DPM to DPM untrusted

Hi There,

I'm trying to find out if in DPM 2010 a DPM to DPM backup is supported
across untrusted domains? From my reading it appears to not be supported but
this is a pretty common/useful scenario for a number of companies.

If this is supported can the one DPM server backup multiple DPM servers from
multiple untrusted domains?

Thanks

    One way to solve this is by establishing a two way trust between the DPM
machines domains. But protecting two different servers without trust between
the servers domains in not supported. We will consider this in future DPM
releases. Thanks for bringing this into our focus.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi There,
>
> I'm trying to find out if in DPM 2010 a DPM to DPM backup is supported
> across untrusted domains? From my reading it appears to not be supported
> but
> this is a pretty common/useful scenario for a number of companies.
>
> If this is supported can the one DPM server backup multiple DPM servers
> from
> multiple untrusted domains?
>
> Thanks

0
Praveen

What about DPM 2010 Rc
Anyone use 2010 RC in a production environment? I've put it on a VM to look at it, and it would be nice to use it in production. My Number 1 Reason To Upgrade >>> Can Disable Daily Tape Backups for Saturday and Sunday What's your reason(s) for upgrading? How is it working out for you? Yes. 6 protection groups, 10 servers, 20 vms on a 6 node hyper-v cluster with csv. Runs great. A few quirks here and there but overall great. A far cry from our last backup solution. I basically set it and forget it. Check it when I get in to the office in the morning. ...

DCM for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010
Does anyone know if a DCM pack is available for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010? If you are looking for System center configuration management pack for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 they are available for DPM health monitoring. If you want DPM 2010 Management pack please mail me at praveend-at-microsoft-dot-com. The closest answer to DCM pack for DPM would be DPM's Best practice analyzer guidelines which can be downloadable from DPM sites. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John H" <JohnH@di...

DPM Console crash
Hi there, In our DPM setup we have a created a filter to disable the weekend back-up. It was working fine till a couple of weeks a go. Now when we want to change the date in the filter the DPM console crashes. Does anyone has a solution for this problem? Witch errlog should we troubleshoot Regards, MihaiM Hi MihaiM, You can look at the error logs for UI at: DPM Install location \ temp. Paste the error logs excerpt about exception here or send the error logs to MUKULS [AT] MICROSOFT [DOT] COM -- Thanks and Regards Mukul This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Backing up CCR Passive node with DPM (block level)?
Hello Please check the link from the technet forums I posted. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/fb88bed7-c024-4585-b58d-a8ef58176fc4 Suggested to check out the new threads instead. Basically there is an option in DPM to always choose the passive node in a CCR cluster. I've heard there is a problem though where a consistency check is required and it can transfer up to 90% of the data. Why is DPM doing a block level? Isnt it easier to just check the log files and the database files instead? I'm not an exper...

Untrusted error on RU 7 auto update s
We continue to have problems with multiple clients trying to get the auto update to work. We configure the patchconfig setup which looks to take fine on RU7. We then go to an Outlook CRM client where it says it needs to update - sees the RU7- then bombs with an Untrusted error which shows as pointing to the MS site. However, the URL download key in the registry is correct and we can't find any other reason it's point to the MS site. We have now had this come on two seperate customer updates and on the first, we just did it manually, this client has 75 seats. Any clue? ...

DPM to DPM untrusted
Hi There, I'm trying to find out if in DPM 2010 a DPM to DPM backup is supported across untrusted domains? From my reading it appears to not be supported but this is a pretty common/useful scenario for a number of companies. If this is supported can the one DPM server backup multiple DPM servers from multiple untrusted domains? Thanks One way to solve this is by establishing a two way trust between the DPM machines domains. But protecting two different servers without trust between the servers domains in not supported. We will consider this in future DPM releas...

unable to back up using only tape (without disk) with secondary DPM
I have setup a secondary DPM with only tape capabilities (no disk available). When I tried to create a new protection group on the secondary DPM, I unchecked the short term option (disk) and only select the long term option (tape), the "Next" button will get greyed out. Any ideas why is this happening? It happens to all except when I try to protect the Primary DPM or protect itself (secondary DPM). Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice C# .NET Windows Task Scheduler http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9f75423c-4849-4866-ad48-8fbd2ed2ed88/c-...

DPM Consistency Check
I have a 735 GB volume I'm using DPM 2010 on. If I throw it a do a consistency check......it been running for over 5 hours. I plan on protecting a larger file server with millions of files and over 4 TB of data. How long can I expect a consistency check to take? If a consistency check takes days...what happens to my backups? The time to complete a consistency check depends on the change rate for the data, the available network bandwidth, and the time that has passed since the previous successful synchronization job. Here is a good reference chart: http://technet.micro...

windows 2008 system state error on primary dpm server
I have two dpm servers, one primary and one secondary. Secondary backs up the primary. Primary server is disk only, Secondary is tape only. Both are windows 2008 x86 running the latest dpm fix pack. When the 2ndary backs up the primary DPM server system state it fails with an error. I also cannot perform a system state of the primary DPM server from the windows backup on the server either. Both have just been rebuilt, all partitions wiped, recreated. Below are the two errors....Any thoughts? Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Backup Date: ...

DPM to DPM replication issues
Have a DPM 2007 sp1 server [with hotfix for HyperV] replicating to a 2nd (offsite) DPM 2007 sp1 server. I am trying to backup full VHD's (agent running on 2008 server that is running hypervisor). These vhd files are all larger than 50 gb and one is 600gb. we have a 5-10mb upload - and plenty of bandwidth at our colo. main issue is our file server backup, it is about 650 gb of total vhd files that i was able to get consistent once but after a failed backup it is inconsistent again. have tried a few times to run consistency checks but after a few 100 hours they get intur...

DPM 2010 End-User Recovery UI
Hey All, In my test environment I'm trying to configure the following: DPM 2010 RC server is in domain A My client workstation (windows 7) is in domain B The client backup works fine, I can recover on the DPM server, I can recover on the client through Previous versions without any problems However, in the Client DPM UI, when I go to Recover, I get the following error: "DPM found no recovery points which you are authorized to restore on the specified DPM server. You can restore only those recover points for which you were an administrator at the time ...."...

Problem upgrading DPM 2007 to DPM 2010
We've disconnected the HD-cabinet with the DPM volumes and started installing Windows 2008 x64 on two new harddisk. It all went fine until we re-connected the HD-cabinet. Windows 2008 added all left over drive letters starting from D: to Z: and connected these drive letters to the DPM volumes. When removing one of the drive letters, the system got unresponsive and after 15 minutes I had to reset the machine. Can this behavier, automatically adding drive letters to DPM volumes when connecting the HD-cabinet, be prevented? Thanks for your reply. OS upgrade assigns drive l...

DPM 2010RC Adding Disks to DPM Manager
I have an 11TB Raid on my DPM server. It is GPT and formated NTFS. I can add the drive to DPM via DPM Managment, however it tells me it has 0KB of free space. Am I missing something simple here? It shouldn't be formatted, no drive letter either. You should see it in diskmgmt.msc, but not in My Computer for example. Then add to DPM pool, DPM will format it when it creates volumes for your different workloads or protection groups. Hope that helps, I seem to remember that some time ago. ------------------------------------------------------- "GeekEGuy" wrote: ...

DPM hangs at consistency check after swapping protecting servers
Last week, we swapped one of the servers protected by DPM 2007SP2 on Windows Server2003. We kept the same server name, same Raid configuration and transfered all the data. Manually re-install DPM on the new server. Remove and recreate protection group on DPM server. Keeps getting "Inconsistent replica" and when rerun, the "consistency check" job stucks at 67mb. There is new volume created in the replica folder in DPM server. I manually moved all the files from old volume to the new volume folders. Rerun but still getting hung at "consistency check...

Upgrade Path from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010
Is there going to be an upgrade path from DPM 2007 to 2010? Yes. Look at the following DPM 2010 documentation: https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?SiteID=840&DownloadID=22070 "DPM supports upgrading from DPM 2007 SP1 on a Windows Server 2008 x64-bit operating system to DPM 2010. If DPM 2007 SP1 is installed on a Windows Server 2003 x64-bit operating system, you must upgrade to Windows Server 2008 before upgrading to DPM 2010". Also, here are my notes on DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 upgrade: http://santhoshsivarajan.blogspot.com/2009/09/dpm-2007-t...

IP Sec with DPM 2007 or DPM 2010
Hi, we are about to implement IP Sec for a group of servers which will be backed up by DPM. I wanted to find out if there are any restrictions regarding backing up IP Sec hosts vs non IP Sec hosts in the same domain. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks! There is no restrictions on IP sec policies on DPM as IP sec policies work at much lower layer than what DPM uses. But the policies should be in such a way that both DPM and Production servers should be able to communicate with each other, like network share browsing etc..(any windows applications between these two machines...

DPM 2007 sp1 Install
Hello, New install - on Windows Storage Server 2003. My Cybernetics miSAN V is direct attached and is recognized by the OS. DPM is not seeing the library. I cannot seem to find a troubleshooting document for this situation. TIA, SeanRinVA Make sure this library is support by DPM http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/dm/cc678583.aspx Also, install the latest drives and perform a "rescan" from the DPM console. -- Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications....

DPM 2010 and DPM 2007 SP1
I am looking for a backup solution for a new network consisting of the following: - Primary Server running Windows Server 2008, Exchange, Active Directory (some of this will be in a seperate Hyper-V virtualized Windows Server install). - Secondary Server similar to above but running SQL Server instead of Exchange (this will be virtualized). - An iSCSI SAN for storing online backups - An external LTO tape drive for producing offsite backups I am interested in running DPM but the documentation suggests the need for a dedicated server for DPM. Is this correct or could I used the ...

protecting dpm with dpm 01-07-10
If you are protecting a DPM server with a DPM server, when you create a protection group and drill down into your primary DPM server....what should you choose for protection? If I select the C drive checkbox and system state is that enough? I noticed that even though C is selected, not all things under the DPM\Volumes\DiffArea or DPM\volumes\replica are selected. Seems like the checkboxes stop at dpm\volumes\diffarea\servername\file system. Do i need to select these as well? what happens if you enable secondary protection for client nodes. If the primary server fails, yo...

protecting DPM with DPM 01-02-10
If I'm running two dpm servers and protect the primary DPM with the 2ndary dpm server. What should I need to select to restore the primary DPM server back to a working order and be able to restore from any point in time. Do i need to enable 2ndary protection for each node on the primary DPM server? Or is this only necessary if I want the nodes to be able to back up to the 2ndary server should the primary one fail? Have you seen these articles? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795680.aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808972.aspx -- ...

DPM & Encryption
I’m evaluating DPM and want to find out what sort of encryption and the strength DPM 2007 SP1 uses. DPM supports Self-Singed and Imported Certificates types encryption for media. Look at the following articles for more details: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808967.aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809042.aspx -- Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://www.sivarajan.com/publications.html "san" <san@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

DPM 2007 Administrator Console Crash
Hi all, I've a problem with DPM 2007 updated to the last cumulative update (KB976542), when I need to restore something using the Recovery section in DPM 2007 Administrator Console, the Console always crash. On DPMUI0Curr.errlog there are these exceptions: 1C24 2130 11/18 10:37:18.259 39 PageController.cs(1366) NON UI Thread Exception 1C24 19C4 11/18 10:37:18.259 39 PageController.cs(1366) NON UI Thread Exception 1C24 19C4 11/18 10:37:18.259 39 PageController.cs(1404) Event Manager Exception: Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Utils.DlsException 1C24 2130 11...

How do I install DPM 2010 Agent on another DPM 2010 Machine
I have two machines installed with DPM 2010. One is currently backing up my Exchange Server but I wish to use the second one for Offsite Replication/Disaster Recovery. Everytime I try to install the DPM Agent on the primary machine it tells me I am not allowed to install the Agent on a DPM Server. Can you tell me how to install this? You do not need to install agent separately on DPM machine. The agent functionality is made available as part of DPM installation itself. You can go ahead and start the protection. -- “Thanks, Nutesh Garg [MSFT] This posting is provided "...

Connection to the DPM service has been lost
I have 2 servers with a shared library. I just swapped out the tapes and upon performing a detailed or fast inventory, I get the Connection has been lost message. Events logs show the following error. The description for Event ID 943 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information ...

DPM 2010 will not install client
Hi, I am runnign a 2010 DPM Server where I am trying to connect to a 2008 server. I am getting this message when I try to install the client Following machines with incompatible operating system are excluded: Any suggestions? Remm Can you please try installing the agent manually, please find detailed steps at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb870937.aspx. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights <remm1001709@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:qgtlt51pqqpgjcm7vshdbkfldh8vnjk07l@4ax....