Recover a Prod content database to Dev farm

Hello,

I was wondering is it possible to recover (copy) a content database from a
seperate farm to a Dev farm? I came across a few hints about using the "Copy
the database files to a network folder" option, but nothing concrete. I'd
appreciate if someone could clarify this for me?

regards,

Edgar

You can recovery a database to a network location.  We have the following

You will see the details in the "Tasks" section
--
Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA
Houston, TX

"Edgar" <Edgar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering is it possible to recover (copy) a content database from a
> seperate farm to a Dev farm? I came across a few hints about using the
> "Copy
> the database files to a network folder" option, but nothing concrete. I'd
> appreciate if someone could clarify this for me?
>
> regards,
>
> Edgar

0
Santhosh
12/22/2009 9:59:23 PM
Hello Santhosh,

Thank you for responding! I understand that we're able to save a Content
Database to a network location, but what i wasn't clear about is if it's
possbile to attach the content database from one farm into a seperate farm?
for instance we'd like to recover(make a copy of)one of the content databases
of our production farm and attach it to our dev farm. what is the best method
to accomplish this?

Edgar

"Santhosh Sivarajan" wrote:

> You can recovery a database to a network location.  We have the following
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808956.aspx
>
> You will see the details in the "Tasks" section
> --
> Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA
> Houston, TX
> http://blogs.sivarajan.com/
> http://publications.sivarajan.com/
>
> "Edgar" <Edgar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering is it possible to recover (copy) a content database from a
> > seperate farm to a Dev farm? I came across a few hints about using the
> > "Copy
> > the database files to a network folder" option, but nothing concrete. I'd
> > appreciate if someone could clarify this for me?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Edgar

Just do a Recover, choose any backup except the latest, and select the Dev DB
instance as the restore location. As long as the DB versions are the same it
should be no problem.

Daniel

"Edgar" wrote:

> Hello Santhosh,
>
> Thank you for responding! I understand that we're able to save a Content
> Database to a network location, but what i wasn't clear about is if it's
> possbile to attach the content database from one farm into a seperate farm?
> for instance we'd like to recover(make a copy of)one of the content databases
> of our production farm and attach it to our dev farm. what is the best method
> to accomplish this?
>
> Edgar
>
> "Santhosh Sivarajan" wrote:
>
> > You can recovery a database to a network location.  We have the following
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808956.aspx
> >
> > You will see the details in the "Tasks" section
> > --
> > Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA
> > Houston, TX
> > http://blogs.sivarajan.com/
> > http://publications.sivarajan.com/
> >
> > "Edgar" <Edgar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I was wondering is it possible to recover (copy) a content database from a
> > > seperate farm to a Dev farm? I came across a few hints about using the
> > > "Copy
> > > the database files to a network folder" option, but nothing concrete. I'd
> > > appreciate if someone could clarify this for me?
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Edgar

How do you recover a parameter?
Hello, I would like to execute an excel file, for example, with a file name file.xls zz.txt And afterwards, in that file, I would like to recover the name zz.txt. Could you please help me? Thanks. Dave, I'm not sure what you mean by "execute" the Excel file, or "recover the name." It sounds as though you want to make a txt file from the xls file. If so, you'll need to open it in Excel, then do File - Save As, with the file type set to txt. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- &...

outlook xp recovered data - from CD
I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp data from a failed hard drive: how do I move/copy/transfer the recovered Calendar, address book and contacts, personal folders, and emails from the data recovery CD to my existing Outlook folders? Where does that data reside on my new hard drive (windows xp pro oper system)? Would very much appreciate any help. Thanks. "kevinh" <kevin.hefner@aps.com> wrote in message news:0c7601c3b8f4$d417b3c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp > data from a failed hard drive: ho...

creating table of contents
Can anyone help me? I'm trying to create a table of contents in Excel 97(we have to us this version for the course i'm doing) that looks a bit more fanc than just using hyperlinks. does anyone know of any guides that i could use? your help would be really appreciate ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements Maybe you could add some pictures and then assign the...

Recover live calendars?
Someone was helping me cleanup an old laptop and they deleted important calendars from my WLM. I have months worth of appointments and need some help/instructions. Thanks (I hope) Did you sign in to Live services in WLM? It will not say Sign in below the Close X if you are signed in. calendar.live.com will have the calendars that will sync back to WLM the next time you connect with WLM. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "nimbus" <nimbus@live.com> wrote in message news:CDFEEBEA-D031-4B0B-AECC-58F904E3E601@microsoft.com... > Someone was helping ...

Dirty Shutdown after Exchange database repair
Our Exchange database isn't being backed up (the back-ups fail), hence the logs aren't being cleared. This has been going on for a while. The backup reports are as follows: Backup Status Operation: Backup Active backup destination: 8mm AIT Media name: "Mon-04-01-2010" Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1. Backup (via shadow copy) of "D: " Backup set #1 on media #1 Backup description: "Mon-04-01-2010" Media name: "Mon-04-01-2010" Backup Type: Normal Backup started on 4/01/2010 at 11:04 PM. Backup completed on 5/01/2...

Recover !!
Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much for my system (like all windows updates) i uninstalled oulook then reinstalled the old version now i have none of my old emails and there not in my hotmail either and they were going into both, hotmail and my outlook ~ so can anyone help me? or is it lost forever What is the version of your old Outlook? Try to search *.pst file "Robin" <rwtsr1@msn.com> wrote in message news:cb4101c48a4c$21dfd000$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much > for my system (like all windows upda...

Table of Contents for a report i access 2007
I need help! I have created a Price list that is grouped by categories, and im trying to make a table of contents page that gives me in what pages the categories can be seen. On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:13:00 -0800, marlantaxpress wrote: > I need help! I have created a Price list that is grouped by categories, and > im trying to make a table of contents page that gives me in what pages the > categories can be seen. I would assume this method for earlier versions should still work in Access 2007. Here is a method for Access 2000. See Microsoft KnowledgeBase article: 210269 'ACC...

Adding plain text to a database?
I have some instructions (about 2-3 paragraphs) that need to accompany one of my databases. Rather than sending them separately where they might get lost, how could I include them within the database file? Why not simply create a form and enter the text there. then you can add a button so the user can access the info when they need it. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault "Cheese" wrote: > I have some instructions (about 2-3 paragraphs) that need to accompany one of > my databases. > > Rather than sending them separately where they might get lost, how co...

Help! I accidentally deleted emails that I desperately need to recover... Any suggestions please?
Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? Many thanks! On 1/26/10 10:20 AM, in article C7847266.27FB9%gavin@kerner.com, "Gavin Wilding" <gavin@kerner.com> wrote: > Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? It depends on what you backed up. Without more details, we can't help. You can use Switch Identity to access data in a second Identity. -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> YouTalk <...

Split Databases
Hello, I have two databases that I would like to pull information from both to create reports. My question is this: Could I somehow create a third database to hous the main table from the other two so that as the information in the two main databases is being inputted by the user, when a report is pulled from the third the information will always be updated? Thanks!! You can create Linked Tables that point to the actual data. They will always be current. (You do this through File | Get External Data | Link Tables on the menu) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSte...

Shared User Issue When Opening Database
I have an issue this afternoon which, I feel probably isn't directly related to Access, but would be grateful for guidance if anyone has experienced this before. I have a database (default open mode - shared) which, this afternoon, won't allow a second user to open it. If a second user tries to open the database a message box is displayed quoting the path of the database file plus "The parameter is incorrect" The database is located on a shared folder on our network. Thanks for any assistance. Dave ONLY the data should be on a shared folder, not th...

identify same contents of a spreadsheet
is there any quick way to check 2 spreadsheet files have got the same contents? Hi you may have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.htm look for compare.xla (http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ryanunsw wrote: > is there any quick way to check 2 spreadsheet files have got the same > contents? ...

Recover Unsaved
I need help. Excel closed without saving what I was working on now I need to recover it.... You do not say how Excel closed or what version you are using. The later versions have an AutoRecover feature. If you closed Excel without saving the file, you may not be able to recover. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Tori" <Tori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F64C96B-62FD-430D-A27A-DF00A9AA64D0@microsoft.com... >I need help. Exce...

XML in Access 2003: IXMLDOMNode
Hi all, I ran the attached volcanoes.xml (with geology.dtd) in the Module of Access 2003. I got the following error: Microsoft Office Access You have error Invalid Character in content model. |OK| Please help and advise me what is wrong in my source code and how to correct the problem. Thanks in advance, SHC ////---volcanoes.xml---//// <?xml version="1.0" ?> <!DOCTYPE geology SYSTEM "geology.dtd"> <!-- Volcano data --> <geol...

Recover junk mail
How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail folder that I mistakenly just deleted? afaik...locally emptying or purging the junk mail folder is permanent in WLM(and also if using WLM for http access to a Hotmail account). If Pop3, access the web server holding the account to determine if the messages are present(ymmv) in the web Deleted folder. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18654186-1254-4406-9DAF-22B213E775D4@microsoft.com... > How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail fold...

table of content type mismatch error
I've created a table of contents table with the article "How to Create..." Now I'm getting an error msg "The expression OnPrint entered as event property setting produced following error: Type mismatch. *Expression may not result in name of macro, function ro event procedure. *There may have been error evalutaing function, event or macro." As I'm new to code and am not quite sure where all should be placed, I'm hoping someone can help correct this error. Thanks in advance for any much needed help. Pam ...

Hiding database window
I ran across the following question: How would you hide the database window and open a form when the database is opened? Wouldn't you just select Window / Hide and then put the desired form in Startup or am I missing something? Robert Robert wrote: > I ran across the following question: > > How would you hide the database window and open a form when the > database is opened? > > Wouldn't you just select Window / Hide and then put the desired form > in Startup or am I missing something? > > Robert Tools - Startup takes care of both of those. -- Ri...

Recover
I set up my labtop for pop 3 mail. I like keeping almost all of my e-mails on the webmail server so I can refer to them. After I received the messages from my labtop, all the messages on my webmail were gone. I empytied the deleted items folder also on my labtop. Is there any kind of folder that they go to on the computer that's hidden before they e-mails are complety taken off the computer. Also is there a way to pull them off of the server again. The messages are gone, unless whoever provides your webmail has a way for you to get deleted messages back - ask them. In the fu...

sql 2005 Shrinking User Database
Theoretically, we have 24x7 system. However, there are times of a day when there is little or no activity. The database is extremely overallocated and I would like to shrink it. I am thinking of creating a one-time maintenance plan that will perform shrink db maintenance plan task. Are there any issues in me doing so? I realize that the preferred method is to do it in single user mode. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury now. Thanks in advance RG (RG@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > Theoretically, we have 24x7 system. However, there are times of ...

Is it possible to recover a file that's been saved over?
I'm sure I already know the answer to this question, but I have to ask anyway. I was working on an Excel file containing very important information on my laptop. I wanted to save the file to my thumb drive in order to create a backup copy. I recall being prompted by the save action to replace the existing copy, which I assumed was referring to the old copy that was already on my thumb drive, so I selected the "Yes" button. Now that I've tried to open the file on the laptop, I realize that it now has the old copy. Basically, I saved the old version of the file on top...

pictures in access 2003 database
I lost the thread, and cannot remember the answer. How do you reference a picture in a field. I remember the location of the picture/image was placed in a field. Is it a certain type of field? I am trying to create a basic family tree, with a picture and some info about the person. You can find the original thread here: http://bit.ly/8QE2cP Phil, London "Alnewt" <Alnewt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B76B2CA2-3945-401E-A8B2-7EA430AA7620@microsoft.com... > I lost the thread, and cannot remember the answer. How do you reference a > ...

Recover Outlook Tasks
I use tasks as a to-do list and have a problem with some tasks that have been deleted by a synchronisation. I sync a PocketPC2002 pda with a notebook and a desktop both running XP Outlook 2002. I didn't realise when doing a recent sync (ActiveSync 3.7.1) with the notebook that many of my tasks were deleted. Before realising I synced with the desktop so now none of the three devices have all my tasks. Is there a way to recover them? There is nothing in the deleted folders or archives. Thanks in advance... Did you have a backup of your PST file, presuming you use a PST file? If ...

recover account
I removed an account in WLM, and lost a lot of message. So can I recorver them. Please help me. Thanks Edson If this was a pop3 account, then no. Removal of an account in WLM deletes the account and all stored messages from one's hard drive. To remove an account, one has to answer yes to a prompt for deletion. WLM's prompt explaining the deletion could be improved upon making it much clearer on the impact. Here's what the prompt stated <qp> Are you sure you want to remove the <account name> account ? If this account is set so that messages are delet...

file specifications and database structure
Someone asked me to build up a datastructure and also denote the file specifications. I actually don't know what is expected of me to do? My datastructure defines sets, indices and parameters, so if I am correctly I can create my structure by inserting relationships. But what exactly is meant by a file specification? Is it meant that I have to say whether some input is a number/ text/ ... or is the data type totally different from the file specification? Thank you very much... Seems to me like you should be asking the person who made the original request to clarify what they mea...

Recover
How do I restore some messages that suddenly disapeared, to an individual mailbox from a backup? Did you have deleted item retention turned on? If so, you can recover it from Outlook. If not, do you have a brick-level backup? If so you can restore the individual item. If neither of the above, you will need to create a recovery server to restore the database to and export it. 163713 XADM: Recovering a Single Mailbox from the Online Backup http://support.microsoft.com/?id=163713 -- Michael Barta [MSFT] Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias...