Workflow or Code (CRM 4.0)

I'm not sure if this is even possible I think it is, but I can't figure out
how to do this via workflow.  I'm open to doing this either way, if both are
possible.  Any details are appreciated.

Scenario:
When a contact is created or updated for an Account that is a "Vendor" with
type "1" then I want to create the same contact for all Accounts that are
"Customers" that are also type "1".  Please note I need to be able to scan
through all accounts (We only have 60).  This does not have to happen real
time but near real time.

I like pictures so here is a text picture of what I'm trying to do:

Account = Vendor                                            Account = Customer
Type = 1                                                         Type = 1
When contact A is created   --------------------->  Contact A (create here
also)
When Contact A is Updated ----------------------> Contact A (Update here
also)

thanks
Emad
0
E (96)
3/10/2008 1:42:00 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

This really sounds like a better scenario for plug-ins in CRM 4.0

=======================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist
http://blogs.msdn.com/jodonnell
http://blogs.msdn.com/usisvde

"e" <e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if this is even possible I think it is, but I can't figure
> out
> how to do this via workflow.  I'm open to doing this either way, if both
> are
> possible.  Any details are appreciated.
>
> Scenario:
> When a contact is created or updated for an Account that is a "Vendor"
> with
> type "1" then I want to create the same contact for all Accounts that are
> "Customers" that are also type "1".  Please note I need to be able to scan
> through all accounts (We only have 60).  This does not have to happen real
> time but near real time.
>
> I like pictures so here is a text picture of what I'm trying to do:
>
> Account = Vendor                                            Account =
> Customer
> Type = 1                                                         Type = 1
> When contact A is created   --------------------->  Contact A (create here
> also)
> When Contact A is Updated ----------------------> Contact A (Update here
> also)
>
> thanks
> Emad

plug-ins?
How complex are plug-ins.  I'm not much of a coder.  I could code if I have
to, but any intro is much appreciated so I could see if it's within my skill
set.

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> This really sounds like a better scenario for plug-ins in CRM 4.0
>

> =======================
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist
> http://blogs.msdn.com/jodonnell
> http://blogs.msdn.com/usisvde
>

> "e" <e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not sure if this is even possible I think it is, but I can't figure
> > out
> > how to do this via workflow.  I'm open to doing this either way, if both
> > are
> > possible.  Any details are appreciated.
> >
> > Scenario:
> > When a contact is created or updated for an Account that is a "Vendor"
> > with
> > type "1" then I want to create the same contact for all Accounts that are
> > "Customers" that are also type "1".  Please note I need to be able to scan
> > through all accounts (We only have 60).  This does not have to happen real
> > time but near real time.
> >
> > I like pictures so here is a text picture of what I'm trying to do:
> >
> > Account = Vendor                                            Account =
> > Customer
> > Type = 1                                                         Type = 1
> > When contact A is created   --------------------->  Contact A (create here
> > also)
> > When Contact A is Updated ----------------------> Contact A (Update here
> > also)
> >
> > thanks
> > Emad

0
E (96)
3/11/2008 12:16:01 AM
Hey John,

I read about plug-ins and without a lot of help, it appears that using
workflow or javascript will be easier for me any clue how I could have a
workflow for a contact one entity create contacts for other account entites.

"e" wrote:

> plug-ins?
> How complex are plug-ins.  I'm not much of a coder.  I could code if I have
> to, but any intro is much appreciated so I could see if it's within my skill
> set.
>
> "John O'Donnell" wrote:
>
> > This really sounds like a better scenario for plug-ins in CRM 4.0
> >

> > =======================
> > John O'Donnell
> > Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/jodonnell
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/usisvde
> >

> > "e" <e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm not sure if this is even possible I think it is, but I can't figure
> > > out
> > > how to do this via workflow.  I'm open to doing this either way, if both
> > > are
> > > possible.  Any details are appreciated.
> > >
> > > Scenario:
> > > When a contact is created or updated for an Account that is a "Vendor"
> > > with
> > > type "1" then I want to create the same contact for all Accounts that are
> > > "Customers" that are also type "1".  Please note I need to be able to scan
> > > through all accounts (We only have 60).  This does not have to happen real
> > > time but near real time.
> > >
> > > I like pictures so here is a text picture of what I'm trying to do:
> > >
> > > Account = Vendor                                            Account =
> > > Customer
> > > Type = 1                                                         Type = 1
> > > When contact A is created   --------------------->  Contact A (create here
> > > also)
> > > When Contact A is Updated ----------------------> Contact A (Update here
> > > also)
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > Emad

0
E (96)
3/11/2008 1:24:01 AM
Hi

I am not sure if I am understanding your requirement correctly but I think
you could use a workflow rule.

The conditions of the workflow rule would stipulate that if the relationship
type of the account equals a certain value then a contact would be created.

If Account - Relationship type equals customer
then
Create Contact

Using the create form you could add any other details. Hope this helps.
Mark

"e" wrote:

> Hey John,
>
> I read about plug-ins and without a lot of help, it appears that using
> workflow or javascript will be easier for me any clue how I could have a
> workflow for a contact one entity create contacts for other account entites.
>
> "e" wrote:
>
> > plug-ins?
> > How complex are plug-ins.  I'm not much of a coder.  I could code if I have
> > to, but any intro is much appreciated so I could see if it's within my skill
> > set.
> >
> > "John O'Donnell" wrote:
> >
> > > This really sounds like a better scenario for plug-ins in CRM 4.0
> > >

> > > =======================
> > > John O'Donnell
> > > Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist
> > > http://blogs.msdn.com/jodonnell
> > > http://blogs.msdn.com/usisvde
> > >

> > > "e" <e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

2nd CRM in same domain
Are there any special considerations for installing a second CRM 1.2 in the same domain? Is this a bad idea? Assuming not, can I use the same SQL server or must I use a different SQL server? I am doing this to prepare a test environment for the upcoming 3.0 release (I want to upgrade the test 1.2 to 3.0 before attempting it on our production environment). I am relatively new to CRM, so any advice on how best to do this would be appreciated. Thank you, Neil B. do you have an second organization name/license key pair foryour second installation? If you have separate org names, y...

Unable to load CRM website
I have installed Microsoft for the first time. It is on a Windows 2003 ENT server that is also running SQL server with service pack 3a. When logged on the server with domain admin account and using "http://localhost" I get "The page cannot be found HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found. Internet Information Services (IIS)" This is from the default install; I have not moved or edited the IIS instance or the default "Microsoft CRM Server 1.0" web site. Under IIS it shows the web site is up and running. I also checked and made sure that "(All...

Help requested to construct this workflow rule...
We have a custom field on Account Detail screen where "Contract Expiry Date" is captured. We would like to create a work flow rule which will send an alert email to the Account Owner six months before the "Contract Expiry Date". We are putting our heads around on how to create this rule but could not achieve a result. Can someone guide us to the right direction? We will appreciate your help. I'm not sure if this works on custom attributes, haven't tested that. But, if it does then you could do this using a "Wait for Timer" condition. You set the time...

Can I automatically resize all controls in a Dialog without adding user codes
Dear All, Can I design a Dialog that automatically resizes all controls when the Dialog is being resized? Many thanks, Yes. You can resize or move them as you wish by handling OnSize of the dialog. SetWindowPos can be used to change the size and/or position. Here is a helpful link: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/resizabledialog.asp --- Ajay No. You must explicitly take action on the OnSize handler to resize them. Sometimes, there are packages called "geometry managers" that make this fairly straightforward (check www.codeproject.com and www.codeguru.com for examples)...

Database log file 11.4 gig
I have an SBS 2K3 server that recently has been running low on drive space on the C drive. SharePoint seems to be creating a log file in C:\Windows\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data This database log file is currently 11.4 gig in size. It also appears that the file gets recreated or updated periodically. SharePoint is not being used on this server - the default company webpage is all that there is, and it has not been modified since the server was installed 2 years ago. Can this file be removed or redirected? I am a total SharePoint novice. Thanks, Dan What tha...

Coding Issue
Morning and Happy New Year all. I am having an issue with a code I'm trying to use to change the back color of some text boxes I'm using on my form. The actual issue is not that the code is not working. It’s just only working with one text box. I would like to know how I would fix this code to change a group of numbers and not a series of numbers. i.e. "220, 222, 224, 226" - AND NOT - "220 To 226" Now, when I try and enter it in example A it does not allow the comma. Example B gives me an error because there are no odd numbers. I have tried changing th...

ActiveX Control
In Visual C++ 6.0 I have two ActiveX control project. One ActiveX control is dependent on another ActiveX control. For that First Project is compiled succesfully and then in second project we used Project->Add To Project->Components and Controls-> then point to compiled first project ActiveX control. Then It will insert .h and .cpp files to Second Project. The same how to do in Visual Studio 2008. Please help regarding this -- WM_QUIT RLN On Nov 13, 5:27=A0am, RLN <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In Visual C++ 6.0 I have two ActiveX control project...

workflow assembly vs. workflow bulk import
hi, i have a question concerning the account the workflow service is supposed to run at. I developed a Workflow Assembly which creates an Activity in CRM. I realized - maybe because of bad configuration - that the workflow service has to be run at a crm user account to work. Is this true or is local system also possible? Because now we realized that Bulk import only works when the Local System account is used for Workflow Service. Big Problem. Anybody with a similar problem and a resolution? martin ...

what is cannot complete operation error code 0x80040155
my clip art is gone how do I get it back You need to re-register the Ole32.dll Start, run, type in the open box regsvr32 ole32.dll If that doesn't work... You receive a "Clipart cannot complete the operation" error message when you try to insert clip art in an Office XP program or in an Office 2003 program http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889885/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "dredrhino" <dredrhino@discussions.microsoft...

VBA code to create multiple charts in a single Excel sheet
Hi, I need to create a macro in Access which creates a report in an excel sheet. The excel sheet needs to contain a number of sheets (Sheet 1,Sheet 2,Sheet 3....).Inside each Sheet around 9 charts have to be displayed. Please can somebody help me with some vba code for the same. Thanks, Sobha ...

In VBA, how do you format selected code all at once?
Hi all, In VBA, (the VBA inside Excel 2003), how do I do the following by key short-cuts? 1. Auto-Format selected codes; 2. Comment/Uncomment selected codes... Thank you! I'm not sure what you mean by your first question, but I can answer your second one... I don't think there is a keyboard shortcut available. However, you can add two buttons to the toolbar to make the task doable with a single mouse click. Click View/Toolbars/Customize from the VB editor's menu bar, click the Commands tab on the dialog box that appears, select Edit from the Categories list and then scroll...

Is there a 'RecordChanged' event in workflow manager?
I'm not finding it if there is. I need to have CRM send Account and Incident info to BizTalk whenever the record changes, and someone suggested I write a workflow rule that posts account info to a URL to accomplish this. However, all I can find is a Status Change event that is not very useful for this. If anyone has a better idea, please don't be shy and let me know :) Also, after I save and activate the rule, it doesn't show up in the workflow monitor. thanks, Daniel. You can create a post callout for post-update. BK "Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <rimmelzwaan@xhotmail.c...

Any issues with Windows Service Pack 3 (XP) and GP v. 8.0? Thanks
My client is looking to see if there are any issues with this combination. Thank you. No issues that I have heard about. However, check the system requirements page as it is updated frequently to address some of these questions at https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/greatplains/documentation/systemrequirements/compatibility_gp8.0_lowmidhi.htm?printpage=false Just make sure you are running the latest GP 8 service pack (Service Pack 5) available at https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/greatplains/downloads/servicepack/greatplains80_servicepacks.htm?printpage=fal...

Customizing 3.0 Marketing List Members View
When I open a Marketing List and click on Members, a view of the lists members is displayed. I would like to add a column to the list from the Contact record. Is this possible? Thanks I'm trying to do the same thing. If I use Advanced Find to create my list (from leads in my case), it allows me to select columns. However, when my Marketing List Members list is displayed, the columns appear fixed, showing Name, Business Phone, and City. I can't find anywhere in the entities to change this. It's not very useful as is. "Rocco P" wrote: > When I open a Marke...

Automator Workflows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I've found out that Automator workflows are not included with the Home &amp; Student edition for some reason. Is there any way of downloading these or making workflows myself that can be used in Office? <br> Thanks. ...

Workflow query
I'd like to be able to activate a workflow rule when any Update event to a Case occurs (i.e. not a standard Manual, Assign, Create or Change Status event). Any ideas? PS: Merry Christmas everybody! You won't be able to this by workflows. You'll need to write custom code to trap the Update event. "Datapac" wrote: > I'd like to be able to activate a workflow rule when any Update event to a > Case occurs (i.e. not a standard Manual, Assign, Create or Change Status > event). > > Any ideas? > > PS: Merry Christmas everybody! MS has just ...

Use of XPath 2.0 functions in XPathNavigator

Error opening Workflow Manager and Monitor
When I try to open Workflow Manager or Monitor i get the following message: "An error occured while loading the organization's date, time, and number format settings. Those settings are incompatible with the format alredy used in Workflow Monitor. To sync them, you can make changes in the System Customization area of Microsoft CRM Server." Which formats are valid? Regards Thomas Did you find a solution to this ? I have the same problem. Anne Busby thomas svensson wrote: > When I try to open Workflow Manager or Monitor i get the > following message: > > &qu...

Include activities created by the workflow
Can you explain me the difference between checking the Include activities created by the workflow option and not checking it .. Can you tell me if this option really works ? I hope you can help me this is mi scenario 1.- I need to send and email automatically when a case is created (I already do this with a workflow rule) .. 2.- Wait 8 hours (I already know how to do this) 3.- Then Check if any other activity has been created besides the email send in number 1 4.- If no activity has been created then I send an email I thougth that if the Include activities generated by workflow is NOT ch...

Workflow email off of custom entity
I am trying to create a workflow that sends email to a lead on the creation of an attached, custom entity. My specific case is: internet user requests information from the website. They sign up to receive the information, and what they enter on the sign-up gets put into a lead. They then request a specific item, and this gets placed into a custom entity in CRM. Now, when the custom entity is created, I want to trigger an email to be sent to the person that just requested it, which is stored on the lead. This would work if I could call a manual workflow as a subprocess from a different ent...

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Web Resources: Data (XML) and Style Sheet (XSL)
As I began to dig into the wonderful world of Web Resources in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011, I found some great examples of Silverlight, HTML, and JScript Web Resources but the examples which seem to be the most elusive are those dedicated to the use of XSL and XML. That is until today! In this post, I am going to create a very basic example. In this example I have a static XML document which I want to display in a dashboard. The XML document uses a simple XSL style sheet to format my XML data. Finally, I include an HTML Web Resource which consumes both the XML and XSL Web Resources. Seem...

Change Item Lookup Code to Uppercase
Having issues scanning barcodes that are generated from RMS when the Item Lookup Code is in lowercase. I have changed a few items in HQ manager that had lowercase Lookup Codes to uppercase and after I synced the SO Database and printed off a new Label and the barcode scans fine. So now I am wondering if I can just generate a SQL Query with the Item lookup Code and Item ID and export it to Excel. Use Excels UPPER Formula to change all Item Lookup Codes to Uppercase and then export the data into the HQ Database. This seems a little far-fetched but it seems like it could work. Just would l...

Completing the activity using custom .net code
Hello, Depending upon certain conditions in a custom code i want to complete the task activity which should then be visible in History link of CRM. Can anyone give me the sample code for the same. protected void Button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { CrmService service=new CrmService(); service.Url=ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["Url"]; service.Credentials = new System.Net.NetworkCredential(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["CredentialsUName"],ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["CredentialsPwd"],ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["Cred...

RECEIPTS: Hide up item look up code in receipt
My buyer and I are wondering, how would you change the receipt to hide/not show the item lookup code in the receipt. Any help would be appreciated. Sincerely, Ryan hi Ryan, its very easy to do so, make a backup of receipt.xml file under: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Retail Management System\Store Operations\ReceiptTemplates or whereever you installed the program. Then open the receipt.xml file in notepad and find the "Entry.Item.ItemLookupCode" and just cut from whole code whereever it appears and then save the file. then again to to SO Manager program> Database > Regi...

Portal Workflow
I have an intermittant problem showing up in Workflows (BP2.7 GP8 sp4a). Most times HR or Payroll dept changes go through fine, but sometimes one gets stuck. Go to ->Site Settings>Application Settings>Workflow>Process Log. When this happens "End" and resubmit fixes it. Once, I had Microsoft helped me clear the tables when "End" did not work". What might be causing this? Comments Tab ********************************************************* Network The system encountered the following error while processing your Service request: Act...