dpm 2010 backup hyperv guest's D drive, best practice? vhd/file sy

I've run into the situation where checking off file shares on a server or
hyperv guest doesnt actually restore the actual share if you do a restore..

(hoping there is a hack to at least backup this info on the volume somehow)..

But this has me questioning the way i backup my virtual servers.. currently,
unless the DC, i do granular file system backups on the guest, by installing
the agent on them, on their D drive anyway.. i dont backup the d drive vhd,
just the OS VHD..

I wish there was a way to do granular file system backups and backup the vhd
too.. so that in the event i need to restore their D drive, i dont have to
create a whole new D drive volume and THEN restore the file system portion..

What is best practice here.. are there any tricks to do?

I hate to do both, it would require nearly 2x the space on the dpm server
(dpm 2010).

Thanks

Mark,

You can install an agent on the host and backup the entire VM. To restore
individual files you can make use of the item level recovery feature. Using
this you can recover individual files/folders/volumes/vhds. Of course, you
need to have DPM installed on a physical server since it is necessary to
have the Hyper-V role available.

Thanks,
--Angad.

--
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights

"markm75" <markm75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've run into the situation where checking off file shares on a server or
> hyperv guest doesnt actually restore the actual share if you do a
> restore..
>
> (hoping there is a hack to at least backup this info on the volume
> somehow)..
>
> But this has me questioning the way i backup my virtual servers..
> currently,
> unless the DC, i do granular file system backups on the guest, by
> installing
> the agent on them, on their D drive anyway.. i dont backup the d drive
> vhd,
> just the OS VHD..
>
> I wish there was a way to do granular file system backups and backup the
> vhd
> too.. so that in the event i need to restore their D drive, i dont have to
> create a whole new D drive volume and THEN restore the file system
> portion..
>
> What is best practice here.. are there any tricks to do?
>
> I hate to do both, it would require nearly 2x the space on the dpm server
> (dpm 2010).
>
> Thanks

0
Angad
5/26/2010 8:23:01 AM
> [...] need to have DPM installed on a physical server

So, it should be the host os, right?

but could I install DPM2010 on a completely different machine (probably with
no hyper-v) and still fully work and backup an hyper-v host/guests ... from
the outer space?

"Angad Pal Singh [MSFT]" <ansingh@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mark,
>
> You can install an agent on the host and backup the entire VM. To restore
> individual files you can make use of the item level recovery feature.
> Using this you can recover individual files/folders/volumes/vhds. Of
> course, you need to have DPM installed on a physical server since it is
> necessary to have the Hyper-V role available.
>
> Thanks,
> --Angad.
>
> --
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "markm75" <markm75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've run into the situation where checking off file shares on a server or
>> hyperv guest doesnt actually restore the actual share if you do a
>> restore..
>>
>> (hoping there is a hack to at least backup this info on the volume
>> somehow)..
>>
>> But this has me questioning the way i backup my virtual servers..
>> currently,
>> unless the DC, i do granular file system backups on the guest, by
>> installing
>> the agent on them, on their D drive anyway.. i dont backup the d drive
>> vhd,
>> just the OS VHD..
>>
>> I wish there was a way to do granular file system backups and backup the
>> vhd
>> too.. so that in the event i need to restore their D drive, i dont have
>> create a whole new D drive volume and THEN restore the file system
>> portion..
>>
>> What is best practice here.. are there any tricks to do?
>>
>> I hate to do both, it would require nearly 2x the space on the dpm server
>> (dpm 2010).
>>
>> Thanks

0
tiriamoavanti
5/26/2010 10:17:15 AM
You can backup the VMs to any DPM server with the Hyper-V role enabled or
not. The Hyper-V role is necessary for an item level recovery alone.

Thanks,
--Angad.

--

"tiriamoavanti" <tiriamoavanti@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> [...] need to have DPM installed on a physical server
>
> So, it should be the host os, right?
>
> but could I install DPM2010 on a completely different machine (probably
> with no hyper-v) and still fully work and backup an hyper-v host/guests
> ... from the outer space?
>
> "Angad Pal Singh [MSFT]" <ansingh@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Mark,
>>
>> You can install an agent on the host and backup the entire VM. To restore
>> individual files you can make use of the item level recovery feature.
>> Using this you can recover individual files/folders/volumes/vhds. Of
>> course, you need to have DPM installed on a physical server since it is
>> necessary to have the Hyper-V role available.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --Angad.
>>
>> --
>> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights
>>
>> "markm75" <markm75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I've run into the situation where checking off file shares on a server
>>> or
>>> hyperv guest doesnt actually restore the actual share if you do a
>>> restore..
>>>
>>> (hoping there is a hack to at least backup this info on the volume
>>> somehow)..
>>>
>>> But this has me questioning the way i backup my virtual servers..
>>> currently,
>>> unless the DC, i do granular file system backups on the guest, by
>>> installing
>>> the agent on them, on their D drive anyway.. i dont backup the d drive
>>> vhd,
>>> just the OS VHD..
>>>
>>> I wish there was a way to do granular file system backups and backup the
>>> vhd
>>> too.. so that in the event i need to restore their D drive, i dont have
>>> create a whole new D drive volume and THEN restore the file system
>>> portion..
>>>
>>> What is best practice here.. are there any tricks to do?
>>>
>>> I hate to do both, it would require nearly 2x the space on the dpm
>>> server
>>> (dpm 2010).
>>>
>>> Thanks

0
Angad
5/27/2010 6:59:44 AM
I didnt realize you could do file level recovery from those..

Only bad part here is, it generally consumes 2x the space, because you are
backing up the entire vhd, which is something we probably cant do for all
virtual servers at this point unfortunately (not enough space and we arlready
have 14TB of space).

"Angad Pal Singh [MSFT]" wrote:

> Mark,
>
> You can install an agent on the host and backup the entire VM. To restore
> individual files you can make use of the item level recovery feature. Using
> this you can recover individual files/folders/volumes/vhds. Of course, you
> need to have DPM installed on a physical server since it is necessary to
> have the Hyper-V role available.
>
> Thanks,
> --Angad.
>
> --
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "markm75" <markm75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've run into the situation where checking off file shares on a server or
> > hyperv guest doesnt actually restore the actual share if you do a
> > restore..
> >
> > (hoping there is a hack to at least backup this info on the volume
> > somehow)..
> >
> > But this has me questioning the way i backup my virtual servers..
> > currently,
> > unless the DC, i do granular file system backups on the guest, by
> > installing
> > the agent on them, on their D drive anyway.. i dont backup the d drive
> > vhd,
> > just the OS VHD..
> >
> > I wish there was a way to do granular file system backups and backup the
> > vhd
> > too.. so that in the event i need to restore their D drive, i dont have to
> > create a whole new D drive volume and THEN restore the file system
> > portion..
> >
> > What is best practice here.. are there any tricks to do?
> >
> > I hate to do both, it would require nearly 2x the space on the dpm server
> > (dpm 2010).
> >
> > Thanks

Setting Right margin in Onenote 2010
Onenote 2010 is great but I haven't figured out how to set the right margin in a note. Here is a screenshot shpwing the problem. I would like to set the margin closer to the right side of the page. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1174390/Screenshot.jpg When I click on a text box, i can't seem to widen it. When I go to View|paper Size, I want to use Auto paper size so the note keeps growing in length. When I select this option, all the other boxes are grayed out. Any help appreciated. Bob On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:37:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob <ralvarez@spambob.ne...

File maintenance for Contracts
Is there a file maintenance routine for Contracts or Field Service? I need to find a way to remove some old contracts that are corrupted. We have several old contracts that show up on the Transactions-Contract Administration-Contract Billing screen. If you try to invoice them GP hangs. We have tried letting it run for over a weekend but it just won't process and keeps showing in the billing screen. I tried the Contract Purge Utility but that didn't resolve the issue. If I try to run the Contract Move routine I get an error message "Another user is accessing Contract Move ...

Best practice: large cold call list
Does anyone have any best practices suggestions or guidance re: the following scenario? My client has purchased approx 100,000 leads. They want to generate "call lists" which is subset of the 100k, and assign a list to a sales person who will then cold call. A list may be generated by "show me everyone in a certain zip code" or "show me anyone within a certain distance from an existing customer". The salesperson calls from the list, and updates the records appropriately. I want to ensure that leads do not end up on more than one call list, and that o...

full system backup
I have a SBS server that I am using backup exec to backup the entire system every day. What part(s) of the exchange store or logs should I be excluding from the data backup? the below note is in the backup exec help section: Note As a general practice, it is recommended that you exclude transaction log directories from the file system backup. As you know the mail stores are in the same directory as the transaction logs so does this mean I should really exclude the entire directory, or just the transaction logs? On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:31:13 -0600, "SBS user" &l...

default pst file
How do I change my default pst file? I want to delete the one that Outlook automatically sets up so I can access the information on my original pst file. Thanks >-----Original Message----- >How do I change my default pst file? I want to delete >the one that Outlook automatically sets up so I can >access the information on my original pst file. >Thanks > >. >the cheap way is to rename your new .pst file(with outlook closed). then when you open outlook it will state that it can not find the file, that will give you a browes button the you just point to the .p...

Time Trial for excel files
Is there anyway you can put a certain time trial into an excel file, so that you can let people view it... but after say 7 days the file will no longer open? There is no bulletproof way of doing this. All solutions rely on macros being enabled and running. Make toe file useless without macros and put all your evil creativity into the timer macro. Best wishes Harald "The Boondock Saint" <robport@{nospam}inspire.net.nz> skrev i melding news:42039c47@clear.net.nz... > Is there anyway you can put a certain time trial into an excel file, so that > you can let people view ...

VB6 Data missing when writing to a text file.
Hi, I'm having a problem when writing text to a text file. My program opens the file and then periodically from different routines a line will be written to it. I close the file before ending the program. The problem is that some of the lines are not getting to the file. Could it be that the program is ending too quickly after Close statement ? Sample code: fname = "\Event_Log.txt" Err_Log_Filenum = FreeFile() Open App.Path & fname For Append As Err_Log_Filenum Then periodically: Print #Err_Log_Filenum, Format$(Now, "mm-dd-yy hh:m...

PST file corruption after virus quarantine
I have a PST file that was quarantined by Norton A/V Corp 8.6. After restoring the file, it would not import into the new Outlook XP profile. The error message said that the file was not an Outlook PST file. I ran scanpst on the file which found and repaired errors. After that, when I tried to import it, the only things that showed up during the import were a "recovered" folder and a "deleted" folder - there did not appear to be any messages in either folder. The pst file is approx 200mb in size. Is there something I can do to recover the file? Thanks Rathe...

After a hard drive format
Before I format my hard drive (it's time)what files do I need to backup to retain my emails and email addresses? Where do I find them? Thanks, Marvin If you are using Outlook 2000/2002, search for files with the extension ".pst". The exact location will depend on what operation system you are using. Regards Darren PS within your newsgroups settings, change your e-mail address to something like marskyNOSPAM@mindspring.com. Newsgroups are where spammers gain their e-mail addresses from by using "spiders" or "web-bots" to gain details of such addresses. ...

List of Categories in Outlook 2010
Is there any way of getting a printable list of categories assigned in Microsoft Outlook 2010? e.g. to allow the list to be fine-tuned and or for colleagues to also have the same categories available TIA! I would do a print screen, personally. The following macro in Outlook should work to produce a list of categories in a Word document. Set a reference to the Microsoft Word object library in the vba editor (Tools > References). Although aimed at Word the principles shown at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm apply to Outlook also should you not know what to do with macro lis...

Unable to open .pst file in my outlook
I have pst file (4692000 KB) that I want to open in my MS outlook. I went to File--open---and chose the file from it's location in the c drive. At that time I get a message 'File access is denied. You do not have permission required to access the file c:\filename.pst'. Pl help. Paddy wrote: > I have pst file (4692000 KB) that I want to open in my MS outlook. I went to > File--open---and chose the file from it's location in the c drive. > > At that time I get a message 'File access is denied. You do not have > permission required to acc...

Organizational Structures Best Practices
Can anyone provide me with "best practices" information on the use of Organizational Structures? Before organizational structures was available in GP, I just used the chart of accounts to set up segments for segregating financial data by department, line of business, region, etc. Now I'm not certain when and where segments in the chart of accounts should be used vs. Org Structure functionality. How are they used together? I suggest you try OE only if you want to secure account segments or accounts for a specific department or business unit. Please refer to the System Se...

Are ribbons created in Word 2010 backward compatible to Word 2007
I understand that creating tabs/ribbons in Word 2010 is much easier than in word 2007. Are they backward-compatible from Word 2010 to Word 2007? ...

What about DPM 2010 Rc
Anyone use 2010 RC in a production environment? I've put it on a VM to look at it, and it would be nice to use it in production. My Number 1 Reason To Upgrade >>> Can Disable Daily Tape Backups for Saturday and Sunday What's your reason(s) for upgrading? How is it working out for you? Yes. 6 protection groups, 10 servers, 20 vms on a 6 node hyper-v cluster with csv. Runs great. A few quirks here and there but overall great. A far cry from our last backup solution. I basically set it and forget it. Check it when I get in to the office in the morning. ...

Opening a file
How do I open a document without the stencil pane or the internet search pane opening at the same time ? I want the audience to see the content without distraction ! On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:54:01 -0800, Tim Arkell..Wollongong <Tim Arkell..Wollongong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I open a document without the stencil pane or the internet search pane >opening at the same time ? Close the stencil pane, then menu File -> Save As and ensure the Workspace is ticked. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila....

Database disappeared when i accidentally exported it 2 split file
Hi,everyone.i have a big problem here.i accidentally exported my table to my split file and now when i try to open the table,it shows "the microsoft office access database cannot find the input table or query 'filename'.Make sure it exists and that it's name is spelled correctly." What is wrong with the thing?Did i delete the database accidentally?If so,how do i retrieve it back?Hope to hear from you guys soon.Have a nice day On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:23:08 -0800, boon <boon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi,everyone.i have a big problem here.i accidental...

Problem copying large file on USB storage...
Hello, I'm working on Windows CE 5.0 and I have the following problem : I insert a USB storage device in the USB port and I try to copy a large file (about 5MB) from NAND Flash to USB storage device. The copy started but sometimes it doesn't finish. The OS doesn't show a copy error but I see that the file there isn't on the USB storage. This problem there isn't with small files (about KB). Any idea or suggestion ? Thanks in advance, Paolo -- Paolo Patierno Embedded Software Engineer > Any idea or suggestion ? Hi Paolo, Does the USB host drive...

argh email backup recovery
ok so I have standard NTbackups of my sbs 2003 installation. I have email for my 3 users stored in the backups no problem and have been able to extract the emails (I had to do a fresh install of everything except the emails for unrelated reasons). So in my \sbs\first storage group\mailbox store are the 3 new email boxes and people are able to access them fine. I also have the 3 old mailbox stores that I have restored to the server as well. I've tried to merge old emails via exmerge or recovery storage etc but it keeps complaining that the active directory doesn't match. Can anyon...

Exchange Best Practise Tool
I applied Windows 2003 SP1 to all my exchange servers in head office and one in a remote site but under same org. I ran Exchange best Practise Tool and ot show this warning for all the Exchange Servers .... Windows Server 2003 is running pre-release software (It says this message abotu Windows 2003 SP1 and this link it provides ... http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Analyzer/821a3f42-e577-4f91-ae24-0dc384b363a9.mspx?mfr=true Have anybody experince this before? Advise please. Thank you When you follow the KB and look at the version info in the registry, what does...

DCM for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010
Does anyone know if a DCM pack is available for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010? If you are looking for System center configuration management pack for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 they are available for DPM health monitoring. If you want DPM 2010 Management pack please mail me at praveend-at-microsoft-dot-com. The closest answer to DCM pack for DPM would be DPM's Best practice analyzer guidelines which can be downloadable from DPM sites. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John H" <JohnH@di...

Sheet Names Must be MMMM d (only if workday)
Hi again All WinXP Excel 97 I have a template where, when opened, I need each worksheet in the book to be named according to the date using MMMM d format but ONLY if the days are workdays. (i.e. Sheet1 would be renamed June 1, Sheet2 would be renamed June 2, Sheet3 would be renamed June 3 etc. but only if June 1, June 2 and June 3 are workdays.) At present, when the workbook opens, I have the users manually entering the first workday of the month into an input box which is then programatically placed in Cell A1 which I figured would be a good starting reference. Any suggestions? Thank you...

DPM Console crash
Hi there, In our DPM setup we have a created a filter to disable the weekend back-up. It was working fine till a couple of weeks a go. Now when we want to change the date in the filter the DPM console crashes. Does anyone has a solution for this problem? Witch errlog should we troubleshoot Regards, MihaiM Hi MihaiM, You can look at the error logs for UI at: DPM Install location \ temp. Paste the error logs excerpt about exception here or send the error logs to MUKULS [AT] MICROSOFT [DOT] COM -- Thanks and Regards Mukul This posting is provided "AS IS&...

recover corrupted excel 2007 file
Hi - I didn't safely remove my usb device and now 3 of my excel files are corrupted. No readable data, just gobbledy gook. For some reasons there also seems to be an extra 'X' to the file extension. eg. .xlsx. Can anyone help me to recover as my accounting assignment took me 4 hours to complete with a lot of formulaes. Hi , You could open the files save them as .xml open the new xml files save them as xls "Loz" <Loz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A14B258-16A7-4185-AD7E-A46905519EEB@microsoft.com... > Hi - I didn't safely re...

Public Folder Online Backup
A healthcheck performed on my Exchange server 2003 had the comment Database Public Folder Store (Exch001)' on server Exch001 has never had a full online backup' How is this backup setup? Does this mean that an online backup is performed on the Information Stores but not on the Public Folders? Thanks. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO is your public store in a different SG than your mailbox stores? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "JoeCL" <JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37DE8AE8-F7AC-4888-A3D7-223971690DE1@microsoft.com... >A healthcheck performed on my Exchan...

Rename files
Hi How to rename all files in a directory changing string BLABLA to BLUBLU Thanks in advance On Jan 20, 3:06=A0pm, "bob123" <bob...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > How to rename all =A0files in a directory > changing string BLABLA to BLUBLU > > Thanks in advance Is this a recurring task, or just a one time thing? If it's just a one time thing, try opening a command prompt in the desired folder and issuing a REN command, as in ... ren "BLABLA*.*" "BLUBLU*.*" Otherwise doing it in VBscript is messy (unless it...