Workflow generated pop-up messages

I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
messages back to a Web client.
Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
“Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
Thank you in advance.

0
Ross (104)
1/12/2009 5:48:01 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
to the form toolbar as a button

"Ross" wrote:

> I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
> code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
> So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
> the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
> I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
> however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
> messages back to a Web client.
> Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
> situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
> “Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
> Thank you in advance.

Thank you Gaurav for your response.
I'll give your suggestion a go.

"Gaurav Dalal" wrote:

> The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
> write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
> then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
> to the form toolbar as a button
>
> "Ross" wrote:
>
> > I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
> > code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
> > So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
> > the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
> > I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
> > however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
> > messages back to a Web client.
> > Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
> > situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
> > “Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
> > Thank you in advance.

0
Ross (104)
1/12/2009 11:51:01 PM
If this is the only WF Rule for the entity, you can intercept the OnClick
event for the "Apply Rule" button, run your validation checks in JScript, and
if they are valid, allow the "Apply Rule" action continue, else, display an
alert message, set the focus to that field and cancel the Apply Rule event.

All this can be done in the OnLoad event and calling the function on the
Menu Item's OnClick event. The trick is finding Menu item name, action, etc
in the Form's code.

Now, if you have multiple WF Rules for this entity, this would not be
possible, since they may not be choosing the WF Rule that would have to
perform these validation checks...

MD

"Ross" wrote:

> Thank you Gaurav for your response.
> I'll give your suggestion a go.
>
> "Gaurav Dalal" wrote:
>
> > The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
> > write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
> > then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
> > to the form toolbar as a button
> >
> > "Ross" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
> > > code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
> > > So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
> > > the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
> > > I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
> > > however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
> > > messages back to a Web client.
> > > Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
> > > situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
> > > “Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
> > > Thank you in advance.

0
MD1 (196)
1/15/2009 5:46:55 PM
Thank you MD, for your reply. We only have the one WF rule for the Entity so
your solution should work. Thanks again.

"MD" wrote:

> If this is the only WF Rule for the entity, you can intercept the OnClick
> event for the "Apply Rule" button, run your validation checks in JScript, and
> if they are valid, allow the "Apply Rule" action continue, else, display an
> alert message, set the focus to that field and cancel the Apply Rule event.
>
> All this can be done in the OnLoad event and calling the function on the
> Menu Item's OnClick event. The trick is finding Menu item name, action, etc
> in the Form's code.
>
> Now, if you have multiple WF Rules for this entity, this would not be
> possible, since they may not be choosing the WF Rule that would have to
> perform these validation checks...
>

> MD
>

> "Ross" wrote:
>
> > Thank you Gaurav for your response.
> > I'll give your suggestion a go.
> >
> > "Gaurav Dalal" wrote:
> >
> > > The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
> > > write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
> > > then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
> > > to the form toolbar as a button

0
Ross (104)
1/16/2009 12:44:01 AM
Hi Gaurav

I have built a web page where validate the UI fields and designed a button
on CRM account card to invoke it, but I do not know how to trigger a workflow
in C#. Do you have any sample code I can study?

Thanks and regards

Sky

"Gaurav Dalal" wrote:

> The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
> write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
> then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
> to the form toolbar as a button
>
> "Ross" wrote:
>
> > I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
> > code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
> > So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
> > the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
> > I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
> > however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
> > messages back to a Web client.
> > Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
> > situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
> > “Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
> > Thank you in advance.

0
Sky (7)

error message 0x800ccc69
Outlook 2002. When trying to send a particular email get this message. Tested the account and it is working but when trying to send to this one person get this error message. Any ideas???? Try deleting the account from the control panel and then readding it and see if that does not solve the problem. >-----Original Message----- >Outlook 2002. When trying to send a particular email get >this message. Tested the account and it is working but >when trying to send to this one person get this error >message. Any ideas???? >. > That error message indicates that t...

Error message when signing into Great Plains
I have a problem when setting up MS Great Plain. When I log into a company (E.G. company ABC), I receive an error message says "Decrypt Job Cost Creation Failed", I press OK, and the program just continues to run. Is there anyone know what is this message is about and how to resolve this problem?? Thank you very much This error is generated by the Wennsoft Products dictionary. Most times it relates to not installing the Wennsoft product from the SETUP.EXE. This is necessary as it installs and registers a couple DLL files, specifically WSREGKEYM.DLL and WSWRAPPER.DLL Refer to th...

workflow assembly vs. workflow bulk import
hi, i have a question concerning the account the workflow service is supposed to run at. I developed a Workflow Assembly which creates an Activity in CRM. I realized - maybe because of bad configuration - that the workflow service has to be run at a crm user account to work. Is this true or is local system also possible? Because now we realized that Bulk import only works when the Local System account is used for Workflow Service. Big Problem. Anybody with a similar problem and a resolution? martin ...

Are emails auto-generated to Required Attendees of Appointments?
With regard to appointments in the CRM, I'm not sure where to confirm if email notifications are going to Required attendees. We use appts. to track our meetings with customers and sometimes they are added in after the meeting is held. I ask this because, in the blank area of the appointment, we sometimes include internal notes that I don't want our prospects to see. One time, one of my sales reps added a question, and the prospect emailed back with a reply! This is bad. If I'm going to invite a client to a meeting, I do it by phone or separate email. Does anyone know h...

recalling a sent message #2
I want to recall a sent message but haven't got the option in Messages. What can I do about that? To recall a message, open the message from the Sent Items folder. Go to the Actions menu and choose Recall This Message. This only works in Outlook 98-2003. Outlook Express doesn't have this feature. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza "Harry" <anonymou...

Year-end Close for all modules should generate a report
There should be status reports generated for the year-end close procedures on all modules to verify if the process completed successfully or not. If not, what the problem is. The year-end close for fixed assets was performed and apparently didn't complete successfully and now, in February, when trying to post January depreciation, it is discovered that the year never closed. It's not possible to go back now to get a backup from the last day of the year and try again, after 1-1/2 months of activity. Had a report been generated at the time, it would have been known then that there...

error message 1935
hi, i keep getting the error 1935 0x80070BC9 when i try to load office sharepoint designer 2007. if anyone can help me with this that would be great cheers You will do better if you repost this to the public.sharepoint.general newsgroup where the sharepoint experts are On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.sharepoint.general -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "apcilliterate" <yourdisplayname@di...

Help requested to construct this workflow rule...
We have a custom field on Account Detail screen where "Contract Expiry Date" is captured. We would like to create a work flow rule which will send an alert email to the Account Owner six months before the "Contract Expiry Date". We are putting our heads around on how to create this rule but could not achieve a result. Can someone guide us to the right direction? We will appreciate your help. I'm not sure if this works on custom attributes, haven't tested that. But, if it does then you could do this using a "Wait for Timer" condition. You set the time...

Message archiving with exchange 2000
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C3AAB5.88D55270 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Good afternoon Could we expect some trafic problems if we implement message archiving = on all of our 63 exchange servers? Our first tought is to copy all = messages on a dedicated public folder. Thanks for your advices Luc ------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C3AAB5.88D55270 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-/...

Is there a 'RecordChanged' event in workflow manager?
I'm not finding it if there is. I need to have CRM send Account and Incident info to BizTalk whenever the record changes, and someone suggested I write a workflow rule that posts account info to a URL to accomplish this. However, all I can find is a Status Change event that is not very useful for this. If anyone has a better idea, please don't be shy and let me know :) Also, after I save and activate the rule, it doesn't show up in the workflow monitor. thanks, Daniel. You can create a post callout for post-update. BK "Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <rimmelzwaan@xhotmail.c...

outlook 2007 Imap folder not downloading messages
I have 13 folders in my imap account. One folder stopped downloading messages. It shows 6 unread messages on the folder name, but there are no unread messages to be seen. Sometime last week, it just stopped downloading messages for this folder. I ran Scanpst across the pst file, but no problems were found. I tried resetting the views, but still no unread messages. This happened before and I had to redownload all messages - but I have 1 gig of email in my entire mailbox, I can't keep re-downloading email every 3 weeks. I think part of the problem is that I have a very slow internet c...

Message Options (Delayed Emails) #3
Hi all, I have a user on my network who uses the Message Options often to delay emails in the Outbox to a specific time. The problem is only with this user. Users OS is 2000 Pro/Office XP (Outlook 2002) and is not working offline. Server is Exchange server 5.5 LDAP not POP3. (For example, the user can write an email at 1pm and click send and the email will sit in the Outbox until the specified time the user has set in the Message Options dialog box.) The problem is that sometimes the messages work and sometimes they dont. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks. ...

36 messages "not downloaded"
I access this ng via Outlook Express. Every time I open it I read at the bottom left that there are "36 not downloaded." I have checked "Mark all messages read when exiting a newsgroup" in Options. Yet the ng name remains in bold, indicating unread messages. I have done Catch Up numerous times, which changes the group name to lower case, but the next time I open the ng, there are always "36 not downloaded." Clicking "Download next 100 headers" does nothing. Any idea what is causing this behavior--or how to correct it? On Nov 21, 10:14...

IMCEAEX addresses in the "messages with an unreachable destination" queue
Hi, I have one EX2003 server in our org with some messages ending up in the "messages with an unreachable destination" queue. The messages are internal to this server only. Its the usual IMCEAEX format - SMTP:IMCEAex-_O=MPI_OU=BRUSSELS_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=IreneF@localmail.mpi.loca The users mailboxes were being migrated from EX55 to 2003 but the migration was scrapped as the 5.5 box died before it could be completed. Exchange attributes for the user accounts were removed and the mails were then exmerged from a recovery server to the new 2003 server. This only affects a small amount ...

Automator Workflows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I've found out that Automator workflows are not included with the Home &amp; Student edition for some reason. Is there any way of downloading these or making workflows myself that can be used in Office? <br> Thanks. ...

many copies of messages
I receive many copies of the same message each time I start outlook. Please help me if you know how can I fix this problem. Masoud wrote: > I receive many copies of the same message each time I > start outlook. Please help me if you know how can I fix > this problem. Are they always the same messages? Do you get multiple copes of every message you get? Are the messages legit messages or SPAM? -- Joseph E. Meehan 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math ...

Workflow query
I'd like to be able to activate a workflow rule when any Update event to a Case occurs (i.e. not a standard Manual, Assign, Create or Change Status event). Any ideas? PS: Merry Christmas everybody! You won't be able to this by workflows. You'll need to write custom code to trap the Update event. "Datapac" wrote: > I'd like to be able to activate a workflow rule when any Update event to a > Case occurs (i.e. not a standard Manual, Assign, Create or Change Status > event). > > Any ideas? > > PS: Merry Christmas everybody! MS has just ...

Finding Forwarded Messages
I'm trying to do a global search in my inbox for all forwarded messages and then I'm going to select them and move them to another folder but I can't find out how to do this. Does anybody know how you do this type of Find. Thanks, Pete You can try this manually by sorting by the icon column which should group the forwarded items together. "Peter" <petercritic@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1178087950.323787.180420@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to do a global search in my inbox for all forwarded > messages and then I'm going to se...

Generate money
Don't miss the chance to generate a lot of money with AGLOCO Viewbar! No risk and absolutely free! - http://www.agloco.com/r/BBCQ5313 ...

undeliverable message #6
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Subject Sent: Date Time The following recipient(s) could not be reached: RecipientName on Date Time The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. <ExchangeServerName.DomainName.com #5.2.1> is anyone also encountering this error? microsoft said that it will be fix as soon as exchangeSP2 is release or download the hotfix i really need to get this fix the users are getting pissed Hi Olive...

My unwanted email messages can't be deleted
I just got a new laptop and when I try to delete my email messages, they show a line thru the middle, but they won't go away. Also, there are many messages in my new email that have been deleted long ago from my desktop. What to do? Thanks so much. "Cheyenne" <Cheyenne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DFD705B-A11D-47DE-9AEF-94F2A1A38C3E@microsoft.com... >I just got a new laptop and when I try to delete my email messages, they >show > a line thru the middle, but they won't go away. > > Also, there are many messages in my new emai...

Error opening Workflow Manager and Monitor
When I try to open Workflow Manager or Monitor i get the following message: "An error occured while loading the organization's date, time, and number format settings. Those settings are incompatible with the format alredy used in Workflow Monitor. To sync them, you can make changes in the System Customization area of Microsoft CRM Server." Which formats are valid? Regards Thomas Did you find a solution to this ? I have the same problem. Anne Busby thomas svensson wrote: > When I try to open Workflow Manager or Monitor i get the > following message: > > &qu...

Error Message #68
When I start Outlook 2002 on my computer, I get the following error message: GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL. Entry Point not found. What does this mean and how do I correct it??? Frank <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I start Outlook 2002 on my computer, I get the > following error message: > > GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library > MSDART.DLL. Entry Point not found. > > What does this mean and how do I correct it??? Asked and answered hundreds of times. Update MDAC at Windows Up...

Include activities created by the workflow
Can you explain me the difference between checking the Include activities created by the workflow option and not checking it .. Can you tell me if this option really works ? I hope you can help me this is mi scenario 1.- I need to send and email automatically when a case is created (I already do this with a workflow rule) .. 2.- Wait 8 hours (I already know how to do this) 3.- Then Check if any other activity has been created besides the email send in number 1 4.- If no activity has been created then I send an email I thougth that if the Include activities generated by workflow is NOT ch...

Workflow email off of custom entity
I am trying to create a workflow that sends email to a lead on the creation of an attached, custom entity. My specific case is: internet user requests information from the website. They sign up to receive the information, and what they enter on the sign-up gets put into a lead. They then request a specific item, and this gets placed into a custom entity in CRM. Now, when the custom entity is created, I want to trigger an email to be sent to the person that just requested it, which is stored on the lead. This would work if I could call a manual workflow as a subprocess from a different ent...