DPM2010 installation fails with ID: 820

I have installed DPM2010 several times now without any problems.

The past 5 installations have all gone wrong however and all fail with the
same error. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

My server is a Windows 2008 R2 server with 4GB of RAM and a few local disks.
Because the previous installations went wrong, I reinstalled the OS, did a
Windows Update and made the machine a member of a Windows Server 2008 R2
domain.

The DPM installation starts out fine and accepts the configuration. It also
installs SQL Server 2008 without error. Fairly quickly after the Data
Protection manager part of the installation starts I get this error:

The Data Protection Manager installation did not complete successfully. For
details, click the Error tab.

Setup cannot query the system configuration.

Verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is running.
If the WMI service is not running, in Control Panel, click Administrative
Tools, and then click Services. Right-click Windows Management
Instrumentation, and then click Start.

Of course I checked the WMI service which is running ok. I have rebooted the
server, restarted WMI and even tried to install Web Role manually, but to no
effect.

Hope someone can help me.

I have done this in two newly installed Hyper-V virtual machines in the same
domain, but with the same error.

Regards,

Hans Vredevoort (MVP)

Make sure the "backward compatibility" components of IIS 7 is installed on
your system:

1.  IIS 6 Management Compatibility
2.  IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
3.  IIS 6 WMI Compatibility

Any other error messages in the log file?
(%SYSTEMDRIVE%\DPMLogs\DPMSetup.log)
--
Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA
Houston, TX

"Hans Vredevoort (Nobel, NL)"
<HansVredevoortNobelNL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have installed DPM2010 several times now without any problems.
>
> The past 5 installations have all gone wrong however and all fail with the
> same error. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.
>
> My server is a Windows 2008 R2 server with 4GB of RAM and a few local
> disks.
> Because the previous installations went wrong, I reinstalled the OS, did a
> Windows Update and made the machine a member of a Windows Server 2008 R2
> domain.
>
> The DPM installation starts out fine and accepts the configuration. It
> also
> installs SQL Server 2008 without error. Fairly quickly after the Data
> Protection manager part of the installation starts I get this error:
>
> The Data Protection Manager installation did not complete successfully.
> For
> details, click the Error tab.
>
> Setup cannot query the system configuration.
>
> Verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is
> running.
> If the WMI service is not running, in Control Panel, click Administrative
> Tools, and then click Services. Right-click Windows Management
> Instrumentation, and then click Start.
>

> Of course I checked the WMI service which is running ok. I have rebooted
> the
> server, restarted WMI and even tried to install Web Role manually, but to
> no
> effect.
>
> Hope someone can help me.
>
> I have done this in two newly installed Hyper-V virtual machines in the
> same
> domain, but with the same error.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans Vredevoort (MVP)

0
Santhosh

Log Event-ID 1039
We are using Exch 2003 SP1. In the following KB there are only log events until 1038. In my log I have also 1039 events. What do they mean? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=822930 This event ID is for the IMF feature of exchange 2003. When email is flagged as SPAM, you get a 1039. Marcel R=FCegg wrote: > We are using Exch 2003 SP1. In the following KB there are only log events > until 1038. In my log I have also 1039 events. What do they mean? >=20 > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=3D822930 ...

Backup All Outlook files on (C) to Another Installed Hard Drive (D)
I'd like to back up all my Outlook 2000 SP-3 files: e-mail files/folders; calendar, contacts, and so forth to my 60 GB backup disk. I'd also like to copy all files to CD-RW drive on occassion to protect against total system failure. How do I go about this? I don't know which folder and file names Outlook uses. Thanks in advance. The most important things are in a *.pst -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange...

Unable to open excel 2007 file in excel 2002 despite having installed compatibility pack for office 2007
Hi I have installed office compatibility pack for office 2007. However, every time I try to open an xlsx file, I get unrecognized format error in Excel 2002. I can open docx without an issue. It appears to be that the problem is related specifically to excel 2007. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office XP, Office XP SP3, compatibility pack without an iota of difference Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance Hi CW Is SP3 installed? Microsoft Excel 2002 with Service Pack 3 -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "CW" <cw@nospam.com> wrote in mes...

SBS 2003 Backup Fails to Backup priv1.edb
We have SBS 2003 SP2, with Exchange server SP2. Our Exchange database size is around 32GB. Lately when I run SBS Backup to a Tape I get Backup Status Failed. The issue as I can see, is that as it tries to backup C:\ it has issues with Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb But later when it backs up Exchange Database it goes through fine. Any help with this is very much appreciated. Below is the Log. 10/05/2010 11:00 PM ------------------------------- Date: 10/05/2010 Time: 11:00 PM User: SYSTEM ------------------------------- Backup Runner started. NTMS session started...

Data DeDuplication in DPM2010
Hi, We are new to DPM product. Does Data DeDuplication is available with DPM2010..? If yes is there any guide/document about how to test it or how it works in DPM2010. Thanks, Tejas Data Deduplication is not available with DPM 2010. But DPM stores only the changed data contents using VSS. It reduces space requirement between two recovery points, at the same time it don't do any disk space optimization if a single file is being protected from multiple servers/places. Can you please take a look at the following thread where DPM and Dedup related behavior is discusse...

Upgrade failed
I have been using Money 2000 for more than four years and decided to upgrade to Money 2005. However, Money 2005 crashed when trying to convert the old file. I tried using the salvage tool. In quick repair mode it reported no error, while in standard mode an "Invalid Database" error was reported early in the scan. What should I do now? Is there anyway that old file can be repaired and be converted by the version? Thanks in advance. In microsoft.public.money, David Lam wrote: >I have been using Money 2000 for more than four years and decided to upgrade >to Money ...

What Experience Installing CRM on SBS2003?
Hello All, I searched this discussion and found some recent posts on using SBS with CRM. I am hesitant to install CRM on SBS2003 as there are already a lot of services running on SBS i.e. Exchange Server, SQL Server, ISA Server among others. CRM Implementation guide recommends CRM on separate servers with SQL and Exchange on separate servers except in the instance of SBS. I wonder what the client threshold is for SBS? What hardware are you running with CRM on SBS? e.g. ram, processor(s), hdd I like SBS 2003 and getting to know CRM and want to offer the best of both without any issu...

Unable to copy/paste from emails after Service pack 2 install
I installed the Office Service Pack 2 last night. I have Windows XP and Office 2003. Since then I can no longer copy and paste emails to Publisher or WORD. I uninstalled Office 2003 (Home Edition) and reinstalled, but that didn't help. Anyone else having this problem and a remedy? I think new Service Packs are somewhat like new cars...you must give them several months for the manufacturer to get the kinks out before you foolishly jump in and believe it's a good thing to have. Thanks! ...

Moving a file from A to B fails with incorrect syntax error
Hi, I am moving a file from c:\location a\subdir\subsubdir\file.wav to c:\location b\subdir\subsubdir\file.wav but the error message i get is "failed with error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." I am running on a vista home premium machine, using visual studio 6 if that helps. Any ideas? TIA Tony Tony wrote: > Hi, > > I am moving a file from c:\location a\subdir\subsubdir\file.wav to > c:\location b\subdir\subsubdir\file.wav > > but the error message i get is > > "failed with error 123: The filename,...

Error Missing File: ieeulp.chm ??? winXP3 IE8 Unninstall Install
Can somone help me Please? This IE8 is driving me nut�s. I realised that I had IE7 and IE8 installed 3 days ago and I had tried to remove IE8 months because I was having all sorts of Problems after Installing IE8! I found I could not because I had already Installed IE8 first? So after Uninstalling �Service Pack 3� as per instruction�s in Widows Support: [How to Uninstall SP3] [ 927177 How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7] Note The steps that are listed in KB 927177 also apply to Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1. Tried to Remove Ie7 from/ Run/ In the Open box, type %windir%\ie7\spuni...

DPM cant push out agents after installing 2.0.8844.0 hotfix rollup
i am running DPM2007 sp1 with Windows server 2003 Sp2. Before installing the 8844 hot fix, synchronization kept failing and i would get hundreds of email warning telling me the protected server is unavailable. the error message was: DPM could not communicate with the Protection Agent service on ProtectedServer.Contoso.local. (ID 308 Details: The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)) I found this KB article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971411, and install the two resolution provided. after installing the two, it fixes the connection proble, but dpm can NO longer backup my ...

I've installed the Exch 2000 management tools on XP...
I've installed the Exch 2000 management tools on XP, but the ADUC console still doesn't give me the Exchange properties on users... Any idea why and how I can fix this? ...

Install the pack from the Microsoft
--xabvvsgbqodugilzb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="nverxyieb"; type="multipart/alternative" --nverxyieb Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ikqvqcebrybprun" --ikqvqcebrybprun Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "June 2002, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to p...

installing Money Essentials on Win2K machine
I just downloaded the latest Money Essentials from digitalriver, and it won't install on my machine -- it gives the error: "Microsoft Money requires Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or a more recent update" I'm running Windows 2000, and have all my updates. Anybody know what the problem is here? Thanks -- M9 In microsoft.public.money, minerva wrote: >I just downloaded the latest Money Essentials from digitalriver, and >it won't install on my machine -- it gives the error: > >"Microsoft Money requires Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or a >m...

online help files won't open from office since I installed IE8
I have had several problems after installing IE8. A very troublesome is that the online help files will not open from within any Office program. INstead I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." How do I fix this? I am using XP, IE8 and MSOffice 2003. ...

GP10 SP2 Installation
Greetings everyone, I am currently attempting to install GP10 SP2 in my test environment, however I'm not having much luck. The GP client is updated correctly as far as I can tell, however when I attempt to login to GP Utilities for the first time I am unable to update DYNAMICS and the other company databases I have. So far here's what I've got: 1) Install SP1 (tried both on a client with and without SP1 already installed) - the installation completes normally with nothing to indicate any issues. 2) I log in to GP utilities (no problem). 3) A dialogue is displayed that says...

The operation failed. The object could not !
As of the last 2 weeks I have seen a flux of people comming to the help desk with this problem. I have searched the knowledge base and the solution offered is to delete the profile and recreate it. This how ever only fixed 2 of about 30 complaints. Out of those 2, 1 has come back and the problem is happening again. What I have discovered. Send and receive button will retun error. f9 will also retun error shift f9 (which checks mail for the imap specifically instead of check all mail) works and doesnt return error. All these systems are windows XP with outlook XP and they all have p...

installing problem
I am trying to install microsoft sales for outlook & i get message : setup was unable to install the .msi file for Microsoft CR Do you have any suggestions ? do you have a little bit more specific error? maybe the outlook version is not new enough? "Amit" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98A5B779-828C-431F-9807-7B1D80EC6328@microsoft.com... > I am trying to install microsoft sales for outlook & i get message : > setup was unable to install the .msi file for Microsoft CRM > > Do you have any suggestions ? ...

Company ID in Multicompany Smartlist Builder
The multicompany checkbox in SLB in 9.0 is nice but it would be great if a Company ID field was made available so we could see which company database each record was pulled from..... ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssol...

Installing Problem
I have a computer with Office 2000 installed on it. I needed to install Access 97. After I installed it, everytime I use Access 97 icon to open some databases that were originally created with Access97, Access 2000 opens instead, further more the Access 97 icon shows like Access 2K icon !! A lot of other users have the two versions installed and are able to open Access97. Why this is happening on my machine now? I have an urgent need to open a database with Access 97. Please help. Thanks a lot. Hi Tamer, See the following articles for information on installing and running multiple ...

Custom 2 axis chart saved as template fails to load
I created a custom chart by selecting 3 columns of data and charting it with the Stock -> Hi-Lo-Close. Then I added a 4th series and plotted that on the secondary axis. I saved the result as a template, but when I now select 4 columns of data and try to plot it on my custom template, I get: Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart type. Does anyone know what I could do to get this template to work? I tried loading 3 columns and got the same message. Thanks. ...

Shared Calendar "operation failed"
We are running Outlook 2003 / XP Pro SP2 / Exchange Server 2003 SP1 / Windows Server 2003 One of our users is unable to "Label" appointments for any of her assigNments. When she tries to apply the "Must Attend" or other color coding label to the appointment, she gets "Operation Failed." I thought it might be that you can't label appointments in a shared calendar, but I got one of my co-workers to give me access to his calendar with editor rights and I was able to label entries on his calendar. So ... any ideas? I searched support.microsoft.com. No luck. ...

Crmexchangequeue event ids 5892 and 5898
We keep getting spam sent to our crm exchange queue. How do we stop this or at least stop the messages from appearing in our event logs? They are starting to hog space on our e-mail server. ...

Installation Program Problem XP home
I have a problem with my computer. My computer doesn't install programs downloaded from the internet and i have just reformatted it. What should i do? And the setup appears and when installation begins it disappears but the ..exe of the program on the task manager appears functional. When you hit the download button are you saving or opening? Could be your temp cache is full and it can't handle the download. In Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete files. (In IE7, delete, delete files). -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ new...

check if ocx is installed
Hi All, I have a dialog with an activeX control on it. If the control is not installed properly, the dialog fails to display even with "no fail create selected. Is there any way I can programmatically check wether "mycontrol.ocx" is installed? Cheers, Rob You could try using the GetClassFile API...not really sure if this will do it for you though. The only other way I can think of is to check the registry for the CLSID in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID branch. HTH -- ============ Frank Hickman NobleSoft, Inc. ============ Thanks Frank, checking the registry did the tric...