Workflow to email prior Owner as well as current?

Hi all,

Our sales folks are experiencing a "magic trick" with Accounts - that is,
due to a fast-paced company environment, we often have accounts that
"disappear" from one salesperson's ownership and get reassigned and
"reappear" for the new salesperson to own.

I can build the workflow to assign a new Account Owner when they are
assigned to the account, but I also want to email the PREVIOUS owner that
they lost the account.  I've searched the MBS forum and also taken several
swings myself, but no luck.  Any suggestions for how I could email the prior
record?  Thanks! -- Chris
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Microsoft CRM does not track the previous owner UNLESS the previous owner
was the one who created the record in which case they will be listed in the
createdby field. It sounds like you need an auditing solution - search for
one called VAST which may help

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"Chris S" <ChrisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Our sales folks are experiencing a "magic trick" with Accounts - that is,
> due to a fast-paced company environment, we often have accounts that
> "disappear" from one salesperson's ownership and get reassigned and
> "reappear" for the new salesperson to own.
>
> I can build the workflow to assign a new Account Owner when they are
> assigned to the account, but I also want to email the PREVIOUS owner that
> they lost the account.  I've searched the MBS forum and also taken several
> swings myself, but no luck.  Any suggestions for how I could email the
prior
> record?  Thanks! -- Chris

0
John
4/7/2005 2:12:12 AM
Thanks for the quick and helpful response, John.  Unfortunately, that's what
I was afraid of, and it's probably not going to be worth the time/effort/cost
to go down the VAST path. :-(  Hopefully MS CRM will have audit trail
capabilities at some point - at the very least, "Last Updated" and "Last
Updated By" fields.  Anyway, thanks for the info!

Chris

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> Microsoft CRM does not track the previous owner UNLESS the previous owner
> was the one who created the record in which case they will be listed in the
> createdby field. It sounds like you need an auditing solution - search for
> one called VAST which may help
>
> --
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.mscrmfaq.us
>

> "Chris S" <ChrisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Our sales folks are experiencing a "magic trick" with Accounts - that is,
> > due to a fast-paced company environment, we often have accounts that
> > "disappear" from one salesperson's ownership and get reassigned and
> > "reappear" for the new salesperson to own.
> >
> > I can build the workflow to assign a new Account Owner when they are
> > assigned to the account, but I also want to email the PREVIOUS owner that
> > they lost the account.  I've searched the MBS forum and also taken several
> > swings myself, but no luck.  Any suggestions for how I could email the
> prior
> > record?  Thanks! -- Chris

C'mon Chris,

Come join the Visionary family of happy VAST customers!   First, if you
really consider $50-$150 per user to be expensive, please send an email
to me at dave-(no spam)_@vscrm.com to discuss.(we do also have volume
licensing programs I'd be happy to discuss with you.)

Second, all of the Micrsoft people I've talked to (over a dozen at
Convergence, including Alex Simons, the Product Manager for CRM) said
that they have no plans to include audit tracking functionality.  I
have the 2.0 Beta, and it definitely isn't there. so it is at a minimum
2007 before it would be there, and maybe not even then.  Looking at it
from their point of view, if they can point customers who need auditing
at a Veritest approved ISV solution that costs a few thousand dolars
for the average customer, why should Microsoft spend hundreds of
thousands (probably millions) to build it?  They have a lot of other
fish they need to fry for the next few years.

Third, VAST will help in you in more ways than just showing you the
last owner of a sales opportunity.  If you are truly in such a
fast-paced environment, I'm sure opportunities disappear almost as fast
as they appear.  Do your sales managers know why the monthly forecast
looks great until the last week, when all of the forecasts move out a
month?   Do they know who is routinely over or under-estimating their
prospects?   Who moves the fastest from Lead to Quote?  From Quote to
Close?

Having this historical data that VAST provides, and making it available
for loading into a warehouse and doing some really business critical
analysis could easily pay for itself if you can improve your sales
processes by even a small amount.

As to time and effort, it takes me about 15 minutes to install it,
although it might take somebody up to an hour to do it the first time.
But after that, VAST has minimal IT impact.  Even after you add a new
custom field, once you publish it, VAST will audit changes to that new
field without you doing anything else!

Not only that, but if you are a public company, then you really need
VAST so your upper level execs can personally certify that your
internal IT systems have the proper controls in place.  Or, if you are
in the healthcare industry, you should consider VAST because of HIPAA;
in the financial industry, you have GLBA to worry about; and all
companies need to be sure they are meeting the standards of the Privacy
Act (if somebody from Florida tells you not to fax them, and you do,
your company could be sued for millions!  It'd be nice to know who
reset the flag from 'no fax' to 'fax' in that instance, wouldn't it?)

So Chris, I urge you to take another look at VAST.  I know we can make
your users happier, and your system more verifiable, at a very low cost
in terms of time/money/effort for you.

Please excuse the shameless self-promotion everybody, but I couldn't
let that one go by! ;-)

Dave
David L. Carr, President
Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
Main #: 971-327-6944

Introducing our newest software product...
VAST - an auditing solution for Microsoft CRM 1.2
VAST shows you "Who Did What When" in Microsoft CRM
To download our free trial, get more info, or to order, visit
http://www.VSCRM.com

0
Dave
4/7/2005 7:27:21 PM
C'mon Dave.... "hundreds of thousands (probably millions)" ???  I find it hard
to believe that it would cost that much to build.  If it did, you wouldn't be
charging $50-$150/user. ;-)

But I will give you this, I'm sure it would be cheaper to buy unless there was a
huge user count and/or you value the dev time very cheaply.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On 7 Apr 2005 12:27:21 -0700, "Dave Carr (dave- no spam-@vscrm.com"
<dave@vscrm.com> wrote:

[...]

Matt

why is image001.gif attached to all my outgoing emails?
is word your email editor? Did you set a header or footer in word, or use bullet points (especially in the header or footer)? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EAS...

Are emails auto-generated to Required Attendees of Appointments?
With regard to appointments in the CRM, I'm not sure where to confirm if email notifications are going to Required attendees. We use appts. to track our meetings with customers and sometimes they are added in after the meeting is held. I ask this because, in the blank area of the appointment, we sometimes include internal notes that I don't want our prospects to see. One time, one of my sales reps added a question, and the prospect emailed back with a reply! This is bad. If I'm going to invite a client to a meeting, I do it by phone or separate email. Does anyone know h...

workflow assembly vs. workflow bulk import
hi, i have a question concerning the account the workflow service is supposed to run at. I developed a Workflow Assembly which creates an Activity in CRM. I realized - maybe because of bad configuration - that the workflow service has to be run at a crm user account to work. Is this true or is local system also possible? Because now we realized that Bulk import only works when the Local System account is used for Workflow Service. Big Problem. Anybody with a similar problem and a resolution? martin ...

Help requested to construct this workflow rule...
We have a custom field on Account Detail screen where "Contract Expiry Date" is captured. We would like to create a work flow rule which will send an alert email to the Account Owner six months before the "Contract Expiry Date". We are putting our heads around on how to create this rule but could not achieve a result. Can someone guide us to the right direction? We will appreciate your help. I'm not sure if this works on custom attributes, haven't tested that. But, if it does then you could do this using a "Wait for Timer" condition. You set the time...

Interactive email
I want to create a form that I can email to friends with boxes they can check and then send back. Can this be created in MS Publisher? Well, thanks XXZFZFCJKCGHXGFBJXFFO.. I was hoping for something a little more informative.. Anyone Are your 'friends' incapable of typing - Yes - No - Maybe - Perhaps -- Well, I guess thats one way to "solve" a problem.. thanks... ...

Email #26
Does anyone know how to get animated pictures in their mail. I always get them but have not figured out how to do it myself. If I copy and paste it is only the still picture. Thanks to all & have a great New Year! ...

Message Options (Delayed Emails) #3
Hi all, I have a user on my network who uses the Message Options often to delay emails in the Outbox to a specific time. The problem is only with this user. Users OS is 2000 Pro/Office XP (Outlook 2002) and is not working offline. Server is Exchange server 5.5 LDAP not POP3. (For example, the user can write an email at 1pm and click send and the email will sit in the Outbox until the specified time the user has set in the Message Options dialog box.) The problem is that sometimes the messages work and sometimes they dont. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks. ...

Is there a 'RecordChanged' event in workflow manager?
I'm not finding it if there is. I need to have CRM send Account and Incident info to BizTalk whenever the record changes, and someone suggested I write a workflow rule that posts account info to a URL to accomplish this. However, all I can find is a Status Change event that is not very useful for this. If anyone has a better idea, please don't be shy and let me know :) Also, after I save and activate the rule, it doesn't show up in the workflow monitor. thanks, Daniel. You can create a post callout for post-update. BK "Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <rimmelzwaan@xhotmail.c...

Automator Workflows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I've found out that Automator workflows are not included with the Home &amp; Student edition for some reason. Is there any way of downloading these or making workflows myself that can be used in Office? <br> Thanks. ...

How to track an email
Ok, I got an email from user@ourdomain.com. This user no longer works for us, so I know he did not send it. And it did not show a first or last name, just the email address as who it was from. I have 1 exchange server 2003 (windows 200). Is there anyway I could block emails that say they are coming from @ourdomain, when they really are coming from an external source? Sorry, I have no real training on exchange, so I am always trying to learn. Thanks Even if it's possible, you may not want to do this. You'll find that it'll block legitimate emails from your people who&#...

Outlook Rules to move messages
I have been asked what happens if 2 rules that move a message to 2 different folders are valid for more than 1 email. e.g. rule 1: move an email with manchester in subject to manchester folder rule 2: move an email with liverpool in subject to liverpool folder what will happen if my email contanis both manchester and liverpool in the subject folder. You'll end up with one copy in the Manchester folder and one copy in the Liverpool folder. This is why sorting your rules, settings exceptions and setting the "stop processing rules" action is so important. For ...

Why cant I save doc then send email from open doc?
s update/change information in Publisher documents and click "SAVE". When I need to send to another person I click File, Send e-mail - document as attachment. The recipient recieves the original document, not the docoument with saved changes. Why is this???? I find when I close Publisher after clicking "SAVE" and send from Outlook at an attachment the recipient recieves the correct doc. Since sending e-mail from an open document is an option, I should be able to use it. Does anyone have this problem???? -- -kc ...

How to embed HTML in an Email?
I am using outlook express. How do I embed HTML in an email? You'd get a more expert answer if you posted in a newsgroup that was specific to Outlook Express. OE is part of Internet Explorer, not Microsoft Office which is what this group supports and has expertise in. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx Choose your version from there. When you post, please include your version of OE and account type (POP3, etc.), as well as any error messages/numbers, and troubleshooting steps you've taken. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http...

Workflow query
I'd like to be able to activate a workflow rule when any Update event to a Case occurs (i.e. not a standard Manual, Assign, Create or Change Status event). Any ideas? PS: Merry Christmas everybody! You won't be able to this by workflows. You'll need to write custom code to trap the Update event. "Datapac" wrote: > I'd like to be able to activate a workflow rule when any Update event to a > Case occurs (i.e. not a standard Manual, Assign, Create or Change Status > event). > > Any ideas? > > PS: Merry Christmas everybody! MS has just ...

Help displaying new email icon.
Hi I've just started getting a problem with Outllok 2003. When I recieve email the envelope icon that tells me that I have new email appears with the inactive icons ie it does not show the envelope icon - it hides it away with the inactive icons. I would like it displayed (as it used to be), how do I get it to always display when new email arrives? Thanx Simon right click the Windows Start button, select Properties then the Taskbar tab and customize. look for the entry "you have new unopened items" and set its behaviour to "always show" "Simon" <si@com...

My unwanted email messages can't be deleted
I just got a new laptop and when I try to delete my email messages, they show a line thru the middle, but they won't go away. Also, there are many messages in my new email that have been deleted long ago from my desktop. What to do? Thanks so much. "Cheyenne" <Cheyenne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DFD705B-A11D-47DE-9AEF-94F2A1A38C3E@microsoft.com... >I just got a new laptop and when I try to delete my email messages, they >show > a line thru the middle, but they won't go away. > > Also, there are many messages in my new emai...

Find and Email Address
Hello All I want to create a mail address but I am being informed by exchange the mail address already exist but there is no mailbox so I can only assume the address has been asigned to a user Is there a way of finding an email address that may have been asigned to a user without looking at every uses address properities. wayne Try this: http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/08/finding_smtp_ad.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Wayne" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message news:%233NcvpRX...

Error opening Workflow Manager and Monitor
When I try to open Workflow Manager or Monitor i get the following message: "An error occured while loading the organization's date, time, and number format settings. Those settings are incompatible with the format alredy used in Workflow Monitor. To sync them, you can make changes in the System Customization area of Microsoft CRM Server." Which formats are valid? Regards Thomas Did you find a solution to this ? I have the same problem. Anne Busby thomas svensson wrote: > When I try to open Workflow Manager or Monitor i get the > following message: > > &qu...

Disappearing Emails
When I get an email in the inbox. Whatever has the focus on it dissppears after a couple of seconds. Then the next email will disappear. etc... Only on inbox folder, and nothing appears in the deleted folder, in the upper right it says filters applied even though I turned off all rules. Thanks Robert Sounds like you're using a view that only shows unread messages and you have Outlook set to mark a message as read after it's been displayed in the Preview Pane. Go to View -> Current View and make sure that you've selected "Messages" and not "Unread M...

why text only on my in-coming emails?
why am I getting text only on my in-coming emails? Hello Happy, What version of Outlook are you using? -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenote.html > why am I getting text only on my in-coming emails? > Do you have the option set to read all standard mail in plain text? It's under Tools > Options > Email Options. -Peter "Happy Jack" <Happy Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B76EED14-D933-4379-A75C-145590477C86@microsoft.com... > why am...

Include activities created by the workflow
Can you explain me the difference between checking the Include activities created by the workflow option and not checking it .. Can you tell me if this option really works ? I hope you can help me this is mi scenario 1.- I need to send and email automatically when a case is created (I already do this with a workflow rule) .. 2.- Wait 8 hours (I already know how to do this) 3.- Then Check if any other activity has been created besides the email send in number 1 4.- If no activity has been created then I send an email I thougth that if the Include activities generated by workflow is NOT ch...

Workflow email off of custom entity
I am trying to create a workflow that sends email to a lead on the creation of an attached, custom entity. My specific case is: internet user requests information from the website. They sign up to receive the information, and what they enter on the sign-up gets put into a lead. They then request a specific item, and this gets placed into a custom entity in CRM. Now, when the custom entity is created, I want to trigger an email to be sent to the person that just requested it, which is stored on the lead. This would work if I could call a manual workflow as a subprocess from a different ent...

Email Functionality
Hi, In the help menu doc, it says the following Recipients of your e-mail will have the option of either requesting more information (thus becoming a lead) or requesting that they be removed from your e-mail list. Is this a built in feature or do i have to do some customisation in other to get this functionality. Has any one got further infomation on this. Kind Regards Abby ...

Portal Workflow
I have an intermittant problem showing up in Workflows (BP2.7 GP8 sp4a). Most times HR or Payroll dept changes go through fine, but sometimes one gets stuck. Go to ->Site Settings>Application Settings>Workflow>Process Log. When this happens "End" and resubmit fixes it. Once, I had Microsoft helped me clear the tables when "End" did not work". What might be causing this? Comments Tab ********************************************************* Network The system encountered the following error while processing your Service request: Act...

MIssing Email #5
We have an Exchange 2003 clustered environment. I have user's complaining that they are not receiving some emails. We have receive alot of emails during the day and I have a user atleast once a day that says that he/she never received an email. I checked Message Tracking and I don't see the emails there. However other people on exchange that were cc'd on the emails receive the emails. Can you help? are these internal emails? or email from the Internet? "AJ" <mzalj@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:OJf4dZ$VFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > We have an...