upgrade to 4.0 then cluster, or cluster 3.0 then upgrade

Hi,
I am facing my next two-stage project:
(stage 1) transform our single-server (all-in-one) CRM 3.0 deployment to two
clusters with web farm (2 NLB nodes) and SQL failover cluster (2 servers
active/passive);
(stage 2) upgrade CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0.
What is the better (easier and smoother) way to do this?  I mean the order
of stages, should I do upgrade 3.0->4.0 first, then transformation to
cluster, or vice versa?
I am on the stage of preliminary estimation of hurdles, so any help or
advice will be greatly appreciated.

--
Best regards,
alebas

Hi,
it depends :)
If the NLB and SQL will be on new HW IMO the best way is

0a) make image (i use Acronis) of your old server
0b) restore image in sandbox an make a test upgrade (i also use Acronis
for P2V or P2P redeployment of servers)
1) Upgrade on old HW
2) make fresh installation on new HW (SQL failover)
3) install CRM on NLB without any organization
4) move your upgraded database to new SQL server
5) import organization from your already (on old HW) upgraded database.

Erik

alebas wrote:
> Hi,
> I am facing my next two-stage project:
> (stage 1) transform our single-server (all-in-one) CRM 3.0 deployment to two
> clusters with web farm (2 NLB nodes) and SQL failover cluster (2 servers
> active/passive);
> (stage 2) upgrade CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0.
> What is the better (easier and smoother) way to do this?  I mean the order
> of stages, should I do upgrade 3.0->4.0 first, then transformation to
> cluster, or vice versa?
> I am on the stage of preliminary estimation of hurdles, so any help or
> advice will be greatly appreciated.

0
nomail1753 (12)
6/20/2008 1:22:49 PM
Hi, Erik.

Thank you for answer. I like your way as it achieves both clean new
installation and upgraded database.

Major concern is about workflows and custom apps in this case.

Anyway, thank you very much.

--
Best regards,
alebas

"Erik Caha" wrote:

> Hi,
> it depends :)
> If the NLB and SQL will be on new HW IMO the best way is
>
> 0a) make image (i use Acronis) of your old server
> 0b) restore image in sandbox an make a test upgrade (i also use Acronis
> for P2V or P2P redeployment of servers)
> 1) Upgrade on old HW
> 2) make fresh installation on new HW (SQL failover)
> 3) install CRM on NLB without any organization
> 4) move your upgraded database to new SQL server
> 5) import organization from your already (on old HW) upgraded database.
>
> Erik
>
> alebas wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am facing my next two-stage project:
> > (stage 1) transform our single-server (all-in-one) CRM 3.0 deployment to two
> > clusters with web farm (2 NLB nodes) and SQL failover cluster (2 servers
> > active/passive);
> > (stage 2) upgrade CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0.
> > What is the better (easier and smoother) way to do this?  I mean the order
> > of stages, should I do upgrade 3.0->4.0 first, then transformation to
> > cluster, or vice versa?
> > I am on the stage of preliminary estimation of hurdles, so any help or
> > advice will be greatly appreciated.

0
alebas (10)

Can't reboot after installing Service Pack 3
I have a 3 year old HP desktop, running Windows XP. I had to do a PC restore due to a virus (PC restore lost all my docs and images, dang it). I reloaded my Office Professional 2000 (I need Word and Excel), and then downloaded and ran Microsoft upgrade Service Pack 3. All went very well until I tried to restart. The computer will not boot up. It tries and tires and tires until I finally turn it off. I've done this twice with the same outcome. I use AVG 9.0 wnen you call HP they till you too restore! and how to Kill that virus ? Did you Click on Windows Update ...

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226
My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09. The "Error Details" is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error code with no specific fixes recommended. Anybody have an idea as to how to resolve this issue? "BigRedWingsFan" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:uA$ddLKbKHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to > load the subject update on 20 different occasions s...

Money 2004 #4
I see that some are using this latest version. So where is the Microsoft info on this product? http://www.microsoft.com/money/default.asp only lists 2003 versions. http://shop.microsoft.com/ only shows 2003 versions http://shop.microsoft.com/special/itsnew/ only says "Coming Soon" Where can I get a list of features so I can make an informed choice between Quicken products and MS Money products? Thanks Brian W In microsoft.public.money, Brian W wrote: > >Where can I get a list of features so I can make an informed choice between >Quicken products and MS Money prod...

Installing MSCRM 3.0
We are in the process of setting up a test configuration of CRM 3.0, using a backup of our CRM 1.2 data. We are performing a 'clean installation' of CRM 3 on a new Windows 2003 Server machine, running SQL2005 on a separate Windows 2003 Server machine. Our existing CRM 1.2 configuration has the c360 Activity Summary customization installed. Backups taken from existing CRM 1.2 databases, located on machine name CRM: ART_MSCRM.bak ART_METABASE.bak distribution.bak New databases created on new SQL2005 server, machine name CRM-SQL: ART_MSCRM ART_METABASE distribution SQL2005 datab...

RE: printerror: "unable to load client print control" 4.0 report
im getting this error operating with SQL Estandar Edition 2008 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 Sp2 anyone now how to solve this? Hi Erika, Please check following article for the same.. http://edwardsdnadynamicscrm.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D5F22FDCDD6519D5!466.entry -- Regards, Mayank Pujara "Erika Ontiveros" wrote: > im getting this error operating with SQL Estandar Edition 2008 SP1 and > Windows Server 2008 Sp2 > > anyone now how to solve this? ...

3 password failures in RMS 2.0 sp2?
Hi all, This seems to be a simple issue but I cannot find the answer to this one. We have a client who is upgrading to 2.0 sp2 and they want to set logins to 3 failures. I believe 2.0 defaults to 6. Where are the settings for this? Thank You. ...

Category Groups #3
How does one edit the category groups in Money 2004? Not talking about normal categories and sub-categories. Talking about the Category Groups. In microsoft.public.money, Dick Reid wrote: >How does one edit the category groups in Money 2004? Not >talking about normal categories and sub-categories. >Talking about the Category Groups. See FAQ available at http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/ for information. ...

printerror:"unable to load client print control" 4.0 report
I am using CRM 4.0 with SQL Server 2008, is there a fix for this? I did remove the KB956391 update on the client but that only allowed me to try to install the print control. When I try to install the control it looks like it finishes and then I get the same "Unable to load client print control". I am using Windows XP Prof. The server is Server 2003. RisingSunND, I'm going to give credit to my colleague, Dave Ireland, on this answer. --- • install the SRS redistributable package on the CRM server • install SQL SP3 on the SQL database and the SSRS server (if they are diff...

report -> price history source & 3-decimal numbers
installed money 2003 standard this last april2003. got all investments setup in price history report with [date] as [year-to-date]. rows/columns set with source fields picked. a black dot shows up at each buy date EXCEPT buy dates AFTER the original money install date. what is happening here?.....how to get dots to appear after install date.? transactions activity are listed as [add shares] on 1/2/2003 and [buy] on monthly buy dates. also on the [home] page the share prices in best/worst performers & summary lists are shown in 3-decimal places. how to change these to 2-d...

crm 3 outlook forward as attachment rule removing attachment in original message.
CRM 3 Exchange 2003 Has anybody else come across this problem please? I have just found a strange thing. This organisation receives many 'Safety' related emails each day from a large Mining Client. The emails are sent from the Mining Client to us by 'forwarding as an attachment' so the actual email we receive is an attached ..msg file. Problem definition Emails are 'forwarded as an attachment' from outside this organisation to a crm user: The attachment on the received email is truncated to between 60 bytes and 200 bytes and is of course unreadable. There is...

sorting #3
i need to sort a column for addresses. i can get it to sort somewhat. example n 7 ave e n 7 ave w s 8 ave e s 8 ave w w 7 st s e 7 st s w 8 st n i would like to sort them by n w s e it puts them in n s but alphabetizes the w e ones any help? Go to Tools/Options/Custom Lists. Create a new list N, W, S, E. Then insert a column to the left of your data. Use Left(b1,1) (Im assuming your data is now in cell B1 since we inserted a column- change if you need to) to create a cheater column. Copy this formula down the length of your table. then select the cheater column you created and ...

Email router 4.0 with 3.0 Server
Is it possible to use Email Router 4.0 - because of Exchange Server 2007 - with CRM Server 3.0? Thanks, Mikl=F3s On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 01:11:27 -0800 (PST), miklos <mikloshoffmann@gmail.com> wrote: >Is it possible to use Email Router 4.0 - because of Exchange Server >2007 - with CRM Server 3.0? >Thanks, Mikl�s Simple answer - No -- Julian Sharp Vigence http://mscrm.spaces.live.com ...

Problem #3
I seem to have read somewhere that you can set up your e- mail address to send a default e-mail if you are away on holiday I wonder if anyone could help me. Hey Joe, you need a Exchange Server to to that. "Joe Ford" <carlie.hodge@uk.york.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:e00201c43c04$a996e1f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I seem to have read somewhere that you can set up your e- > mail address to send a default e-mail if you are away on > holiday I wonder if anyone could help me. > Bravestar <Bravestar@datenschutzministerium.de> wrote: > you need a Exchange ...

Wave 4 uhh ohh
Ain't that funny, in WLM MS first got rid of all icons and now with Wave 4 they put back in tons of fancy icons and ribbons and such. What change in direction... Mail: Looks good to me at first sight . Photo Gallery: Nice improvements, seems to be pretty cool. Sync: It can't sync with the old sync. So how will I be able to sync between my old XP and my new W7? This feature is essential to me. Messenger: For me too much integration with all this "social networks" stuff. Need to find a way to switch that off completely. Yep.. they got a lot ...

IE 8 and Adobe Reader 9.3.2
I am stumped! I am using Win XP Prof, IE 8, and Adobe Reader 9.3.2. When I attempt to 'open' a PDF file, a new window opens but the window crashes. Fortunately, I can press Ctrl-Alt-Del and close the 'crashed' window without having to reboot or close other programs that are open. If I go into Adobe's 'Edit, Preferences, Internet' settings and uncheck 'Display PDF in browser,' the PDF window opens fine without any issues. Why am I having this issue in the first place, why does unchecking the box open 'several' new windows instea...

CRM 3.0 and eMail from Outlook
I have a problem I need help solving. The has to do with the Outlook add-in for CRM 3.0 and email. When I get an email that I want to track in history for CRM, I select track in CRM and a reference item. THis part seems to work fine except that it puts the email in my "Assigned" My work queue. I can not delete this item from the queue without it also deleting it from the history for the specified reference. I can not mark it complete. How can I get it out of the queues while leaving it in the history? I have seen other remarks in the news group regarding this but never a r...

Migrating customers from CRM 3.0 to GP 9.0
Since the CRM <-> GP Connector was pulled with no release date in site, what is the procedure for migrating all our existing customers from CRM to Great Plaines? I can't believe we have to re-enter everyone and their contracts. Thanks, John I have been using Scribe software with great success for both Migration and Integration to GP 9.0 from MSCRM 3.0. I know it can be a little pricey but it does not need it's own server like biztalk did. Go to http://www.scribesoft.com for more information. Or you can contact me directly at bmeyer@cargas.com to get more information. -- ...

Exchange error #3
I am getting the following event in my exchange server system event with the event ID# 55: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. pls run the chkdsk utility on the volume E:. My backup is also failing.. Can someone help me to resolve this issue? Thanks, SV Sounds like you have a physical disk problem. The event you reference is not from Exchange but from the OS. -- Tyrone Cowart Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers ...

Macro Question #3
How do I get a sheet to move to the end of the workbook in excel. Thanks Greg Record a macro and you'll see it! Regards, Stefi „Greg” ezt írta: > How do I get a sheet to move to the end of the workbook in excel. > > Thanks > > Greg > > > right click on the sheet tab select "Copy or Move" then select "Move to End" Regards Hans Hi flummy, I think Greg wants a macro doing this, because I read his very similar question among the Programming topics! Greg, record as a macro what flummi said! Stefi „flummi” ezt írta: &...

Outlook not showing all email after OS upgrade and Office re-insta
Outlook is not displaying all of my email which is in the Inbox folder on two different machines. It does display all of the email in subfolders though. Here's what I did - I upgraded the operating system on two of my work machines to Windows 7 and, of course, had to reinstall Office. In both cases, Outlook is only displaying a subset of my email. My email is organized such that there are a number of folders under Inbox. These folders properly display their contents all the way back to when I was hired here last year. However, Inbox only has email in it for yesterday and to...

VBA customizations using toolbaar items in Ver 8.0 and Ver 9.0
How can we convert any VBA customizations using Toolbaar items to Version 8.0 or version 9.0 VBA code. We cant include toolbaar in VBA pprojects in Ver 8.0 or Ver 9.0 Got it.. Samit wrote: > How can we convert any VBA customizations using Toolbaar items to > Version 8.0 or version 9.0 VBA code. We cant include toolbaar in VBA > pprojects in Ver 8.0 or Ver 9.0 You can create a toolbar.package in v7.5 and import it into v8.0 or v9.0 to get the toolbar added to VBA. For v9.0, you will probably need to manually edit the package with notepad to remove the reference to the now miss...

Error Message #5.1.2 after Upgrading to Exchange 2003
I started seeing these error messages when sending email to employees after the upgrade. At the bottom of the error it lists the old server name. I've tried the reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook fix but that didn't work. The only other error I could find like this had to do with newsgroups. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: ****, ****** on 6/13/2005 2:06 PM The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address and try again, or contact your system...

test #4
test ...

Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2000 #3
We are planning to upgrade our corporate citrix servers from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. However, we are planning to leave our exchange servers as Exchange 2000 for the time being. Can anyone let me know any obvious pitfalls to this approach - or point me in the direction of any good documentation on the subject? Works fine - we're running XP Pro SP2, Office 2003 Pro, SBS 2000 [including Exchange 2000] David "Jo Winchester" <JoWinchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:682D8EF6-6961-401B-8270-C2A366BCAFD2@microsoft.com... > We are planning ...

Report for Zero Item Movement
There is an old post on this subject with the report attached. My newsreader won't let me go back that far. Does anybody have a copy of this report they can reattach. I would be most appreciative. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C9FBDA.4B899580 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0099_01C9FBDA.4B89BC90" ------=_NextPart_001_0099_01C9FBDA.4B89BC90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Amy, Try the one attached. --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point So...