DPM Excesive tape usage.

Guys, we moved from a BE environment to DPM. I've noticed that our backups are now taking 2 tapes per day. Our current file server backup, sql backup and apps backup total less than 360gb, and our first and second storage for exchange 2007 have a total of 16gb.

That being said it gives me a total of 376gb of tape space needed, which we have. We have a Dell PowerVault 124t LTO-2. 200/400GB.

The configuration on the backups is as follows:

1 Protection Group

Backup Goals:

1st Backup Goal: Frecuency daily, with 1 week retention.
2nd Backup Goal: Frecuency weekly, with 4 week retention.
3rd Backup Goal: Frecuency monthly, with 12 month retention.

I noticed that exchange information, which is 16gb, is taking up 1 whole tape, and the second tape stores everything else, which doesn't seem logical sin we have enabled compression on the protection group, so we should be able to fit all this information in 1 tape.

Anyone have any ideas as to why DPM behaves this way? Is it's compression method not as effective as that of Backup Exec?

Styling WPF UI using Resource Dictionaries
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d7aa2411-c4bd-463d-89fe-3a58a615c3d7/styling-wpf-ui-using-reso.aspx
0
Javier

This can help you to understand how DPM works with tapes

If you enable Data co-loaction then DPM will write different data sets to the
same tape. If co-Location is disabled as per the default, DPM tends to write
one dataset per tape.

"Jelena" wrote:

> This can help you to understand how DPM works with tapes
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc964296.aspx

He said he had only one Protection Group, so I don't think this isn't a
co-location issue.

Daniel

"Radweld" wrote:

> If you enable Data co-loaction then DPM will write different data sets to the
> same tape. If co-Location is disabled as per the default, DPM tends to write
> one dataset per tape.
>
> "Jelena" wrote:
>
> > This can help you to understand how DPM works with tapes
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc964296.aspx

Increasing store.exe's RAM usage
I've been asked to improve the performance of an Exchange 2003 SP2 installation with a 30GB database. The server has 3GB of RAM, and a major disk I/O bottleneck: single RAID5 array with two partitions. Backing up and recreating the array(s) is planned for the future. In the short term, I'd like the database to utilitze more of the available RAM. I've followed the KB articles regarding the boot.ini switches, adding "/3GB /Userva=3030". Adding these settings did improve performance. Using Task Manager, I show 1.5G unused, with store.exe using just under 1GB. Is there ...

What about DPM 2010 Rc
Anyone use 2010 RC in a production environment? I've put it on a VM to look at it, and it would be nice to use it in production. My Number 1 Reason To Upgrade >>> Can Disable Daily Tape Backups for Saturday and Sunday What's your reason(s) for upgrading? How is it working out for you? Yes. 6 protection groups, 10 servers, 20 vms on a 6 node hyper-v cluster with csv. Runs great. A few quirks here and there but overall great. A far cry from our last backup solution. I basically set it and forget it. Check it when I get in to the office in the morning. ...

DCM for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010
Does anyone know if a DCM pack is available for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010? If you are looking for System center configuration management pack for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 they are available for DPM health monitoring. If you want DPM 2010 Management pack please mail me at praveend-at-microsoft-dot-com. The closest answer to DCM pack for DPM would be DPM's Best practice analyzer guidelines which can be downloadable from DPM sites. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John H" <JohnH@di...

DPM Console crash
Hi there, In our DPM setup we have a created a filter to disable the weekend back-up. It was working fine till a couple of weeks a go. Now when we want to change the date in the filter the DPM console crashes. Does anyone has a solution for this problem? Witch errlog should we troubleshoot Regards, MihaiM Hi MihaiM, You can look at the error logs for UI at: DPM Install location \ temp. Paste the error logs excerpt about exception here or send the error logs to MUKULS [AT] MICROSOFT [DOT] COM -- Thanks and Regards Mukul This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Backing up CCR Passive node with DPM (block level)?
Hello Please check the link from the technet forums I posted. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/fb88bed7-c024-4585-b58d-a8ef58176fc4 Suggested to check out the new threads instead. Basically there is an option in DPM to always choose the passive node in a CCR cluster. I've heard there is a problem though where a consistency check is required and it can transfer up to 90% of the data. Why is DPM doing a block level? Isnt it easier to just check the log files and the database files instead? I'm not an exper...

DPM to DPM untrusted
Hi There, I'm trying to find out if in DPM 2010 a DPM to DPM backup is supported across untrusted domains? From my reading it appears to not be supported but this is a pretty common/useful scenario for a number of companies. If this is supported can the one DPM server backup multiple DPM servers from multiple untrusted domains? Thanks One way to solve this is by establishing a two way trust between the DPM machines domains. But protecting two different servers without trust between the servers domains in not supported. We will consider this in future DPM releas...

BCWS Incorrect in Resource Usage View
Using Microsoft Project 2007, I am trying to look at the BCWS data for resources on one project. When I select the Resource Usage View, it properly displays the Work and Actual Cost data for each resource. Expanding the resource shows all of the tasks and their corrrect Work and Actual Cost data;however, the BCWS summary data for each resource is at best erratic! Some resources show 0 BCWS in the Resource summary, but when the resource is expanded the correct BCWS values are shown for each task. One Resource shows a summary BCWS of over 7000 even though the Work is 1500 hours. ...

unable to back up using only tape (without disk) with secondary DPM
I have setup a secondary DPM with only tape capabilities (no disk available). When I tried to create a new protection group on the secondary DPM, I unchecked the short term option (disk) and only select the long term option (tape), the "Next" button will get greyed out. Any ideas why is this happening? It happens to all except when I try to protect the Primary DPM or protect itself (secondary DPM). Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice C# .NET Windows Task Scheduler http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9f75423c-4849-4866-ad48-8fbd2ed2ed88/c-...

DPM Consistency Check
I have a 735 GB volume I'm using DPM 2010 on. If I throw it a do a consistency check......it been running for over 5 hours. I plan on protecting a larger file server with millions of files and over 4 TB of data. How long can I expect a consistency check to take? If a consistency check takes days...what happens to my backups? The time to complete a consistency check depends on the change rate for the data, the available network bandwidth, and the time that has passed since the previous successful synchronization job. Here is a good reference chart: http://technet.micro...

windows 2008 system state error on primary dpm server
I have two dpm servers, one primary and one secondary. Secondary backs up the primary. Primary server is disk only, Secondary is tape only. Both are windows 2008 x86 running the latest dpm fix pack. When the 2ndary backs up the primary DPM server system state it fails with an error. I also cannot perform a system state of the primary DPM server from the windows backup on the server either. Both have just been rebuilt, all partitions wiped, recreated. Below are the two errors....Any thoughts? Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Backup Date: ...

crm usage statistics
how could I generate crm usage statistics? for example by user, type of action, crm area, etc Create a report using the Report wizard and if you want to make it more complex then create a report using SQL reporting services and upload its rdl to CRM to be accessed from within CRM. Kamal http://kamalhitari.blogspot.com vsiat wrote: > how could I generate crm usage statistics? > for example by user, type of action, crm area, etc > I don't want to create just any report, but CRM usage ones --like which users/business units make heavier use, what are the crm's "mo...

DPM to DPM replication issues
Have a DPM 2007 sp1 server [with hotfix for HyperV] replicating to a 2nd (offsite) DPM 2007 sp1 server. I am trying to backup full VHD's (agent running on 2008 server that is running hypervisor). These vhd files are all larger than 50 gb and one is 600gb. we have a 5-10mb upload - and plenty of bandwidth at our colo. main issue is our file server backup, it is about 650 gb of total vhd files that i was able to get consistent once but after a failed backup it is inconsistent again. have tried a few times to run consistency checks but after a few 100 hours they get intur...

DPM 2010 End-User Recovery UI
Hey All, In my test environment I'm trying to configure the following: DPM 2010 RC server is in domain A My client workstation (windows 7) is in domain B The client backup works fine, I can recover on the DPM server, I can recover on the client through Previous versions without any problems However, in the Client DPM UI, when I go to Recover, I get the following error: "DPM found no recovery points which you are authorized to restore on the specified DPM server. You can restore only those recover points for which you were an administrator at the time ...."...

Problem upgrading DPM 2007 to DPM 2010
We've disconnected the HD-cabinet with the DPM volumes and started installing Windows 2008 x64 on two new harddisk. It all went fine until we re-connected the HD-cabinet. Windows 2008 added all left over drive letters starting from D: to Z: and connected these drive letters to the DPM volumes. When removing one of the drive letters, the system got unresponsive and after 15 minutes I had to reset the machine. Can this behavier, automatically adding drive letters to DPM volumes when connecting the HD-cabinet, be prevented? Thanks for your reply. OS upgrade assigns drive l...

DPM 2010RC Adding Disks to DPM Manager
I have an 11TB Raid on my DPM server. It is GPT and formated NTFS. I can add the drive to DPM via DPM Managment, however it tells me it has 0KB of free space. Am I missing something simple here? It shouldn't be formatted, no drive letter either. You should see it in diskmgmt.msc, but not in My Computer for example. Then add to DPM pool, DPM will format it when it creates volumes for your different workloads or protection groups. Hope that helps, I seem to remember that some time ago. ------------------------------------------------------- "GeekEGuy" wrote: ...

Track DL usage
We used to track DL usage by looking for event# 26 in the message tracking logs. Now in Exchange 2003 native mode, the event is no longer there. Does anybody know where this is logged or if it has an new identifier? thanks ...

customizing Z-tape
THere is a lot of info on the Z-tape that I do not need, such as the sales per hour. How do I customize the tape to delete the info I don't need? Also, are there ways to surpress printout of Tender Types I don't use but don't want to delete? TIA -- ______________________________________________________ Larry Leveen OlyBikes Bikes, Parts, Repairs & GREAT Customer Service! 124 State Avenue NE Olympia, WA 98501 P: 360-753-7525 F: 360-528-7526 info@olybikes.com www.olybikes.com Featuring free bike advocacy and safety materials! Ho OlyBikes, You can do so by customi...

DPM hangs at consistency check after swapping protecting servers
Last week, we swapped one of the servers protected by DPM 2007SP2 on Windows Server2003. We kept the same server name, same Raid configuration and transfered all the data. Manually re-install DPM on the new server. Remove and recreate protection group on DPM server. Keeps getting "Inconsistent replica" and when rerun, the "consistency check" job stucks at 67mb. There is new volume created in the replica folder in DPM server. I manually moved all the files from old volume to the new volume folders. Rerun but still getting hung at "consistency check...

Upgrade Path from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010
Is there going to be an upgrade path from DPM 2007 to 2010? Yes. Look at the following DPM 2010 documentation: https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?SiteID=840&DownloadID=22070 "DPM supports upgrading from DPM 2007 SP1 on a Windows Server 2008 x64-bit operating system to DPM 2010. If DPM 2007 SP1 is installed on a Windows Server 2003 x64-bit operating system, you must upgrade to Windows Server 2008 before upgrading to DPM 2010". Also, here are my notes on DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 upgrade: http://santhoshsivarajan.blogspot.com/2009/09/dpm-2007-t...

IP Sec with DPM 2007 or DPM 2010
Hi, we are about to implement IP Sec for a group of servers which will be backed up by DPM. I wanted to find out if there are any restrictions regarding backing up IP Sec hosts vs non IP Sec hosts in the same domain. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks! There is no restrictions on IP sec policies on DPM as IP sec policies work at much lower layer than what DPM uses. But the policies should be in such a way that both DPM and Production servers should be able to communicate with each other, like network share browsing etc..(any windows applications between these two machines...

DPM 2007 sp1 Install
Hello, New install - on Windows Storage Server 2003. My Cybernetics miSAN V is direct attached and is recognized by the OS. DPM is not seeing the library. I cannot seem to find a troubleshooting document for this situation. TIA, SeanRinVA Make sure this library is support by DPM http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/dm/cc678583.aspx Also, install the latest drives and perform a "rescan" from the DPM console. -- Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications....

DPM 2010 and DPM 2007 SP1
I am looking for a backup solution for a new network consisting of the following: - Primary Server running Windows Server 2008, Exchange, Active Directory (some of this will be in a seperate Hyper-V virtualized Windows Server install). - Secondary Server similar to above but running SQL Server instead of Exchange (this will be virtualized). - An iSCSI SAN for storing online backups - An external LTO tape drive for producing offsite backups I am interested in running DPM but the documentation suggests the need for a dedicated server for DPM. Is this correct or could I used the ...

protecting dpm with dpm 01-07-10
If you are protecting a DPM server with a DPM server, when you create a protection group and drill down into your primary DPM server....what should you choose for protection? If I select the C drive checkbox and system state is that enough? I noticed that even though C is selected, not all things under the DPM\Volumes\DiffArea or DPM\volumes\replica are selected. Seems like the checkboxes stop at dpm\volumes\diffarea\servername\file system. Do i need to select these as well? what happens if you enable secondary protection for client nodes. If the primary server fails, yo...

protecting DPM with DPM 01-02-10
If I'm running two dpm servers and protect the primary DPM with the 2ndary dpm server. What should I need to select to restore the primary DPM server back to a working order and be able to restore from any point in time. Do i need to enable 2ndary protection for each node on the primary DPM server? Or is this only necessary if I want the nodes to be able to back up to the 2ndary server should the primary one fail? Have you seen these articles? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795680.aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808972.aspx -- ...

DPM & Encryption
I’m evaluating DPM and want to find out what sort of encryption and the strength DPM 2007 SP1 uses. DPM supports Self-Singed and Imported Certificates types encryption for media. Look at the following articles for more details: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808967.aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809042.aspx -- Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://www.sivarajan.com/publications.html "san" <san@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...