Backup of 2008R2 Hyper-V CSV enabled cluster with DPM2010

Hi,

I am having some issues with backuping up Hyper-V guests running on a 
2-server node and CSV enabled volumes. DPM2010 is running inside a guest on 
ServerA and can successfully backup guests that are situated on ServerB, but 
as soon as I live-migrate the guest to ServerA, the backup then fails. If I 
check the eventlogs, it says the Virtual Disk service and Shadow copy service 
is starting and then stopping due to timeout after a while. As soon as I 
live-migrate the guest back to ServerB and attempt a new backup (or 
consistency check for that matter) the processes succeeds. In an attempt to 
replicate the error, I installed a stand-alone Hyper-V R2 server, installed a 
guest and installed DPM2010 and tried the same thing, i.e. backing up a a 
guest running on the same Hyper-V server that the guest with DPM2010 and this 
worked hence leaves me to think there is some error with CSV enabled volumes. 
I tried installing KB975354 however this resulted in other errors and it 
didn't resolve the issue, hence I have uninstalled that hotfix. Also, I have 
done what the DPM2010 manual says regarding CSV enabled volumes and 
serialization of backups.

As for information I have posted the thread 
(http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=cedaf455-9ea2-4d68-83ee-0b02e0767a28&cat=en_US_d02fc761-3f6b-402c-82f6-ba1a8875c1a7&lang=en&cr=&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1) 
that seemed to have the same error but after some closer reading it isn't at 
all the same issue hence I decided to start a new thread.

Any ideas are welcome since I've more or less ran out of them.
Mike
0
Utf
11/19/2009 12:17:03 PM
dataprotectionmanager 1083 articles. 0 followers. Follow

7 Replies
1365 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 0

Hi Mike,

If you attempted the backup while the Live Migration was in progress, then 
the backup is supposed to fail. If not, could you zip up the logs both on 
the DPM server and the machine on which the VM's were residing and send them 
to manmeetd @ microsoft . com

Thanks
Manmeet

-- 
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
"Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:878ACACF-0F4C-4F2C-B360-FCA206D999A9@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am having some issues with backuping up Hyper-V guests running on a
> 2-server node and CSV enabled volumes. DPM2010 is running inside a guest 
> on
> ServerA and can successfully backup guests that are situated on ServerB, 
> but
> as soon as I live-migrate the guest to ServerA, the backup then fails. If 
> I
> check the eventlogs, it says the Virtual Disk service and Shadow copy 
> service
> is starting and then stopping due to timeout after a while. As soon as I
> live-migrate the guest back to ServerB and attempt a new backup (or
> consistency check for that matter) the processes succeeds. In an attempt 
> to
> replicate the error, I installed a stand-alone Hyper-V R2 server, 
> installed a
> guest and installed DPM2010 and tried the same thing, i.e. backing up a a
> guest running on the same Hyper-V server that the guest with DPM2010 and 
> this
> worked hence leaves me to think there is some error with CSV enabled 
> volumes.
> I tried installing KB975354 however this resulted in other errors and it
> didn't resolve the issue, hence I have uninstalled that hotfix. Also, I 
> have
> done what the DPM2010 manual says regarding CSV enabled volumes and
> serialization of backups.
>
> As for information I have posted the thread
> (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=cedaf455-9ea2-4d68-83ee-0b02e0767a28&cat=en_US_d02fc761-3f6b-402c-82f6-ba1a8875c1a7&lang=en&cr=&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1)
> that seemed to have the same error but after some closer reading it isn't 
> at
> all the same issue hence I decided to start a new thread.
>
> Any ideas are welcome since I've more or less ran out of them.
> Mike 


0
Manmeet
11/19/2009 3:42:39 PM
Here's a blog on how DPM2010 is supposed to protect a Live Migrating VM: http://hyper-v.nu/blogs/hans/?p=148



frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager/Backup-of-2008R2-Hyper-V-CSV-enabled-cluster-with
0
Hans
11/19/2009 6:39:35 PM
Hi,

The backup wasn't attempted during a Live Migration progress. I worked a bit 
more on the error and installed a new DPM server running Windows2008R2 
instead of the old one that had Windows2008. I did this just to make sure it 
wasn't something in 2008 that were giving me a hard time. As I did this, I 
was also able to migrate the DPM guest to the other Hyper-V server (which I 
couldn't before because I was using pass-through disks). A few trials and I 
now know that I don't have an issue backing up a VM that's one the same 
Hyper-V server as the DPM VM, rather, I have an issue backing up anything 
that's on that specific Hyper-V server that I've called ServerA below. I 
uninstalled the DPM agent, rebooted the Hyper-V server, manually installed 
and attached the agent to the DPM server and attempted a new backup of a VM 
that was residing on the Hyper-V server ServerA, still didn't work.

Not entirely sure which log files you want me to send from the DPM server, 
from the Hyper-V server that's having the issue I'm assuming you want the 
logfiles from %programfilesdir%\Microsoft Data Protection 
Manager\DPM\*.errorlog?

"Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> 
> If you attempted the backup while the Live Migration was in progress, then 
> the backup is supposed to fail. If not, could you zip up the logs both on 
> the DPM server and the machine on which the VM's were residing and send them 
> to manmeetd @ microsoft . com
> 
> Thanks
> Manmeet
> 
> -- 
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
> "Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:878ACACF-0F4C-4F2C-B360-FCA206D999A9@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having some issues with backuping up Hyper-V guests running on a
> > 2-server node and CSV enabled volumes. DPM2010 is running inside a guest 
> > on
> > ServerA and can successfully backup guests that are situated on ServerB, 
> > but
> > as soon as I live-migrate the guest to ServerA, the backup then fails. If 
> > I
> > check the eventlogs, it says the Virtual Disk service and Shadow copy 
> > service
> > is starting and then stopping due to timeout after a while. As soon as I
> > live-migrate the guest back to ServerB and attempt a new backup (or
> > consistency check for that matter) the processes succeeds. In an attempt 
> > to
> > replicate the error, I installed a stand-alone Hyper-V R2 server, 
> > installed a
> > guest and installed DPM2010 and tried the same thing, i.e. backing up a a
> > guest running on the same Hyper-V server that the guest with DPM2010 and 
> > this
> > worked hence leaves me to think there is some error with CSV enabled 
> > volumes.
> > I tried installing KB975354 however this resulted in other errors and it
> > didn't resolve the issue, hence I have uninstalled that hotfix. Also, I 
> > have
> > done what the DPM2010 manual says regarding CSV enabled volumes and
> > serialization of backups.
> >
> > As for information I have posted the thread
> > (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=cedaf455-9ea2-4d68-83ee-0b02e0767a28&cat=en_US_d02fc761-3f6b-402c-82f6-ba1a8875c1a7&lang=en&cr=&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1)
> > that seemed to have the same error but after some closer reading it isn't 
> > at
> > all the same issue hence I decided to start a new thread.
> >
> > Any ideas are welcome since I've more or less ran out of them.
> > Mike 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
11/19/2009 8:30:06 PM
Yes those are the logs I am interested in. Please include logs from both the 
DPM server + the machine on which the VM is running i.e. Server A in this 
case.

Thanks
Manmeet

-- 
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
"Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:119CEB29-73D5-4927-AD42-DE72BD2F84BF@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> The backup wasn't attempted during a Live Migration progress. I worked a 
> bit
> more on the error and installed a new DPM server running Windows2008R2
> instead of the old one that had Windows2008. I did this just to make sure 
> it
> wasn't something in 2008 that were giving me a hard time. As I did this, I
> was also able to migrate the DPM guest to the other Hyper-V server (which 
> I
> couldn't before because I was using pass-through disks). A few trials and 
> I
> now know that I don't have an issue backing up a VM that's one the same
> Hyper-V server as the DPM VM, rather, I have an issue backing up anything
> that's on that specific Hyper-V server that I've called ServerA below. I
> uninstalled the DPM agent, rebooted the Hyper-V server, manually installed
> and attached the agent to the DPM server and attempted a new backup of a 
> VM
> that was residing on the Hyper-V server ServerA, still didn't work.
>
> Not entirely sure which log files you want me to send from the DPM server,
> from the Hyper-V server that's having the issue I'm assuming you want the
> logfiles from %programfilesdir%\Microsoft Data Protection
> Manager\DPM\*.errorlog?
>
> "Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> If you attempted the backup while the Live Migration was in progress, 
>> then
>> the backup is supposed to fail. If not, could you zip up the logs both on
>> the DPM server and the machine on which the VM's were residing and send 
>> them
>> to manmeetd @ microsoft . com
>>
>> Thanks
>> Manmeet
>>
>> -- 
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>> rights
>> "Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
>> message
>> news:878ACACF-0F4C-4F2C-B360-FCA206D999A9@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am having some issues with backuping up Hyper-V guests running on a
>> > 2-server node and CSV enabled volumes. DPM2010 is running inside a 
>> > guest
>> > on
>> > ServerA and can successfully backup guests that are situated on 
>> > ServerB,
>> > but
>> > as soon as I live-migrate the guest to ServerA, the backup then fails. 
>> > If
>> > I
>> > check the eventlogs, it says the Virtual Disk service and Shadow copy
>> > service
>> > is starting and then stopping due to timeout after a while. As soon as 
>> > I
>> > live-migrate the guest back to ServerB and attempt a new backup (or
>> > consistency check for that matter) the processes succeeds. In an 
>> > attempt
>> > to
>> > replicate the error, I installed a stand-alone Hyper-V R2 server,
>> > installed a
>> > guest and installed DPM2010 and tried the same thing, i.e. backing up a 
>> > a
>> > guest running on the same Hyper-V server that the guest with DPM2010 
>> > and
>> > this
>> > worked hence leaves me to think there is some error with CSV enabled
>> > volumes.
>> > I tried installing KB975354 however this resulted in other errors and 
>> > it
>> > didn't resolve the issue, hence I have uninstalled that hotfix. Also, I
>> > have
>> > done what the DPM2010 manual says regarding CSV enabled volumes and
>> > serialization of backups.
>> >
>> > As for information I have posted the thread
>> > (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=cedaf455-9ea2-4d68-83ee-0b02e0767a28&cat=en_US_d02fc761-3f6b-402c-82f6-ba1a8875c1a7&lang=en&cr=&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1)
>> > that seemed to have the same error but after some closer reading it 
>> > isn't
>> > at
>> > all the same issue hence I decided to start a new thread.
>> >
>> > Any ideas are welcome since I've more or less ran out of them.
>> > Mike
>>
>>
>> .
>> 


0
Manmeet
11/20/2009 3:21:18 PM
Hi Mike,

I went through the error logs. This issue is due to a bug which has been 
fixed in KB 975354. In order to setup protection on a CSV cluster, there are 
some pre-requisite settings which are required to be done. These settings 
are described in the documentation released with DPM 2010 Beta. The HyperV 
specific document is DPM2010BetaProtectingHyperV.docx. Please refer to the 
section "Understanding Protection For Cluster Shared Volumes". These steps 
will have to be followed if you don't have a hardware provider configured 
which means you will have to serialize your backups per CSV volume. If you 
have a hardware provider configured then you will need to install KB 975354 
on your HyperV servers.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks
Manmeet

-- 
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
"Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" <manmeetd@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:%23vYzcUfaKHA.544@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Yes those are the logs I am interested in. Please include logs from both 
> the DPM server + the machine on which the VM is running i.e. Server A in 
> this case.
>
> Thanks
> Manmeet
>
> -- 
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
> "Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
> message news:119CEB29-73D5-4927-AD42-DE72BD2F84BF@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> The backup wasn't attempted during a Live Migration progress. I worked a 
>> bit
>> more on the error and installed a new DPM server running Windows2008R2
>> instead of the old one that had Windows2008. I did this just to make sure 
>> it
>> wasn't something in 2008 that were giving me a hard time. As I did this, 
>> I
>> was also able to migrate the DPM guest to the other Hyper-V server (which 
>> I
>> couldn't before because I was using pass-through disks). A few trials and 
>> I
>> now know that I don't have an issue backing up a VM that's one the same
>> Hyper-V server as the DPM VM, rather, I have an issue backing up anything
>> that's on that specific Hyper-V server that I've called ServerA below. I
>> uninstalled the DPM agent, rebooted the Hyper-V server, manually 
>> installed
>> and attached the agent to the DPM server and attempted a new backup of a 
>> VM
>> that was residing on the Hyper-V server ServerA, still didn't work.
>>
>> Not entirely sure which log files you want me to send from the DPM 
>> server,
>> from the Hyper-V server that's having the issue I'm assuming you want the
>> logfiles from %programfilesdir%\Microsoft Data Protection
>> Manager\DPM\*.errorlog?
>>
>> "Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> If you attempted the backup while the Live Migration was in progress, 
>>> then
>>> the backup is supposed to fail. If not, could you zip up the logs both 
>>> on
>>> the DPM server and the machine on which the VM's were residing and send 
>>> them
>>> to manmeetd @ microsoft . com
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Manmeet
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>>> rights
>>> "Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
>>> message
>>> news:878ACACF-0F4C-4F2C-B360-FCA206D999A9@microsoft.com...
>>> > Hi,
>>> >
>>> > I am having some issues with backuping up Hyper-V guests running on a
>>> > 2-server node and CSV enabled volumes. DPM2010 is running inside a 
>>> > guest
>>> > on
>>> > ServerA and can successfully backup guests that are situated on 
>>> > ServerB,
>>> > but
>>> > as soon as I live-migrate the guest to ServerA, the backup then fails. 
>>> > If
>>> > I
>>> > check the eventlogs, it says the Virtual Disk service and Shadow copy
>>> > service
>>> > is starting and then stopping due to timeout after a while. As soon as 
>>> > I
>>> > live-migrate the guest back to ServerB and attempt a new backup (or
>>> > consistency check for that matter) the processes succeeds. In an 
>>> > attempt
>>> > to
>>> > replicate the error, I installed a stand-alone Hyper-V R2 server,
>>> > installed a
>>> > guest and installed DPM2010 and tried the same thing, i.e. backing up 
>>> > a a
>>> > guest running on the same Hyper-V server that the guest with DPM2010 
>>> > and
>>> > this
>>> > worked hence leaves me to think there is some error with CSV enabled
>>> > volumes.
>>> > I tried installing KB975354 however this resulted in other errors and 
>>> > it
>>> > didn't resolve the issue, hence I have uninstalled that hotfix. Also, 
>>> > I
>>> > have
>>> > done what the DPM2010 manual says regarding CSV enabled volumes and
>>> > serialization of backups.
>>> >
>>> > As for information I have posted the thread
>>> > (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=cedaf455-9ea2-4d68-83ee-0b02e0767a28&cat=en_US_d02fc761-3f6b-402c-82f6-ba1a8875c1a7&lang=en&cr=&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1)
>>> > that seemed to have the same error but after some closer reading it 
>>> > isn't
>>> > at
>>> > all the same issue hence I decided to start a new thread.
>>> >
>>> > Any ideas are welcome since I've more or less ran out of them.
>>> > Mike
>>>
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>
> 


0
Manmeet
11/24/2009 11:24:31 AM
Where can you find this document? DPM2010BetaProtectingHyperV.docx
I have searched Microsoft and cannot find it.

"Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> 
> I went through the error logs. This issue is due to a bug which has been 
> fixed in KB 975354. In order to setup protection on a CSV cluster, there are 
> some pre-requisite settings which are required to be done. These settings 
> are described in the documentation released with DPM 2010 Beta. The HyperV 
> specific document is DPM2010BetaProtectingHyperV.docx. Please refer to the 
> section "Understanding Protection For Cluster Shared Volumes". These steps 
> will have to be followed if you don't have a hardware provider configured 
> which means you will have to serialize your backups per CSV volume. If you 
> have a hardware provider configured then you will need to install KB 975354 
> on your HyperV servers.
> 
> Let me know if you have further questions.
> 
> Thanks
> Manmeet
> 
> -- 
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
> "Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" <manmeetd@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23vYzcUfaKHA.544@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > Yes those are the logs I am interested in. Please include logs from both 
> > the DPM server + the machine on which the VM is running i.e. Server A in 
> > this case.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Manmeet
> >
> > -- 
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
> > "Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
> > message news:119CEB29-73D5-4927-AD42-DE72BD2F84BF@microsoft.com...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The backup wasn't attempted during a Live Migration progress. I worked a 
> >> bit
> >> more on the error and installed a new DPM server running Windows2008R2
> >> instead of the old one that had Windows2008. I did this just to make sure 
> >> it
> >> wasn't something in 2008 that were giving me a hard time. As I did this, 
> >> I
> >> was also able to migrate the DPM guest to the other Hyper-V server (which 
> >> I
> >> couldn't before because I was using pass-through disks). A few trials and 
> >> I
> >> now know that I don't have an issue backing up a VM that's one the same
> >> Hyper-V server as the DPM VM, rather, I have an issue backing up anything
> >> that's on that specific Hyper-V server that I've called ServerA below. I
> >> uninstalled the DPM agent, rebooted the Hyper-V server, manually 
> >> installed
> >> and attached the agent to the DPM server and attempted a new backup of a 
> >> VM
> >> that was residing on the Hyper-V server ServerA, still didn't work.
> >>
> >> Not entirely sure which log files you want me to send from the DPM 
> >> server,
> >> from the Hyper-V server that's having the issue I'm assuming you want the
> >> logfiles from %programfilesdir%\Microsoft Data Protection
> >> Manager\DPM\*.errorlog?
> >>
> >> "Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" wrote:
> >>
> >>> Hi Mike,
> >>>
> >>> If you attempted the backup while the Live Migration was in progress, 
> >>> then
> >>> the backup is supposed to fail. If not, could you zip up the logs both 
> >>> on
> >>> the DPM server and the machine on which the VM's were residing and send 
> >>> them
> >>> to manmeetd @ microsoft . com
> >>>
> >>> Thanks
> >>> Manmeet
> >>>
> >>> -- 
> >>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
> >>> rights
> >>> "Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
> >>> message
> >>> news:878ACACF-0F4C-4F2C-B360-FCA206D999A9@microsoft.com...
> >>> > Hi,
> >>> >
> >>> > I am having some issues with backuping up Hyper-V guests running on a
> >>> > 2-server node and CSV enabled volumes. DPM2010 is running inside a 
> >>> > guest
> >>> > on
> >>> > ServerA and can successfully backup guests that are situated on 
> >>> > ServerB,
> >>> > but
> >>> > as soon as I live-migrate the guest to ServerA, the backup then fails. 
> >>> > If
> >>> > I
> >>> > check the eventlogs, it says the Virtual Disk service and Shadow copy
> >>> > service
> >>> > is starting and then stopping due to timeout after a while. As soon as 
> >>> > I
> >>> > live-migrate the guest back to ServerB and attempt a new backup (or
> >>> > consistency check for that matter) the processes succeeds. In an 
> >>> > attempt
> >>> > to
> >>> > replicate the error, I installed a stand-alone Hyper-V R2 server,
> >>> > installed a
> >>> > guest and installed DPM2010 and tried the same thing, i.e. backing up 
> >>> > a a
> >>> > guest running on the same Hyper-V server that the guest with DPM2010 
> >>> > and
> >>> > this
> >>> > worked hence leaves me to think there is some error with CSV enabled
> >>> > volumes.
> >>> > I tried installing KB975354 however this resulted in other errors and 
> >>> > it
> >>> > didn't resolve the issue, hence I have uninstalled that hotfix. Also, 
> >>> > I
> >>> > have
> >>> > done what the DPM2010 manual says regarding CSV enabled volumes and
> >>> > serialization of backups.
> >>> >
> >>> > As for information I have posted the thread
> >>> > (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=cedaf455-9ea2-4d68-83ee-0b02e0767a28&cat=en_US_d02fc761-3f6b-402c-82f6-ba1a8875c1a7&lang=en&cr=&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1)
> >>> > that seemed to have the same error but after some closer reading it 
> >>> > isn't
> >>> > at
> >>> > all the same issue hence I decided to start a new thread.
> >>> >
> >>> > Any ideas are welcome since I've more or less ran out of them.
> >>> > Mike
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> .
> >>>
> >
> > 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/3/2009 3:59:01 PM
You can download the entire DPM 2010 Beta documentation from the following 
location:

https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?SiteID=840&DownloadID=22070

-- 
Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA
Houston, TX
http://blogs.sivarajan.com/
http://www.sivarajan.com/publications.html

"NetAdmin2k5" <NetAdmin2k5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:3B9359F2-D52F-4299-89FA-3A2B6B3EF895@microsoft.com...
> Where can you find this document? DPM2010BetaProtectingHyperV.docx
> I have searched Microsoft and cannot find it.
>
> "Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> I went through the error logs. This issue is due to a bug which has been
>> fixed in KB 975354. In order to setup protection on a CSV cluster, there 
>> are
>> some pre-requisite settings which are required to be done. These settings
>> are described in the documentation released with DPM 2010 Beta. The 
>> HyperV
>> specific document is DPM2010BetaProtectingHyperV.docx. Please refer to 
>> the
>> section "Understanding Protection For Cluster Shared Volumes". These 
>> steps
>> will have to be followed if you don't have a hardware provider configured
>> which means you will have to serialize your backups per CSV volume. If 
>> you
>> have a hardware provider configured then you will need to install KB 
>> 975354
>> on your HyperV servers.
>>
>> Let me know if you have further questions.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Manmeet
>>
>> -- 
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>> rights
>> "Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" <manmeetd@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23vYzcUfaKHA.544@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> > Yes those are the logs I am interested in. Please include logs from 
>> > both
>> > the DPM server + the machine on which the VM is running i.e. Server A 
>> > in
>> > this case.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Manmeet
>> >
>> > -- 
>> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>> > rights
>> > "Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message news:119CEB29-73D5-4927-AD42-DE72BD2F84BF@microsoft.com...
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> The backup wasn't attempted during a Live Migration progress. I worked 
>> >> a
>> >> bit
>> >> more on the error and installed a new DPM server running Windows2008R2
>> >> instead of the old one that had Windows2008. I did this just to make 
>> >> sure
>> >> it
>> >> wasn't something in 2008 that were giving me a hard time. As I did 
>> >> this,
>> >> I
>> >> was also able to migrate the DPM guest to the other Hyper-V server 
>> >> (which
>> >> I
>> >> couldn't before because I was using pass-through disks). A few trials 
>> >> and
>> >> I
>> >> now know that I don't have an issue backing up a VM that's one the 
>> >> same
>> >> Hyper-V server as the DPM VM, rather, I have an issue backing up 
>> >> anything
>> >> that's on that specific Hyper-V server that I've called ServerA below. 
>> >> I
>> >> uninstalled the DPM agent, rebooted the Hyper-V server, manually
>> >> installed
>> >> and attached the agent to the DPM server and attempted a new backup of 
>> >> a
>> >> VM
>> >> that was residing on the Hyper-V server ServerA, still didn't work.
>> >>
>> >> Not entirely sure which log files you want me to send from the DPM
>> >> server,
>> >> from the Hyper-V server that's having the issue I'm assuming you want 
>> >> the
>> >> logfiles from %programfilesdir%\Microsoft Data Protection
>> >> Manager\DPM\*.errorlog?
>> >>
>> >> "Manmeet Singh Dhody[MSFT]" wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> Hi Mike,
>> >>>
>> >>> If you attempted the backup while the Live Migration was in progress,
>> >>> then
>> >>> the backup is supposed to fail. If not, could you zip up the logs 
>> >>> both
>> >>> on
>> >>> the DPM server and the machine on which the VM's were residing and 
>> >>> send
>> >>> them
>> >>> to manmeetd @ microsoft . com
>> >>>
>> >>> Thanks
>> >>> Manmeet
>> >>>
>> >>> -- 
>> >>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> >>> rights
>> >>> "Mikael Schmidt" <MikaelSchmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> >>> message
>> >>> news:878ACACF-0F4C-4F2C-B360-FCA206D999A9@microsoft.com...
>> >>> > Hi,
>> >>> >
>> >>> > I am having some issues with backuping up Hyper-V guests running on 
>> >>> > a
>> >>> > 2-server node and CSV enabled volumes. DPM2010 is running inside a
>> >>> > guest
>> >>> > on
>> >>> > ServerA and can successfully backup guests that are situated on
>> >>> > ServerB,
>> >>> > but
>> >>> > as soon as I live-migrate the guest to ServerA, the backup then 
>> >>> > fails.
>> >>> > If
>> >>> > I
>> >>> > check the eventlogs, it says the Virtual Disk service and Shadow 
>> >>> > copy
>> >>> > service
>> >>> > is starting and then stopping due to timeout after a while. As soon 
>> >>> > as
>> >>> > I
>> >>> > live-migrate the guest back to ServerB and attempt a new backup (or
>> >>> > consistency check for that matter) the processes succeeds. In an
>> >>> > attempt
>> >>> > to
>> >>> > replicate the error, I installed a stand-alone Hyper-V R2 server,
>> >>> > installed a
>> >>> > guest and installed DPM2010 and tried the same thing, i.e. backing 
>> >>> > up
>> >>> > a a
>> >>> > guest running on the same Hyper-V server that the guest with 
>> >>> > DPM2010
>> >>> > and
>> >>> > this
>> >>> > worked hence leaves me to think there is some error with CSV 
>> >>> > enabled
>> >>> > volumes.
>> >>> > I tried installing KB975354 however this resulted in other errors 
>> >>> > and
>> >>> > it
>> >>> > didn't resolve the issue, hence I have uninstalled that hotfix. 
>> >>> > Also,
>> >>> > I
>> >>> > have
>> >>> > done what the DPM2010 manual says regarding CSV enabled volumes and
>> >>> > serialization of backups.
>> >>> >
>> >>> > As for information I have posted the thread
>> >>> > (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=cedaf455-9ea2-4d68-83ee-0b02e0767a28&cat=en_US_d02fc761-3f6b-402c-82f6-ba1a8875c1a7&lang=en&cr=&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1)
>> >>> > that seemed to have the same error but after some closer reading it
>> >>> > isn't
>> >>> > at
>> >>> > all the same issue hence I decided to start a new thread.
>> >>> >
>> >>> > Any ideas are welcome since I've more or less ran out of them.
>> >>> > Mike
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> .
>> >>>
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> .
>> 
0
Santhosh
12/4/2009 12:52:24 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Backing up a SQL cluster
Hello, I need to add a protection group to back up a SQL cluster. Both SQL server are running Windows 2003 and SQL 2005. It looks like I have to install a patch from MS to back up a 2003 server? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349/ My question is do I install that patch on both SQL machines? Also once I have the patch installed how do I add the SQL cluster to a protection group? Thanks in advance! DC yes, patch both nodes. Install agent on both nodes, then DPM will see the cluster and SQL instance (assuming all goes well) "DC" wrote: > Hello, ...

Apply a Recipient Update Policy to mail enabled groups
Hi, I would like to use a RUP to change the mail address of certain mail enabled groups. So far I've been unsuccesful. Any hints or tips are welcome since information on this subject is hard to find. I'm using Exchange 2000. Thx! Check out http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/POP3SvcE2k3/1c031413-4110-4f76-8e3d-e1a42665d90d.mspx?mfr=true. This article relates to POP3 users, but it should point you in the right direction. Jeff Guillet, MCSE "workinghard@news.postalias" wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to use a RUP to change the mai...

Test Backup of Mailbox Store
I have recently implemented Exchange 2003 Server on Microsoft Windows Server 2003. Am running BackupExec v. 10.1. I only have a few users currently switched over to our Exchange Server, and want to just test the backup before moving the whole organization over to our Exchange Server. I have created a Recovery Storage Group in Exchange System Manager and restored the Mailbox Store to this location. I was told to run ESEUTIL /g to verify the integrity of the store. If the integrity of the store was good this would give me confidence the backup is working. The problem I am running into is I...

CSV import export contacts
I found out, the hard way, that Outlook does not export/import the "File_As" field to CSV or any other format. Can this be changed or worked around ? I now have to make changes on 8,000 or so record's in this field. Any idea or reply, curse, etc.. very appreciated ! The File As field is a derived field. It could never survive an import of any kind. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Victor Matei" <rvf@bebe.moc> wrote in message news:O1ThEMnpEHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I found out, the hard way, that Outlook does not export/import the >"File_A...

Updating CSV files with ADO
Hello, I want to update certain values in about 6000 CSV files. I'd like to do it with ADO but don't know how to. Can someone help me ? TIA Daniel ...

Exchange realtime backup solution
Is there any cost effective backup solution which can duplicate the emails on real time basis? So it can be restored lost emails anytime. with typical backup one can restore previous day backup. Thanks arun Aloha arun, If by "lost" you mean "deleted" then you should be looking at deleted item retention. http://www.google.com/custom?domains=FactPlace.com%3Ben.wikipedia.org&q=Exchange%20Deleted%20Item%20Retention&sitesearch=&client=pub-0112969794113307&forid=1&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&safe=active&cof=GALT%3A%23008000%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%2...

Combining Multiple CSV Files using vba code
I have several csv files all with the same columns of data. The filenames are all in the same format (usage_01_monday.csv usage_01_tuesday.csv, etc.) I would like to combine the csv files into one masterfile, by th number in the filename. Therefore something like usage_01_*.csv need to be used i think. Can anyone help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'd shell to DOS and do it with an old DOS command. Travers to that folder that holds these files: copy usage_*.csv all.csv Then back to excel and import all.csv "davebop <" wrote: > > I have sev...

Exchange Clustering Supported or Not Supported
Can someone please shed some light on this? Seems to be a huge contradiction between MOC, what's out there in the Newsgroups, and what the latest CRM 3.0 Implementation Guide says... I'm interested in finding out why the Microsoft Official Curriculum for CRM 3.0 Course Number 8526 on page 45 indicates that Microsoft Supports Exchange Clustering in an Active/Passive mode. If Microsoft doesn't support this, then why does the MOC say it does? bayareacrm "Matt Parks" wrote: > It's still not supported. It may work though, but if a failover occurs at the &g...

Excel won't open Unicode CSV file from SQL Server
I have a CSV file created by Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio in Unicode (that's all it can do). The file is just some numbers, nothing fancy. But when I attempt to open the CSV file with Excel 2007, all the columns are thrown into the first column. I can manually import the CSV file, through the wizard, tediously navigating to the file, and specifying delimiters, but that's a pain to do over and over again. All I want to do is save a result set in SQL Server and open in in Excel. Is that too much to ask? Kevin kwdavids <kwdav...@gmail.com> wrote... >I have a CSV fil...

Opening a Money backup file in an earlier version
I have a Money backup file created with Money 2002. Is there any way to open it in Money 2000? In microsoft.public.money, Randy Bratton wrote: >I have a Money backup file created with Money 2002. Is >there any way to open it in Money 2000? No. ...

Enable to search PDF attachments in Outlook 2007
Hello, I use to search my Adobe Acrobat attachments, with instant search in outlook 2007, but after buying a new laptop, I have reinstalled everything, and moved the Outlook data file, I am no more able to do that, Please help, Regards Dou Have you re-installed Adobe Acrobat? It provides the Outlook add-on to preview and (I believe) search .PDFs. Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!" KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4 Still Cadillacin' - www.bad...

Changing "Enable multi-threaded calculation" value
I need a way to globally change the Excel 2007 option for using all of the processors for calculations. I have run regmon and filemon and see nothing. Does anyone know of a GPO/ADM/Regkey that will allow me to control this? I want to change the value from "Use all the processors on this computer" to "Manual" I don't know of a registry setting for this. You can set it from VBA and its an application-level setting so would apply to all workbooks. You can control Excel 2007's multithreaded calculation from VBA using Application.MultiThreadedCalculation. App...

Excel 2003 v/s Excel 2007
I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 format which has some data and charts in it. The data is obtained using links to various other workbooks. I am able to see all data in 2003 format, however in excel 2007 format, i am not able to see the data. Is there some problem in excel 2007 with regard to the links (formulae which links to other workbooks)? Urgent, please help me at the earliest. ...

Enable Data Groups to be centrally administrated
Enable the capability to centrally manage the data groups for remote Outlook Laptop. This would include the creation, modifying, or removing of data group definitions along with selective deployment to the remote Outlook Laptop client users. Some of the benefits of having a centrally managed environement for Data Groups would include: Users would not have to be trained on how to define and use their data groups. This would help reduce support resources when troubleshooting a user's issue of missing data. A new user type could have proven data groups deployed to them quiclkly. --...

Exchange 2010 Archive Enabled
Hi, With Exchange 2010 there is the option to enable online archiving for users. These are then available in Exchange WebApp (OWA) and Outlook 2010. I have heard that there is a patch or Service Pack to enable Outlook 2007 to access the online archive. Is this so? If so, what article describes this? Regards ...

Enable Conditional Formatting Access 2007
I think I have to use VBA - how do I enable the conditional formatting property? Here's a non-VBA solution (to get a feel for it): http://datapigtechnologies.com/flashfiles/accesscondformatting1.html Here's a VBA solution: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa139965%28office.10%29.aspx It's NOT hard at all. Just follow the steps. -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "CC" wrote: > I think I have to use VBA - how do I enable the conditional formatting > property? ...

personal backup files
I am trying to export Outlook backup files (.pst) to my desktop so that I can then save them on CD. When I go to open them, a message says this is not a vaild WIN32 application. Am I doing something wrong in the process? Neil Dubin Don't export but simply copy your pst-file to a CD when Outlook is closed. When you want to restore it copy it back to your harddisk and remove the "Read Only" file attribute. Then connect to it by using File-> Open-> Outlook Data File. For more info see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-O...

DHCPServer Event ID: 1017 & 1010 during backup
I have got two errors during backup. Chcaking C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp SYSTEM has got full perimssions to a folder. Any idea ? Event Type: Error Event Source: DhcpServer Event Category: None Event ID: 1017 Date: 24/05/2010 Time: 21:23:55 User: N/A Computer: TITAN Description: The DHCP service encountered the following error when backing up the registry configuration: Access is denied. Event Type: Error Event Source: DhcpServer Event Category: None Event ID: 1010 Date: 24/05/2010 Time: 21:23:56 User: N/A Computer: TITAN Description: The DHCP s...

Question about .csv format
I download free historical data from Yahoo finance for stock tickers that are save by default ino a .csv format. I purchased some stock analysis software that reads the data saved, which must be in comma delimited format. I've been getting error messages i.e. "bad data format" when trying to get the software to read the file downloaded from Yahoo. I called the manufacturer, and he told me to save the data in an .msdoscsv format. Or maybe he meant ms-dos .csv format. I never heard of that. Does anyone know anything about this format and how I should save the downloaded dat...

Enable HTTPS/SSL OWA Exchange 2000 cluster #2
I am trying to enable https for owa on an exchange 2000 cluster. I am not sure what is happening but basically the page never opens, I get no errors in the event logs or on the page, the page just reads can not be displayed. On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:44:02 -0700, "jason" <jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to enable https for owa on an exchange 2000 cluster. > >I am not sure what is happening but basically the page never opens, I get no >errors in the event logs or on the page, the page just reads can not be >displayed. Don't expose...

save as worksheets as csv files
Hello, Currently have 2 or 3 excel 2002 worksheets which are saved manually as csv files - using save as for each active sheet. OK so far, but how to do this programatically - for all the worksheets in the xls file? A macro perhaps? That is question 1. But as the results of this save as are fed into a perl script, and then into a database. I was also wondering if any macro could be invoked from perl? Ta for any advice, pointers to fine manuals etc... Tony #1 only: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim newWks As Worksheet For Each wks In activeworkbook.w...

Want to backup Win2008 R2 Hyper-V Guest machine to DPM2007
[ Environment ] DPM Server: Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 x64 Hyper-V Physical machine: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Hyper-V Guest machine: Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 x86 [ Patches applied ] [-- DPM Server --] - WindowsServer2003 KB926140 - WindowsServer2003 KB934016 - WindowsServer2003 KB940349 - WindowsServer2003 KB967551 - WindowsServer2003 KB968447 - WindowsServer2003 KB969219 - DataProtectionManager2007- KB949779 - DataProtectionManager2007- KB954641 - DataProtectionManager2007- KB959605 - DataProtectionManager2007- KB961502 - DataProtectionManager2007- KB963102 - DataProtec...

Mail-Enabled User Not Appearing in GAL
Hey folks. Strange query.. using Win2K3Ent and Exch2k3Ent, with latest SPs and hotfixes installed on both. Trying to create a mail-enabled user (giving impression of internal user actually aliased to an external SMTP address). I'm under the impression (confirmed by checking 70-284) that a mail-enabled user should appear in the GAL after a short while, and be available for clients such as Outlook to select directly (yet be aliased at the postoffice level). No matter what I try, I cannot get the user to appear in the GAL. Using ExchSysMgr, if I query the GAL, the user appears happ...

Backup Exec 9.1. Where is public folder backup located?
Hi All, Using BackUp Exec 9.1 SP1 on an SBS2k Server. I was reviewing my backup selections in a new installation of BE and noticed that under the selection "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders" I only see "Internet Newsgroups." Where is my public calendar? But I see the "Public Folder Store" under "Microsoft Information Store" > "First Storage Group". In addition, I also see the "Mailbox Store" under the same group of "Microsoft Information Store" > "First Storage Group". Is this by design? Has it always be...

Backup messages predicament
A friend asked me to put a fresh install of XP on her windows 2K system. Her only request is to backup her emails from Outlook 2K. Her box had been configured to login to a domain, even though there was no domain controller where it was located. The first thing I did was change from logging in to a domain to a workgroup so, I could backup some files to my network. But, after doing this, I could not login under the domain profile into which Outlook was installed. So, at this point, I can login as the Administrator and other accounts, none of which can even open Outlook. There is no .pst f...