Xcel or Access sort columns of names so that I remove the intersect between 2 columns from one of the columns?

Hi,

I have currently in Xcel and long list of X English phrases in one
column with associated numerical data about each name in adjoining
columns.

I have on another workbook (which could of course be pasted into this
workbook)another similarly set out column of Y English phrases again
with ajoining columns having numberical data row that the phrase.

I would like to be able to sort the second column of phrases removing
all the phrases that occured in the first column. Ideally it would be
great to have the numerical data for the remaining English phrases
still on the same rows (not necessary though)

In math terminology I want to find:
(Remaining phrases)=(Y English Phrases)-(X English Phrases)

The data is currently in Xcel. How would I do this? Would I be better
off in Access or doing it by hand and eye?
0
wrreisen
12/18/2003 9:01:44 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

If I were doing it from Access, I'd do a File/GetExternalDatabase/Link
(or import if you wanted to make a table), select the file, then select
the worksheet.  Then do that for the next worksheet.  You now have 2
tables you can use to compare.  Create a query via the New button.  You
can select records that match via Design view.  You can also create find
unmatched record queries between the two tables.  If you link them, if
you delete or change in Access, the records will be updated in Excel.  If
you make tables via importing, then your data in Excel will not be
updated.

"William.R.Reisen" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have currently in Xcel and long list of X English phrases in one
> column with associated numerical data about each name in adjoining
> columns.
>
> I have on another workbook (which could of course be pasted into this
> workbook)another similarly set out column of Y English phrases again
> with ajoining columns having numberical data row that the phrase.
>
> I would like to be able to sort the second column of phrases removing
> all the phrases that occured in the first column. Ideally it would be
> great to have the numerical data for the remaining English phrases
> still on the same rows (not necessary though)
>
> In math terminology I want to find:
> (Remaining phrases)=(Y English Phrases)-(X English Phrases)
>
> The data is currently in Xcel. How would I do this? Would I be better
> off in Access or doing it by hand and eye?

0
Salad

inserting xcel worksheet
I have an xcel worksheet I would like to import into a power point presentation. There are a couple different colors used in the text of the worksheet. Is it possible to import the xcel worksheet WITH the colors? Thanks Copy the text from the Worksheet, then choose paste special from the Home tab on the ribbon or Edit, Paste Special if you have an earlier version of Excel. Paste the selection as a picture to retain the look of your worksheet. -- Best regards Malin D Office consultant/Trainer "Stacia" wrote: > I have an xcel worksheet I would like to i...

Removing a CDockable Pane
This is an update to my previous thread "Dynamically creating CDockablePanes" What I want to do is to Create multiple CDockablePane(CDP) that will be destroyed when the user clicks the "X" Button. While it may seem trivial, I have ran into some hiccups When the CDP is docked, clicking the X will trigger an event that can be caught by DockablePane::OnPressCloseButton(). From there, I can then PostMessage(WM_CLOSE); and my CDP will be destroyed correctly The problem is that when you undock the CDP, MFC creates a MiniFrame and places your CDP inside it. Now when t...

One Parameter open multiple Reports
I am trying to write a VB macro that will allow me to open up several reports under one parameter. For example I have 7 Reports, where the primary Key is ProjectNumber, I want to be able to click a button and have a pop-up box asking the user to enter a project number. I then want to take that value and apply to each of the 7 reports, having each report open in print preview. Where the only record in each report is equal to that of the project number enter by the user. I know that I could base this on a query parameter for each report; however then the user would have to enter the project nu...

Troubleshooting Access Forms
I'm not sure what I did, but I've lost the ability to add new records to a form in Access 2003. I can go into a Table and add the record, but not directly through the form. The form's source is a Query that is run from the aforementioned Table. Any ideas? "capricorny" <capricorny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46DD8147-BBFA-4B76-A317-8BF8CA4F2280@microsoft.com... > I'm not sure what I did, but I've lost the ability to add new records to a > form in Access 2003. > > I can go into a Table and add the record, but not directl...

where is publisher? #2
I just upgraded to Office XP, due to a system crash. Unfortunately, Publisher is not included. Can you install it from the Office 2000 pack or is there an upgrade available? I don't want to buy a whole new version, since I had already paid for the 2000 version. Cefoxtrot wrote: > I just upgraded to Office XP, due to a system crash. Unfortunately, Publisher > is not included. Can you install it from the Office 2000 pack or is there an > upgrade available? I don't want to buy a whole new version, since I had > already paid for the 2000 version. The only version avai...

clipart #2
I am unable to download any clip art off the new microsoft office web site. When I right click there is no "copy" option for me. I can't download to the clip gallery either. Please help. I had no problem last week with the old site. Jeanne wrote: > I am unable to download any clip art off the new microsoft > office web site. When I right click there is no "copy" > option for me. I can't download to the clip gallery > either. Please help. I had no problem last week with the > old site. Please read the responses to your other post - whic...

CRM Internet AccesS
Hui friends... I need ur help plz.... We have an installation of MBSCRM on a server in our LAN, we access to this throw IP , I realize some developments by means of the SDK, but some tests need to open the server to Internet to be able to access from house to the developments, the functioning of the CRM is perfect and my application also, hitherto every ok. The problem is when once opened for Internet, the CRM works correctly but my application develop not. I have placed the IP of the WebServer, to access to the API of MBSCRM, in the web.config of my application and not directly in th...

Set Named Range with Last Row
I'm trying to create a Named Range called "DataRange" based on my values as listed in LISTING 1. For example, "DataRange" would currently be B2:B10. The trick to my problem is I will be inserting a row after Row 1 with code, thus shifting "DataRange" to B3:B11 for example. The other issue is I need the Named Range starting at B2 to the last row in Column B where data exists in Column A. To clarify, in LISTING 1 there is no data in B10, but there is data in A10. I will always need to get the last data row in Column A and then create the Named Range from ...

Exchange 2003 - SchedulePlusFreeBusy Folder
Hello, I am running exchange 2003 SP1 (new server, no upgrades) and I am recieving the following messaage: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeFBPublish Event Category: General Event ID: 8275 Date: 8/23/2004 Time: 2:01:07 AM User: N/A Computer: PG-ADR-EXCH-03 Description: SchedulePlusFreeBusy folder could not be opened for duplicate message deletion on virtual machine PG-ADR-EXCH-03. The error number is 0x80040115. I have looked everywhere and cannot find any information. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Paul. ...

User access to views?
Some of my CRM users are getting frustrated with the inability to get to the data. They are Excel power users, and I'm thinking the best solution may be to just create some views (that link the picklist fields to stringmap, so they get the text values), and give them SELECT only access to these views through MS Data Query. They can then directly import the data into Excel and do whatever they want. It's outside of the CRM GUI, but they really don't care. Has anybody done this before? Does anybody have any comments about this suggested approach? Thanks, Dave Can yo...

Logging users accessing a spreadsheet
Looking for a way to log (on a sheet within a workbook) all users that access the spreadsheet and when. Is this possible using wither VBA or other method? Many thanks. DT Do the users have access to a share that they can write to? If yes, you could have a macro that adds a line to a tab delimited text file when they open the file (macros must be enabled, though). Rightclick on the excel icon to the left of the File option (on the worksheet menubar). Select view code and paste this into the code window: Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim LogDir As String Dim LogF...

Row and Column Labels
How do I change the font in the row and columns? The A, B, C, etc. and the 1, 2, 3, etc. Can you do this? The font used in the borders is the one set for the Normal style under Format, Styles for that workbook. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Thanks a ton. That solved my problem. >-----Original Message----- >The font used in the borders is the one set for the Normal style under >Format, Styles for that workbook. > >-- >Jim Rech >Excel MVP > > >. > format=>Styles for the normal style, choose modify and then the font tab. Select the font you want. -- Reg...

way to check if com addin is available before starting outlook and making sure user does not remove it?
for security reasons I need to make certain outlook does not start without com addin and that user does not try to unload it from outlook. Ideas? You can write code to check the COMAddins collection for your COMAddin object of interest and then check the .Connect Boolean property of that COMAddin object. The COM addin can also use the On_Disconnection event and see which method was used to disconnect the addin. If RemoveMode = ext_dm_UserClosed then the user disconnected the addin. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Lead Author, Professional Outlook 2000 Programming,...

Accessing bookmarks in Word from Access
I have developed some code in a 'test' database to go through the bookmarks in a Word document and process the content. This code compiles/works successfully. When I copy/paste the code into the application that I want to use it in, I get a compile error of variable not defined and the word "FormField" is highlighted in the code below. I have checked the References used in both databases and they match. Does anyone have any ideas on what else could be wrong? For Each FormField In myWordDoc.Bookmarks On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:25:02 -0800, Rose B <RoseB@d...

Removing inactive items from matrix
I run a wine company and different vintages (years) of wine typically share a same UPC code. So we've set up matrices where a UPC code is scanned, and we use matrix functionality to specify which vintage we are selling; it is not uncommon at all for multiple vintages to be available at any given time. My problem is when a vintage completely sells out, I can mark the item inactive, yet the sold-out product still shows up as an option when I scan the UPC of a newer vintage of the same product. I have probably hundreds of these to deal with. I know I can manually go in and remove th...

Tape Symbolic Name
I have three tape drives w/ symbolic names of tape0, tape1, and tape2. While running in a linux environment, there is no problem, but when running in WinXP, windows switches the symbolic names around, which ruins a tape read program I use. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks Jeremiah Thoman by the way, this is written in VC++ 2003 .Net ...

problems with hyperlinks to Xcel docs #2
Just realised I didn't say where the problem occurs: in excel ...

Xcel
I've seemed to lose by xcel capabilities... The icon is there on my desktop, but when i click on it ~ it automtically runs windows installer... I think i have deleted the software... I have no disk to re-trieve ~ Came with the computer ~ What can i do? Consider a Search or Find of your HD for Excel.exe. If no results, you may need to acquire another copy. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays <hairyqueenbee@comcast.net> wrote in message news:04f401c3d4c7$64d61d00$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I've seemed to lose by xcel capabilities... The icon is &g...

Change file name from folder using VBA
Hi All - Please, can anyone help to write a coding for changing the filenames (all format) from a folder. i.e, I am having 2 files in C:\ C:\test.xls C:\test1.pdf Can we change these file names using VBA (Excel) as - C:\changed.xls C:\changed1.pdf Thanks a lot in advance. Ratheesh I did a search for "vba rename file" and got several promising hits. --JP On Nov 18, 10:17=A0am, Ratheesh <ratheesh.ramachandh...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All - > > Please, can anyone help to write a coding for changing the filenames > (all format) from a fo...

Importing TXT files #2
Hi I have to import a lot of TXT files that have the same layout, When I open the TXT file in Excel, every time I have to set the wide of the columns and all other settings. There is a way to tell Excel that the file have a defined pattern? TVM and greetings to all Alvaro -- anthropomorfic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ anthropomorfic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31382 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=519474 You could record a macro when you do it once. Then ...

Intermittent fault when using outlook web access
This fault is intermittent and occures when we try and access our e-mails across the internet using the outlook web access. Most of the time there is no problem, then another time we cannot gain access to the exchange server. The most recent happened today. Everything was fine yesterday, we restarted the server where we tried dialing in from this morning and now we cannot access E-mail. All the exchange services are running on both servers. Any ideas? Try posting to an Exchange group as Outlook Web Access is a function of Exchange, not Outlook. microsoft.public.exchange.admin i...

How do I make first row sort in table
I am trying to sort a spread sheet and the first two rows won't. Hi, insert a blank row at the top and then sort "Annette Glenn" wrote: > I am trying to sort a spread sheet and the first two rows won't. Annette Glenn wrote: > I am trying to sort a spread sheet and the first two rows won't. How are you trying to sort? ...

graph on microsoft access
Hi In my form, i've included graph that will correspond to the combo box The problem is that when other user open the form on their respective laptop, the graph change (in particular on bar graph and x axis) It works well on my laptop inregardless where the file being stored i.e on common server, external drive but no when other user open it Any idea what went wrong? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/201005/1 ...

how do you add a new number to each cell in a column
for instance in column c from row 5 to row 455 I want to add .27 to every number that is already in each cell example c5 has 9.09 already in it, I want to add .27 for a new total of 9.36 I then want to copy that formula so that it does the same thing all the way to c455 Hi JCE, Select a Cell and Type =C5+0.27 where C stands for column and 5 stands for row drag the active cell downward to see the next row result then you may copy the formula to other worksheets or cells buy using copy and specialpaste. Hope this helps. "JCE" wrote: > for instance in column c from row 5 ...

Access Problem Installing XP Pro SP3
I have an Acer Desktop running XP Pro SP2. I have tried to install SP3 both by download and MS CD. The install runs into access problems during the backup file/reg segments. I do not know if access to the file/reg or the backup location is the problem. Eventually the Install fails and everything is set back to the pre install position. I am the only user on this home desktop so I don't know where or what access to set. I am running MSE, Spybot, and Sygate Personal Firewall. In addition I have a similar problem trying to install IE8. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Th...