DPM 2010 RC co-locate SQL Server

I'm creating a protection group for SQL Server 2005 SP3 (CU8) with DPM 2010
RC.  I have about 15-20 small databases and about 10-15 larger databases.
When I create the protection group the option to co-locate is checked (and
not gray), but when the protection group is created I end up with many 10gb
disk partitions.  Isn't co-location supposed to prevent that?

I read that the default for co-location is 30 databases (how do I increase
that?) so I tried hand picking the larger databases from the list rather than
the auto option and only using those in my protection group.  Same result.
Lots of small disk partitions.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi,
by default, DPM will create 10Gb replica volumes where a maximum of 30
database can be co-located. in your case, it would depend on size of the DBs
and how they are co-located.
one easy way to figure out, is to goto protection ui and click on a database
and say "modify disk allocation". you will get a link in the disk allocation
page saying colocated. you can click on it to figure out which are the DBs
co-located together and their data size.

--
Thanks,
C.Prashanth [MSFT]

"StevenB" <StevenB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm creating a protection group for SQL Server 2005 SP3 (CU8) with DPM
> 2010
> RC.  I have about 15-20 small databases and about 10-15 larger databases.
> When I create the protection group the option to co-locate is checked (and
> not gray), but when the protection group is created I end up with many
> 10gb
> disk partitions.  Isn't co-location supposed to prevent that?
>
> I read that the default for co-location is 30 databases (how do I increase
> that?) so I tried hand picking the larger databases from the list rather
> than
> the auto option and only using those in my protection group.  Same result.
> Lots of small disk partitions.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Yep, that's exactly what it's doing.  Thanks for explaining.

Is there a way to change the default partition size from 10GB to something
larger?  I'm still ending up with about 20 partitions of 10GB.  I'd rather
have 5 (or 1) partition(s) with more databases.

Is the "30 per" a hard limit?

"C.Prashanth [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
> by default, DPM will create 10Gb replica volumes where a maximum of 30
> database can be co-located. in your case, it would depend on size of the DBs
> and how they are co-located.
> one easy way to figure out, is to goto protection ui and click on a database
> and say "modify disk allocation". you will get a link in the disk allocation
> page saying colocated. you can click on it to figure out which are the DBs
> co-located together and their data size.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> C.Prashanth [MSFT]
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "StevenB" <StevenB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm creating a protection group for SQL Server 2005 SP3 (CU8) with DPM
> > 2010
> > RC.  I have about 15-20 small databases and about 10-15 larger databases.
> > When I create the protection group the option to co-locate is checked (and
> > not gray), but when the protection group is created I end up with many
> > 10gb
> > disk partitions.  Isn't co-location supposed to prevent that?
> >
> > I read that the default for co-location is 30 databases (how do I increase
> > that?) so I tried hand picking the larger databases from the list rather
> > than
> > the auto option and only using those in my protection group.  Same result.
> > Lots of small disk partitions.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?

Bug with controls location and scrollbars in a Windows Form
Hi, I've noticed a bug with WinForm and scrollbars, and I would like to know if there is a workaround ... Bug description : ------------------------ 1) create a win form, and add 3 buttons : * FirstButton : upper left corner of the winform * SecondButton : location = (0 ; 600) * ThirdButton : location = (100, 600) 2) Set : ThirdButton.Visible = false 3) Set the Form size to 100 x 100 ... and set : AutoScroll = true 4) Add the following event handler to the Click event of FirstButton and SecondButton ... private vo...

The Server could not be found.
I have being trying to access news groups in Windows Mail. After subscribing to groups I get the following message when trying to connect. The Server could not be found. Configuration Account: msnews.microsoft.comrich Server: msnews.microsoft.comrich Protocol: NNTP Port:119 Secure(SSL):0 Code:800ccc0d Any help will be grately appreciated. Regards Sychman. -- Always dance as though nobody is watching! The server is actually named msnews.microsoft.com. Why do you have 'rich' at the end? Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Sychman" wrote...

Setting Right margin in Onenote 2010
Onenote 2010 is great but I haven't figured out how to set the right margin in a note. Here is a screenshot shpwing the problem. I would like to set the margin closer to the right side of the page. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1174390/Screenshot.jpg When I click on a text box, i can't seem to widen it. When I go to View|paper Size, I want to use Auto paper size so the note keeps growing in length. When I select this option, all the other boxes are grayed out. Any help appreciated. Bob On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:37:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob <ralvarez@spambob.ne...

List of Categories in Outlook 2010
Is there any way of getting a printable list of categories assigned in Microsoft Outlook 2010? e.g. to allow the list to be fine-tuned and or for colleagues to also have the same categories available TIA! I would do a print screen, personally. The following macro in Outlook should work to produce a list of categories in a Word document. Set a reference to the Microsoft Word object library in the vba editor (Tools > References). Although aimed at Word the principles shown at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm apply to Outlook also should you not know what to do with macro lis...

Accessing SQL Server Table-Valued Function from Access front-end
Hi Is subject possible? From SQL Server, I can call the function as Select * From dbo.udf_MyFunction(Parameter1, Parameter2, ...) From Access front-end, I want to call this function, and use the result table as data source for report. My quess is, that I have to use a pass-through query for this. Has someone any experience with this? Thanks in advance! Arvi Laanemets Yes, you need to use a pass-through query using a Select query like the one you have shown us. -- Sylvain Lafontaine, ing. MVP - Windows Live Platform Blog/web site: http://coding-paparazzi.sylvai...

Can office 2000 co-exist with office 2007 on same XP pc
Can office 2000 co-exist with office 2007 on same XP pc Mokie Yes it can with the exception of Outlook. But why would you want to install Office 2000. Support for it has expired and there is no updates and the SR1a service pack is not available anymore either -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Mokie" <Mokie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF84C6F9-DAC6-4762-98E7-5A41DDC4CA2A@microsoft.com... > Can office 2000 co-exist with office 2007 on ...

Are ribbons created in Word 2010 backward compatible to Word 2007
I understand that creating tabs/ribbons in Word 2010 is much easier than in word 2007. Are they backward-compatible from Word 2010 to Word 2007? ...

What about DPM 2010 Rc
Anyone use 2010 RC in a production environment? I've put it on a VM to look at it, and it would be nice to use it in production. My Number 1 Reason To Upgrade >>> Can Disable Daily Tape Backups for Saturday and Sunday What's your reason(s) for upgrading? How is it working out for you? Yes. 6 protection groups, 10 servers, 20 vms on a 6 node hyper-v cluster with csv. Runs great. A few quirks here and there but overall great. A far cry from our last backup solution. I basically set it and forget it. Check it when I get in to the office in the morning. ...

Analysis Cubes SQL 2005 server
Hi there I have installed Analysis Cubes SQL 2005 firstly without SP2 and then with SP2. The install is successful and I created a job to run daily at 3am. I tested the job by executing it manually and it run without any problems. It runs for 5 companies including TWO. When I analyse the data in the GPDynamcisWarehouse tables, all the data for all the companies exist in the GLAccountMaster, but in the sales tables it shows only the TWO data. Why does this happen Regards Robin ...

calling sql loader from vba
I have a access application front-end with an oracle back end (odbc) On a daily basis we have to import a large text file into one of the Oracle tables. We do this by using the sql loader utility. I have created a controlfile for this I have two requests for help. First: Please could somebody help me with some vba code to launch the sql loader exe (which is on the local drive) with this ctl file as its parameter from a button in a form in the access application. Second: when the sql loader program will launch, a dos box is shown by it showing its load progress. It will close itself ...

DCM for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010
Does anyone know if a DCM pack is available for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010? If you are looking for System center configuration management pack for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 they are available for DPM health monitoring. If you want DPM 2010 Management pack please mail me at praveend-at-microsoft-dot-com. The closest answer to DCM pack for DPM would be DPM's Best practice analyzer guidelines which can be downloadable from DPM sites. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John H" <JohnH@di...

DPM Console crash
Hi there, In our DPM setup we have a created a filter to disable the weekend back-up. It was working fine till a couple of weeks a go. Now when we want to change the date in the filter the DPM console crashes. Does anyone has a solution for this problem? Witch errlog should we troubleshoot Regards, MihaiM Hi MihaiM, You can look at the error logs for UI at: DPM Install location \ temp. Paste the error logs excerpt about exception here or send the error logs to MUKULS [AT] MICROSOFT [DOT] COM -- Thanks and Regards Mukul This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Terminal Server #2
Hi, I have recently installled GP10.0 at a client we have noticed some worrying performance issues when attempting to log into GP with a user that is not an admnistrator. The performace issue starts when clicking the GP icon. It can take as long as three minutes to get to the user login screen. (Enough time to make a cup a coffee). Once you are in GP the performance is OK with some exceptions. This certainly feels like a networking/security/actve directory issue, dont even know how to begin trouble shooting. We cant simply add teh user into the domain or local adminstrator group. An...

Help on simple SQL statement
Hello, I am having a problem with my SQL statements and I need a pro on this one. I have two tables 1. SalesHeader 2. SalesDetail. I join these two table together (code below) Here is my problem when I have the same invoice number with multiple LineNo I want to display only the AmountShipped field not the AmountOrder field in this example InvNo would be 55555 and the amount would be 69.00. Now if the InvNo has only 1 LineNo like InvNo 77777 I want to display 85.00. How do I do this. It seems I have to do some sort of count of LineNo group by InvNo. I just don'...

Outlook 2010 Beta access to internet
I just downloaded and installed Office 2010 Beta. Everything appears to work normally except that Outlook can't access the internet unless I turn off my firewall. I am using Windows live One Care. Can anyone explain and help? -- Thanks for your help Recreate the exception for Outlook to pass through your firewall. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "LesHurley&q...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?co=F6rdinaten?=
Frederik Vincken 20-03-1980, geboren te Brussel Wijmaalsesteenweg 62, 3150 Haacht 016-604830 / 0486-865466 ...

Planning of server
Hi, We currently have hosted our email on exchnage server on a third party service provider (remote exchange host) . What would be the best way for hosting crm and exchange to be able to utilize active directory for logins and exchange server with crm Thanks Atul KaKade ...

Problem with my .rc file??
Hi, I use a new picture control ID : IDC_DRAWINGWINDOW Type : Rectangle Color : White In the ressource view. When a run the program, the Rectangle is Black! How i can change that to white? In the ressource view, the Rectangle is white. In the .rc i have CONTROL "",IDC_DRAWINGWINDOW,"Static",SS_WHITERECT,139,28,162,190 The other reference i have in my program of this IDC is : in the *dlg.cpp void CTestDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX) { CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX); //{{AFX_DATA_MAP(CTestDlg) ----------> DDX_Control(pDX, IDC_DRAWINGWINDOW, m_DrawingWind...

<<< TechNet Chat (Today) - Exchange Server
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/chats/default.mspx#05_1207_TN_exchange Exchange Server - Migration to Exchange Server 2000/2003 As we approach to the end of the extended support lifecycle for Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 on Dec 31, 2005, it's time to migrate to Exchange Server 2000/2003! Please join us to discuss the best practices on the migration process and share the tips you have. Our topics include but not limited to Active Directory Connector (ADC), Exchange Migration Wizard, as well as administration in mixed mode. Microsoft Support Lifecycle for Exchange Server 5.5: ht...

multiple OWA web sites on single server?
Hello, I would like to know if it's possible to have multiple OWA web sites on a single server. Reason I need to know is that we would like to use RSA's securid for OWA but not everyone that uses OWA will be using securid. So I would like to have 2 OWA websites, one using securid and the other not. We are using Exchange 2003 server. Thanks! FC You can have 2 web sites on the same server by 1) using the same ip address but different ports 2) using different ip address and default ports (http 80 or https 443) or 3) same ip address and ports, but using different fqdns as host...

Backing up CCR Passive node with DPM (block level)?
Hello Please check the link from the technet forums I posted. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/fb88bed7-c024-4585-b58d-a8ef58176fc4 Suggested to check out the new threads instead. Basically there is an option in DPM to always choose the passive node in a CCR cluster. I've heard there is a problem though where a consistency check is required and it can transfer up to 90% of the data. Why is DPM doing a block level? Isnt it easier to just check the log files and the database files instead? I'm not an exper...

Outlook Send/Receive problems when separating imap.pst from default location
We are having a problem when using Outlook 2002 upgraded from 2000. Using IMAP as the only mail account the Send/Receive button no longer works (for some users - not all users). I know all about the default local folder (Outlook Today) Inbox issues having to be the default but this one is that it won't automatically check for message and the Send/Receive button doesn't work when splitting out the email.pst file (again this only affects some users). This happens when we separate out the email.pst file from the default Documents and Settings folder. We didn't want all the cached ...

How do I locate the send on the menu bar?
I am using Microsoft 2000, and the send, to expedite my email message does not show on the menu bar. Any suggestions on how I may locate it. "Newlearner" <Newlearner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A80EFCD9-3BCA-4BD2-AD47-A1699A9C2164@microsoft.com... >I am using Microsoft 2000, and the send, to expedite my email message does > not show on the menu bar. Any suggestions on how I may locate it. It's already in the File menu. For the Database toolbar: With any database window open, right-click on the toolbar, and choose Customize. Select File in th...

pulling SQL sentence from a query to a string value
Hi all, i need to pull by coding the SQL sentences of the queries in order to make decision or to make changes is it posible by coding to extract this data? On 23 May 2007 09:27:06 -0700, thread <yaniv.dg@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >i need to pull by coding the SQL sentences of the queries in order to >make decision or to make changes >is it posible by coding to extract this data? Dim strSQL As String strSQL = CurrentDb.Querydefs("Queryname").SQL John W. Vinson [MVP] sp_helptext 'sprocname' will give you the DDL for a stored procedu...

DPM to DPM untrusted
Hi There, I'm trying to find out if in DPM 2010 a DPM to DPM backup is supported across untrusted domains? From my reading it appears to not be supported but this is a pretty common/useful scenario for a number of companies. If this is supported can the one DPM server backup multiple DPM servers from multiple untrusted domains? Thanks One way to solve this is by establishing a two way trust between the DPM machines domains. But protecting two different servers without trust between the servers domains in not supported. We will consider this in future DPM releas...