Where is the best place to put notes?

We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you
can enter notes.  Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what
notes should be entered where?
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Wendy,

There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that
notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a
central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with
an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several
different parts of CRM.

In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying
to acheive in order to help you in determining what your business needs.
Please feel free to post back with more detail.

Jeff Loucks
888-474-2237
MVP

"Wendy Hertzfeld" <WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0D372718-0ED0-4BB7-94A4-5140C6931456@microsoft.com...
> We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that
> you
> can enter notes.  Has anyone created a structure for their company as to
> what
> notes should be entered where?

0
Jeff
11/11/2006 5:49:00 PM
We were used to ACT in the fact all notes were put on one page and you could
filter out those you did not want to see.  Now with the fact that there are
so many places to put notes, we are just trying to figure out the best way to
approach it but be able to easliy find the info.  For example, if you set an
acitivity, when the activity is completed do you put the notes on the
activity or go back to the account and enter the notes there?

"Jeff L" wrote:

> Wendy,
>
> There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that
> notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a
> central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with
> an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several
> different parts of CRM.
>
> In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying
> to acheive in order to help you in determining what your business needs.
> Please feel free to post back with more detail.
>
> Jeff Loucks
> 888-474-2237
> MVP
>

> "Wendy Hertzfeld" <WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:0D372718-0ED0-4BB7-94A4-5140C6931456@microsoft.com...
> > We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that
> > you
> > can enter notes.  Has anyone created a structure for their company as to
> > what
> > notes should be entered where?

Wendy,

I think you should use the activity itself to log information about
activity. Use notes under the notes tab to hold associated documents.
So for instance, you have a phone call about a letter and you want to
keep a copy of the letter from the account with the phone call. Use
the note to attach the digitized letter.

But the phone call activity should have all of the notes about the
call in the notes field.

Jeff Loucks
888-474-2237
MVP

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 05:31:02 -0800, Wendy Hertzfeld
<WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We were used to ACT in the fact all notes were put on one page and you could
>filter out those you did not want to see.  Now with the fact that there are
>so many places to put notes, we are just trying to figure out the best way to
>approach it but be able to easliy find the info.  For example, if you set an
>acitivity, when the activity is completed do you put the notes on the
>activity or go back to the account and enter the notes there?
>
>"Jeff L" wrote:
>
>> Wendy,
>>
>> There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that
>> notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a
>> central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with
>> an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several
>> different parts of CRM.
>>
>> In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying
>> to acheive in order to help you in determining what your business needs.
>> Please feel free to post back with more detail.
>>
>> Jeff Loucks
>> 888-474-2237
>> MVP
>>

>> "Wendy Hertzfeld" <WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:0D372718-0ED0-4BB7-94A4-5140C6931456@microsoft.com...
>> > We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that
>> > you
>> > can enter notes.  Has anyone created a structure for their company as to
>> > what
>> > notes should be entered where?

0
Jeff
11/14/2006 2:06:57 PM
Is there a way then to pull a report that will show all notes (activities,
contact, account, etc) for an account?  We used to run a report that would
show all the notes put in by one user for a specified time frame by each of
their records.

"Jeff L" wrote:

> Wendy,
>
> I think you should use the activity itself to log information about
> activity. Use notes under the notes tab to hold associated documents.
> So for instance, you have a phone call about a letter and you want to
> keep a copy of the letter from the account with the phone call. Use
> the note to attach the digitized letter.
>
> But the phone call activity should have all of the notes about the
> call in the notes field.
>
> Jeff Loucks
> 888-474-2237
> MVP
>

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 05:31:02 -0800, Wendy Hertzfeld
> <WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We were used to ACT in the fact all notes were put on one page and you could
> >filter out those you did not want to see.  Now with the fact that there are
> >so many places to put notes, we are just trying to figure out the best way to
> >approach it but be able to easliy find the info.  For example, if you set an
> >acitivity, when the activity is completed do you put the notes on the
> >activity or go back to the account and enter the notes there?
> >
> >"Jeff L" wrote:
> >
> >> Wendy,
> >>
> >> There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that
> >> notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a
> >> central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with
> >> an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several
> >> different parts of CRM.
> >>
> >> In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying
> >> to acheive in order to help you in determining what your business needs.
> >> Please feel free to post back with more detail.
> >>
> >> Jeff Loucks
> >> 888-474-2237
> >> MVP
> >>

> >> "Wendy Hertzfeld" <WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:0D372718-0ED0-4BB7-94A4-5140C6931456@microsoft.com...

Wendy,

Not by default that I know of but it would not be hard to create one.
It may exist already I just have not seen it.

Jeff Loucks
888-474-2237
MVP

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 06:41:03 -0800, Wendy Hertzfeld
<WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there a way then to pull a report that will show all notes (activities,
>contact, account, etc) for an account?  We used to run a report that would
>show all the notes put in by one user for a specified time frame by each of
>their records.
>
>"Jeff L" wrote:
>
>> Wendy,
>>
>> I think you should use the activity itself to log information about
>> activity. Use notes under the notes tab to hold associated documents.
>> So for instance, you have a phone call about a letter and you want to
>> keep a copy of the letter from the account with the phone call. Use
>> the note to attach the digitized letter.
>>
>> But the phone call activity should have all of the notes about the
>> call in the notes field.
>>
>> Jeff Loucks
>> 888-474-2237
>> MVP
>>

>> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 05:31:02 -0800, Wendy Hertzfeld
>> <WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >We were used to ACT in the fact all notes were put on one page and you could
>> >filter out those you did not want to see.  Now with the fact that there are
>> >so many places to put notes, we are just trying to figure out the best way to
>> >approach it but be able to easliy find the info.  For example, if you set an
>> >acitivity, when the activity is completed do you put the notes on the
>> >activity or go back to the account and enter the notes there?

0
Jeff
11/14/2006 2:57:51 PM
You could perform an Advanced Find (on Notes) to get all notes related to an
account. You would get the description and other columns that you need.

"Jeff L" wrote:

> Wendy,
>
> Not by default that I know of but it would not be hard to create one.
> It may exist already I just have not seen it.
>
> Jeff Loucks
> 888-474-2237
> MVP
>

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 06:41:03 -0800, Wendy Hertzfeld
> <WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way then to pull a report that will show all notes (activities,
> >contact, account, etc) for an account?  We used to run a report that would
> >show all the notes put in by one user for a specified time frame by each of
> >their records.
> >
> >"Jeff L" wrote:
> >
> >> Wendy,
> >>
> >> I think you should use the activity itself to log information about
> >> activity. Use notes under the notes tab to hold associated documents.
> >> So for instance, you have a phone call about a letter and you want to
> >> keep a copy of the letter from the account with the phone call. Use
> >> the note to attach the digitized letter.
> >>
> >> But the phone call activity should have all of the notes about the
> >> call in the notes field.
> >>
> >> Jeff Loucks
> >> 888-474-2237
> >> MVP

Our company is new to CRM (former ACT users) So, you should use the notes tab
located on the activity to keep attachments pertaining specifically to that
activity (such as a phone call)?  Would you use the large space provided on
the main tab of the activity to keep notes about the phone conversation?
This seems logical but, unlike ACT, you will never have a chronological view
of the activities on an account.  As it is our salesman are complaining about
making notes on the activities tab and then repeating them on the Notes tab
on the account level.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
--
Ursula R.

"Jeff L" wrote:

> Wendy,
>
> I think you should use the activity itself to log information about
> activity. Use notes under the notes tab to hold associated documents.
> So for instance, you have a phone call about a letter and you want to
> keep a copy of the letter from the account with the phone call. Use
> the note to attach the digitized letter.
>
> But the phone call activity should have all of the notes about the
> call in the notes field.
>
> Jeff Loucks
> 888-474-2237
> MVP
>

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 05:31:02 -0800, Wendy Hertzfeld
> <WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We were used to ACT in the fact all notes were put on one page and you could
> >filter out those you did not want to see.  Now with the fact that there are
> >so many places to put notes, we are just trying to figure out the best way to
> >approach it but be able to easliy find the info.  For example, if you set an
> >acitivity, when the activity is completed do you put the notes on the
> >activity or go back to the account and enter the notes there?
> >
> >"Jeff L" wrote:
> >
> >> Wendy,
> >>
> >> There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that
> >> notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a
> >> central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with
> >> an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several
> >> different parts of CRM.
> >>
> >> In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying
> >> to acheive in order to help you in determining what your business needs.
> >> Please feel free to post back with more detail.
> >>
> >> Jeff Loucks
> >> 888-474-2237
> >> MVP
> >>

> >> "Wendy Hertzfeld" <WendyHertzfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:0D372718-0ED0-4BB7-94A4-5140C6931456@microsoft.com...

error C4430: missing type specifier
Hi, I have a compile error like this: error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int Could any body tell me the root cause for this error, thanks a lot! -ja I can't help but think this error is associated with some line in your source code. How can we tell you what's wrong without seeing that line? -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com "ja" <josndrsn@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Oxz1kWN8GHA.1496@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I have a compile error like this:...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

How do I put in a week's events (ex. Oct.6-10) on calendar
I want to put dates on a calendar without having to type in each box for a week. I recall using banner style. Is that applicable to Publisher? A text box filled with white stretched over the days in question. Not sure what you are trying to do. A calendar is a table, you can merge cells. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Dr. DST" <Dr. DST@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A1AA998-E63B-496A-9BE3-DFCBD4796750@microsoft.com... >I want to put dates on a calendar without having to type...

Where is the best place to put notes?
We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you can enter notes. Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what notes should be entered where? Wendy, There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several different parts of CRM. In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying to ac...

Lotus Notes meeting requests in Outlook 2003
Hi, we are working with some external companies which are using Lotus Notes. When they send us meeting requests we get them as attachment. When opening that attachment it is not possible to accept, tentative accept or decline the meeting request. Is there a way to enable that? We are using Exchange 2003 SP2 with Outlook 2003 SP2. There are no connectors between Lotus and Exchange. emails are exchange via the public internet. Thanks, Manfred ...

what is the best way to resize test that "best fits" the text box
I just want to know how to resize text to fit the text box. Select the text and reduce the font size until it suits your requirements. There is no automatic function for this. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "utahjohn" <utahjohn@discussions.microsof...

can I put a weather widget into a powerpoint presentation?
I'm using Powerpoint 2003 to scroll through a welcome and what's on page in our conference centre. I'd like to display a weather radar on a page too. Is this possible? Thanks ...

Outlook Notes Folder
The Notes Folder is a fantastic idea but is not near as robust as would like it to be. I find the Notes Folder useful for keeping information such as-- "Outlookforum.com User ID: xxxxx Password: xxxxx" "Ebay.com User Id: xxxx Password: xxxx" If you set the note folder so that it is "always on top" you can easil have the web site login screen and the -Note- on the screen at the sam time. HANDICAPS[/B] 1. I HAVE SERVERAL HUNDRED OF THESE NOTES AND KEEP PRINTED COPIES IN M ORGANIZER. IT WOULD BE NICE IF THE NOTES FOLDER WOULD PRINT THRE COLUMNS PER PAGE (INSTE...

Best way to forecast individual sales territories?
I have a spreadsheet with twelve months of sales data per territory (100 territories.) I need to forecast the next three months. The product being sold is just moving from launch phase to high growth phase, so it's still growing pretty quickly. What is the best method to forecast each individual territories' sales over the next three months? ...

OWA/OMA Protection
<No response from other forum> Hello, I have a Exchange 2003/OWA frontend that is protected with RSA two factor authentication inside a Checkpoint Firewall. The RSA part works fine and everything is good. Now I buy a Motorola Droid and need to set up the Exchange Sync and the RSA poses a problem. If I remove the RSA protection the Droid connects to the OWA and syncs well. Calls to RSA says it will not work with a Droid so I'd have to get rid of the RSA authentication. The question is: it looks like if I want to use a Android 2.0 based Droid phone to sync with outlook...

GL figures
what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures so users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr. do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file. -- Linda W. Linda, You mean when you are starting up a new company? If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only. For example, let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends in December and y...

Put same details in everyone's calendar?
Hello, I want to put the same details into all of my exchange users calendar. For example I want all the users to have all the national holidays automatically in there, sales seminars that everyone has to go to etc ..... What's the easiest way to do it? Thanks, www.slipstick.com is probably the best place to search. On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:58:25 +0000, cvs <cvs@nospam.com> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to put the same details into all of my exchange users calendar. For >example I want all the users to have all the national holidays automatically >in there, sales s...

division of variable integer into best fit integer parts
Hello I have a variable integer which must be split into 8 integers based on fixed percentages (33%, 18%, 15%, 13%, 11%, 4%, 3%, 3%). These 8 integers must add up to the original number (ie I cannot just multiply integer by % and then use the roundup/rounddown functions as they could add up to more/less than the original number). Is there a function in excel which would work out a best fit solution? Thanks No, there is not a function to do this automatically. Follow the program that you described, but calculate one of the integers by subtraction to make the sum come out right. Jerry ...

CRM and Lotus Notes 07-31-07
All, We are in the process of deciding if MS CRM would be a fit for us. Everything looks good with the exception of the e-mail integration. We use Lotus Notes and that seem to cause some concern with the e-mail features. It appears that with lotus notes we will not be able to sync up CRM e-mails back to the system. I'm looking to see if anyone has ran into this problem and has any suggestion or opinions Thanks in advance. Jamal ------=_NextPart_0001_32605E27 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Jamal, Thanks for posting in. This is Mike responding. Yo...

How do I place watermark in Excel (not using WordArt)
How does one include such items as "DRAFT" in Watermark fashion in Excel. Not using Header/Footer or WordArt? Word is so simple how come Excel is not that same format? Hi Just Curious, > How does one include such items as "DRAFT" in Watermark fashion in Excel. > Not using Header/Footer or WordArt? The only methods that I have seen involve the manipulation of WordArt objects. > Word is so simple how come Excel is not that same format? You should address that question to Microsoft. To see a range of solutions, see xlDynamic's Watermark web page at: ...

best tutorials for graphs ( line of best fit) for excel
What are the best tutorials for using excel for stastical analysis graphs and other graphs such as Line of best fit? Niccole: Here's a link to my chart gallery of Excel statistical charts. http://processtrends.com/TOC_chart_gallery.htm Here's a link to my page on trend analysis with Excel. This page shows several regression techniques that you can use with Excel. http://processtrends.com/toc_trend_analysis_with_Excel.htm Post back if you have more specific questions. Kelly O'Day koday at processtrends dot com "Niccole D" <Niccole D@discussions.microsoft....

Problem with OLE notes
We are having a problem with OLE notes attached to customer cards. When we attach A a note to a customer card that is also a vendor it replicates to all customer cards that are also vendors. We have tried this on several customers and the same thing happens. If we do it on a customer that is not a vendor it works fine. Has anyone ever seen an issue like this before? Robert Fann Omni Packaging Robert, We have several customers that are also vendors set up and I just checked them all - none of them have an issue. Here is an example of what we have: Customer A = Vendor A - both of th...

best fit line
I have a line graph with 6 series plotted (I.e. 6 different lines--sales on y, months of x). How do i add a best fit line to the chart? When i select Add Treanline, it only lets you select one series (and I'm assuming the result you get is a linear y=mx+b line....i 'm looking for the best fit line for serveral series... Thanks. jeremy -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com since it is a line chart, there are several things you could try. If it is justified, you could generate an average of the data points for each x point and plot it. Make a trend line of the average th...

Jacob & Co. H-24SSBL Black The Five Time Zone Mens Watch, Best Wristwatch Mall
Jacob & Co. H-24SSBL Black The Five Time Zone Mens Watch, Best Wristwatch Mall Click Here To Website : http://jacob-co.watchesmall.net/Jacob-Co-wristwatch= -3939.html Luxury Watches Mall: http://www.watchesmall.net/ Jacob & Co. H-24SSBL Black The Five Time Zone Mens Watch Information : Brand : Jacob & Co. Watches ( http://jacob-co.watchesmall.net/ ) Gender : Mens Code : jacob-co-watch-h-24ssbl Also Called : Case Material : White Gold Case Thickness : 47.50 mm Dial Color : Black Bezel : White Gold Movement : Automat...

Best Version, best performance
Anyone have a suggestion as to which is the Best Version of MSMoney? I'm using V2003. I'm thinking of upgrading to V05 but wonder if I will gain anything. I've turned off most things in V2003 because of its slow performance therefore I wonder if V2005 is faster? M05 is unlikely to be any faster and brings lots of its own complications. See http://umpmfaq.info/Money2005.htm for one user's opinion. M04 was probably better than M03, but not by very much at all. See also http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=174 for some thoughts on what happens if M06 (07, 08, 09...) is no better ...

Instalation of CRM on two place
Hello Our company got project for CRM 3.0 and we will install in next week. Our consulent demands that i must installed same crm at one of our local computer because they will work localy then export the changes and import at customer CRM server. My question is If i installed CRM at customer's network AD and take backup for SQL databases and restore thats on the local Server and connect to CRM or must install new CRM with same Lisence? Help me. Consulent wants same invirment as our customer has for CRM. -- Maikal You can't simply take a backup of a database and restore it i...

Get number in cell add to it and put back in same cell
I have files that I need to insert or delete x number of lines from. When I do I need to fix index values in the file that are values in a certain column. for example Cell F10 has a 8 F11 has a 9 F12 has a 20 F13 has a 15 If I insert 5 lines between line 11 and 12 I need to add 5 to F12 and F13 etc. There might be a way to do this but i'm unsure. Thanks, Hi Dave; in the spreadsheet you could use this formula =ROW(A1) This would provide the row number for the first cell. If you can write macros you can use activecell = activecell.row I hope it helps, Greg "Dave" <...

excel file path in the notes window
Hi All, one of my accountant entering the journal entry in the GL Module he wants to put the excel file path in the notes window so that when next time he opens that journal entry through inquiry he can double click the path so excel file will be open so that he can understood easily why he entered that journal entry. Thanks In Advance Sharat Mittakola Hi Sharat, If your account right clicks on the excel file, and selects copy, then in the notes windows, if he clicks the paperclip icon he can attach an ole container. From there, he can click on Edit-->Paste Link and retain a li...