DPM2010 HyperV Only VHD Backup

We have a HyperV cluster using CSV.  The children backups run fine.  However,
when trying to restore one of the children via the console, we are informed
the selected element is only the vhd, not the virtual machine.

What do we need to do to be able to backup and restore the full virtual
machine as it was in 2007?  Recreating configuration files for every virtual
system we need to restore takes longer than it should, as well as causing the
system to see all devices as being fresh, thereby losing network card
configurations and other important data.

Select "All protected" on the tree view control, at this point you should
see "Backup using ...\VM name" on the right hand side box. If you select the
VM at this point on the right hand side box and then click on recover you
will get the option of alternate location recovery.

--
Thanks
Shyama

"MGoldencrown" <MGoldencrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a HyperV cluster using CSV.  The children backups run fine.
> However,
> when trying to restore one of the children via the console, we are
> informed
> the selected element is only the vhd, not the virtual machine.
>
> What do we need to do to be able to backup and restore the full virtual
> machine as it was in 2007?  Recreating configuration files for every
> virtual
> system we need to restore takes longer than it should, as well as causing
> the
> system to see all devices as being fresh, thereby losing network card
> configurations and other important data.

0
Shyama
3/29/2010 6:18:35 AM
Hi there,

It seems like you are choosing the vhd for the restore operation. The
Recovery UI in DPM 2010 is different from DPM 2007 in that when you select
the VM name in the left Tree pane, the center pane lists all vhds inside the
VM. To list the VM in the center pane you need to select the "All Microsoft
Hyper-V Data" listing in the Tree pane.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
--Angad.

--
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights

"MGoldencrown" <MGoldencrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a HyperV cluster using CSV.  The children backups run fine.
> However,
> when trying to restore one of the children via the console, we are
> informed
> the selected element is only the vhd, not the virtual machine.
>
> What do we need to do to be able to backup and restore the full virtual
> machine as it was in 2007?  Recreating configuration files for every
> virtual
> system we need to restore takes longer than it should, as well as causing
> the
> system to see all devices as being fresh, thereby losing network card
> configurations and other important data.

0
Angad
3/29/2010 6:21:09 AM
There appears to be a small bug in the UI.

When I first expand the Hyper-V server, I see All Protected Data.  When I
select this in the tree view, I do indeed see the Backup Using Child
Partition Snapshop/Saved State.  However, I do not see any recovery points
(which do exist) when I select the Backup Using... in the Recoverable Items
pane.

If I drill into the Backup Using... item, either through the tree or
Recoverable Items pane, I do see the VHDs.  When I select the VHD, the
recovery points become visible.  Once visible Recovery points are seen, I can
then go back and select the All Protected HyperV Data, and then select the
Backup Using..., and then the recovery points are visible.  When the recovery
points are visible, then I am indeed able to restore the full configuration,
which is great.

"Shyama Hembram[MSFT]" wrote:

> Select "All protected" on the tree view control, at this point you should
> see "Backup using ...\VM name" on the right hand side box. If you select the
> VM at this point on the right hand side box and then click on recover you
> will get the option of alternate location recovery.
>
> --
> Thanks
> Shyama
> [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranies, and confers no rights]
>
> "MGoldencrown" <MGoldencrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a HyperV cluster using CSV.  The children backups run fine.
> > However,
> > when trying to restore one of the children via the console, we are
> > informed
> > the selected element is only the vhd, not the virtual machine.
> >
> > What do we need to do to be able to backup and restore the full virtual
> > machine as it was in 2007?  Recreating configuration files for every
> > virtual
> > system we need to restore takes longer than it should, as well as causing
> > the
> > system to see all devices as being fresh, thereby losing network card
> > configurations and other important data.

I replied with my findings to your colleague's post regarding this topic.

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction!

"Angad Pal Singh [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> It seems like you are choosing the vhd for the restore operation. The
> Recovery UI in DPM 2010 is different from DPM 2007 in that when you select
> the VM name in the left Tree pane, the center pane lists all vhds inside the
> VM. To list the VM in the center pane you need to select the "All Microsoft
> Hyper-V Data" listing in the Tree pane.
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> --Angad.
>
> --
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "MGoldencrown" <MGoldencrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a HyperV cluster using CSV.  The children backups run fine.
> > However,
> > when trying to restore one of the children via the console, we are
> > informed
> > the selected element is only the vhd, not the virtual machine.
> >
> > What do we need to do to be able to backup and restore the full virtual
> > machine as it was in 2007?  Recreating configuration files for every
> > virtual
> > system we need to restore takes longer than it should, as well as causing
> > the
> > system to see all devices as being fresh, thereby losing network card
> > configurations and other important data.

Recovering Contacts from BackUp Exec
I need to recover a contacts file from Backup Exec into Exchange but, the contacts file is from an older version of Exchange (2000 small business) and the backup was taken using an older version of Backup Exec (Version8.5), and I've since upgraded our Exchange to Enterprise 2003. While Backup Exec 8.5 allows me to redirect the files, I would like to know if any has anyone had any experience of a similar scenario? I suspect this will work, but don't wish to take any chances. Any help would be appreciated. Mark. "contacts file "? Do you mean the contacts...

Exchange won't backup
We have backed up using NTBackup the procedures in the 'how to' section of the Microsoft website, it shows no errors but when we view the backup tape for all subfolders in Microsoft Information Store they say ''No entries Found' We only have one site, we do have public folders and the restore says errors 'refer to event log' and the event log says 'refer to backup report'..... All the other files do backup up successfully ie. user folder files and documents. The folders are created ie. all folders in First Storage Group (public folder, mailbox store ...

Backup of Exchange server seems to "hang" at times.
Hi! I have XS 5.5 running on W2K SBS. I am backing up using Veritas 8.5. About 25% of the time it takes an inordinate amount of time to backup the mailboxes. My transfer to tape rate is normally 200 Mb/min, then it goes down to 2-3Mb/min. I am backing up many other folders and ther is never a slow down in those. What could be causing this? Also, if anyone out there is familiar with Veritas, at times the backup will say it fails, but there will be no indication of why in the log file. Any ideas? Thanks! I will look into upgrading in the not to distant future. I am not getting a...

will microsoft's built in backup program corrupt an open session of outlook?
local pc, no domain, simple workgroup, internet only outlook I heard that xcopy will corrupt outlook if outlook is open when xcopy is invoked. What about using w2k/xp's microsoft backup to backup outlook while it is left open? Running backup across the network or locally. Thank "You". jd wrote: > local pc, no domain, simple workgroup, internet only outlook > > I heard that xcopy will corrupt outlook if outlook is open when xcopy is > invoked. > What about using w2k/xp's microsoft backup to backup outlook while it is > left open? > Running backup ac...

Microsoft Personal Folder backup
You know the Microsoft PF backup tool? Its working fine on windows XP but I can't make it work with Win7. I read on the download page: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en#QuickInfoContainer That Win7 is not with the supported OS. Is it temporary? Will it be supported in the future or is there any other tool for windows 7? All it does is copy the pst - you can do that yourself. if you need help finding the files, see http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm - the path for Win7 is the sam...

Backup a users mailbox in Exchange 2003
We have recently terminated a couple employees, and I would like to make a copy of their mailboxes. How do I go about doing this? -- Chuck On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:36:02 -0800, chb12 <chb12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have recently terminated a couple employees, and I would like to make a >copy of their mailboxes. How do I go about doing this? Exmerge is always a good option. What I normally do is open their mailbox on my outlook, then create a PST (name it the users name). Once the PST is created I copy the contents of their mailbox into the PST. From there you ...

Backup of Outlook on CD
I'm trying to figure out how to backup outlook data to CD and if keeps telling me D drive is not accessible. I also can't get to the standard file that pfbackup.exe uses to backup on the C: drive. It doesn't seem you can reach that file via Explorer. Please tell me the easy way to backup outlook data to a CD. CDs are read only - Outlook needs to write to the CD. If you are using a CD-RW, then it can work. Otherwise, it will not. Also, what is the exact problem you are having with the pfbackup.exe? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to kee...

SQL backup corrupted or unreadable
I did a backup of a 36GB SQL database to a USB hard drive, which completed successfully. When I went to copy that backup to my archive server, at around 40% it errored aaying the file was unreadable or corrupted. Of course, I had already deleted the database since I needed room on my server and thought I had a good backup. I've tried everything I know, including trying to undelete the databse files from the server, which found nothing and running chkdsk on the USB drive. Of course, when I did that, it showed the file as having 0 KB! So am I hosed or what? is there anything e...

Automatic BackUps
I'd like to have my program automatically create a backup (not automatically save). Is there a download I can get quickly that will do that for me? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/mvp/MVPPage.asp#JanKarelPieterse AutoSafe.zip HTH Paul -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Be advised to back up your WorkBook before attempting to make changes. ------...

IS backup file size
Hello - We have a scheduled task to perform a full (normal) backup of our Exchange IS every night. We have roughly 115 employees at our company. I noticed that our backup file is 67GB. Is this file size too large? If so, what is the 'average' backup file size? Just to give you further info, we have our mailbox quota set to 500mb. 400mb for warning, 450mb for denying send, and 500mb for denying send/receive. So, my question would be, am I ok with this massize file size for the backup, or are there something that I need to tweak. Thanks in advance. Hi Nathan, "Natha...

Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool
Good Morning, Is it just me or does this tool not work with 2007, is it is not listed on the file menu as the online article suggests. Tom Works fine "Gandalf252002" <grandor2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:p5d9q5huf7u0u1iavl7cqk2ofeh7bt2hia@4ax.com... > Good Morning, > > Is it just me or does this tool not work with 2007, is it is not > listed on the file menu as the online article suggests. > > Tom On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 07:44:55 -0400, Gandalf252002 <grandor2002@yahoo.com> wrote: >Good Morning, > >Is it just m...

CRM 3.0 VSS Writer Timeout
I continue to have problems when backing up my CRM server. It is a 2003 std member server and i am using veritas backup exec 10(on another server) to backup. A 3rd party is doing the crm work and we have yet to go live. They are working on customizing and sync with our accounting sql database. Up until a week ago, the crm server backup up fine(all software was installed at this point). During the CRM config process, something got "turned on" to start my problem. I am getting timeout errors with my VSS writers on that server. I downloaded a MS hotfix that was supposed to help ...

Exchange-Backup with NTBackup
Hello, we try to backup an exchange database with ntbackup. Although we followed KB-Article 820272 making a seperate job for backing up exchange and moved the database away from System-drive, still there are error-reports 8001 and 8019 in the event-viewer. The Job-protocoll of ntbackup displays: Backup started on 5/15/2003 at 2:33 PM. The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Backup is already active. ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()' additional data '-' The ' Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Functions called in an invalid sequen...

Trouble Restoring Backup of Money 2002 to 2004
Let's continue the conversation on restoring backups a little bit. My HD crashed so I decided to upgrade to Money 2004 on the new disk. But now I can't restore my old data that goes back years. When I double click on the old mny or mbf files Money 2004 locks after trying to convert for a few seconds. Even the floppy backup I had will not work becuase the floopy can't be read for some reason. Am I screwed? Your thoughts are valued! Bob Can you copy the backup floppy to your hard disk? Try that and then try restoring from there. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP -...

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

backup window freezes!
Hi, Everytime I try to backup either thru the wizard or with run...ntbackup.exe... or try to copy to C: (not sure if I am doing this right tho), the backup window freezes, and the only way to continue, is to end task, with nothing accomplished. What can I do? Thanks, Jim "JS" wrote: > Hi, > Everytime I try to backup either thru the wizard or with > run...ntbackup.exe... or try to copy to C: (not sure if I am doing this > right tho), the backup window freezes, and the only way to continue, is to > end task, with nothing accomplished. What can...

How do i save backup copy in a different folder
When i am saving a file by selecting "Always create backup", backup file is saved in the same folder, how do i save this backup file in a different folder. - Microsoft Excel 2000 Try using the SaveAsCopy method instead. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "mekraj" <mekraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC123C3C-3C64-47C3-8EB8-0EB1992B92D9@microsoft.com... > When i am saving a file by selecting "Always create backup", backup file is > saved in the same folder, how do i save this backup file in a...

HDD Image Backup Restore Software Recommendations
I currently use WinXP Pro SP3, with Acronis TI Home 2010 for backup = purposes for my HDD. I am investigating other choices, because what I = want is a package that will easily allow me to make an image of my HDD, = then restore it to a new, different-size replacement HDD (say, from = current 120 GB drive to a new 500 GB drive). As well, it would help if = the software could do P2P restores where it can restore to a completely = new PC system. I see Paragon offers a Pro package that seems to do the task but I am = not sure; anyone use it now? Does anyone have iodeas or suggestion...

backup outlook 2007 email files
I do a regular backup of the PST file, but would like to backup individual emails in stored file folders. Any suggestions? Email folders are not stored separately from the rest of the PST file. If you want to store them separately, then you'd need to create a second PST file to which you could copy them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Charlie Woll" <cwoll@citlink.net> wrote in message news:eLSJ6C17IHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I do a regular backup of the PST file, but would like to backup individual >emails in stored file folders. Any suggestions? &...

a statement on multiple backups
I've always stated that having multiple backups is a good idea, well last week I found out how good of an idea it was, I had recently installed a new dual core cpu ie faster better etc. I made a backup before I did the upgrade, I also installed a new larger hd for primary drive C, well to my sad suprise I found my latest update to my backups corrupted everything, and I had only one copy of my backups ie Image of Drive C. anyway I ran into multiple issues, bad SATA cable, etc, it's taken me all week to get it up and operating, when Id rather be outside playing in the sunsh...

Backup Settings on 2 computers
I have MoneyPlus installed on 2 computers at home...on my laptop and on my desktop. I have the laptop open my file from the desktop computer on the 2nd hard drive In Money 2005, my backup settings for the desktop was to automatically backup to the F: drive everytime I closed the program and it would backup to a thumb drive every 2 weeks. On the laptop I told it not to backup. Problem: With MoneyPlus, if I have the desktop program set to the backup schedule as stated above, then the settings get transfered over to the laptop. If I take out the settings on the laptop for the backup, wh...

Restore SBS from file-system backup
I've been backing up the SBS using the backup wizard. The backup process works great, but I'm concerned about the size of the backup. Space is getting tight on our bacup tapes, and as I understand it, my Exchange DB is backed up twice because the SBS backs up the Exchange Organization as an item, and then backs up the entire file system, which includes my DB and transaction log files. To alleviate this problem, I've recently stopped using the SBS backup process, and instead just take a disk image of the entire server every night. This raises a number of questions and pot...

Backups
I created an incremental backup of one of my databases and set it to backup every hour as a test. It's on SQL Server 2000. How do I stop it. It's not listed under maintenance plan anywhere. Matthew (no@example.com) writes: > I created an incremental backup of one of my databases and set it to > backup every hour as a test. It's on SQL Server 2000. How do I stop > it. It's not listed under maintenance plan anywhere. Look under Jobs in the SQL Server Agent node. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Links for SQL Server...

Info Store Corruption and Backup
Hello, Exchange 2000 (Small stores on a single server). Last night, I moved my EDB and STM files for both my Mailbox Store and Public Store to another drive on my server by following the directions in the following articles (they both say essentially the same thing): http://www.msexchange.org/pages/article_p.asp?id=535 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=270693 I did not move the transaction logs because the MSExchange.org article eluded that they should not be on the same drive. That said, I left the transaction log location alone and only moved the databases. Anyway, the move went we...

Backup program needed
Running WinXP Pro SP2 on Dell with 3G CPU and 2G RAM. I bought a Seagate external hard drive for backup purposes and now I'm looking for a good backup program. The one that came with the Seagate isn't very good because it makes you backup on a schedule rather than when you want and Microsoft's SyncToy is worthless because I don't have all of my folders under My Documents so I have to make folder pairs for each folder. If there is something free out there that would be great. I'd like to be able to have the program run and only change the folders/files th...