What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?

Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or
stored proceedures?

What happened and how did you do it?

Andy

0
Andy
8/3/2007 1:11:45 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do
thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some
extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock.
--
Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com

"Andy" wrote:

> Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or
> stored proceedures?
>
> What happened and how did you do it?
>
> Andy

Hi Matt

I noticed that when I ran the CDF mapping wizard that on the user
account mapping screen, there only was room for 12 CRM users.  We
actually have 15 CRM licenses, and around 25 CRM users.  We wrote a
program that allows our users to swap licenses when they need to use
CRM, so we have CRM records that span 25 CRM users (each user has to
obtain a license before they logon to CRM - not all users need access
to the system at the same time).

Are 12 users the maximum number that DMF 3.0 can migrate in a single
session?  Do we have to migrate CRM records in batches of users?

Andy.

0
Andy
8/3/2007 7:13:10 PM
I don't think there's a limit on the users the CDF can map at a time. I'd
suggest contacting MS support, but your licensing sounds like it's way into
unsupported territory (if not directly contrary to the EULA), and I'm not
sure you want to contact MS support and tell them what you've done with your
licenses.
--
Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com

"Andy" wrote:

> Hi Matt
>
> I noticed that when I ran the CDF mapping wizard that on the user
> account mapping screen, there only was room for 12 CRM users.  We
> actually have 15 CRM licenses, and around 25 CRM users.  We wrote a
> program that allows our users to swap licenses when they need to use
> CRM, so we have CRM records that span 25 CRM users (each user has to
> obtain a license before they logon to CRM - not all users need access
> to the system at the same time).
>
> Are 12 users the maximum number that DMF 3.0 can migrate in a single
> session?  Do we have to migrate CRM records in batches of users?
>
> Andy.

Our program disables/enables CRM users under the CRM administrator
account while keeping track of how many users are enabled in relation
to the number of CRM licenses we have.  When that limit is reached, it
then swaps disabled users with currently enabled ones. Of course, once
a user is disabled, its owned records become inaccessible to
manipulation by anyone else, and it doesn't appear in any of the
lookups.

The EULA says you can have any number of users registered in CRM,
excpet that the number of active users has to be equivalent or less
than the number of CRM licenses you have.  Even if you don't have a
"license swapper", you still can get into this situation through
collecting "retired" users - users who have left the company, but
whose CRM user records cannot be deleted and must be made inactive
instead.  Over time, you will accumulate more CRM users (active and
disabled) than licenses.

The interesting thing about CRM is that you can actually make more
users active than you have licenses.  But, the next time the CRM
server starts up, it checks the number of active users against
registered licenses, and if it finds you have more active users than
licenses, it proceeds to disable all the active users.

0
Andy

MSComm use in VC 6.0
Hello. I am using MSComm in my VC 6.0 application, for using the COM1, and COM2, etc... ports. (It has a telephone glyph - the activeX name is : Microsoft communication control). By class wizard I have added a member variable of the name : m_com_port for that control. I need a sample for VC 6.0 for reading and writing to com port (may be com1, i.e), and some explanation on this component, please. Thanks :) Check out the VCTERM sample in the MSDN documentation. The wrapper classes in the sample were originally created with VC5, and the control has been modified since then to support diff...

ms excel 2000 password
I am using MSExcel2000. I want the user to enter the password everytime they open the excel sheet. I tried to go the option Tools----Option but there is no Security Tab. What is the other way in Excel2000 to set the password for the file? Hi you have to go to the Tools menu within the Saveas dialog ('File - Saveas') "Ash" wrote: > I am using MSExcel2000. I want the user to enter the password everytime they > open the excel sheet. I tried to go the option Tools----Option but there is > no Security Tab. What is the other way in Excel2000 to set the password for...

horizontal data to vertical data

storing read only data

copy customizations from CRM test to CRM Production
so far I have been able to make succesful customizations to the CRM Test version where I was trying the various tools. Since all my customizations were under the microsoft framework so I was trying to get the same moved over to CRM Production in a way that I do not have to do them over again. Is there a tool that I could utilize for the same. Also, by doin so would also the data under test be moved to Production, if not, is there a way to go around with the same. Thanks for all your help. g Assuming you are using CRM1.2 on your CRM test server open the Deployment Manager and right cli...

What's the easiest way to develop GP 9.0 add-ons?
We want to develop some GP 9.0 add-ons having new tables in database, new logic and functions. Also need these add-ons integrated with GP seamlessly. What's the easiest way to do so? Using VB Editor and Modifier, or VB and VB.net, or Dexterity? Are there any documents or demos for a newbie GP developer? I totally lost in the SDK document. -- A Chinese GP newbie comes. Pardon me if I asked a stupid question. Once the .Net extensions are released, they will be probably the best if you have an investment in the .Net platform and Visual Studio 2005. Today, you can use Dexterity to c...

export public folder data?

How to organize data?

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

CRM Solution!!
Does CRM have any module for head hunters? I am a head hunter and I want to build up an candidate resource pool fro Staffing! TIA ...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

MS Money SB 2005
Does any one know if Money Small Business invoicing will let you do a billing term of net 30th of the month. I have Money SB 2000 and it does not. Also from reading the comments 2005 is no better than 2000. Thanks Jenal ...

CRM 1.0 Server License
I have a client that has been running CRM 1.0 and isn't sure if a server license was required back then or if they have a license for it now. Are they grandfathered in with the server license for 1.2 and 3.0? If they are current with the software assurance, then they will be able to upgrade their licenses free of charge. There were server licenses for v1.0 as well. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Brian Jones" <BrianJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D497654-5EE8-4C80-9305-088798DA25C8@microsoft.com... I have a client that has been runnin...

crm sales for outlook connected to crm server
Hey, Today i installed without problems a total installation of a W2003 server included with exchange 2003 & SQL & CRM On the client i installed, also without problems the crm sales for outlook client. I made a connection to the crm server, also ok, but i donn't see anything of crm-bottons in outlook, the add-in is ok, the path to the add-in is ok, can someone tells me what maybe cause the problem ? Thanks, Rik The Add in may not have installed properly. Try to remove then add it back in. While in Outlook, remove the Microsoft CRM Outlook COM Add-In and then re-add it back ...

data file: how to start its application

How do I graph in 3-D, X,Y and Z
Is it posible to construct a 3-D graph with three different axes and three diferent data streams in Excel. If not, can anyone suggest any software packages that will allow me to do this! Hi, Excel does not support true 3-d charts. You can fake it with some worksheet formula. http://www.andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm Fernando Cinquegrani's http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html SigmaPlot http://www.systat.com/products/SigmaPlot/productinfo/?sec=1003 Mathematica http://documents.wolfram.com/v3/index.html Cheers Andy Uncle Albert wrote: > Is it posible to construct a 3-D graph w...

MS-Access 2007
What are the types that a column of a table can be ? Thanks :) Have you checked Access HELP? It lists these. Have you opened a table in design view and used the drop-down to list the valid data types? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no guarantee as to suitability. You can thank the FTC of...

merging data
I have a master file and 4 workbooks where individuals enter info daily. I need to update the master file workbook at the end of the day with the info from the 4 individual notebooks. How would I merge this data? I tried the "shared workbooks" process but it wouldn't let me do it. Please Help! Since your question is very "general", here's a "general" suggestion: Explore the use of links. Have all WBs open. Right click in a pertinent data cell of one of the 4 WBs, and choose "Copy". Navigate to the appropriate cell in the "Master&quo...

Vertical Data Extraction
Hi, I need to create a chart that is based on changing values. The Values are all stored vertically in a Worksheet called Percentage. The chart sheet contains a selection box where the user can select a specific search and a date and the selected conditions should be searched for and the chart should display results. Basically, when the user selects X in the first list box and Y in the second one, the code should search the Percentage worksheet for all instances of value=x and y and output. column Row Feature1 Feature2 Feature3 2000 0.5 8.3 10 2000 ...

Pie Chart from data
Hi, I am trying to create a pie chart from the below data just to show the percentages of what work orders are maj, med and min. How do I set this up!! Thanks in Advance!!! how can i create a pie char By following the directions within the Chart Wizard. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <9265C290-B0B6-4CAD-B909-5EDFCE7DC415@microsoft.com>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can i create a pie chart > > ...