DPM2010 Tape Handling

Is it possible to configure a Protection Group that dumps data to tape every
night - no matter what tape is inserted ? We always seem to have the wrong
tape in there. I want DPM to simply overwrite the tape on a daily basis, no
questions asked. Thanks.

Ian

0
Ian

You could run a script that marks the tape as free, but then you'd be
overwriting it every night. If you want to append data I don't think you
could get around the built-in limitations.

Daniel

"Ian Moran" wrote:

> Is it possible to configure a Protection Group that dumps data to tape every
> night - no matter what tape is inserted ? We always seem to have the wrong
> tape in there. I want DPM to simply overwrite the tape on a daily basis, no
> questions asked. Thanks.
>
> Ian
>

> .

Here's an example PowerShell script that steps through every tape in a
library and marks them all free:

$DPMServerName = "dpm"

Connect-DPMServer $DPMServerName

$library = Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName $DPMServerName
if ($library.IsOffline -eq 0)
{
	$result = Start-DPMLibraryInventory -DPMLibrary $library -FastInventory
	write-host -NoNewline "Inventory started for"$library.ProductID
	while (!$result.HasCompleted)
	{
		write-host -NoNewline "."
		sleep 1
	}
	write-host
	write-host "Inventory complete."
	foreach ($media in @(Get-Tape -DPMLibrary $library))
	{
		if ($media.Type -eq "TapeArchiveMedia")
       		{
       			foreach ($rp in @(Get-RecoveryPoint -Tape $media))
       			{
               			Get-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $rp.Datasource | Out-Null
               			Write-Host "Removing recovery point created at
$($rp.RepresentedPointInTime) for tape in $($media.Location)."
		                Remove-RecoveryPoint -RecoveryPoint $rp -ForceDeletion
-Confirm:$false
       			}
			Write-Host "Setting tape in $($media.Location) as free."
       			Set-Tape -Tape $media -Free
       		}
       		else
       		{
			Write-Error "The tape in $($media.Location) is a cleaner tape."
       		}
	}
}
exit

Save it as "force-free.ps1" and run it as a scheduled task like this:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
       -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\dpmshell.psc1"
-command ".'C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\force-free.ps1'"

Note that this one works in DPM2010; I think it's slightly different for
DPM2007. Search for "force-free" and you'll probably find the original source.
Thanks for that  Daniel

"Daniel Segel" <DanielSegel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here's an example PowerShell script that steps through every tape in a
> library and marks them all free:
>
> $DPMServerName = "dpm"
>
> Connect-DPMServer $DPMServerName
>
> $library = Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName $DPMServerName
> if ($library.IsOffline -eq 0)
> {
> $result = Start-DPMLibraryInventory -DPMLibrary $library -FastInventory
> write-host -NoNewline "Inventory started for"$library.ProductID
> while (!$result.HasCompleted)
> {
> write-host -NoNewline "."
> sleep 1
> }
> write-host
> write-host "Inventory complete."
> foreach ($media in @(Get-Tape -DPMLibrary $library))
> {
> if ($media.Type -eq "TapeArchiveMedia")
>       {
>       foreach ($rp in @(Get-RecoveryPoint -Tape $media))
>       {
>               Get-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $rp.Datasource | Out-Null
>               Write-Host "Removing recovery point created at
> $($rp.RepresentedPointInTime) for tape in $($media.Location)."
>                 Remove-RecoveryPoint -RecoveryPoint $rp -ForceDeletion
> -Confirm:$false
>       }
> Write-Host "Setting tape in $($media.Location) as free."
>       Set-Tape -Tape $media -Free
>       }
>       else
>       {
> Write-Error "The tape in $($media.Location) is a cleaner tape."
>       }
> }
> }
> exit
>
> Save it as "force-free.ps1" and run it as a scheduled task like this:
>
> C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
>       -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> DPM\DPM\bin\dpmshell.psc1"
> -command ".'C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\force-free.ps1'"
>
> Note that this one works in DPM2010; I think it's slightly different for
> DPM2007. Search for "force-free" and you'll probably find the original
> source.

0
Ian

Recipient Policy: how to handle blank fields in the address formula?
Hello, We have a mix of mailbox-enabled personal and functional Windows accounts and our default recipient policy is: %g.%s@company.com The functional accounts have no givenname - only the surname field is used. Is there a way to specify that if %g is empty, then just put %s and omit the full-stop (.) in %g.%s@company.com ? RIght now, the policy is creating addresses like ".billing@company.com". We have separate teams running AD and Exchange, so unfortunately it's not possible to group functional accounts in dedicated OU and use an LDAP filter. Also, if a new recipient policy...

Particular Explorer.exe Handles Stay Open After Word/Phrase Search
Say I do a search on any given drive or volume or folder using Windows Explorer for "A word or phrase in the file". When the search is done, I close the search window entirely. After the search, if I look in Process Explorer, many files remain open as handles under the explorer.exe process. If I keep Process Explorer up while doing the search and then closing it, I can see the handles being opened and some of them not shut in real time, so I know that it is this particular search process causing these open handles. Now, this isn't random in terms of which files ...

C/C++ Exception Handling Issue
Our main program is a MFC based application, mainly written in using C VC6. Part of its functionality is the ability to run scripts that can call other DLL functions. i.e. you can load, run and unload a DLL. To increase program security from GPFs in the called DLL functions i added try/catch handling. This is the issue : - When a certain 3rd party DLL is called and generates a first chance exception, our handler kicks in. Thus you would expect that the DLL did NOT have exception handling code. HOWEVER, when this function is run without protection, the called DLL just continues working (th...

How to handle an XML document within an XML document
C#, .NET 1.0 I use XML serialisation to persist state of object definitions.One of my objects wraps up a 3rd party object (non .NET) which can only serialise itself to a file. However, it's needed that the parent wrapper object includes all state data in one file so I need to include the 3rd party serialisation file into the main file. I'm trying to do this at present by reading the content of the file using a StreamReader object, then into a string using ReadToEnd(). There are two problems: 1) I need a public property so that the XML Serialiser will manage the string during de/seri...

Excel TRIM() can't handle &nbsp; in pasted HTML

Another date handling question variant
Hi, I want to specify time+date and adjust them by timezone, but cannot see how to do this without laborious formulae. I've seen the other time/data tips on this site (v.good thanks), but they don't seem to cover this scenario. what I want to do: Column1: Time, format: dd-mmm-yy [hh]:mm eg: 26-feb-04 03:46 Column2: TZ offset, format: num (0 DP) eg: 5 Column3: Adjusted Time, format: dd-mmm-yy [hh]:mm formula: Col1 + (Col2/24) eg: 26-feb-04 08:46 ie. I want the basic number of TZ offset to increment the original time but that number of hours. Of course, it doesn't work, the e...

Question about handling invoice payments in Money Business...???
I'm confused about to handle invoices in Money Business. For instance, I have an invoice right now that I've put together for a web development job I've done. I've received 2 separate payments on this invoice and it's now paid in full. I have a category in Money that these payments should go in, which is Services Income : Web Development. The problem I'm having is that back in the invoice is I use the Receive payment for invoice option it inserts into the account registry as Payment for Invoice. If I try and change that to actual category that I want I get a ...

Will DPM 2010 include Disk to Disk to USB Disk instead of tape?
In 2007 if I want to backup to usb for offsite I have to use a third party program like Firestreamer to make the usb disk look like a Tape. Will 2010 allow us to use usb drives or ESata drive for offsite storage? This would be way cool since Tape can be very expensive for large data sets... USB drives are cheap and again if goes bad get another one. Dan Thanks Dan for your feedback. We have been getting this request from our customers but so far this is not in the list of DPM 2010 features. I'll pass on your feedback to the product group. -- Gaurav Gupta | Program Manag...

Handling the System Image List ?
Hi guys, In my program I made a Shell Namespace tree viewer that needs the system imagelist which I handle like this: // let's get the image list SHFILEINFO sfi; ZeroMemory(&sfi,sizeof(sfi)); HIMAGELIST hImageList=(HIMAGELIST)SHGetFileInfo(_T("C:\\"),0,&sfi,sizeof(SHFILEINFO),SH GFI_SYSICONINDEX|SHGFI_SMALLICON); // attach it to my class member m_imageList.Attach(hImageList); // later on in my destructor I free it m_imageList.Detach(); I think I am doing it right because it works. The thing is, I want to use that tree I made in different spots but it seems I can'...

Using fill handle on filtered data
I am new to Office 2007 and the new features in Excel. I am used to using Excel in Office 2003. I'm trying to use a feature that I've always used in Excel 2003 and for some reason the feature does not work the same way in Excel for Office 2007. I have several columns of text data, here's an example: Test Name Test Level Training 4 First 1 Second 2 Trainig 3 I created a pivot table and discovered that I mispelled the word "Training" in the fourth row. So, I filtered ...

Active x event handle???how
Hello friends, For the first time I am working with ActiveX control.I have search through net but not getting the clear idea how t handle events in active x. I have dialog based application and i have added a contol in that through project ->add to project components and control. and then add arielapi control by which i got a wrapper class ,.cpp file, and .h. file. THIS ARE CLASS METHOD in arielapi.cpp CString CArielAPI::Login(LPCTSTR UserName, LPCTSTR Password, LPCTSTR UserId) { CString result; static BYTE parms[] = VTS_BSTR VTS_BSTR VTS_BSTR; InvokeHelper(0x2, DISPATCH_METHOD, VT_B...

Exception handling?
In my below foobar first attempt to try exception handling I don't understand the following aspects: (my code at bottom after these framework pastes) 1. I must not be doing something correct because even though both my CATCH and AND_CATCH call stuff on return that appears to be deleting the exception and taking care of various cleanup. // abbreviated Step thru pastes //--------------------------------------- void AFXAPI AfxTryCleanup( ) { ...... ..... // delete current exception ASSERT(pLinkTop != NULL); if (pLinkTop->m_pException != NULL) pLinkTop-&...

how to get the bitmap's size by its handle?
thank u in advance. Wenming Hu wrote: [how to get the bitmap's size by its handle?] Use GetObject() -- Sigurd http://utvikling.com ...

Need recommendations for datetime handling before 1900
Hi, I need to find a way to use datetimes before 1900 and still add and subtract times and dates. CTime and CTimespan look good, but I have some dates before 1900.. Any ideas? thanks, Tony C. > I need to find a way to use datetimes before 1900 > and still add and subtract times and dates. > CTime and CTimespan look good, but I have some dates before 1900.. > Any ideas? Tony, Depending on what dates (before 1900) you need to handle, you could use the Win32 FILETIME. "Contains a 64-bit value representing the ...

XML Deserializer and Default Namespaces handling
Hello, Recently I had to use the XmlSerializer object to deserialize one of the objects in a project. When I invoked Deserialize on the xml document containing the object definition, I would get an exception from the XmlSerializer indicating the root element was not expected. This error was only resolved when the default namespace for the incoming xml document was included in the constructor of the Deserializer. However, the xml document did define a default namespace as is shown below: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="IBM437"?> <SubmitRsp xmlns="http://www....

unable to display inbox folder due to "invalid handle"???
Ran a scandisk that identified a couple of cluster problems, and allowed the computer to fix the problems identified . Since then, whenever trying to access email in OUTLOOK, we get the following message: "Unable to display the foler. The file c:\windows\localsettings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed. The handle is invalid." What is going on? ...

About handling events.
I want to code an event handler which handles and modifies data by checking which event occured last. How to get the last action done? I mean; if it is an autofill or a pasting action etc. Is it possible? Unfortunately, there is no way to determine how a cell was changed. The change event only indicates that a cell was changed, the how it was done so. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "serdar" <serdarsoy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eq%23Xo1ymFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I want to code an eve...

OpenReport error handling
Hello. I have a form with parameters, so the user can enter the start date and end date and then click on Preview to run the report. The form has a Preview error handling code. If the form is closed without clicking preview, the form shuts nicely. However, I have this report set to run from an Option button on a switchboard form, that in itself has a Preview button: I click the option button, then click on the switchboard Preview button, the parameter form opens (where I could enter the parameter dates and click Preview to run the report- but here I don't), I close the parameter fo...

How to handle event of ATL COM Dll in MFC Client like in VB6 ?
Hello everybody, I'm a newbie with MFC and ATL (VS6.0), I'm learning how to make COM Dll with ATL and using it in MFC project . Now I can make a simple ATL COM Dll project that has some functions and some events , I can catch these events with VB6 using Withevents keyword and It works fine . I would like now to make and MFC project (VS6.0) and use my ATL component inside this project, I use the #import directive and can call almost functions of this COM dll, but I want to handle its events as well as with VB6 . Could you please provide me some information how to do it ? I need simple...

Event Handle scope.
I have a thread that uses WaitForMultipleObjects. I have various events and was wondering whether the handles that represent the events (CONST HANDLE *lpHandles in WaitForMultipleObjects Function) need to be declared globally to the dialog class(i.e member variables of the dialog class) so that other functions in the dialog class can set those events. If i declare event handles local to the thread function that contains the WaitForMultipleObjects then all event handling would need to be done in this function. Is that correct or am i missing something Cheer Macca Yes, you need to make the ev...

Window repainting poblem while handling I/O
Hi All, I am working on a Document View Architecture application that communicates over serial port with a micro-controller. The application processes some data and sends it over the serial line to a hardware unit. When the application is not communicating over the serial port, all is fine. But, when it is sending data through serial port, and if I overlap my application window with any other window like windows explorer or IE or any other application that you name, my application window becomes all white. If I try to refresh it by clicking mouse over the window (so that I can minimize/maxi...

Discrepancy with report and x/z tape for weighted items
We sell chocolates by weight at one of our stores and we have found that there is a rounding issue with this item, it processes correctly but at the time of closing the sales amounts on the x/z report do not match, it is usually a penny different but because of this the batch won't integrate to our accounting software (Great Plains). Does anyone know how to fix this problem? ...

Does MSHTML handle script?
When a web page contains script codes like JavaScript or VBScript, IE can view the page correctly as long as you don't make configurations to disallow it. I am wondering where does IE handles these scripts. Something out of IE like WSH, or something inside IE? Can I do that in MSHTML? If a page contains a piece of script that draws an image at a certain location, can MSHTML understand that? I mean, in the HTML DOM tree, there is only a script element; or, there are two elements - the script element and the image element? Thank you. ...

How to handle consignment inventory?
To track inventory that's on consignment at various customer locations, would the answer be to set up additional site IDs for it? What if you had thousands of consignment sites - would that be a problem? So, for example, if product was moved out to 8,000 different customer sites, would you then do Inventory Transfer entries from the main warehouse site ID to the individual consignment site IDs as product is moved to the consignment locations? Then, when the product is sold, the items would be listed on invoices with the Site ID = the consignment site ID? Would it make sense to use ...

Handling Roles end-to-end
Hi All, I have an employees database which consists of personnel and salespeople. Let's say I have 2 offices. One in Los Angeles and one in New York. I have Sales Managers and Sales Reps in both locations. What's the simplest way to handle these roles in a system? For instance, how do I make sure that sales managers can only see their sales reps and no one else's. And regional managers can see all sales managers under them only. And system administrators can see everyone. How do you handle this type of hierarchy in a system end-to-end? Any kind of resource is...