workflow fires twice - triggered from status change on quotes

I have a workflow associated with quotes that is set to fire when the status 
changes. The first line of the workflow checks the status. If the status is 
not won, the workflow cancels, if the status equals won, then the steps 
continue.

The workflow fires twice most of the time. Both of the workflows that fire 
say they fired because a record attribute changed.

I even created a very simple test workflow to rule out an issue with any of 
the steps in my real workflow as being part of the issue.

What people are doing is taking a draft quote and activating it, then 
turning the draft quote into a sales order. The process (OOTB) of turning a 
quote into a sales order automatically marks the quote as status won.

The workflow fires twice for the users every time.

Here's the really weird thing, the workflow only fires once when I go 
through the same process. (I'm a sys admin and the owner of the workflow but 
I don't see why that would matter)

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks
0
mark564 (750)
7/22/2010 5:27:17 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

9 Replies
1733 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

On Jul 22, 10:27=A0am, Mark <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a workflow associated with quotes that is set to fire when the sta=
tus
> changes. The first line of the workflow checks the status. If the status =
is
> not won, the workflow cancels, if the status equals won, then the steps
> continue.
>
> The workflow fires twice most of the time. Both of the workflows that fir=
e
> say they fired because a record attribute changed.
>
> I even created a very simple test workflow to rule out an issue with any =
of
> the steps in my real workflow as being part of the issue.
>
> What people are doing is taking a draft quote and activating it, then
> turning the draft quote into a sales order. The process (OOTB) of turning=
 a
> quote into a sales order automatically marks the quote as status won.
>
> The workflow fires twice for the users every time.
>
> Here's the really weird thing, the workflow only fires once when I go
> through the same process. (I'm a sys admin and the owner of the workflow =
but
> I don't see why that would matter)
>
> Has anyone come across this before?
>
> Thanks

Mark,
When your users activate a draft quote, that changes the status.  Then
when they turn it into the sales order, the status changes again.  So,
the workflow should run twice, and stop at your first IF when they
activate it, and then complete the workflow when they convert it to an
order.  Open up the workflows attached to the quote, you should be
able to see this behavior.

It doesn't make sense that it only fires once for you.  As workflows
are asynchronous (don't happen immediately), I suspect you may not be
waiting long enough to see that second workflow fire.

HTH,
Dave


-------------------------------------------
David L. Carr, President
Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
Certified Microsoft CRM 4.0 Consultant
Cell: 503-351-4207
Email: davidlcarr@earthlink.net
http://www.vscrm.com

0
davidlcarr (94)
7/23/2010 3:25:45 PM
Dave, thank you for your reply.

If I activate the quote and do nothing more, the workflow fires once and 
cancels (because the status is not won).

If one of my users activates the quote and does nothing more, the workflow 
fires twice and cancels twice.

Then if I wait for however long (long enough for any workflow processing to 
finish) and convert the quote to a sales order, the workflow fires once and 
succeeds because the status is won.

If one of my users does exactly the same thing and converts the quote to a 
sales order, the workflow fires twice and suceeds twice.

Its very strange behavior (the firing twice) and it does it with both my 
production workflow and my test workflow.

"Dave" wrote:

> On Jul 22, 10:27 am, Mark <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have a workflow associated with quotes that is set to fire when the status
> > changes. The first line of the workflow checks the status. If the status is
> > not won, the workflow cancels, if the status equals won, then the steps
> > continue.
> >
> > The workflow fires twice most of the time. Both of the workflows that fire
> > say they fired because a record attribute changed.
> >
> > I even created a very simple test workflow to rule out an issue with any of
> > the steps in my real workflow as being part of the issue.
> >
> > What people are doing is taking a draft quote and activating it, then
> > turning the draft quote into a sales order. The process (OOTB) of turning a
> > quote into a sales order automatically marks the quote as status won.
> >
> > The workflow fires twice for the users every time.
> >
> > Here's the really weird thing, the workflow only fires once when I go
> > through the same process. (I'm a sys admin and the owner of the workflow but
> > I don't see why that would matter)
> >
> > Has anyone come across this before?
> >
> > Thanks
> 
> Mark,
> When your users activate a draft quote, that changes the status.  Then
> when they turn it into the sales order, the status changes again.  So,
> the workflow should run twice, and stop at your first IF when they
> activate it, and then complete the workflow when they convert it to an
> order.  Open up the workflows attached to the quote, you should be
> able to see this behavior.
> 
> It doesn't make sense that it only fires once for you.  As workflows
> are asynchronous (don't happen immediately), I suspect you may not be
> waiting long enough to see that second workflow fire.
> 
> HTH,
> Dave
> 
> 
> -------------------------------------------
> David L. Carr, President
> Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
> Certified Microsoft CRM 4.0 Consultant
> Cell: 503-351-4207
> Email: davidlcarr@earthlink.net
> http://www.vscrm.com
> 
> .
> 
0
mark564 (750)
7/23/2010 10:32:26 PM
On Jul 23, 3:32=A0pm, Mark <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Dave, thank you for your reply.
>
> If I activate the quote and do nothing more, the workflow fires once and
> cancels (because the status is not won).
>
> If one of my users activates the quote and does nothing more, the workflo=
w
> fires twice and cancels twice.
>
> Then if I wait for however long (long enough for any workflow processing =
to
> finish) and convert the quote to a sales order, the workflow fires once a=
nd
> succeeds because the status is won.
>
> If one of my users does exactly the same thing and converts the quote to =
a
> sales order, the workflow fires twice and suceeds twice.
>
> Its very strange behavior (the firing twice) and it does it with both my
> production workflow and my test workflow.
>
>
>
> "Dave" wrote:
> > On Jul 22, 10:27 am, Mark <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > I have a workflow associated with quotes that is set to fire when the=
 status
> > > changes. The first line of the workflow checks the status. If the sta=
tus is
> > > not won, the workflow cancels, if the status equals won, then the ste=
ps
> > > continue.
>
> > > The workflow fires twice most of the time. Both of the workflows that=
 fire
> > > say they fired because a record attribute changed.
>
> > > I even created a very simple test workflow to rule out an issue with =
any of
> > > the steps in my real workflow as being part of the issue.
>
> > > What people are doing is taking a draft quote and activating it, then
> > > turning the draft quote into a sales order. The process (OOTB) of tur=
ning a
> > > quote into a sales order automatically marks the quote as status won.
>
> > > The workflow fires twice for the users every time.
>
> > > Here's the really weird thing, the workflow only fires once when I go
> > > through the same process. (I'm a sys admin and the owner of the workf=
low but
> > > I don't see why that would matter)
>
> > > Has anyone come across this before?
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > Mark,
> > When your users activate a draft quote, that changes the status. =A0The=
n
> > when they turn it into the sales order, the status changes again. =A0So=
,
> > the workflow should run twice, and stop at your first IF when they
> > activate it, and then complete the workflow when they convert it to an
> > order. =A0Open up the workflows attached to the quote, you should be
> > able to see this behavior.
>
> > It doesn't make sense that it only fires once for you. =A0As workflows
> > are asynchronous (don't happen immediately), I suspect you may not be
> > waiting long enough to see that second workflow fire.
>
> > HTH,
> > Dave
>
> > -------------------------------------------
> > David L. Carr, President
> > Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
> > Certified Microsoft CRM 4.0 Consultant
> > Cell: 503-351-4207
> > Email: davidlc...@earthlink.net
> >http://www.vscrm.com
>
> > .- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Wow, that IS strange...  whenever I start seeing double like that, I
know it's time for new glasses...  You might want to log a call with
MS on this one.  Especially because, if I'm reading this right, the
convert of quote to sales order fires twice and works both times?
I'm thinking it should not succeed the second time, because you
shouldn't be able to modify a closed/won quote...

But, if you want to continue to try to debug this, let's get more
info....
What is the workflow's scope? Organization?
What have you checked under "Start When"?  Record Status Changes?
(And if you fire on a field change, which fields?)
Is it an on-demand workflow, or a child of another workflow?
Does it call any other workflows within it?

Dave
0
davidlcarr (94)
7/25/2010 4:49:16 PM
Hi Dave, thank you for your help and effort with this. Hopefully if we fix it 
others will benefit!

The workflow is set to the organization level.
It is set to fire when "record status changes".
I do have on demand checked but that was only to test the workflow 
previously. I know my users are not running the workflow manually.
The workflow does fire a child workflow (that creates a customer survey 
record).
Interesting note, the workflow used to fire on change of a picklist (and a 
specific value in the picklist) but I removed that setting on the workflow 
because users were not always updating said picklist. The status change to 
won is a more reliable trigger.

There is a bit field on quotes, lets just call it yes or no.

The first step of the workflow checks the value of this field (the bit field 
is formatted as a list as I know that the other formatting methods for bit 
fields have issues with workflows).
If the value is not equal to yes, the worklow cancels.
If the value is equal to yes, the workflow continues.
Next, if the value is yes, the workflow checks the status of the quote.
If it is not equal to yes, the workflow cancels.
If it is equal to yes, the workflow continues.

The purpose of the workflow is not to update any fields on the quote but to 
create a new related record through a child workflow (I have built a customer 
survey feature into CRM and the survey is created when a quote is won).

So, to summarize:
If that bit value equals no, the workflow cancels as it should. But it fires 
twice.
If the bit value equals yes, the workflow checks the status and if is not 
won, it cancels as it should. But it fires twice.
If the bit value equals yes, the workflow checkes the status and if it is 
won, it creates the survey record as it should. But it fires twice and 
creates two survey records.
It fires twice for everyone except me.
I created a very simple test workflow that had very few steps in it and it 
also fired twice.

Thanks,
Mark
"Dave" wrote:

> On Jul 23, 3:32 pm, Mark <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Dave, thank you for your reply.
> >
> > If I activate the quote and do nothing more, the workflow fires once and
> > cancels (because the status is not won).
> >
> > If one of my users activates the quote and does nothing more, the workflow
> > fires twice and cancels twice.
> >
> > Then if I wait for however long (long enough for any workflow processing to
> > finish) and convert the quote to a sales order, the workflow fires once and
> > succeeds because the status is won.
> >
> > If one of my users does exactly the same thing and converts the quote to a
> > sales order, the workflow fires twice and suceeds twice.
> >
> > Its very strange behavior (the firing twice) and it does it with both my
> > production workflow and my test workflow.
> >
> >
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> > > On Jul 22, 10:27 am, Mark <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > > I have a workflow associated with quotes that is set to fire when the status
> > > > changes. The first line of the workflow checks the status. If the status is
> > > > not won, the workflow cancels, if the status equals won, then the steps
> > > > continue.
> >
> > > > The workflow fires twice most of the time. Both of the workflows that fire
> > > > say they fired because a record attribute changed.
> >
> > > > I even created a very simple test workflow to rule out an issue with any of
> > > > the steps in my real workflow as being part of the issue.
> >
> > > > What people are doing is taking a draft quote and activating it, then
> > > > turning the draft quote into a sales order. The process (OOTB) of turning a
> > > > quote into a sales order automatically marks the quote as status won.
> >
> > > > The workflow fires twice for the users every time.
> >
> > > > Here's the really weird thing, the workflow only fires once when I go
> > > > through the same process. (I'm a sys admin and the owner of the workflow but
> > > > I don't see why that would matter)
> >
> > > > Has anyone come across this before?
> >
> > > > Thanks
> >
> > > Mark,
> > > When your users activate a draft quote, that changes the status.  Then
> > > when they turn it into the sales order, the status changes again.  So,
> > > the workflow should run twice, and stop at your first IF when they
> > > activate it, and then complete the workflow when they convert it to an
> > > order.  Open up the workflows attached to the quote, you should be
> > > able to see this behavior.
> >
> > > It doesn't make sense that it only fires once for you.  As workflows
> > > are asynchronous (don't happen immediately), I suspect you may not be
> > > waiting long enough to see that second workflow fire.
> >
> > > HTH,
> > > Dave
> >
> > > -------------------------------------------
> > > David L. Carr, President
> > > Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
> > > Certified Microsoft CRM 4.0 Consultant
> > > Cell: 503-351-4207
> > > Email: davidlc...@earthlink.net
> > >http://www.vscrm.com
> >
> > > .- Hide quoted text -
> >
> > - Show quoted text -
> 
> Wow, that IS strange...  whenever I start seeing double like that, I
> know it's time for new glasses...  You might want to log a call with
> MS on this one.  Especially because, if I'm reading this right, the
> convert of quote to sales order fires twice and works both times?
> I'm thinking it should not succeed the second time, because you
> shouldn't be able to modify a closed/won quote...
> 
> But, if you want to continue to try to debug this, let's get more
> info....
> What is the workflow's scope? Organization?
> What have you checked under "Start When"?  Record Status Changes?
> (And if you fire on a field change, which fields?)
> Is it an on-demand workflow, or a child of another workflow?
> Does it call any other workflows within it?
> 
> Dave
> .
> 
0
mark564 (750)
7/26/2010 4:50:50 PM
On Jul 26, 9:50=A0am, Mark <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave, thank you for your help and effort with this. Hopefully if we fi=
x it
> others will benefit!
>
> The workflow is set to the organization level.
> It is set to fire when "record status changes".
> I do have on demand checked but that was only to test the workflow
> previously. I know my users are not running the workflow manually.
> The workflow does fire a child workflow (that creates a customer survey
> record).
> Interesting note, the workflow used to fire on change of a picklist (and =
a
> specific value in the picklist) but I removed that setting on the workflo=
w
> because users were not always updating said picklist. The status change t=
o
> won is a more reliable trigger.
>
> There is a bit field on quotes, lets just call it yes or no.
>
> The first step of the workflow checks the value of this field (the bit fi=
eld
> is formatted as a list as I know that the other formatting methods for bi=
t
> fields have issues with workflows).
> If the value is not equal to yes, the worklow cancels.
> If the value is equal to yes, the workflow continues.
> Next, if the value is yes, the workflow checks the status of the quote.
> If it is not equal to yes, the workflow cancels.
> If it is equal to yes, the workflow continues.
>
> The purpose of the workflow is not to update any fields on the quote but =
to
> create a new related record through a child workflow (I have built a cust=
omer
> survey feature into CRM and the survey is created when a quote is won).
>
> So, to summarize:
> If that bit value equals no, the workflow cancels as it should. But it fi=
res
> twice.
> If the bit value equals yes, the workflow checks the status and if is not
> won, it cancels as it should. But it fires twice.
> If the bit value equals yes, the workflow checkes the status and if it is
> won, it creates the survey record as it should. But it fires twice and
> creates two survey records.
> It fires twice for everyone except me.
> I created a very simple test workflow that had very few steps in it and i=
t
> also fired twice.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>

Mark,
Definitely strange behavior.  I've never seen workflows fire twice,
but the status change one is fairly tricky.  I was thinking it might
have been a status and a field update were both firing but that
doesn't seem to be the case.

I have one simple idea for you, besides logging this with MS...
(Assuming all you want to do is create one survey, and can live with
the workflow running spuriously).

Before you create the survey (in the workflow), add a conditional
check to see if it exists for this quote... (If you have a 1:N
relationship between quote and survey, you should be able to look down
to the quote...  If not, grab the quote_number or name (some uniquei
identifier of the quote), and copy that value to the survey when it is
created.)  Then, when the second run ones, it will find that first
one, and not create the survey.  (Now, as workflows fires
asynchronously and unpredictably, you may occassionally get two
surveys to be created, but it should be a rare event...)

All I can think is that there must be something strange happening
inside the 'hidden code' that runs when you click that convert quote
button...  I'd still suggest calling MS to get to the bottom of
this...  but hopefully the workaround above will help in the
meantime.   Please post to this thread when solved...  Thanks,

Dave
0
davidlcarr (94)
7/27/2010 3:31:44 PM
Hi Dave, (I wish the email notification for updates was working for this 
thread...)

I'm intrigued by your suggestion but I'm not following how I would check for 
the existence of a survey related to the quote.

The relationship is one quote to many surveys.

My workflow is related to quotes and so is the child that creates the survey 
when the parent tells it to (the one that is firing twice).

I'm not sure how I can check using a workflow for the existence of one or 
more many records associated to the one? I was always under the impression 
that you could only update the one from the many using workflows but not the 
other way around.

What I was thinking (prompted by your suggestion) is to add a field to the 
quote, a simple yes/no. When a survey is created that flag would flip to yes. 
Then have the worklow check that flag and if its yes, don't fire the child 
that creates the survey. The only issue here, like you said, is that the 
workflow could well fire a second time before the yes/no field is updated.

Can you let me know how you implement your suggestion of checking for the 
existence of a survey?

Thanks again.

Mark

"Dave" wrote:

> On Jul 26, 9:50 am, Mark <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Hi Dave, thank you for your help and effort with this. Hopefully if we fix it
> > others will benefit!
> >
> > The workflow is set to the organization level.
> > It is set to fire when "record status changes".
> > I do have on demand checked but that was only to test the workflow
> > previously. I know my users are not running the workflow manually.
> > The workflow does fire a child workflow (that creates a customer survey
> > record).
> > Interesting note, the workflow used to fire on change of a picklist (and a
> > specific value in the picklist) but I removed that setting on the workflow
> > because users were not always updating said picklist. The status change to
> > won is a more reliable trigger.
> >
> > There is a bit field on quotes, lets just call it yes or no.
> >
> > The first step of the workflow checks the value of this field (the bit field
> > is formatted as a list as I know that the other formatting methods for bit
> > fields have issues with workflows).
> > If the value is not equal to yes, the worklow cancels.
> > If the value is equal to yes, the workflow continues.
> > Next, if the value is yes, the workflow checks the status of the quote.
> > If it is not equal to yes, the workflow cancels.
> > If it is equal to yes, the workflow continues.
> >
> > The purpose of the workflow is not to update any fields on the quote but to
> > create a new related record through a child workflow (I have built a customer
> > survey feature into CRM and the survey is created when a quote is won).
> >
> > So, to summarize:
> > If that bit value equals no, the workflow cancels as it should. But it fires
> > twice.
> > If the bit value equals yes, the workflow checks the status and if is not
> > won, it cancels as it should. But it fires twice.
> > If the bit value equals yes, the workflow checkes the status and if it is
> > won, it creates the survey record as it should. But it fires twice and
> > creates two survey records.
> > It fires twice for everyone except me.
> > I created a very simple test workflow that had very few steps in it and it
> > also fired twice.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
> >
> 
> Mark,
> Definitely strange behavior.  I've never seen workflows fire twice,
> but the status change one is fairly tricky.  I was thinking it might
> have been a status and a field update were both firing but that
> doesn't seem to be the case.
> 
> I have one simple idea for you, besides logging this with MS...
> (Assuming all you want to do is create one survey, and can live with
> the workflow running spuriously).
> 
> Before you create the survey (in the workflow), add a conditional
> check to see if it exists for this quote... (If you have a 1:N
> relationship between quote and survey, you should be able to look down
> to the quote...  If not, grab the quote_number or name (some uniquei
> identifier of the quote), and copy that value to the survey when it is
> created.)  Then, when the second run ones, it will find that first
> one, and not create the survey.  (Now, as workflows fires
> asynchronously and unpredictably, you may occassionally get two
> surveys to be created, but it should be a rare event...)
> 
> All I can think is that there must be something strange happening
> inside the 'hidden code' that runs when you click that convert quote
> button...  I'd still suggest calling MS to get to the bottom of
> this...  but hopefully the workaround above will help in the
> meantime.   Please post to this thread when solved...  Thanks,
> 
> Dave
> .
> 
0
mark564 (750)
7/28/2010 6:08:18 PM
Mark, I think your description is what Dave was trying to say (I 
certainly read it the way you describe, using the child creation to 
"flag" the quote as already processed.

As a bonus (thinking ahead), you could use a date field rather than a 
bit field, and record the date the survey was created. This would give 
you the ability to choose to generate a second survey anyway if the 
previous one was a long time ago, rather than never doing a second one. 
This might be overkill in your scenario, depending on how long your 
sales cycles are.

Adam

On 28/07/2010 19:08, Mark wrote:
> Hi Dave, (I wish the email notification for updates was working for this
> thread...)
>
> I'm intrigued by your suggestion but I'm not following how I would check for
> the existence of a survey related to the quote.
>
> The relationship is one quote to many surveys.
>
> My workflow is related to quotes and so is the child that creates the survey
> when the parent tells it to (the one that is firing twice).
>
> I'm not sure how I can check using a workflow for the existence of one or
> more many records associated to the one? I was always under the impression
> that you could only update the one from the many using workflows but not the
> other way around.
>
> What I was thinking (prompted by your suggestion) is to add a field to the
> quote, a simple yes/no. When a survey is created that flag would flip to yes.
> Then have the worklow check that flag and if its yes, don't fire the child
> that creates the survey. The only issue here, like you said, is that the
> workflow could well fire a second time before the yes/no field is updated.
>
> Can you let me know how you implement your suggestion of checking for the
> existence of a survey?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Mark
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> On Jul 26, 9:50 am, Mark<M...@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi Dave, thank you for your help and effort with this. Hopefully if we fix it
>>> others will benefit!
>>>
>>> The workflow is set to the organization level.
>>> It is set to fire when "record status changes".
>>> I do have on demand checked but that was only to test the workflow
>>> previously. I know my users are not running the workflow manually.
>>> The workflow does fire a child workflow (that creates a customer survey
>>> record).
>>> Interesting note, the workflow used to fire on change of a picklist (and a
>>> specific value in the picklist) but I removed that setting on the workflow
>>> because users were not always updating said picklist. The status change to
>>> won is a more reliable trigger.
>>>
>>> There is a bit field on quotes, lets just call it yes or no.
>>>
>>> The first step of the workflow checks the value of this field (the bit field
>>> is formatted as a list as I know that the other formatting methods for bit
>>> fields have issues with workflows).
>>> If the value is not equal to yes, the worklow cancels.
>>> If the value is equal to yes, the workflow continues.
>>> Next, if the value is yes, the workflow checks the status of the quote.
>>> If it is not equal to yes, the workflow cancels.
>>> If it is equal to yes, the workflow continues.
>>>
>>> The purpose of the workflow is not to update any fields on the quote but to
>>> create a new related record through a child workflow (I have built a customer
>>> survey feature into CRM and the survey is created when a quote is won).
>>>
>>> So, to summarize:
>>> If that bit value equals no, the workflow cancels as it should. But it fires
>>> twice.
>>> If the bit value equals yes, the workflow checks the status and if is not
>>> won, it cancels as it should. But it fires twice.
>>> If the bit value equals yes, the workflow checkes the status and if it is
>>> won, it creates the survey record as it should. But it fires twice and
>>> creates two survey records.
>>> It fires twice for everyone except me.
>>> I created a very simple test workflow that had very few steps in it and it
>>> also fired twice.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>>>
>>
>> Mark,
>> Definitely strange behavior.  I've never seen workflows fire twice,
>> but the status change one is fairly tricky.  I was thinking it might
>> have been a status and a field update were both firing but that
>> doesn't seem to be the case.
>>
>> I have one simple idea for you, besides logging this with MS...
>> (Assuming all you want to do is create one survey, and can live with
>> the workflow running spuriously).
>>
>> Before you create the survey (in the workflow), add a conditional
>> check to see if it exists for this quote... (If you have a 1:N
>> relationship between quote and survey, you should be able to look down
>> to the quote...  If not, grab the quote_number or name (some uniquei
>> identifier of the quote), and copy that value to the survey when it is
>> created.)  Then, when the second run ones, it will find that first
>> one, and not create the survey.  (Now, as workflows fires
>> asynchronously and unpredictably, you may occassionally get two
>> surveys to be created, but it should be a rare event...)
>>
>> All I can think is that there must be something strange happening
>> inside the 'hidden code' that runs when you click that convert quote
>> button...  I'd still suggest calling MS to get to the bottom of
>> this...  but hopefully the workaround above will help in the
>> meantime.   Please post to this thread when solved...  Thanks,
>>
>> Dave
>> .
>>
0
nospam966 (79)
8/2/2010 10:10:24 AM
Mark,
You are correct, you can't "look down" as I put it, within a standard
workflow, you can only "look up"  (Except when you do things like
creating activities from a workflow, then you can test the existence
of that activity within the same workflow.  But I don't think that
would work here, because the survey would be created by a different
opportunity workflow)...

In any event, your idea of the bit on the quote (or Adam's idea of
using a date field) is probably the easiest way out. I have been
working with online recently, so I can't remember if standard workflow
in 4.0 allows you to compare two fields (like online does)  So,what
your workflow could look like is something like this:

1) Check to see if that date on the quote (Survey Create Date?) is
filled in.
2) If not, Update the quote attribute "Survey Create Date" to the
workflow execution time value.
3) Wait 05 seconds
4) (In CRM Live, I can actualy compare a field to the workflow
execution time).  If equal, exec your workflow that creates the
survey.  (If not equal, the other workflow got there before you).
(If you can't compare the workflow execution time to the quote survey
create date, then just execute the subprocess that creates your
survey.

The basic principle is that if the first thing you do is set that
flag, then the next workflow coming behind you will see that flag set,
and exit.  You might still get some dupes, but it should be far
fewer.  (And, if you can do that same field to workflow field compare
I just demo'd on my live instance, it should eliminate them
altogether.)

HTH,
Dave



This still won't guarantee you only have one survey
0
davidlcarr (94)
8/2/2010 10:18:56 PM
I find there is sometimes a dilemma.

Approach 1: always set the flag immediately so any possible duplicate 
workflow will be prevented from running. Downside: if for any reason 
your workflow stalls or fails, you have set a flag to indicate it is 
done when in fact this is not true.

Approach 2: always set the flag last (and possibly within a conditional 
test), so you know that everything worked before you set the flag to say 
so. Downside: if a second workflow is triggered before the first has 
completed, the flag is not yet set and you may get things happening twice.

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, preferred methods?

Adam


On 02/08/2010 23:18, Dave wrote:
>
> Mark,
> You are correct, you can't "look down" as I put it, within a standard
> workflow, you can only "look up"  (Except when you do things like
> creating activities from a workflow, then you can test the existence
> of that activity within the same workflow.  But I don't think that
> would work here, because the survey would be created by a different
> opportunity workflow)...
>
> In any event, your idea of the bit on the quote (or Adam's idea of
> using a date field) is probably the easiest way out. I have been
> working with online recently, so I can't remember if standard workflow
> in 4.0 allows you to compare two fields (like online does)  So,what
> your workflow could look like is something like this:
>
> 1) Check to see if that date on the quote (Survey Create Date?) is
> filled in.
> 2) If not, Update the quote attribute "Survey Create Date" to the
> workflow execution time value.
> 3) Wait 05 seconds
> 4) (In CRM Live, I can actualy compare a field to the workflow
> execution time).  If equal, exec your workflow that creates the
> survey.  (If not equal, the other workflow got there before you).
> (If you can't compare the workflow execution time to the quote survey
> create date, then just execute the subprocess that creates your
> survey.
>
> The basic principle is that if the first thing you do is set that
> flag, then the next workflow coming behind you will see that flag set,
> and exit.  You might still get some dupes, but it should be far
> fewer.  (And, if you can do that same field to workflow field compare
> I just demo'd on my live instance, it should eliminate them
> altogether.)
>
> HTH,
> Dave
>
>
>
> This still won't guarantee you only have one survey
0
nospam966 (79)
8/4/2010 9:15:48 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Changing DB Column Names
Hey folks, I've reversed engineered a SQL Server database into Visio. There are alot of database column names I'd like to change however there are alot of Stored Procedures that reference the old names. Is there a way to make Visio update my Stored Procedures whenever I change a database column name? Thanks! not being terribly familiar with how stored procedures calls are built (clueless), I'd start with the question can they be accessed via VBA externally? AFAIK Visio has no native support for playing with stored procedure calls. Al "John Smith" <js@no.com&g...

workflow assembly vs. workflow bulk import
hi, i have a question concerning the account the workflow service is supposed to run at. I developed a Workflow Assembly which creates an Activity in CRM. I realized - maybe because of bad configuration - that the workflow service has to be run at a crm user account to work. Is this true or is local system also possible? Because now we realized that Bulk import only works when the Local System account is used for Workflow Service. Big Problem. Anybody with a similar problem and a resolution? martin ...

Search Preferences Don't Save When Changed
I've been experiencing some annoying behavior in Excel. Everytime I open the search/replace dialog, the Options panel is hidden and "Match entire cell contents" is selected. I know it's not a default, but everytime I uncheck it, Excel doesn't save that change for the next time I run Excel. What can I do so that whatever I change is set to default the next time I run the app? Maybe you could have a dummy workbook that you put in your XLStart folder that does a Find with the settings you like: Option Explicit Sub auto_open() Worksheets("sheet1").Ce...

Help requested to construct this workflow rule...
We have a custom field on Account Detail screen where "Contract Expiry Date" is captured. We would like to create a work flow rule which will send an alert email to the Account Owner six months before the "Contract Expiry Date". We are putting our heads around on how to create this rule but could not achieve a result. Can someone guide us to the right direction? We will appreciate your help. I'm not sure if this works on custom attributes, haven't tested that. But, if it does then you could do this using a "Wait for Timer" condition. You set the time...

Using the lookup attribute twice problem
Hi, I created a relationship attribute (Many-to-1) in a custom entity, so it will be a lookup field in the form. Now, I noticed that I can only use this lookup attribute once in a form, but the requirement is to use the same lookup field in the same form twice, first is for the Contact text field (lookup) and second, is for the Assistant text field (lookup), which both fields uses the Contact entity. Any ideas? On May 9, 11:47 pm, "Benjamin Fallar III" <fal...@pldtdsl.net> wrote: > Hi, I created a relationship attribute (Many-to-1) in a custom entity, so it > will...

change year date #2
i have a data that has dates that show up as 4/25/200, 4/25/2020 and 4/25/200 How do I get the year to show up as 4/25/2006 in the entire data? Please do not post to more than one group in different postings. See my answer in other newsgroup -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "kevin" <kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCE6B0BB-2FEB-4807-B6AD-96D8570B0EBC@microsoft.com... >i have a data that has dates that show up as 4/25/200, 4/25/2020 and >4/25/200 > > How do I get the year to show up as 4/25/2006 in the entire data? ...

change default account on answer
SSBoYXZlIHNldmVyYWwgZS1tYWlsIGFjY291bnRzLiBXaGVuIEkgYW5zd2VyIGUtbWFpbCwgb3V0 bG9vayBhbHdheXMgY2hvb3NlIHRoZSBzYW1lIGFjY291bnQuIEhvdyB0byBjaGFuZ2UgdGhpcyBh Y2NvdW50IHRvIGFub3RoZXI/IE9yIGhvdyB0byBkbyB0aGF0IG91dGxvb2sgc2VsZiBjaG9vc2Vz IHNhbWUgYWNjb3VudCBhcyBpbiBsZXR0ZXIgdGhhdCBJJ3ZlIHRyeSB0byBhbnN3ZXI/DQoNClRo YW5rcyENCg0KDQotLQ0KQ29uc3RhbnRpbmUgWi4= Outlook replies using the same account message was received. Use the accounts button the drop-down list to choose another if you wish. "Constantine Z." <iweb [at] inbox.ru> wrote in message news:%232saXVMOFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx...

IMCEAEX addresses in the "messages with an unreachable destination" queue
Hi, I have one EX2003 server in our org with some messages ending up in the "messages with an unreachable destination" queue. The messages are internal to this server only. Its the usual IMCEAEX format - SMTP:IMCEAex-_O=MPI_OU=BRUSSELS_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=IreneF@localmail.mpi.loca The users mailboxes were being migrated from EX55 to 2003 but the migration was scrapped as the 5.5 box died before it could be completed. Exchange attributes for the user accounts were removed and the mails were then exmerged from a recovery server to the new 2003 server. This only affects a small amount ...

Change View of Report
I have a form that contains a subform and one of the fields in that subform I've allowed to "wrap text" and all works good...however on my report when a field has "wrap texted" that cell's size increases but the other cells don't...hard to picture? I have my report set up almost like an excel worksheet where all the text boxes are aligned together and have borders. Any help would be great. Thanks Bunches Crystal T wrote: >I have a form that contains a subform and one of the fields in that subform >I've allowed to "wrap text" and all...

Automator Workflows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I've found out that Automator workflows are not included with the Home &amp; Student edition for some reason. Is there any way of downloading these or making workflows myself that can be used in Office? <br> Thanks. ...

change csv list separator per file?
Hi all, for my work I have to generate different .csv files. Some have a comma "," as list separator, other files need ";" Is there a workaround so that I don't have to change the list separator setting in my regional settings? And/or can I add a "replace ";" by ","" in a macro that converts workbout in a range of .csv sheets? Thanx for your aid, brt! use the "Text to Columns" option on the data menu. Choose delimited, check the boxes for ,(comma) and ;(semi colon) The preview will show how the data has been split, click ...

How do you change default font size for UML elements in Visio Dra.
I'm just getting started with Visio 2007 and reverse engineering C++ code (although I'm interested in C# code as well!) I have two questions. 1) When I drag classes onto the drawing surface the font of the text is too small. I can change it class by class, but that's a pain. Surely there is some global place to change it? 2) How do I drag all the classes on from the Model Explorer onto the drawing surface at once? Shift key and ctrl key do not work. Thanks Dave. ...

Is there a 'RecordChanged' event in workflow manager?
I'm not finding it if there is. I need to have CRM send Account and Incident info to BizTalk whenever the record changes, and someone suggested I write a workflow rule that posts account info to a URL to accomplish this. However, all I can find is a Status Change event that is not very useful for this. If anyone has a better idea, please don't be shy and let me know :) Also, after I save and activate the rule, it doesn't show up in the workflow monitor. thanks, Daniel. You can create a post callout for post-update. BK "Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <rimmelzwaan@xhotmail.c...

Error: "Microsoft Word Interface Not Registered"
Hi, Does anyone know what to do to prevent this error from popping up. After I try to send an email within Outlook, after pressing "Send & Receive" the following error comes up: "Microsoft Word Interface Not Registered" Thanks, Art Found a Microsoft Article - KB889885 which described a similar error Applied the suggested fix. Here's what it said: CAUSE This issue may occur when the Ole32.dll file that is on the computer i not correctly registered. Additionally, this issue may occur if you installation of MicrosoftWindows is damaged RESOLUTION To resolve...

changing image display application
I have a form that is designed to display stored images of customer records which have been scanned and stored on disk. My problem is that the system wants to display the images using Microsoft Paint and I want them to be opened with Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I have tried several methods to change the default application with which the images are opened, and it seems to work, meaning that Picture Manager is used when I double click on an image file in the file system explorer. However when I try to use the database form to open the same file, the system reverts back to opening it wi...

Workflow query
I'd like to be able to activate a workflow rule when any Update event to a Case occurs (i.e. not a standard Manual, Assign, Create or Change Status event). Any ideas? PS: Merry Christmas everybody! You won't be able to this by workflows. You'll need to write custom code to trap the Update event. "Datapac" wrote: > I'd like to be able to activate a workflow rule when any Update event to a > Case occurs (i.e. not a standard Manual, Assign, Create or Change Status > event). > > Any ideas? > > PS: Merry Christmas everybody! MS has just ...

Cell comment boxes shouldn't change size/shape unless changed by u
Often when columns in the worksheet are resized or deleted, the cell comments in other columns have their yellow boxes change size and shape, to where i can no longer see the whole comment when i hover over the cell. It's very cumbersome to have to reset the sizes of all my comment boxes. Please find a way to make the comment boxes' size/shape "stick" to where i set it so i can continue to see the whole comment when other worksheet attributes are changed. (I use Microsoft Office in Windows XP; but happened in prior Windows too.) Thank you Perhaps this has b...

How do I use the "More Details" in a newsletter?
In Publisher 2003, you can create emails directly. The templates have a place for a short intro to an article with a place to click to get the rest of the article. How do I use that feature? ...

Conditional format color change
Hello, I wanted to use conditional formatting and need help with the formula. I have a range of cells B1:CM2 that are green “Color 10” with a white font. I want if the cell color changes to light yellow “Color 36” then the font would be black and if the color changed to white then it would change back to green “Color 10” with a white font. How can I do this? -- Thanks, Chad I'm not familiar, yet, with a change_Interior_Color Event and I don't know how your " cell color changes" ? However, one way is to run a loop on all your 180 cells > check their Inte...

Change datasource of pivot table
Hello, I am trying to change the datasource of an EXISTING pivot table from one SQL server to another. But there is NO option for changing the DATA SOURCE of an existing pivot table. Using the wizard there is only access to the TABLES of the first data source - you cannot select a different data source. I would be grateful if someone knew something about it... ...

Error opening Workflow Manager and Monitor
When I try to open Workflow Manager or Monitor i get the following message: "An error occured while loading the organization's date, time, and number format settings. Those settings are incompatible with the format alredy used in Workflow Monitor. To sync them, you can make changes in the System Customization area of Microsoft CRM Server." Which formats are valid? Regards Thomas Did you find a solution to this ? I have the same problem. Anne Busby thomas svensson wrote: > When I try to open Workflow Manager or Monitor i get the > following message: > > &qu...

In Excel 2000, can I change the direction of the move selection a.
In Excel 2000, can I change the direction of the move selection after Tab? (I know you can change the dirrection after Enter) GTP Not possible I'm afraid -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "GTP" <GTP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C5F0598-AA83-4554-8999-3AA123784891@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2000, can I change the direction of the move selection after Tab? > (I > know you can change the dirrection after Enter) If you have a specific pattern to follow... Snipped from...

Change the default Calendar
Hej to all I have outlook 2010 with 2 calendars, calendar and work. By default the default calendar is calendar, but I would like to be work, since calendar have almost my private things, there is a way to change the default calendar to work. Thanks to all. Sofia No, you'll have to copy over the items from one to the other. Personally I don't use 2 calendars for this but use a single calendar and categorize my appointments accordingly. For details see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/191 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft...

Include activities created by the workflow
Can you explain me the difference between checking the Include activities created by the workflow option and not checking it .. Can you tell me if this option really works ? I hope you can help me this is mi scenario 1.- I need to send and email automatically when a case is created (I already do this with a workflow rule) .. 2.- Wait 8 hours (I already know how to do this) 3.- Then Check if any other activity has been created besides the email send in number 1 4.- If no activity has been created then I send an email I thougth that if the Include activities generated by workflow is NOT ch...

Workflow email off of custom entity
I am trying to create a workflow that sends email to a lead on the creation of an attached, custom entity. My specific case is: internet user requests information from the website. They sign up to receive the information, and what they enter on the sign-up gets put into a lead. They then request a specific item, and this gets placed into a custom entity in CRM. Now, when the custom entity is created, I want to trigger an email to be sent to the person that just requested it, which is stored on the lead. This would work if I could call a manual workflow as a subprocess from a different ent...