Tracking emails

Hi,

I can't seem to get CRM 3.0 to automatically track emails received via my
Outlook Inbox.

The sequence is as follows:
1. Create new lead with unique name and email address
2. Email the lead -> email goes into the lead history
3. Receive email via webmail and reply to email from leads account
4. Email reply is received in outlook and is not picked up as a CRM lead
5. Click the Track in CRM button and it goes into my assigned activities
with an unresolved address - I note that the sender is the email address
rather than the friendly name for the lead.

Should CRM be able to do this? Are there any things to check?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brian
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Is it for every email or just most?  I think your problem might be with how
MS chooses to track messages via the subject line.  Since this is an open
field that is modifiable by the user any changes no matter how small disrupts
the tracking. ie. New string started, change to subject line, software which
scans and makes changes to subject line all will prevent autmatic tracking.

I have 1 user license and testing software for deployment but will not
deploy because 95% of messages are not tracked because of this mistake.

You can read my posts on the subject.  I am still waiting to find out what
happens when to different companies that email each other both use CRM 3.0.

"Dazed & Confused" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to get CRM 3.0 to automatically track emails received via my
> Outlook Inbox.
>
> The sequence is as follows:
> 1. Create new lead with unique name and email address
> 2. Email the lead -> email goes into the lead history
> 3. Receive email via webmail and reply to email from leads account
> 4. Email reply is received in outlook and is not picked up as a CRM lead
> 5. Click the Track in CRM button and it goes into my assigned activities
> with an unresolved address - I note that the sender is the email address
> rather than the friendly name for the lead.
>
> Should CRM be able to do this? Are there any things to check?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Brian
Thanks for your reply Gamonite,

It is all emails! It is happening even if I don't add a subject line! I have
set up  yahoo and hotmail accounts for testing and the CRM doesn't track it
when it arrives in my inbox - If i hit the button to say track in CRM, it
goes and associates it with the correct lead but I still have to hit the
button.

Could you outline the steps I should take to get something tracked
automatically?

Thanks for your help,

Brian

"Gamonite" wrote:

> Is it for every email or just most?  I think your problem might be with how
> MS chooses to track messages via the subject line.  Since this is an open
> field that is modifiable by the user any changes no matter how small disrupts
> the tracking. ie. New string started, change to subject line, software which
> scans and makes changes to subject line all will prevent autmatic tracking.
>
> I have 1 user license and testing software for deployment but will not
> deploy because 95% of messages are not tracked because of this mistake.
>
> You can read my posts on the subject.  I am still waiting to find out what
> happens when to different companies that email each other both use CRM 3.0.
>
> "Dazed & Confused" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can't seem to get CRM 3.0 to automatically track emails received via my
> > Outlook Inbox.
> >
> > The sequence is as follows:
> > 1. Create new lead with unique name and email address
> > 2. Email the lead -> email goes into the lead history
> > 3. Receive email via webmail and reply to email from leads account
> > 4. Email reply is received in outlook and is not picked up as a CRM lead
> > 5. Click the Track in CRM button and it goes into my assigned activities
> > with an unresolved address - I note that the sender is the email address
> > rather than the friendly name for the lead.
> >
> > Should CRM be able to do this? Are there any things to check?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help,
> >
> > Brian
Check to see if your message is getting delivered with the CRM:00X00X00.  If
it is not then you know your token is not getting applied.  If it is showing
up on the delivered email then you might want to check you antivirus
software.  Or trace the steps the email takes.  If anything modifies the
subject line on your end before it get out or for that matter on the way back
it will not track.

I know thats not what you are looking for but I hope it helps.

Note: If you do get it working I would suggest changing the CRM to something
that doesn't make it look like you are tracking your customers.  One thought
is scnd: which makes your customers think your antivirus scanned the message.
 But before you make anychanges to the token their is a hotfix from Microsoft
that needs to be applied first.  Otherwise you loose the ability to track or
send email from the CRM software.

"Dazed & Confused" wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Gamonite,
>
> It is all emails! It is happening even if I don't add a subject line! I have
> set up  yahoo and hotmail accounts for testing and the CRM doesn't track it
> when it arrives in my inbox - If i hit the button to say track in CRM, it
> goes and associates it with the correct lead but I still have to hit the
> button.
>
> Could you outline the steps I should take to get something tracked
> automatically?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Brian
>
> "Gamonite" wrote:
>
> > Is it for every email or just most?  I think your problem might be with how
> > MS chooses to track messages via the subject line.  Since this is an open
> > field that is modifiable by the user any changes no matter how small disrupts
> > the tracking. ie. New string started, change to subject line, software which
> > scans and makes changes to subject line all will prevent autmatic tracking.
> >
> > I have 1 user license and testing software for deployment but will not
> > deploy because 95% of messages are not tracked because of this mistake.
> >
> > You can read my posts on the subject.  I am still waiting to find out what
> > happens when to different companies that email each other both use CRM 3.0.
> >
> > "Dazed & Confused" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I can't seem to get CRM 3.0 to automatically track emails received via my
> > > Outlook Inbox.
> > >
> > > The sequence is as follows:
> > > 1. Create new lead with unique name and email address
> > > 2. Email the lead -> email goes into the lead history
> > > 3. Receive email via webmail and reply to email from leads account
> > > 4. Email reply is received in outlook and is not picked up as a CRM lead
> > > 5. Click the Track in CRM button and it goes into my assigned activities
> > > with an unresolved address - I note that the sender is the email address
> > > rather than the friendly name for the lead.
> > >
> > > Should CRM be able to do this? Are there any things to check?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help,
> > >
> > > Brian
Thanks once again!

My subject line reads: CRM:00080025 and I have turned my virus checker off
and still nothing - It sits in my inbox looking dumb!!! :-)
I also take your point about the CRM prefix - In fairness I think the token
method is pretty clumsy - I would have expected the token to be embedded in
the message header and therefore"invisible" to users.

I am wondering how worthwhile this will be if I can't get it to track at
least 80% of email messages....

Still thanks for helping me out - I appreciate it.

Brian
"Gamonite" wrote:

> Check to see if your message is getting delivered with the CRM:00X00X00.  If
> it is not then you know your token is not getting applied.  If it is showing
> up on the delivered email then you might want to check you antivirus
> software.  Or trace the steps the email takes.  If anything modifies the
> subject line on your end before it get out or for that matter on the way back
> it will not track.
>
> I know thats not what you are looking for but I hope it helps.
>
> Note: If you do get it working I would suggest changing the CRM to something
> that doesn't make it look like you are tracking your customers.  One thought
> is scnd: which makes your customers think your antivirus scanned the message.
>  But before you make anychanges to the token their is a hotfix from Microsoft
> that needs to be applied first.  Otherwise you loose the ability to track or
> send email from the CRM software.
>
> "Dazed & Confused" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply Gamonite,
> >
> > It is all emails! It is happening even if I don't add a subject line! I have
> > set up  yahoo and hotmail accounts for testing and the CRM doesn't track it
> > when it arrives in my inbox - If i hit the button to say track in CRM, it
> > goes and associates it with the correct lead but I still have to hit the
> > button.
> >
> > Could you outline the steps I should take to get something tracked
> > automatically?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Brian
> >
> > "Gamonite" wrote:
> >
> > > Is it for every email or just most?  I think your problem might be with how
> > > MS chooses to track messages via the subject line.  Since this is an open
> > > field that is modifiable by the user any changes no matter how small disrupts
> > > the tracking. ie. New string started, change to subject line, software which
> > > scans and makes changes to subject line all will prevent autmatic tracking.
> > >
> > > I have 1 user license and testing software for deployment but will not
> > > deploy because 95% of messages are not tracked because of this mistake.
> > >
> > > You can read my posts on the subject.  I am still waiting to find out what
> > > happens when to different companies that email each other both use CRM 3.0.

The word from Microsoft was that they did the research and found that the
only place guaranteed to not change the data was anything in the subject
line hence the reason the token goes there.

However I have to wonder whether you would get more lost tokens due to spam
blocking apps rather than the headers being changed etc

=======================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm

"Dazed & Confused" <DazedConfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:02209A56-B837-49EC-9627-E8F273DD2F5F@microsoft.com...
> Thanks once again!
>
> My subject line reads: CRM:00080025 and I have turned my virus checker off
> and still nothing - It sits in my inbox looking dumb!!! :-)
> I also take your point about the CRM prefix - In fairness I think the
> token
> method is pretty clumsy - I would have expected the token to be embedded
> in
> the message header and therefore"invisible" to users.
>
> I am wondering how worthwhile this will be if I can't get it to track at
> least 80% of email messages....
>
> Still thanks for helping me out - I appreciate it.
>
> Brian
> "Gamonite" wrote:
>
>> Check to see if your message is getting delivered with the CRM:00X00X00.
>> If
>> it is not then you know your token is not getting applied.  If it is
>> showing
>> up on the delivered email then you might want to check you antivirus
>> software.  Or trace the steps the email takes.  If anything modifies the
>> subject line on your end before it get out or for that matter on the way
>> back
>> it will not track.
>>
>> I know thats not what you are looking for but I hope it helps.
>>
>> Note: If you do get it working I would suggest changing the CRM to
>> something
>> that doesn't make it look like you are tracking your customers.  One
>> thought
>> is scnd: which makes your customers think your antivirus scanned the
>> message.
>>  But before you make anychanges to the token their is a hotfix from
>> Microsoft
>> that needs to be applied first.  Otherwise you loose the ability to track
>> or
>> send email from the CRM software.
>>
>> "Dazed & Confused" wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for your reply Gamonite,
>> >
>> > It is all emails! It is happening even if I don't add a subject line! I
>> > have
>> > set up  yahoo and hotmail accounts for testing and the CRM doesn't
>> > track it
>> > when it arrives in my inbox - If i hit the button to say track in CRM,
>> > it
>> > goes and associates it with the correct lead but I still have to hit
>> > the
>> > button.
>> >
>> > Could you outline the steps I should take to get something tracked
>> > automatically?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help,
>> >
>> > Brian

0
John
3/11/2006 4:45:43 AM
Hi,

I notice in the previous posts you mention:

>"If i hit the button to say track in CRM, it  goes and associates it with the correct >lead but I still have to hit the button."

I also note:

> My subject line reads: CRM:00080025

If the email message has an intact tracking token, you should not have to
manually track the message, the router should pick it up after receiving the
message in the "sink" mailbox.

Have you have deployed the forwarding rules to the user's mailbox via the
Rules Deployment Wizard?  The forwarding rule must exist in order for the
mail message to be forwarded to the "sink" mailbox, processed by the router
and then associated with a CRM entity.

You can check if the rule exists in Outlook by going to Tools -> Rules and
Alerts.  If you don't see a CRM rule, you need to deploy one.
--
Bob Fletcher

"Dazed & Confused" wrote:

> Thanks once again!
>
> My subject line reads: CRM:00080025 and I have turned my virus checker off
> and still nothing - It sits in my inbox looking dumb!!! :-)
> I also take your point about the CRM prefix - In fairness I think the token
> method is pretty clumsy - I would have expected the token to be embedded in
> the message header and therefore"invisible" to users.
>
> I am wondering how worthwhile this will be if I can't get it to track at
> least 80% of email messages....
>
> Still thanks for helping me out - I appreciate it.
>
> Brian
> "Gamonite" wrote:
>
> > Check to see if your message is getting delivered with the CRM:00X00X00.  If
> > it is not then you know your token is not getting applied.  If it is showing
> > up on the delivered email then you might want to check you antivirus
> > software.  Or trace the steps the email takes.  If anything modifies the
> > subject line on your end before it get out or for that matter on the way back
> > it will not track.
> >
> > I know thats not what you are looking for but I hope it helps.
> >
> > Note: If you do get it working I would suggest changing the CRM to something
> > that doesn't make it look like you are tracking your customers.  One thought
> > is scnd: which makes your customers think your antivirus scanned the message.
> >  But before you make anychanges to the token their is a hotfix from Microsoft
> > that needs to be applied first.  Otherwise you loose the ability to track or
> > send email from the CRM software.
> >
> > "Dazed & Confused" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for your reply Gamonite,
> > >
> > > It is all emails! It is happening even if I don't add a subject line! I have
> > > set up  yahoo and hotmail accounts for testing and the CRM doesn't track it
> > > when it arrives in my inbox - If i hit the button to say track in CRM, it
> > > goes and associates it with the correct lead but I still have to hit the
> > > button.
> > >
> > > Could you outline the steps I should take to get something tracked
> > > automatically?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help,
> > >
> > > Brian

Sending Emails
Hi, Does anybody know a way to automatically send emails. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. HEADER /* Definition of the CMailUtility class */ #if !defined __CMAILUTILITY_H__ #define __CMAILUTILITY_H__ #include "Mapi.h" class CMailUtility { //Members public: private: HMODULE m_hMAPIDLL; LPMAPISENDMAIL m_pfnMAPISendMail; //Methods public: CMailUtility( void ); ~CMailUtility( void ); bool SendMail( char* in_szAddressTo, char* in_szSubject, char* in_szMessage, char* in_szAttachments ); private: }; #endif //__CMAILUTILITY_H__ CPP SOURCE FILE /* Implementa...

Outlook express emails missing text
Can anyone out there help me discover why the body of my emails in outlook express are all blank. I was able to read all of my messages about 3 weeks ago but now every email I open has no content. It is a newsgroup that I have access to on web access as well.. Any suggestions please let me know.. Tks again Barb.. Barbra <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Can anyone out there help me discover why the body of my > emails in outlook express are all blank. I was able to > read all of my messages about 3 weeks ago but now every > email I open has no content....

Template Wizard with Data Tracking
I have been using this add-in just fine for about a year, gathering data from about 20 users onto an Excel Database by having them all use the template. But I recently made some changes and then began having the following problem: After a worksheet has been created using the template, and saved as a new record in the database, and then we want to go back in to change the record and update it in the database, the option does not appear to update the database; the only options continue to be to create a new record or to proceed without saving to the database. It is as though the sys...

Message Tracking #6
What is the best way to check if your exchange sometimes doesn't accepts mail (delay) or doesn't send mails correctly (delay) Message Tracking ? But how do you actually do this Kind regards Guillaume Coign� "Guillaume Coign�" <guillaume.coigne@trust-it.be> wrote: >What is the best way to check if your exchange sometimes doesn't accepts >mail (delay) or doesn't send mails correctly (delay) Message Tracking ? >But how do you actually do this Assuming you're asking about messages leaving your organization, the SMTP protocol logs are the place to ...

Email blocking
Is there any way that I can block all emails unless the sender is in my address book? I am having a problem with getting too much junk email. I know that the rule wizard is an option, but I am having a hard time figuring out the exact rule that I need. I would like all unknown senders sent to the deleted file, so that I can scan it before I delete it. There is the option to send all emails with specified words in the subject or the body to the deleted file (which hasn't seemed to work very well), but I want to know how to send all unrecognized senders to the deleted file. Does an...

how do i restore deleted email with out exchange?
I deleted my inbox by mistake. Does anyone know how to restore it if you don't have exchange? If the mailbox was stored in a .PST, you may be out of luck. The first thing to do is burn a copy of the .PST file to a CD. Next, I would use Google to search for something like "email recovery service". Good luck! "Kameelah" wrote: > I deleted my inbox by mistake. Does anyone know how to restore it if you > don't have exchange? Thanks I'll see how that works. BTW what is a PST file. "MichaelHensley" wrote: > If the mailbox was stored in a...

Track Changes compatibility between versions of Excel
I'm planning to undertake a project which involves Excel sheets created in Excel 2003 and tracking the changes made to those sheets via Excel 97. Does anybody know of any problems with the compatibility of this function? This would help me out a lot. Thanks. ...

How do I track half days in the attendance tracking template?
I've just created an attendance tracking template in Excel, however realized that there isn't an option to track half or quarter days taken off. Does anyone have any suggestions? A lot depends on how you've laid out the data. Instead of tracking whole days, can you track hours? 8 for a full day, 4 for a half day, etc. ...

AD User (Email) for Queue
Hi All, I just want some clarification for AD User/Email Account that is associated with CRM Queue. Do we need to disable this account? I read in the step by step in instructions from Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation & Configuration Curriculum: ================================================ If the Support Queue user account is enabled (it should not be if you selected the Disable this account option earlier), then right-click the Support Queue user object, click Disable Account and click OK. WARNING: Ensure that this account is a disabled account. If this account is not a disabled accoun...

aggregating emails for group reply
Say I have 100 emails from various people in my email box. I would like to send a single response to all of them (preferably with all of them in the bcc field). I prefer not going to each one separately with a reply or going to each email to save the recipient contact info, then put them in a contact group and then send a reply. Has anyone got any suggestions how I can do this quickly? create a view with only the from email address showing. copy the view and paste into the bcc field of a new message. See http://www.slipstick.com/exs/customfields.htm and http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/...

email restore
Hello: I recently had to wipe and restore my hard drive after viral infection. I was able to back everything up, and want to know how and where I can access all of my old emails and restore them to outlook express. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks. "steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bffa01c47a2c$86728ba0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello: > > I recently had to wipe and restore my hard drive after > viral infection. I was able to back everything up, and > want to know how and where I can access all of my old > emai...

I want to email only 1 page of my excel sheet how do I do that
I have an excel sheet that has three pages to it. I want to be able to email only one of the pages to a client. Is there any way I can do that? You can send the selection or range Maureen See my site for a example http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Maureen" <Maureen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB8883BB-90FB-424D-AC6A-D7899C1C5F96@microsoft.com... >I have an excel sheet that has three pages to it. I want to be able to email > only one of the pages to a client. Is there any way I can do that? ...

Tracking GST/VAT in MSMoney Standard
I'm new to Money & processing small business accounts. Had no problems tracking & reporting VAT in Quicken & havegot Money to calculate VAT with each relevant entry. Somehow just not finding a report that shows VAT totals, taxable income etc. Please HELP!!!!! ...

Email User Size
System Manager shows a user's mailbox size at over 3G. The ost says 600MB. Recently performed an offline defrag as well. The user uses a laptop through rpc or http as well as a desktop but I have removed the cache mode from that machine as well as the ost. Cannot figure out whether I need to delete the user's email account and recreate it or not. Any help would be appreciated. In ESM, go View | Add Remove coulumns and add the Deleted Items coulmn. Does that account for the discrepency? If so, delete their deleted items.... "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> ...

forward email as attachment`
I have Outlook 2002 and am trying to forward an email intact with full headers, like I can do in Outlook Express. I can not find any option for doing this. Is this "full-featured" program missing this feature? -- Mike D. www.stopassaultnow.net Remove .spamnot to respond by email use file, insert item or select two items, choose forward and delete the second message. Note that for reporting spam, its better to forward inline and copy the header and paste it into the message. There are utilities, such as pocketknife peek, that will make it easier. Or you can use a macro to ...

Missing email proposal in address field of new email
Hi, Where I work we are using Microsoft Outlook 2007 and windows XP professional. We do not have the routine to save all our contact information in Microsoft outlook contact. This has not been a problem up until now. Normally when we are starting to type an email address in the address field of a new email, outlook have always remembered and given us proposals of matching email addresses to which we have sent emails earlier. Today this did not work for one of our colleagues. It seems as some "memory bank" of outlook just vanished for his profile. My questions ...

Resolving email ID
I have a user rmack in the system. Instead of defining his email address as rmack@mycompany.com, I have set a group mail id (accounting@mycompany.com). The reason is that I want all mails sent to this user be sent to the accounting mail id. Whenever another user in CRM sends out a mail to this user, everything goes fine. But when you open the closed activity representing this mail, you will notice that this particular mail id could not be resolved to a record in the system. Am I doing something wrong? ...

Send an email to a list of emails in a worksheet
Hi !! Anybody can help me??...I need to send an email using Lotus to a lis of emails contained in a .xls file with that same file attached. Description: I have a .xls file with a list of e-mails and other data I have to send this file to the e-mails that are into the file and a the same time attach that file to the e-mail. Thank -- cexarsiad ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cexarsiado's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3780 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57370 see Ron d...

Outlook 2000: Any way to track Calendar access
I've opened up my Calendar for anyone to read in Outlook 2000. Is there any way to track who accesses it? ...

How to track meetings for a task?
How would you suggest to charge meeting time to a my Timesheet task? TIA! Depends on if it's a planned meeting or informal. I typically just create a bucket task through the entire schedule for "Meetings" or book it to PM time. You may also opt to create a distinct line item bucket task for status meetings as opposed to other ad hoc meetings. If it's a big phase gate meeting, I may list that specifically as a line item, but for anything less than that, it becomes too granular for effective management. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems...

email account not found
I've added my email accounts to Outlook 2003 and they both show up when I go to the "Add or Change" screen. But when I try to move them up or down I get a message, "The specified account was not found. It may have been deleted". Both email accounts are visiable when I try to ad or change them, but when I go to send an email, I get no options when I click on the "Accounts" button to change the accounts. Nor is there a SEND button. Other discussions suggests that this means that Outlook does not recognize an active email account. HELP! Try creating ...

Outlook 2003 Email Problem #2
am having an email problem with Outlook 2003. Here is the situation: Pentium 4 2.8 gig running windows XP Home. We are behind a SonicWall Tele3 firewall router that uses McAfee VirusScan ASap. We sent out an email to a selected group from our contact list and it sent some of them as many as 200 emails. But only to the selected group, not to the entire phone book. I immediately ran an update and full scan: no virus. I then called SonicWall tech support and got it kicked up to a level 3 tech who spent 3 hours on the phone with me trying to determine if the problem was an unknown virus ...

track Shipment
Is it possible to set up the Track Shipment so when you click on TRACK it is automatically bring up a browser with the tracking information? For UPS what will be the URL to set up? ...

Phantom Emailer?
I am running Windows 2000 Pro with Exchange 2000. I have one user who keeps getting undeliverable emails in her inbox that were sent from her, often at a time when the office is closed, to a user who was fired and uninstalled from our systems over a year ago! I have checked her delegates and no one is listed and I've verified the her emails are not being forwarded to another account. I have run Ad-aware and scanned for viruses on both our exchange server and on her local machine. Does anyone know what is going on here and how to fix it? Below I have included a copy of the u...

include Company logo in email template
I would like to include my company logo in email template? How can i do it? I am using Microsoft CRM 3.0. The image needs to be available via a publicly accessible internet address. (Such as http://www.mycompany.com/images/logo.gif) Open the image in IE at the public address, and Copy it from there, then paste it into your template. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "madhavi k" wrote: > I would like to include my company logo in email template? How can i do it? I > am using Microsoft CRM 3.0. Doesn't work... I have tried but still the url comes in th...