Some more DPM 2010 client questions

If a client laptop is in the middle of backing up a large set of data (50GB)
and goes offline or the user shuts down or gets disconnected somehow, how
does it resume? Will is start again from the beginning or pickup where it
left off.

Is there a way to offset the clients sync/recovery point time. If you were
put 100 clients in one protection group you wouldn’t want them all to hit the
server at the same time for backups.

        It will continue form where it had left for partially backed-up
files. There is no way to offset the sync jobs but one can specify at what
frequency the clients should sync their data to the DPM. The default is 4
hours and can be changed based on the need. If the client has not synced
from the past 4 hours it will do a sync job with DPM. Apart from this DPM
has a job throttling to avoid performance degradation when too many client
machines triggering backup at the same time.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If a client laptop is in the middle of backing up a large set of data
> (50GB)
> and goes offline or the user shuts down or gets disconnected somehow, how
> does it resume? Will is start again from the beginning or pickup where it
> left off.
>
> Is there a way to offset the clients sync/recovery point time. If you were
> put 100 clients in one protection group you wouldn’t want them all to hit
> the
> server at the same time for backups.

0
Praveen

Address list questions
I have a new exchange 2003 on Win 2003 Server. I'm a bit puzzled by address lists and I have a few questions: 1. Would it break anything if I deleted any of the standard address lists? (All users, All contacts etc.) 2. Some of my address lists display no members when I view them via the address book in Out look 2003 (Tools -> address book -> show names from the: -> All users) . When I user the Exhchange system manager and look at the properties of the address list and preview, I see the list. This is really peculiar because the global address list as well as onle of my custom a...

Setting Right margin in Onenote 2010
Onenote 2010 is great but I haven't figured out how to set the right margin in a note. Here is a screenshot shpwing the problem. I would like to set the margin closer to the right side of the page. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1174390/Screenshot.jpg When I click on a text box, i can't seem to widen it. When I go to View|paper Size, I want to use Auto paper size so the note keeps growing in length. When I select this option, all the other boxes are grayed out. Any help appreciated. Bob On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:37:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob <ralvarez@spambob.ne...

List of Categories in Outlook 2010
Is there any way of getting a printable list of categories assigned in Microsoft Outlook 2010? e.g. to allow the list to be fine-tuned and or for colleagues to also have the same categories available TIA! I would do a print screen, personally. The following macro in Outlook should work to produce a list of categories in a Word document. Set a reference to the Microsoft Word object library in the vba editor (Tools > References). Although aimed at Word the principles shown at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm apply to Outlook also should you not know what to do with macro lis...

What about DPM 2010 Rc
Anyone use 2010 RC in a production environment? I've put it on a VM to look at it, and it would be nice to use it in production. My Number 1 Reason To Upgrade >>> Can Disable Daily Tape Backups for Saturday and Sunday What's your reason(s) for upgrading? How is it working out for you? Yes. 6 protection groups, 10 servers, 20 vms on a 6 node hyper-v cluster with csv. Runs great. A few quirks here and there but overall great. A far cry from our last backup solution. I basically set it and forget it. Check it when I get in to the office in the morning. ...

Are ribbons created in Word 2010 backward compatible to Word 2007
I understand that creating tabs/ribbons in Word 2010 is much easier than in word 2007. Are they backward-compatible from Word 2010 to Word 2007? ...

DCM for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010
Does anyone know if a DCM pack is available for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010? If you are looking for System center configuration management pack for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 they are available for DPM health monitoring. If you want DPM 2010 Management pack please mail me at praveend-at-microsoft-dot-com. The closest answer to DCM pack for DPM would be DPM's Best practice analyzer guidelines which can be downloadable from DPM sites. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John H" <JohnH@di...

DPM Console crash
Hi there, In our DPM setup we have a created a filter to disable the weekend back-up. It was working fine till a couple of weeks a go. Now when we want to change the date in the filter the DPM console crashes. Does anyone has a solution for this problem? Witch errlog should we troubleshoot Regards, MihaiM Hi MihaiM, You can look at the error logs for UI at: DPM Install location \ temp. Paste the error logs excerpt about exception here or send the error logs to MUKULS [AT] MICROSOFT [DOT] COM -- Thanks and Regards Mukul This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Rules/Actions question for specific situation in Outlook 2007
Hello, I'm trying to make sure that certain e-mails I send are sent through a specific non-default account. I sometimes forget to manually set the account I'm sending from, and wish to make sure I catch my mistakes in certain cases. What I can do so far is set up a rule to check all e-mails from my default send account for a couple of words (this works for me, I can manually deal with superfluous e-mails being caught in the rule based on words), and if any of them are found, send a copy to my Drafts folder and delay sending by 120 minutes (the max allowed). Instead of copying ...

Check your email from IE client
When I am on the road, it would be very nice if I could check my email from the IE client and not have to use a VPN to connect to the office, then open Outlook. LDB ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/N...

Formula question
I need help with getting a formula to work. I have a spreadsheet that add time accured and subtracts time used... what I need is for it to stop and not continue to add accured time if the max is reached. Thanks for any help offered. If the accurals are in column A and the used are in column B: =MIN(SUM(A1:A100)-SUM(B1:B100),1234) where 1234 is the max -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 "Roberta" wrote: > I need help with getting a formula to work. > > I have a spreadsheet that add time accured and subtracts time used... what I > need i...

Outlook 2010 Beta access to internet
I just downloaded and installed Office 2010 Beta. Everything appears to work normally except that Outlook can't access the internet unless I turn off my firewall. I am using Windows live One Care. Can anyone explain and help? -- Thanks for your help Recreate the exception for Outlook to pass through your firewall. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "LesHurley&q...

interesting question about workflow
Hey guys , Is it possible to get all open activities by single e-mail at 8.30 in the every morning with the help of workflow manager? If no then any alternative solution? regards Aami ...

Backing up CCR Passive node with DPM (block level)?
Hello Please check the link from the technet forums I posted. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/fb88bed7-c024-4585-b58d-a8ef58176fc4 Suggested to check out the new threads instead. Basically there is an option in DPM to always choose the passive node in a CCR cluster. I've heard there is a problem though where a consistency check is required and it can transfer up to 90% of the data. Why is DPM doing a block level? Isnt it easier to just check the log files and the database files instead? I'm not an exper...

Data Validation Question #7
Thanks Jaun & JMP, Both aborrations make sense to me now. Thanks for taking the time to help and educate. Casey -- Casey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4545 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=267647 ...

2 questions #5
hi, can I use a barcode scanner with excel to enter in data? Failing that is this possible in excel - have 300 items (people), enter some of their numbers in a box at the same time e.g 5,99,24,56 this would then enter the current time into a field on each of their rows? Is this to much for excel or am I looking at access? Basically we are having a 24hr bike race for charity, each team/person would do a lap, so need start, stop and lap counter data. thanks andym Hi Andy, A barcode scanner is essentially a keyboard. so the answer is yes it can be used to enter data into Excel. I don'...

DPM to DPM untrusted
Hi There, I'm trying to find out if in DPM 2010 a DPM to DPM backup is supported across untrusted domains? From my reading it appears to not be supported but this is a pretty common/useful scenario for a number of companies. If this is supported can the one DPM server backup multiple DPM servers from multiple untrusted domains? Thanks One way to solve this is by establishing a two way trust between the DPM machines domains. But protecting two different servers without trust between the servers domains in not supported. We will consider this in future DPM releas...

How do change all my server-side rules to be client-side?
I created a bunch of rules to block spam and they were all made into server side rules. For some reason I can only create 50 rules. Anyway, I'd like to make them into client-side rules. Hopefully I'll be able to create as many as I want. Captain Snuggles <seanpatricksteele@gmail.com> wrote: > I created a bunch of rules to block spam and they were all made into > server side rules. For some reason I can only create 50 rules. > Anyway, I'd like to make them into client-side rules. Hopefully I'll > be able to create as many as I want. You won't be abl...

unable to back up using only tape (without disk) with secondary DPM
I have setup a secondary DPM with only tape capabilities (no disk available). When I tried to create a new protection group on the secondary DPM, I unchecked the short term option (disk) and only select the long term option (tape), the "Next" button will get greyed out. Any ideas why is this happening? It happens to all except when I try to protect the Primary DPM or protect itself (secondary DPM). Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice C# .NET Windows Task Scheduler http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9f75423c-4849-4866-ad48-8fbd2ed2ed88/c-...

QUESTION: Printing Odd/Even??
Word gives an option, at print time, to print odd/even pages... I don't see such a choice in Publisher 2002. How can I print all the even pages... turn the paper over and then print all the odd pages???? Thanks in advance, Steve Steve wrote: > Word gives an option, at print time, to print odd/even pages... I > don't see such a choice in Publisher 2002. > > How can I print all the even pages... turn the paper over and then > print all the odd pages???? > > Thanks in advance, > Steve My printer gives me that 'Option" hope yours does too ;-) Sylvi...

CRM 4 outlook client install error
I am not able to install CRM v4 Outlook client on any workstation. The Oultook initial setup from CD appears to install correctly, but the install fails using the Configuration Wizard (PreInstallation Checks = OK) with the following error. ----------------- Action Microsoft.Crm.Config.Client.InstallAbpAction failed. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) ----------------- THis happens on all workstations connect to SBS 2K3R2; Desktop (Vista Ent/OfficeUlt), Laptop (Vista Ent/OfficeUlt), Terminal Server (W2K3/Office2K3) The CRM Web Client works fine. -- ...

Error 3704 with Headquarters Client
Please advise if anyone has come across the error below and its resolution. Our Headquarters Client debug log reports the following. <<CStateMachine::ExecuteState>> Error 3704: Operation is not allowed when the object is closed. (Unhandled Error, state = '7'). An error was detected, connection will be aborted. ...

FTP provider for windows 2008 ftp server to automatically delete file after it is downloaded by the client
Hi All, Development Environment: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, Version 9.0.30729.1 Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 Windows Server 2008 server service pack1 IIS 7.0 FTP 7.5 service Reference : http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/632/how-to-use-managed-code-c-to-create-an-ftp-provider-that-sends-an-email-when-files-are-uploaded/ Required: FTP provider for windows 2008 ftp server to automatically delete file after it is downloaded by the client Problem: I have followed each steps as mention in above link. I have implemented following interface method. ...

webservices client problem
Hi, Im trying to build a web services client but im having 3 problems: 1) The access wizard is not working only for this web service (Menu-> Tools-> web references), for this option to appear you have to install webservicess office 2003 plug in 2) Since wizard is not working (i=B4d like to know why), i tried to write a client using the soap toolkit3.0, but when the method gets a complex type parameter like Array, that just wont work! 3) I'll have to use this code where proxy authentication is required to access internet, but i have no idea how to do it, httpconnector3.0 properties ...

DPM Consistency Check
I have a 735 GB volume I'm using DPM 2010 on. If I throw it a do a consistency check......it been running for over 5 hours. I plan on protecting a larger file server with millions of files and over 4 TB of data. How long can I expect a consistency check to take? If a consistency check takes days...what happens to my backups? The time to complete a consistency check depends on the change rate for the data, the available network bandwidth, and the time that has passed since the previous successful synchronization job. Here is a good reference chart: http://technet.micro...

NDR Question
Hello All: User is getting these occasionally for mail she has sent oout from our mail server. Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, it looks las if my mail server is bouncing it back "relaying prohibited". Why would that be happeing.? Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: MapInfo quarterly reports Sent: 3/31/2004 2:11 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'dwarren@warren-news.com' on 3/31/2004 2:13 PM The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=thejanusgroup;l=SRV3-04033...