DPM 2007 SQL database performance

I am running DOM 2007 on storage server 2003 R2.  I allocated about 5 GB of
Ram to the SQL instance for DPM and allowed it access to all 4 cores of a
single Quad Core Xeon proc.  The install is running on a RAID 5 array of 1 TB
7200 rpm SATA drives.  The database is now at 4.5 GB after a little over 1
year of use.  Performance is really bad and degrading quickly.  I commonly
see 15 minute wait times when performing management operations like modifying
a protection group.  At this point is it safe to assume the disk array is my
main issues?  Is it common for Databases to crest 4 GB and how should
performance hold up when they do?  Any suggestions for improving the current
situation short of replacing the disk array (I am already budgeting for a new
disk array to get the database on 15k drives but that could be a year out
right now, and i am waiting to see how DPM 2010 looks before going that
route).  Is there a script for optimizing the database as it growes to keep
it healthy?

The meta data size of 4 GB in the DPM DB sounds fine. Is the modification of
PG the only thing which is slow OR are you seeing effects on the UI / job
running performance.

--
Thanks,

Kapil

"aboehm" <aboehm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running DOM 2007 on storage server 2003 R2.  I allocated about 5 GB of
> Ram to the SQL instance for DPM and allowed it access to all 4 cores of a
> single Quad Core Xeon proc.  The install is running on a RAID 5 array of 1
> TB
> 7200 rpm SATA drives.  The database is now at 4.5 GB after a little over 1
> year of use.  Performance is really bad and degrading quickly.  I commonly
> see 15 minute wait times when performing management operations like
> modifying
> a protection group.  At this point is it safe to assume the disk array is
> my
> main issues?  Is it common for Databases to crest 4 GB and how should
> performance hold up when they do?  Any suggestions for improving the
> current
> situation short of replacing the disk array (I am already budgeting for a
> new
> disk array to get the database on 15k drives but that could be a year out
> right now, and i am waiting to see how DPM 2010 looks before going that
> route).  Is there a script for optimizing the database as it growes to
> keep
> it healthy?

0
Kapil
2/15/2010 3:33:07 AM
Job performance does not seem to be effected but the UI is greatly impacted.
I ran the latest hot fix to get up to 8861 and the disk space modifications
have improved but I still see quite a bit of latency in moving between tabs
and opening the screens to make setting modifications.  The SQL proccess
instance usually runs at about 25% CPU time while I am working in the
console.  It just seems that even the smallest interaction with the Database
is painfully slow.

"Kapil Malhotra [MSFT]" wrote:

> The meta data size of 4 GB in the DPM DB sounds fine. Is the modification of
> PG the only thing which is slow OR are you seeing effects on the UI / job
> running performance.
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Kapil
>
> "aboehm" <aboehm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running DOM 2007 on storage server 2003 R2.  I allocated about 5 GB of
> > Ram to the SQL instance for DPM and allowed it access to all 4 cores of a
> > single Quad Core Xeon proc.  The install is running on a RAID 5 array of 1
> > TB
> > 7200 rpm SATA drives.  The database is now at 4.5 GB after a little over 1
> > year of use.  Performance is really bad and degrading quickly.  I commonly
> > see 15 minute wait times when performing management operations like
> > modifying
> > a protection group.  At this point is it safe to assume the disk array is
> > my
> > main issues?  Is it common for Databases to crest 4 GB and how should
> > performance hold up when they do?  Any suggestions for improving the
> > current
> > situation short of replacing the disk array (I am already budgeting for a
> > new
> > disk array to get the database on 15k drives but that could be a year out
> > right now, and i am waiting to see how DPM 2010 looks before going that
> > route).  Is there a script for optimizing the database as it growes to
> > keep
> > it healthy?
> >

> .

Money 2007 for Canada ?
Hi, I tried the trial for money 2007 and am wondering if I can purchase it ? The trial gives me a link but the dropdowns for the country don't allow for Canada. Can I import my money 2007 file in Quicken 2007 if I can't purchase Money ? Thanks In Advance In microsoft.public.money, None wrote: >Hi, > I tried the trial for money 2007 and am wondering if I can purchase it ? >The trial gives me a link but the dropdowns for the country don't allow for >Canada. For whatever reason, Money 2007 is not sold in Canada. It is deemed to not be regionalized fo...

What about DPM 2010 Rc
Anyone use 2010 RC in a production environment? I've put it on a VM to look at it, and it would be nice to use it in production. My Number 1 Reason To Upgrade >>> Can Disable Daily Tape Backups for Saturday and Sunday What's your reason(s) for upgrading? How is it working out for you? Yes. 6 protection groups, 10 servers, 20 vms on a 6 node hyper-v cluster with csv. Runs great. A few quirks here and there but overall great. A far cry from our last backup solution. I basically set it and forget it. Check it when I get in to the office in the morning. ...

Are ribbons created in Word 2010 backward compatible to Word 2007
I understand that creating tabs/ribbons in Word 2010 is much easier than in word 2007. Are they backward-compatible from Word 2010 to Word 2007? ...

Database disappeared when i accidentally exported it 2 split file
Hi,everyone.i have a big problem here.i accidentally exported my table to my split file and now when i try to open the table,it shows "the microsoft office access database cannot find the input table or query 'filename'.Make sure it exists and that it's name is spelled correctly." What is wrong with the thing?Did i delete the database accidentally?If so,how do i retrieve it back?Hope to hear from you guys soon.Have a nice day On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:23:08 -0800, boon <boon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi,everyone.i have a big problem here.i accidental...

Link to external database
Hi there, is it possible to create a new database and link the tables with CRM database tables? And if so, is it still possible to create reports, with that external data, inside MS CRM? Thanks in advance. ...

Excel integration with databases
I am wondering about the integration between Excel and an Oracle database. What I am trying to do is develop a form that will pull data from an Oracle view, allow for users to update information, and then save the data into another table. Is this possible? If so, how? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You can use ADO and SQL to do so. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=295646 How To Transfer Data from ADO Data Source to Excel with ADO http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=278973 SAMPLE: ExcelADO Demonstrates How to Use ADO to Read and Write Data in Excel Wo...

Outlook 2007 Agenda View
I just upgraded computers and also to Microsoft Office Professional 2007. In Outlook 97, I used the 7 day agenda view, but cannot find that view in Outlook 2007. Is it there or how can I get that view? Thanks That view is not available in Outlook 2007. The closest you can get is a 2 week view - see http://slipstick.me/2wk -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter...

Deleting demo data from database?
MS Small Business Server MS CRM 1.2 SQL 2000 I want to delet all demo data from my database and want to enter new data in the database. How can i do this? Awan There is no easy way to do this. You can try deleting records manually via the UI, but if you have a alot of data, this will take awhile. Another, though unsupported, approach would be to set the DeleteionStateCode field in every table to 2. This will allow the deletion service to remove the records. Or, you can try manually deleting from each of the tables (again, unsupported). Just be careful not to delete records from the CR...

Auto Send Email from Excel 2007 No Error when Outlook 2007 is full
I have a macro that automatically sends email from excel 2007 through outlook 2007. The problem is that if the user's outlook inbox is at the size limit it will not send the email. When we were on Office 2003 my error handler worked to let the user know that the email wasn't sent, but now on office 2007 it just doesn't send and doesn't let the user know that the email did not go. The code also would recognize an error if the email address was invalid in 2003, but that does not work in 2007 either: just the email is not sent. My code is below (most of it was from Ron de Brui...

free ip address in asset database, not remove them?
Win 7, access 2007 , tables: asset and ip, relation (asset.ipIP, foreign)one-to-one(ip.ID, primary) when I delete an asset from asset table using form it is also deleted from IP table. This should work such as the IP address remains to be used in other asset. How to resolve this? If I change the relation there is no more validatation that one IP address is used once? Other problem is that how I can make forms in "read only" mode without creating copies of them and setting properties? that user cannot make changes to table by accident. Help me, Please! -S On Mon, ...

Distorted Print Preview in Excel 2007
All of the sudden Print Preview and printing is distorted as compared to the chart as displayed during design. Verticle grid lines are missing and the horizontal axis appears to be log. ...

Publisher 2007 #2
I am testing out Office 2007, including Publisher 2007. I have been using Publisher 2000 for years to produce a 20 page newsletter (double sided booklet). I have tried using Publisher 2007 to produce our latest newsletter and had some major problems you should look at in this Beta. 1) When I use the save option to save my publication in Publisher 2000 format it fails to work correctly. Images in the publication are lost and when I open the resulting file in Puiblisher 2000 it causes it to crash. 2) When I try to print my publication to A3 (double sided) the pages come out incorrectly. I ...

Excel 2007 will not start.... all of a sudden.. pls help
Hi, I have Office 2007... All modules were working fine on clicking icons of word,access,excel etc. All of a sudden to day I can not start.. excel.. other programs .. starts. on starting excel. clicking Icon... I get message as follow. " This file does not have a program associated with ith it for performing this actoion. Create an association with set association control Panel. " Also when With window explorer I go in office12 folder clicking excel EXE file doe not start error message this is not win32 file. can somebody help.. or do I have to reinstall Office 2007 ...

style menu, excel 2007 sp2
Is there any way to turn off the "mini" menu of all the styles? I really just want the "conditional formatting" and "format as table" buttons, instead I have a bunch of additional formatting options. Thanks. ...

MS$ 2007 Not Updating (Kinda)
I have Money Deluxe 2007. When I try to perform updates of my accounts, it will stay forever with the text of "Updating in Progress", but the updating symbol on the top right of the Accounts list will eventually stop spinning and become a red "x". None of my accounts will have updated. As soon as I modify what to download and uncheck my stocks and mutual funds, the download will work properly. All of my stocks and mutual funds are updating fine, whether I manually run the update or it automatically updates them. Does anyone know what is going on here? Thanks, Merg ...

Can you create a performance dashboard using Excel?
I'd like to create performance dashboards for organizations. These would consist of multiple charts on one page reflecting current and year to date performance for key measures. Is there an Excel template that does this? ...

"Name Conflict" when Excel 2007 open an old worksheet
Hi all, An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change the worksheet file name could not solve the problem after tested. Why? Thank you, Chik "Chik" <c...@netvigator.com> wrote... >An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as >a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also >could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change th...

outlook 2007 rules error
When trying to set up a out of office reply rule, I'm not using exchange server, it gives me an "rules in error" and doesn't sent the reply. It looks like this has been a problem for other people but I haven't found a fix anywhere. Any ideas? Rcampy wrote: > When trying to set up a out of office reply rule, I'm not using exchange > server, it gives me an "rules in error" and doesn't sent the reply. It looks > like this has been a problem for other people but I haven't found a fix > anywhere. Any ideas? You want us to...

Cannot connect outlook 2007 to exchange 2003 via LAN
Hello there, I got a new laptop for work running Vista and outlook 2007 and no matter how many times I tried setting it up to connect to the exchange server 2003, I always get the message that outlook is not connected and it needs to be connected to complete this action.... I used to have a laptop running XP and outlook 2003 and it worked fine with the same mailbox settings . Any ideas please? are you inside the network or trying to connect for the first time over the internet? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook...

Outlook 2007 Categories
My colleagues like to use the categories feature in Outlook 2007. They order their email list by categories, this allows emails which are not categorised to appear at the top of their list. A problem occurs when they receive an email that is linked to CRM, this is because the email automatically gets categorised into whatever the regarding field is called. Is there any way to turn off this feature, thereby allowing emails linked to CRM to still appear in the "not categorised" section. We will still need emails to link to CRM though. On Jun 7, 9:23=A0pm, JamesE <Jam...@disc...

How to share AUTOCORRECT between WORD 2007 and OUTLOOK 2007
I have autocorrect working properly in Word 2007. I tried to get the feature to work in outlook as well, by coping the normal.dotm to the normalemail.dotm file. This did not work for somke reason. any idea. I don't mean autotext, but autocorrect. thanks -- Hal Is autocorrect enabled in tools, options, spelling? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about ...

Boosting performance of CRM reports
I seem to recall reading that it is possible to boost the performance of CRM reporting by starting a second APS session. Is this correct? Tks...Graeme Hi Graeme You may be referring to a second Crystal Pageserver service? This is possible, but you may wish to watch CPU % for both pageserver.exe services, to be sure they are both actually being used. You should find some improvement from increasing the crystal cache server, information on this is hard to come by. Try increasing it to 512Mb, the default is 5Mb, this is a soft cache and uses disk space. Just add this parameter to the e...

Why does header/footer (2007) fade when in the document?
In Word 2007, why does the information in the header and footer fades out? I put a legend, with different colors, in the footers but when I am in the document the header and footer fade out instead of being full color like in Word 2003. The same for the header where I have a logo. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-b...

DCM for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010
Does anyone know if a DCM pack is available for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010? If you are looking for System center configuration management pack for DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 they are available for DPM health monitoring. If you want DPM 2010 Management pack please mail me at praveend-at-microsoft-dot-com. The closest answer to DCM pack for DPM would be DPM's Best practice analyzer guidelines which can be downloadable from DPM sites. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John H" <JohnH@di...

calling sql loader from vba
I have a access application front-end with an oracle back end (odbc) On a daily basis we have to import a large text file into one of the Oracle tables. We do this by using the sql loader utility. I have created a controlfile for this I have two requests for help. First: Please could somebody help me with some vba code to launch the sql loader exe (which is on the local drive) with this ctl file as its parameter from a button in a form in the access application. Second: when the sql loader program will launch, a dos box is shown by it showing its load progress. It will close itself ...