to either update or don't update. I do not get the prompt when I open the same spreadsheet in Excel 2007. I opened Excel Options, selected the Advanced Tab and under the general section I selected (check marked) Ask to update automatic links. I still do not get the prompt. -- jgreaud ...

double spacing table in excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC How can you double space the cells, lines, or whole tables within excel 2008? Does this change to double space a cell where text wraps to two lines? <br><br>Thanks. Excel does not have any specific line spacing option such as found in a word processing program, but here are a couple of usable workarounds: 1] Format the cell's Vertical Alignment to Justify then adjust the Row Height to emulate the amount of 'line spacing' you want, or 2] Use Option+Command+return twice to (a) force a...

Common Quickparts for Word 2007 and Outlook 2007 ?
Hello group! How are you? I'd like to have a common Quickpart database for both Word 2007 and Outlook 2007, is there an easy way to do this? Thanks Gz ...

Outlook email changes spacing from single space to double space
When composing message (using Word as the default), the single space will change to double space when I send the email. In other words, when I want to show a single space between paragraphs, I get a double space when I hit "Send" Outlook version 2003 "Bocephus" wrote: > When composing message (using Word as the default), the single space will > change to double space when I send the email. In other words, when I want to > show a single space between paragraphs, I get a double space when I hit "Send" ...