Upgrading MS CRM 3.0 to MS CRM 4.0 - required precautionary measures?

We have an MS CRM 3.0 setup and running well for quite long time. We would 
like to upgrade it to MS CRM 4.0.

Current setup is,
1. Lot of reports added & customized for user needs
2. Lot of entities added & customized for user needs
3. Lot of forms added & customized for user needs
4. Lot of custom developed pages added (developed in ASP.NET 1.1). Of course 
it's running on separate site but integrated inside the MS CRM 3.0 (so 
typically used MS CRM 3.0 service calls)
5. Lot of Stored Procedure's & View's added
6. Customized the settings based on user needs

My doubts are
1. What all the precautionary measure should be taken before upgrading?
2. What would be easier & shortest way to upgrade this? (Any tricky part 
included like changing registry/meta files etc...)
3. If we upgrade it to MS CRM 4.0 is there any need of re-writing 
code/customizations/reports?
4. Do we have any chance of loosing data/structures/reports/pages?
5. Whether we can add our custom developed pages under ISV folder without 
creating separate site? If so, does it support the pages developed in 
ASP.NET 1.1?
6. Whether custom applications (snapins/addins) developed for Microsoft 
Outlook 2003/2007 using VSTO for 2005 supports MS CRM 4.0?

Other requests
1. Anybody having MS CRM 4.0 ER Diagrams?

That's all for now... Please advice...
-- 
Thanks & Regards,
Ajai Kumar .R 

0
2/20/2008 4:24:17 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

2 Replies
437 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 42

the upgrade is straight-forward and seamless...

all reports and customizations in MS CRM 3 as long as based on supported 
scripts, they will be upgraded to v4 without any problem.

you custom pages (.NET 1.1 ASP.NET) are still backward compatible, but we 
recommend to rebuild it in .NET 2.0 ASP.NET Framework for better performance 
and compatibility of the run-time.

"Ajai" <ajaikumarr@gmail.com-plzdontspam> wrote in message 
news:3D1E841D-F53E-42F0-B4B1-3A280C303E2B@microsoft.com...
> We have an MS CRM 3.0 setup and running well for quite long time. We would 
> like to upgrade it to MS CRM 4.0.
>
> Current setup is,
> 1. Lot of reports added & customized for user needs
> 2. Lot of entities added & customized for user needs
> 3. Lot of forms added & customized for user needs
> 4. Lot of custom developed pages added (developed in ASP.NET 1.1). Of 
> course it's running on separate site but integrated inside the MS CRM 3.0 
> (so typically used MS CRM 3.0 service calls)
> 5. Lot of Stored Procedure's & View's added
> 6. Customized the settings based on user needs
>
> My doubts are
> 1. What all the precautionary measure should be taken before upgrading?
> 2. What would be easier & shortest way to upgrade this? (Any tricky part 
> included like changing registry/meta files etc...)
> 3. If we upgrade it to MS CRM 4.0 is there any need of re-writing 
> code/customizations/reports?
> 4. Do we have any chance of loosing data/structures/reports/pages?
> 5. Whether we can add our custom developed pages under ISV folder without 
> creating separate site? If so, does it support the pages developed in 
> ASP.NET 1.1?
> 6. Whether custom applications (snapins/addins) developed for Microsoft 
> Outlook 2003/2007 using VSTO for 2005 supports MS CRM 4.0?
>
> Other requests
> 1. Anybody having MS CRM 4.0 ER Diagrams?
>
> That's all for now... Please advice...
> -- 
> Thanks & Regards,
> Ajai Kumar .R 

0
fallar (47)
2/20/2008 7:22:24 AM
see my blog post , issue regarding upgrade, please keep that in mind.
http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

-- 
Regards,
Imran
MS CRM Certified Professional


http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com



"Benjamin Fallar III" wrote:

> the upgrade is straight-forward and seamless...
> 
> all reports and customizations in MS CRM 3 as long as based on supported 
> scripts, they will be upgraded to v4 without any problem.
> 
> you custom pages (.NET 1.1 ASP.NET) are still backward compatible, but we 
> recommend to rebuild it in .NET 2.0 ASP.NET Framework for better performance 
> and compatibility of the run-time.
> 
> "Ajai" <ajaikumarr@gmail.com-plzdontspam> wrote in message 
> news:3D1E841D-F53E-42F0-B4B1-3A280C303E2B@microsoft.com...
> > We have an MS CRM 3.0 setup and running well for quite long time. We would 
> > like to upgrade it to MS CRM 4.0.
> >
> > Current setup is,
> > 1. Lot of reports added & customized for user needs
> > 2. Lot of entities added & customized for user needs
> > 3. Lot of forms added & customized for user needs
> > 4. Lot of custom developed pages added (developed in ASP.NET 1.1). Of 
> > course it's running on separate site but integrated inside the MS CRM 3.0 
> > (so typically used MS CRM 3.0 service calls)
> > 5. Lot of Stored Procedure's & View's added
> > 6. Customized the settings based on user needs
> >
> > My doubts are
> > 1. What all the precautionary measure should be taken before upgrading?
> > 2. What would be easier & shortest way to upgrade this? (Any tricky part 
> > included like changing registry/meta files etc...)
> > 3. If we upgrade it to MS CRM 4.0 is there any need of re-writing 
> > code/customizations/reports?
> > 4. Do we have any chance of loosing data/structures/reports/pages?
> > 5. Whether we can add our custom developed pages under ISV folder without 
> > creating separate site? If so, does it support the pages developed in 
> > ASP.NET 1.1?
> > 6. Whether custom applications (snapins/addins) developed for Microsoft 
> > Outlook 2003/2007 using VSTO for 2005 supports MS CRM 4.0?
> >
> > Other requests
> > 1. Anybody having MS CRM 4.0 ER Diagrams?
> >
> > That's all for now... Please advice...
> > -- 
> > Thanks & Regards,
> > Ajai Kumar .R 
> 
0
mscrmexpert (134)
2/20/2008 5:10:03 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Resource Scheduling #4
We currently use Outlook 2002 and exchange server 5.5. We have a group of users who are tutors. The tutor's appointments are scheduled by a scheduling team. We understand how to allow the scheduling team the correct permissions to make entries in the tutors' diaries using delegate permissions, however, we want to create a situation where the tutors can make entries in their own diaries but cannot change entries made by the scheduling team. We carried out the following on a test tutor diary in Outlook. Tools Options; Calendar Options; Resource Scheduling, we ticked the option...

MS SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Add-n for MS Sharepoint CUub
I am trying to get SQL Reporting Services installed in the MOSS 2007 test environment (SP2). After my servers and Farm are set up and running, I install MS SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Add-in for MS Sharepoint Technologies. When I try to build a cube (which worked before I installed the add-in), my cube build services breaks with an ActiveX Component Can't Create error I've searched the internet high and low for a workaround, but the only one I find that works is removing the Add-in. Not a good choice as we want this running to mirror our production. I se...

Cannot log on to the system After upgrade from 1.2 to 3.0
Hi The CRM Server 1.2 upgrade to 3.0 and SQL Server 2000 sp4 in the Same box. Windows Server 2003 SP1 Environment After upgraded from CRM 1.2 and everything went good. When i tried to log on to the CRM 3.0 i recieved the following error: Authentication Error Microsoft CRM could not log you on to the system. Make sure your user record is enabled and that you have been assigned at least one security role. For more information, contact your system administrator. I have checked the authetication is checked to Windows integrated but received the same error message. Any help ...

Money 3.0 XP and Networking Query
Hi, I have a client who is using money 3 for personal purposes for keeping track of shares and dividends and such. I realise Money 3 is very old (looks like it was for windows 3.1!) but he does not wish to upgrade to a newer version of money which is more complicated and has many features which he will never use. My questions are: 1] Will money 3 work reliably in XP? 2] Has anyone tried using money 3 over a network? i.e. sharing the file and using it on different computers (it would not have to be at the same time).? Otherwise, can you suggest a program that can deal with buying/se...

win CE 6.0 build error
Im running MIPSII CPU on Win CE 6.0 everything was well on building BSP until I updated R3 and several QFE for Win CE 6.0 from Jan --> Aug 2009. sysgen ERROR is the one I get - it fails within a minute of SYSGEN or clean SYSGEN the folliwing is what I get from build.log at \WINCE600\ -------------------- icrosoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 8.00.50727.42 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. -nodefaultlib -include:DllMain -entry:_DllMainCRTStartup -pdb:C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\build_test\build_test\Wince600\simuMIPSII_MIPSII\cesysgen\oak\target\MIPSI...

2002 MS Money restore
I've used MS Money 2002 for the past 6 years. I recently got a virus and had to have the computer re-set, I apparently lost the saved back-up files. I have the files on disc, but I have been unable to re-install them on Money 2002. I've tried "restore backup files", "import" and "open", with no good results. Any ideas? HELP What happens? What errors? etc etc What O/S? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or http://umpmfaq.info/ I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for...

MS Word
EVEN WHEN I CLICK THE INVISIBLES BUTTON, THEY REMAIN ON, HOW DO YOU TUEN THEM OFF? Roger Migdow <roger@rm-pro.com> wrote: > EVEN WHEN I CLICK THE INVISIBLES BUTTON, THEY REMAIN ON, HOW > DO YOU TUEN THEM OFF? What version of Word do you use? What do you mean by "the invisibles button"? The button to hide/show the nonprinting characters (tabs, spaces and so on)? If so, have a look under "view" in the preferences menu . Are the non-printing characters that you want to turn off checked? If so, uncheck them! The hide/show nonprinting characters button only t...

Help Desk Module for CRM 4.0
Is there a help desk module for IT service management that the end users and the IT department with CRM 4.0 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=624233e3-6ef9-44...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64
I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista x86 (32 bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86. I have a 'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that came with both 32 and 64 bit disks. I have installed the 64 bit version onto the desktop. I want to install the 64 bit version of Win7 onto my laptop but Microsoft insist they will only provide the 32 bit version as I am 'updating' from a 32 bit version. (seems that they are being simply bloody minded). My question is can I successfully install the 64 bit ve...

1.0 to 1.2 upgrade error (AD and SQLAccessGroup)
I am attempting to upgrade to 1.2. I have CRM server and SQL on the same server. 1.0 works fine and I have all the upgrades in place as far as I can tell. During 1.2 setup i get the error: Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server. Setup was unable to add the account to SQLAccessGroup in Active Directory. There is no such object on the server. (80072030) The SQLAccessGroup does in fact exist in AD and I am installing using the administrator account. Thanks. How many DC's do you have? "Don Bishop" <newsgroup@affinigent.com> wrote in message news:016a01...

My MS Publisher 2002 booklet passes printers OK
And I mean the official printing company who will print out the booklet for the reunion. Yippppeee I took a CD of what I have and they could open the file. Whew. Just wanted everyone here to know I appreciated the help you gave me along the way. AnnE in MN Good news, AnnE, wish we could take a look at it. Maybe you can convert it to a PDF and put it on a web site. Thanks for your update, it is great to know. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "AnnE" <AnnE@spam.proof.com> wrote in me...

Convert Access 2.0 to Access 2000
I need to convert an Access 2.0 database running in Windows 3.95 on one computer to Access 2000 in Windows 98 on another computer on our network. I don't even know where to start. Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That is an option for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. > Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate > conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That Yes, some things will break in converting from 2.0 to 97, and you can fix them before converting from 97 to...

0 values in pivot tables
Hello everyone, I have a pivot table and I have a field that calculates the average of scores for certain people according to the number of records that they correctly created in a database. The score is determined by the number of records created correctly divided by the total number of records. In some cases, some people have not created any records. It is grouped like this on the list : Sales Manager Sales Rep Score John Jim 50% John Andy 60% John James 70% John Peter ...

crm workflows not executing or appearing in workflow monitor
Running crm version 3.0 with rollup 2 installed. Workflows are no appearing in the workflow monitor or being executed via the workflow service. Our workflows were working fine and then stopped working and any new workflow created is not being executied or displayed in the workflow monitor. We have gone so far as to delete all workflows and create one simple opportunity workflow that checks one field value on create and sets another. The workflow can be activated and updated via thwe workflow manager, but does not appear in the monitor and does not execute. The service is running and th...

Promoting Emails to CRM 08-30-05
I just wanted to know if any one else has had any problems with users not being able to promote emails to CRM, Or Creating Contacts. Both actions are resulting in Scripting Errors, Although the Contact is created (the email is not promoted) Any help on this would be appreciated ...

Upgrading the CPU?
I was thinking about possibly upgrading my current 1.6 GHz CPU on my Dell Desktop with a faster 2.2 GHz CPU (which is compatible and available), but I had a couple of general questions: Would upgrading the CPU would require some, or perhaps most, apps to need to be reactivated again, due to tripping some copy protection features of the apps? IOW, will apps typically look at that alone and that's enough, or does it take 2 or more large changes to the system to normally trigger it? Also, when making image backups on my system to my second internal SATA2 drive, I am now get...

ANN: nxslt (.NET XSLT Command Line Utility) version 1.4
Hello! I'm glad to announce version 1.4 of nxslt - .NET XSLT command line utility. It's maintenance release. What is nxslt ------------- nxslt is a feature-rich command line utility that allows to perform XSL Transformations (XSLT) using .NET Framework's XSLT implementation - System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform class. nxslt basically dublicates functionality and command line options, provided by Microsoft's MSXSL.EXE Command Line Transformation Utility. In addition, nxslt has some distinct advanced features, like support for XInclude, embedded stylesheets, custom URI resolving, mult...

#DIV/0! error
Dear All I am sure this problem I have can be easily resolved however, I have tried all the online help without success. I want to work out the percentage of two numbers however, to be able include zeros as part of the template. Example C1/B1=D1 as a percentage. Obviously when zero's are entered into the cells it generates the '#DIV/0!'. I have tried entering '=IF(C1=0,"",C1/B1) but it still comes back with the error. Additionally, can you write a conditional format that changes what is displayed when you get an error message? IE. =IF(D1=#DIV/0!,"100"...

CRM should have document templates and document generation
1) Users should be able to maintain document (i.e. letter) templates inside CRM. 2) Users should be able to generate a letter (from a template) for a client. 3) A "Letter Activity" should be created with the document attached. 4) This should be available through the Web Client as well as Outlook ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Mi...

8.0 Upgrade
We are going to be performing an upgrade to 8.0 in the next month. Next week we will be doing a test migration and have 3+ weeks scheduled for testing. Does anyone have any documentation of things to consider or issues they had with the upgrade. Anything would be helpful, as I am just trying to ensure all the bases are covered. Thanks, Zach Morgan zachary.morgan@cbs.fiserv.com What are you upgrading from? "Zach Morgan" <ZachMorgan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B4011720-BF9F-4155-AF3C-131AEB8FFD0E@microsoft.com... > We are going to be performing...

Date format #4
how do i change the date format from xx/xx/xxxx (which I guess must be the default) to xx/xx/xx? I have Money Small Business 2004. Sorry I failed to mention that I'm referring to the Accounts register. Charley "BiggoCharley" <cca@deltaforge.com> wrote in message news:M0Thd.26097$Qv5.557@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com... > how do i change the date format from xx/xx/xxxx (which I guess must be the > default) to xx/xx/xx? I have Money Small Business 2004. > Money uses the dates from the computer it is installed on, so you should change it in Control Panel->...

Problem with resolution of CRM contact emails
Hi, Our system seems to have a problem with contact email addresses. When Outlook autofills CRM contact emails it sometimes does not resolve the email, only the contact name. I'm finding it difficult to replicate this problem, but some of te CRM users have definitely experienced it. Has anyone met this scenario before? (and does anyone know what to do about it???) Thanks! Tom ...

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade
Hi, Well, it's been six months and I still haven't got it. What I have gotten good at is moving SQL databases around and restoring from backup images. I've gotten that down to under 25 minutes for both the system and CRM+CRM website drives. Us newbies just beat our heads against the box until it breaks, restore, read, read, read and try again. First it was the ImportDefaultDataAction failure, then the GrantDatabaseAccessAction failure, now I am hitting a UpgradeCustomizationsAction failure, Object reference not set to an instance of the object, sheesh. I've learned...

Downloading transactions #3
up-graded to money 2006 deluxe from 2005. unable to download tranactions from bank web sited to money. not a problem before until up-grade. any help? thanks -- JOHHNY M In microsoft.public.money, JOHNNY M wrote: >up-graded to money 2006 deluxe from 2005. unable to download tranactions >from bank web sited to money. not a problem before until up-grade. any help? >thanks How are you downloading? OFX file from website that is fed to Money as it comes into your computer? What happens differently than it used to happen? When I downloaded recent transactions in money 2005, ...

Pivot table question #4
Hello all, I am working on a Excel data table. The 3 columns are year(i.e. 2011), dollar amount, purchase dollar amount. I have been asked to group by year in the following buckets. 0-2 years 2-3 years 3-5 years 5-10 years 10+ years I seem to be able to group by 2 year intervals, 3 year intervals etc, but cannot seem to group as I have been asked. That is 2 years, then 1 year, then 2 years, then 5 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! TimD On Feb 10, 7:36=A0pm, tdkooch <malor...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello all, > I am working on a Excel data table. =A0The 3...