Using Windows Service and CRM

Happy Holidays, All!

This isn't covered in the SDK, that I can see, but we have a service running
that needs to query the CRM database (using the SDK) - but it is running on
an application server out side of CRM.  We can do this with impersonation,
using an existing user in CRM - but the password needs to be hardcoded that
way - making it necessary to revisit the applicatin every 90 days...

Any other thoughts on how to run a windows service against CRM?

Thanks!
Kristina

0
Kristina
12/29/2003 2:09:41 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Kristina,

Ideally (and technically, legally), the service sould have it's own ID.
What we've done though is to setup a user that didn't have a password that
changed.  In our case, we were able to do that with the same service account
that was running CRM and was used for Admin purposes, so we were OK.  It's
not perfect, but then what in relation to CRM is?

Matt

"Kristina Ledford" <noemails@noemails.com> wrote in message
Happy Holidays, All!

This isn't covered in the SDK, that I can see, but we have a service running
that needs to query the CRM database (using the SDK) - but it is running on
an application server out side of CRM.  We can do this with impersonation,
using an existing user in CRM - but the password needs to be hardcoded that
way - making it necessary to revisit the applicatin every 90 days...

Any other thoughts on how to run a windows service against CRM?

Thanks!
Kristina

0
Matt

Using TM Interscan as a smart host for outgoing mail
Hi All, I'm trying to set up my SMTP Gateway for outgoing mail, in addition to inbound. I have configured the gateway as a smart host on my Exchange 2000 box by going to the properties of my SMTP connector. Additionally, on Trend Interscan E-mail Virus Wall v3.53 I have allowed outbound mail. The options are (my config in brackets); Enable Outgoing Mail processing (ticked) Specify the IP address of any mail server that will be sending mail to the InterScan machine (192.168.1.1) Specify how outgoing mail will be delivered; Either forward mail to SMTP server or Use DNS (use DNS selec...

Exchange 2003 & MS CRM Network traffic
Hello We have a Windows 2003 AD infrastructure with Exchange 2003sp2 running on a dediated server. We have Microsoft CRM 3.0 on its own dedicated server. We have an issue with a couple of Vista Business client, with Outlook 2007, and CRM installed. When outlook is openned (and CRM client starts) - all is fine until user gets an email. Once an email is received, outlook.exe consumes c. 30% CPU and then opens a connection to the exchange server at a constant 3Mb/s. This continues till Outlook is closed and then comes back as soon as Outlook is restarted and a new email is received. There a...

Telephone number for Telefonica Windows Live Call
Hi. Having trouble adding minutes to my account. Anyone have a phone number or e-mail for either Telefonica or Windows Live Call that I can contact for help? Thanks! Greetings, Supposedly, if you head over to: http://support.live.us.telefonica.com/?Country=US&Language=en Choose Payment and Balance Problems on the side, and then choose one of the "problems" listed, then choose " If you are still having trouble after the above steps, please Click Here ", you'll reach a form to assist. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Mes...

which should I use: Outlook or ACCESS?
I'm a long-time ACT user and want to change. With 5,000 contacts I want to see contacts and their respective histories, todo's, calls, meetings, attachments, etc.. ... and i'd like to use template to write letters, emails, etc. I'm using Outlook for my currently over 5'500 contacts. If there's something I want to write about a contact and there's no such field (like history) I use the big comment field. If you need to do more things (what Outlook doesn't support) go with Access. Or you could start with Outlook and later export the data if you really ne...

Reset recently used files in Publisher to higher number
I want to set the number of recently used files in Publisher to nine from the four that it shows me at present. I can't find anywhere to change this. I'm using Publisher 2003. I don't think you can do that in Publisher but I'm sure that someone will chirp up if I'm mistaken. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07E5ABDF-9C44-4091-8620-1AA38931EF91@microsoft.com... >I want to set the number of recently used files in Publisher to nine from >the > four that it shows me at prese...

Windows 7 upgrade of XP Pro with IE 8 and getting Certificate Erro
My PC was recently upgraded from XP Pro with Windows 7 Pro and I also had IE running on my machine under XP. now when I browse to many sites I am getting a certificate warning message in IE. I can choose to continue on to the site (even though it says that is not recommended.). But this is VERY ANNOYING! Pleas help! I have tried adjusting many different IE settings, and verified the date-time is correct on my PC. This is happening on valid web sites. So far not very happy with this upgrade! Below is the error message I am seeing in IE: -----------------------------------...

Trying to install Microsoft CRM with OutLook on Windows 2000
When trying install MS CRM 1.2 disk 2 (Sales for Outlook), I am prevented from completing the install as I get the message "installation failed" "you must install SQL Desktop Server Engine separately". When trying to install it separately the setup seems to start running then stops after extracting files and doesn't complete. There are no error messages and nothing in the Event Viewer ? If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful for your help. ...

Free 'absolute beginners' guide for making charts using Excel
If you are want the ABC's of making charts and a new way to look at the chart-making process, try this free book at http://www.vgupta.com ...

Publish customization error in Microsoft CRM
We have a new MS CRM installation and are attempting to publish our first customizations. Went to Deployment Manager, Publish Customization and walked through the wizard with the following error every time we try: (Assert failure – Enterprise SDK\OCCA\file repository\lib\frmgr.cpp1295 false:FSFactoryListener-impt:: Update: Fail to insert the factory) Publish completed with errors Please see event log for details SERVER:***Error*** Failed to download XSL template files from webserver Still tried the iis reset and a reboot, but the customizations are not visible to the users. The l...

how to protect appointed rows or columns to use the mouse and keyboard
hzh, You could include some text in your post. Maybe then we could figure out what you mean by "appointed"?? "To use the mouse and keyboard" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Maybe you're a new poster??? If so, take a look here before reposting: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm Most anything that could be asked in the newsgroups has already been answered. Take a look here and you may just find what you're looking for (whatever that is)?? http://tinyurl.com/29pby John "hzh" <hzh62@163.com> wrote in message news:7A2382EE-00E6-4679...

Use Outlook 2000 to retrieve Hotmail email?
Can someone tell me how to Use Outlook 2000 to retrieve Hotmail email? It keeps asking for a POP3 account info, when hotmail uses HTTP instead, very frustating. Thanks I don't think you can do this - you need to use either Outlook Express or Outlook XP (2002). --Dean. "John Luton" <JL112055@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:39e901c355aa$b1e17550$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Can someone tell me how to Use Outlook 2000 to retrieve > Hotmail email? It keeps asking for a POP3 account info, > when hotmail uses HTTP instead, very frustating. Thanks ...

CRM 3.0
In CRm 1.2 you could see the User Licenses, and assign them or remove them, etc. I don't see where you do this in CRM 3.0. Is it the Enable / Disable action on the Users screen? Thanks, Boolean1 CRM 3.0 uses a different model for users than 1.2. Because of the new service scheduling functionality, users can be created in CRM 3.0 so they are available for scheduling service activities -- even if the user is not a CRM licensee. There is a new box on the user record called "Restricted Access Mode" for such "unlicensed" users. This basically makes them availabl...

CRM Install problem
The first install disk asked for another disk "Service Pack 3" to be installed so it could get some files. What SP3 disk it is looking for? I am rying to add CRM onto a machine with Small Business Server 2000. u must sql server service pack 3 install Thanks, I'll do that. >-----Original Message----- >u must sql server service pack 3 install > > >. > ...

attach an excel workbook using send object method
I am sending emails from Access using SendObject and would like to attach an Excel workbook to the email. Any suggestions? -- Dar Hi Dar, SendObject will not work in this case, since it is only designed to send an object *within* the database (table, query, report, etc.). If you are using Outlook, you can try the method that I show on page 19 of a Word document that I call Access Links.doc. You are welcome to download a zipped copy, here: http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/ Tom Wickerath Microsoft Access MVP http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/ http://www.access.qbuilt.com/htm...

Signature for Email from CRM Contact
How do you get the signature on an email that is generated from the Contact Enity. The outlook signature works from the CRM standard tool bar. IS there something I am missing You'll want to setup an email template...I haven't figured out how to get my company logo in yet, but that's where you'll want to start... James Sanford "Brenda" wrote: > How do you get the signature on an email that is generated from the Contact > Enity. The outlook signature works from the CRM standard tool bar. IS there > something I am missing Thank you. I am also hav...

Adding using conditional cell
I have a two cells one with a 'number' value and another with a 'text' value i would like to have the number cell add up based on the text value. ie. 1 2 3 4 A 2 S B 2 S C 3 SM So then, because row A and B's text is S they will be added together to = 4. is there a way where i can make a formula or a table to calculate this? Z First, sort your data by that second column, so all the S's are grouped together. Then add a single header row at the top of your data. Select that range (all the rows and all the columns you need) and do:...

CRM and Sharepoint integration feature pack
Does anyone know how close microsoft are to releasing the above feature pack enhancement which was due out Q3 of 2004? I have been to the download centre and see the other enhancements are out but the sharepoint one is not out yet. Thks I have never heard of this but would like details if such a thing does exist. Are you referring to the Microsoft Office Information Bridge Framework for Microsoft CRM? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=332BEFFB-4492-40D7-8CE0-995489909B6A&displaylang=en "sherry" <sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Inventory report that shows how much of an item was used over time
Howdy. Not overly well-versed in how to pull various reports, but we are looking to find a report that will show us how much of an item was used (in assemblies) over any given time period. Is this something that is found in Reports or would it be a Smartlist view. And, how do we get there? Thanks in advance for any help! mv ...

How do I use auto fill to add information from an existing source?
I am trying to figure out how to use some type of auto fill. What I have to do is put in a customer name and then I need to have the address, city, state, zip and phone number automatically fill in. How would I do that? Assume Sheet2's cols A to F is the existing reference, where col A contains the names, cols B to F contain the other info, eg: address, city, state, zip and phone number In Sheet1, you have the names listed in A2 down Put in B2: =IF($A2="","",VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A:$F,COLUMNS($A:A)+1,0)) Copy B2 across to F2, fill down as far as required -- Max ...

Outlook 2003
Hi Does anyone know how do I set links that I open from an E- mail to be open in a used Internet Explorer window instead of open it in a new window? In Office XP it used to open in a used Explorer window and in 2003 it always open in a new window. How do I change it? Thanks, Inbal Per Microsoft, this is a feature and you cant change the behaviour. ...

How do I organize my drop-down font list? Most-used first.
I hate going through the whole font list each time I design (or update) a page. Any way to organize the drop-down font list with my "favorites" at the top of the list? Thank you!! Not an option. Besides, with only a handful of web-safe fonts you really shouldn't need to. http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B633D68-8C98-4DAA-A024-4B240CDE4650@microsoft.com... > I hate going throu...

Macro problem
Hi, I have a spreadsheet for keeping track of my golf scores. The spreadsheet uses a macro for copying the scores to a database sheet and to a statistics sheet. When running this macro the process fails on the statistics sheet. It involves copying 2 matrices from the scorecard sheet to the statistics sheet. If I uninstall the security updates for Excel 2007 in Windows 7 the spreadsheet works like a charm. I usually just removes all excel updates and unchecks updates for excel in Windows Update. However, now I have this update, that keeps installing itself after a reboot (KB982308). I ...

Outlook express in XP with IE 6
My wife had an XP IE6 computer with Outlook Express. Well, I got her a new computer with IE 8 and Windows 7 but now she can't access her emails. Any help would be much appreciated. Ricku\y wrote: > My wife had an XP IE6 computer with Outlook Express. Well, I got her a new > computer with IE 8 and Windows 7 but now she can't access her emails. Any > help would be much appreciated. Windows 7 doesn't include an e-mail client. You'll have to pick one and install it. When it was supported, OE came bundled with IE. OE has long been unsupported. It...

Switching companies using SQL Passthrough
I have an application that uses SQL_Passthrough. As part of the code you must execute a statement that uses the appropriate database. The code looks like this: set SQL_Statements to "use MYDB"; status = SQL_Execute(SQL_connection, field SQL_Statements); This works fine, but my application can be used for any number of databases. At first, I modified it to use the Dex.ini file, which works. Here is the modification: dbname = Defaults_Read("SQLDB"); dbopencommand = "use " + dbname; set SQL_Statements to dbopencommand; status = SQL_Execute(SQL_connection,...

Problem with KB during CRM 4 install
I'm trying to install offline CRM 4 client on an XP client. I can only get so far with the install. It asks to install Visual C++, which I do. It then says that I need to install KB928365, but when I try to install it doesn't complete. I then try the install again, and the exact same thing. It says I need to install C++, which I do, but then the KB issue occurs, but the same thing. Anyone run into this? Thanks Mike ...