Item level recovery of Hyper-V VMs without VT

Hi there,

I have DPM 2010 running in a VM. I'd like to do item-level recovery of other
VMs. DPM 2010 told me that I need to install the Hyper-V role... But this is
obviously impossible as it's living in a VM itself.

It'd be great if the final version of DPM 2010 supported item-level recovery
without requiring hardware virtualization features.

Simon

DPM 2010 needs to mount VHDs in order to provide item-level recovery of VMs.
This functionality is provided by Hyper-V role in Windows 2008 and hence
Hyper-V role is needed by DPM 2010.
But we hear your feedback and post DPM 2010 we are looking at a solution to
use in-box vhd mount capability provided by Windows 2008 R2 and at that
point you would be able to use Item Level Recovery without requiring Hyper-V
role.

--
Gaurav Gupta | Program Manager | DPM
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have DPM 2010 running in a VM. I'd like to do item-level recovery of
> other
> VMs. DPM 2010 told me that I need to install the Hyper-V role... But this
> is
> obviously impossible as it's living in a VM itself.
>
> It'd be great if the final version of DPM 2010 supported item-level
> recovery
> without requiring hardware virtualization features.
>
> Simon

0
Gaurav
11/26/2009 7:15:42 PM
And it's not possible to only install the parts of the Hyper-V role that are
required to mount VHDs?

Are there any workarounds?

"Gaurav Gupta [MSFT]" wrote:

> DPM 2010 needs to mount VHDs in order to provide item-level recovery of VMs.
> This functionality is provided by Hyper-V role in Windows 2008 and hence
> Hyper-V role is needed by DPM 2010.
> But we hear your feedback and post DPM 2010 we are looking at a solution to
> use in-box vhd mount capability provided by Windows 2008 R2 and at that
> point you would be able to use Item Level Recovery without requiring Hyper-V
> role.
>
> --
> Gaurav Gupta | Program Manager | DPM
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have DPM 2010 running in a VM. I'd like to do item-level recovery of
> > other
> > VMs. DPM 2010 told me that I need to install the Hyper-V role... But this
> > is
> > obviously impossible as it's living in a VM itself.
> >
> > It'd be great if the final version of DPM 2010 supported item-level
> > recovery
> > without requiring hardware virtualization features.
> >
> > Simon

No. There is no way to install individual features of Hyper-V role. Its all
or nothing.

--

> And it's not possible to only install the parts of the Hyper-V role that
> are
> required to mount VHDs?
>
> Are there any workarounds?
>

> "Gaurav Gupta [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> DPM 2010 needs to mount VHDs in order to provide item-level recovery of
>> VMs.
>> This functionality is provided by Hyper-V role in Windows 2008 and hence
>> Hyper-V role is needed by DPM 2010.
>> But we hear your feedback and post DPM 2010 we are looking at a solution
>> use in-box vhd mount capability provided by Windows 2008 R2 and at that
>> point you would be able to use Item Level Recovery without requiring
>> Hyper-V
>> role.
>>
>> --
>> Gaurav Gupta | Program Manager | DPM
>> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights
>>
>> "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I have DPM 2010 running in a VM. I'd like to do item-level recovery of
>> > other
>> > VMs. DPM 2010 told me that I need to install the Hyper-V role... But
>> > this
>> > is
>> > obviously impossible as it's living in a VM itself.
>> >
>> > It'd be great if the final version of DPM 2010 supported item-level
>> > recovery
>> > without requiring hardware virtualization features.
>> >
>> > Simon

0
Gaurav
11/27/2009 6:24:10 PM
You can't lay a hypervisor on another, it's impossible

"Gaurav Gupta [MSFT]" wrote:

> No. There is no way to install individual features of Hyper-V role. Its all
> or nothing.
>
> --
> Gaurav Gupta | Program Manager | DPM
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > And it's not possible to only install the parts of the Hyper-V role that
> > are
> > required to mount VHDs?
> >
> > Are there any workarounds?
> >

> > "Gaurav Gupta [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> DPM 2010 needs to mount VHDs in order to provide item-level recovery of
> >> VMs.
> >> This functionality is provided by Hyper-V role in Windows 2008 and hence
> >> Hyper-V role is needed by DPM 2010.
> >> But we hear your feedback and post DPM 2010 we are looking at a solution
> >> use in-box vhd mount capability provided by Windows 2008 R2 and at that
> >> point you would be able to use Item Level Recovery without requiring
> >> Hyper-V
> >> role.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gaurav Gupta | Program Manager | DPM
> >> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no
> >> rights
> >>
> >> "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Listbox Delete multiple items
Hello. I'm trying to create a vba routine to delete items from a listbox. This is a multiselect listbox and what is happening is that i select several items and the code only removes the first item. When the first item is deleted, all of the other selected items became unselected. I post the code i'm using bellow. Can anyone give me a hint on this issue? Thanks, Luis Private Sub RemoveItem_btn_Click() If Listbox_1.ListIndex = -1 Then Exit Sub For i = Listbox_1.ListCount - 1 To 0 Step -1 If Listbox_1.Selected(i) Then Listbox_1.Remove...

Sent Items issue
When i send an email they sit in the outbox instead of going to my sent items folder. The items that are in my sent items folder cannot be moved or deleted as it comes up with an error. Any help would be appreciated. Thank. T On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:41:04 -0800, ctdude wrote: > When i send an email they sit in the outbox instead of going to my sent items > folder. The items that are in my sent items folder cannot be moved or deleted > as it comes up with an error. Any help would be appreciated. Thank. What version of Outlook? What sort of mail account(s)? What is the error th...

Create an event at Ring0 level
Hi, whats the way of creating an event at Ring0 level.I am using Win 98 OS.So far i have got the information to create event at ring3 and convert it to ring0 event.But i don't want to do that.I need to create event at ring0 level.How to do that. Plz reply. regds vinay ...

rev level in item inquiry
We need to be able to see the rev level of the part in the item inquiry screen. It would just link to the revision level field in the item engineering data screen. Currently a user with only inquiry access can not see what revision a part is supposed to be. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click &...

dictionary->(item, item, item); Can dictionary point to an array in VBA?
Is it possible to have a dictionary object point to an simple array? Can you do something like that in code? Dim oDict as new Scripting.Dictionary oDict.Add "key_value", Array("foo", "bar") Tim "cate" <catebekensail@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9f4b847e-eba7-487c-ac86-749d217dcc7e@b30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to have a dictionary object point to an simple array? > > Can you do something like that in code? ...

Item
Item needs to have more customer fields. Some countries require both an Inc and Ex Cost of each item. Ib Ivan, What are Inc and Ex costs and are you asking for more custom fields or do you really mean customer fields? -- * "Ivan Brebner" <ibrebner@premiumretail.com.au> wrote in message news:Oo9hLB4%23FHA.2524@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... Item needs to have more customer fields. Some countries require both an Inc and Ex Cost of each item. Ib In places like Australia retailers prefer to see the cost of an item including tax as well as Excluding. So that quoting ite...

Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting
Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting adjacent cells one by one. those cells looks like; |Column A1 |Column A2| |random characters | A | |sjsjsjsjskkskskskk | B | |wtwuwuwuuusisis | A | |wuuuuusiwuwuwiu| A | |euuuuuuuuuuuuuuu| B | I am trying to select A1 cells that's adjacent of A2 cells without selecting A1 cells one by one. Thank you for your help. I am trying to select A1 cells that's adjacent of "B" cells without selecting A1 cells one by one > I...

item created date for copied items
We create 2 new product catalogs every year with hundreds of new items. To make data entry easier for our users, we use the Copy function. Unfortunately, the Created Date is not updated for the NEW item (it uses the copied item's created date). Also, this NEW item is not listed in Activity Tracking. It would be great if Created Date was the actual create date, even if the NEW item was copied off an old item. It is important for us to run reports off Created Date. It is also important for us to see who created the NEW item in case there are data entry errors. Thank you. -----...

Where to put controls on an SDI Application without Doc/View architecture support
Hi All I'm a C++ programmer of 4 years or so experience in UNIX-land. I'm doing my first Windows App - using Visual C++ 6.0 with MFC. The app is very simple - it is to look a lot like the windows Print Queue - it has a menu, a status bar and a list takes up the rest of the space. I have created the project using the app wizard. I have selected SDI ('cause I need the menus) and no doc / view architecture support ('cause I don't need documents) THE PROBLEM: I don't know where to put controls. The application creates a main SDI form, with a strange class CChildView,...

Three items, column and line chart
I have data for the quarter that looks like this: PRODUCT LINE Jan Forecast Jan Actual Jan % of Fcst PERSONALIZED IMPACTCARDS 2,921,347 2,017,000 69% I would like a bar chart to show (in bars) the forecast and actual, and a secondary axes as the %. Is this possible? I've done a chart with Forecast and % forecast, but really need the actual bar. TIA, Carole O Hi Carole - Easier than you might think. Make a column chart using all three series of data. Select the % series, then choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and select Line. Then double click on this line, ...

Restock Level and Reorder Point
Hi All, I have a query regarding Restock level and Reorder point. In the microsoft documentation for version 1.3 it says that Restocking info. is centrally maintained data and as such, the stores can then use Store operations to override the data as nescessary. HOWEVER, We (microsoft) do not recommend that the stores override this data because the headoffice will not know these changes have occurred. In the version 2.0 documentation, It states that reorder point and restock level is locally originated data which is information that is maintained by each store. It can be uploaded to Headquar...

copy item cost to supplier cost field
I have customer that has an item cost in each item, but has no cost in supplier tab. Is there a sql statement that will copy the item cost into the supplier cost field? Thanks for the help Dave here it is ************************** UPDATE Supplierlist set SupplierList.Cost=Item.Cost FROM Item WHERE Item.ID=SupplierList.ItemID --AND Item.SupplierID=SupplierList.SupplierID ************************** if u execute it as it is, it will update the cost for primary suppliers only, if u remove the comment (--) from the last line, it will update the cost for all the item's suppliers (primary &...

item picture
Is there a way to get an items picture on a report? I use the item price list report and export it to HTML to get my items on my web page. This works fine, however I would like to include the items picture also but I don't see that as a field to include on the report. Is anyone doing this or know of a way to do this? Thanks, Craig You could add the Item.PictureName field to the report. Search the newsgroup and you should find several recent examples of adding a column to a report. This isn't going to be much help though as this is only going to include the Filename of the ...

Other Items Bought with a particular item
Hi all- Extensive heavy-duty user of RMS and regular custom-creator of reports, but can't seem to find a way to manage this one. I have item XYZ and I've identified it as not a highly profitable item, but possibly an item that my customers purchase alongside other higher margin products. The item has hundreds of movements in the Movement History report. How can I run a report to show either: a.) The total sales ticket value of all transactions which include XYZ item. -or- b.) A list of other items (along with cost and sold price) which were purchased over a set period along ...

excel recovery error
I continue to receive the same error each time i open up an excel file Microsoft Excel File Repair Log Errors were detected in file 'V:\acctclk\LEDGER FY04.xls' The following is a list of repairs: Lost supporting data on one or more objects. Same as the post I wrote a minute ago, there are 3 utilities out there: easyrecovery (no money back guarantee and no tech support) excelrecovery (been around for a while) excelfix (been around for a while and as i just checked, they have a money back guarantee) Try the demos and you may be able to recover your damaged file but it will cost yo...

if all items in listbox are the same
access 2003 On form f018ContrPerf is have a listbox called lstUnitType(multiselect=none). How can I determine if all items in listbox are the same? ie all ST or all IT... If they are the same then Me.f018ContrPerfDetails.Form.optHP.Visible = True Me.f018ContrPerfDetails.Form.FrameElem_Label.Visible = True -- deb On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:38:01 -0700, deb <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >access 2003 > >On form f018ContrPerf is have a listbox called lstUnitType(multiselect=none). > >How can I determine if all items in listbox are the same? ...

Items not in sent items folder
I am running Outlook 2000 and when trying to email directly from Word using File --> Send --> as Attachment, the email goes through, but does not show up in my Sent Items folder. I checked the box in Options to save messages in sent items. Any ideas? ...

Item Serial Numbers for Matrixed Items
Hello all: I have a question regarding serial numbers for matrixed items. I would like to set up an item, and then include a matrix for size, color, length, and still maintain invenotry on each color/sytle combination, and have a serial number for each item. Can anyone provide details as to how to best accomplish this. Thanks Victor Example: Style:FANA01 this comes in: Red, Green, Yellow and each color has small, med, large. Each item has a serial number. Create the item using the New Item Wizard as a matrix item. At the end of the wizard select "Edit this item" On t...

Set policies for items archivation on Exchange
Hi, it's posibble to set policies for AutoArchive? Eg. where to save old items from outlook, which folders should be archived and the age of items? Or should can it be done using GPO? Thanks, Jozef Izso. On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 02:53:02 -0800, Jozef Izso <jozef.izso@nospam.postalias> wrote: >Hi, > >it's posibble to set policies for AutoArchive? Eg. where to save old items >from outlook, which folders should be archived and the age of items? > >Or should can it be done using GPO? Yes, I believe you can set this with the outlook adm using a GPO. > > &g...

Embedded Barcode Items Receiving
Is there any way to do a physical inventory or receiving in Store Ops on embedded coded items? When scanning into either of the above, since it is reading the whole barcode - says item does not exist. Does anyone out there do this or have a suggestion of how to accomplish? ...

Line Item comments in SOP Transaction in Sales Line Item Smartlist
The Sales Line Item smartlist, comment fields (Comment 1, Comment 2...) seems to be picking up comment from the transaction level comment text rather than line item comment text entered in Sales Item detail entry screen. Seems illogical to me. It should pick comment text from Line item details rather than transaction level comments. Any Ideas? What version? It seems fine in 8.0. VG "Samit" wrote: > The Sales Line Item smartlist, comment fields (Comment 1, Comment 2...) > seems to be picking up comment from the transaction level comment text > rather than line item com...

work order not committing item in inventory
I don't know if I have a corrupt data base or some other issue but I have items that are on work orders that don't show as committed when you look at quantities in inventory. Example: Item x has on on hand quantity of 2 I create a work order and put 1 of item x on it and save the work order. I look it item properties and under the inventory tab instead of showing me quantity on hand of 2, quantity committed of 1 and quantity available of one, it still shows as 2 on hand and 2 available. any ideas? thanks, Jim Jim, There have been a few issues with work orders and on-hand q...

Cannot run program on computer without Visual Studio installed?
Hi folks, I have a setup.exe file and tested that it works on my machine which has VC++ Express 9 installed on it. I tested that it works on another machine with VC++ Express on it, too. I tried installing it on a machine that does not have VC++ Express installed however and it does not work. The error is: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." Not very specific, unfortunately. I also tried installing the VC++ redistributable 2008 and that did not help. Any ideas as to how to...

Assembly Item and Departments
We have a golf pro shop in which we have assembly items containing greens fees and cart fees together. But we would like for this assembly item, not the individual items, to show up in particular Department (i.e. Greens Fees) from the Departments Menu from the Store Ops screen. The only thing I can see is adding the individual component items to the department and have them showing up individually. I didn't know if there was something I was overlooking which would allow us to do this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also, any other ideas of how to accomplish this...

Insert rows and paste without clearing constants
I need to Insert Rows and Paste the selected row a specified number of times per an input box value. I am using the following code as a start and have commented out the lines to clear the constants and that works fine except the autofill portion increments the constant values. Thanks in advance for any help. This is how I need the result to be: Room Part# 6 WN1B-24 6 WN1B-24 6 WN1B-24 6 WN1B-24 6 WN1B-24 6 WN1B-24 This is what I am getting: Room Part# 6 WN1B-24 7 WN1B-25 8 WN1B-26 9 WN1B-27 10 WN1B-28 11 WN1B-29 Sub CopyRows() ' Documented: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie...