DPM2010 RC backup of Hyper-V R2 Essentials Business Server Security Server kills network

We have virtualised Windows Essential Business Server across two physical 
boxes using Hyper-V R2. One of those boxes is running the Security Server 
(Threat Management Gateway) Last night we started a full Hyper-V-aware 
backup of  the security server to a single Protection Group on DPM2010 RC. 
As a result network traffic was so severe we had to terminate the backup. We 
have no issues performing a backup of a 30Gb Exchange Storage group so this 
increase in network traffic is not normal. Known issue ?

Ian
 

0
Ian
3/5/2010 10:24:05 AM
dataprotectionmanager 1083 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
1256 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

        If you want to control the network resources usage between DPM and 
Production server you can specify this in the DPM UI -> Management Tab -> 
Agents -> Select the protected server -> Click on Throttle Computer in 
Actions pane. You can change the network parameters as per your environment 
requirements.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Ian Moran" <ianm@konnexion.com> wrote in message 
news:#9qK93EvKHA.5812@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> We have virtualised Windows Essential Business Server across two physical 
> boxes using Hyper-V R2. One of those boxes is running the Security Server 
> (Threat Management Gateway) Last night we started a full Hyper-V-aware 
> backup of  the security server to a single Protection Group on DPM2010 RC. 
> As a result network traffic was so severe we had to terminate the backup. 
> We have no issues performing a backup of a 30Gb Exchange Storage group so 
> this increase in network traffic is not normal. Known issue ?
>
> Ian
>
> 
0
Praveen
3/5/2010 1:51:06 PM
Thanks I saw that but in this case the disruption was so severe it looked 
like there was a more serious issue at work. We don't have any issues with 
such network disruption when backing up similar size workloads

"Praveen D [MSFT]" <praveend@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:O9QFprGvKHA.800@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>        If you want to control the network resources usage between DPM and 
> Production server you can specify this in the DPM UI -> Management Tab -> 
> Agents -> Select the protected server -> Click on Throttle Computer in 
> Actions pane. You can change the network parameters as per your 
> environment requirements.
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen D [MSFT]
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
> rights.
>
> "Ian Moran" <ianm@konnexion.com> wrote in message 
> news:#9qK93EvKHA.5812@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> We have virtualised Windows Essential Business Server across two physical 
>> boxes using Hyper-V R2. One of those boxes is running the Security Server 
>> (Threat Management Gateway) Last night we started a full Hyper-V-aware 
>> backup of  the security server to a single Protection Group on DPM2010 
>> RC. As a result network traffic was so severe we had to terminate the 
>> backup. We have no issues performing a backup of a 30Gb Exchange Storage 
>> group so this increase in network traffic is not normal. Known issue ?
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> 
0
Ian
3/5/2010 5:27:14 PM
Hi,
is this the initial replication of the VM, if yes then you should expect the 
entire VHD file size to be transferred across the network. is that what you 
are seeing. once the IR is complete, then only changed blocks will be sent 
across from the next backup.

-- 
Thanks,
C.Prashanth [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

"Ian Moran" <ianm@konnexion.com> wrote in message 
news:eSE#bkIvKHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Thanks I saw that but in this case the disruption was so severe it looked 
> like there was a more serious issue at work. We don't have any issues with 
> such network disruption when backing up similar size workloads
>
> "Praveen D [MSFT]" <praveend@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:O9QFprGvKHA.800@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>        If you want to control the network resources usage between DPM and 
>> Production server you can specify this in the DPM UI -> Management Tab -> 
>> Agents -> Select the protected server -> Click on Throttle Computer in 
>> Actions pane. You can change the network parameters as per your 
>> environment requirements.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Praveen D [MSFT]
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>> rights.
>>
>> "Ian Moran" <ianm@konnexion.com> wrote in message 
>> news:#9qK93EvKHA.5812@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> We have virtualised Windows Essential Business Server across two 
>>> physical boxes using Hyper-V R2. One of those boxes is running the 
>>> Security Server (Threat Management Gateway) Last night we started a full 
>>> Hyper-V-aware backup of  the security server to a single Protection 
>>> Group on DPM2010 RC. As a result network traffic was so severe we had to 
>>> terminate the backup. We have no issues performing a backup of a 30Gb 
>>> Exchange Storage group so this increase in network traffic is not 
>>> normal. Known issue ?
>>>
>>> Ian
>>>
>>> 
0
C
3/15/2010 12:16:29 PM
Apologies for delay in getting back to you. Yes this would have been the 
first Express Full backup

"C.Prashanth [MSFT]" <prashcha@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:6D5D2DA4-6473-4DA9-AD25-49908E23B92E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> is this the initial replication of the VM, if yes then you should expect 
> the entire VHD file size to be transferred across the network. is that 
> what you are seeing. once the IR is complete, then only changed blocks 
> will be sent across from the next backup.
>
> -- 
> Thanks,
> C.Prashanth [MSFT]
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "Ian Moran" <ianm@konnexion.com> wrote in message 
> news:eSE#bkIvKHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks I saw that but in this case the disruption was so severe it looked 
>> like there was a more serious issue at work. We don't have any issues 
>> with such network disruption when backing up similar size workloads
>>
>> "Praveen D [MSFT]" <praveend@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>> news:O9QFprGvKHA.800@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>        If you want to control the network resources usage between DPM 
>>> and Production server you can specify this in the DPM UI -> Management 
>>> Tab -> Agents -> Select the protected server -> Click on Throttle 
>>> Computer in Actions pane. You can change the network parameters as per 
>>> your environment requirements.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Praveen D [MSFT]
>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> "Ian Moran" <ianm@konnexion.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:#9qK93EvKHA.5812@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>> We have virtualised Windows Essential Business Server across two 
>>>> physical boxes using Hyper-V R2. One of those boxes is running the 
>>>> Security Server (Threat Management Gateway) Last night we started a 
>>>> full Hyper-V-aware backup of  the security server to a single 
>>>> Protection Group on DPM2010 RC. As a result network traffic was so 
>>>> severe we had to terminate the backup. We have no issues performing a 
>>>> backup of a 30Gb Exchange Storage group so this increase in network 
>>>> traffic is not normal. Known issue ?
>>>>
>>>> Ian
>>>>
>>>> 
0
Ian
3/25/2010 11:09:59 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Export to DBIII from SQL Server 2000 DTS package
I am having a difficult time exporting a large table in SQL server (2GB) to a dBase DBIII .dbf file via a DTS package in SQL Server 2000. I've looked through many articles in Google groups and elsewhere about this and I'm still having trouble. When I use the standard Microsoft DBIII datasource the export works fine up until 255MB where I get the message "Cannot update; Table is currently locked". This KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;238431 mentions using the Microsoft FoxPro VFP Driver to access the DBIII files which I downloaded and instal...

Install Exchange 5.5 admin on Windows 2003 Server
Folks, I have the need to install the admin tools on a citrix farm running Windows 2003 Standard Server. The installation doesn't run; as it complains about the OS version. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to get just the admin tool to install? Thanks, /jb ...

Space usage on my server
I have my Exchange 2003 on a server with two partitions. The Win2003 is on the C: which is 10 gig. I thought that Exch2003 would use the D: which is 60 gig, but it doesn't seem to be using any of that space. Now I can starting to run out of room on C: and need to move the data over to D:.. I remember in 5.5 there was an optimization wizard. Is there anything like that in 2003? There is no Performance Optimizer, however, you can still move your Databases and/or log files. To move the databases (which is I suspect what you are wanting to do), go into Exchange System Manager, ...

Question about Virtual SMTP Server Logging.
I would like to enable logging on my SMTPVS. I am wondering how long these logs are kept and what performance issues this may cause..if any? Thanks Tony MCSE The performance issue would likely be negligible. However, the SMTP logs will be kept indefinitely - you'll want to delete them once in a while. -Josh "Tony" wrote: > I would like to enable logging on my SMTPVS. I am wondering how long these > logs are kept and what performance issues this may cause..if any? > > Thanks > Tony > MCSE ...

Very strange SQL Server 2005 Remote Connection Issue!!!
Hi All, I’m facing very strange SQL Server connection issue where I’m able to connect to default SQL 2000 instance remotely but not able to connect to SQL Server 2005 named instance remotely. I’m getting following error Error Text: “A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 – Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) ” Pl...

Active Directory Exchange Domain Server group missing.
Hi all, our Event Viewer's Application log display following event : eventid 9188 Source: MSExchangeSA Description: Microsoft Exchange attendant frailed to read the membershipof group 'cn=Ecxchange domain Servers' .............. i got the knowledgebase article but when i look in my Active directory there is no group Exhange Domain Servers..... Can i create a new one or what must i do ? Greetings Martin You can always run Domain Prep, but I bet somebody has moved or deleted the group. Mort Billups Crowley Maritime Corporation "Martin Schu-Schätter" wrote: &...

Callout Event for System User Business Unit Change
It would be useful to have a callout event available for the change of the business unit on a system user record. One example of how this could be used is to automatically add/remove users from a team based on the changing of their business unit. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree...

i'm trying to create a double sided business card with pub 2003
the only templates i find online are for 2007. isn't there a way to create double sided biz cards with publisher 2003? Sure, Insert, Page... Publisher 2007 templates should open in Publisher 2003. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "slowsky" <slowsky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA6CF93E-EE18-4E39-8C77-0B7241D9ECEE@microsoft.com... > the only templates i find online are for 2007. isn't there a way to create > double sided biz cards with publisher 2003? ...

Saving Excel File to a Network Drive
I am having an issue with saving Excel files, directly to a network share, from within Excel. I receive the following error message below: ############################################## The File could not be accessed. Try one of the following: Make sure the specified folder exists. Make sure the folder that contains the file is not read-only Make sure the file name does not contain any of the following characters: < > ? [ ] : | or * Make sure the file/path name doesn’t contain more than 218 characters ############################################## The root folder name...

Importing 99 Backup into Money 2005
Somebody has asked me how to import a backup of his data from Money 99 into a new pc running Money 2005. The new version doesn't recognise the backup. Is their some way of converting the backup so it can be imported and used? dc Exact method used? Help|About version of the M05? Exact error message?!? "dc" <dc@dc.com> wrote in message news:eB%23vzj94GHA.3836@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > The new version doesn't recognise the backup. I'll have to find out from him and get back... dc "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.co...

(Little) OT: How do I find a user guide for CA Security Suite 2010?
Hello again, all. Not an XP question per se but it does STEM from XP ( a little!). I bought CA Security Suite 2009 in a box and installed it tonight. Automatically updated itself to the 2010 version. Strangely, I saw NO link in the entire install sequence for a full User Guide in PDF format. Pretty common for many programs. Nor did I see a manual on the CD. Hmmm. Went to CA's site and looked around the Support section but NOTHING about downloads of ANY kind. The SW will update itself automatically without a downloaded update file and it DOES have a pretty comprehensive...

Server 2003 continually rebooting.....
I was elected to solve a serious issue for our little company, but I am having serious problems figuring it out. Our Dell Poweredge SC420 (running Windows SBS 2003) starting rebooting continually. This was odd as we have a 2 drive RAID 1 built in and I thought the second drive would take over should the first one fail. (It may well have....I would not be surprised if the warnings were ignored until both drives failed.) Nonetheless, here I am. I have replaced the main hard drive and disconnected the second drive. I have restored the primary drive's partitions from Acronis ...

Import web site from server
Is there any easy way of importing web site from server (go daddy) Just cannot find any info about this matter Working with Publisher 2007 It got a bit crazy when they stopped Frontpage,,,,,,,,,,Just gotten used to the prog. Even if he does decide to try Expression Web, it's similar enough with the basics to continue to maintain a site while learning the new features. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "DavidF" <Nope@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OUsEhdhgHHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > ...

Outlook is attempting to contact the Exchange server
I have one Outlook 2003 user that is consistantly getting the message "Outlook is attempting to contact the Exchange server". Sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds to retreive/delete/send a message. The Exchange Server is 2003 SP2 other users are not having this issue. Could the size of the mailbox be causing the problem? TIA Rick Simonds Probably not but how big is the mailbox? Sounds like networking issues with that computer -- have you run all the diagnostics on it? Checked DNS settings? Any other network-related issues with that machine? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP R...

Moving Exchange to a different server
I don't know if I am not looking good enough, but I can't seem to find any information on migrating exchange 2000 enterprise from one server to another. Our current server is starting to fail and we are ordering in a new one. I need to know steps in order to export active directory and everything with exchange so that I can import it on the new server. I hope that this is possible without data loss. Any ideas or recommendations on where to look would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297289/en-us or bring up a new server, move everyth...

Authoritative exchange 2003 server doesn't generate NDRs for non-existant addresses
Hi. I have a single Exchange 2003 (SP2) box in my Windows 2000 domain. All mail for my site is received by a linux sendmail box that forwards scans (spam/viruses) and sends it on to the exchange server. Retrospectively, I have a SMTP connector on the exchange box that forwards all mail to the linux box for sending. As it is, this setup works a treat. My problem is this: if I send an email to a non-existant email address in Active Directory, either from an external or internal source, exchange does not send a NDR back saying 'user does not exist' but rather relays the email to the lin...

Store.exe and network traffic?!?
I have noticed that my main exchange server in europe has connections open to each client on port 2104 (store.exe executable according to netstat -b). This includes clients in the US based on a different email server. Can anyone shed any light on why this would be? Many thanks On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:32:51 -0800, "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have noticed that my main exchange server in europe has connections open to >each client on port 2104 (store.exe executable according to netstat -b). >This includes clients in the US based on a diffe...

Remote Server did not respond to a connection attempt
My exchange 2003 has been working until 1/25/2005 when it suddenly began to queue up email with the information that 'The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.' I've reviewed my settings (which haven't changed) and checked to see if I have been put on a spam list (not). Any help in this would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan FYI: It was also on this day that Active Sync began to fail with a 3005 error. OMA and OWA as well as RPC over HTTP continue to work. Hope this additional info helps. Thanks "Dan Slaby" <dslaby3@comcast.net> wrote in...

GP and SQL Server
Hello, Do you need to install Dynamics GP and 3rd parties on SQL Server? What are the benefits of installing GP on SQL Server? Thank you, LM GP ONLY runs on SQL Server, not sure I understand the question. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "leslie.mclaren@encorebusiness.com" wrote: > Hello, > > Do you need to install Dynamics GP and 3rd parties on SQL Server? What > are the benefits of installing GP on SQL Server? &g...

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V not working?
I have a coworker whose Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V shortcut keys do not work in Excel XP. No one else in our work group has this problem. We checked with our IT support person and he is stumped as well. He can right-click and copy/paste that way...but cannot copy/paste using the shortcut keys. Any ideas? Try opening excel in safe mode: Windows Start button Excel /safe Do you still have the problem? If no, then maybe there's a "helpful" macro that's stealing your ctrl-c/ctrl-V's. Do any of the ctrl- shortcuts work? (maybe it's a malfunctioning keyboard). Ryan Sp...

SMTP Unable to relay after rem SAV 9.0 from exchange 2003 server
I recently removed SAV 9.0 from my Exchange 2003 server in preparation to upgrade it to SAV 10. After I removed it my Pop3/SMTP client could not send email, they still can receive through Pop. I checked the security log but did not see any authentication failures when the user tried to authenticate to relay through SMTP. I had made the mistake of installing the Pop/SMTP antivirus monitor on the exchange server which was poping up everytime an email arrived or left the server. I know stupid stupid mistake. I want to fixed the SMTP problem before I take the server to SAV10 (withOUT t...

securely deleting email
Is there a way to delete emails other than simply moving them to the deleted items outlook basket? I would like to delete certain emails by moving them to a software file shredder for secutiy purposes. Thanks, mgmombo If you use Shift+Delete that will bypass the Deleted Items folder. To clear out the white space left behind you can compact your PST file. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "mgm&qu...

Installing CRM 3.0 on two servers
Dear All, In every installation of CRM 3.0 in an environment with two servers (one for CRM and one for SQL/Reporting services) I am running in various security issues which either have to do with CRM or with Reporting Services or a combination of the two. What are your suggestions on the security credentials under which the different services comprising the solution should run under ? Reporting Services is also something which causes issues. Any suggestions "from the field" on this matter ? Also, what needs to be done when the AD is based on Windows 2003 as compared to AD which i...

Your Server reported a UID does not comply IMAP Standard
Hello a lo'ts of time a receive this error in Outlook 2007. (ScreenShot > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1840296/Outlook%20Errore%20ENG.JPG ) there's a way or a fix to solve it? The only solution that i've found is remove and create again the mail account. -- >>> www.ceccherini.net <<< "Andry79fi :-)" <andry79job@ceccherini.net> wrote in message news:hmoei6$6r2$1@tdi.cu.mi.it... > a lo'ts of time a receive this error in Outlook 2007. > (ScreenShot > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1840296/Outlook%20Errore%20ENG.JPG ) > &...

SQL Server Run-time error "-2147467259 (80004005):
I am connecting from an Access front end to a SQL Server 2005 Express database on a remote PC. I have enabled TCP/IP on the server and turned off firewalls on both boxes. The first recrodset opens and reads the data fine. The subsequent one (which runs after it gives the following error on update. Run-time error "-2147467259 (80004005): [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not find server 'EMPDB\SQLEXPRESS' in sys,servers. Verify that the correct server name was specified. If neccessary, execute the stored procedure sp_addlinkedserver to add the server to sys.s...