Remote 2007 SP1 to 2010 beta migration

The charity I support has an off-site DPM 2007 SP1 server running on W2003
32-bit.  It backs up file servers and Exchange 2003/2007 over a WAN (DSL ~
3Mbps).

We have currently bought a new 64-bit capable server so that we can upgrade
to DPM2010 (and Exchange 2010).  This server will also be located off-site.

My ideal upgrade path would be as follows:

- install DPM 2010 on new W2K8 R2 x64 server
- migrate existing recovery points etc across LAN from old W2K3 DPM 2007 SP1
server to DPM 2010 server
- migrate configuration from W2K3 DPM 2007 SP1
- point agents to new DPM 2010 server
- upgrade agents

The key issue is the data migration.  I could just follow the process
outlined in the beta documentation from moving from 32-bit DPM 2007 to 64-bit
DPM 2010, but the full consistency check will drag all of our data back over
the WAN.  It is obviously far better to use the gigabit LAN rather than the ~
3Mbps DSL WAN.

Is there some way to accomplish this?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In my ideal world DPM 2010 has some wizard based UI for telling DPM where
the staged data from the remote site is on the local hard disk and it moves
the data to the path it wants automatically (rather than try to deduce the
path and which files go where from the documentation which is NOT that well
written nor straightforward!).

Many thanks,
Shane

        If you are having SAN/SCSI disks on 32 Bit Server and you can
re-produce the entire disks and volumes on the 64 machine you can use the
DPM re-build flow to get all recovery points and entire DPM server as it was
with the old server. Please find more information about it at:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=bbfce7e8-af3a-4d7f-8d25-d3e25211d915&cat=en_US_c18d9b67-8a4f-493f-99fa-246042fd5824&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1.
But if you can't reproduce the disk and volumes on the 64 bit server as they
are in 32 bit then, after migrating the DPM server protection configuration
from 32 bit server before running the consistency check do a manual copy of
the files from 32 server's bit replica volume to the 64 bit server. For this
you can follow the steps related initial manual replication (
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809133.aspx,
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809028.aspx ) . Once copy is
completed you can run the consistency check, since files are already copied
from older recovery point only the changed blocks of the files will be
transferred from the customer site.

Hope this helps you, Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"96mustang" <96mustang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The charity I support has an off-site DPM 2007 SP1 server running on W2003
> 32-bit.  It backs up file servers and Exchange 2003/2007 over a WAN (DSL ~
> 3Mbps).
>
> We have currently bought a new 64-bit capable server so that we can
> upgrade
> to DPM2010 (and Exchange 2010).  This server will also be located
> off-site.
>
> My ideal upgrade path would be as follows:
>
> - install DPM 2010 on new W2K8 R2 x64 server
> - migrate existing recovery points etc across LAN from old W2K3 DPM 2007
> SP1
> server to DPM 2010 server
> - migrate configuration from W2K3 DPM 2007 SP1
> - point agents to new DPM 2010 server
> - upgrade agents
>
> The key issue is the data migration.  I could just follow the process
> outlined in the beta documentation from moving from 32-bit DPM 2007 to
> 64-bit
> DPM 2010, but the full consistency check will drag all of our data back
> over
> the WAN.  It is obviously far better to use the gigabit LAN rather than
> the ~
> 3Mbps DSL WAN.
>
> Is there some way to accomplish this?  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> In my ideal world DPM 2010 has some wizard based UI for telling DPM where
> the staged data from the remote site is on the local hard disk and it
> moves
> the data to the path it wants automatically (rather than try to deduce the
> path and which files go where from the documentation which is NOT that
> well
> written nor straightforward!).
>
> Many thanks,
> Shane

0
Praveen
2/5/2010 2:17:46 PM
> [...]

> The key issue is the data migration.  I could just follow the process
> outlined in the beta documentation from moving from 32-bit DPM 2007 to
> 64-bit
> DPM 2010, but the full consistency check will drag all of our data back
> over
> the WAN.  It is obviously far better to use the gigabit LAN rather than
> the ~
> 3Mbps DSL WAN.
>
> Is there some way to accomplish this?  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> In my ideal world DPM 2010 has some wizard based UI for telling DPM where
> the staged data from the remote site is on the local hard disk and it
> moves
> the data to the path it wants automatically (rather than try to deduce the
> path and which files go where from the documentation which is NOT that

0
Praveen

Resize chart (Word 2007) while keeping H/W ratio?
How to resize chart (Word 2007) while keeping H/W ratio? Hi, Hold down the Shift key while sizing from the corners, not the center. Cheers, Shane Devenshire Microsoft Excel MVP "Binh" <Binh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A215421E-6D08-49A5-9DBA-9CA6C0A1ED5D@microsoft.com... > How to resize chart (Word 2007) while keeping H/W ratio? ...

2003 vs 2007 question
2003 Access Database z:\\Jones\HomeFiles\household.be z:\\Jones\household.fe Users A and B have full access to both files and all folders. User A is using Access 2003 User B is using Access 2007 User A can access and write. User B is unable to open the database. Is this a version issue or should I be looking for something else? -- Teach me to fish! Thanks for the help. Pax, M On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:43:01 -0700, m stroup <mstroup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >2003 Access Database > >z:\\Jones\HomeFiles\household.be >z:\\Jones\house...

How do I store which user modified a record in Access 2007?
I am new to Access and have an Access 2003 database without user-level security that I am planning to convert to Access 2007. I would like to add fields to my database to store create_userid and modify_userid. Can someone help me with that please? The general concept is that you'd add fields to each table for which you wish to keep this information. The fields I generally add are: [CreateDate] [CreatedBy] [LastUpdated] [UpdatedBy] Then I add code in each form that displays table data. That code checks to see if the data is a new record or is an upda...

Cannot see all mails in Exchange folder from Outlook 2003/2007 on one computer
I have a problem with one folder in Outlook on one machine. After a certain date (irrelevant, but it is 18th october 2006), no mails can be seen in one folder. If I check from OWA it works fine. I see new emails. I tried to upgrade to Outlook 2007 as well and it works just as bad. I have tried to uninstall and re-install as well. Is there some way to get rid of all settings in Outloo? I have tried to switch over from cached mode to non-cached mode and back, but it doesn't work either in cached or non-cached mode. I tried to delete the ..ost-file while in non-cached mode as well. It wasn&#...

Frequent ExchSrvr restarts needed for remote users
Hello all – I have a mob of disenchanted users about to lynch me because of a problem that I cannot get to the bottom of. I recently migrated Exchange 5.5 to 2K3, consolidating three sites in the process. Now we have one Exchange Server at headquarters that hosts all mailboxes and public folders. The problem is with the users at the remote sites. Approximately every three business days, I have to restart the Exch Srvr, because over the space of a few hours, many users at the remotes sites are unable to connect to it. (“Trying to connect..” in the Outlook status bar). Only a resta...

Outlook 2007 crashes
Outlook 2007 crashes whenever i got new email into Inbox. I am running Windows XP SP2, Mcafee 8.0 When reported error to Microsoft, it says error causing by Mcafee and there is no solution. Any help? TIA If you are a home user, you can download the free AVG Anti-virus to your desktop. http://free.grisoft.com Uninstall McAfee. Install AVG. Update AVG. Relax and enjoy. "Rao" <vkantamneni@gmail.com> wrote in message news:epfkU1wZHHA.4684@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2007 crashes whenever i got new email into Inbox. I am running > Windows XP SP2, Mcafee 8.0 &...

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

Error 2203 upgrading Office 2007 to RTM Office 2010 from Technet
I downloaded the 32bit installer for Office 2010 from Technet and tried to upgrade my Office Enterprise 2007 installation. The install fails with this message: 'Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:\Windows\Installer\93dca91.ipi -2147287035 ) Anyone know how to fix this? Ron You cannot upgrade an Office Enterprise. You need to purchase a new license with a new install. This applies also to TecNet and MSDN subscriptions and all HUP installations. Basically that is what the error is telling you -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for...

Word 2007 file protection
How do I protect a Word 2007 file from being accidentally deleted? Take a back up. "skm" wrote: > How do I protect a Word 2007 file from being accidentally deleted? ...

Outlook 2007 will not open.
_OUTLOOK_2007_WILL_NOT_OPEN._ I am running Windows 7 and Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007, but Outlook 2007 won�t open. _HISTORY:_ *My apologies in advance for the length of this query.* Since a serious hardware failure I got a new hard disc and reinstalled Office and Outlook was fine. :) About 1 month later Windows 7 was delivered and I installed it on my newish hard disc. Good bye Office, etc! :( After some hassle getting a new Product Key, I was up and running. :) I had read raves about Microsoft�s Windows Easy Transfer (WET) software. Wet it is! I have now read on t...

Can I purchase just Outlook 2007 without the entire office?
I want only Outlook 2007, so that I can synch with my Motorola Q. Will this product work alone? I have the trial version and it seems to work, but it's the trial of the entire office suite. Is there anywhere I can download Outlook instead of getting it mailed to me? I have tried Microsoft but they only offer full suite downloads. Thanks Joey Joey wrote: > I want only Outlook 2007, so that I can synch with my Motorola Q. > Will this product work alone? I have the trial version and it seems > to work, but it's the trial of the entire office suite. Is there > anywhere I ...

Office 2007 Word
Since my last windows update I cannot get Word to stay up. It immediately closes with an error Word not responding windows will look for solution. Any ideas? "Anna" <Anna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F5FAE3C-F653-4496-9B44-5321FD09F3E3@microsoft.com... > Since my last windows update I cannot get Word to stay up. It immediately > closes with an error Word not responding windows will look for solution. > Any > ideas? Do a system restore to a point before you installed the updates, then install the updates one at a time until you ...

Publisher 2007 -how to view all pages in bottom row of taskbar
I've upgraded from 2003, and now the pages of my webpage listed on the bottom of the Publisher window are all missing (my website pub. document contains 10 pages, which were visible as number rows at the bottom underneath the document within the publisher taskbar frame). I cannot select a page any more. How can I get this page row back? Thank you in advance for your replies. CosmicFaery wrote: > I've upgraded from 2003, and now the pages of my webpage listed on > the bottom of the Publisher window are all missing (my website pub. > document contains 10 pages, which were ...

Remote Active Sync
Hello, I just upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server and I have no idea how to setup Mobile Access. I would like to sync my pocket pc remotely. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks, Jose ...

How do I move Office 2007 from old to new PC? No CD, have code
I just got a new PC with Windows 7. I already had Office 2007 on another PC and want to move it to the new PC. How do I do that? I don't want to buy another copy of Office 2007. "Rich K" <Rich K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E7FA73E-82A2-4ACA-95DA-2B7DE8AA4507@microsoft.com... > I just got a new PC with Windows 7. I already had Office 2007 on another > PC > and want to move it to the new PC. How do I do that? I don't want to buy > another copy of Office 2007. To MOVE it, just uninstall from the old and install on t...

Access 2007 Runtime: Stored Procedures as Record Source to Forms
Several forms in my Access Project use stored procedures in SQL Server 2000. When i try to open the forms in Access 2007 Runtime on client machines, i receive an error that the record source could not be found or does not exist. I use dbo.ProcName format and the forms open correctly in my full version Access. What could be the issue? Thanks! ...

Excel 2007 Smart Forms
Is there a web site that I can go to get find Excel 2007 Smart forms for free? I am trying to create a user form that will not let a user go on to the next question or worksheet without filling out all required information first. I would also like it to not let a user hit the submit until all required information is filled out. I am new to VBA and don't even know if I need to use VBA to make my above requirements work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Keven ...

Install Outlook 2007
Can I install the same copy of Outlook 2007 on more than one computer ie. my laptop and my desktop or do I have to buy two copies? Depends on your Licence, view the EULA "jggsfl" <jggsfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:001CB1F7-584C-41DA-82A5-44400A33FE87@microsoft.com... > Can I install the same copy of Outlook 2007 on more than one computer ie. > my > laptop and my desktop or do I have to buy two copies? ...

Buttons for Header Level view in Word 2007
There are nice Buttons for Header Level view in Word 2003, for names for "1", "2",..., "4". I can add them to my Custom Toolbar (via View commands) and quickly switch in Outlind view mode. Are there the same in Word 2007 (or I need to create macro)? ...

Remoting
Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected to the same lan? If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters? Regards Mark Overall, the simple answer is "no". In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole in your network large enough to drive a freight train through. Sideways. However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security cred...

remote connections
In SS2K , how to enable remote connections ? For example, from my machine, within SEM I'd like to create a "New SQL Server Registration" connection to that machine. This has always worked for me in the past, but today I've encountered an SS2K instance which gives me a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())" error. Does it matter if the target instance is configured as "Windows Authentication" vs "Mixed Mode" ? I'm attempting the "New SQL Server Registration" via Windows Authentication. I...

Data Migration in CRM 1.2
Hi I have CRM Server installed on a IIS server, with the SQL part installed on a second SQL server and Then on a third server i have the CRM Email part installed with active directory. I have SQL DB backup files from a previos CRM installation which i want to import into CRM. The DB backup file is under the MSDN_Subscriber key and with the current installation we are using the company name(so Database and company names are different, if that makes a diffrence i dont know. When i try to install the CRM data migration framework it starts installing and then stops with no error msg bu...

Disabling Office 2007 startup GUI
Is it possible to disable the first box that appears after I click on the ..exe for e.g Word? I'm referring to the yellow welcome box with the text 'Microsoft Office Word 2007' This is a Word for Mac group. Word 2007 is a program for Windows. Please don't post the same question in multiple newsgroups. It is already answered in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement. Yves "Abi" <Abi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:460E7E7C-1D8D-4723-87DB-5E57671A3E4B@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to disable the first box that appears after...

Outlook 2007 Ribbon
Hi I have just installed Outlook 2007 at home and everything is fine. I have upgraded at work and there is now ribbon. I am looking to roll this out across the organisation and want consistency of interface. Is there a way to turn the ribbon on when upgrading? TJ "TJ" <noreply@nothere.com.de.fr> wrote in message news:eXZNaXUdIHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I have just installed Outlook 2007 at home and everything is fine. I have > upgraded at work and there is now ribbon. I am looking to roll this out > across the organisation and want c...

Remote Office VPN Internet Access
Hi Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL. Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the VPN. I am going to add 2nd ADSL line to split off and soley route the VoIP traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local', the VPN would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files. -- Many Thanks Drew In article <6...