using workflow to create a record

Hello

I don't think this is possible but thought I'd ask before giving up. I would
like to know if you can write a workflow rule that would create a new record.

Basically out of all my contacts I have 232 consultants. I have created a
new entity -Consultant Profile and for each of the 232 consultants/contact
there should be a profile. I was wondering if there was a way to quickly
create a new consultant profile for each of these contacts without having to
manually go into each one and select new.

I know it's a long shot!!

Thanks very much and happy new year

Suzi

0
SuziT (5)
1/9/2008 2:44:04 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Suzi,

If I understand you correctly, then you can create a workflow rule that is
triggered manually and creates a new Consultant Profile record for the
contact. Once activated, you can select all the consultant contacts from the
contact entity grid and apply the manual rule to all of them at the same time.

You will then need to fill in all the fields for all of the Consultant
Profile records, but at least the records have been created.

Michael Cross
Microsoft Dynamics CRM Consultant
http://www.navint.com

"Suzi T" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I don't think this is possible but thought I'd ask before giving up. I would
> like to know if you can write a workflow rule that would create a new record.
>
> Basically out of all my contacts I have 232 consultants. I have created a
> new entity -Consultant Profile and for each of the 232 consultants/contact
> there should be a profile. I was wondering if there was a way to quickly
> create a new consultant profile for each of these contacts without having to
> manually go into each one and select new.
>
> I know it's a long shot!!
>
> Thanks very much and happy new year
>
> Suzi

Hi Michael

Many thanks for that - it's good news.

Can I just ask how from a workflow rule you can set it to create a new
record. From the 'Insert Action' options, I can't see how to do it?

Thanks

Suzi

"Michael Cross" wrote:

> Suzi,
>
> If I understand you correctly, then you can create a workflow rule that is
> triggered manually and creates a new Consultant Profile record for the
> contact. Once activated, you can select all the consultant contacts from the
> contact entity grid and apply the manual rule to all of them at the same time.
>
> You will then need to fill in all the fields for all of the Consultant
> Profile records, but at least the records have been created.
>
> Michael Cross
> Microsoft Dynamics CRM Consultant
> http://www.navint.com
>
> "Suzi T" wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I don't think this is possible but thought I'd ask before giving up. I would
> > like to know if you can write a workflow rule that would create a new record.
> >
> > Basically out of all my contacts I have 232 consultants. I have created a
> > new entity -Consultant Profile and for each of the 232 consultants/contact
> > there should be a profile. I was wondering if there was a way to quickly
> > create a new consultant profile for each of these contacts without having to
> > manually go into each one and select new.
> >
> > I know it's a long shot!!
> >
> > Thanks very much and happy new year
> >
> > Suzi

0
SuziT (5)
1/9/2008 3:02:00 PM
Suzi,

Whoop! I'm sorry! I'm so used to working with 4.0 that I forgot that
workflow in 3.0 doesn't have this capability. You would have to use custom
programming.

As soon as you can, I recommend that you upgrade to 4.0. The workflow
capabilities are much more powerful and will be able create related records.

Michael

"Suzi T" wrote:

> Hi Michael
>
> Many thanks for that - it's good news.
>
> Can I just ask how from a workflow rule you can set it to create a new
> record. From the 'Insert Action' options, I can't see how to do it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Suzi
>
> "Michael Cross" wrote:
>
> > Suzi,
> >
> > If I understand you correctly, then you can create a workflow rule that is
> > triggered manually and creates a new Consultant Profile record for the
> > contact. Once activated, you can select all the consultant contacts from the
> > contact entity grid and apply the manual rule to all of them at the same time.
> >
> > You will then need to fill in all the fields for all of the Consultant
> > Profile records, but at least the records have been created.
> >
> > Michael Cross
> > Microsoft Dynamics CRM Consultant
> > http://www.navint.com
> >
> > "Suzi T" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I don't think this is possible but thought I'd ask before giving up. I would
> > > like to know if you can write a workflow rule that would create a new record.
> > >
> > > Basically out of all my contacts I have 232 consultants. I have created a
> > > new entity -Consultant Profile and for each of the 232 consultants/contact
> > > there should be a profile. I was wondering if there was a way to quickly
> > > create a new consultant profile for each of these contacts without having to
> > > manually go into each one and select new.
> > >
> > > I know it's a long shot!!
> > >
> > > Thanks very much and happy new year
> > >
> > > Suzi

No worries, thanks anyway. We are looking to upgrade soon - i look forward to
more capability!! :)

Many thanks for your help and quick responses

Suzi

"Michael Cross" wrote:

> Suzi,
>
> Whoop! I'm sorry! I'm so used to working with 4.0 that I forgot that
> workflow in 3.0 doesn't have this capability. You would have to use custom
> programming.
>
> As soon as you can, I recommend that you upgrade to 4.0. The workflow
> capabilities are much more powerful and will be able create related records.
>
> Michael
>
> "Suzi T" wrote:
>
> > Hi Michael
> >
> > Many thanks for that - it's good news.
> >
> > Can I just ask how from a workflow rule you can set it to create a new
> > record. From the 'Insert Action' options, I can't see how to do it?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Suzi
> >
> > "Michael Cross" wrote:
> >
> > > Suzi,
> > >
> > > If I understand you correctly, then you can create a workflow rule that is
> > > triggered manually and creates a new Consultant Profile record for the
> > > contact. Once activated, you can select all the consultant contacts from the
> > > contact entity grid and apply the manual rule to all of them at the same time.
> > >
> > > You will then need to fill in all the fields for all of the Consultant
> > > Profile records, but at least the records have been created.
> > >
> > > Michael Cross
> > > Microsoft Dynamics CRM Consultant
> > > http://www.navint.com

0
SuziT (5)

How do I select a range of cells in an Excel table using the mouse
When I use the mouse to select a range of cells in an Excel table (left-button-click-and-hold, drag mouse mouse over desired cell range), when I release the mouse ALL the data in the top row of the selected range is COPIED to the remaining rows in the selected range... How do I prevent this, or what is wrong w/my selection technique. -- John C. Lethco Be more careful with your initial click. I'm thinking that you got the edge of the cell, not the cell itself. jlethco_texas wrote: > > When I use the mouse to select a range of cells in an Excel table > (left-...

How to Locate a registry entry created by Windows Installer
Hello, I have created an application that is installed using Windows Installer 4.5 As th installation runs, the User is prompted for a Serail Number. The Serial Number is saved by WI in the registry. When I use RegEdit, I can search the registry and I can find the value. It is in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\UserData\Products\something that looks like a GUID\InstallProperties\ProductID My question really is, how can I locate the GUID so that I can read the ProducID value from the proper Registry entry? I have used Orca to open the MSI, but I can not see the GUID anywhere with...

retrieve emails after using detect and repair
i clicked on detect and repair and now all my e-mails in my inbox have disappeared is there a way i can retrieve them back? ...

Payables Integration using Integration manager
I am trying to get payables invoices into Great Plains 9 using Integration manager. The source file has one line for each invoice. The purchasing account is different for each invoices. How do I design the integration for payables invoices so that the distribution account for purchasing is pulled from the source file. Thank you. You need two sources: Header and Distribution. For the distribution, click the options tab for the distributions folder and select Default Non-Imported. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Jack Tundra" wrote: > I am trying to get payables invoices into ...

Recording Cash Tips from Restaurants
Does anyone know how I can keep track of the tips I received from work in Money 2004? This is for cash that will not touch a bank account. Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, Todd wrote: >Does anyone know how I can keep track of the tips I >received from work in Money 2004? This is for cash that >will not touch a bank account. Thanks! You can create a new account not held at an institution. Accounts&Bills->AccountSetup. The type can be a Cash account. Enter tips there. If you deposited tip money to the bank, you could enter a Transfer transaction. no, i don�t know -- ...

Cannot delete messages using OWA
Hi, I have deployed OWA and it works except one thing. I cannot delete a message while opening owa using IE. If I try using Opera or Netscape it does work fine. I tried using it woth other IE in other 10 different PC and got the same result. Any idea ? Thx "Daniel Haro" <DanielHaro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F667EA82-3E1A-4395-A938-195F8B5A0629@microsoft.com... > Hi, I have deployed OWA and it works except one thing. I cannot delete a > message while opening owa using IE. If I try using Opera or Netscape it > does > work fine. I tried ...

cant create item
when clicking on a link in an e-mail, an error occurs saying cant create item On Sat, 22 May 2010 06:06:01 -0700, dave <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >when clicking on a link in an e-mail, an error occurs saying cant create item Is this a mailto:// link or a http:// link? What version of Outlook? -- To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address. dave wrote: > when clicking on a link in an e-mail, an error occurs saying cant create item You actually get an error message that exactly states "cant create item". R...

How to create a chart showing ranges of prices of different produc
Hi all, I very much appreciate your help. I am trying to create a chart such as the one in the following link: http://earthtrends.wri.org/images/ethanol_production_cost_small.jpg It shows on the Y-axis different items. On the X-axis, the price in USD 0..1...2...3...4...5...6...7...and so on. Than, for each product I need to plot its range of prices. For example, for item 1, its price ranges from 3 to 5 dollar. so it should be a horizontal line or bar extending from 3 to 5. Could you please explain to me how to do it? By the way, Any idea what these types of charts are ...

How to share printer connected to Windows 7 pc with a pc using Vista ?
I have upgraded to Windows 7 and now face the problem that no one else but myself can use the printer. Before I had a home network setup and all other pc's connected via wireless network to print. How to I setup just the printer so others can use it ? Jason, Have you enabled printer sharing in Network and Sharing Center? Have you shared your printer already? Carlos "Jason" wrote: > I have upgraded to Windows 7 and now face the problem that no one else but > myself can use the printer. > > Before I had a home network setup and all other pc&...

WorkFlow Error when submitting PO for Approval
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C9A8AC.A3DCD610 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello Everyone, I have installed, setup and configured WorkFlow in GP 10.o with SP 3 and = everything seem fine and working except that when I create a PO and = submit for approval, the GP responds back with an error message saying " = A WorkFlow error occurred on PO # ?????? . Please review the document = and resubmit if necessary". Any help would be appreciated highly ------=_NextPart_000...

Creating a directory
Is it possible to create a new directory using VBA? Yes, if it is a subdirectory of the current directory you just need: MkDir (my_name) where my_name is a string variable. This could include the full path to create the directory somewhere else. Hope this helps. Pete Graham Whitehead wrote: > Is it possible to create a new directory using VBA? ...

creating & linking multiple chart
suppose i have data for 500 firms formatted as - column wise company names ; row wise daily share quotes. i can create the graphs one by one for the daily price variations of each stock in the worksheet. my problem is- [1] how to hide the chart in the worksheet ( as the chart created is displayed on the same worksheet). [2] link my charts to the firms name, so that on cliking the name, correspondingly the chart can be displayed (either in a new xl sheet/ word doc/ ppt or in the same workbook in a new sheet). This post ought to get you started. http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/07/...

Can I create multiple trend lines in a chart?
Can I create multiple trend lines in a chart? Yes Jerry SiVaDsHeRE wrote: > Can I create multiple trend lines in a chart? To elaborate on Jerry's response, you can create one or more trendlines for each series in a chart (as long as the chart type supports a trendline). Every point in the series is included in the calculated trendline. If you want to compute a trendline for only part of a series, you need to add a series that includes only the points you're interested in, and make a trendline for the added series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Tec...

need help using named range in chart
Hello, I have a spreadsheet with about 10 columns of data. The number of rows can vary but its ussually less than 20. I've got a set of 'index' fields that define which data is in which column and what range of rows I want to act on. Then I've defined some named ranges that vary based on the contents of the index fields. For example: Stats!TotalC==OFFSET(INDIRECT(stats!$O$3&FIXED(stats!$P$2,0,0)),0,0,stats! $Q$2-stats!$P$2+1,1) where O3 contains the column name, P2 is the first row, and P3 is the last row I want to consider. I've also defined them as follows: ...

error C2027: use of undefined type
Today I am getting an error when trying to use a CArray of a new class. I've been this route before, but I can't remember what the solution was. What is I'm not seeing? Debugger complains: C2027: use of undefined type 'CDIBSection' . ..h . . . class CDIBSection : public CBitmap { public: CDIBSection(); virtual ~CDIBSection(); void CreateDIBSection(); HBITMAP m_hBmp; BITMAPINFOHEADER m_biHdr; BYTE* m_pBits; }; ..cpp . . . CDIBSection::CDIBSection() { } CDIBSection::~CDIBSection() { } void CDIBSection::CreateDIBSection() { } In my CSprite.h, I have: class CDIBSe...

Using RMS Journal viewer from add on
Does anyone know how to call/use RMS Journal viewer from executable add-on? My problem is, that I have to generate a new sale transaction (summary of different sales from one period) and after that I need to print that document,but I Can't find a way how to do that. Ene Hi Ene, You can do so if you have Transaction column added in your report. click on Hide/UnHide column and Check Transaction column then whenever you click the Transaction ID a hover glass will come just double click it will jump you to the Journal viewer. I hope this will help you. Rate me please. "Ene&qu...

Date format to Text Date for use in Mail Merge
I have everyone's start date in a column. I'd like to create another column with their start date in text so that I can then use it in a mail merge for their certificates. I've got it converted but the MM/DD/YYYY is behind the scenes and when I do the merge that comes over versus Month Day, Year. Any help? hi Erinayn, This formula may help... =TEXT(a2,"mm/dd/yyyy") I haven't used mail merge before, but if you can't resolve it using formulae in the spreadsheet, you may be able to temporarily change your system settings under Windows Start Men...

insert into
I have two tables - EMAIL and PUBLISH. I use the access import feature to import all emails into the table EMAIL. I then created a query to move "new" records from EMAIL into PUBLISH so that I can modify the contents and flag the emails with categories, etc. My query is missing records but I can't figure out why. I have three tables involved in this query: ADDRESS - contains the person's email address and a people ID EMAIL - contains the original email fields including email address and contents of email, each email is assigned a unique ID PUBLISH - want to c...

Replace using wildcards
Hi, I'm a newbie to Excel and this group so please excuse my ignorance. I'm trying to do what should be a pretty simple find and replace. I want to replace: base=xyz*cntry=123*type=simple wist base=differentbase*cntry=123*type=simple I have to include the type field in my search and the asterik's are part of the text, not wildcards. The only thing I want to change is the base. I put this in for the search criteria: base=xyz*cnty=???*type=simple This finds all the lines I'm looking for so, so far, so good. For the replace string, I use this: base=differentbase*cntry=???*ty...

Using a string variable to reference an Object
Hi, I'm constructing a computer room diagram where there are multiple racks with equipment in each. I have a spreadsheet which has the RackName and ShelfPosition and I would like the diagram to "move" the equipement from one rack to another based one the data. I can move equipment up and down in a shelf. I am trying to use the ShapeSheets BeginX et al to include the RackName variable that matches the Visio Shapename ie Rack is call Rack_A1 in both the spread sheet and is the Visio Shapename as well. I need to make the variable become the Shape Object so that I can use ...

CFile create a hidden file
Is it possible to create a hidden file with MFC class CFile. I tried to use CFile::open(filename, CFile::hidden), but the created file is not hidden. Thanks and regards, Thomas hi, you can use the SDK createfile ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/MS.MSDN.v80/MS.WIN32COM.v10.en/fileio/fs/createfile.htm "milonass" wrote: > Is it possible to create a hidden file with MFC class CFile. > I tried to use CFile::open(filename, CFile::hidden), but the created file is > not hidden. > > Thanks and regards, > Thomas ex. HANDLE HFile = CreateFile(_T"C:\\...

Anyone here use Trusted Keywords?
I tell you our department got 100-300 spam emails a day, and this was being sent to nonpublished addresses! I don't know how they got our addresses, but they did. Our IT guy who is a smart fellow, spent some time on the internet to come up with something tht would work for us, and he found Spam CSI - Crime Scene Investigator. I don't know where he got it from but he says its all over google. Anyway, this thing does a million tricks, but the one we like the most is that we can set it up to look for a special keyword in the email, and if it finds it, it lets it go through. If it d...

How do you create themes for Office SW #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi guys, I am struggling to identify ways in which I can create a custom theme for Word, PowerPoint and other MS Office documents? Compared to Office for Windows, there is no Design and Theme tabs on Macs, so I wonder if this is possible at all. Thank you and apologies for my ignorance. Tomas In Mac Office 2008 they're referred to as "Document Themes" but aren't implemented as fully as in 2007... specifically, "Effects" are not included. See Help on themes in any of the Office apps as w...

Counting Unique Record #s
I have a database showing assignments with their subassignments. On reports, I am attempting to count unique AssignmentIDs under groups (for example different months the assignments are due). Unfortunately, if the assignment has two (or more) sub assignments, the count function counts the AssignmentID twice (since it lists the AssignmentID with the SubAssignment ID). Do you know a way to get around this so I can count how many unique main assignments are under each group? Totals query. GroupBy your "group"; Count your AssignmentID. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Ac...

Same form for new/edit record problem
Hi there, I have a form which has a load event to get the dmax(UserID)+5 to populate the UserID with the new code. However, I want to use this same form to edit existing records. When u user double-clicks on another sub-form's UserID field, it should open the same "edit users" form as stated first, but this time obviously with the selected record's information. The problem is that the form's load event gets the new code, and therefore don't allow for editing of records. How can I do both with the same form? Thank you kindly! -- The Psyber Fox h...