DPM 2010 Tape Archive

Hello !

The Data Protection Manager team is looking for DPM 2010 deployments (Beta,
CTP etc) which have tape backups enabled. This is in order to get feedback
and have an understanding of issues.

Please send an email to dpmarch AT microsoft DOT com and we will connect to
you.

Thank you for your co-operation,
--
Pranay Prabhakar  [MSFT]

Pranay

Setting Right margin in Onenote 2010
Onenote 2010 is great but I haven't figured out how to set the right margin in a note. Here is a screenshot shpwing the problem. I would like to set the margin closer to the right side of the page. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1174390/Screenshot.jpg When I click on a text box, i can't seem to widen it. When I go to View|paper Size, I want to use Auto paper size so the note keeps growing in length. When I select this option, all the other boxes are grayed out. Any help appreciated. Bob On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:37:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob <ralvarez@spambob.ne...

List of Categories in Outlook 2010
Is there any way of getting a printable list of categories assigned in Microsoft Outlook 2010? e.g. to allow the list to be fine-tuned and or for colleagues to also have the same categories available TIA! I would do a print screen, personally. The following macro in Outlook should work to produce a list of categories in a Word document. Set a reference to the Microsoft Word object library in the vba editor (Tools > References). Although aimed at Word the principles shown at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm apply to Outlook also should you not know what to do with macro lis...

What about DPM 2010 Rc
Anyone use 2010 RC in a production environment? I've put it on a VM to look at it, and it would be nice to use it in production. My Number 1 Reason To Upgrade >>> Can Disable Daily Tape Backups for Saturday and Sunday What's your reason(s) for upgrading? How is it working out for you? Yes. 6 protection groups, 10 servers, 20 vms on a 6 node hyper-v cluster with csv. Runs great. A few quirks here and there but overall great. A far cry from our last backup solution. I basically set it and forget it. Check it when I get in to the office in the morning. ...

Are ribbons created in Word 2010 backward compatible to Word 2007
I understand that creating tabs/ribbons in Word 2010 is much easier than in word 2007. Are they backward-compatible from Word 2010 to Word 2007? ...

DCM for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010
Does anyone know if a DCM pack is available for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010? If you are looking for System center configuration management pack for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 they are available for DPM health monitoring. If you want DPM 2010 Management pack please mail me at praveend-at-microsoft-dot-com. The closest answer to DCM pack for DPM would be DPM's Best practice analyzer guidelines which can be downloadable from DPM sites. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John H" <JohnH@di...

DPM Console crash
Hi there, In our DPM setup we have a created a filter to disable the weekend back-up. It was working fine till a couple of weeks a go. Now when we want to change the date in the filter the DPM console crashes. Does anyone has a solution for this problem? Witch errlog should we troubleshoot Regards, MihaiM Hi MihaiM, You can look at the error logs for UI at: DPM Install location \ temp. Paste the error logs excerpt about exception here or send the error logs to MUKULS [AT] MICROSOFT [DOT] COM -- Thanks and Regards Mukul This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Outlook 2010 Beta access to internet
I just downloaded and installed Office 2010 Beta. Everything appears to work normally except that Outlook can't access the internet unless I turn off my firewall. I am using Windows live One Care. Can anyone explain and help? -- Thanks for your help Recreate the exception for Outlook to pass through your firewall. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "LesHurley&q...

Backing up CCR Passive node with DPM (block level)?
Hello Please check the link from the technet forums I posted. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/fb88bed7-c024-4585-b58d-a8ef58176fc4 Suggested to check out the new threads instead. Basically there is an option in DPM to always choose the passive node in a CCR cluster. I've heard there is a problem though where a consistency check is required and it can transfer up to 90% of the data. Why is DPM doing a block level? Isnt it easier to just check the log files and the database files instead? I'm not an exper...

Do archiving products really reduce db size?
Hello, We've been looking at some archiving products like Zantaz EAS and Symantec KVM. They basically replace messages in a user's mailbox with a small stub, and transfer the real mail item to a database outside Exchange. My question is do they really reduce Exchange dbase size in the long-term? What I'm thinking is that the message is originally in the Exchange dbase, so does it shrink after the message is replaced with a stub? Or do you have to run a compression utility from GFI etc? Ok, I guess the freed-up space will be reused by messages which arrive afterwards, but it'...

DPM to DPM untrusted
Hi There, I'm trying to find out if in DPM 2010 a DPM to DPM backup is supported across untrusted domains? From my reading it appears to not be supported but this is a pretty common/useful scenario for a number of companies. If this is supported can the one DPM server backup multiple DPM servers from multiple untrusted domains? Thanks One way to solve this is by establishing a two way trust between the DPM machines domains. But protecting two different servers without trust between the servers domains in not supported. We will consider this in future DPM releas...

Archiving / monitoring / complaince
Hello everyone, I am looking for a possible IN HOUSE solutions for Archiving and Monitoring E-Mails for NASD and SEC compliance issues. I understand there are several "groups" out there that do outsourced E-Mail archiving, but would like to have the ability to consider in house. Need it to achieve and be able to immediately retrieve - Emails on a moment's notice, or a SEC's moments notice ;) Thanks On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 08:05:21 -0800, "L. DeFoor" <ldefoor@wirejumper.com> wrote: >Hello everyone, > >I am looking for a possible IN HOUSE solutions ...

unable to back up using only tape (without disk) with secondary DPM
I have setup a secondary DPM with only tape capabilities (no disk available). When I tried to create a new protection group on the secondary DPM, I unchecked the short term option (disk) and only select the long term option (tape), the "Next" button will get greyed out. Any ideas why is this happening? It happens to all except when I try to protect the Primary DPM or protect itself (secondary DPM). Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice C# .NET Windows Task Scheduler http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9f75423c-4849-4866-ad48-8fbd2ed2ed88/c-...

New Server for Dynamics 2010
We currently have Microsoft Dynamics 9.0 runnings on an SBS 2003 server and SQL 2000. We are going to buy a new server, which will be a member server to our SBS 2003 server. The new server will be running Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit. We want an 64-bit version of Microsot SQL and the recommended version is SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit. Will Dynamics 2010 run on Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Workgroup 64-bit?? We only have 4 users and probably do less that 250 transaction per day. -- Gary Any information concerning specific configurations can be found on the Mic...

DPM Consistency Check
I have a 735 GB volume I'm using DPM 2010 on. If I throw it a do a consistency check......it been running for over 5 hours. I plan on protecting a larger file server with millions of files and over 4 TB of data. How long can I expect a consistency check to take? If a consistency check takes days...what happens to my backups? The time to complete a consistency check depends on the change rate for the data, the available network bandwidth, and the time that has passed since the previous successful synchronization job. Here is a good reference chart: http://technet.micro...

Outlook 2010 and MAPISVC.INF
Hi, I installed Outlook2010 Beta on a Win Vista Enterprise 32-bit system. Well, I am looking for the MAPISVC.INF file, but I can not find it. Where it is? Thanks Christian Why do you need it? I have it at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook here. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE...

Archiving not working properly.
New to this Outlook stuff so be gentle... Partner has Outlook 2000 a/c which is getting slow and beginning to lock up, presumably through a lack of attention to archiving. I understood that the main pst could be up to 2gig in this version but am not sure if, when the user also has the archive folders showing in the folder list, the size of the archive pst has to be included in an overall 2gig 'working margin'. I ask this, because when I tried to 'shave the inbox' a year at a time say, I found that the archive.pst only filled up to 738695, and then seemed to stick even ...

Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158) fails with 2010
I am running Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2010 on my laptop. For some reason my machine keeps trying and failing to install Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158). The failure code reads: "WindowsUpdate_80070643" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" Due to this problem, my work security policy will force me off the network while working remotely. How can I fix this problem? Especially since I am running 2010 and not 2007, which is what the KB was written for. See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g., http://support.microsoft.c...

Excel 2010 fails to save or open from network drive
In Excel 2010 I receive the following error message whenever I try to open or save a file to a network drive: " Microsoft Excel cannot access the file "C:\Temp\Content.MSO\8A68000 *The file name or path does not exist *The file is being used by another program *The Workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook " I have full permissions to read/write/delete to the network drive as well as c:\temp\Content.mso This happens both on a windows XP sp3 and Windows 7 system. I do not have the save/open problem in Microsoft Word 2010...

windows 2008 system state error on primary dpm server
I have two dpm servers, one primary and one secondary. Secondary backs up the primary. Primary server is disk only, Secondary is tape only. Both are windows 2008 x86 running the latest dpm fix pack. When the 2ndary backs up the primary DPM server system state it fails with an error. I also cannot perform a system state of the primary DPM server from the windows backup on the server either. Both have just been rebuilt, all partitions wiped, recreated. Below are the two errors....Any thoughts? Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Backup Date: ...

Errors in Archiving
Hi, We previously created an archive of a checking account with an older version of Money and specified the archive to contain from 7-1-95 to 12-31-99. We never checked this before but now we find it continues all the way to November 2003. We just created an archive of our checking account, with Money 2004, and specified it to contain from 12-31-99 to 1-1-05. This time it included all entries up to the present date of 2-4-06. First of all, why has this happened? Is there a way to correct these archives because now they are overlapping. Thaks for any suggestions. jslow -- Dell 4700, Wi...

DPM to DPM replication issues
Have a DPM 2007 sp1 server [with hotfix for HyperV] replicating to a 2nd (offsite) DPM 2007 sp1 server. I am trying to backup full VHD's (agent running on 2008 server that is running hypervisor). These vhd files are all larger than 50 gb and one is 600gb. we have a 5-10mb upload - and plenty of bandwidth at our colo. main issue is our file server backup, it is about 650 gb of total vhd files that i was able to get consistent once but after a failed backup it is inconsistent again. have tried a few times to run consistency checks but after a few 100 hours they get intur...

DPM 2010 End-User Recovery UI
Hey All, In my test environment I'm trying to configure the following: DPM 2010 RC server is in domain A My client workstation (windows 7) is in domain B The client backup works fine, I can recover on the DPM server, I can recover on the client through Previous versions without any problems However, in the Client DPM UI, when I go to Recover, I get the following error: "DPM found no recovery points which you are authorized to restore on the specified DPM server. You can restore only those recover points for which you were an administrator at the time ...."...

DBTYP.NET Studio 2010
DBTYP.NET Studio 2010 - Database Comparison Suite Released Vienna, Austria - March 8, 2010 Today, BYPsoft announced the availability of DBTYP.NET Studio 2010, the newest version of the cross-database comparison tool that compares SQL Server, MySQL and Oracle databases (schema and data). DBTYP.NET Studio 2010 is available for download from http://www.bypsoft.com. With its rich support for schema and data cross-database comparison, DBTYP.NET Studio takes the mystery out of databases, making their comparison practical and easy for programmers and database administrators everywh...

Upgrading to 2010.
I have just began to look into this. We have a license for Exchange Server 2010 Standard Edition. We currently have exchange 2007. Should I upgrade? On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:07:54 -0600, "Brian" <brokenframe@hotmail.com> wrote: >I have just began to look into this. We have a license for Exchange Server >2010 Standard Edition. We currently have exchange 2007. Should I upgrade? Look at the features in 2010. Do you need to move to 2010? What business case would be satisfied by moving to 2010? Well, Our exchange server is in poor shape and needs to be rebui...

Problem upgrading DPM 2007 to DPM 2010
We've disconnected the HD-cabinet with the DPM volumes and started installing Windows 2008 x64 on two new harddisk. It all went fine until we re-connected the HD-cabinet. Windows 2008 added all left over drive letters starting from D: to Z: and connected these drive letters to the DPM volumes. When removing one of the drive letters, the system got unresponsive and after 15 minutes I had to reset the machine. Can this behavier, automatically adding drive letters to DPM volumes when connecting the HD-cabinet, be prevented? Thanks for your reply. OS upgrade assigns drive l...