Workflow generated pop-up messages

I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
messages back to a Web client.
Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
“Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
Thank you in advance.

0
Ross (104)
1/12/2009 5:48:01 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
to the form toolbar as a button

"Ross" wrote:

> I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
> code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
> So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
> the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
> I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
> however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
> messages back to a Web client.
> Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
> situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
> “Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
> Thank you in advance.

Thank you Gaurav for your response.
I'll give your suggestion a go.

"Gaurav Dalal" wrote:

> The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
> write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
> then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
> to the form toolbar as a button
>
> "Ross" wrote:
>
> > I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
> > code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
> > So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
> > the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
> > I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
> > however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
> > messages back to a Web client.
> > Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
> > situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
> > “Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
> > Thank you in advance.

0
Ross (104)
1/12/2009 11:51:01 PM
If this is the only WF Rule for the entity, you can intercept the OnClick
event for the "Apply Rule" button, run your validation checks in JScript, and
if they are valid, allow the "Apply Rule" action continue, else, display an
alert message, set the focus to that field and cancel the Apply Rule event.

All this can be done in the OnLoad event and calling the function on the
Menu Item's OnClick event. The trick is finding Menu item name, action, etc
in the Form's code.

Now, if you have multiple WF Rules for this entity, this would not be
possible, since they may not be choosing the WF Rule that would have to
perform these validation checks...

MD

"Ross" wrote:

> Thank you Gaurav for your response.
> I'll give your suggestion a go.
>
> "Gaurav Dalal" wrote:
>
> > The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
> > write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
> > then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
> > to the form toolbar as a button
> >
> > "Ross" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
> > > code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
> > > So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
> > > the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
> > > I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
> > > however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
> > > messages back to a Web client.
> > > Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
> > > situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
> > > “Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
> > > Thank you in advance.

0
MD1 (196)
1/15/2009 5:46:55 PM
Thank you MD, for your reply. We only have the one WF rule for the Entity so
your solution should work. Thanks again.

"MD" wrote:

> If this is the only WF Rule for the entity, you can intercept the OnClick
> event for the "Apply Rule" button, run your validation checks in JScript, and
> if they are valid, allow the "Apply Rule" action continue, else, display an
> alert message, set the focus to that field and cancel the Apply Rule event.
>
> All this can be done in the OnLoad event and calling the function on the
> Menu Item's OnClick event. The trick is finding Menu item name, action, etc
> in the Form's code.
>
> Now, if you have multiple WF Rules for this entity, this would not be
> possible, since they may not be choosing the WF Rule that would have to
> perform these validation checks...
>

> MD
>

> "Ross" wrote:
>
> > Thank you Gaurav for your response.
> > I'll give your suggestion a go.
> >
> > "Gaurav Dalal" wrote:
> >
> > > The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
> > > write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
> > > then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
> > > to the form toolbar as a button

0
Ross (104)
1/16/2009 12:44:01 AM
Hi Gaurav

I have built a web page where validate the UI fields and designed a button
on CRM account card to invoke it, but I do not know how to trigger a workflow
in C#. Do you have any sample code I can study?

Thanks and regards

Sky

"Gaurav Dalal" wrote:

> The Workflow layer has no link to the UI layer of the application. You could
> write a custom web page, which can check the UI fields of the form first and
> then trigger the workflow through the web services. This page could be added
> to the form toolbar as a button
>
> "Ross" wrote:
>
> > I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow
> > code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client.
> > So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to
> > the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding"
> > I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager,
> > however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up
> > messages back to a Web client.
> > Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this
> > situation, because it is only when the workflow event is triggered via
> > “Actions” – “Apply Rule” that I need to perform the field validation.
> > Thank you in advance.

0
Sky (7)

workflow rule - customer's first order
I have difficulty in creating a workflow rule for creating an activity when a new customer makes a first order. Can somebody help me out!! You could do it using .net workflow assemblies. Take a look to CRM's SDK. -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "Prity" escribió: > I have difficulty in creating a workflow rule for creating an activity > when a new customer makes a first order. > Can somebody help me out!! > > I dont want to use SDK and wants to implement client's requirements through customizations and workflow processe...

BUG: Validating datasets written from a generated strong-typed dataset
I have a pretty simple XSD schema: ******************************************** * XSD SCHEMA ******************************************** <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <xs:schema id="PageHitStatistics" targetNamespace="urn:PageHitStatistics" elementFormDefault="qualified" xmlns="urn:PageHitStatistics" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"> <xs:complexType name="CounterDef"> <xs:attr...

Secure Messaging (signed and encrypted) with external/interdivisional Recipients using Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003
I currently have to evaluate a solution for a signed and encrypted Exchange 2003 (SP2)Outlook 2003 (SP2) messaging environment, externally to the internet and "network internally" with other divisions (which are not trusted into our Win2003 Forest/Exchange 2003 Org.). MS PKI is in place and is used within our Forest/Exchange Org for secure messaging. My questions here are: Are there any possibilities for external, secure messaging (digitally signed and encrypted) using the existing MS PKI Infrastructure? Would a MS PKI cross certification infrastructure work with external internet ...

"Publisher has detected a problem in the file" error message 11009
"Publisher has detected a problem in the file you are trying to open. To protect your computer, Publisher will not open the file." "Was this information helpful?" What? What information? Four days working on a brochure and now I can't open it! Any suggestions or places to start? Note possible related event. This occurred after deleting McAfee Security software, and the file has internal hyperlinks (hyperlinks to pages within document" Do you know anyone else with Publisher? Send it to them and see if they can open it. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [P...

import from express is missing 90% of messages
I'm trying to move to outlook 2003 from express 6, and no matter which way i try to move the mail messages (from express -> 2003 or pull into 2003 from express) its only grabbing 60ish messages of 1726 total. They range from may to july of this year when the whole file has mail from today back to sometime in 2000. Anyone know any other way I can migrate mail from express into 2003? thats the correct way, export OE > OL, are the msgs in seperate identities purchance? "Holden" <craymore@home.com> wrote in message news:Xns9896EA240F165beHoldenhomecom@216.196.9...

What event does a hotkey generate?
All, I have a date field in a form that has vba code attached to the 'after update' event. Then I setup a hotkey to auto the current date in the same field. The problem I am having is that when I hit the hotkey sequence the field is populated with the current date - however my vba code does not work. Any idea what event the population of the field by a hotkey produces? Thanks for you help. On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:30:00 -0800, Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: None. And for good reason. Programmatic filling of fields typically does not trigger any event. So you rewrite...

Workflow Process Questions
Can anyone who has worked with workflow processes for a while answer these questions for me: 1. How do I implement an "OR" condition? I have used nested IFs but is there a better way? 2. Is there any way to print out or otherwise create a copy of your work flow rules? 3. How do you backup/restore workflow rules for disaster recovery? Thanks Dave Dave not being able to printout a workflow is a pain..especially a sales process. It may be possible to do this either using the sdk or crystal reports. CRM 1.2 has a export tool for workflows. I cannot remember whether it is on t...

http://LongPathTool.com
http://LongPathTool.com - Copy, Unlock and Delete Path Too Long files Do you have error messages?, like : Path too long. Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk Cannot delete file: Access is denied There has been a sharing violation. Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name. The source or destination file may be in use. The file is in use by another program or user. Error Deleting File or Folder Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use. Error Copyi...

New Message Notification #2
I use Outlook 2003. When a new email message arrives, I want either to have an icon show up in my system tray or a box show up on my screen (you've got mail). I have checked the box for the icon to appear, but nothing happens. I haven't found an option to choose for the box to appear - and remain - on my screen. Any ideas? Thanks. Ken, In Outlook 2003, you can go to Tools-> Options -> E-mail Options -> Advanced E-Mail Options to find settings on e-mail notification. You can play a sound, briefly change the mouse cursor, show an envelope in the notification area, an...

email stuck in outbox: receiving error message
My emails are stuck in my outbox. They do send to the recepient, but never switch over to my sent box. Go to the 'Tools' menu, then options. In the first / 'Preferences' window that appears (tab shown at the top) click on 'E-mail Options'. Make sure there's a check mark in the box that says 'Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder'. If this is already done, you might want to note the exact text of the error message and do a search in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. >-----Original Message----- >My emails are stuck in my outbox. They do s...

how to handle reflected message in parent?
i have a CComboBox and want to handle CBN_SELCHANGE in control and give the parent the chance to handle it also. problem is that the ClassWiz generated handler CN_CONTROL(CBN_SELCHANGE, OnSelchange) in my control looks like this: afx_msg void OnSelchange(); , so i cant return a BOOL to say: "forward to parent". how do i do this? in msdn, i didnt find any usefull info.... Yes you can. Change the handler to handle a reflected message, change the return type to BOOL. It's called "editing". See my essay on handling reflected messages in my MSDN Errors and Omissions po...

Workflow against System Created Object
Hello World! I have built similar workflow in the past, but this one is stumbling me! My scenario: We are using c360 Email Marketing - When a "Communication Audit" is created I need to email the "Contacts Owner". When a "User" creates a "Communication Audit" my workflow runs smoothly. But when the Audit is created by the "System" the workflow doesn't run. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in Advance Anthony On May 30, 9:29=A0am, awakin <awa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello World! > > I have built simil...

Multiple messages for single selection change in list control
Hi, In the handler of LVN_ITEMCHANGING (OnItemChanging...()), how can I deduce which messages belong to the same event? I am interested in the change of an item selection state, but it seems that an irregular number of messages are sent for one such event. In some cases I would like to substitute *pResult = TRUE in order to cancel the change, but I still receive the rest of the messages for that same event. For those messages I should also set *pResult = TRUE, but how can I know which messages belong to the same event? I cannot figure out the logic of the number of messages sent for a single ...

determining which control fires a message
Hello, I have a simple dialog app with a number of buttons. Each button performs basically the same function. I want to have each BN_CLICKED message call the same function, determine which button was pressed, and act accordingly. I can't seem to find a way to trace back to the message- generating button's ID. Is this possible? Thanks, J. Look up ON_CONROL_RANGE macro. Ali R. "J Crafton" <jccrafton@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:039f01c39e50$cbce67e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have a simple dialog app with a number of buttons. &g...

Email as message
Hi there, I need to send out a newsletter for my work that includes hyperlinks. Emailing as an attachment is not an option I need. I've tried grouping all images and pasting into the content of a new email but then the hyperlinks don't work. I've also noticed that the graphics come out blurry. My problem is Publisher won't let me "Send this page as message" because it's not in my "File" menu. When I try to add it to the "File" menu (or any tool bar for that matter) using the Tools/Customize drag and drop of icons it will drag the ic...

outlook 2000
running on home computer, no exhange or server. when I open an inbox message and close it, the message disappears, it isnt in other folders or in delteld files folder. If I move the message to another folder before opening it, then open the message in that folder, I am fine I can open and close it without losing it. I have been running everything fine for a couple of years now, only in the last moth did this start happening. I have reformatted and reloaded my computer, it doesnt help. I have taken mirosoft outlook express off the computer, that doesnt help either. I only have o...

retrieve deleted messages?
Is there a way to restore or retrieve a permanently deleted message from Outlook 2002 that uses a POP server? I held the shift key and hit delete without realizing that I shouldn't have done so!! Natively? Not unless you had made a backup, unfortunately. I've heard of a third party solution that purports to do this but I don't have it handy....perhaps someone else will respond. pooch wrote: > Is there a way to restore or retrieve a permanently > deleted message from Outlook 2002 that uses a POP server? > > I held the shift key and hit delete without realizing that ...

Error Message: Cannot start outlook after clicking a webpage link
When going to a website, if I try to click on a person's name to send that person an email using Outlook 07, I get an error that says: "Cannot start microsoft outlook" HELP! Can you start Outlook normally from the Start Menu? "chmoee" <chmoee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85209C75-2A81-4BB1-8866-22D7B1E48EBD@microsoft.com... > When going to a website, if I try to click on a person's name to send that > person an email using Outlook 07, I get an error that says: "Cannot start > microsoft outlook" > HELP! Yes, I c...

Sent items separates messages
Hi: I have a contact in my address book with the full name of "Steve Smith" and an email address of "ssmith@hiscompany.com" When I receive email messages from Steve, in my inbox, his messages show up with the "From" name of "Steve Smith" - exactly as I would expect. If I REPLY to a message from Steve, then in my "Sent Items" folder, the message sometimes appears with the "To" name of ssmith@hiscompany.com and other times it appears with the "To" name of 'ssmith@hiscompany.com' (notice the single q...

changing default message view in Outlook XP
hello, I cannot change the default view in new/replied/forwarded messages in Outlook XP, while using Word as Editor. I'm trying to choose "Normal View" but it always gets back to "Web Layout View" after closing the program. thanks in advance, Kelly Kelly- I have similar problem that just started. I use Office 2000 and Word as my email editor. When I click on NEW in Outlook and a blank msg comes up for me to compose it now always comes up in Web Layout View. It used to always be in Normal view. No matter what I do, via Outlook or Word, it still defaults...

POP Connector in SBS
Is it possible to install the pop connector shipped with sbs2003, in standard edition of exchange? i thin it worked well, and i don't like 3party software on my server. Martin wrote: > Is it possible to install the pop connector shipped with sbs2003, in > standard edition of exchange? No. > i thin it worked well, and i don't like > 3party software on my server. You can host your domain's mail yourself without the bother and extra stuff to go wrong... ...

Exchange 2000 logging messages received & sent
Hello... I'm fairly new to Exchange 2000 and I need to figure out if it offers any way to log the messages received and the messages sent. I'm hoping for some sort of logging functionality like IIS has. I need to be able to programmatically get access to the log (txt, xml, specific APIs) and verify that a message was received by the server and to further verify that the message was sent via the server. Specific APIs would be the best, but I can also parse or do regular expressions on text/xml as well. Thanks in advance, Roger This information is stored in message tracking logs. I...

I want to get rid of this message!
"The contents of this appointment have been updated." Office 2009, WinXP Please Help! Wendy Oops.....I meant Office 2007! "Wendymel" wrote: > "The contents of this appointment have been updated." > > Office 2009, WinXP > > Please Help! > > Wendy Under what circumstances are you seeing that message? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4la...

Blank message #2
When i do send messages it well show the subject , but will not show any thing there for the reader. I know someone experiencing exactly the same problem in my office with MS Outlook 2003. He has lost numerous emails this way. After composing a message, many of them long, and sending it, the body is apparently deleted upon sending. If anyone has a solution, please email me. Remove the nospam ZZZ in my email address. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >When i do send messages it well show the subject , but >will not show any thing there for the reader. > >. > ...

Bounce message
I am using exchange server 2003. One of my user is facing a strange problem. Once in abt 15-20 days one or two of her mails bounce giving the following error...... The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Rajat Adhikari on 4/12/2004 10:44 PM Remote could not copy the local message to the server for submission.Network problems are preventing connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. Bitra George on 4/12/2004 10:44 PM Remote could not copy the local message to the server for submission.Network problems are preventing connection to ...