Backing up server in another forest (with trust)

I have DPM 2007 with Service Pack1.

I am trying to backup data from a server that is in a domain in a different
forest from the one that holds the DPM server.

ForestA.com - has DPM-01 server as a member of the root domain
ForestB.com - has the server FS-01 to be backed up as a member of the root
domain.

All servers on the network are Windows Server 2008.

There is a trust relationship between the two forests.

The good news is that we got the backups to work, however the problem is
that they fail after a while and we get an "access denied" error from the
DPMRA service in the application log of FS-01.

Has anyone got the above type of multi-forest set up to work and did you
encounter any similar errors or have any general advice on what I can check.

Many thanks for any help and advice

Peter

Hi,
Can you paste the complete event for us? Also, can you send us the detailed
failure from the alert that appears in the DPM UI?

thanks,
Prashant

--
Prashant

"aredtype" <aredtype@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have DPM 2007 with Service Pack1.
>
> I am trying to backup data from a server that is in a domain in a
> different
> forest from the one that holds the DPM server.
>
> ForestA.com - has DPM-01 server as a member of the root domain
> ForestB.com - has the server FS-01 to be backed up as a member of the root
> domain.
>
> All servers on the network are Windows Server 2008.
>
> There is a trust relationship between the two forests.
>
> The good news is that we got the backups to work, however the problem is
> that they fail after a while and we get an "access denied" error from the
> DPMRA service in the application log of FS-01.
>
> Has anyone got the above type of multi-forest set up to work and did you
> encounter any similar errors or have any general advice on what I can
> check.
>
> Many thanks for any help and advice
>
> Peter

0
Prashant
2/26/2010 5:23:38 AM
Hi Prashant,

Thanks for replying.

Here is the error from the file server FS-01:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        DPMRA
Date:          2/24/2010 4:21:52 PM
Event ID:      84
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
A DPM agent failed to communicate with the DPM service on DPM-01.forestA.com
because access is denied. Make sure that DPM-01.forestA.com has DCOM launch
and access permissions for the computer running the DPM agent (Error code:
0x80070005, full name: DPM-01.forestA.com).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="DPMRA" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">84</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <EventRecordID>6732</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>FS-01.ad.forestB.com</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>DPM-01.forestA.com</Data>
    <Data>0x80070005</Data>
    <Data>DPM-01.forestA.com</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

And here is the error from the DPM console:

Replica path: Click to view details
Latest recovery point: 2/25/2010 12:00:15 AM
Oldest recovery point: 1/6/2010 5:41:38 PM
Total recovery points: 6
Disk allocation: Replica volume: 25.50 GB allocated, 9.30 GB used | Recovery
point volume: 6.67 GB allocated, 5.99 GB used

Thanks!
Peter

And here is the detailed error from the Monitoring tab of the DPM console:

Affected area: FS-01.ad.forestB.com
Occurred since: 2/25/2010 12:35:33 AM
contacted. Subsequent protection activities for this computer may fail if the
connection is not established. The attempted contact failed for the following
reason: (ID 3122)
 The protection agent operation on FS-01.ad.forestB.com failed because the
service did not respond. (ID 316 Details: Internal error code: 0x8099090E)
Recommended action: If you recently installed a protection agent on
FS-01.ad.forestB.com, the computer may be restarting. Wait a few minutes
after restarting the computer for the protection agent to become available.
Otherwise, troubleshoot the problem as follows:
1) Check the recent records from the DPMRA source in the Application Event
Log on FS-01.ad.forestB.com to find out why the agent failed to respond.
2) Verify that the DPM server is remotely accessible from
FS-01.ad.forestB.com.
3) If a firewall is enabled on the DPM server, verify that it is not
blocking requests from FS-01.ad.forestB.com.
4) Restart the DPM Protection Agent service on FS-01.ad.forestB.com. If the
service fails to start, reinstall the DPM protection agent.
 On the Agents tab in the Management task area, check the status of the agent.
Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
 Inactivate alert

Thanks for the details.

It seems that the agent is getting a DCOM access denied error when it tries
to talk back to the DPM server.

1. Can you check if the trust level between the forests is at "Full trust"
and not "External" or other values?
2. Can you check the DPM server for any errors in the event logs about the
same time that the event log on the FS-01 machine occurs?

Regards,

> And here is the detailed error from the Monitoring tab of the DPM console:
>
> Affected area: FS-01.ad.forestB.com
> Occurred since: 2/25/2010 12:35:33 AM
> contacted. Subsequent protection activities for this computer may fail if
> the
> connection is not established. The attempted contact failed for the
> following
> reason: (ID 3122)
> The protection agent operation on FS-01.ad.forestB.com failed because the
> service did not respond. (ID 316 Details: Internal error code: 0x8099090E)
> Recommended action: If you recently installed a protection agent on
> FS-01.ad.forestB.com, the computer may be restarting. Wait a few minutes
> after restarting the computer for the protection agent to become
> available.
> Otherwise, troubleshoot the problem as follows:
> 1) Check the recent records from the DPMRA source in the Application Event
> Log on FS-01.ad.forestB.com to find out why the agent failed to respond.
> 2) Verify that the DPM server is remotely accessible from
> FS-01.ad.forestB.com.
> 3) If a firewall is enabled on the DPM server, verify that it is not
> blocking requests from FS-01.ad.forestB.com.
> 4) Restart the DPM Protection Agent service on FS-01.ad.forestB.com. If
> the
> service fails to start, reinstall the DPM protection agent.
> On the Agents tab in the Management task area, check the status of the
> agent.
> Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
> Inactivate alert

0
Prashant
3/2/2010 3:45:14 PM
Prashant,

1.  Yes, the trust is a full 2-way transitive forest trust.
2.  There is nothing in the event logs on the DPM server that corresponds to
the time of the error on the FS-01 machine.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Peter

Get pointer to parent of parent (2 levels back)
My application is dialog-based. The App creates a dialog. The dialog creates a property sheet. The property sheet creates 4 property pages. The dialog opens a file. I want the property pages to be able to write to the file. How can I get access back to that file pointer? I found m_pParentWnd in the Property Page. But, I can't go back like this m_pParentWnd->m_pParentWnd to get two levels back. I thought about passing the pointer to the CFile in via the contructors of the dialog, then to the sheet, then to the pages but I am not sure how to do that either. Any help is greatly app...

Getting HTML back out of XML
I'm having a hell of a time figuring this out. ;o) OK, thanks to Oleg, I finally figured out how to get XHTML in my XML by using writeRaw to get it to not encode the XHTML going in. However, I can't get it back out. I'm transforming my XML using XSLT: Dim trasformedXML As New System.IO.StringWriter xslt.Transform(doc, Nothing, trasformedXML, Nothing) lbl_rulesText.Text = trasformedXML.ToString The element that also has XHTML in it is transformed SANS the HTML tags. <xsl:value-of select="text" /> That's returning the text of the node, but none of the HTML ...

Newly migrated clients still dependent on old server?
Greetings all. Last week I migrated a client from a single NT 4 domain controller that was also running Exchange 5.5 to a single 2003 AD DC that is also running Exchange 2003 SP1. I used the ADMT to migrated users, with SIDHistory. User and data migration went off without a hitch. The Exchange migration did not go so smoothly, in part because this was my first one. I initially tried to use the Migration Wizard, which failed. I then installed the Active Directory Connector on the 2003 machine and configured a connection...still no joy. Finally I resorted to using Exmerge to export/import, ...

Backing up Notes in Outlook
I found the toy that transfers Notes in Outlook to OneNote. Is there any other way to back up one's notes other than making a backup of the outlook.pst file? thank you for any help or suggestions Jerry "jer&liz" <jerliz@home> wrote in message news:eQBTNYi8HHA.5404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I found the toy that transfers Notes in Outlook to OneNote. Is there any >other way to back up one's notes other than making a backup of the >outlook.pst file? No, not unless you're using an Exchange Server. Well, you could manually copy the notes to a diff...

Need some assistance with Migrating Project Server 2007
Hello All. Here is my current problem. We are looking to migrate our current Project Server 2007 setup to a new server in a new domain. Of cource we want to be able to do some testing first so that is where my problem is. My current setup is a single server setup. Project Server 2007, WSS 3.0, and the Database (SQL 2005) all on one server. Our new setup will be Project Server with MOSS 2007 on one server and the Database on a different server. Now what our admins have done is backup our WSS_Content database, and the 4 databases from one of our PWA sites. We moved them o...

Insert another domain in exchange 5.5
Hello, I have a domain (domain-A) set in my exchange server 5.5, everything It is OK, now I have to set another domain (domain-B) in the same exchange server, so the user bill will have to smtp accounts. bill@domain-A.com.cc bill@domain-B.com.cc (default replay) The configuratios of DNS and Firewall are OK, how can I have two domains in the same exchange server 5.5 ? regards, silva, cleiton sao paulo brazil http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_sec3.htm Cleiton Silva wrote: > Hello, > > I have a domain (domain-A) set in my exchange server 5.5, > everything It is OK, n...

E-Mailing From Exchange Server to Exchange Server with same Subnet
I have a unique situation that has created a problem for me. I am an IT Consultant for a company that is owned by 5 partners. These five partners have recently had a bad break up with three going one direction and two going another. The two have retained me as their IT person but the other three have hired another IT Company. The two groups are dividing the network but want to stay on the same IP subnet because there are still certain things they need to share off of my Server. Each group has purchased new Windows 2003 SBS Servers, their own Internet Connections and Firewalls, and ...

Auditing: Reason for Access feature in Windows Server 2008 R2
How can we test this feature in action? I have enabled auditing for file shares and set SACL for a group. I have created sub folders and files in that shared folder, however i do not get any reason for access data in the logs. My expectation is to see some message like, XYZ has created a file/folder by virtue of he being a member of ABC group. Is that not what is expected? Is there any additional config that needs to be done? ...

How to get BCC line back into my email as a default
I have just reinstalled my O/S (2000 Pro) and lost a lot of my settings. I can't find out how to get the BCC line back into my email format and I would like that set as the default for all my email correspondence. Also am unsure how to put a VCard signature into my email - had it all set up before, but can't remember how I did it. Thanks! MuckyBeast <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have just reinstalled my O/S (2000 Pro) and lost a lot > of my settings. I can't find out how to get the BCC line > back into my email format and I would like tha...

Emptying Cache on Exchange Server
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I find myself having to empty the cache from my inbox folder every few weeks now. All of a sudden today I couldnt receive new emails and it tells me to empty cache. It worked fine all morning then just stopped this afternoon. It takes 5-6 hours to fully re-load all the emails in my inbox so this is becoming a huge burden. Does anyone know why this would be happening. I'm connected to my company's exchange server. <br><br>Thanks On 2/25/10 12:45 PM, Sean4510@officefor...

wondering what happens if you host mailboxes on a FE server
I know that ..."A front-end server must not host any users or public folders" But what happens if it does? What is the result of hosting mailboxes on a E2K3 server that is marked as a front-end server? Will the server break? Will the mailboxes be reachable by Outlook or other exchange servers? Will the FE server continue to work but the mailboxes hosted on that server will be useless? What happens? Ken From KB 273296: "All HTTP, POP3, and IMAP4 requests to a front-end server are proxied to the appropriate back-end server, and thus cannot access local mailboxes. Messag...

Hiding internal Exchange server IP/name
We have an internal Exchange server (2003) that resides on an internal IP address. The server communicates to a FreeBSD server in the DMZ running Sendmail. To send emails to the Internet we have configured a routing group to relay mail to the server in the DMZ (there is another option of using a Smarthost, but I have not tried this). The configuration works for sending and receiving emails. One side effect is that when Exchange relays mail to the DMZ its internal IP address is included in the mail header (as part of rfc822). For security reasons it would be preferred to not expose this...

Leaving mail on server
I have upgraded Outlook to 2003. In Outlook 2002 there was a setting to leave mail on the server for a certin period of time. I can'y find this feature in 2003. It it there? Thanks Tools->Email Accounts->View or Change->Highlight your account->Change->More Settings->Advanced. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Richard <richard@raymondsboats.com> asked: | I have upgraded Outlook to 2003. In Outlook 2002 there was a setting | to leave mail on the s...

Find a vlaue, shade another cell
I would like to search column c in an excel sheet for any number that starts with '46'. all the numbers in the column will be 7 digits long (eg. 4634567) once found I would like to turn the font blue in the cell 10 columns to the right of this 46 cell. the macro should loop down column c until it can find no further values. any ideas if this is possible? Hi, Try this Sub Sonic() lastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row Set MyRange = Range("C1:C" & lastRow) For Each c In MyRange If Left(c.Value, 2) = "46" Then ...

Messages not reaching recipients or bouncing back
1 user has found this week that all mail she has sent have simply disappeared! Emails sent to a variety of destination email addresses - no bouncebacks, but none have been received. We investigated & found this to be true. Test messages are definitely leaving our server, and at least arriving at the mail server that we forward to (though they have not been able to confirm that they have left that server). This is what we've tried so far:- 1) We virus-checked the user's PC - none found - virus definitions up to date & we have good firewall + rules to prevent users rec...

back up restore
Hi- I have made back up, how do i restore (rms1.2)? thanks in SO Administrator, Database/Create This creates a new DB instance from your backup file. You will either have to choose a different DB name than the existing database, or DROP the database by using Query/New first. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information "bh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Exchange Server in Child Domain?
Hi, I am rather new on W2K/Exchange and need some help. I have one branch office with a W2K3 domain called ABC.com which is a part of the company's forest. In ABC.com there is one Exchange Server 2003 running, with administrative group called AG-ABC which is part of Company's Exchange Organization. There is one business unit that will be joined to the AD of that branch office. For some reasons, I want to create a child domain for this business unit, Unit1.ABC.com. My questions are: 1. Will members of Domain Admins group of ABC.com have full access on the child domain's resource...

The Project Server Database is unavailable
Hello, This is my first time to post a question in this forum. So I will apologise in advance if I don't detail my question correctly. I will do my best. I am very desperate for help. My Company has Project Server 2003 ERM Solution. I have two users that have suddenly are getting an error message when they log in to Terminal Server to run Project 2003 with their Windows Network ID's that "The Project Server Database is unavailable:" You can't access the Database for one of the following reasons": There is a problem with the enterprise global template in...

can exchange 2003 configure for multiple forest?
Hello, can I configure an exchange server 2003 for multiple forest user accounts? Thanks for your help, Hunter ...

backing up to cd #3
I'm trying to back-up my Microsoft Money file to a CD. However whenever I try it I get the message "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission." (I am the owner). I am using Money 98. PLEASE HELP! I don't wan't to lose this information when I plug in my new upgraded computer, so I have to save the file. Terri. In microsoft.public.money, Terri Benshoof wrote: >I'm trying to back-up my Microsoft Money file to a CD. >However whenever I try it I get the message "You ...

Outlook 03 can't resolve name on Exchange Server 4.0
When I try to connect the Outlook 03 client to the Exchange Server 4.0 I get an Microsoft Office Outlook message box that says "The action could not be completed. The selection specification is too complex. Use fewer or less complex restrictions." This is a small business that only uses the Exchange Server 4.0 for internal e-mail for six clients and they don't want to spend anymore money to upgrade the Exchange Server which works fine on all the other client computers. Thanks for your help! On Wed, 17 May 2006 07:04:01 -0700, JamieP <JamieP@discussions.microsoft.com>...

External Mail Wont Send Out From New Server
Hello all, We are performing a swing migration to new hardware. The original server is win2003 with exchange 2003 sp2. The new server is win2003 with exchange 2003 sp2 as well. I also have another temp server configured as a front-end with win2003, exchange 2003 and sp2. I installed the new replacement server into same org and it shows in the admin console. I am able to move mailboxes from the original server to this new server and receive incoming mail both internal and external after homing the mailboxes on the new server but when I try and send email to an external address from an...

Copying a worksheet from a workbook to another
I copied a worksheet from one workbook to another workbook and in the process I lose the print setup of the original worksheet. The original sheet no longers fits perfectly on an 8.5 X 11 paper. The sides of the sheet is chopped off. However, I noticed that the column widths for both sheets are exactly alike. How can this be explained if the column widths are identical yet the copied version does not retain the perfect print setup? Did you copy the entire worksheet using the Edit-->Move or Copy Sheet command? If you simply selected and copied all of the cells on the source s...

SBS4.5 crashed a while back!!
We have been asked to get involved with retrieving some emails from a EDB backup. The situation is: Server was SBS4.5 running Exchange 5.5. We have the PRIV.EDB and PUB.EDB, but we do not know what the site, organisation names etc. were. Are there any tools that can extract this information for us - we are hoping (and praying!!) to be able to install Exchange 5.5. with the correct details and then restore the EDB files and do a isinteg -patch and see if that gets us going. Any advice greatly appreciated. There are a few pre-requists here. Org name, Site name and Service pack level for...

Exchange 2003 "message was rejected due to the current administrative policy by the destination server" #2
Hi!! Do any of you guys have and idea what this message means? This message was rejected due to the current administrative policy by the destination server. Please retry at a later time. If that fails, contact your system administrator. I have 2 x 2003 servers in the same admistrative group, cant send an emial between them, they get stuck in a queue on the opposite server. Can email out to externasl addresses fine, and recieve fine, just hot between the 2 servers in the sa,e administrative group Cheers John ...