DPM 2010 Backup of 2008 R2 HyperV CSV

Hello,

I am attempting to backup several hosts on my HyperV Cluster.  I am running
5 2008 R2 machines that are using a CSV located on an Equallogic (Dell) PS100.

When I perform the first backup everything seems ok, however as soon as it
attempts a consistency check I run into problems.  The error I see in the
logs on the machine running the VM is "Error 0x80070490 opening SNMP
connection to \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 (0-8a0906-ee61d2801-101008a65674ae1c)."

I have talked to Equallogic, and initially it sounded like perhaps using
their Hardware wasn't supported, but it looks like it is on the list of
supported providers on the DPM Blog.

I am running the latest Host Integration Tools from Equallogic, but I may
need to upgrade my SAN firmware.  I can't see anything in the release notes
that reference any changes though, so I'm not positive that is the issue.

Please let me know if I can help provide any more information.

Thank you,

Eric

First of all I am assuming that you are using the version (3.3.1 or later)
of the VSS provider that is mentioned in the blog. This indicates that
Equallogic Remote configuration wizard is not setup correctly on the host
for access to the SAN for VSS operations. Please check the following on the
host.
1. Launch Remote setup Wizard from Programs menu->Equallogic->Remote setup
wizard.
2. In remote setup wizard select "Configure this computer to access a PS
series SAN"
3. If the group is not added then add the group. If the group is added
select the group and click on "Modify"
4. Verify that "Group Name", Group IP address, Chap Credentials and the
password is entered correctly. Note that the chap credentials for VSS/VDS
access could be different from iSCSI access.
5. restart the equalogic vss provider (net stop eqlvss & net start eqlvss)

--
Thanks
Shyama Hembram

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to backup several hosts on my HyperV Cluster.  I am
> running
> 5 2008 R2 machines that are using a CSV located on an Equallogic (Dell)
> PS100.
>
> When I perform the first backup everything seems ok, however as soon as it
> attempts a consistency check I run into problems.  The error I see in the
> logs on the machine running the VM is "Error 0x80070490 opening SNMP
> connection to \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 (0-8a0906-ee61d2801-101008a65674ae1c)."
>
> I have talked to Equallogic, and initially it sounded like perhaps using
> their Hardware wasn't supported, but it looks like it is on the list of
> supported providers on the DPM Blog.
>
> I am running the latest Host Integration Tools from Equallogic, but I may
> need to upgrade my SAN firmware.  I can't see anything in the release
> notes
> that reference any changes though, so I'm not positive that is the issue.
>
> Please let me know if I can help provide any more information.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Eric

0
Shyama
3/17/2010 9:03:55 PM
Hello,

I was using HIT 3.3.1 as that is the current released version.  When I
called Dell for support they told me that CSV isn't fully supported in the
HIT yet and that I should uninstall it for now to not use the hardware
provided shadow copy but just use the MS one.  So for now I have uninstalled
HIT on one of my servers.

I then moved one VM over to that server and it seems to be at least willing
to start the Synchronization job with Consistency check.  However I have now
been running a consistency check for over 23 hours and it has not finished.
It also says it has only transferred 12.25 MB.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Thank you,

Eric
Are you using Broadcom NICs? Can you disable TCP Chimney Offloading and then
try running the backup. The command to disable it is:

netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled

Thanks,
--Angad.

--
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights

> Hello,
>
> I was using HIT 3.3.1 as that is the current released version.  When I
> called Dell for support they told me that CSV isn't fully supported in the
> HIT yet and that I should uninstall it for now to not use the hardware
> provided shadow copy but just use the MS one.  So for now I have
> uninstalled
> HIT on one of my servers.
>
> I then moved one VM over to that server and it seems to be at least
> willing
> to start the Synchronization job with Consistency check.  However I have
> now
> been running a consistency check for over 23 hours and it has not
> finished.
> It also says it has only transferred 12.25 MB.
>
> Any ideas what I should try next?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Eric

0
Angad

Agent Install on EBS 2008 Failing
I am running DPM 2007 on Windows Storage Server 2003 (Dell DP600 appliance) and trying to protect EBS 2008 which is virtualized. However, I followed the technet article here to setup things: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512491(WS.10).aspx But I am unable to successfully install the agent on the EBS 2008 servers and get them to talk to DPM. I followed the last part of - To install a DPM protection agent. The agents appear to be installed on the Management, Security and Messaging servers, but cannot seem to attach properly to the DPM server. They show in Err...

Setting Right margin in Onenote 2010
Onenote 2010 is great but I haven't figured out how to set the right margin in a note. Here is a screenshot shpwing the problem. I would like to set the margin closer to the right side of the page. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1174390/Screenshot.jpg When I click on a text box, i can't seem to widen it. When I go to View|paper Size, I want to use Auto paper size so the note keeps growing in length. When I select this option, all the other boxes are grayed out. Any help appreciated. Bob On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:37:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob <ralvarez@spambob.ne...

full system backup
I have a SBS server that I am using backup exec to backup the entire system every day. What part(s) of the exchange store or logs should I be excluding from the data backup? the below note is in the backup exec help section: Note As a general practice, it is recommended that you exclude transaction log directories from the file system backup. As you know the mail stores are in the same directory as the transaction logs so does this mean I should really exclude the entire directory, or just the transaction logs? On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:31:13 -0600, "SBS user" &l...

List of Categories in Outlook 2010
Is there any way of getting a printable list of categories assigned in Microsoft Outlook 2010? e.g. to allow the list to be fine-tuned and or for colleagues to also have the same categories available TIA! I would do a print screen, personally. The following macro in Outlook should work to produce a list of categories in a Word document. Set a reference to the Microsoft Word object library in the vba editor (Tools > References). Although aimed at Word the principles shown at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm apply to Outlook also should you not know what to do with macro lis...

Are ribbons created in Word 2010 backward compatible to Word 2007
I understand that creating tabs/ribbons in Word 2010 is much easier than in word 2007. Are they backward-compatible from Word 2010 to Word 2007? ...

What about DPM 2010 Rc
Anyone use 2010 RC in a production environment? I've put it on a VM to look at it, and it would be nice to use it in production. My Number 1 Reason To Upgrade >>> Can Disable Daily Tape Backups for Saturday and Sunday What's your reason(s) for upgrading? How is it working out for you? Yes. 6 protection groups, 10 servers, 20 vms on a 6 node hyper-v cluster with csv. Runs great. A few quirks here and there but overall great. A far cry from our last backup solution. I basically set it and forget it. Check it when I get in to the office in the morning. ...

argh email backup recovery
ok so I have standard NTbackups of my sbs 2003 installation. I have email for my 3 users stored in the backups no problem and have been able to extract the emails (I had to do a fresh install of everything except the emails for unrelated reasons). So in my \sbs\first storage group\mailbox store are the 3 new email boxes and people are able to access them fine. I also have the 3 old mailbox stores that I have restored to the server as well. I've tried to merge old emails via exmerge or recovery storage etc but it keeps complaining that the active directory doesn't match. Can anyon...

DCM for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010
Does anyone know if a DCM pack is available for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010? If you are looking for System center configuration management pack for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 they are available for DPM health monitoring. If you want DPM 2010 Management pack please mail me at praveend-at-microsoft-dot-com. The closest answer to DCM pack for DPM would be DPM's Best practice analyzer guidelines which can be downloadable from DPM sites. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John H" <JohnH@di...

Word 2008: Changing the width of soom toolbar items
When you modified the toolbar in earlier versions of Word, you could point carefully to the right edge of some objects, such as the style name and font name, and widen them by dragging. I can't seem to to do that in Word 2008. Am I merely not pointing carefully, or, is this no longer a feature? Hi Tim; That can still be done but only while you have the Customize dialog window open. The item you want to adjust must also be on a bar that isn't docked. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 1/9/10 11:38 AM, in article 0001HW.C76E1B3A0000D9ABB030D9BF@news.mi...

DPM Console crash
Hi there, In our DPM setup we have a created a filter to disable the weekend back-up. It was working fine till a couple of weeks a go. Now when we want to change the date in the filter the DPM console crashes. Does anyone has a solution for this problem? Witch errlog should we troubleshoot Regards, MihaiM Hi MihaiM, You can look at the error logs for UI at: DPM Install location \ temp. Paste the error logs excerpt about exception here or send the error logs to MUKULS [AT] MICROSOFT [DOT] COM -- Thanks and Regards Mukul This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Public Folder Online Backup
A healthcheck performed on my Exchange server 2003 had the comment Database Public Folder Store (Exch001)' on server Exch001 has never had a full online backup' How is this backup setup? Does this mean that an online backup is performed on the Information Stores but not on the Public Folders? Thanks. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO is your public store in a different SG than your mailbox stores? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "JoeCL" <JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37DE8AE8-F7AC-4888-A3D7-223971690DE1@microsoft.com... >A healthcheck performed on my Exchan...

Money Plus (2008) vs. 2007?
I saw Cal's 8/8/07 comments. There had been some hope that 2008 would see "more significant" (my characterization) improvements than we have had these last number of years. I know Dick moved from 2004 to 2007, but even allowing the Nuke-the-Bills fix up, he seemed more tactical in upgrading than happy with 2007. I am still running 2004 and manually inputting prices (not really that hard, but I keep a manageable portfolio), and manually importing statements for account reconciliation. One concern I have is avoiding third party aggregators or using MS ser...

Outlook 2010 Beta access to internet
I just downloaded and installed Office 2010 Beta. Everything appears to work normally except that Outlook can't access the internet unless I turn off my firewall. I am using Windows live One Care. Can anyone explain and help? -- Thanks for your help Recreate the exception for Outlook to pass through your firewall. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "LesHurley&q...

Upgrade from 2004 to 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hi there, I just purchased an upgrade form 2004 to 2008 office for Mac. I downloaded the SW and followed the instructions for install. Part of that was to find older versions on my mac and remove them, which I did. I then launched Entourage and it told me to complete the install i need to locate the older version which earlier it told me to delete. I dont have the install disks so what can I do to get my upgrade working??? Thanks Mike Just managed to speak to MS technical support who told me there is NOTHING I can do unless I get ...

Backing up CCR Passive node with DPM (block level)?
Hello Please check the link from the technet forums I posted. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/fb88bed7-c024-4585-b58d-a8ef58176fc4 Suggested to check out the new threads instead. Basically there is an option in DPM to always choose the passive node in a CCR cluster. I've heard there is a problem though where a consistency check is required and it can transfer up to 90% of the data. Why is DPM doing a block level? Isnt it easier to just check the log files and the database files instead? I'm not an exper...

Exporting calendar in csv file
Hi, i am experiencing troubles in exporting calendar records to a csv file. Office 2003 professional sp3, XP Pro sp3. When I try to export Outlook crashes. The csv file is created, but it misses most events. I have records from 1999 to 2014, about 8000. If I export one single year, for some years exporting to csv works, for some others doesn't. If I split calendar records in more than one pst file, or create a new pst file importing the records, and than try to export in csv, Outlook crashes. I have tried on more than one pc, also with Office 2007, but the same issue happened, s...

DPM to DPM untrusted
Hi There, I'm trying to find out if in DPM 2010 a DPM to DPM backup is supported across untrusted domains? From my reading it appears to not be supported but this is a pretty common/useful scenario for a number of companies. If this is supported can the one DPM server backup multiple DPM servers from multiple untrusted domains? Thanks One way to solve this is by establishing a two way trust between the DPM machines domains. But protecting two different servers without trust between the servers domains in not supported. We will consider this in future DPM releas...

unable to back up using only tape (without disk) with secondary DPM
I have setup a secondary DPM with only tape capabilities (no disk available). When I tried to create a new protection group on the secondary DPM, I unchecked the short term option (disk) and only select the long term option (tape), the "Next" button will get greyed out. Any ideas why is this happening? It happens to all except when I try to protect the Primary DPM or protect itself (secondary DPM). Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice C# .NET Windows Task Scheduler http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9f75423c-4849-4866-ad48-8fbd2ed2ed88/c-...

Word 2008: Can't select & delete text in reviewing pane
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I finally upgraded to Office 2008 (Home & Student edition) after years of being content with the old Office X. (The new docx files made me do it.) I use Word's track changes and comments features all day, every day. Never had a problem until now. When I select text within a comment in the reviewing pane and hit delete, nothing happens. The only way I can delete text in the reviewing pane is letter by letter with the delete key. This is really slowing me down and driving me nuts. Any idea how I can debug this? I...

DPM Consistency Check
I have a 735 GB volume I'm using DPM 2010 on. If I throw it a do a consistency check......it been running for over 5 hours. I plan on protecting a larger file server with millions of files and over 4 TB of data. How long can I expect a consistency check to take? If a consistency check takes days...what happens to my backups? The time to complete a consistency check depends on the change rate for the data, the available network bandwidth, and the time that has passed since the previous successful synchronization job. Here is a good reference chart: http://technet.micro...

New Server for Dynamics 2010
We currently have Microsoft Dynamics 9.0 runnings on an SBS 2003 server and SQL 2000. We are going to buy a new server, which will be a member server to our SBS 2003 server. The new server will be running Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit. We want an 64-bit version of Microsot SQL and the recommended version is SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit. Will Dynamics 2010 run on Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Workgroup 64-bit?? We only have 4 users and probably do less that 250 transaction per day. -- Gary Any information concerning specific configurations can be found on the Mic...

Money Plus 2008
Hi,, Group! Would appreciated any ideas you might have for solving the following problem I have encountered on Money Plus 2008. When I attempt to print a copy of my Portfolio, I get the following error message: "This program does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an Association in the Set Associations Control Panel." I have re-installed Money and installed new drivers for my HP Deskjet 6980 Printer, but that hasn't helped. I when I search for "set associations control panel", I get no results. Thanks in advance for any suggested...

Outlook 2010 and MAPISVC.INF
Hi, I installed Outlook2010 Beta on a Win Vista Enterprise 32-bit system. Well, I am looking for the MAPISVC.INF file, but I can not find it. Where it is? Thanks Christian Why do you need it? I have it at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook here. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE...

Excel 2010 fails to save or open from network drive
In Excel 2010 I receive the following error message whenever I try to open or save a file to a network drive: " Microsoft Excel cannot access the file "C:\Temp\Content.MSO\8A68000 *The file name or path does not exist *The file is being used by another program *The Workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook " I have full permissions to read/write/delete to the network drive as well as c:\temp\Content.mso This happens both on a windows XP sp3 and Windows 7 system. I do not have the save/open problem in Microsoft Word 2010...

Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158) fails with 2010
I am running Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2010 on my laptop. For some reason my machine keeps trying and failing to install Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158). The failure code reads: "WindowsUpdate_80070643" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" Due to this problem, my work security policy will force me off the network while working remotely. How can I fix this problem? Especially since I am running 2010 and not 2007, which is what the KB was written for. See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g., http://support.microsoft.c...